OtakuBoards

Songs and Bands You're Embarrassed to Like?

Semjaza

AHH! Damn you Wrist Cutter and Sem! Mentos has infected me!

I read both your posts and decided to download this song to hear how [b]bad[/b] it [i]really[/i] was. The first squeel of the cheesy synths in the background and the first "Do" of the song, i exploded into laughter. Then i played it again, chuckled a bit more. Then, almost sub-counciously, played it again and again...then i looked back at the lyrics Sem posted...then started to sing along...now all day this song has been stuck in my corrupt Mentos-little-Mind!!!

*breathes heavily*

Anyway, songs that i am embrassed to own or like...please...shoot me now. The Spice Girls..."If You Wanna Be My Lover, Ya Gotta Get With My Friends" and "Stop Right Now, Thank You Very Much! I Need Some Body With A Human Touch!"
Dammit....i even remembred the lyrics!

Also, i liked that "Ketchup Song" or something, the one that goes:
"I said a hey! Hay, Hey! They gimmie [insert random spanish here]"
I even...*sobs*...knew the...*cringes*...dance.

There are more, that i can't think of right now. Oh well, i'm going to die my hair ginger, pull cheesy faces while eating a packet of mints and while doing The Ketchup Dance!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=hotpink][size=1]Ha, this thread is so amusing.

I'm not really embarrassed or anything, but when I was in the sixth grade my favorite "bands" were Hanson and the Spice Girls. Yes, I was the typical sixth grader at the time.

I think of songs now that I like that aren't what I usually listen to...and I'd have to say that it's mostly songs that we danced to on my dance team. A couple of N'Sync songs, a Monica song, Bombs over Baghdad, gah so many others I can't even think.

I have this huge obsession with "Baby Got Back" and all the many different versions of it I can find. ^_^[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Harlequin [/i]
[B][font=gothic][color=indigo]Jack, you have seen my CD collection haven't you? We have enough utter crap to shame anyone here...

But anyway, I'll admit I am a major Meatloaf fan, still (the piano solo in Bat Out Of Hell stands as the best I've ever heard, and the drums in Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us puts nearly anyone to shame)... And there's that "Another Love Song" by Amiel

Other than that, the only bands that several people seem to think I should be ashamed of liking are Bright Eyes, Screamfeeder, Depeche Mode, J Masic and the Fog, Nightwish, and Warren Zevon. Now, I'm firmly convinced all of these bands/artists are acceptable, but you'd be surprised how many people disagree.[/font][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1] Nightwish? They are great. And Meatloaf? You're embarrassed to like [i]Meatloaf[/i]?

Why?

All the bands you listed are great bands lol. I do not see why you even posted them. Meatloaf is great.[/size]

Guest Skyechild91
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]
I have a couple. I've always liked The Call by the Backstreet Boys. I don't know why, but I just think it's a really solid song... aside from the annoying girl going "Hello??" and "Where are you??". I want to hit her...

Hard.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Me too.... Hehe... I got a better idea, how bout you borrow my folding chair? ANywhoo, Um.... Britney Spears... yeah... I love her music, cuz it sounds kool, and i can sing along with it good. i mean, you walk in and im singing along and you cant tell whos singing, me or britney, im that good... or bad, depending how you think she sings. lets see....
[QUOTE]And Meatloaf? You're embarrassed to like[I] Meatloaf? [/I][/QUOTE]How can you be embarrassed to like them?! They are awsome! ::starts singing Bat Out Of Hell:: sorry, I luv meatloaf, I never would hav thought of them...

Guest Skyechild91
Sad is right... ive started one and no ones posted on it.... ::whines:: anywhoo, like i said, wanna borrow my folding chair for that obnoxious girl? ::grins::

[size=1] This is a bit pointless in a thread where you're supposed to tell everyone bands and songs you're embarrassed to like, but I see no point in being embarrassed. I really dislike anyone who thinks one genre of music 'sucks' just because it doesn't suit their tastes. Music itself is a huge element with thousands of branch-offs and evolutions.....

Anyways, I think it's stupid when your friends make fun of you because you like a certain song. OMG that song isn't rap yur a lozer. *rolls eyes* I have many music genres that don't suit my tastes, but I will never say it 'sucks' or anything along the lines of that. [If I did before, then I'm sorry]. SO I do not care whether people think it's odd for me to like certain types of music. You shouldn't be, really.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]Ha, this thread is so amusing.

I'm not really embarrassed or anything, but when I was in the sixth grade my favorite "bands" were Hanson and the Spice Girls. Yes, I was the typical sixth grader at the time.
[color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

There is another shameful adiction...Hanson. I loved them...sadly. I actually had all their CDs and even had....*sigh* there Live Video Tape. I still remeber the lyrics lol:
Mmmmm Bop Do Ee A Da Doo Bop
LMAO! Ah...the memories i hoped to hide forever...submerged frm the darkness....DAMN THIS THREAD!

I think you're missing the point. The point is to name of some bands that you normally don't think you'd like, but for whatever reason appeal to you. I'd normally not think I'd like any BSB songs, because I just am not into that stuff at all... but I like the Call. That doesn't mean I can't respect that they do what they do well (assuming the band I'm referring to at the time is even any good). I'll listen to whatever I feel is good at the time, but there are still songs that are "guilty pleasures" so to speak.

There's no reason to break it down into some sort of debate like that... it has little to do with my original post. It's just for fun. People think too hard.

[color=#006699]I like a John Mayer song, I'm unaware of the title but I seem to have it stuck in my head all the time. =p

"I wanna run through the halls of my highschool, I wanna scream at the top of my lungs, I just found out" and I can't remember anything else. But I'll be singing it all day and my family members will look at me strangely, as I mainly listen to techno (Aphex Twin-ish stuff) and rock-ish type stuff. (Rammstein; Deftones; ect.)[/color]

Arghhh, I'm such a hypocrite, all the artists I despise, always have one song I like. "Carousel" by Blink 182, "With You" by Avril Lavigne, "This is the New ****" by Marylyn Manson.

Also, I love 80's new wave! Billy Idol, Tears for Fears, Kim Wilde!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dragonstar [/i]
[B]I also like Daft Punk [/B][/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with liking Daft Punk! In fact, you must listen more!

That John Mayer song is called "No Such Thing." If I remember correctly, it was his first big hit.

The one song I'm truly embarrassed about liking is Liz Phair's new single, "Why Can't I?" She's an older, ex-indie artist and single mother who somehow manages to sound exactly like Avril Lavigne. That's probably due to the fact that the Matrix songwriting team produced both women's recent albums.

EDIT: Rammstein is amazing.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Epid3mic [/i]
[B]Arghhh, I'm such a hypocrite, all the artists I despise, always have one song I like. "Carousel" by Blink 182, "With You" by Avril Lavigne, "This is the New ****" by Marylyn Manson.[/B][/QUOTE]

How you can like a song as average and repetitive as This Is the New **** by Manson and nothing else, I have no idea. Sounds like you're missing out to me... I love Manson and don't even like half the singles.

[B]You know what's embarrassing?

The fact that this has more posts than any other music thread I've ever made.

Well not embarrassing as much as it is slightly disappointing lol [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=CC0000]Yeah. Poor AFI, MM and NIN. *bows head*

I normally listen to punk, rock and some harder stuff, so liking a dance track by DJ Sammy called Sunrise is out of the ordinary for me. I don't so much like the music or beat of it, but the girl's voice in this song is.. heavenly? Yeah that's the word.

I also like other dance songs, by Kosheen; mostly Suicide and Hungry. I love the singer's voice, and the really fast beat in Suicide is soooo cool. I'm not so much embarrased of liking the Kosheen songs, none of my friends IRL have ever heard of them so it's fine, lol.[/size][/color]

[size=1]I do not think there is anything that I listen these days that I am really ashamed to admitting I like. I have become a lot more open with everything that I listen to so much that I am just at the point where I do not care it is is out of the norm.

I actually tend to surprise a lot of people when they stop by my house and come down to the computer where I am and find me listening to anything but loud, brash, and/or possibly offensive music. I surprised my mom yesterday when she came down and Badly Drawn Boy, who I was indirectly introduced to by Tony, was playing on my Winamp. So people are shocked at some music I listen to simply because they stereotype me with another.

It is more so the music I [i]have[/i] listened to that most people do not know. However, if they ask or it comes up in conversation I am not going to hesitate to bring it out.

The first musical artist I ever got into was Michael Jackson back when I was a wee child. I believe I still have his movie [i]Moonwalker[/i], and my mom even made a birthday themed off of him. Of course, he has changed dramatically since then, and my tastes have also changed. Of course on pop artist leads to others, and my brother got me into rap (but he actually listens to some of the good stuff). So through a lot of my childhood I was inbetween pop and rap. When I started becoming a teen the rap led to bands like Limp Bizkit and such, and their rock side branched off to hard rock/metal, like Marilyn Manson and Powerman 5000; and more alternative style music like late Greenday and the Offspring. When I hit freshman year in high school I met a friend who then introduced me to AFI and from there I got more and more into punk music which led to a little bit of ska, eventually dipping into hardcore, and then being introduced to psychobilly with bands such as Tiger Army and the Nekromantix. That went strong for a couple years until I just kind of relaxed and I just listen to anything that I believe sounds good. Typically this falls under the [i]general[/i] categories of punk, hardcore, psychobilly, metal, goth, ska, rock, classical, and other related types.

So really, I more or less just do not care anymore, heh.[/size]

[color=midnightblue]Actually, it seems whenever I like a song my peers all turn on me and my preference of music. This is mostly found with my passion for Japanese music. I am labeled a nerd and a geek with horrible taste in tunes because I listen to foreign music. J-pop and J-rock just appeal to me, I'm not entirely sure why, and what other people thing is of little or no importance to me.

Also, it seems that whenever I like a popular American singer or group, they all suddenly die and fade away or their loyal fanbase crumbles for whatever reason. This situation is not frequent with me, though. The majority of American music does not appeal to me.

It's not that I am embarassed to listen to J-pop and J-rock-- I take pride in it. It's just annoying that the masses frown upon my passion for Japan in general. That's as close as I get to being "embarassed" about music. If I listened to the Teletubbies theme song and rocked out to it, that would be an embarassing guilty pleasure on my part. But that is [i]far[/i] from what I listen to.[/color]

[color=deeppink]I just obtained a couple Britney Spears songs via illegal interaction with the internet...

I guess she would be a pop star that someone like me would be ashamed to like. But I think she's a great dancer and she's pretty and her songs are great to dance to. So...I guess I could say I'm embarassed to like her stuff, but I'm not so sure that I am. I think that with my confidence that I can pull it off ^_^[/color]

[size=1][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OtakuSennen [/i]
[B][color=midnightblue]Actually, it seems whenever I like a song my peers all turn on me and my preference of music. This is mostly found with my passion for Japanese music. I am labeled a nerd and a geek with horrible taste in tunes because I listen to foreign music. J-pop and J-rock just appeal to me, I'm not entirely sure why, and what other people thing is of little or no importance to me.

Also, it seems that whenever I like a popular American singer or group, they all suddenly die and fade away or their loyal fanbase crumbles for whatever reason. This situation is not frequent with me, though. The majority of American music does not appeal to me.

It's not that I am embarassed to listen to J-pop and J-rock-- I take pride in it. It's just annoying that the masses frown upon my passion for Japan in general. That's as close as I get to being "embarassed" about music. If I listened to the Teletubbies theme song and rocked out to it, that would be an embarassing guilty pleasure on my part. But that is [i]far[/i] from what I listen to.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

:toothy: I have an excuse since I'm Korean. ^_^ [although I do listen to K-pop/rock a lot] Most Americans can't tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Korean anyway.[/size]

[B]How you can like a song as average and repetitive as This Is the New **** by Manson and nothing else, I have no idea. Sounds like you're missing out to me... I love Manson and don't even like half the singles. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think it has something to do with it's association with The Matrix Reloaded soundtrack, the Matrix tends to make everything better for me...:love:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maladjusted [/i]
[B][size=1] Most Americans can't tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Korean anyway.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]
hmm..i never heard korean music before
but, i have heard chinese (ever hear of she? really good ^_^ )
and i heard alot of j-pop..
but, never korean (i think it would be interesting to hear)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Epid3mic [/i]
[B]I think it has something to do with it's association with The Matrix Reloaded soundtrack, the Matrix tends to make everything better for me...:love: [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I was pretty disappointed with that CD. I feel like I really wasted my money when I bought it. I think I should just give it away. I never listen to it. *Sighs*

That stupid song "Da Dip" or whatever is one of my current obsessions. Yes, it's VERY old. But I choreographed a routine to it once and it was so super awesome.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=maroon]Ah, Powerman 5000. I still have that.

There are a couple Nsync songs that I have to dance to whenever they come on. Well, not dancing as much as jumping around like a retarded ballerina, but hey, whatever works. Pop songs are just [i]fun[/i] to sing to.

I really like The Calling, too, even though some of their songs really suck.

And like many, I love the 80s, and I'm proud of it. Nobody has hair cooler than David Bowie![/color][/size]