OtakuBoards

Xbox 360

Guest cloricus

Guest cloricus
Well we now know that one, xbox2 is a green lighted project and two, who's been signed up for the project; namely IBM (over Intel), SiS and the widely expected deal between MS and ATI for graphics. (Over nVidia.) It so far looks like the format of the xbox2 will either be a complete replacement of inside parts of your existing xbox (you go to a shop and they send it away to be refitted) or you have to buy yet another consol and the old one will gather dust with the others...

Following moore's law it should be twice as powerful so most likely a 128meg graphics card with 800hmz processor and 20 gig hdd which really wont promote to much improvement in game play, maybe another five frames per second. Noting that most of the current power of the xbox isn?t used, only about 20% at a guess.

So just out of interest what do people think of the idea of a new xbox? Would you buy another one to stay with the times or just hack your old to be as good as the new one at no extra cost?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering I just purchased my Xbox, I'm sticking with it for a while. I'm probably not going to purchase any new systems for a while.

But, if I did decide to go for Xbox2, I'd certainly get my system remodeled. I'm not about to spend another 300 bucks on something if I can get a free upgrade on something I already own. To quote Louis Tulley from Ghostbusters, "It just makes good financial sense."

Guest cloricus
Just a note; I found out that the next Xbox will unimaginatively be called the "Xbox Next" just if people were remotely interested. :D

It's technically not called anything yet. Xbox Next is just what it is referred to as in its current state. GameCube was called Dolphin and Dreamcast was called Katana, for example. MS stuck with the name Xbox the entire time though, so if they are officially referring to it as Xbox Next... they'll probably leave it like that lol. Original thinking, I guess.

No one updates consoles like that. This isn't the PC community and I doubt that idea would ever go over very well. I'd expect it to be bought at the store once it comes out, just like every other console in history. Add-ons have never succeeded in the console market, and this will most likely not be looked upon any differently. The markets cannot be compared in this way as they've been built very differently, and if MS tries this approach I'd expect it wouldn't go over very well.

The Xbox processor speed is currently something like 733 Mhz anyway, but obviously there is a difference between some Pentium III chip and a PowerPC chip. Who knows about the card... but it's interesting that ATI is providing both the next MS and Nintendo consoles with cards. Although I expect the ArtX team will be working for Nintendo again (and they're largely looked on in better light than the other ATI teams -- a lot of the stuff they're trying to do wouldn't even be possible without their acquisition of ArtX).

I wouldn't say only 20% of the Xbox has been taken advantage of. That seems almost ridiculous considering some of the stuff it cannot even manage to do now. Of course, it's not near 100% either and the developers can't really code to the metal like they theoretically can with PS2 or GCN thanks to Direct X.

In any case, we'll see what happens. I'm not terribly excited about any of these yet.

Actually, Microsoft purchased the domain "XBoxNext.com". That's the only real evidence that it will be called that. In their design ideas they do have it made that X-Box can be upgraded to X-Box Next, but it will not be as effecient. They also have a lighter edition of X-Box set to come out as well as ReplayTV and web searching technology.

Yeah, but I don't think people can look at that as a good reason as to them 100% going with that idea... Companies buy up domains with their names in them all the time, as well as domains with project names. Obviously so other people cannot get them and make some use out of them. Nintendo does that for example.

I also realize that MS supposedly has the idea of upgrades... but again, I really don't think it is a good idea. As I said before, console and PC users do not have the same thought process on these things. I can't imagine it would be "free" either, like mentioned earlier in this thread. Despite any discussions on the subject, I doubt it will go through.

The whole lighter Xbox thing is still rumor obviously, I've seen little that proves its existance. It would be cool if it came out though, considering the size of the current one. I bet it would help Japanese sales out.

Guest cloricus
I did not say an official upgrade was free; I said modding the existing Xbox up to the specs of the new one would be free apart from a few components. :D

Sem the Xbox [i]is[/i] a computer and from day one they had in the back of their minds an upgrade architecture so why not? It's not a consol it's a fully fledged computer that is built for gaming.

IQ2 that isn't the only proof; MS is calling it that and so are a lot of other companies that are entering contracts to work on it.

You didn't say "free", I think Poison Tongue did.

Despite what it consists of, it is still in the console spectrum of things. It competes with other consoles, it has the mindset of a console behind it and console developers support it. Most people think of it is as a console, regardless of its insides. These type of things are not normal in the console market, and I really doubt it would go over well with console owners. I could almost see it being looked upon as an "addon" rather than an entirely new console.

I wonder how easily they could update it all anyway, considering the chip route they're taking.

I really doubt they'll take that angle.

I heard that "Xbox Next" will be out next year. If it's true then Microsoft are shooting themselves up in the head. They make so much money on the Xbox already and still persons go and buy the Xbox with all the games. They could wait and still make big cash until like 2005 and then get the Xbox Next in 2006.

Guest cloricus
Tix MS is losing money on every xbox sold; half of the Xbox Next dealings are with companies that are offering a lot less to build it which for ms is a good thing, cheaper xbox production for the same price means less loss. Though you are right about shooting them selves in the foot and so far no one is sure why.

[color=#707875]I had originally thought that Microsoft was going to make a "smaller" Xbox 1.5 or whatever, before an actual Xbox 2. But I haven't followed the Xbox side of things much in the last few weeks. None of these things are confirmed, anyway.

In regard to the thread...Microsoft won't be allowing people to update Xbox components in stores like that. It's almost a 100% chance that it won't happen. MS has been trying to bend over backwards to portray the Xbox as a game console -- which it is -- so, anything that makes it seem "PC-centric" is a big no-no for MS.

In terms of whether or not I'm excited about it...I don't know. There's nothing for me to be excited about yet. It's like asking if I'm excited about Nintendo's next machine or the PS3. I'm sure that I will be more excited when I see the unit and read about the games. But...some kind of vague specification sheet isn't going to do it for me. That's not what consoles are about, really. Microsoft has gone out and heavily touted Xbox's hardware capabilities, but that hasn't really influenced gamers to a large degree.

[/color]

Okay, for the person saying that they don't need X-Box 2 since X-Box is doing well. How well will X-Box be doing when PS3 comes out? The answer is simple, piss poorly. Microsoft has to keep with the competition and make sure they can stay on top, or at least in the race.

Guest cloricus
IQ2 the Xbox's specs beat the ps2's by about 100 fold (check maths I'm to tired, ps2 is 32bit and xbox is 64meg) so there is no point upgrading the xbox for the ps3 since it will be on the same spec level as the ps2 and still be far inferior to the xbox.

There is only one problem, the video drivers. Theoretically if the PS2 used 100% of its video capability, its video quality would be better. Both use DirectX, but Microsoft, for some reason or another have chosen to use an older version of it. The other problem is the processor. Although Microsoft has a better processor right now once the PS3 is released it will have a much better processor.

Microsoft will not want to be an equal to Playstation in terms of system power, as they showed with the X-Box, they want to be mega powerful by comparison.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cloricus [/i]
[B]IQ2 the Xbox's specs beat the ps2's by about 100 fold (check maths I'm to tired, ps2 is 32bit and xbox is 64meg) so there is no point upgrading the xbox for the ps3 since it will be on the same spec level as the ps2 and still be far inferior to the xbox. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]What are you talking about? PS3 will be on the same spec level as PS2? o_O

And...where did you get the idea that Xbox's technical specifications "beat" the PS2's by 100 fold?

I think you need to re-calculate your ideas there, Cloricus.[/color]

[quote][b]Theoretically if the PS2 used 100% of its video capability, its video quality would be better.[/quote][/b]

[color=#707875]I don't think drivers are the issue at all. The biggest problem for PS2 is bottlenecking. VU01 and VU02 are allocated very little memory compared to the Xbox's GPU. And that seems to be the primary issue with PS2's hardware.

If you look at a game like Gran Turismo 4, it's pretty obvious that PS2 can come very close to matching Xbox. GameCube can come even closer still.

So, Xbox certainly doesn't run away from the competition when it comes to graphics. I've seen very few Xbox games that demonstrate a particularly noteable improvement over PS2/GCN counterparts.

As far as PS3 and Xbox 2 are concerned...to my knowledge, Microsoft hasn't said anything about Xbox 2's specifications. With PS3, very little has also been mentioned. So I think it's a little premature to make too many predictions on these points.[/color]

• 1 month later...
[color=#707875]I think that this article is generally on the money, in the sense that it's kind of stating the obvious.

I do not believe that Sony will talk about PS3 this coming May, although they may provide [i]some[/i] new details, we won't see physical hardware or anything like that.

PSP -- and its final design and initial games -- will be the big focus I'd say. And I'd be willing to bet that Sony might want to talk a bit more about PS2 online stuff as well.

As for Microsoft...I don't know what they're going to do. They did unveil Xbox as a kind of "phantom console" and as a result, it ended up being something quite different to their original projections.

But who knows. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Microsoft saying something about Xbox 2 early in the year...but I think it's more likely that MS will be talking about it later in the year.

Still, it's really not all that far away. If they plan to launch in late 2005, they're going to have to reveal something more about it this year -- and they'll probably have to get development kits out by the fourth quarter, or the first quarter of next year.

Some are even saying that Nintendo has begun to talk about emulators for its next generation hardware. So who knows at this point.[/color]

• 1 year later...
[SIZE=1]I found this whilst I was on another site, and thought some of you might be interested in it...

Microsoft have released the first offical images of the next-generation (Xbox 2) user interface, these first official images show off just a few of the features which we can expect from the future generation Xbox console.

[url=http://www.msxbox-world.com/images/news/Home.jpg][IMG]http://www.msxbox-world.com/images/news/Home_sm.jpg[/IMG] [/url]

[url=http://www.msxbox-world.com/images/news/Achievements.jpg][IMG]http://www.msxbox-world.com/images/news/Achievements_sm.jpg[/IMG][/url]

[url=http://www.msxbox-world.com/images/news/Gamer_Profile.jpg][IMG]http://www.msxbox-world.com/images/news/Gamer_Profile_sm.jpg[/IMG][/url]

[url=http://www.msxbox-world.com/images/news/Music_Player.jpg][IMG]http://www.msxbox-world.com/images/news/Music_Player_sm.jpg[/IMG][/url]

News Source: [url=http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox/news/article/2671/Next-Generation-Xbox's-user-interface-images.html]MS-Box world[/url] [/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]Merged with the original Xbox 2 thread. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

[size=1]I think it looks quite nice myself...but I'm not an X-Boxer, and I have no interest in getting one. As I said, I thought this would interest the gamers here, and I didn't see it put up anywhere else. I enjoy console-gaming, but only to an extent, and I've always been a Sony boy, lol. The X-Box's controls just don't do it for me.[/size]

[size=1][color=Gray][b]I like[/b] the current X Box interface better.

The reason being that I like the color scheme better, the green and black is a much better choice over a much over-done-by-windows blue, and add a plus to that, It works well with XBox's current logo.[/color][/size]

This kind of just didn't excite me. It seemed like an evolution of what they already have. Obviously this is a good thing, but it's nothing to be blown away over. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a choice of color schemes though. Something that looks this simple seems like it could have that easily implemented... but as I said, that's assuming this is really the final look (and it very well could be considering they plan on launching this system this year).

What was interesting is their whole marketplace concept. Like buying a new car for your game for a $1 or selling a car you made to someone else for a price. I think it's interesting, I don't necessarily think it's a good idea. Online RPGs have mostly condemned selling items for real money via sites such as eBay for a reason. I think MS will get into some really sticky situations thanks to this and I'm not sure how well it would go over if they do choose to do it.

[color=darkred]Surely that can't be the final design, even if it's set for a release later this year. Obviously, I could be wrong, but I'm just saying that it all seems a bit too soon. I'd like to see what the media has to say about it in depth, and what kind of feedback it'll produce.[/color]

• 1 month later...
[SIZE=1]I found this at another forum I visit. I figured somebody here could be interested :p

[IMG]http://img.engadget.com/common/images/1488407751772606.JPG[/IMG]

XBOX 360 with hardrive attatchment on top.

Wireless headset

Wireless controller

XBOX Cam [like Eyetoy]

[img]http://img.engadget.com/common/images/1387385638449262.JPG[/img]

Controller close-up.

----

So, what do you all think of it? It certainly looks nice. I probably wouldn't buy it, especially due to possible pricings, and the fact that I don't play many console games. Anyone planning on a purchase?[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Baron Samedi]
So, what do you all think of it? It certainly looks nice. I probably wouldn't buy it, especially due to possible pricings, and the fact that I don't play many console games. Anyone planning on a purchase?[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
No. New gen video games are going to cost $60, so i hate to see how much this will cost.
Back to topic
Personally I think the Xbox 360 looks ulgy,the Xbox 360 reminded me of a stormtrooper. Once I get one I'll put a neato sticker on it "Stormtrooper certified!". I'll probably buy a Nintendo first, like always. I can already tell you that the Revolution is going to be more powerfull then the Xbox 360. Next to that I heard that the PS3 is up to 3 times faster than the Xbox 360, BUT all that processing power is not all used for games. A part is reserved for like uh... Multimedia stuff... Talking about that, I think the only purpose of the UMD slot is to put media on it, I really don't think it'll be able to play PSP games... That would be a ripoff imo.

EDIT:I was just reading some stuff and talking to some people and my faith in Nintendo has completely restored. Wait and see at E3 10 days from now to see what I mean! Man this is going to be so awesome!

Oh, I also learned why Nintendo is being so secretive about there console... Apparantly when Microsoft figured out that the Revolution was going to have standard wireless controllers, they implemented the same feature. O_o
Srry for all the OT