OtakuBoards

Most Frustrating Gaming Moments...

Erika

[SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]This's [B]got[/B] to be a ludicrous subject! And a way to let off some steam.

I didn't know exactly where to start this thread, but since Nintendo's been around since I was born, I picked the Nintendo forum. And aside from having the best games around, Nintendo had also (and still does) at the same time ticked me off with just about every game I've played.

And got me annoyed, too. I got this idea while playing Animal Crossing the other night.

This topic ranges from the most difficult to the most TV-hurling moments you've ever faced in Nintendo.

[I]Some of the Most Frusterating Moments I've Faced[/I]
-Getting through the dialogue in Animal Crossing.
-The giant praying mantis bosses in Jetforce Gemini, and trying to defeat them with the dog.
-Mario Sunshine itself.
-Save Battery dying out on SNES cartridges.
-Trying to beat A Link to the Past without dying, only to discover in the credits that I died once in in the first dungeon.
-In any Rare game, time limits.
-The Dodge 'Em-style Mine Cart bonus stages in Donkey Kong 64.
-Someone saving over Final Fantasy data on the NES.

That's about all I can think of now. I'd say the most [B]irritating[/B] moment on this list would be Animal Crossing. [B]They--won't--shut--up--!![/B]

And about Jetforce Gemini. I remember this clearly...it took me, literally, 10 tries before I finally beat them. 'Thing is, on the last try, my friend was with me. I guess friends can be good luck charms.

Mario Sunshine. Not only are the stages repetitive, I get sick of restarting the stage in the Delfino Plaza. And the Manta Ray boss on the beach drives me insane. This game has received the worst language from me.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dialogue in Animal Crossing? Other than the times it repeated, I thought that game had such a great localization. I loved hearing the stupid and weird comments the characters would make... even Mr. Rosetti. He rocked! I suppose at times it can go on for quite a while depending on the situation, but I personally enjoyed it overall.

As for SMS, I can see where you're coming from. I didn't find the individual stages repetitive, but the goals certainly were. Having to revisit the same area 10 times to get all the Shines and then go onto another new world and do a few of the same goals (Shadow/Water Mario for instance) got really annoying. I think it's awesome as a pure platformer though.

And I still cannot figure out why FF on the NES allows only one save slot. Whose idea was that? Even Dragon Warrior, released years before, allowed three saves. Lame.

I don't know what my frustrating moments were. I think most were in the NES days and they all involved third parties. So I'll speak of one of those, a game which I have a lot of experience in -- Super Pitfall.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with Pitfall. It originally appeared on the Atari 2600 and was done by Activision, a rather premiere publisher at the time. There were a couple mundane sequels (most recently Mayan Adventure and that new one that's not out yet), but this was just horrible.

I don't know whose idea it was, but it was made by Pony Canyon. Activision just recoded it for the US. The game involves saving your cat and your girlfriend, apparently.

It just has so many things in it that are annoying and make you want to pull your hair out. The control isn't bad, but everything else is. The graphics are so primitive that you don't know what's what, there are invincible enemies that lunge out at you, your gun shoots the equivalent of 3 feet and then the bullet disappears, if you don't jump off a ledge you simply fall and fall and fall until you land somewhere else (the game world is so deep that this can take over a minute somtimes), one hit kills you, etc.

The worst thing is definitely the non-linearity of the game. You have no clue what to do. Added to this is the fact that any item of importance is INVISIBLE and you'll see the problem. You basically have to walk and jump around in every little corner in the hopes of something appearing or a warp taking you to a new area.

If you manage to finish it, you're treated to a bonus quest which is just the same exact game with items in new places. What happens if you beat that? You get to play it over and over and over and over again. Yeah, that's right... it NEVER ENDS!!!!

Gah, worst game I've ever played... although it can be fun just running around and seeing how dumb it is.

Yes, this is a topic that I am well familiar with...I've had many a frustrating moment in gaming. I'm well known to yell and scream during especially frustrating moments. I'm not as bad as I used to be but I still have my moments, heh.

Recently, the most frustrating gaming moment for me would have to be found in Super Mario Sunshine. Just pick and choose any of the little mini-levels in which Shadow Mario steals the FLUDD and I can guarantee that I was not in a good mood by the time I was done with the level. I hated those things with a passion.

Also, even though I love shooters, they can ignite my vicious temper very, very easily. Shooters are well known as being very tough games and, trust me on this, you don't want to be around me after I've played through an especially tough shooter, heh. The most frustrating shooter I've ever played would have to be Super R-Type; God, that thing was insane. I died like once every couple seconds while playing it.

And, yeah, I can relate with the sentiment about Link to the Past. I must have beaten the game completely (that is, beat it and got all of the items) about five or six times and I have still yet to beat the game without dying at all. I've gotten close but then some bastard enemy always comes out of nowhere and kills me when I have one heart left or something. And it's always something wimpy like an Octorok or those crab/bumblebee things (what the hell are those, anyway?).

I could go on forever with this but I have limited time, so I'll stop while I'm ahead. Just thinking about all this crap is getting me angry. lol

EDIT: For some reason, PoisonTongue's comments about the Back to the Future game reminded me of this one level in The Lion King (Just Can't Wait to be King, I believe). Basically, you just went through the level jumping through obstacles. HOWEVER, if Simba touched even one little pixel he was not supposed to touch, he died. Immediately. I swear, it took me fifty curse-filled lives to get through the first part of the level.

Then I died during the second part and had to repeat the entire level again.

Just Can't Wait to be King = most frustrating and unfun level in a video game I've ever played.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinmaru [/i]
[B]Recently, the most frustrating gaming moment for me would have to be found in Super Mario Sunshine. Just pick and choose any of the little mini-levels in which Shadow Mario steals the FLUDD and I can guarantee that I was not in a good mood by the time I was done with the level. I hated those things with a passion.
[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=midnightblue]I feel for you, Shinmaru. Those things got very, very tedious and they all were pretty similar. Yet, still, they are fond memories for me. I spent hours trying to beat them, going through bags and bags of popcorn and passing out from too much root beer (Hey, it was [i]way[/i] over its expiration date. I think it actually did de-root itself).

I remember fighting Ganondorf in The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker being very difficult for me, as well. It took me about four days of nonstop playing to finally get into the swing of things, and even then I had to try for another twelve hours or so. Of course, now it is easy for me, and I like to go back and kick dear Ganondorf's sorry rear, and I shall persist until I pay him back for all of the painstaking hours of frustration he caused me.

Sonic Adventure 2 caused me a good amount of frustration also. I mean, 90% of that game was simple and fun, but the timed levels with Knuckles and Rouge drove me up the wall. It just.. Really ticked me off. The random locations of the Emerald Shards plus the music in combination with that horrible beeping shard locator really drove me mad. I think I yelled at my mom for asking me if I wanted takeout one night while playing.

And, perhaps the most annoying of all, was the very first level of Wispy Woods in Kirby: Super Star on Super Nintendo. It was the very first game I had for my very first console, and I was so excited when we finally got it to work.. Then I had to float over that large, steep, pinkish hill rising out of the ground right in front of me. My seven-year-old brain did not grasp the concept of pressing A rhythmically. At that moment I swore I would never play a video game again.. Oh, how wrong I was.

I, too, could go on for hours. I don't have the time though..[/color]

Believe it or not, my most frustrating gaming moments did not come from singleplayer mode...for as long as I can remember, my most frustrating gaming moments came from deathmatching and general video gaming parties.

Of course, the Potty Break Backstab pissed me off. PBB is when your friends unpause the game while you're in the potty and essentially beat the living **** out of you in the game, often dropping you down by 2 lives or giving you one health block left and training their KF7 Soviet's at your head. That was pretty annoying, but there was an artistic quality to it, so I'm not too pissed, because...well, I do the same exact thing. We're all evil little buggers.

I recall one time during Mario Party 4. I was in the lead, had some 13 coins, a Genie Lamp, and we were in free-for-all mode, so no "game-endorsed" alliances. The Mini-Game comes up: it was the Thwomp Balloon Stomp one. Scott and I are put on one team, Jenn and Chris on the other. The Mini-Game starts, and I find that Scott is not jumping with me. I ask him, "Scott?! What are you doing?!?" He calmly and very nonchalantly turns, "Alex, if you win, you'll have enough for a Star." Jenn and Chris had three more combined jumps to win when Scott started jumping. Little bugger.

Other frustrating moments in gaming actually happened to my friends instead of to me.

Case in point. During a very heated Smash Melee match between Yours Truly and Chris, Chris was quoted as saying, "I still haven't hit the floor yet, Alex." He had approximately 80% damage in the span of 1 minute. None of my friends enjoy me playing as Shiek. So, yeah, Chris found that pretty frustrating. He doesn't enjoy losing, either, lol. Many a time has he squeezed my hand as I offer my handshake after giving him a jolly good rodgering in Smash. :)

EDIT INSERT: Mustn't forget Matt's little, "STOP THROWING THINGS AT ME, ALEX!" I had pretty good accuracy with a beam sword. Matt yelled at me after a beam sword came spinning in the air from the other side of the arena and smacked into him. Muahehehee. Guess who threw it.

Jenn screams quite often when we're in the basement--er...playing video games, of course. ^_^;;;

So, I really haven't had terribly frustrating experiences in singleplayer modes; most of my tough times are experienced in the presence of others.

Though, I do recall some of GoldenEye's cheat times were a *****-and-a-half to obtain...Facility on 00 Agent in 2:05 or better...Water Caverns on 00 Agent in 9:00 or better...grrr, lol.

EDIT: OOH OH OH!!! Back To The Future 3 for...I think Sega Genesis. Um...yeah. It was incredibly stupid. The opening level was [spoiler]saving Clara from falling into the ravine[/spoiler], only it's a hyperkinetic sidescrolling stage with the horse speeding at what seems to be 300 mph.

And I don't know who had the genius idea of just having the player duck or jump to avoid obstacles, but the controls were so bad and the game moved so fast that you continually died, but there was never a game over.

Since there was no game over, a screenshot just came up with Doc and Marty saying, "Oh no, there she goes again," and then the level started over...just an endless loop.

I don't know if it was frustrating, per se, because after a while, the idiotic nature and design of the level became hilarious. I was literally laughing to the point of tears as I kept getting hit off the horse, then seeing "Oh no! There she goes again!" then back on the horse again, only to get hit off a millisecond later. It was so stupid but if you need a laugh, try to find the game, lol.

Please: Zelda games were fun, not frustrating! I think all of you are forgetting the first Street Fighter II (yeah, only with Capcom can you say "the first" before a sequel). Oh man, Sagat and M. Bison were intolerable. Still today, I can't get "Hyper!, Hyper!, Hyper Uppercut!" out of my head. Man, they were like some sort of... of... computer! Always reacting perfectly to whatever you were doing.

Of course, I'm talking about Level 8. Haha, any other difficulty is a joke.

I'm sorry, but you all are INSANE. The best parts of SMS were those subzone areas with nothing but platforms. God, I wish the game had more of them.

I've finished LttP without dying on SNES as well as on GBA. It's not very difficult overall, but certainly moreso than the N64 and GCN incarnations.

I guess I must be insane, then. lol

I've probably been spoiled with really easy platformers over the years, but I found those parts of the game to be overly tough (except for the first couple, which had a good balance between difficulty and fun). But eh...you like them, I don't.

And finishing without dying is definitely easier on the N64/GCN versions of Zelda than on NES/SNES versions. I mean, when I can beat Ocarina of Time for the first time while dying only once, the game is a bit easy, heh.

Boy, that last part made me sound like a hypocrite :p

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinmaru [/i]
[B]EDIT: For some reason, PoisonTongue's comments about the Back to the Future game reminded me of this one level in The Lion King (Just Can't Wait to be King, I believe). Basically, you just went through the level jumping through obstacles. HOWEVER, if Simba touched even one little pixel he was not supposed to touch, he died. Immediately. I swear, it took me fifty curse-filled lives to get through the first part of the level.

Then I died during the second part and had to repeat the entire level again.

Just Can't Wait to be King = most frustrating and unfun level in a video game I've ever played. [/B][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I just have to agree with Shinmaru on this one. While the Lion King was an excellent game, the Just Can't Wait to be King stage made me want to throw my controller through the window to my room. Fortunately, I beat the level and managed to complete the game.. but that doesn't make JCWTBK any less annoying.

Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers was another very frustrating game. There were moments when an enemy would blanket the entire screen with an attack, and if you didn't go to one extremely hard to reach spot you would die instantly. The worst part is that this sort of thing happened in [i]every[/i] level. In terms of enemy placement, this is one of the worst games ever created.

And yes, Jet Force Gemini is one of the few games that I ever owned without successfully completing. There were many points where I didn't understand what I was supposed to do, or eveh where I was supposed to. Call me crazy, but trying to figure out vague mission objectives is never fun.

Final Fantasy X is also pissing me off at the moment, but I haven't been motivated the buiild up my party like I usually do in RPGs. I'm just lazy these days, so I deserve to be slaughtered by the boss of the game.

-Shy[/size]

[color=indigo]You're not alone, Semjaza; I also loved the platform levels in SMS where you don't get to use FLUDD. Of course, a few of them had me swearing rather profusely under my breath, but I still loved them. The one in Ricco Harbor is one of my favorites because you can just run straight through without ever stopping if you're good.

The main thing in SMS that was really, truly frustrating for me was the stupid Blue Coins. With some of them, you pretty much just had to run around the levels randomly until you stumbled upon them. Like this one in Bianco Hills, where you spray the top of a tree--which is in among a bunch of other trees--with water to make a Blue Coin pop out. [i]Who the heck would think to spray trees while looking for Blue Coins?![/i]

As for Zelda: A Link to the Past being frustrating... Well, okay, I won't go there, because I'm modest and don't like to brag. :toothy: But I will say, on the SNES version, it doesn't just count the times you die. If you notice, it says "Games Played" at the end of the credits, not "Lives Used" or something like that. That means that every time you save and quit, it adds one to the Games Played number. That means getting a 000 score in the SNES version of LTP doesn't just mean beating it without dying, it means beating it in one sitting. So if you're just looking at the number and not actually remembering whether you've died or not, you may have done it without dying, but saved and quit a few times. Thankfully, they fixed that on the GBA remake, however, so it only counts deaths.

But you know what was, and still is, frustrating for me? When you're fighting some level 9 CPU characters in Super Smash Bros. Melee and they start doing things that are obviously cheating. Such as not getting KO'd from a side smash attack when you're both on the near edge of the platform and the CPU character (I [i]hate[/i] Luigi for this) has over 150%. I'm sorry, but I've seen this happen many times to human players, and not once has any of them survived something like that. It just shouldn't be possible, and it pisses me off that they let the CPU characters blatently cheat in order to raise the difficulty level.

Let's see...there's got to be more games that I've gotten frustrated with, because I sure as heck remember a lot more times of swearing at the TV... I've experience the same thing that PT talked about, only in Mario Party 2 instead of 4, where your teammate throws the match just so you won't be able to get another star. But that wasn't all that frustrating, because if I remember correctly, I still managed to win, heh. Bleh, I can't seem to remember any more right now. I know there've been more than a few games that I got thoroughly disgusted with, but I can't remember any more.

Oh! Okay, I just remembered another one. In Zelda: Oracle of Ages, that damn Goron dancing! I did the first part fine, but then when you have to come back and do it again to get the Mermaid Key...GAH! I swear, they made the timing for that thing absolutely [i]insane![/i] If you were even a split second off, YOU LOSE! I hate--I mean I really [b]hate[/b]--it when you're required to complete a stupid minigame like that in order to continue with the game. I ended up not playing OOA for several months just because of that one little part.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]As for Zelda: A Link to the Past being frustrating... Well, okay, I won't go there, because I'm modest and don't like to brag. :toothy: But I will say, on the SNES version, it doesn't just count the times you die. If you notice, it says "Games Played" at the end of the credits, not "Lives Used" or something like that. That means that every time you save and quit, it adds one to the Games Played number. That means getting a 000 score in the SNES version of LTP doesn't just mean beating it without dying, it means beating it in one sitting. So if you're just looking at the number and not actually remembering whether you've died or not, you may have done it without dying, but saved and quit a few times. Thankfully, they fixed that on the GBA remake, however, so it only counts deaths.
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

No wonder I had 20+ games played every time I finished Link to the Past :p

As for the Level 9 CPUs on Smash Bros...I've never really had those kinds of problems against them. But they do seem inhumanly fast a lot of the time (sort of like the Perfect and Dark Sims in Perfect Dark - maybe the Level 9 CPUs were made to be overly difficult, heh).

And I totally forgot about the Goron Dancing; definitely my least favorite part of Oracle of Ages, to be sure. I had to that over and over and over again, until I got lucky and actually finished that part of the game. Not as frustrating as Just Can't Wait to Be King, but pretty damn close.

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Teammayhem [/i]
[B]M. Bison... That bastard...

Don't remind me... [/B][/QUOTE]

I'll have to ask you to elaborate a bit. Why was M. Bison so frustrating for you? Not to be so picky, but it helps to elaborate so that people can understand your post. Not everyone is going to have played Street Fighter and understand why M. Bison is frustrating.

Thanks.

My most frustrating moment? Finding out I was underpowered to beat Sephitoth's final form, the one with the pain-in-the-*** attack that can decimate you in one hit. The form before that (with two sides) frustrated me a bit as well, as I tended (in that file anyway) to only train up three people, and all I had on the left side was weaklings...

Second most frustrating was in Chrono Trigger when I was trying to climb the mountain with the wind gusts... and the trees weren't stopping me. ... ... ... ... ...I think I ended up hurting myself so I didn't break my computer (was a rom).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Teammayhem [/i]
[B]I said...
DON'T REMIND ME!

Grrr... [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't be so pithy. He said--ELABORATE! lol

Shinmaru asked you to clarify your comments for a reason. Here on OtakuBoards we like to see members put a certain degree of effort into their posts. Vague comments hardly contribute to a discussion. At least not in a possible way.

I know you were responding playfully, but please try to recognize when a moderator is trying to do their job and comply instead of simply ignoring their requests and going on about just as you were. If you're unable to do so, I suggest you opt to simply not post any further on the subject. It'd be a nice gesture. ^_^

You may also want to read our rules. Doing so would help you avoid any more mishaps. Yes, a good number of your posts have left a lot to be desired, so this would be a good course of action for you. Trust in Charles.

Guest Teammayhem
all right all right....

M. Bison was my friend's favorite character. He was so damn good with him. I made a bet with him to the tune of 200 dollars that he couldn't beat me. And i lost. He rubs it in my face every day. I absolutely hate it.

I'm not as cocky as I was before, thankfully.

Sorry for not elaborating Charles. Please don't kick me off... It's happened to me before.

Guest Zankouken
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ssj3borjan [/i]
[B]surely someone out there has got really hacked off with Fox in SSBM........ his damn Up+A atack in the air, juggled u forever..... good thing i am the King with Ness, teach that damn bot a thing or two when I hit the ground... [/B][/QUOTE]

I was really cheap with Fox in the original smash bros. His up+a attack could easily send an opponent off the screen with only 30%-40%. So what I do is just give them a hit or two and then I send them flying high sky. And if that didn't work, i'd wait till they come down (despite their futile attempts to avoid it) and give them the move I call "double kick up+a you're dead!" in mid air.

What I find fustrating is how they toned it down (to me anyways) in SSBM.

[COLOR=#503F86]Hah, I used to do that. Drove my sister insane. I can't get the knack of it on SSB:M at the moment though- my controller's almost falling to bits through too much playing. The analogue's nowhere near as good as it was.

Geez, I frequently swear at Mario Kart: Double Dash. I was about three metres away from the finish line on Luigi Circuit, Mirror Mode when Wario and Luigi cruise past me to take second place. How can they do that? I was sure I was miles away! It happens all the time- no matter how fast I'm going, they always seem to zoom straight past me in Mirror Mode.

What can get more frustrating is on any mode with any combination of people playing- Bowser Shells. I've been hit five times by the same one before because it's bounced off something. I guess that's more my fault than the GameCube's, but when you go from first place to about 5th on the last lap and are still being hit by this massive thing, it gets a little straining.

The Event Match on SSB:M where you're Luigi and are up against Dr Mario and Peach annoyed the heck out of me too. I only managed to beat it when they both fell off the edge at the same time. I just can't do it any other way. Event Match 51'd have me tearing my hair out as well. That "Failure" voice has never been so infuriating. "It's not a failure! I killed Ganondorf and Giga Bowser twice!" I'd scream. It still didn't let me win >.>[/COLOR]

Lately, I've been really frustrated with Madden 2004. People are blowing me out by seventy points. lol

I can never get a passing game going (I throw about twelve interceptions a game). I've acknowledged the fact that I may just suck, but I'm also wondering if there are codes for this game or something. Especially since I frequent the [b]beginners[/b] room and get beat like this. Either they're using cheats or better players are camping out in there just to challenge rookies.

When I actually [i]do[/i] put myself in position to beat someone, they usually disconnect. Things can't get much more frustrating than this folks. You have my word.

I've also endured by fair share of mild frustration from Soul Calibur 2. Some of the later missions in the quest mode are quite difficult. At least for me, anyway.

I should mention Manhunt as well. The game's difficulty level itself isn't the issue-- I haven't even played it. But, watching my friend play it sure is. What a tedious game. You just do the same thing over and over again. Wait, tap a wall, kill someone with a cinematic, repeat. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solo Tremaine [/i]
[B][COLOR=#503F86]Event Match 51'd have me tearing my hair out as well. That "Failure" voice has never been so infuriating. "It's not a failure! I killed Ganondorf and Giga Bowser twice!" I'd scream. It still didn't let me win >.>[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

I know exactly how you feel, heh. I'd have taken out all of Giga Bowser's lives, and maybe kicked around Mewtwo and Ganondorf, and it would still say "Failure" when I died.

I would often challenge the voice to do better. :p

Sould Calibur 2 has recently been giving me some trouble. There's this one level where you have to face two people. One of them is the same character you choose, only faster and with extra, extra health. The other is just a random character, I think, again, much faster and with more health.

:cross: It's a pain!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solo Tremaine [/i]
[B][COLOR=#503F86]Hah, I used to do that. Drove my sister insane. I can't get the knack of it on SSB:M at the moment though- my controller's almost falling to bits through too much playing. The analogue's nowhere near as good as it was.

Geez, I frequently swear at Mario Kart: Double Dash. I was about three metres away from the finish line on Luigi Circuit, Mirror Mode when Wario and Luigi cruise past me to take second place. How can they do that? I was sure I was miles away! It happens all the time- no matter how fast I'm going, they always seem to zoom straight past me in Mirror Mode.

What can get more frustrating is on any mode with any combination of people playing- Bowser Shells. I've been hit five times by the same one before because it's bounced off something. I guess that's more my fault than the GameCube's, but when you go from first place to about 5th on the last lap and are still being hit by this massive thing, it gets a little straining.

The Event Match on SSB:M where you're Luigi and are up against Dr Mario and Peach annoyed the heck out of me too. I only managed to beat it when they both fell off the edge at the same time. I just can't do it any other way. Event Match 51'd have me tearing my hair out as well. That "Failure" voice has never been so infuriating. "It's not a failure! I killed Ganondorf and Giga Bowser twice!" I'd scream. It still didn't let me win >.>[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

Good God, I can identify with all of this! lol

I didn't have any troubles with Mario Kart outside of 150cc...because that's where the actual challenge comes in. I still say that those bastard computers are a bunch of cheaters with superior targeting, speed and acceleration, heh. Or maybe I just suck. Or it could be a combination of both. Who knows, really?

And a lot of the Event Matches in Melee simply frustrated the hell out of me. I think that Event Match 50 was easily the most frustrating of all - you had to fight five strong characters in a row with only a few lives to do the job. Very, very tough - took me many a curse filled night to finally finish all of the Event Matches, heh.

Wow, this thread is sure bringing back a lot of crappy memories. lol