OtakuBoards

Most Frustrating Gaming Moments...

Erika

[font=Arial][size=2][color=darkred]For me it would have to be fighting that stupid creature outside Bevelle in FFX. I still haven't beaten it although I have tried many times but it casts haste killing me in the process.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=darkred]Another annoying moment is trying to beat the last chapter in Tony Hawks Underground it took nearly 20 attempts but I passed it in the end which was rather satisfying.[/color][/size][/font]

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:mad: I think the most frusterating thing I've ever encountered in a video game was in Final Fantasy X, Fighting Braska's Final Aeon was a pain in the *** that took me like 40 or 50 times to beat then I was really pissed about the final boss, Yu-Yevon. I killed it in to hits. I used the Zombie Attack/Full-Life trick.

Ah I remember that day...a sunny wednesday afternoon, no class, and Starfox on Super Nintendo.
I loved that game, some 3d for a wing shooter was nice at that time.

I was sweating, my hands trembling, because I was about to make it: finish starfox. I remember seing the boss's face after all these hours spent on the game (no save possible *sigh*)....and suddenly: nothing.
A blank screen, the vgs was turned off. I turned my head, dribbling like an undead (yes they do dribble), to see my mom who had unplugged the adapter of the nintendo to hoover the room...

[size=1]I remember mine like it was yesterday... oh wait, it was yesterday but anyways... I was playing LOTR: Return of the King, and my brother and I were fighting Golem at Mt. Doom, and we had one more time to knock him into the lava. And then we kept trying to hit him but he wouldnt fall and we did it like literally 25-20 times before we finally killed him. It was the most frustrating thing ever.[/size]

[QUOTE=Kintaro]Ah I remember that day...a sunny wednesday afternoon, no class, and Starfox on Super Nintendo.
I loved that game, some 3d for a wing shooter was nice at that time.

I was sweating, my hands trembling, because I was about to make it: finish starfox. I remember seing the boss's face after all these hours spent on the game (no save possible *sigh*)....and suddenly: nothing.
A blank screen, the vgs was turned off. I turned my head, dribbling like an undead (yes they do dribble), to see my mom who had unplugged the adapter of the nintendo to hoover the room...[/QUOTE]

not to sound evil, but I would have killed her. When I play games I am like a man possesed, and you dont want to get between me and beating a game. Esp. during the end boss. But to make you feel better I will tell you a funny story.

One of my friends was so into a game once that he forgot to use the bathroom and he pooped his pants while playing. He was around 11 at the time. We are much older now(college) so it is fun to make fun of him now and again for it. See now dont you feel better already?

hhrrmmm I've had some frustrating game moments of course, as have we all I'm sure.

The most frustrating one I can think of off the top of my head was the first time I picked up Final Fantasy Tactics. I started playing it at about 3 am and was overtired, and I didn't realize that before a battle starts you can hit R and L to add other party members to the battle, so I had about 25 tries on the first 'official' battle (when your main character is a squire), outnumbered 7-2.

I think I'll end my post here without writing a book about MegaMan games.....

[font=Arial][size=1][color=gray]My most frustrating gaming moment right now is how I can't get very far in the bonus dungeon of .hack//QUARANTINE.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=gray]You see, just about every single room in the dungeon has about two or three [color=black]Data Bugs[/color] so I have to [color=black]Data Drain[/color] those and they make you [color=black]Data Drain[/color] so much that your Infection Rate gets up into the [color=red]Red[/color] [color=black]Zone[/color], which is very dangerous because once here, you risk getting a [color=black]System Error[/color], which is just a [color=black]Game Over[/color].[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=gray]This makes this dungeon especially harder than most because the very first time I went into it, I got to B5 before they gave me a damn [color=black]System Error[/color]. I swear, I almost threw my controller against the wall and smashed my PS2 to pieces. Then, that weekend, I searched around on the internet for FAQ's on it (there currently are no finished ones, which totally sucks), and I found out that the dungeon is 15 Basement Levels long! 15! That's definitely a little bit much, I mean, the longest I'd ran into before that was 10 and I was really ticked about that because it's very hard to get through dungeons that long, especially if they are giving you [color=black]Data Bugs[/color] in every portal with very few regular monsters to bring down your [color=black]Data Infection[/color].[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=gray]So, after I found that out I was thoroughly ticked but I was determined to get through the dungeon, because I know whats waiting for me at the end. Something very special. No spoilers though![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=gray]But, anyways, I tried going through it a second time and got to B7 before getting a [color=black]System Error[/color]. 7 out of 15 basements levels. I only had 8 more to go, talk about a complete rip. Directly after seeing the [color=black]Game Over[/color] screen I dropped my controller on the floor and turned my PS2 off.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=gray]Now, if you've played the .hack games, you'll know that this dungeon is very hard and probably almost impossible to beat. I still haven't gotten through it, and I don't know when I plan to try again next. Although, I have found out something very valuable, if I just regular [color=black]Data Drain[/color] the monsters, my infection doesn't increase as much. I don't know if this helps much because in this dungeon/area your [color=black]Data Infection[/color] seems to rise about 10 times as fast as it normally would. That might be exaggerating a bit but whenever I first go into the area, my Infection is in the [color=blue]Blue[/color] which means that it's relatively low and then, after about 3 [color=black]Data bugs[/color], it's in the [color=yellow]Yellow[/color][color=black]-[/color][color=red]Red[/color] which is very high and very dangerous.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=gray]So, that's definitely my most frustrating gaming moment.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Hataki Vash][size=1']I remember mine like it was yesterday... oh wait, it was yesterday but anyways... I was playing LOTR: Return of the King, and my brother and I were fighting Golem at Mt. Doom, and we had one more time to knock him into the lava. And then we kept trying to hit him but he wouldnt fall and we did it like literally 25-20 times before we finally killed him. It was the most frustrating thing ever.[/size][/quote]

Oh man, I feel for you! I had to fight Gollum and try to knock him in about three times before he would go in, Not to mention what use your partner is. Not to mention that after Gollum's beaten, You have to put up with a 5 minute long boring cutscene. Not to mention when I was playing the Pelennor Fields and when you have to run across the field to kill each Oliphaunt I always got caught by the warriors.

Even worse was the Beast Rune from Suikoden 2, I killed the leg that resureccts fallen peices of the beast rune only to be killed by it's extremly powerful spell which deals over 500 damage to you (The health at about level 59 for your character is 530 hp). My language was so great when that happened that I caused my dog to start howling.

Oh god, for me this is an easy choice. Mega Man, the first one, for the Nintendo Entertainment System. The whole game was just one big pain in the ***, however I was addicted to it. Almost the equivalent of a crack addict and their crack. I remember planting myself in front of the TV for hours, and I mean [b]hours[/b] at a time. Longest playing time was from literally ten in the morning to ten at night. Why? Some of you may be wondering. Well, besides it's insane difficulty there was no way to possibly save your place. There was no built in batteries, no password system, nothing. Not to mention since it was the very first Mega Man, there was certain very useful maneuvers that were not available as they were yet to be implemented into the series. No charge shot, and no slide. Two moves you realize are taken for granted once you play Mega Man again.

The slide in the sequels made it a bit easier to dodge enemies, and of course the charge shot just did more damage. Without the two is just felt incredibly hard. Anyway, I have yet to beat the game sadly. I gave it up on that record breaking day, after sitting there from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., I had reached Dr.Wily's fortress and came to the big blob creature with the eye inside of it. I died many times against it, and had to keep retrying over and over again. Finally, I saw victory in sight, and with only a few bars of it's health left--the Nintendo [b]FROZE[/b]!!!!!

I flipped, and nearly tore my Nintendo apart to pull the cartage out and toss it across the room. I was a more intense gamer back then with enthusiasm for practically every game I played, sadly that enthusiasm is nearly gone and my play time barely sees an hour nowadays. I just wish I could enjoy games as much I did back then.

Mega Man was a big pain in the ***--but, I still love the game to this day. Looking for a really good challenge then sit yourself down in front of the NES with a copy of Mega Man.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]The only game that has recently received the "Pissed Erica Off" award would be Star Fox Adventures. Nominees include Super Mario Sunshine and Mega Man X6.

Reason? Too obvious. Passing the Krazoa Spirit tests and the notorious time-limit challenges that plague Rare games were enough to induce me with Tourette's syndrome.

In fact, [i]all[/i] Rare games I've played received my negative attention.

Oh, right, then there's Mega Man. *shrugs apologetically at TVE* Sorry, but those games haunt me.

[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=dark_serena][SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]The only game that has recently received the "Pissed Erica Off" award would be Star Fox Adventures. Nominees include Super Mario Sunshine and Mega Man X6.

Reason? Too obvious. Passing the Krazoa Spirit tests and the notorious time-limit challenges that plague Rare games were enough to induce me with Tourette's syndrome.

In fact, [i]all[/i] Rare games I've played received my negative attention.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Star Fox Adventures struck me as more boring, than frustrating, but the game did get a bit iffy at times...too much collecting random, useless crap, which is pretty much the case in most of Rare's games. It used to be fun...when it was called [i]Banjo-Kazooie[/i].

And I'm not sure if I mentioned this yet, but Super Metroid was slightly frustrating for me because the store I rented it from gave me a crappy copy. Every time I made any sort of progress in the game, it would randomly erase and get rid of [i]everything[/i] I had done. I was powerless to stop it ;_;

[color=indigo]Bleh, Star Fox Adventures was a big disappointment for me; looking back, I'm really glad I didn't buy it when it came out. Too much of the game is just collecting random crap that, once you get it...let's you go collect some other random crap. Exciting. And the other part of the gameplay, the combat, sucked to no end. Enemies only attack one at a time, and you've basically got two useful attacks; you're staff, and a projectile shot from your staff, either fire or ice. You rarely need the projectiles, since most enemies can be beaten simply by waiting for the right time to attack with your staff and then mashing on the A button until it dies. Because, of course, enemies can't attack or dodge while being hit, and you can attack quick enough that they can't move. All the while, the other enemies just stand around and watch their friend get beaten, literally, into the ground before another ventures out to try its luck.

Oh, and if you think that was frustrating with Super Metroid, Shin, I have a story to tell about when my brother rented the game. He played and played and played until he had to return it, and he got a good ways. So he decided to renew it for four more days, and he played a bunch more. He got all the way up to the save point [i]just before[/i] Mother Brain...and then he had to leave to return it. And at the place he was renting it from, you could only renew a rental once. He had played through pretty much the whole game, but he never even got to set foot in the Mother Brain chamber. Only years later, when I got Super Metroid as a Christmas present, was he finally able to complete the game. I imagine that had to have been really aggravating.[/color]

I probably would've been disappointed to no end if that happened to me lol. Even when my game erased, I could still go back and play it (and I eventually beat the game, though I was forced to do it in one sitting...I wasn't looking too pretty at the end lol). I imagine he was pretty happy to finally be able to beat the game after years of waiting to beat the crap out of the Mother Brain, hehe. I know I would've been chomping at the bit to serve the Mother Brain a three-course meal consisting of missiles in the mouth ~_^

Super Mario Bros. 3 (on the NES) was actually sort of frustrating...well, not really frustrating, but more devious, I should say. I swear, the first five levels (Grass Land through Sky Land) are just meant to lull you into a false sense of security...then, the game drops you into Ice Land and leaves you to fend for yourself lol. The difficulty really ramps up between Sky Land and Ice Land. Lemmy was no picnic to beat, either (though, he was probably the most fun Koopaling to fight).

Pipe Land was a pretty tough level, too. I remember getting killed at the water portions of the level quite frequently (mind you, I was five when I first played SMB3). It took me forever to finally reach Ludwig, only to have him stomp me into the ground within seconds. I hated Ludwig with a passion, heh.

Dark Land...that place was just an f-ing gauntlet lol. There is so much stuff to go through and so many enemies to beat; the level was insane. It was quite easy to get lost in Bowser's Castle, too, if I remember correctly. However, even with that, my frustrations against SMB3 still could not compare to the unbridled joy that I felt after I finally beat Bowser. I felt like I was on top of the world. The only thing that compares to it is when I beat Bowser in Super Mario World (I actually have that on tape lol).

[color=indigo]Okay, I have another frustrating moment that I just remembered. This is from the original Metroid, the port of which I've been playing on Metroid Zero Mission. In Ridley's lair, there's this one Missile Tank that can only be reached from one room. And the path to that room has this one jump -- [i]one jump[/i] -- that really pissed me off. The problem is that you have to time the jump just perfectly, and if you miss, you fall down this shaft that you can't climb back up. So you have to hike over to the right, up a long shaft, [i]all the way to the other side of Ridley's lair,[/i] down a bit, then back to the right again just to get back to that one jump. All this takes about five minutes, maybe a little more, each time you miss. And I missed three times before I finally made it on my fourth attempt. It's things like that that make me thing the developers just had to have been sitting around one day doing nothing but thinking of ways to piss off the players.[/color]

Upon playing through Final FantasyX-2 I have recognised a frustrating aspect of play that threatens the sanity of all FF players. Random encounters. It is quite ****** when, in an effort to finish a portion of plot you should have done ages ago you encounter enemies that last all of thirty seconds. Even worse is when the rare-but-powerful enemies decide to become more pronounced in an area when you are underpowerd. *shudders* Stupid Deep Haize...

The most evil moment is living through FF8's unfun conversations between Rinoa and Squall, Squall and Seifer, Zell and Seifer etc. They are not very fun to listen to because they rarely have emotion in their dialogue.

I also hate Final Fantasy 8 all together, because of the boring conversations, the dull drawing system and crappy storyline. This would be a frustrating gaming moment so this end part isn't just a negative rant or spam but a whole bitching system all together.

[size=1][quote name='Shy]Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers was another very frustrating game. There were moments when an enemy would blanket the entire screen with an attack, and if you didn't go to one extremely hard to reach spot you would die instantly. The worst part is that this sort of thing happened in [i]every [/i']level. In terms of enemy placement, this is one of the worst games ever created.[/quote][/size]
[size=1][color=#800000]I absolutely [i]loved [/i]to play Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers with my sister. In particular, I loved the ability to throw boxes at her *grins* [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#800000]But it [b]was[/b] rather annoying how sensitive it was, one tiny "off" movement would send you straight back to square one. [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#800000]The "end bosses" were numbingly lame to beat, compared to how tricksy it was to [b]get[/b] to them, heh.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#800000]Another game I enjoyed playing with my younger sister was [b]Bomberman[/b]. The moment I realised that you could pick up your opponent, toss them across the screen and hear the little dude shout "[i]Go Away ![/i] " made all the times I lost bearable, mwuahahaha.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#800000].... I'm probably the person that makes games annoying, rather than get annoyed at the games ^_^;;[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#800000]At least when it comes to games where you play [b]with[/b] someone, because I'm sure I've lost my sanity [i]at least[/i] [i]once[/i] in every Final Fantasy game released on PlayStation *whistles*[/color][/size]

[size=1][QUOTE=Shy]Final Fantasy X is also pissing me off at the moment, but I haven't been motivated the buiild up my party like I usually do in RPGs. I'm just lazy these days, so I deserve to be slaughtered by the boss of the game.[/size]

[size=1]-Shy[/QUOTE][/size]
[size=1][color=#800000]I still haven't been able to figure out how I beat [spoiler]Tidus' dad[/spoiler] in one fail swoop, the first time I played it. I tried a couple of weeks/months later and failed miserably, hehe. [/color][/size]

[quote name='Mimmi][size=1][color=#800000]Another game I enjoyed playing with my younger sister was [b]Bomberman[/b]. The moment I realised that you could pick up your opponent, toss them across the screen and hear the little dude shout "[i]Go Away ![/i] " made all the times I lost bearable, mwuahahaha.[/color'][/size][/quote]

Well, I never had the opportunity to play the original Bomberman on the NES, but I didn't rent Super Bomberman quite a bit (I didn't get as much out of it as I could have, though, because I only had two controllers for the SNES - still, the multiplayer was quite fun). The one-player mode was frustrating, at times. Especially if you accidently box yourself into a corner with bombs. What's worse is when you do this with the detonator bombs, which means that you basically have to kill yourself. Nothing is worse than that, let me tell you.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Well right now I'm fighting these two cave wurms in Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) and that's pretty frustrating. Well not frustrating enough to quit playing (I'm addicted...) but it's damn hard. It's the most recent "frustrating" moment which I'm willing to get past in a game. If you want bullcrap frustrating, try F-Zero GX on hard. That's frustrating.

Oh, and Starfox Adventures was bad for a number of reasons, and that's why I didn't finish it yet (and I bought it when it was released). I hate Fox himself so I don't even care if he dies, the combat is blah, all the puzzles have been done to death, and the entire game feels "cramped." Basically there isn't a bit of innovation in the entire thing. I suppose the game is so boring it can be considered frustrating. Yeah. I can say I'm frustrated by the total lack of creative effort put into the game.

[color=indigo]Heh, I actually didn't find F-Zero GX to be very frustrating. Expert Class was only moderately difficult, and even Master Class wasn't exactly what I'd call frustratingly difficult. It never really took me more than three tries to get first place in the cups on Master Class. You just have to start on the Novice Class and work your way up to Expert in order to have enough practice and be familiar enough with the tracks. F-Zero GX really isn't any harder than F-Zero: Maximum Velocity on the GBA, and I never heard anything about that game being overly difficult like I did with F-Zero GX.

A few of the later Story Mode levels were a bit frustrating, though. Like on the last one, there's this really narrow, tight turn that's sloped just right so that you can't really see ahead of your machine at all, so you have to memorize exactly how far and how long to drift turn -- through trial and error -- or else you'll fall off the track. Just getting so I could do that consistantly enough to make it through three laps was the hardest and most frustrating part of the game for me. Ironically, just staying on the track was harder than actually beating my opponent. :rolleyes:[/color]

I am very frustrated in the plight of trying to Retire a players jersey on NBA Live 2004 it won't let me why and how am I supposed to do it.

One very frustrating event that keeps happening to me is on the game Dragonball Z Budaki I think its spelled. I have tried to beat him with Goten( gotta work on him and trunks more), Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta none worked.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
I was most frustrated by a part in Xenosaga. There was this retarded boss that would to some "tremor" move and kill my entire party. He'd pick a "round type" (in Xenosaga each battle round gives you different bonuses for that round's duration) to do "tremor" in for the rest of the match, and he had a bad habit of picking "increased criticals" for a round type. Anyway I had to fight him like 6 or 7 times before he decided to use "tremor" under other, less lethal conditions. Overall that game was frustrating. Not because it's hard (I've played MUCH harder games), but because any "difficulty" in it was the game "cheating" against you. It's not like I had to get "good" at Xenosaga battles. But I guess that's the way all turn-based RPGs are. The only way to make a fight hard is to give the enemy lots of HP and make him deal tons of damage. Beyond that developers are lazy at forcing you into trying a real strategy. Only in Golden Sun: the Lost Age for GBA did I actually use real strategy to win. And Pokemon, I guess (in the team creation and move setup, anyhow).

I think the most annoying thing ever is when your older brother is messing with his stereo equipment and just "happens" to unplug the Xbox. When that occurs I wig out :wigout: It makes me so angry because I hardly ever save for some reason so I always get set back 4 hours. That is just the nastiest thing that can ever happen. :flaming:

[b][size=1]
The most frustrating moments are:
(not in order of annoance)
1: Gargoyles for Sega Genesis. I never got past the first level. Granted, I was 8 and had a very short attention span.

2: Multiplayer games in which your opponent knows all of the cheats and won't tell you any. Particularly on "007: Goldeneye" on N64. I hate that a**hole. (grumble, grumble)

3: Cheat codes that are impossible to enter. Or, fake cheat codes that you think are real but just entering wrong. Wasting a good 10-20 minutes for nothing.

4: Atari's "Moon Patrol". But, that was only because I had a broken controller.

5: Games with slow controls which require fast reflexes. There are many of them out there.

There's more, but I can't think of them right now.[/color][/b][/size]

[color=darkblue][font=trebuchet ms]I can't think of my single most frustrating gaming moment, so I'll just mention some recent ones, and a few that I happen to remember:

Chapter 9 of Ninja Gaiden would be my most recent frustration while battling it up with a gaming controller. Ninja Gaiden for the XBOX isn't exactly great for its arrow-throwing skills, or even staying still, for that matter. In the case of this particular chapter, all the heavy obstacles (mainly sub-bosses) required the use of two types of arrows, with the very occasional windmill shuriken to make things [i]a little[/i] easier. The fact that these events were virtually next to each other, it bolted the old school feel of playing an almost-unfair, hard action game. It was frustrating, but somewhat satisfying when I finally got through it. Now I'm getting pummeled like an ant by two giant worms. Nice...

Another moment I recall was playing Space Invaders in a video game message boards I mod and normally visit. The record to beat at the time was 150,000+ points, and I was up to 100,000... my fingers were tired, and I had been playing for quite a while, and suddenly my connection was cut off. When it got back up, about fifteen minutes later, the game resumed [i]from the beginning[/i]. I thought about calling Adelphia (my ISP) and letting them know what I thought of their "Power Link," but their customer service is usually so very nice and collaborative, that I ended up brushing off the idea. In the end, I surpassed the score with 200,000+ points, and still hold it (Though, not many people are trying to break it - Most people leave Tetris and Space Invaders alone for newer games like Curveball and Snake).

Far less meaningful, but still frustrating on a personal level, was my first half an hour with Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GCN). Since I'm one of those "Mess with this in the original version and I'll kill you" MGS fans, I was getting gradually disappointed at little changes made to the voice acting and cut scenes, and I was hoping that a "remake" of the "Duel" boss theme would surely cheer me up. I was at the edge of my, um, floor when the cut scene of Snake's first encounter with Ocelot was about to end; and when I was ready for some "old school" fight music and boss battling, I was struck hard when I heard the passive theme that was whispering through my speakers. I lost concentration of the fight, and rammed Snake against the C4 wiring for a stupid death. Luckily, I realized later that each boss theme changed, so it wasn't all that bad.

Backtrack to the 8-bit years, poke your head into my room, and you'll see little Cyke throwing his crippling NES controller in frustration and anger. If you look at the small Panasonic TV screen I was facing, you'd see a turtle-like, green creature smashing away at countless enemies. If you stayed hidden longer, you could see that this creature had brothers, and that they are united by very evil parents who named their offspring after different symptoms from the skin condition, acne. I admit, I've never been able to beat Battletoads, and I've stopped trying for the past few years. It's frustratingly hard, and it's the closest thing to a mission impossible that I've ever faced in a video game.[/color][/font]