OtakuBoards

OtakuBoards: Enter the Net [PG]

Solo Tremaine

Ah pure yayness!! I got a mention, you have no idea how ecstatic tht made me. Anyway, I think i have to concur with Leh, getting beaten up by Raiha is not a good thing *chuckles*. Anyway, I really like where this is going so far. The cookie thing had me killing myself with laughter

"Ah....cookies."

Oh the hilarity. I look forward to seeing how you deal with the Adventure Arena that should prove to be very interesting.

Congrats

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=#503F86]OtakuBot's a Famicom Disk, eh? I shall have to remember that ^_^

Heh, I won't be able to include everyone, but I will gladly give someone a mention if I can fit them in. As it happens I needed a gap for a few someone to be clobbered by Raiha, so Leh and doukeshi03 filled it rather nicely ^_~

Anyway, thank you for reading through it all.It means a lot to me. I'm really glad it's so popular. Rest assured, Chapter 3 will be on its way soon ^_^

But I have re-edited the last bit of the second chapter. I almost kicked myself when I found out I'd forgotten about ModRods. But that has now been rectified, hehe.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by terra [/i]
[B]Bwee, I'm the first to post! (... Did I just say "bwee"?)[/B][/QUOTE]

Bleh, I would've been first to post had the stupid library not closed. You've won this round, terra! *shakes fist*

Anyway, another great chapter, Solo. I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't go into further detail with the gaming section but it's not such a big deal considering how good the story is so far.

I just think you're doing everything so cleverly, Solo. I love all the little touches that you've put into this story. It's definitely getting very good.

I can't wait for the next chapter ^_^

EDIT: Now that I'm at home, I can go into more detail >_>

The description of each section was really cool (man, I would so love to go into the Poetry, Fan Fiction and Literature section...so many good books @_@). Also, any story with OtakuBot is cool (he's a Famicom cartridge for God's sakes - he's automatically cool).

From what I know of everyone, your description of their mannerisms and their speech is spot on (I think everyone loves Charles' line that Lady K. pointed out lol).

And I'm also scared of giving certain mods so much power...who knows what they'll do with it...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solo Tremaine [/i]
[B][COLOR=#503F86]
?What the Boom Boom Da-Donka Da Donk happened here?? Charles exclaimed.[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue]That was my favorite part by far, lol.

That was a very good chapter, Solo. I like the way you described everything, though if you could have squeezed some more in, it might have been better. Just my personal opinion on that account. ^^;

OtakuBot was pretty funny in his own right. Poor little guy. So unappreciated, lol. Though somehow, I sense a fight to the death between him and Shy on the horizon...

Like I said before, great stuff. Can't wait for the next one. ^^[/color]

[color=deeppink]
Heh..heh...quite amusing Solo. Quite. I must admit, I liked the first chapter better...but that's probably because I adore humour. A bit confusing at times, espcially for newer members * cough like myself cough * but that can't be avoided. Just try not to make it too involved...I'm sure you'll leave half of us in the HTML-ified dust. ^-~ Great job, I faithfully await the next chapter!

[color=hotpink][size=1]Yes! I was Chii, I had the Ruffly Dress, AND I had my Plushiewand! I am late to my chemistry class because I was reading this story. And I enjoyed it most thoroughly. Thanks for having me in it. ^_^ Now, on to the love affairs! >.>;; (At least, if I was writing it, it would be like that...one big SOAP OPERA! ^_^)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

All you people are worring about the adventure forum(well, some of you). What I'm freaking out about is how many members we're going to lose in the Battle Arena. eek!

I like to think that I'm in there somewhere, desperately trying to find a Jaco Pastorius avatar. Hopefully with the look comes the talent.

Well Solo, good job. I like it.

[color=midnightblue]Heheh, I'm in it twice. I feel special.

Anyway, this is a very well-written, nicely thought out fanfic. I wouldn't have expected less from you, Solo. The concept of all OtakuBoards members on one island is very pleasant and something I'm sure many of us would thoroughly enjoy.

My favorite aspect of it is probably the lines you've written that were said by people such as Charles and Shy. They fit the characters' personalities perfectly, and they are very humorous in an in-joke sort of way.

I knew I had heard the term OtakuBot from somewhere before I read this..

[b]9.8/10[/b] Keep it coming, Solo. Great work.

*drools profusely* An Anime Lounge filled with free DVDs to borrow..[/color]

[color=indigo]I can't wait till we get to the Zelda forum. I imagine a virtual Hyrule, with me sitting on the throne of Hyrule Castle, Mod Rod in hand and Master Sword on my back. People forming a line, waiting their turn to ask gameplay questions... :toothy:[/color]

[color=royalblue]YES! I have inflicted pain and led an expedition across great mountain ranges! I'd say you've got my persona down really good..... of course to make it realistic, I should swear alot and seduce a few moderators, maybe even an administrator with a name that begins with a C.

On that note, if I can inflict a little pain in the morning, I sleep better at night.[/color]

[COLOR=#503F86]I just have a little bit more to do for Chapter 3, which will be here tomorrow. I'm going out tonight, so I've no time to revise the draft. But in the meantime, I have a little something I wrote for a chapter idea that I've pretty much scrapped for the time being. I might try writing it again if I can think of a better plot, but not right now.

If anyone remembers the old Gladiators series that used to be on ITV some years ago, you'll probably recognise this more. It's a parody of that song.

Here we go:

[b]THE [strike]GLADI[/strike] MODERATORS![/b]

Do you feel the power of the Moderators?
Can you face the challenge of the SuperMods?
Do you have the quality of a member?
Do you have the knowledge and the skill?

Do you have the speed, the strength, the heart to be Otaku?
It's not for the n00bs.
Deep down in your soul...
Are you a Moderator?

Gotta post like you?re over eight.
Gotta face the fire of the debate.
Gotta give your all to win.
Ready or not, let the challenge begin.

Can you match the strength of the Moderators?
Do you have anime within you?
Do you have the posts of a king?
Do you have the colour in your text?

Now it's time to race, it's face-to-face, get on the forum now.
There's no abbreviations here.
Your future's on the line.
Are you a Moderator?

Gotta type with lightning speed.
Use the words for what you need.
Gotta keep it to the topic.
Gotta love it, love to fight the spam.

Do you feel the power of the Moderators?
Can you face the challenge of the champions?
Show the stuff you're made of.
Can you edit the fate of...
The Moderators?
Can you challenge the Moderators?
Will you take on the Moderators?
Will you be the new champion?

The Moderators!

The premise of the chapter was that Members would go against Moderators in a series of weird events, but I couldn't think of a decent way of pulling it off. I really like the song though, so I thought I'd keep it, hehe.

Stay tuned ^_^[/COLOR]

*dies laughing* I didn't know you were British solo ^_^. I used to watch teh Gladiators all the time, my favourite was cobra with his whole backflip kick thingy. I love the song, you should have that playing every time one of the mod's walks into a room *chuckles*.

Wow, I can't believe I haven't read this until now! Real good, and some of my favorie bits include "Syk trying to avoid unintentionally crushing everyone," and the "cookies" reference.

Fun stuff, Solo, can't wait to see what happens in Adventure Arena.

[size=1]Now [i]I[/i] want to be in it...Adventure Arena is my pad, man...[/size]

Oh my God, Solo, can I be your new best friend? I thought that song was so hysterical, and I don't even know what this Gladiators thing everybody's talking about is. Man ... it was just something about the beautiful simplicity of the phrase, "The moderators!" That or I had a bad day and this perked it up :).

[COLOR=#503F86]A new Chapter! It's two days later than I'd have liked, but I was constantly adding improvements to it, heh.

Disclaimer: There is a difference between a Newbie and a 'n00b', as you will plainly see. I am not meaning to discriminate against Newbies or fans of DBZ. This is all meant in good humour, so if you think I might be referring to you and I've not mentioned you by name, I'm probably not.

Anyway, this moves away from the in-jokes and becomes something slightly more universal, so hopefully people who've not been at OB for a huge amount of time will be able to enjoy it as much, heh.

I'll try to add a bit more character diversity to the next few, heh.

Here we go ^_^

[b]Chapter 3: Attack of the n00bs[/b]

An early morning on the OtakuBoards Island. The clouds were tinted an orange-pink colour by the rising sun in the East. Slowly, the shadows that hid the massive building started to fade away and were replaced by a vibrant light, full of hope and promise of a beautiful day.

Inside the building, everything was calm. Seeing as there was no great rush to get to school or escape supervillains, most of the members were lying in their snug, fully customisable bedrooms. The garish backgrounds and wallpapers plastered all over some rooms was enshrouded in the calming darkness of sleep.

The Moderators, however, were just starting to rise. They had to be up early to prepare their forums for their first proper day of use.

?[i]GONG![/i]?

The sounds previously on OB would never be enough to rouse a sleeping male, so everyone had agreed that a much more affirmative noise had to be found. In complete synchronisation, the entire Staff team sprang out of bed upon hearing the noise and slammed their alarm clocks off.

Queen Asuka looked longingly back at her bed. ?It?s so warm??

The plushies sitting on the shelves on her wall nodded in agreement, some still covering their ears at the shock of the gong.

Sluggishly, the staff pulled themselves from their bedrooms. As each door opened a loud creaking noise echoed throughout the corridor. They looked down the line as one by one they appeared.

Except Shinmaru.

A small note on his door indicated that he?d gone to sleep in the Nintendo forum so he would be woken up to the sight of all those fantastic Ninty games lining the walls.

The alarm still reached him, though. He kicked his duvet off him in a panic and looked around groggily. It took him a few seconds to realise where he was, and as soon as he did his face broke into a massive grin. Set inside Princess Peach?s Castle in the Mushroom Kingdom, he looked around him at the library- rather than books lining the shelves, they were stacked with Nintendo games from all formats- from GameCube to Virtual Boy. There was even a Nintendo Super Scope shooting range in the gardens.

As he wandered back through the castle to the Otaku Lounge, he looked up at the massive cinema screen in the main hall. Four gleaming new GameCubes were linked together in a LAN connection, begging to be played on. A Super Smash Brothers Melee tournament was only inches away?

Covering the walls were all kinds of magazines relating to the forum, along with game merchandise and paraphernalia stacked on shelves that reached almost to the ceiling. Shinmaru had already had to convince Desbreko not to steal an eight-inch Samus action figure from the Nintendo forum so that everyone else could see it.

?Well, if they came into my bedroom?? was Des?s reply. Reluctantly, he?d relented and left it where it was.

Shinmaru sighed, his eyes watery with joy at his surroundings. Yep, this was heaven.

A gastric rumble intimated that his stomach thought otherwise. Grabbing his bedclothes and shoving them behind the nearest statue, he began his search for breakfast.

He hoped Spam wouldn?t be on the menu.

By about nine o?clock the rest of the boards were starting to come into life. Members wandered as they pleased to the Otaku Lounge, where Drix and Transtic were waiting for them on their extra-comfy cushioned seats. They were having an animated conversation about whether the various clubs they?d entered into their signatures were actually going to be started in the new board format. They tactfully ignored Drix?s own signature.

In the Adventure Arena, terra, The Harlequin and Arcadia were testing out the equipment. The large oak double-doors to the Arena led into a very long, bright metallic corridor that looked to have come from the set of Star Trek. It stretched far into the distance, presumably proportional to the number of active RPGs. Doors led off from the corridor, on each was a title and a list of accepted players.

Next to the main entrance was a set of computers in a glass-walled Internet café building (the café part being a vending machine that sold pretty much everything imaginable). They walked inside, investigating the equipment they?d be in charge of for the next indefinite period of time.

Arcadia sat at a terminal and began typing out her own story. The computer made an electronic gurgling noise for a few minutes, then a new set of information appeared on the screen- Sign Up Information. Smiling at terra, she entered in some character information into and the door in front of her swung open: she had been accepted.

The Harlequin and terra eagerly followed suit with their Character Bios and ran inside.

They looked around- a brilliant white background illuminated them from all directions.

?Very Matrix.? The Harlequin murmured, shielding his eyes from the light.

They thought for a moment. Their characters looked just like their descriptions, but there was no world to play in.

?Ah!? terra clicked her fingers in realisation. ?We?ve not described our location yet.?

?Great, I?ll do that.? Arcadia beamed, typing away at her personal computer. Immediately, the background changed into a lush, green forest. They smiled approvingly at each other and drew their weapons, ready to take on anything that might try and ambush them.

OtakuBot placed the final Private Message into a PM box on the top row of shelves and jumped to the floor, satisfied.

?Clunk?.

A box of Private Messages, carried by Mini-Ken, fell heavily onto the desk in front of him. Mini-Ken gave a quick smirk and nipped away towards the Anime Lounge. OtakuBot knocked his head against the desk in frustration and set about putting the newly arrived lot in their places.

As he filed away the last few, he heard the main doors swing open. He whirled round quickly, eager not to miss his viewing public. There were few who could resist the appeal of a Super Famicom disk, after all? except Shy.

?Welcome to-? he stopped mid-flourish.

There was no one there.

Frowning, he turned back to the PM Box shelves.

A small, squeaky voice halted him.

?n00b.?

?What?? he looked over his shoulder to try and get a decent look at the owner of the voice. Seeing nothing, he slowly shoved the messages into their recipient?s boxes.

?n00b,? the voice repeated.

He leapt round on his stepladder and looked around. He was just about to turn round again when he noticed something small and green sitting on his desk.

It had the appearance of a frog, except its eyes were almost the size of its body. Well one was. The other was mismatched to it. It was covered in a violently green fur, which was all standing on end. Its tongue lolled out of its mouth, wet with dribble.

?n00b,? it chirruped.

?Ugh, how horrible.?

The creature?s eyes suddenly grew in size. It?s mouth opened and a huge flame burst from his mouth and enveloped OtakuBot. When the barrage had finished, his bright white surface was a charred black. He blinked once, then collapsed.

The n00b looked around shiftily, then disappeared in the direction of the forums.

Sara and Queen Asuka held their soft drinks carefully as they walked at a leisurely pace back towards the Anime Lounge, both smiling happily.

?I don?t think this is too bad,? Asuka thought out loud, sucking at her drink through a pink swirly straw. ?After all, we finally get to meet all of the other OB members in person.?

?Well?? Sara began. She certainly couldn?t complain, but she wondered how much like the characters everyone had chosen they actually looked like. She took a sip of her drink. ?Yeah, it is nice.?

As they rounded the corner, something made them stop. Sitting in the middle of the corridor was the n00b. Its eyes widened even further as the two Moderators stared back at it.

?What is [i]that?[/i]? they chorused.

The n00b stared blankly back at them for a few seconds, then-

?OMG LOLOL UR TEH MODS AHAHAHAHA!? it shrieked at the top of its voice, smashing windows all around them and knocking the two of them to the floor.

Sara pulled herself to her feet and took out her ModRod from her belt.

?Right, then.? She muttered, pointing it directly at the creature. A beam of light burst from the end and ?zapped? the n00b, frazzling its hair.

Far from the result she was hoping for, Sara watched in surprise as two n00bs stared back at her, each with equally blank expressions.

?Oh dear.?

??which allows me to summon to Giant Orcs and a Witch of the Black Forest.? Ben grinned widely as he placed his Yu-Gi-Oh cards on the surface in front of him, albeit rather clumsily with his stubby wooden hands- his chosen avatar was Puppetmon. Holographic images of the monsters appeared on the field, growling fiercely at their opponent.

?Your move.?

?Uhm?? Solo looked at the cards in his hand and thought for a moment. ?Well, I?ll set three trap cards face-down, and-?

A loud burp resonated around the room. They looked at each other for a moment, then shrugged. There were some quite grotesque habits around the forums, so a yodel-belch wasn?t exactly a surprise. Ben watched his opponent?s move closely as he continued to set cards into various places on the field. As he watched, a huge yellow smiley face materialised behind Solo?s head, causing Ben to release a yelp of surprise.

Solo jumped. ?Something wrong?? he asked, his hand hovering about the playing field.

The smiley face had mysteriously disappeared. Slowly, Ben shook his head. He must have been seeing things.

Solo continued with his move, his ears pricked for more noises.

Another huge belch shook the room.

The two of them looked round the high arena to determine who was making the noises. As they looked, a third colossal burp reverberated around the room and a group of three smiley faces floated from the floor to level with their arena, beaming widely at them.

?What on earth??? Solo gaped as the yellow sphere floated towards them.

?It?s a giant smiley face.? Ben said in a matter-of-fact way. The smilies above them changed from yellow grins to green faces, sticking their tongues out at them.

?I gathered that, but what are they doing here?? They all accordingly changed to orbed question marks in response.

Another massive belch shook the forum and a fourth smiley floated up, this time a light blue ?sweatdrop? icon.

The two of them leapt from their stages and ran to the corner of the room, where a green furry creature stared straight back at them.

A fifth leviathan belch knocked them to the floor- this time two dark green orbs floated from the n00b?s mouth, each raising a sinister eyebrow at them.

The smileys all whirled round to face them, their expressions simultaneously changing to that a fiery devil icon.

Solo readied his ModRod. ?Damn, these are scary??

?ill sarve u!?

?Ahhahar! ull nerver stoop my armys!!1?

A badly-drawn explosion buffeted the Adventure Arena, destroying the main enemy and about five of the participants, who materialised outside the door, looking dazed.

Arcadia shook herself and approached the figure that had entered the RPG without permission, reverting to her normal (if rather angry) self- Hitomi of Esclaflowne. She brandished her ModRod at the figure, who turned to face her- a two-dimensional character stared back at her, with no defining features. It was holding a non-descript sword and had a blank expression.

?Get out of my RPG.? She growled.

?STFU!? the figure roared, and immediately began screaming obsceneties at her at the top of its voice.

Terra took up her sword and stabbed the character in the back. It didn?t move, but turned to face her, its blank expression hardening to an even more intense blank stare.

The n00bs were getting angry.

Random threads began popping up all over the OtakuBoards building, most of them complaining about the state of the Moderating staff and how bad the site and its rules were.

OtakuBot wished he had some hair that he could tear out as he tried throwing all of the spam Private Messages out of the members? PM boxes, only to find them replaced by a dozen more afterwards. He let out a pained groan.

[I]BANG![/I]

Six n00bs careened through the DragonBall forum doorway, their fur a charred black and their eyes watering in shock. Jinzouningen17 slammed the door shut behind him, the end of his ModRod still smoking. The sight that greeted him was not pretty.

Hundreds of n00bs filled the Anime Forums corridors, all chattering pointless information at each other, plastering the walls with pointless threads and swearing at the tops of their voices.

The burnt ones gave him evil glares, such that if looks could kill he?d be left with a mild headache, then reached behind their backs.

A volley of spam lumps splattered on his outfit, leaving a sticky pink mess. All of the other n00bs turned to face him and reached behind their backs as well.

He dived for cover behind a flowerbed, narrowly avoiding being hit by more spam, which thundered into the ground like?spam. He crawled behind the raised bed to where Sara, Queen Asuka and Chaos taking shelter. Chaos was looking dejectedly at a pair of machine guns in his lap.

?Where?d these guys all come from?? Jinzou asked, poking his head out to see the legions of n00bs hopping down the corridor.

Asuka gave Chaos a hard nudge and he frowned. ?How was I to know they multiplied every time you nuked them??

A loud ?thunk? followed by a noise resembling bowling pins being knocked over made them look round. A gigantic smiley face had been bowled directly into the swarm of n00bs.

Ben whirled his large wooden hammer through the air with triumph, grinning. Behind him, Solo was kicking away n00bs that were swarming all over him holding electric shearing tools and threatening to take his ?furre? off.

Semjaza?s voice crackled through an Instant Message system on Sara?s wrist.

?And I thought we?d deleted the Newbie Lounge?? he said, before a handful of spam caked the screen.

Something clicked inside Sara?s head. She leapt from behind the flowerbed and sprinted through the n00bs, being careful not to squash any in case they flamed her.

She fell into the OtakuBoards Moderators forum- so far the only place safe from the n00bs? invasion. James, Adam and Charles were figuring out a plan of action to try and get rid of them all.

?PoisonTongue?s got about forty hypnotised by his arguments in the Otaku Lounge, Mitch is hunting down the ones in the Literature forum; most of the others are in the Anime section.? James mumbled, pointing at a map on the table.

?We?ve got a lot more cookied bizatch to make yet.? Charles hummed, stroking his chin.

Sara pulled herself to her feet and cleared her throat to gain their attention. ?I have an idea.?

A covert gathering of Moderators stood in one of the few clear corridors in OtakuBoards- the one leading to the Event Arena. Dotted along the walls were huge numbers of signposts reading ?Newbie Lounge?, all pointing to a single open doorway at the end. Inside was an empty room.

?You?re sure this will work?? Shy whispered, rubbing the back of his head where a tin of spam had been hurled at him.

?It better.? Sara replied gravely.

?Here they come!? Arcadia hissed from the adjoining passageway. She smiled uncomfortably as the n00bs started cascading past her, all drawn towards the Newbie Lounge.

One stopped at Ken?s feet.

?lol hi i r am teh n00b and I lik ur site its 2 cool how is evry1gd gd i stay 4 ere long time ahaha I luv iny-uasha hes so coool but guko i s carp i h8 dzb salmonella.? It squeaked loudly, before burping a line of random smiley faces. He gave it a hefty kick with his foot and it rolled into the open door.

When the last one had entered, Charles peered inside. About three hundred threads sprang out of nowhere and completely obscured everything else inside. He slammed the door. He, James and Adam all pointed their AdminRods at the door and a bright blue bolt of electricity shot from the ends. The doorway disappeared in a blast of smoke.

Everyone held their breath for a second. No one dared move.

After several tense minutes with no sign of a quiet ?n00b? noise, they all collapsed onto the floor with a sigh of relief.

Far up the other end of the corridor, a pair of wide eyes stared at them from a ventilation shaft.

?n00b?? it croaked, disappearing into the darkness.

Elsewhere in the OtakuBoards building, a sinister shape looked around hungrily. As it sidled into a new thread, it let out an evil, mechanical laugh.

?|0|??

-------

About the soap opera: I was thinking of making a more serious set of stories that could be really exciting, but comedy gives slightly more leeway for people's characters. There will be an Otaku Prom chapter, though ^_~[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=maroon]Oh goodness, I really hope things don't get that horrible here. I shudder to think of all those random smilies rolling about, bowling people over. Although the Adventure Arena rocks, Solo. All the boards are great. ^_^

[quote]He hoped Spam wouldn?t be on the menu.[/quote]

I loved that part. So funny. I laughed, I cried, I gave it two thumbs up.[/color][/size]