OtakuBoards

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

ThePikasElbow

[color=indigo]If you have the Master Sword, fighting Orca is so easy. I got up to 555 without getting hit once, and then I just sat there and let him hit me three times. :p

The trick to not getting hit, though, is to not do combos. Just target him and tap the B button about every second (maybe a little faster), so that you'll just keep doing normal, vertical swings instead of doing a combo. If you're hitting him with the tip of your sword like this, he can't reach you with his spear. You actually have a longer reach than him!

And when he starts to attack, your sword will bounce back off his spear. When this happens (or if you see him get ready to attack), wait for him to finish his attack before swinging your sword again or you risk getting hit. And to be ever more safe, raise your shield and take a step away from him. Usually his spear won't even touch you, but sometimes you end up being a little closer, so you should still raise your shield just in case.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Krillen [/i]
[B]It angered me even more because my Prima strat. guide said to get the piece of heart you hit him 300 times, so I did and I got an orange ruppee instead. I was so mad! [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]This is another reason why I only buy Nintendo Power player's guides, for games made by Nintendo. The info in the NP ones is very, [i]very[/i] rarely incorrect.[/color]

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beat it with 14 hearts. I didn't bother with the figures because i didn't have the deluxe pictograph. I only had three bottles, and maybe half of the treasure maps. At least i had the map full! I think the boss could've been easier, though. It was dissapointing.

Yes, Prima is evil. :mad: :flaming:

I also did the thing Des talked about, though, sometimes, I got too carried away, kept whacking, and Orca tossed me pretty badly. So, at the most, do four hits, then block. [i]And make sure you are L-targeting the whole time.[/i] It's a pain to keep pressing that button, but this way, his spear bounces off your shield (if I remember correctly), and again, no hurt.

[color=indigo]I now only need seven Heart Container Pieces before I go and beat the game. I'm getting there slowly but surely. :cross:

And about the Orca fight, if you only do four hits and then back off, it's going to take a looooong time to get to 500. I just keep swinging until my sword bounces off his spear, as he's getting ready to attack, and then I stop swinging and raise my shield. If you only tap the button about once per second, to just keep doing normal swings, that should give you plenty of time to react to your sword bouncing off. Unless you just have really slow reflexes, all it takes is being able to concentrate on what you're doing. :p

I would sometimes get in around ten hits before he'd attack, and other times I'd get in only one or two. Personally, I think it's pretty much random how long he sits there in between attacks, up to a certain limit. Just going non-stop until my sword bounced, though, I got up to 500 in a few minutes. I can't imagine how long it would've taken if I only went for four hits in between each attack. :twitch:[/color]

Out of curiosity, are you L-Targeting when you fight him? (This has nothing to do with the number of hits, I'm just wondering. :)) I need to know if that was part of the reason I kept getting whacked, or if it's just my impatient nature.

[color=indigo]Yes, I L-Target him for the whole fight. That's the only way to do verticle swings, which seem a little quicker than stabs but with more reach than horizontal swings, in addition to being able to backstep while raising your shield at the same time.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
so far ive got half way through the earth temple when i have that korok with me and its really annoying, them bloody hands keep getting me and that korok :flaming:

well ill get furthur tonight

• 4 weeks later...
Personally I think it is a tie between OoT and MM. But that is ony because I haven't played WW.I am so broke.*sigh*It will probaly be wicked cool because I have played Zelda since I was 2 and I have every other game.
Open mouth.Insert foot.-Jet Black

[size=1][color=CC0000]It's true, you can't really compare Zelda games, each has its unique little quirk. But you can say whether you like one game than another. And, I am loving Wind Waker soo much right now. Everything about it is so innovative, however I did think that [spoiler]finding all of the Triforce peices[/spoiler] was a bit tedious. At least that part gave me a nice break in the game so I could go off and do sidequests, find heart containers, complete seachart, etc. Great game n_n[/size][/color]

[color=indigo]Has anyone else noticed that quite a few of the themes in The Wind Waker are actually highly changed remixes of themes from older Zelda games? I've noticed quite a few, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed more. So far I've found these:

Fairy Theme - This one's obvious, heh
Outset Island - OOT Kokiri Forest
Aryll's Theme - LTP/OOT Zelda's Theme
House - OOT House (Obvious)
Beedle's Shop - OOT Shop (Again, obvious)
Windfall Island - LTP/OOT Kakariko Village
Dragon Roost Cavern - OOT Dodongo's Cavern
Forest Haven - OOT Kokiri Forest
Inside Forest Haven - OOT Kokiri Forest
Getting the Master Sword - OOT Getting the Master Sword
Hyrule Castle - LTP Hyrule Castle
Phantom Ganon - OOT Ganondorf Battle
Ganondorf's Theme - LTP/OOT Ganon(dorf)'s Theme
The King's Theme - LTP Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Awakening - LTP Opening Theme
Zelda's Theme - LTP/OOT Zelda's Theme (And again, really obvious)
Ballad of Gales - OOT One of the warping songs.
Jalhalla - OOT/MM Kaepora Gaebora's Theme (Slightly)
Hero of the Wind - LOZ Opening Theme
Ganon's Tower - LTP/OOT Ganon(dorf)'s Theme

So, anyone else have any to add to my list?[/color]

[size=1][color=CC0000]I think that, rather than Kokiri Forest, Forest Haven sounds more like the Deku Palace from MM. Maybe it's a mix of both? *shrug*

I've also noticed that certain places are very similar, or slightly at least. Especially Windfall Island, it's like a mini-Clock Town.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Daz [/i]
[B]so far ive got half way through the earth temple when i have that korok with me and its really annoying, them bloody hands keep getting me and that korok :flaming:
[/B][/QUOTE]
That is the wind temple...

I am on the EARTH temple , halfway through , I just opened the door with the gas in front of it and you half to shine light in both eyes...

• 2 weeks later...
Completed it today with 15 hearts. Words cannot describe the happiness that I'm feeling, while at the same time, the sadness knowing it's over. Ah well, at least I've got the new slot. I'll try and get all the pieces of heart and do all those other sub-quests this time.

Though I am a little disappointed at how easy Ganondorf was. I was expecting a spectacular swordfight that required ultra-fast reactions and lots of skill, but it was really just shielding, parrying and attacking while he was stunned. >_> Ah well. Still the best game I've ever played.

• 3 weeks later...
The sequel to both A Link to the PAst, and Link's Awakening?

[spoiler]At the end of ALttP, you see the master sword being sealed away, and link getting the Triforce of courage. You eventually find out that this happened in WW. The King of REd Lions says that "he was separated from the elements that made him a hero", like what happened in Link's Awakening.[/spoiler] So, is it?

[color=indigo]TWW is a confirmed sequal to OOT, but not to anything else. All the stuff that mentions a previous hero in TWW is refering to OOT, not LTP.

Personally, I think LTP (A Link to the Past) is set after TWW.[/color]

Well, I wouldn't call Windwaker a sequel to OoT.. It just takes place after Oot and stuff in it is mentioned.. Kinda like .hack//LIMINALITY to .hack//SIGN. They are both the same franchise and have links between them, but one is not a sequel to the other.

But, ya know, I'm probably WAY WAY WAY off because I don't read up on Windwaker..

[color=indigo]Well, technically, all of the games are sequals to one another seeing as they all take place in the same world or in different worlds connected to that world. (As in the case of Majora's Mask and the Oracle games, but it's still happening to characters from the original world). A game doesn't have to have the same characters and everything to be a sequal, they just have to be similar. I mean, look at the Final Fantasy series; all of those are sequals, but the only [i]direct[/i] sequal is FFX-2 because it has a very clear connection to FFX.

And that's what we're discussing here--direct sequals; ones that have a clear connection to another game in the series. TWW is a direct sequal to OOT, because in TWW it's made very clear that TWW is set after OOT. TWW mentions events in OOT, and tells what happens after the events of OOT, which connect to the events in TWW.

Gah, too many abbreviations. Hope that's not too confusing. :cross:[/color]