OtakuBoards

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Fyxe

In OOC the temple that I probably had the most fun in would probably be the Shadow Temple. I think that place was so sweet especcially the crazy BongoBongo boos at the end that dude was sweet.

The temple I probably hated the most would have to be Fire Temple that place got so bloody annoying. Im not really sure how I thought it was terrible because now its very easy, buit the first time it seemed to me my whole life plus, the temple of time was really boring because you never had to do anything whats up with that?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=indigo]Okay, Paines_Revenge and Wave_of_Death, will you [i]please[/i] try and stay on the topic dungeons, not bosses and the Biggoron's Sword. Also, please try and improve the quality of your posts, as all of the ones that I just deleted had very little reason behind the likes and dislikes of certain dungeons. You need to go into more detail than, "the Water Temple is confusing, so I don't like it," and such if you want to post in favorite threads.[/color]

OOT was definetly NOT the best Zelda game, but my favorite temple is the one that was actually a bit challenging: The Spirit Temple. The music is cool, the puzzles/layout actually require a bit of thinking, Iron Knuckles are fun to beat up, and it looks cool. (my favorite use to be the Water Temple, until I played through the game the 8th time-I always liked the Spirit Temple anyway)

The one I hate the most USE to be the Shadow Temple. I like it now though. I use to HATE the wall/floor masters and Scalfoes, but DID like the music. Now I've grown up a bit and changed my mind. That place is cool. NOW I'd say...either the Forest Temple, or...yeah, the Forest Temple. Like the Fire Temple, it is INCREDIBLY easy. I had to help my little brother (the current owner of the N64) afew months ago (I basically just played the game for him) and I couldn't believe how easy the first few temples were. So, because of the color (I hate green) those annoying spirit voices (why won't they just SHUT UP), and the sheer easiness, I hate it the most.

...wow, I just noticed ALOT of people picked the Spirit Temple...

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite temple would have to be the spirit temple. You got to play through it twice and you got the mirror shield.Plus, i liked the bosses. It was fun to watch kame and kotake argue.

My least favorite is definately THE FREAKIN WATER TEMPLE!!!!!!!!!! It is annoying, repetitive and has a dissapointing boss. The only good part of it was shadow link.

• 3 weeks later...
So, recently I had the urge to play Ocarina of Time. I'm not quite sure why, but the mood suddenly struck me. So, I pop in my bonus disc from the WindWaker offer and start playing.

The first thing that really struck me as impressive was how I hadn't played my file in about a year, and yet as soon as I loaded my game, I knew exactly what I was in the middle of (Forest Temple). To my memory, [i]no[/i] action/adventure/RPG with save features has ever had that happen with me, even Metroid Prime, lol. So that was a major bonus point as I started to play OoT again.

As I was playing through more and more, realizing I didn't really like Forest Temple and frankly, I was getting bored of it, and after realizing that I like the Longshot a whole lot more than the Hookshot, I decided to take a trip to the Water Temple. The Forest Temple remains uncompleted, while I beat the Water Temple last night, lol. Really, I don't know what people's beef is with the Water Temple. It's a fantastic level and it's really not all that confusing. It'll probably turn out to be my favorite Temple in the game.

Now, I'm playing OoT, and while I don't agree that it's the best game ever made, I certainly can understand why people say it is. It's really a remarkable piece of gaming. When I first played it, back on N64, it was fun. It was a casual thing, I think. When I got the bonus disc, I played it a bit, and it was still a fun, casual thing.

Maybe it's just the end of the semester altering my perception of a game, but I strongly doubt that. OoT is awesome. I hadn't really realized how great it was until now. Sad, eh? lol.

My favorite aspect of it is the cheating, I think, like going into the Water Temple after you get the Hookshot so you can get the Longshot instead, Iron Boots, Zora Tunic. I'm figuring on hitting up all the fairies that I can (double magic, double life, etc) before completing any other Temples.

I've spoken with Charles about this, and he's said how it's great that OoT requires you to use all of your abilities. I wholeheartedly agree with him. Another bonus is that you really aren't limited to a specific order of the Temples. The "using all of your abilities" really opens up new areas, even when you haven't beaten the first Temple you're told to go to, lol. I [i]love[/i] the idea of being able to go into the Fire Temple before trudging through the Forest Temple.

Thoughts?

I agree with you. I pretty much played the dungeons in order, except for the last two... I completed the spirit temple before I completed the desert one. The concept hadn't occured to me before. That game was the first game I bought, let alone first zelda game, and it raised the bar by which I judge video games that I often reference to this day. There was only one weapon qualm I had.. there was no need for the ice arrow power. I played through the game without ever needing it, so I never bothered to get it. I went back to my game after a while, and found the flying carpet shop in the desert (something I had not known about :) ). It was a rather good game for it's time, and today, and I'd like it if they made another Zelda game in the same fashion.

After thinking it over a bit, I decided that it would be best to have one thread that encompasses all of the conversation relating to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It's just easier that way.

Anyway, I've never really tried going off the beaten path, so to speak, and beating the dungeons out of order. When I usually play Ocarina of Time, I usually tackle the dungeons in order, heh. I should probably try doing them out of order sometime, though...as fun as Ocarina of Time is, anything to freshen it up a bit and make it even more fun is cool with me.

[quote name='outlawstar69']There was only one weapon qualm I had.. there was no need for the ice arrow power. I played through the game without ever needing it, so I never bothered to get it.[/quote]

Well, I don't really see how this is a problem lol. The Ice Arrows [i]are[/i] an optional item; they're available for you to try and obtain if you want them, but they're not needed to beat the game by any means, which you mentioned. However, I don't see why that would lower your opinion of the game. *shrugs*

[color=royalblue]I just borrowed OOT/MQ from my younger cousin. I had the game for N64, but I wasn't very good at it and I eventually gave up on it and just watched one of my very skilled friends beat the game. After a while I bought the strategy guide (I'm a pansy) and played it some more, but I eventually got tired of it.

So, I just recently got back into the game. I'v been playing for about two weeks and I'm already at the Shadow Temple (to me that is awesome!). I'v tried hard not to use the cheat book, but I couldn't resist when I went to the Water Temple and parts of Jaba Jaba... or w/e his name was (That's where I used to give up). I'm really looking forward to the Spirit Temple because I never saw my friend or anyone else play through it before.

From what I'v gone through, The Fire Temple is probably my favorite Temple as of right now. Most likely it's because i think the gorons are awesome, but I also like the boss (who I think should be a female, not a male) and it was a bit tricky at time. Although it took me forever to get the Megaton Hammer, I thought it was worth it and the hammer is so fun! I like to smash things with it!

Least favorite thing is most likely Lord Jaba Jaba. I hate the Boss, I hate the sub boss, and I got lost a bunch of times. You are in a giant fishes digestive system after all. Plus, Ruto is a total *****. [/color]

[color=indigo]I've always beaten the temples is order just because . . . well, that's how things work out best for me. I suppose I could do them out of order, but I'd be going out of my way to do it. Here's basically how I do things:

First off, the Fairy Bow is my favorite secondary weapon in the game and is required pretty much everywhere, so I go into the Forest Temple for that. And once I get it, I'm most of the way through the dungeon, so I just beat it while I'm there. I'd rather not have to come back later just to beat the boss, and really, I don't find the Forest Temple all that bad. Especially not after having to go through the annoying Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly and dealing with Princess Ruto.

Second, the Fire Temple is my favorite dungeon in the game, so I'm happy to do that one. And for the one thing in there that requires the Longshot (a Gold Skulltula), I don't really mind coming back later once I've gone through the Water Temple just because the Fire Temple is a fun place to hike through.

Next comes the Water Temple because, like Petey said, the Longshot is so much more fun than the Hookshot. . . . Not to mention you can't get to either of the other two dungeons without first beating the Water Temple or at least stealing the Longshot out of it. And again, that comes back to the Forest Temple thing; by the time I get the Longshot, I'm already a good ways through the dungeon, so I figure I might as well just beat it while I'm there.

So now I can go into either the Shadow Temple or the Spirit Temple, but as far as I can tell, there really is no "correct order" for doing these two. On one hand, Navi tells you to do the Shadow Temple first, but on the other, the ring of medallions on the Quest Status screen shows the Spirit Medallion first . . . so who knows. I beat the Spirit Temple first when I played through OOT on the N64, but when I played through OOT Master Quest on the GCN I beat the Shadow Temple first, and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Personally, I like the Spirit Temple more -- along with the Gerudo Fortress -- so the next time I play through OOT I plan on beating the Spirit Temple first.

Also, I think the Spirit Temple provides a nice transition between the first three temples, which seem to not be quite as dark and dreary as the Shadow Temple and Ganon's Castle; the Spirit Temple seems to be kind of half way between those. It's somewhat dark, and the whole thing with Twinrova and Nabooru really reminded me that, yes, Ganondorf is really after me and these aren't just random enemies in the temples. But at the same time, the bit of humor between Koume and Kotake after you beat them sort of lightens the mood a little.

When you get into the Bottom of the Well and the Shadow Temple, however, all of that humor is gone. Walking into Kakariko Village after beating the Water Temple and seeing the town on fire. . . . That's a real turning point in the game's story for me. I mean, you can tell things are really starting to get serious when a nasty spirit monster escapes and sets the whole town ablaze. I think that and the Shadow Temple sets the mood very well for the [spoiler]meeting with Zelda in the Temple of Time[/spoiler] and the fight through Ganon's Castle. It's like things are just getting progressively worse throughout the game, and at that point they take a sudden dive.[/color]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[quote name='Desbreko][color=indigo']So now I can go into either the Shadow Temple or the Spirit Temple, but as far as I can tell, there really is no "correct order" for doing these two. On one hand, Navi tells you to do the Shadow Temple first, but on the other, the ring of medallions on the Quest Status screen shows the Spirit Medallion first . . . so who knows.[/color][/quote]

Well, the "official Nintendo Power player's guide" for Ocarina takes you through the Shadow Temple first, so that's what I figure the intended order was. You're right about Shadow Temple providing a story-type transition (I think; it's been a while since I've played the game even though I've yet to beat Master's Quest on my GCN).

[color=indigo]Yeah, most guides and walkthroughs do seem to put the Shadow Temple first, but I think part of the reason is just that it's more accessible than the Spirit Temple. I mean, you beat the Water Temple, hike over to Kakariko Village, and bam -- you're right there, ready to go through the Bottom of the Well (if you haven't already) and the Shadow Temple. With the Spirit Temple, you have to go all the way out to Gerudo Valley, sneak through the Gerudo Fortress, make your way through the Haunted Wasteland, and then return to being a kid and warp back to the Desert Colossus before you can actually get into the Spirit Temple.

I think the most real evidence for the Shadow Temple being first is that you need the Lens of Truth, which is found in the Bottom of the Well, in order to get through the Haunted Wasteland. The thing is though, you can go through the Bottom of the Well as soon as you beat the Forest Temple and can warp back to being young Link -- which I usually do. So again, it mainly just comes back to preference.[/color]

I always sort of figured that the first three dungeons correlated to the order that you go through the other dungeons as Young Link. You know, Deku Tree/Forest Temple, Dodongo's Cavern/Fire Temple and Jabu-Jabu/Water Temple. That's always how it seemed to work for me, anyway. I'm sure plenty of other people have noticed that, too lol.

And I agree with Desbreko's point about the Shadow Temple's accessibility; with the Shadow Temple you have to do relatively little in order to gain access to it, heh. I would just save the Spirit Temple for last because, while I enjoy the Shadow Temple (especially the atmosphere of it), I prefer Gerudo Fortress and the Spirit Temple. They're just more fun (Spirit Temple is my favorite temple in Ocarina of Time).

So, yeah, that's my preference lol.

[quote name='Shinmaru]Well, I don't really see how this is a problem lol. The Ice Arrows [i]are[/i'] an optional item; they're available for you to try and obtain if you want them, but they're not needed to beat the game by any means, which you mentioned. However, I don't see why that would lower your opinion of the game. *shrugs*[/quote]

I'm not saying that it lowered my opinion of the game at all; I was just saying that they could have made it necessary, or at least fun to use it... for example, you could use the fire arrow to burn things, and there were points where you had to burn things to go on. However, there weren't any places where you had to freeze something to go on. I was trying to say that even if it wasn't necessary to get to new places or solve puzzles, they could have made it still fun to use... for example,an interesting effect when shooting the water with ice arrows, or lava, or something.

[color=indigo]I think that the Ice Arrows were an afterthought sort of thing in Ocarina of Time. It's like they put them in the game but didn't really bother to make anywhere where they could be useful. In Majora's Mask, however, they were required -- being one of the dungeon items -- and also there were times when they were actually useful. I'm thinking maybe Nintendo just didn't have time to fully incorporate the Ice Arrows into OOT, since later in MM they were used a good amount along with the Fire and Light Arrows.[/color]

OoT was a great game for N64 because you were able to see some of the classic Zelda enemies in 3D like the giant flying thing with spikes for example.

As for what this topic is acually about my favorite temple is Jabu Jabu's belly. I know I know that is not really a temple but your in a big freakin' fish. How great is that. But since that does not count (poo) I would have to chose the ...... um ....... the forest temple just because of the symmitry(sorry but its a long weekend and I have no time for correct spelling).

And the worst temple would be the temple of light because links tunic looks way to small for him(eww).

• 4 months later...
[font=Arial Narrow][size=1][color=blue][b]Favorite Temple:[/b] I'd have to say Jabu-Jabu's belly. At first, I'd always have my older brother beat it for me, and I'd just watch. I couldn't do it, not that it was hard. It just made me sick to my stomach. I couldn't stand being [i]inside [/i]a fish. It grossed me out. But then, I started a new game a couple (*hundred*) times and I'd start doing everything myself. Jabu-Jabu's Belly soon became the funnest dungeon to me, and in a close second was Inside the Great Deku Tree.[/color][/size][/font]
[size=1][color=#0000ff][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#0000ff][b]Least Favorite Temple: [/b]I'd have to say, like the majority of the crowd, I absoliutely despise the Water Temple. It was way too hard, with too many difficult puzzles. The water level trick threw me off, and all the different levels made it difficult for me to remember where exactly in the temple I was. I completly hated it. The first time I did it, I actually messed up so bad, I had to restart the game. >>[/color][/size]

I'd have to say that the most frustrating dungeon for me was the Water Temple. Sorry to hop on the bandwagon, but that is the most tedious, annoying dungeon in the entire game. Not to mention that it has one of the cheapest bosses in the game. Anyway, I really disliked the fact that you constantly had to do the same thing that you just did a few minutes ago to get a key hidden in some halfway invisible area of the second basement of the dungeon. The water levels went from being innovative in a dungeon to being just plain annoying. And Morpha? Ooh, don't even get me started... :flaming:

[quote name='Lord Eliwood']And Morpha? Ooh, don't even get me started... :flaming:[/quote]
[color=#4B0082]Heheh. The thing about Morpha, though, is that you can also use the cheapest strategy in the game to beat it. [spoiler]Simply stand all the way back in one of the corners and Morpha can't touch you. Try as it might, its tentacles just can't reach far enough, leaving you to sit there and fire away at its nucleus with the Long Shot until you score a hit and can bring your sword into play.[/spoiler] Easiest boss in the game if you do that.

I think the next time I play through OOT, though, I'm going to try fighting Morpha from the four middle platforms. The first time, I just circled around the outside of the room while fighting it and never took a hit. Second time, I used the above strategy and never took a hit. Seriously, Morpha has never done any damage to me and I find that kind of boring, so I'm hoping that staying on the middle platforms the entire fight will make it fun the next time I play through the game.[/color]

OoT is one of my all time favorite games. I liked most of the temples and bosses in this games, save one...the evil water temple. I remember getting caught on one part and having a ton of trouble.

Then there was the part in the game where you had to get the hammer...remember? That was kind of a headache. (I believe that of OoT and not Majora's Mask). :)

• 11 months later...
Yeah so I was just thinking about this today after whooping Ganons ***. When link returns the master sword in the end and becomes a kid again, it erases everything that has happened in that 7 years he was the hero of time. So of course no one remembers execpt for him, and zelda we see. But all events were erased. But Ganandorf was imprisoned in the Evil Realm. So despite what time period he is always imprisoned there. So all that is fine expect this. Zelda is the only sage that returns to 7 years before. She is als the only sage that is awakened without dieing to do so. But all the other sages don't return and stay dead. So what I'm wondering is. Why would that happen if there deaths never occured? My only explanation is taat they to are trapped in the Sage realm parrall to the Evil/Sacred Realm. So then how did Zelda become a sage without doing the same. And finnaly wouldn't the triforce of wisdom and courage never leave Zelda and Link, because Ganon still has the triforce of Power broken up with him?

The other sages died? Is this fact or just your theory?

I just assumed that, when all the characters who turned out to be sages were awakened, they just ran off to the sacred realm to go about there business. But you're saying the all died in the process?

Anyhow, whether this truly is a plot problem or not, it was cool to see Link and Zeldameet up in the courtyard again, no? That's the brilliant thing about Nintendo; their storylines are left open enough so that we can all go around wondering about this kind of stuff ^_^

[color=#4B0082]*merges this with the original OOT thread*

Anyway, I'm not sure where you got the idea that the sages die when they awaken, because they don't. They're the ones that make the bridge to Ganon's Castle and you see them in the ending, remember? All of them are alive and well after the events of OOT.[/color]

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]*merges this with the original OOT thread*

Anyway, I'm not sure where you got the idea that the sages die when they awaken, because they don't. They're the ones that make the bridge to Ganon's Castle and you see them in the ending, remember? All of them are alive and well after the events of OOT.[/color][/QUOTE]

Well you also see that ruto as full grown adult in the end. Now why would that be?

[color=#4B0082]That would be because the celebration you see during the end credits, which includes the scene showing the sages, takes place in the "future" -- the time when Link was an adult. If you remember, you never see Link during that celebration because he was sent back to live through the years he missed, and you see all the other characters as they were when you met them as an adult. (Malon is old, etc.) So it would make sense for Ruto to appear as an adult in that scene.[/color]

[quote name='Monkeyfeet63']Well you also see that ruto as full grown adult in the end. Now why would that be?[/quote]

By 'in the end' you're refering to the scene where the five temple sages are standing on death mountain, right? This happens around the the same time as the celebration scene, which I always assumed happened directly after Ganondorf was killed, not back when Link was a boy again. That's why Ruto's grown up. Remember, it's after this scene when Link reappears in the temple of time in his original timeline. Why would everybody be celebrating something that hadn't happened yet?

When Link returns to his original timeline, everything else is as it was. Nothing is said about the sages dying so I think it's safe to assume that they didn't.