OtakuBoards

Gravitation Manga

Dagger

I've always wanted to see Gravitation, but I'm planning on waiting until it's released in the US (which should be fairly soon.... spring of 2004, if I'm correct). Anyway, I was at a local bookstore the other day, and I ran into a few volumes of the Gravitation manga (translated by Tokyopop).

Now, I really hadn't been interested in reading the manga. I'd looked it up on Amazon, and apparently the translation was something of a hack job. Since I haven't seen the anime, I have no basis for comparison.... but so far it seems fairly decent. And the artwork is absolutely gorgeous. I simply couldn't resist buying the first volume

If you've read the official English release, how does it compare to fan translations, or to the anime? I'd love to read your replies.

~Dagger~

I think that the anime and the manga is ok. I borrowed the first volume of the manga from a friend and I think that it is interesting. I own 7 of the episodes of the anime. I just think that it is alright. I rate it like 6 out of 10.

I haven't actually read the manga through yet... (it dropped on my doormat this morning ;)) but from what I've seen and fan translations it seems pretty neato ^_^

It differs from the anime that - in the first instance - Shuuichi doesn't have a sister in the anime. Or at least she's never mentioned... So I'm waiting for it to be pretty different. But what I've seen so far looks promising ^_^;;

[size=1] No, Suuichi doesn't have a sister in the anime. The manga and anime have their differences, but I love both of them. I've picked up volume one of the Gravitation manga, and I'd have to say I really enjoy it. I've seen all of the anime, and I generally prefer anime over manga, so I guess you can do the math.

^_~ There's actually two versions of the Gravitation manga. The first version is shounen-ai; the second is yaoi.[/size]

Heh, mal, I was waiting for you to reply to this. ^___^

I stayed up late last night finishing the first volume.... and whatever anyone else says, I really love it. The character designs are great (especially Yuki....), and even though the art isn't always perfect, there are so many sweet and hilarious moments.

Manga rarely makes me laugh, so I tend to be wary of romantic comedies. But so far, Gravitation is awesome. I can't wait to see the anime.

~Dagger~

• 1 year later...
I love gravitation. I just wonder how many other guys do. It is so totally my favorite manga. Murakami Maki is so cool,the charicters are like oh my gosh, like do any of you think yuki is way cute in a kind of fobidden love kind of way? Shuiichi is like my role model he's got like the same personality as me? whats your favorite character?[COLOR=Black][/COLOR] :love:

[color=deeppink][size=1]I forgot who's recommendation I picked Gravitation up on (mighta been Dagger's, lol), but I'm currently addicted to it.

The thing that I truly love about the Gravitation manga is that the characters are so imperfect and messed up, and how, much like real life, their problems actually get in the way of their love. There are very few stupid, sappy scenes, and it goes against all the expectations one would have of a "romantic comedy". Eiri's abusive and arrogant and Shuichi's desperate and immature, they love each other, but the relationship is often on the rocks.

This is added to Shuichi's unique career and couple of very much out-there characters (I love K. He is the most hilarious character in the whole manga, in my opinion.) and it's just gorgeous.

The only thing I dislike about it is that sometimes it seems so obscurely random that it feels like she's (the mangaka) is just pulling plot twists out of her butt and sticking them in there. Slightly confusing.

But hey. I only read it to look at Eiri Yuki's bad *** sexiness. So it's all good.

YAY FOR FANSERVICE!

-Karma[/size][/color]

I don't know if the gravitation I've read is the translated one or the other one.
@Miryoku: Your not the only guy who likes Gravitation. I like it the most out of all the manga i've read (which is not a lot). Also my favorite character would have to be tatshuya (sp??). Really it just seems to me that he's a combination of yuki's and suichi's personalities.Also he's really hot.

Big yay for the Gravitation manga! I haven't read the real thing yet, just a few scanlations. I hope to pick up some copies this Christmas. ;) I've heard many opinions of the manga, good and bad. Some people I've talked with say the style of the art turns them away. I happen to think its pretty cute art! (But that's just my opinion ^_^) I just love their eyes! :love: Haha, sry. Was I getting OT?

(BTW, First post!)

[QUOTE=MetallicMink]Big yay for the Gravitation manga! I haven't read the real thing yet, just a few scanlations. I hope to pick up some copies this Christmas. ;) I've heard many opinions of the manga, good and bad. Some people I've talked with say the style of the art turns them away. I happen to think its pretty cute art! (But that's just my opinion ^_^) I just love their eyes! :love: Haha, sry. Was I getting OT?

(BTW, First post!)[/QUOTE]

Welcome to OB. ^_^

For whatever it's worth, the artwork significantly improves over the course of the series. Some of the character designs change as well, but nearly everyone except Shuichi (oddly enough) is recognizable from volume to volume. I don't know which portion of the series you've seen or read, but the first book does have pretty iffy artwork at some points. It's clear that Maki Murakami originally had some trouble drawing faces in profile, and it's interesting to see how she revised and cleaned up her style.

I actually love the visual layout and look of the later volumes. I'm particularly fond of screentone-heavy manga, and Ms. Murakami does use a lot of screentone. Happily, the panels are nicely sized and not at all cramped.

~Dagger~

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=Olive]I've read the manga and seen the first volume of the anime. The anime was def. better (in my opinion.) I felt that you connect more with the characters in the anime than you do in the manga. Plus the translation isn't all that good. Also I didn't really like the art in the manga, so that might have gotten in the way of my enjoyment.[/COLOR]

I'm happy to report that volume 9 is vastly superior to volume 8, and is (in my judgment) probably one of the most pivotal installments of the series. It's just disheartening to remember that there are only three books left.

I was astonished to find that Shuichi had actually developed a backbone. The events in this volume really go to show how much he's grown since the beginning of the series (which makes his increasingly shouta-ish character design appear unintentionally ironic). Seeing Shuichi declare, [spoiler]"I'm not his pet hamster or his cheap cup of ramen, and all the other things he has only the occasional moment for. To put it plainly, [i]I am not his *****![/i][/spoiler] was deeply gratifying--and this time he walked his talk, rather than crumbling at the last moment.

Things even got to the point that several characters started questioning Eiri's humanity, which was pretty interesting and shed some more light on his eternally confusing and contradictory personality. And Reiji, who was unbelievably annoying in volume 8, has begun to come into her own. [spoiler]Her crush on Shuichi[/spoiler] could have been handled badly, but I thought it ended up being rather cute, especially when [spoiler]Shuichi gently turned her down.[/spoiler] By the way, am I the only one who suspects that she and Judy have something going on?

Yuki has another hilarious encounter with Sakano, and [spoiler]Kitazawa's[/spoiler] transgendered little brother shows up! His conversation with Shuichi was both touching and somewhat creepy, particularly when he impersonated [spoiler]Kitazawa.[/spoiler]

All in all, a hilarious and very satisfying volume that nicely set the stage for future hijinks. I'm really happy with this one, particularly considering how much I disliked volume 8. ^_^

~Dagger~

I completely agree with Dagger on volume 9.

I absolutely love this volume of Gravitation. I was actually taken aback when Shuichi stood up for himself. It gave me the feeling that he might actually be "growing up". The cast of characters in this particular volume was quite amusing...except for [spoiler]Kitazawa's[/spoiler] younger brother. It would really creep me out if I were Yuki to even be near that guy since he does that impersonation thing. There is just no way I could handle being in a room with someone who is the [spoiler]spitting image of the man I killed[/spoiler] and caused so much pain in my life.

I did love how K reacts to Reiji and her crush on [spoiler]Shuichi [/spoiler]. Only K would find her use of weapons, like a bazooka, on [spoiler]Shuichi[/spoiler] as a true sign of her love! I guess I am also a bit biased since my eyes lit up when I first saw [spoiler]Reiji's mecha "panda of love". How can anyone turn down a panda?! Especially one with missles and is 50 feet tall![/spoiler] For some strange reason I have really started to like K since reading this volume.

All in all I think volume 9 of Gravitation has been my favorite one so far.

Oh and Dagger, I agree with you about [spoiler]Reiji and Judy. There is that panel that shows Judy kissing Reiji and the way it looked was like it was more than just a friendly kiss on the cheek.[/spoiler] Oh this cast of characters gets more and more interesting every volume!

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]It's a shame that I only own Volumes 1 and 2. Dang if their ain't some funny stuff in there. I feel that Shuichi seems to have a lot more to say for himself in the manga than in the anime (not that he doesn't have a lot to say in the anime ^_~), and the whole interaction between he and Yuki is just so comical and yet sincere, it's amazing.

I really should branch out into further volumes...*sigh*[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest Whiteflame
My sister introduced Gravi. to me. At first it was akward reading it 'cause, well, I'm a guy. But it actually turned out to be okay...

DON'T LOOK AT ME FUNNY!!!!! :p

• 5 months later...
[COLOR=DarkOrange]Well folks, it's almost at an end! This July marks the final installment of [B]Gravitation[/B]. But you know what? I get the feeling the ending is gonna be a bit sudden :animeangr I think that [B]Dagger[/B] mentioned somewhere/sometime that the mangaka will be continuing the story, right? If that's the case, then yay! I'd definitely read more...plus I LOVE her artwork.[/COLOR]

• 8 months later...
Hi everyone, this thread is for everyone who likes the show called gravitation. Well anyways I wanted to talk about its manga. I think the show is so much better because the manga shows Shuchi looking so much older and HE NEVER HAD A SISTER!!! o.o its very confushing but its a great manga and its funny. Though the plot seems off track with show. :catgirl: And its yaoi anyway : D haha.

I just love the manga to death. The anime is really good but alot shorter. The manga is different but just as good, maybe better. Sure in the manga he has a sister, but it adds to the funny. The Shuichi in the manga looks alot older then the anime one. And isn't he older in the anime???? That confused me :animestun . Yeah I find that it is off track with it as well, but it's different from the manga some ways, but still follows it a bit. Which is always good, well in my eyes. Both are super good and I love them. And it's a good laugh, I say to anyone reading this that hasn't seen or read it. READ IT, IT'S SO FUNNY, AND CUTE. ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!! :D

[quote name='BloodRainShadow'] I think the show is so much better because the manga shows Shuchi looking so much older and HE NEVER HAD A SISTER!![/quote]
She was just cut out of the TV series. No need to get all worked up over her appearance in the manga (which [i]is[/i] the original story, I might add). She has a couple of nice scenes in the Gravitation OVA as well. I like her, personally; I wish she had been in the manga more, but I guess she wasn't crazy enough to merit getting more page space. :p

Although the artwork at the end of the manga is clearly superior, I prefer the more mature look that Shuichi sports in the initial volumes. But if you dislike it, I guess you'll enjoy the lolita-ization he undergoes as the series continues.

~Dagger~

I like the Gravitation manga more than the anime its funnier...well except for the extra gravitation volumes that probably will never be licenced in the U.S. because of whats in them :) lol i had to download the extra volumes straight from the author and she had them under a password lol the only problem is that they were not translated but lets just say they didnt have to be translated lol all Shuichi and Yuki do in the original manga is kiss but in the extra volumes they did everything on every page lol

Those aren't "extra volumes," they're doujinshi done by Murakami. That distinction, not Gravi Remix's actual content, is what means that it won't have an American release. Equally explicit BL manga have been available here for a while.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Dagger]She was just cut out of the TV series. No need to get all worked up over her appearance in the manga (which [i]is[/i] the original story, I might add). She has a couple of nice scenes in the Gravitation OVA as well. I like her, personally; I wish she had been in the manga more, but I guess she wasn't crazy enough to merit getting more page space. :p

Although the artwork at the end of the manga is clearly superior, I prefer the more mature look that Shuichi sports in the initial volumes. But if you dislike it, I guess you'll enjoy the lolita-ization he undergoes as the series continues.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

I wonder why they cut her out? She would creep everyone out and it would have been a great laugh. No offense to her that is. lol I don't dislike anything much about the manga. Oh yea did you ever see the OVA with the 2 dvds I think it was?! I want to see it but I'll spoil everything...........so....painful :animecry: It takes forever for my computer to download the shows :animedepr I will be like 50 before it's done. :p just kiding lol.

[quote name='Aine']I like the Gravitation manga more than the anime its funnier...well except for the extra gravitation volumes that probably will never be licenced in the U.S. because of whats in them :) lol i had to download the extra volumes straight from the author and she had them under a password lol the only problem is that they were not translated but lets just say they didnt have to be translated lol all Shuichi and Yuki do in the original manga is kiss but in the extra volumes they did everything on every page lol[/quote]

WHAT THE!? :animeknow NOW I'M AFRAID. How did you download them? Good thing it doesn't have the extra volumes in the US but it would leave a big black hole above us. :animecry: oh well. Yea I agree, the manga was funnier. I remember when I first got it, I started to read it during math class, I started to crack up and my teacher thought I went mad. :animeswea But he never found out. ;) But than it was like BEWARE THE MANGA DURING MATH CLASS!!! That is the one class I don't want to mess up in :catgirl: :animeswea .

[color=darkblue][size=1][b]Combined your posts. Please try to remember to not double-post in the future. ^^ -Lady K[/color][/size][/b]

[color=dodgerblue]I've just recently become acquainted with Gravitation and omg, it's like... my one true love!!! Lol, I really really love it. Yuki/Shuichi = OTP ^_^
Anyways, lol, thanks for the humongerous spoiler! I haven't watched the shows or whatever, so yeah... Shuichi doesn't have a sister... =___= *dies*[/color]

Uh... what spoiler? Shuichi's sister is there from the very first manga chapter, and she just isn't there at all in the anime series. There's nothing about her that [i]can[/i] be spoiled. Unless you were being sarcastic. :animeswea

~Dagger~