OtakuBoards

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

ThePikasElbow

No doubt that Zelda is on the tip of everybody's tongues. We are most likely all getting it, and it is the biggest GCN game to launch this year. It has been criticized and analyzed more than any other Zelda. I don't have any numbers on this, but look at when it first debuted. Everyone was skeptical. When we saw some actual footage of it, everyone couldn't wait. Many are still on the fence about the game, believe it or not.

All Zeldas are great, that's a proven fact, but could Wind Waker be the best Zelda? Could it top OoT or LttP?

I'm thinking that it could, at least for me. I've played some of it at Best Buy and I loved it. The graphical style is so clean and stylish. Fighting is also tons of fun, and it doesn't seem repetitive. I wish I could play some more, but I'll just have to wait. People who have imported the game have loved it, and it got a perfect score from Famitsu. There hasn't been a single bad mark about the game.

So, do you think that Wind Waker could be the best Zelda ever? Hell, I'm willing to hope that it's the best game ever, but I don't want to get my hopes that high up.

[edit] I know theres a Zelda board but this is a Nintendo board after all and this relates to Nintendo. Please don't move it.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone can actually answer that question, even though most Zelda sequels have topped their predecessors and all. But I would like to see it be realy great, cuz I, like you and everyone else, will probably be getting this game. Saying its the best game ever could be saying that your hopes are really high. I just want it to be a quality title like all the other Zelda, just a step above those tho.
(theres a Zelda board)

[color=indigo]Dude...the whole topic is about a Zelda game, and whether it could be the best in the series. How does that have to do with anything besides Zelda? Sure, it has to do with Nintendo, since Zelda is made by Nintendo, but nothing else. And we have a Zelda forum for the specific purpose of having threads about Zelda and nothing else in it. And that's exactly what this thread is. *moves thread*

The Wind Waker could end up being the best Zelda game in the series so far for me (it's all just a matter of personal opinion in the end), but I doubt it. Why? Overall, I like the top-down view of most of the 2D Zelda games better than the 3D games on the N64. Sure, Ocarina of Time is a great game, but it's still only #5 out of 9 on my list of favorite Zelda games.

I expect The Wind Waker to top Ocarina of Time, but I just can't see it beating A Link to the Past / Four Swords, my current favorite. The original A Link to the Past was my favorite game ever for a long time, and was finally only topped with a remake of A Link to the Past, with another multi-player game added. I'm thinking The Wind Waker will probably come in #3 or #4 on my favorites list.[/color]

I think that Wind Waker very well could be the best Zelda in the series. It brings the series to a whole new graphical style which aparently really fits very well together with everything in the game. In addition, the GC Legend of Zelda introduces many new techniques that will, while keeping the Zelda feel, bring about a big change for the series that won't make it [i]too[/i] much like it's predecessors. For example, the ability to pick up enemy weapons will create a lot of replay value, and the ocean will open a whole new batch of possibitlites in the game.

I really see a lot coming from this title, making it unlike any Zelda before it, which may or may not be a good thing. At this point in time, the changes look fantastic, but to make the ultimate decision, we'll all have to wait until the game is released. I have reserved my copy, for sure, hoping that this will be the best Zelda. ;) Can't say that I've ever really gotten into a Zelda title a [b]lot[/b], even though I own Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past, and Ocarana of Time, but I'm hoping that this will be the title that brings me over. :toothy:

I think I'm about to make the best argument yet for this game.

I'm going to break down and buy myself a Gamecube ASAP, if only for having "WindWaker".

*is deafened by Des' screams of happiness*
(I'll pick up Animal Crossing while I am at it, then. ;))

Of course, that was the reason why we bought our SNES, Gameboy, [i]and[/i] our N64. Zelda alone. The other games came along afterwards, but [i]Zelda[/i]. Truly a great series.

And truly the best argument for this new incarnation.

[color=teal]There is no Zelda game existing, in planning, or even in the future that will EVER, I mean EVER, top LttP. The storyline, the depth, the subtle jokes, names, and originality.....Hell, even the graphics for the SNES were impressive. They even completely eliminated the need for a side view, allotting you all of the treasures from chests, banning the "go down a staircase into a side-view room, climb a ladder, and pick up the damned bow" thing. I even like the remake, how you can learn new techniques, master new items, everything. That's it.[/color]

Guest The Bouncer
this is probaly gonna be the besst Zelda game . it has a good storyline( from what i heard) and the fighting is the best in all of the Previous Zelda game( played a demo at target) and the grraphics are clean and smooth although they are a bit cartoonish . And i love the way young link sound when he swings his sword.

I bet it will. I'm sure it has gone off the charts with the reserves. I believe, that it will be. The most patient man in the Nintendo business, Shigerea Miyamoto. He spent two years on this game, perfecting so that little Link shined.

One, or a half of the year they spent animating. Making his eyes get level. Whereas some people will like the short legged, bif hedded Link, whereas other might not. But I like the animating that they did. Somewhat it's like Wild Arms 3.

Since I don't play much Zelda gmaes, I will say when I play this, it'll have to be the best, and if not, heck I know that Shigerea Miyamoto succeded in Master Quest. This man is an amazing person. If this game doesn't shine, then I just won't believe myself. because I know how good Miyamoto is.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Spikey [/i]
[B]The most patient man in the Nintendo business, Shigerea Miyamoto. He spent two years on this game, perfecting so that little Link shined.[/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, this is Mr. Aonuma's second Zelda project (first one being Majora's Mask). Miyamoto was only Producer for this game, whereas Aonuma called the shots.

Not that it matters. This guy is like a younger Miyamoto.

In terms of Zelda games, I am preferring Aonuma because he is the one responsible for most of the big changes. Miyamoto is very integral I'd say, mostly because he knows what works and doesn't with all his experience after all these years.

Aonuma was the big reason Majora is how it is (and it's wonderful, despite the resetting time annoyances) and he is the one responsible for this cel shading change. I'm glad he's around.

After playing what I've played (I finally got to play all three demos of the game on a working controller... yay), it has a good shot at being the best Zelda so far.

Seeing the game in video and pictures is one thing. I already liked the style. Playing it is like a totally different experience. It's so cartoony, but so full of life... moreso than any other realistic game I can think of.

The animation is simply incredible... Seeing those moblin-type-guys run around as you're trying to sneak by is a good example. They have this goofy run animation, and things on them just flow so smoothly. They carry these weapons with a little orange fabric (or something?) on them that are animated better than some entire enemies in some games.

The gameplay itself was the standard fair... but it seemed like you were thrown into all of it a lot faster than in OoT, so I was happy.

I'm really looking forward to it, and it is shaping up to be my favorite possibly... But you never know. As of right know, Majora owns that title.

I have to admit to Des's words. Its of course a Zelda game, then it has to be good! My friend and I have watched the little spiffy video thing that comes with the Master quest like a million times, each time we find something new to oooohhh and ahhhh at. But of course not alll games were good, mostly sequels like MM Or the Second one after the first (Cant remember name) But like so many others I have played it at Walmart... The graphics are the bomb, cartoon style and all people have different facial expressions not just one over and over again. I too am going to buy myself a gamecube specially for this game.

• 2 weeks later...
[color=indigo]Whee, I got into the first dungeon today! (Didn't have time to finish it, though). I have to say, they've done a really good job on the game, but so far, I still like A Link to the Past/Four Swords more. I don't know if it's just because I'm only in the first dungeon--and I'm hoping this is the case--but all the enemies seem really easy. I think that, so far, is the biggest thing I don't like about TWW. (Though even that isn't really a big deal).[/color]

[color=teal]The game is simply beautiful. The boss battles look stunning, and the game itself is massive. There are sidequests that aren't too tedious or annoying, and they're a great break from the actual quest. As Zelda players know, there are minigames that are so fun, and never seem to disappoint. It could be possibly the best Zelda game ever, on par with A Link to the Past.[/color]

[color=#808080]I don't know if this will be the best Zelda ever. But, really...when people talk about this being a totally new graphic style, I kind of disagree.

I really see this game as a kind of "Link to the Past in 3D". Yes, the actual style is different. But the cel-shaded nature gives it that lighthearted cartoony look that LttP had. It's very emotive and expressive.

I also have to agree that I'm very glad about Aonuma's involvement with this series. Aonuma has been overlooked in the past; his involvement with Nintendo has been there for years. He also played a role in Ocarina of Time, as well as being the primary creative brain behind Majora's Mask (which is one of my all-time favourite video games).

Miyamoto is still an important creative force though; he is primarily responsible for The Wind Waker's visual style. This is something that he really wanted to focus on. But Aonuma has made that style work. And he's built a very solid game.

I think that the one thing that disappoints me with new Zelda games is the length. A Link to the Past has SO many dungeons. Three pendant dungeons and [i]seven[/i] crystal dungeons. That's just insane and it doesn't even take into account the many sidequests.

Ocarina of Time, to me, felt much much smaller than LttP. And Majora's Mask was smaller again than OoT in terms of dungeons (though sidequests made up for lack of dungeons, but I'm not a huge sidequest fan generally).

The knowledge that The Wind Waker is "missing" a couple of dungeons worries me. And it's disappointing. I'm sure I'll really enjoy the game though and I'm very much looking forward to playing it some more -- especially on my new sound system. *drool*[/color]

*thwaps James and Sem* You people and your sound systems. >.> I want one too...

Heh, anyways, like I had said in the Zelda: Gamecube thread, this game reminded me of [i]Past[/i] when I first played it. I was also worried about the length. (Quite frankly, I LOVED having that many dungeons in [i]Past[/i]--that's why I was turned off from [i]Mask[/i].)

A short and sweet review from me is that, while [i]Waker[/i] presents nothing new in the gameplay aspect (it's leaning heavily toward platform for me right now, which is kinda startling), it does persue something I feel the Zelda series never touched much on until now: characterization.

That's why we are enjoying the dramatic faces and lighting effects and so on. I know that's why [i]I[/i] am, anyway. The sound effects for the captioning, the facial expressions. Someone said that this game isn't afraid to make fun of itself. True, but in a deeper sense, it's not making fun of itself--it's being more "true to life" (as true to life as a fantasy game can get ;)). Like Link's reaction to his new set of clothes. Or Tetra's snideness. Or the way the King of Red Lions will yawn while he waits around for you. Or...and I could go on.

This characterization was touched on in [i]Ocarina[/i] and [i]Mask[/i], and I'm pleased to see it in a much stronger form here. (Be honest--before this game, when was the last time you laughed at loud during one of the Zelda series?)

As for best game? Well...there still seems to be something missing from the game in general (I don't know what), but I have yet to finish to game, so I'll wait till then to say.

[color=green]I can't say that its the best ever, but as far as I can tell its a wonderful game. The graphics are as serious as Oot, but they sure are cute, and very emotionaly expressive! So far I'm at the Forbidden Forest, but the gamecube keeps messing up, so its hard to go anywhere.-- Ahh yes...and it'll cost 75 bucks to get it fixed...how nice.-- Oh well, maybe I can just play through it.Oo Anyway so far this game, as I said before, is amazing and wonderful, but I can't say yet if its the best Zelda game ever. Plus I've only played um...LttP..Oot..MM..OoA...OoS..LA..FS..and this one. Haven't played the first two yet.-- Meh..can't say they'd be very good though, but who knows?Oo Anyway thats all from me for now, thankyou.[/color]

I have to agree, Zelda: The Wind Waker is an excellent piece of gaming; however, I'm not sure if it rivals OoT or Link to the Past. I have to play through more of it to have a final conclusion, but OoT will probably still remain my favorite. It holds a special place in my heart for some reason.

[color=009966]I don't know....I'm kinda iffy about whether it will beat OoT. That game is awesome! I've only gotten a little far on WindWaker, so I can't say something like "No way! OoT is better!". For all I know, in the end, WindWaker might be 10 times better than I originally thought it was. [/color]

[color=indigo]Okay, I played pretty much all day today, and just got into the Earth Temple. And, so far, I think I like TWW more than OOT. Having played through OOT Master Quest (which I like more than the original) just before starting TWW, I can compare the two pretty well, and OOT just doesn't grip and hold me the same way TWW does. With OOT, I could never just sit and play for hours and hours and hours. I mean, I just couldn't--I'd get tired of playing, and have to take a break. With TWW, I actually wanted to keep going instead of turning it off, after playing literally all day, but I knew I had other stuff I needed to do. The only other Zelda games to be able to hold me for that long have been A Link to the Past/Four Swords, the original LTP, and Link's Awakening. So, I think I've found a new fourth place on my list of favorite Zelda games. :)[/color]

[color=#808080]Ginny brings up an excellent and important point; characterization.

This is something that Shigeru Miyamoto really wanted to focus on. And it's so true when you see Wind Waker.

I'm playing through Majora's Mask right now...and I can already tell that TWW has SO much more character than MM. The comparison is just so stark. TWW makes you feel like you're in a living world with characters that have thoughts and feelings. MM really doesn't have that -- it relies on exaggerated body animations almost entirely to get the point across. And that's okay -- it does give the game personality. But the subtle facial changes in TWW are really gorgeous and often very accurate. ^_^[/color]

I feel Miyamoto is getting way to much credit for this game. Sure, he was involved, but if you read the interviews... Most of the ideas were his own team coming up to him and asking if they could to this or that. The cel shading wasn't even his idea, and he wasn't even sure of it at first. It was Aonuma's. Aonuma also seemed to be the one who came up with the idea of Links basically being created to fight evil when it appears, which is obviously used in this game from the start.

I don't think it's just some coincidence that there is better characterization in the two games Aonuma wrote for and is directing. He is the one who should be getting the credit in my opinion.

[color=#808080]I don't see how Aonuma isn't getting the credit. I think he's getting credit where credit is due.

Miyamoto was principally responsible for the direction that The Wind Waker took, in terms of the complete change of focus to a more "expressive" game. This was directly the result of Shigeru Miyamoto's involvement. But, as he says himself, he only built the table -- the objects on the table were placed there by designers within the team, including Aonuma. And those objects include specifics like cel-shading and Link's eyes.

However, I'll tell you two people who doesn't get [i]nearly[/i] enough credit within Nintendo; Takashi Tezuka and Yoshiaki Koizumi.

Koizumi was primarily responsible for just about every major element in Super Mario Sunshine -- including the whole FLUDD thing. A lot of people credited Miyamoto with that, which is understandable but inaccurate.[/color]

Who do I blame for the miserable camera angle that keeps turning me away from the Mario series constantly? >.<

Anyways, I can see Aonuma's influnce in [i]Waker[/i]; there are definitely some things that carried over from [i]Mask[/i]...I can't really say what, but that is the sense I am getting.

Not only is [i]The Wind Waker[/i] taking pains with characterization, but, as I pointed out before, it's being "true to life", almost to the point of being anticlimatical. I cite the [spoiler]Queen Fairy[/spoiler] incident. I won't explain, but those of you who have seen her know what I mean.

I had my first frustrating moment in a dungeon last night. Make that my first frustrating half hour. I dunno whether to scream or cheer. [i]The Wind Waker[/i] has seem a little...weak....on some of the puzzles, but [spoiler]the Mirror room in the Earth Temple[/spoiler] might have been pushing a little too hard to be frustrating.

The other game influencing all this, like I said in my first post after getting [i]Waker[/i], is [i]Past[/i]. Hades, [i]Past[/i] is closer to [i]Waker[/i] than [i]Mask[/i], by a long shot. The whole searching for certain items to get into certain places bit. That's all [i]Past[/i] right there (Ice Rod, anyone?).

Enough babblering from me already. I'm going to go play some more.