OtakuBoards

cutting

vegeta rocker

I mentioned in a poem i posted a few days agao that I used to mutilate myself.
Well a friend made me promise to stop and I am having a rather hard time keeping the promise. I can't very well get rid of everything sharp, i go to an art school and constantly use x-acto knives and scissors. So thats out of the question.

My question is, if anyone here has done this in the past, how did you stop?

And do you really think this is such a big deal?
I didn't think so but my friend convinced me it was, i still don't think so.
I don't have a disorder, it's just something to do when i get really emotional or angry.

So help me out.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean, I've tried to quit several times. But what does it matter, I don't cut all that deep or that much and I feel better when I do. I haven't really told any of my friends... I don't know why not, JJ used to do it and some of them have tried to kill themselves. But the suicidal ones always joke aorund about it, and I don't find it funny. I just found out JJ did it, and I'm not sure I should tell her. Like most people, she doesn't really like me.

[size=1] I feel a sense of deja vu, or something. Haven't you posted a thread named something close to this in the past? Not sure.

I have never cutted or anything, so yeah...that is about all I can give to this thread, really.

EDIT: I was right. It's strange how much I remember things.

[url]http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18402&highlight=cutting[/url]

Heh.[/size]

Yeah, Mitch, I did. That was near Christmas. But i wasn't asking how to stop, just how people felt about it. I actually didn't cut myself then. Eerie.

hahaha i remember either James or some Mod closed it because it put a damper on the Christmas mood.

Bah! Enough negativity. I will probably do just fine, but if anyone has any suggestions.......feel free.

Guest rttocs77
Cutting...Eww...That's a major sign that there just [i]might[/i] be something wrong. It's just plain stupid. Don't do it.

Oh, it's also illegal, but I have never heard of anyone going to jail for it, jus the funny farm.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rttocs77 [/i]
[B]Cutting...Eww...That's a major sign that there just [i]might[/i] be something wrong. It's just plain stupid. Don't do it.

Oh, it's also illegal, but I have never heard of anyone going to jail for it, jus the funny farm. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh how very subtle ¬_¬.

Anyway, I suppose it's a question of what causes you to harm yourself, what urges you to do it. Is it the addiction to the pain? Because in that case it's sort of like adrenaline junkies...in fact I think it is. Maybe you should talk to a doctor about it, or if you have, a phsyciatrist.

Bah, i don't know what I'm talking about.

you are taking frustration and anger on your body, there is a way to put those feelings into a different use, one is doing something to keep your mind off it like work. another way is doing karate or another martial art to channel negative energy into your work.
basically just preoccupy yourself when you are feeling your going to do that.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wiccansamurai [/i]
[B]It's not illegal. Things that send you to a mental institution are not necassarily illegal, just grounds to make people realize you may need help. Suicide isn't illegal, schitzophrenia isn't illegal, but they can all land you in the "funny farm". [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, you could send someone into an institution for comminting suicide, but I think that'd be [b][i]extremely[/i][/b] pointless since they're already dead and stuff.
As for the cutting thing, maybe you should think about seeing a psychologist about this. I know that sounds like a cornball answer, but it could help. It usually helps to talk to someone about things like this.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by .h4ck [/i]
[B]you are taking frustration and anger on your body, there is a way to put those feelings into a different use, one is doing something to keep your mind off it like work. another way is doing karate or another martial art to channel negative energy into your work.
basically just preoccupy yourself when you are feeling your going to do that. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=deeppink]
Amen to that.

Masochism, or 'cutting' is a disease. Even if you don't want to talk about it, or tell anyone about it, find something else to do whenever you feel like that. Martial arts is a great example. Mine happens to be drawing and writing. Hey, even if you're writing about it, it's better than the actual act. Find a way to get your emotions out in a healthy way. Leaving scars on your body usually only makes you feel worse, even if you feel better at the time you're doing it.

Kind of like drugs. But I won't go into that here.

wiccansamurai: People joke about suicide because they've tried it, and it makes it easier to deal with that fact if they take a lighter view on it. Yes, there's a rather sick undertone to it, a grim kind of acceptance. But that's better than not talking about it at all.

rttocs77: Your bluntness borders on sheer ignorance. Perhaps you should think before you type.

And that's all I have to say. Wow. I think I'll go to bed.

[QUOTE]wiccansamurai: People joke about suicide because they've tried it, and it makes it easier to deal with that fact if they take a lighter view on it. Yes, there's a rather sick undertone to it, a grim kind of acceptance. But that's better than not talking about it at all.[/QUOTE]

I tried to kill myslef before. And the kind of joking they do scares me and offends me. All of a sudden, Amanda will just go "Breanne, will you let me die?" and stuff like that. I don't think she should say things like this. I'm not sure if maybe this a plea of help, though. Maybe she really is going to try something.

[QUOTE]Well, you could send someone into an institution for comminting suicide, but I think that'd be extremely pointless since they're already dead and stuff.[/QUOTE]

I know what you meant, but as I already said, I have attempted suicide and I still can be put into a mental instition. Though I guess I would have to be extreme "Go, die, me!" or something like that to actually be sent to one. I was just saying, its not illegal.

Anyway I decided to tell one of my friends that I cut today. She does it too. I don't know, it might have been a stupid thing to do. She's really nice, though a bit wild. Angry.

Having a dangerous addiction, such as this cutting, [i]is[/i] a form of disorder. If you are having a hard time not cutting yourself when you feel frustrated, then there is an addiction. Addictions are problems. Therefore, Cutting is a problem that you have.

It may seem alright to you, but one day it could go beyond that. Many have. Sadly, they are not here today. You get my drift?

Self-mutilation is a disorder, same as compulsives. I know that everyone recommends this, but see a psychiatrist, or even talk to your parents perhaps.

If you don't want to do that, get a less destructive habit. If you feel annoyed, get a punching bag. Save up all the bad thoughts at school, get home, and belt the **** out of the bag.

Or try something more gentle and relaxing- go for a bike ride until you are exhausted, start a garden, get a job. Something to calm you, or take out your anger upon.

It may seem like a load of puerile rubbish, but it works. You need an outlet.

[quote]I don't have a disorder, it's just something I do when I get emotional or angry[/quote]

Eh. That is a dosorder I'm afraid. An Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or something. [*shrugs*]

It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you though.. you just need a different outlet for your emotions and stresses.

I wish you the best of luck.

[B]I tried to kill myslef before. And the kind of joking they do scares me and offends me. All of a sudden, Amanda will just go "Breanne, will you let me die?" and stuff like that. I don't think she should say things like this. I'm not sure if maybe this a plea of help, though. Maybe she really is going to try something. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=deeppink]
It used to scare and offend me too. But it gets to the point, where there's a numbness there, that you become willing to talk about it like that. I know that if I want to seriously confide in my friends about it, that they'll be there, and they will comfort me. If I begin to feel like cutting or committing suicide, they'll be there to stop me.

The joking is just a way to relieve the tension. But sometimes joking about suicide really does mean that person is really comtemplating it, especially if they're not willing to talk about it seriously, and always insist on joking about it. You should try talking to your friend.

Like Baron said, my advice is to seek help. Or at least find a better way to release your emotion. Talk with someone, anyone. PM me. Just don't wreak havoc on your own body.

Guest rttocs77
[B]It's not illegal. Things that send you to a mental institution are not necassarily illegal, just grounds to make people realize you may need help. Suicide isn't illegal, schitzophrenia isn't illegal, but they can all land you in the "funny farm". [/B][/QUOTE]

SUICIDE is illegal, technically. If you attempt suicide it's like attempted murder, but instead of going to jail you go to the funny farm. Cutting yourself is harming yourself, it is illegal. Schizophrenia (you spelled that wrong :D ) isn't illegal, its an illness and you aren't physically hurting anyone else by having it. If you cross the line into hurting yourself, or killing yourself, it [i] is[/i] considered illegal. Regardless of whether you're going it to someone else, or yourself.

Oh and you're pathetic come back was not amusing at all. You also used poor grammar towards the end of your useless comment.

[B]SUICIDE is illegal, technically. If you attempt suicide it's like attempted murder, but instead of going to jail you go to the funny farm. Cutting yourself is harming yourself, it is illegal. [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=blue]
if you get sent to the hospital for taking too many poisonous pills, right after they take everything out, do they send you to jail?
or press charges against you for attempted murder?
no.
do you know what they do???

they get a therapist to talk to you.

yes, to get you [I]help[/I].

getting help from a therapist/psychologist/whoever isn't bad.

its not a sign of weekness.

or a sign that your mentally sick, unstable, anything of the sort.

it just means you have some problems you need to overcome, and find other means to express yourself.

if somone tries to destroy/hurt/mutilate themselves, it is for a reason, whether that person is aware of the reason or not.

heh. your reasoning is like arresting somone for being old and senile...

if anyone ever wants to talk about [I]anything[/I] and they feel there is no one who will listen, you know how to pm me....
because there is always somone who will listen. remember that.

[/COLOR]

These will pretty much be my only thoughts on this topic, but we'll see how it's handled.

Say you get completely enraged one day. How deep do you plan to cut, and how much, until it all flows out of you?

I personally dont suggest it at all. I can't necessarily stop you either.

[B]The reason you don't get arrested for attempted suicide is because there is doctor confidentiality at the hospital. [/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=blue]
doctor confidentiality only goes so far. if you tell a therapist/psychologist person you want to kill yourself/somone else, and meant it, they are required by the hypocrasies (sp?) oath to report it[/COLOR]

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by lea2385 [/i]
[B][COLOR=blue]
doctor confidentiality only goes so far. if you tell a therapist/psychologist person you want to kill yourself/somone else, and meant it, they are required by the hypocrasies (sp?) oath to report it[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

hypocrisies? Using that word in the context you put it in is a little unclear...

Well yes, they are. You just don't get to go about your business and act like nothing happened if you OBVIOUSLY tried to end your life. In some cases, the places that treated you or therapists that see you, will seek court orders to get you placed in a facility that could help you. They just assume you would plead "insanity" in a court of law.

Techinically hurting yourself, killing yourself, or attempting to kill yourself is ILLEGAL. Your free will only goes so far, doing that stuff crosses the line.

This is a pretty sketchy site, it says that it is illegal oneselfto back my point, but at least it backs my point. [URL=http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm357355.html]here[/URL]

She meant the Hippocratic oath, which all doctors take. Basically just a code of ethics, and if they think you will harm yourself or others then confidentiality can be broken.

Suicide is illegal because if it wasn't then police wouldn't be able to stop someone from committing suicide. I don't think you can go to jail for it.

I know it may sound repetitive, but I think it would be a good idea to seek help. Even if it's just confiding with someone who cares, or going to a therapist, it would help you with what you're going through. I have not done that myself.. but I know where the sources of those urges come from...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by vegeta rocker [/i]
[B]I mentioned in a poem i posted a few days agao that I used to mutilate myself.
Well a friend made me promise to stop and I am having a rather hard time keeping the promise. I can't very well get rid of everything sharp, i go to an art school and constantly use x-acto knives and scissors. So thats out of the question.

My question is, if anyone here has done this in the past, how did you stop?

And do you really think this is such a big deal?
I didn't think so but my friend convinced me it was, i still don't think so.
I don't have a disorder, it's just something to do when i get really emotional or angry.

So help me out. [/B][/QUOTE]

I've had several friends (both male and female) who regularly cut themselves. Some had more serious psychological issues than others, but all were eventually diagnosed as being depressed.

Cutting [i]is[/i] a big deal. It's not normal. It's certainly far from healthy. Any kind of self-mutilation serves to indicate that something is seriously wrong. Whether your problems are emotional or chemical (a mental illness would fall under the latter category), you need to stop, and seek help.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but you're not a medical professional. You can't claim with absolute certainty that you don't have a disorder. Anyway, would it be so terrible if you did? Take your cutting, your uncontrollable emotions, your anger--what if all of that was simply caused by a chemical imbalance, one which could easily be corrected through the proper combination of drugs?

I don't envy your friend. It's [i]very[/i] difficult to be close to someone who cuts, or is depressed and suicidal. If you're in a bad mood and say something insensitive, you might inadvertently drive him/her to hurt him/herself.

Best of luck with overcoming your habit. Once again, I strongly encourage you to see a professional.

~Dagger~

[size=1]I have had friends that do this, or have done it. One was sent to therapy, and she got over it. However, I have one friend in particuar that I have had involvement with helping him/her stop.

It all started about a year ago when we were hanging out and he/she stole an accessory of mine, and would not give back no matter how many times I asked or tried to retrieve it. Eventually I just let him/her keep it. Later on I found out that this person on occasion would drink some kind of alcoholic beverage under consent of his/her parents. Of course, me being the anti-drug person I am was fairly upset about this and told them to stop and he/she kept saying that he/she "Only does it on occassion and it is never that much." However, it made no difference to me. At this time I still planned on getting my accessoriy back, but I knew that he/she liked it so I told him/her that he/she could keep it as long as he/she promises never to drink again under the condition that if he/she does, and I find out, he/she has to give it back to me. So this accessory then began to hold emotional significance.

Earlier this year I found out that this person has a tendency to cut themselves every so often due to a lot of family problems and such. I was not really mad or shocked at this point, because I kind of saw it coming, but all I really cared about was getting him/her to stop. So through a bit of discussion I told him/her that the accessory now carries more weight, and he/she accepted. So that thing symbolizes the fact that if no one else, he/she has at least one person who cares about him/her. So he/she can never say that he/she has no one to turn to.

The only way to really get over something is to talk about it. Find someone to confide in that is going to care enough to stick with you and help you through it. If nothing else, go see a therapist. It is definitely not a healthy habit to have.[/size]

[QUOTE]Oh and you're pathetic come back was not amusing at all. You also used poor grammar towards the end of your useless comment.[/QUOTE]

What comeback? And what does grammer matter? AS, long, as, I. dont strarT writing? like this" I don't think it really matters all that much. And I don't even know what was wrong with it, though. Anyway, I think I'm done with the argument wether or not its illegal, it could go on forever without an end. I think cutting is a bad habit. I'm bad at getting out of bad habits. I agree with lea, though. They wouldn't press charges on you, send you to jail, or give you a fine.