OtakuBoards

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

ThePikasElbow

A lot of people believe that OoT came first, with MM following afterwards. That, itself, is obvious. (Remember the stain glass room where you meet the King of Red Lions in WW? Recognize some of those images?)

The LttP-L'sA-Oracles games are also connected in their own line. The first two Zelda games are said to fit in there somewhere (because LttP was considered a prequel to the Legend of Zelda, I read somewhere), but I believe the NES games are a set of their own.

I once said this somewhere in this forum--each Nintendo system has their own Zelda set, which usually doesn't relate to the others (though SNES and Gameboy seem to be connected).

WW is set after MM, because the OoT/MM part was a legend by the time of WW.

*is getting lost in all the abrev. and stops* :cross:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that IS made clear, is that Ocarina of Time, is where it all began, before descendants took the flame of the Master Sword. Wind Waker just takes place 100 years after Ocarina of Time, but it's actually a relevant confirmation that it's a sequel to Ocarina of Time, since the information between the two games links directly back and forth, connecting it in every way. (I've played and beat Wind Waker, it connects...completely.)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lunarlani [/i]
[B]TTW can't be a sequel since Link does look pretty small. It may be a prequel, like Star Wars. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Link's age in TWW has nothing to do with whether or not TWW is a sequal to OOT. The Link in TWW isn't the same one as in OOT.

Here are the confirmed links between the games.

Ocarina of Time - Majora's Mask - The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda - Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Oracle of Seasons - Oracle of Ages

Those are the only links between the games where Nintendo has actually said that the games are direct sequals. (Besides them saying A Link to the Past is set before the first two, anyway, but that doesn't tell you [i]when[/i] before them). A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening aren't confirmed, but it's pretty obvious, what with Agahnim's Shadow and Ganon's Shadow being part of the end boss. None of the other games besides LTP feature Agahnim, and none of the others feature a Ganon fight like that.

As for Link's Awakening and the Oracle games being connected, you may have something there, Ginny. I never thought of that before, but it sounds very likely. I'll have to think about that some more....[/color]

The reason I think that is because the story of Link's Awakening was that he was taking a restful trip after his adventures from Link to the Past. (Restful, HAH! He got involved in an island's troubles!)

Now, interestingly enough (if fuzzy memory serves--my Oracle games have been missing for some time now ;_;.), I think Link is actually riding Epona in the beginning sequence of the Oracle games--BUT he resembles the LttP/L'sA far more closely, what with the hair color and form. Again, if memory serves (though it tends not to), the Oracle games spoke of Link returning to Hyrule at the bidding of the Triforce (remember, he got the Triforce in its entirity at the end of LttP). So, there's my theory to connect those few games.

Plus, just look at the Link art in the manuals for each of those games and compare it--the resemblance is unmistakable. |_^

*flops over from theorizing*

well,there is more than just one Link...the Link in WW, after all, is a relative of the Link from 100 years past...after all, Link is not over 100 years old in WW...the Link of the past(not LttP;the Link before WW's Link) was the Link in OOT...if you look, the islands even resemble those areas in the OOT game...Goron City-Dragon Roost Island...Hyrule-Underwater Hyrule...Kokiri Forest-Outset Island...Deku Tree-Forest Haven...Zora City-Greatfish Isle...but the only problem with that theory is, Outset Island resembles Kokiri Forest...the Forest Haven is where the Deku tree was...but Kokiri forest and the deku tree, as you should remember, were not a whole sea's distance apart...meaning between OOT and WW,another game or something must have taken place, moving the tree...but since no game was inbetween that time going on in that region, the two games reach a dispute where they could not possibly be Linked(no pun intended)...so therefore, even though there are close resemblances to the two games, they are not DIRECT sequels...

[color=indigo]Lol, you're trying to link the overworlds together? I'm sorry, but that doesn't work between [i]any[/i] of the games. The overworld is always different in each game. They do that to keep the games interesting, so that you're not exploring the same thing over and over again. It has nothing to do with the story. Sure, some of the islands in TWW resemble areas from OOT, but that doesn't mean that they have to be in the same places. Just look at the difference between The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, and The Adventure of Link. All differently arranged, but still the same Hyrule.

And actually, the Link in TWW isn't related to the Link in OOT. It says so in TWW, when the King of Red Lions tells Jabun that Link is of no relation to the old Hero.

As for the stuff about TWW being the last in the timeline, I don't think that would work. It says in TWW that Ganon attacked after Link (from OOT) left, and the Three Goddesses sealed Hyrule away beneath the Great Sea. There wouldn't have been time for the other games to take place in between OOT and TWW, I don't think. In A Link to the Past it tells about the imprisoning of Ganon in the Dark World (ie the Sacred Realm), and that it was long, long ago. From the story in TWW, it sounds like it wasn't that long after Link left that Ganon broke out of the Sacred Realm and Hyrule was sealed beneath the sea.

For the part about the Oracle games, I don't remember anything about Link being called back to Hyrule. *reads instruction booklet stories* ... Eh, the closest thing to what you're saying is this, out of the Seasons instruction manual: "One day in Hyrule, a strange force drew Link deep within Hyrule Castle, where he found the Trifroce resting, glittering brilliantly as it awaited him.
'Link... Link... Accept the quest of the Triforce!' "
He's called to the Triforce, but it never mentions from where. I just assumed he was living in Hyrule at the time.

My main idea (so far) for why OOS/OOA could be set right after LA is this, from the Link's Awakening instruction manual: " 'Who knows what threats may arise from Ganon's ashes?' the restless people murmured as they knitted their brows and shook their heads." And, guess what happens in a linked OOS/OOA game? That's right, Twinrova revives Ganon. I'll have to hunt around for other connections, too.[/color]

OoT is 1st then LA then ALTtP then LoZ then L'sA then WW then MM.

Check out the timeline and other stuff. Mine is a bit different. You wanna know why? Ask me.[URL=www.tmsword.com/cube/ganonzeldacelda.shtml][link=http://www.tmsword.com]tmsword.com[/link]tmsword.com/cube/ganonzeldacelda.shtml[/URL]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowLord [/i]
[B]OoT is 1st then LA then ALTtP then LoZ then L'sA then WW then MM.

Check out the timeline and other stuff. Mine is a bit different. You wanna know why? Ask me. [URL=www.tmsword.com/cube/ganonzeldacelda.shtml]tmsword.com[/URL] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]I have no idea how MM could be last, seeing as it's confirmed that it's set only about a month after OOT.... But I guess we all have different ideas. o_0

Anyway, I'd be quite interested in hearing your timeline. Reading other peoples' ideas always helps me build upon my own theories and whatnot. (Okay, so maybe not always, but most of the time. :whoops:[i][/i])[/color]

Its like this: I think that Majora's Mask comes after WindWaker because I think that MM is in the future. Now don't laugh until you have thought about this. The ocean goes down after WW and the people start build cities and empires and what have you. Anyway, if you have played MM, then you know about Stone Tower and how you have to "flip" it right? Well, if you look at the "flipped" blocks carefully, you can see the Triforce. I think that King Ikana is the last member in the Royal Family's lineage and since everyone had forgotten about Hyrule during WW, nobody believed in the Triforce or the 3 goddesses anymore so the people went on to bulid Clock Town and other cities.

[B]Its like this: I think that Majora's Mask comes after WindWaker because I think that MM is in the future. Now don't laugh until you have thought about this. The ocean goes down after WW and the people start build cities and empires and what have you. Anyway, if you have played MM, then you know about Stone Tower and how you have to "flip" it right? Well, if you look at the "flipped" blocks carefully, you can see the Triforce. I think that King Ikana is the last member in the Royal Family's lineage and since everyone had forgotten about Hyrule during WW, nobody believed in the Triforce or the 3 goddesses anymore so the people went on to bulid Clock Town and other cities. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]That might work, except Majora's Mask is set in Termina, not Hyrule. Termina is a sort of alternate world that's connected to Hyrule, which Link gets to by wandering through a portal in the Lost Woods while chasing the Skull Kid. Except for that, though, it's a good theory.[/color]

Im pretty sure that MM comes fairly soon after OoT because somewhere (either in the instruction book or at the beginning) it said Link had left Hyrule looking for "a friend" or something like that. I assume that his friend is Navi, as you [spoiler]see her flying away at the end of OoT[/spoiler], but I may be wrong. Besides, it has been confirmed to be soon after OoT, as Desbreko mentioned. Also, after beating WW, I figured that L'sA came soon after, because you see [spoiler]Link and Tetra sailing off.[/spoiler] At the beginning of L'sA Link is caught in a storm on a ship. You see only him, but maybe he got separated from the pirates or something.
Hmm... I kinda like ShadowLord's theory...very unique.

I konw that it takes place in a parallel world, but what I'm going by is the years. You can put MM before or after WW but anyway you do it, MM still takes place after WW. Although my theory is incomplete, its all most done and when it is I'll let anyone interested know.
Click[url=www.tmsword.com/chapters/theory_3links.shtml]here[/url] for an interesting theory.

One thing that knocks the theory off, is that it IS in fact only a short time after Ocarina of Time. "Link goes in search of a friend of whom he parted with at his journey's end". Which was none other than; Navi from Ocarina of Time, thus the Majora's Mask quest begins. So it connects SHORTLY after Ocarina of Time.

If not for the whole Navi scenario, I'd say good theory.

Listen to me. I know that MM takes place after Oot. What I am saying is that the year it takes place in is the future! Oot, MM , L'A, LTtP, LoZ, L's Adventure, and WW is the supposed game order right? Well, it doesn't make sense to me because I think that some of the games are seperated by 100's of years. Now remember, this is a timeline ok. 1st comes Oot, then 100 years later comes WW. Some people think that L's A comes after MM but I don't think thats true. When the game starts, hes on a boat and Epona never shows up during the game. L's A is supposed to come after MM but that doesn't make sense because that means that: a. he left Epona somewhere or b. that is a different Link because OoT Link would never leave his horse. Anyway, its Oot, WW, MM, LoZ, L's Adventure, LTtP, then L's A.
If you read it carefully, you might understand it because it doesn't make sense to me the way I wrote it.

[color=indigo]Well, yes, it makes sense if you disregard the fact that Nintendo has confirmed that MM takes place very soon after OOT. That makes it impossible for MM to take place any other time besides directly after OOT, since the next closest game to OOT is TWW, which is set 100 years or so after OOT. And over 100 years is not exactly a short time. (Not to mention that you're playing as the same Link as you do in OOT, and at about the same age, no less). In short, [i]it is impossible[/i] for MM to be set after TWW or any other game besides OOT. It just doesn't work, because as I've said, Nintendo has confirmed that MM takes place very soon after the end of OOT.[/color]

OK. You know what. Forget all thisbecause you all don't understand what I'm trying to say. Again and for the last time, I know that MM follows OoT and I know that WW takes place 100 years after OoT. What I was trying to say was that in theory MM supposedly takes place after WW because I think that when the sea level started dropping after WW, the land of Hyrule was exposed to the sun. Since the people had forgotten about Hyrule, they renamed the land into Termina and built Clock Town and worshipped new gods since nobody remembered the Triforce gods. So, that must mean that MM takes place after WW. But, when Link entered Termina he actually stepped into the future. What I'm saying is that in a timeline, MM would take place after WW and in the game order, MM would come after OoT. OK!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by hiachi [/i]
[B]What they are trying to say is that, MM must've come very shortly after OOT, because his journey to find Navi would have been pretty soon after she left at the end of OOT.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Why would Link wait 100 years to finally decide and search for Navi? Or how could Link be "sent" 100 years or more into the future, and it not be written into the plot of Majora's Mask? Eh, Nintendo may have plot holes in it's Zelda series, but they don't cut out entire storylines.

[B]OK. You know what. Forget all thisbecause you all don't understand what I'm trying to say. Again and for the last time, I know that MM follows OoT and I know that WW takes place 100 years after OoT. What I was trying to say was that in theory MM supposedly takes place after WW because I think that when the sea level started dropping after WW, the land of Hyrule was exposed to the sun. Since the people had forgotten about Hyrule, they renamed the land into Termina and built Clock Town and worshipped new gods since nobody remembered the Triforce gods. So, that must mean that MM takes place after WW. But, when Link entered Termina he actually stepped into the future. What I'm saying is that in a timeline, MM would take place after WW and in the game order, MM would come after OoT. OK! [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Okay, I think I get what you're saying now. That Termina is actually Hyrule in the distant future, after the Great Sea in The Wind Waker subsides, and that the portal that Link goes through at the start of Majora's Mask warps him to that future. (Odd that I'm listening to Chrono Trigger music while I type this, heh). It's not that Link waited 100 years or however long before going and searching for Navi (how would he live that long, after all?), it's that he was transported into the future when he went through the portal while chasing the Skull Kid. That's what you're saying, right?

What I'm saying, though, is that it doesn't work. It's a good theory, yes, and interesting to think about, but when it comes down to it it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the games' stories.

Sorry about the confusion. I didn't get the part about Link being warped into the future from your earlier posts.[/color]

Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you Desbreko. Someone finally got it.I'm not really good at explaining things but you actually got. Anyway, like I said, Link going to the future is the only thing that I could think of besides that parallel world thing. Besides, if it was really a parallel world, then how come the didn't worship the Triforce and the 3 goddess but the 4 other gods?

[color=indigo]Well, Nintendo's explanation about the world of Termina is that some alternate worlds were also created when Hyrule was being created, resulting in Termina (and Labrynna and Holodrum from the Oracle games, I think). The Four Giants aren't really gods, but more just guardians. And the people of Termina wouldn't know about the Three Goddesses because the Goddesses weren't really intending to create Termina and the other worlds. They left the Triforce in Hyrule, their main creation, and with it the story of creation, but that was it. Meaning the people of Termina wouldn't know about the Goddesses or the Triforce or any of that.[/color]

Since the goddesses chose the Hyrule people to be their special people (the people of Hyrule were said to be able to hear the gods with their long ears), it makes sense that Termina and other places wouldn't know too much.

It's the video game world crossing with the money making one. Like I said, until Nintendo produces an official timeline, I'm not laying my bet on any of them. Even my own.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B]Like I said, until Nintendo produces an official timeline, I'm not laying my bet on any of them. Even my own. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]See, the problem with that, is that it probably won't ever happen. I forget exactly what his words were, but I remember reading that Miyamoto said that he likes to leave how the games connect to the imaginations of the players, since everyone has their own ideas and he wouldn't want to squish peoples' ideas with an official timeline. Pretty much, leave it up to the player to come up with the connections and the order of the games. So yeah, I doubt they're ever going to release an official timeline.

Of course, on one hand I'd like them to release an official timeline, but on the other hand I wouldn't. If they did, it would stop all the confusion and arguing about which games go where and all that. But then I wouldn't get to come up with all my theories and such, and have fun trying to link the games together. Guess I don't know what I want, heh. :whoops:[/color]