OtakuBoards

LoTR: The Return of the King

eleanor

[size=1][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]First of all, my Legolas rant: I used to love Legolas, especially when the first movie came out. After all the girls fell in love with him and Orlando Bloom became the "thing," I got tired of him quick. When I saw him I almost wanted to roll my eyes, even though he looked very beautiful as an elf. GET OVER HIM ALREADY! YOU'VE RUINED IT FOR EVERYONE, FANGIRLS! *Pulls her hair out*

[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm very proud to say that I was a Dominic/Viggo/Elijah fan right from the start. No Orlando for me. ^_^[/size]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the luxery of seeing it last night at 11pm and it was worth the wait. While 3 hours and 20 minutes IS a long time to sit, it didn't spoil my opinion of the movie. I am sad, however, that its now over and pretty soon the hype surrouding it will be gone. It is still a masterpiece.

My only gripe about ROTK was [SPOILER] that it was essentially a 3 hour long battle and that got old pretty quick, especially when they would take 5 minute breaks to have charector interaction. Not to mention the COUNTLESS "even if we die, we'll die victoriously" speeches that everyone and their mother kept giving.[/SPOILER] But still so enjoyable

All in all, this was a wonderful movie and a wonderful ending to one of the most imaginitive movies of our time!

Guest MrSonic
I saw it yesterday. It was sooo cool. The only part I did'nt like was [SPOILER]when Froto got his finger bitten off by Smeagle[/SPOILER]. If you have the money, go see it.

[size=1][color=teal]

Yes, everyone's excited about it just as much as me... (especially all our OB Legolas Fans). But what about next year!? We have nothing to look forward too except [i]Harry Potter[/i] but I don't even like Harry Potter. I mean no more Matrix and no more LoTR to expect!

I still say the first movie they made (instead of Fellowship) should've been The Hobbit. Then continued it from there. So we'd be seeing Two Towers THIS year and Return of the King NEXT year. Besides each movie would have a litle better graphics due to they went ahead one year in the future. ^_~

But that didn't happen so I hope they make The Hobbit a movie. (But real life).

-Lrb[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lrb [/i]
[B][size=1][color=teal]I still say the first movie they made (instead of Fellowship) should've been The Hobbit. Then continued it from there. So we'd be seeing Two Towers THIS year and Return of the King NEXT year. Besides each movie would have a litle better graphics due to they went ahead one year in the future. ^_~

But that didn't happen so I hope they make The Hobbit a movie. (But real life).

-Lrb[/size][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, all three films were made over the same 18-month period (disregarding a few occasional reshoots in subsequent years). So even if Peter Jackson had decided to make The Hobbit before the LotR trilogy, it wouldn't have had much of an effect on the movies' graphics. Personally, in terms of FX, I'd rather have consistency than visible improvement.

Although I'd love to see a film of The Hobbit, I'm afraid that it would seem a little anticlimactic, especially after the splendor of RotK.

~Dagger~

I just saw it last night and Im seeing it again tomarrow. That is my favorite of all three! (Mainly because Pippin (Billy Boyd) was in it more then Orlando Bloom *evil smile*)

The effects as always were awesome. Golum, the dragon things, the spider.... *shudders* I hated that part. And I think we all loved the little models of The Kingdom of Gondor and such.

Orlando Bloom rant: He looks like a friggin' girl! I never really liked the character to begin with. Oralando is a good actor, but not the pretty boy in my eyes. I laugh at (most) of the OB (Orlando Bloom) fans because he was barely even in ROTK! Ha!

But, I think this movie was great and the three and a half hour stay in a large dark room with tons of people (And a screaming kid behind me) was worth it.
Did anyone here about the Special preview on the opening day when the ticket costs $50, but they show the extended versions of Fellowship, Two Towers, and ROTK, with an hour break in between each? It was a 12 hour long event! I was so mad when my mom told me one of her students went to it!

Things that should be taken out of the movie: 1.When that guy was stabbed when the orks crossed the river and started fighting. That was completly pointless! 2. When Aragorn started signing. yes, that was nice, but was a bit creepy oO

My favorite part would have to be: [spoiler]When Faromir's father runs off of the top of the Kingdom when he is caight on fire. I laughed my *** off. Also when Pippin discovered that Gandolf sleeps with his eyes open.. teehee. [/spoiler]

Pippin rocks!

Finally, I got to see the movie It seemed like I had waited a lifetime for and......

It really blew away my expectations, because, as Ozzy pointed out already, the hype here was so enormous about these movie, i wondered if we were expecting too much, after all, it is a film, can it be that wonderful after all is said and done, and the hype taken away?

yes, it will be a masterpeice for ages to come. Bigger than Ben Hurr? you betcha! destined to sit on my shelves as a complete trilogy of extened DVD sets.

[spoiler] The whole love tangle between aragorn and Arwen was a brilliant subplot in the movie. Call me a hopeless romantic, but the scenes where we are introduced to the idea that if she wants to marry a mortal, she will become mortal and die, and yet she still wants him was very emotional.

Mordor was fantastic, and the battle in Gondor. This battle, like James mentioned, did so much more for me than the machine battle of Matrix revolutions, why? well it was because it had a more humanan feel to it, a sort of sympathy for those who had come under the rings seduction and power, while hoping for Frodo to succeed, and the forces of Gondor to hold off the Orcs.

you couln't help but feel for poor Gollum, corrupted by the ring. It was quite the ending when Semagol's desire to hold and take his precious was the very thign that led to it's destruction, I think i actually sged a tear for poor Smeagol, it was very emotional.

The scene with Denethor set on fire, and falling over the face of the fortress wall was one scene that spoke volumes, as the camera zooms out, he becomes a mere speck int he grand scheme of things. It's really well done. [/spoiler]

I though the ending was drawn out, but that was quite a good thing, i still haven't had my full fix of ROTK yet anyhow, [spoiler] I was quite looking forward to the grey havens scene, I kne it would be emotional and it was. although it didn't look too grey did it. :therock:[/spoiler]

Peter Jackson did us Kiwis proud, I filled with pride watching this film, knowing that our land was beautiful enough to be called middle earth. Once, i dreamed of living abroad, now, i couln't dream of leaving here ^_^ The movie has awoken two things for me.

1) Tolkien's masterpieces, i am currently working my way through The fellowship.

2) appreciation for the contry I lvie in and it's unspoiled beauty.

[size=1][color=darkblue]Ahhh yes, Lord of the Rings. Anyway... I saw it Friday night, it was done very well. The only thing is... I had to leave during Shelob(sp?) due to the fact that my blatter was going to burst.
Lol, my friend is a big Legolas fan, not Orlando Bloom, Legolas. She is a Legolas nut, I swear.... she even screamed when he came on screen. LOL. As for be, I am more a Aragorn(sp?)(Viggo) fan. ^_~ I think Legolas is a cool character and all, but you can't beat Aragorn(sp?)! ^^ My sister on the other hand likes Pippin. I like his character too actually, but she thinks he's cute, and I don't really. :p
I do believe the end got everyone though, since it kept seeming like the end at different parts. People actually left 15 minutes before it ended because they didn't know. But I was warned that that happened. I didn't quite get the end even.
I loved this one along with all the others. Haha [spoiler]I loved seeing Shauron(sp?) be beaten by a girl! But I thought he was beaten rather easily, I mean, he should have been more powerful.[/spoiler] I also loved the battles! So awsome. I think the special effects were great on this one. [spoiler]I thought it was rather funny when Smeagol was holding the ring and was looking all happy as he fell into the lava. Lol, hey it was a happy death, hn?[/spoiler]
Well, at the moment, that's all I have to say. Oh yes, if you havn't seen it.... go soon! It's very good, this movie can't let you down! ^^[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1][B]I don't know what my problem is... but I just think Orlando Bloom is kinda cute... he was the one that fell out of a window... my friend copies me, she teased me about it first then she was saying she liked him first. I HATE MY FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!

Yeah....

Oh, my favourite part was [spoiler]When Legolas jumped on the elephant thing, and killed all the men and when he slid down the trunk he clicked his neck at Gimli, and Gimli says it still only counts as one! I loved that part![/spoiler] Yeah, that was a good one. The end was great, [spoiler]When Frodo went off with Legolas, Bilbo, Gandalf and the Elves. My brother was crying, but it was great. Sam really made you cry! I didn't know the guy who played Pippin could sing...[/spoiler][/SIZE][/B]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Conna_da_fox [/i]
[B][size=1][color=darkblue]
I loved this one along with all the others. Haha [spoiler]I loved seeing Shauron(sp?) be beaten by a girl! But I thought he was beaten rather easily, I mean, he should have been more powerful.[/spoiler][color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]Just so you know, that wasn't Sauron himself--it was merely his head minion, the Witch-King of Angmar. The Witch-King is also, incidentally, the guy who stabbed Frodo on Weathertop. He's nowhere near as powerful as Lord Sauron, but he [i]is[/i] the leader of the Nazgul/Black Riders, so the fact that Eowyn was able to defeat him speaks volumes about her strength and courage.

Sauron has no body; he can only be seen in the form of a flaming eye. The only way to destroy him is to destroy the Ring.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1][B][spoiler]The best thing is though, when Eowyn kills him:

"No man can kill me"
"I am no man!" Then she sabs the freaky ba**ard! It was a good thing to here her say that. I can't believe Merry fought in that war too, he looked pretty cool in the armour.

Also, I love the end where Frodo, Sam, Pippin and Merry rode back to the Shire on horses.[/spoiler]

But what Dagger said is true...[/SIZE][/B]

About Orlando: I was a Billy Boyd and Viggo type girl from the start ;) And I do agree, I liked Orlando at first, but the fangirls ruined it for me. And so did the friend I sat next to during my first viewing, who squealed every time he popped on. And when he wasn't on, she say loudly, "Yeah yeah yeah, get to Legolas!"

About the aforementioned gay subtext, Dagger: Lol. It did seem like Aragorn was about to kiss Legolas in that scene, especially since his elven robes looked a bit like a wedding dress, if I do say so myself....

And about the Witch King line: They needed to instill some girlpower into the movie. The only other girl characters are Arwen and Galadriel, and both are quite passive, unless you count Arwen's little scene in the Nazgul in Fellowship of the Ring. That scene is straight from the book, but the dialogue definately isn't, and I don't remember it being much of a climactic moment. I'll have to read it again.

Sorry guys, meant to post a [i]long[/i] time ago.
As nearly everyone else has said, this has to be one of my absolute favorite movies of all time! It was incredibly well done, and it had better get Best Picture, or a few members of "the Academy" won't be reviewing movies any more by the time I'm through with them... :flaming:
One of my fave parts had to be [spoiler]Pippin singing! *sighs* I nearly melted! I'm a sucker for guys who can sing...just so all you men out there know... ;)[/spoiler]
There's been a lot of talk about the false endings. The only one that really bothered me was when [spoiler]Frodo and Sam were on the rock, it faded out and returned to the same scene only with them now laying down. What I want to know is...what happened there??? :laugh:[/spoiler] But all the false endings were necessary. You needed a last look at all the characters, and there were a ton of loose ends to tie up. [spoiler]Sam and Rosie's wedding was very necessary. It proves there's nothing b/t him and Frodo as funny and flaming as they seemed together... The best part of the wedding was Pippin catching the flowers. When he looked over at Diamond (if I'm remembering her name correctly), I nearly died laughing! Everyone else stopped laughing before I was halfway done...it was late, I spent the next several minutes shaking w/ silent laughter...:laugh:[/spoiler]
Maybe I was just really tired (saw it at midnight), but there were overwhelming gay notes in the movie, as much as I'd like to dispell them... It's really sad that things like that are considered gay, but in today's soceity, you can't help it. The worst was [spoiler]Frodo on the hospital bed... What were Merry and Pippin doing?!?! And then, as each person came in, their expressions...[/spoiler] Oh God! I was smacking myself in the head it was so dirty!!
As far as the Orlando thing goes, when the first movie came out, I really liked him, but I liked Aragorn as well (not to mention Merry and Pippin). The thing was that I loved Aragorn in the books and Merry and Pippin as well. However, I sort of ignored Legolas in the books: he was cool, but I paid more attention to Gimli b/c of his connection to Gloin in The Hobbit. I was actually sort of wary b/c Legolas was a Mirkwood elf. I'm really sick of all the girls who only went to see the LOTR movies for "Orli". :rolleyes: When the Pirates of the Caribbean preview aired before TTT last year, there was actually a roar of cheers when his name flashed across the screen. (of course, I was the only one who went, "Oh yeah!!!" when it said "Johnny Depp". *cries* He's so wonderful!!)
*steps off of anti-orli soapbox*
I actually missed the Purging of the Shire. (I'm not worried about the other cut scenes since they'll at least be on the DVD.) That part may have seemed anti-climatic, but Tolkien didn't write his books w/ the audience really in mind. I mean, if he really had us in mind, would have kept long sequences of untranslated Elvish in them? No. It was written as a mythology, a more lyrical, narrative history, but a history nonetheless. The Purging of the Shire was necessary to show how far the evil had reached. It also displayed the abilities of the hobbits when left alone without all of their big protectors. It also showed how blind people are to the true heroes sometimes. [spoiler]In Hobbiton, Merry and Pippin got all the credit b/c they led the rebellion. The hobbits couldn't see how it helped at all that Frodo and Sam and taken the ring to Mount Doom.[/spoiler]
Wow...um...I think I've written too much. If I come up w/ anything else, I'll add it later!
~art~

Guest Teammayhem
Okay, please don't kill me for this, but...

...aren't most teenage girls going to see this movie for Orlando Bloom?

Here in my town, that's what it seems like... is it true?

[SIZE=1][B]Most are, but I went to see it for the true end of the whole thing, and see if it's the first movie to make me cry, it was close, but not close enough!!!

Most are, it depends... OB is cute, but he's not the MAIN character in the movie, I mean Frodo was the main character. It depends on what 'type' of person.[/SIZE][/B]

I just saw this movie today and it was just amazing. Best movie I have seen in my life.

The only peeve I had about it was the false endings.[spoiler] The first time where the screen went black with Frodo and Sam on the rock I was about yell "It better not end there!". I also thought the movie was going to end after Aragorn was crowned and I thought that would've been an okay ending..... but then it continued. Then I thought it would end after the scene where Frodo left on the boat..... but then it didn't. Oh yeah, I too thought Frodo was going to kiss Sam when they were saying goodbye, I mean the way Frodo looked at Sam after they hugged, I was like "They're going to kiss aren't they?".[/spoiler] As much as I didn't like the false endings, I really didn't want it to end.

[spoiler]One of my favorite parts was when Legolas jumped on that elephant and killed all those men. He may not have had a big part in the movie, but that scene sure did make up for it. I almost laughed after Legolas jumped off the elephant because he made that pose. [/spoiler]They just had to throw that in there, didn't they? lol.

Oh yeah,[spoiler] when Eowyn said "I am no man, I am a woman!" to that Witch King, I knew she was going to say something like that after he said "No man can kill me."[/spoiler]

All in all, it was a great movie. ^_^ Merry and Pippin rule!

The movie was awesome. It was the best of the three. The part I like throughout the battle scenes at the end is that Legolas and Gimli kept counting how many orcs they killed...lol. And I can't believe no one has said anything about this but [spoiler]the army of the dead was awesome...they kicked some major ***. They just swooped through there and every orc was dead... And the other funny part is when Sam hit Gollum (or Smeagol if you wish) in the head with that pan. But I agree that Frodo getting half of his finger bitten off by Gollum/Smeagol was disturbing. Another thing is that when Frodo was about to drop the ring into the lava he turned around and said "The ring is mine" I was like "NO, what the hell?" but then Smeagol/Gollum shows up and knocks some sense into him by bitting half of his finger off, that works. And, I never tought that Legolas and Aragorn were gonna kiss or Sam and Frodo or Merry and Pippen. I mean if you went through all that with your friends you would be that close too, right.[/spoiler] Anyways, the movie was awesome. If you didn't see it, go, NOW!!!

One of my favorite moments in RotK takes place towards the end of the Battle of Pelennor Fields, when [spoiler]Gimli, Legolas, Aragorn, Gandalf and everyone else are relaxing after a long and difficult fight. The area seems to be relatively calm--at least until the camera pans out. In the background, you then see Aragorn's ghost army turn a stray oliphant into a living mosh pit. They simply sweep over it, knocking it to the ground as though it weighs little more than a feather.[/spoiler]

That had me laughing for about ten minutes. Peter Jackson has a sly sense of humor that shows up again and again throughout the three films, and I rarely grow tired of LotR's little jokes.

~Dagger~

Heh, you noticed that too, Dagger? I was trying not to laugh, because no one else was, and it was awkward. But I failed. Of course, the audience laughed at very innapropriate moments, like the scene with Shelob. :eek:

What annoyed me was some of the audience members who hadn't seen any of the movies or read the books, and had to LOUDLY ask what was going on. Gack.

Anyways, one of my favorite parts was [spoiler] probably when Pippin was singing. I'm just the biggest sucker for all that emotion and angst that went into it, plus he had a gorgeous tenor voice. More innapropriate laughing, I guess some idiots thought his voice was girly. I could have done without the close-up shots of Denethor eating... even though they screamed visual symbolism... [/spoiler]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JazzLady22 [/i]
[B]Anyways, one of my favorite parts was [spoiler] probably when Pippin was singing. I'm just the biggest sucker for all that emotion and angst that went into it, plus he had a gorgeous tenor voice. More innapropriate laughing, I guess some idiots thought his voice was girly. I could have done without the close-up shots of Denethor eating... even though they screamed visual symbolism... [/spoiler] [/B][/QUOTE]

That was by far my favorite scene in the entire movie. [spoiler]Denethor's gluttony didn't exactly whet my appetite, but then, it was better than the part when Gollum tore into a raw, hideously juicy fish. Like you mentioned, there was so much symbolism to be gleaned from the juxtaposition of Pippin's beautiful voice, Denethor eating, and Faramir riding into battle.

My mom and I actually had a pretty long discussion about that after the movie--one of her first comments was that the red stuff dribbling down Denethor's chin bore a close resemblance to blood.[/spoiler]

Ugh, I hate it when people laugh at inappropriate moments. Although I couldn't help chuckling myself when the movie began with a scene of two blissfully peaceful hobbits, and it became obvious that at least half the audience had no idea what was going on.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]That was by far my favorite scene in the entire movie. [spoiler]Denethor's gluttony didn't exactly whet my appetite, but then, it was better than the part when Gollum tore into a raw, hideously juicy fish. Like you mentioned, there was so much symbolism to be gleaned from the juxtaposition of Pippin's beautiful voice, Denethor eating, and Faramir riding into battle.

My mom and I actually had a pretty long discussion about that after the movie--one of her first comments was that the red stuff dribbling down Denethor's chin bore a close resemblance to blood.[/spoiler]

Ugh, I hate it when people laugh at inappropriate moments. Although I couldn't help chuckling myself when the movie began with a scene of two blissfully peaceful hobbits, and it became obvious that at least half the audience had no idea what was going on.

~Dagger~ [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh gosh, Billy Boyd has an awesome voice! I have to say, I didn't expect any of the Hobbits to sing unless it was in a pub and they were getting drunk (like during the first 10 min. I loved that part as well). I could always see Legolas or Arwen singing... darn elves...
I'm going to by the Soundtrack and i'm hoping they have the song sung by Billy Boyd, but most likely they won't... *sniffle*
Yes, It was very cool how they changed the scenes to Farimir, to Denethor, and to Pippin, but I think they should have let down a little bit on Denethor's rude eating habbit :o

Yeah, I was a bit freaked out when I saw the blood-like substance running down his chin. I didn't know if it was from the food, or, if Pippin's pretty song made him bite his lip or something. (Or he could have been eating so fast he took a chunk out of his tongue).

Guest ocarinaboy520
I have to say that my favorite parts in the whole movie were during the battle of Pelenor Fields. I loved when Merry stabbed the Witch King :excited: and when Gimli and Legolas are counting their kills and Legolas kills an oliphaunt and alll the men on it, and he comes down and Gimli is yelling "That still only counts as one!":laugh: [QUOTE]"You shall not pass"-Gandalf from LotR FotR[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]I have to resound, like many others have, that this was a great movie. Definitely on the top ten list. This trilogy is easily one of the best (behind the original Star Wars, and only a bit ahead of the new Star Wars, till I can see the third movie. . sorry, but for those that know me, I am a Jedi at heart and nothing will top those)

Most people are saying that there was awkward laughing during your movie? Well, it was worse for me -_- Almost anytime anyone in the movie would do something, everyone in the theater would clap. . I don?t know why, most of the scenes were not THAT great. Good, but not really ?applause? necessary. I am not kidding. . it was really rather embarrassing that people were getting that excited over. . say, . Denethorn eating? *sigh*

As for the Denethorn scene where he has what looks like blood running down his lip. Perhaps that is to show how sloppy of an eater he is? Perhaps it was an accident that they just left in the movie. ---- For those that don?t know what I am talking about, an example would be Aragorn kicking one of the Urak-Hia helmets in The Two Towers. In the special features section in the extended edition DVD, they talk about how he had to do multiple takes because Peter Jackson wanted a different yell or a different angle on that scene. Well, I think on the final take, he kicked it, and let out a really good scream, dropping to his knees and all. How did he get such a good reaction? Because when he kicked the helmet that last time, he broke two of his toes *snicker* It?s not really funny, but the fact that they let little bits like that in the movie because it really worked, it?s pretty cool. (Another quick example would be when Pippen and Merry stole the big firework from Gandalf?s wagon. When it went off, Pippen shrieked because he was caught off guard. So, that ?girlie? yell (if you will) was really Pippen caught very off guard ^_^) . . . Just thought I would share those with those who have not seen the special features on the extended edition DVD.

Touching on another note, everyone says there were ?gay? notes in the movie? Is it wrong to be that close to someone that you are great friends with? I am not saying that there is anything wrong with them kissing, but just being close to someone that you have struggled with that much, I don?t think there is anything wrong with that. I think some people just misread scenes in the movie, or your imagination ran wild with some of the scenes. *shrug* Not saying there is anything wrong with thinking that way, but I just don?t see it like that. . oh well.

As for favorite scenes, there are too many for me to list. I will name one of my favorites of those though:

[SPOILER]I really enjoyed the whole Rohan army charging into the orcs. I especially loved how the main commander was cocky in thinking that a few volleys of arrows would again stop a group of riders. Seeing his face as he realized his life was over was just classic. The best thing about watching that scene was just seeing the massive army of Sauron get ripped into by the horseman of Rohan. Something about Theodin and his quest for charging recklessly in the battle of Helms Deep sort of resounded here. It was great.[/SPOILER]

I think the most predictable line comes from something Circeus said a few pages back. When Eowyn fought the Witch-King (while, a very good fight) the whole, ?I am not a man? or whatever. . it was just waiting there. I have watched enough movies to predict lines here and there, but an eight year old could have gotten that one *cries* Oh well. . I guess they felt that the girl-power message was needed, but the movie would have gone a lot differently if not for two of the main women in the movie. Lady Galadriel convinced Elrond that the humans needed help, in turn, he sent like. . a small army of Elves to aid the Rohanians in the battle of Helms Deep. As for Arwen, if she didn?t come back to her father to convince him to re-forge Narsil, he in turn wouldn?t have talked to Aragorn, telling him about the undead army. So. . I don?t really think there was a need for the whole girl-power scene except that most of the Orlando Bloom/Legolas fan-girls might not have caught that. . just my opinion I guess *shrug*

I will post more later, but if I put anymore here, people will think I am writing a novel. Sorry, I just like to put a lot of thought down at once, instead of a post at a time for each thought. I could never remember as much as I wrote here, and I have a lot more on my mind *sigh* . . oh well.[/SIZE][/COLOR]