OtakuBoards

-The Lord of the Rings 411-

Dragon Warrior

I read the triology back in 7th or 8th grade, and i found it not only interesting, but a book i just couldn't put down. It was very intreging. Only after being forced to read The Hobbit this year by my senior english teacher, did i really understand where it all started. My mind kept going back to places mention in LOTR, and of course, Gollum.

Althought i have the extended four disc of TT, i have yet to watch it. I already know a lot about how they made the movie, and such from my good friend, who not only is a "know-most-of-it-all" of the book, but loves to watch the bonus features. I find it quite interesting to see just how the story went from book to film. There is a lot of stuff that goes into it, that sometimes, you just don't notice, or even realize. Like how much time Andy had to put in just to become Gollum. I mean, (correct me if i'm wrong) I think he had to put in more time than any of the other actors.

I would have to say that i liked the books better than the movies. I mean there is so much more in the book, that the movies left out. I can think of many for ROTK. But hopefully those will be in the extended edition.

My favorite character is Pippin. (as K.K.C. knows all to well :)) He is so funny, and always gets into some sort of trouble. He is always faithful to his friends and family.

My favorite part of the books is when Legolas and Gimli are counting how many Orcs they slay. I don't think they show enough of this in the movie.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can still safely say that [b]The Hobbit[/b] was one of the first books that actually had me imagining a new world. I could see the rich landscapes that Tolkien did so well explaining. The eagles in The Hobbit were pictured in my head just as they were seen in the movies. Very large eagles =P

They definately should make The Hobbit a movie as well. All the movie versions of it are either cartoons or crappy crap crap =D

A Hobbit movie would be much easier to do, and much more fun. Firstly, it's shorter - less bits get ripped out. Secondly, it was designed to be more entertaining because its aimed at Children. With some more mature humour as well.Of course there would be the whole dillema of taking on the persona of Gandalf in the Hobbit (not as serious, a bit goofy) or LOTR where he is very serious about the task at hand.

I think a movie about The Hobbit would be cool! Although who to pick for Bilbo...that'd be the hardest part I think. (I didn't like the guy who played Bilbo in the movies-but then again I didn't like Bilbo much to begin with.)

*looks back a few posts* Oh jeez, the Silmarillion! *falls to floor in shock* I tried to read that in Junior high before reading LOTR- I just about died of boredom! Then again I was a very hyperactive kid. If I weren't in the middle of a good Stephen King novel I might pick it up again...

Anyway, back to LOTR. BEST MOVIE EVER! I like book-Legolas the best, but he really didn't translate well to the big screen. I thought Gimli was a little to comical for my taste (ok, dwarf tossing is funny, but c'mon :rolleyes: ) Pippin is my favorite character on-screen [spoiler](my good lord that singing voice in ROTK! A very powerful scene-he made me cry!)[/spoiler]

I'm a big music person, and it kind of annoyed me that the movie had a Leit Motif feel (A Leit Motif is when a story has a certain musical theme for groups of people, a place, or an idea. That theme is played each time the character is on screen.) It was ok towards the beginning, but by ROTK I wanted to rip my hair out every time I heard the Rohan coming. I do have to admit that the music fits very well. The mark of good background music-you barely notice its there. Unless, of course, you're a physco like me who judges all movies by their music :cross:

I must add something about my favorite character, Eowyn. Now, when I first read the book, I totally hated her. It thought she was just trying to steal Aragorn and all that. (remember: hyperactive kid = skim reader.) But after seeing TTT and re-reading the books, I came to realize that she was just lonely and she felt confined. I think she saw Aragorn as a way out. I really like her, especially in ROTK [spoiler]when she went to fight even though they told her not to-stubborn people rock[/spoiler]! I like all the characters in LOTR, but that?s just cause I think Tolkien is an amazing descriptive writer. I think Peter did a great job with the movies-all three rock! And that?s my two bits on Lord of the Rings :toothy:

Of course everyone has heard rumors of "The Hobbit" to be coming out as a movie and I think it will happen. The trilogy has become so big over the past 3 years (even more in NZ), I think it would just be... not smart to not have The Hobbit. I really think it will come out sometime, I mean, they already made a video game.

Wow! *reads DW's post on the Hobbit play* That is awesome that you want to be an actor! I'v been thinking alot about my own choices and i'v been leaning towards acting lately. I hope you find out some way to get an audition, I bet you would do great as Gollum, but you have to remember all those riddles and such. Hope you find a way.

I'm stated to wonder (If the hobbit does come out) who would play Bilbo. I'm thinking that the guy who played Bilbo in LOTR might do it, but I heard they had to tape his face back for the part when it showed him first finding the ring.(Well, that's what it said on the extended DVD on the Comentary of the cast).

Does anyone here watch the comentary's on the DVDs?

Well, of course. If they ever did bring out the film of [b]The Hobbit[/b], they'd have to cast Ian to do the part of Bilbo again. I mean, in real life he's an old man, but they managed to make him look young in the FOTR, so why not?

Though, I believe I read Peter Jackson destinctly saying that they're not doing The Hobbit.

But hey, if they did, they'd have to cast a whole group of new actors for the main roles, aside from Ian being Gandalf, the other Ian being Bilbo, and Andy Serkis as Gollum.

I watched the Commentary from the Cast for the first movie. :) It was so funny! There was some parts where i couldn't stop laughing! I remember...this was a while ago when i watched it...that during one of there sessions they had a break, and it was there that the game "Tig" was invented. *laughs at Artemis* we would play this in school just to pass time.

Tig is exatcly like tag, only you use different words, like "tog". (I'll use the characters since some people don't know who played them)Pippin and Merry invented this game and started to play it. They started to make up all kinds of fun rules for it. Then Sam came and saw what they were doing, and joined the fun. They made up more rules, and continued playing. Then, Frodo comes along, and actually thinks it's a real game! So they play it, Pippin and Merry making up new rules as they go. Well, some time passes, with out the game of "Tig" and Frodo asks why they don't play it anymore. You see, he thought it was a real game! They then explain it was just a game they made up. *laughs* it was so funny!:)

I do not remember anything about a tig from the first Extended DvD set, but I do recall one time where Billy and Dominic were sittin' on their break and talkin' trash about Elijah and then Elijah walks over and sits down and they're all nice to him. Then Dominic gets up to get an apple and so Elijah and Billy talk trash about Dominic. Then Dominic comes back and Billy leaves and Elijah and Dominic talk about Billy. It was very humorous. And they didn't even plan to do it. It just sort of happened. That's what I do with my friends all the time.

I don't know. Peter Jackson originally said that if a Hobbit movie was to be made, he wouldn't be responsible for it. Now I'm hearing that he's been trying to get the rights to it, so I don't know what's going on.

He's probably going to have a really hard time though. Tolkein's son didn't even want these films to be made. The only reason they were was because Tolkein himself sold off the film rights quite a long time ago. I'm not sure what is going on, but I'm not expecting any news on it for awhile.

Well then, if he sold off the film rights to LOTR, he must've to The Hobbit, and maybe some other books he has written. He did write a lot of literature back in his day, afterall. But then again, the son of Tolkien may be afraid they'd ruin Tolkien's great creation. Probably why he hated the idea of LOTR films.

i don't know about anyone else, but after every sinlge film i went to see (obviously talking about LOTR, not something like stuart little... not that i've ever seen that film.... in the cinema.... with my sister.... um....) i came out thinking DAMN, i wish i had the grace of an elf. Not just any Elf, the main man/elf, Legolas. He is just too good. Okay, i realise some ppl maybe be thinking that their 'Gaydar' is going crazy, but lets be honest people, he is CRAZY!!! Remember the arrow, with the eye? And the firing again! Argh!!! CRAZIE!!!

I think that the makers of the film should look back with real pride on this film. Really something to turn to their granchilren and say I was involved in that. It's a modern classic! As an actor I would have truly been sorry when the finally scene was shot... it would have been a life changing experience...

NB: [spoiler]No Bombabdil?!?!? [/spoiler] Someone, please explain! I realise that it would have made the film longer as would the [spoiler] the burning of the shire at the end [/spoiler] but was that the only reason?!?

It's simple. They just didn't want him in it. And I don't think you need spoilers for that. He wasn't a big part of the book and therefore they thought, if something needed to be taken out, it'd be him.

And they said they were crushed when the film-making was over. They were quite sad. All on those danged Extended DvDs XD I know I'm crushed whenever I finish an acting performance. It's truely sad, but fun when you're doing it.

Hmm, so we discuss the LOTR series eh? I am finally here, and I see you failed to mention The Silmarillion.

One thing I would also like to point out is that LOTR isn't a 3 book series. It is not 3 different books/movies. IN 1942 it was one big book. For some reason they slpit it into 3 different books. I do not know the exact reason why.

Also since we were tlaking about favourite characters out of all the books Gandalf is my favourite. He is so wise and all.

Something I would also like to mention the movies left out a lot of parts. Though the movies are pretty good, but I enjoy the books better. I've read all of them in the LOTR series except The Silmirillion.

Oh well, better safe than sorry with the whole spoliers thing, in cse some enraged fan turn up at my house with a replica orc sword :)

I wonder though, on the whole extended dvd things, is it humanly possible to watch all three films EXTENDED back to back? It would require more endurance skills than a marathon runner if you ask me....

Does anyone know of any such freaks of nature? Or are you one? (NB: Toilet Breaks not allowed ;) ) Reasons being beacause I think that it may if anything enhance the viewing pleasure, since nothing would be forgotten or things like that.... on the other hand, the obvious cramps and such balance that...

Actually, I'm not sure where, but somewhere a theatre held a LOTR marathon where all three films were played back to back. That's over 10 hours of movies ;_; Even if it were LOTR, I couldn't stand it.

And Spikey, we did mention the Silmarillion earlier in this thread. We just didn't talk about it much. And the reason the big book was split into 3 was because back when Tolkien published them, book-making was very expensive and the LOTR book was so massive, it took a lot of paper and just simply couldn't be done because of how they made books back then. :)

AS for the titles, Tolkien liked the title for FOTR since it was about the Fellowship. He was very vague on TTT since he supposedly didn't mention what two towers the title interpreted. As for ROTK, he didn't like that title since it gave out what happened in the end. But the publishers insisted and so he ended up calling it that.

[COLOR=green]Well, I guess you wouldn't have liked going to see all five existing Star Wars movies back to back. The movie theatre did that as a special deal when Episode II was released. They'd had problems with the lines for Episode I, which apparently hurt business and got the theatre into trouble with the city. Instead, they showed the other four movies, having the last one end right before midnight so that they could show Episode II on it's opening day at the earliest time. I went, and it was great.

Back to Lord of the Rings...

I went and saw [B]The Return of the King[/B] and I have a question. Please forgive me if there's an obvious answer for this one, I'm not a devout fan. I was wondering, [B][U]Where are the Dwarves?[/U][/B]. They sent Gimili to assist with the fellowship, but sent no troops to assist in the final battle. Why didn't they show?

The Dwarves showed up for the clash at the end of [B]The Hobbit[/B], why didn't they arrive in [B]Return of the King[/B]?

Just a thought...[/COLOR]

Ya know, it probably says it in the book, but I never read the books so I'm not too sure. They didn't send Gimli with the fellowship. Gimli signed onto the Fellowship at his own will. He joined them by his own decision. I'm guessing the dwarves don't want to have much to do with this. That or they live too far away? I'm not sure.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Boba Fett [/i]
[B][COLOR=green]

Back to Lord of the Rings...

I went and saw [B]The Return of the King[/B] and I have a question. Please forgive me if there's an obvious answer for this one, I'm not a devout fan. I was wondering, [B][U]Where are the Dwarves?[/U][/B]. They sent Gimili to assist with the fellowship, but sent no troops to assist in the final battle. Why didn't they show?

The Dwarves showed up for the clash at the end of [B]The Hobbit[/B], why didn't they arrive in [B]Return of the King[/B]?

Just a thought...[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

Er *flips through ROTK*
I'm checking up on the Appendix B, which is a timeline of almost everything that happned in LOTR, and it says that [spoiler]on 17 March 3019, that the Dwarves and Men are engaged in the Battle of Dale against the Mordor enemies, before they're besieged, and it's around this time that Frodo is captured after being stung by Shelob.

...Oh! *Grabs FOTR*

But way in the beginning in the Council of Elrond in the Fellowship of the Ring, they mention a bit of the troubles brewing in Dale, and how the Dwarves were trying to assist King Brand of Dale. They took this part out in the movie because I guess it was too long, and if I remember correctly, they say in the Extended version that as short as the Council of Elrond had been in the movie, it took an incredibly long time to shoot?

Er anyway, that's where the Dwarves were, I assume, fighting alongside men in Dale. [/spoiler]I haven't read the books in a while, so my information may be a bit off >.<

~haruno_sakura

• 7 months later...
I see. Well, that explains a lot. Thanks XD

And yes, the Elrond scene did take forever to read, they said. It was such a long part of the book that they had to shorten it. It took five days to shoot, which was one of the longest times they had to shoot a scene for. I imagine it was rough on everyone, especially the actors. They had to sit around and say their lines and act all the junk out over and over. Man, I can't wait to begin my acting career :) (NOTE: That wasn't sarcasm mind you).

Yeah, there's a lot more on the dwarves and the extent to which they do end up getting involved in everything in the appendices of the book, which are an interesting (albeit nerdiest ever) read.

Anyway, I wasn't a huge fan of the movies until I had to re-read the books for class (Oh yes. That's right. I took a college level [i]class[/i] entirely on [i]Lord of the Rings[/i]. [strike]Run away now, my nerdiness overpowers you all[/strike]). Then I started realizing that the majority of it was really well-done.

By the way, the additions in the extended version of [i]The Two Towers[/i] made me really happy. Mostly because [spoiler]a) they showed more of the conflict between Faramir and Denethor as well as the camaraderie between the two brothers, which made it much clearer why Faramir took the hobbits back to Minas Tirith and made it more okay for me that they changed it from the book, and b) they actually showed the Huorns (the Ents' herd) taking care of the dwarves after the battle at Helm's Deep[/spoiler]. I don't know why I've never seen the extended of the first one ...

Also, by the way, to the people who mentioned the [i]Chronicles of Narnia[/i], C.S. Lewis (the author of that) and Tolkien were friends and they wrote letters to each other and stuff. (Incidentally, they were also both Christian, and both intended to use their fantasy worlds to get across some of their Christian morals and beliefs. But I hate talking about the religion in [i]Lord of the Rings[/i].)

Yeah, I mentioned C.S. Lewis's and Tolkien's relationship earlier in this thread. They both shared a view on literature that books didn't seem to please them and they wanted to create books that'd match their liking. Bam! Middle-Earth and Narnia!

As for what you said on the second DvD junk... [spoiler]I think the stuff with Faramir and Denethor should have stayed in the original film. For one thing, it showed the conflict even before the third movie and for another thing, it showed that Boromir wasn't all that bad neither. I always saw Boromir as a bad guy in the Fellowship because there wasn't one moment until the end that he showed any decency. Then in this Two Towers extended footage, he's this big leader and is great friends with his brother and is loved by everyone. I personally like that part. It gives a sense that the world of Middle-Earth isn't lost and the people there can be happy even with the trouble brewing elsewhere (move over, Terra, sexy nerdiness :D).[/spoiler]

[color=firebrick] I really disagree with anyone who still thinks Boromir is evil. He freaking took about four arrows and kept on fighting to protect Merry and Pippin. If that's evil..then you people are just plain whacked. I don't think people still fully understand the sheer power of this ring. There's all these people saying: Oh, that Frodo, he's such a wimp, he couldn't have done it without Sam...

Well, yes, Sam was very important and I love him but Frodo is amazingly strong. Sam was corrupted by the ring only after an HOUR of wearing it, and Frodo's been wearing the thing for forever before they arrived at Mt. Doom. Carrying the ring is like having a 50 ton rock on your back; Frodo was literally crawling up Mt. Doom in the end. It's known in the books that even Sam had to leave Middle Earth later on because he had become corropted by the ring. It's not like Frodo is some wimpy little thing that can't do anything...

Well, anyways. On the Tolkien/Lewis friendship...J.R.R Tolkien eventually distanced himself from C.S. Lewis because he didn't like the way he wrote. Lol[/color]

I never got the impression that Sam was corrupted by the Ring, exactly. More that he couldn't quite fit into life on Middle Earth after wearing it, like Frodo and Bilbo before him. Which I guess could be described as "corrupted," but I thought of it more as ... "irrevocably changed," because I never thought Sam was as tempted by the power of the Ring as the other two. (Not to say he's stronger than them or anything, obviously, since his circumstances were quite different.)

But yeah, though I always thought the Frodo/Sam storyline was the least interesting part of the book, I don't think the fact that Frodo was strong could be up for debate. It was much harder to visually display the weight the Ring exerted on him, which is probably why people who've only watched the movies think Frodo was such a wimp. The books describe it in some more detail.

[QUOTE=maladjusted][color=firebrick] I really disagree with anyone who still thinks Boromir is evil. He freaking took about four arrows and kept on fighting to protect Merry and Pippin. If that's evil..then you people are just plain whacked. I don't think people still fully understand the sheer power of this ring. There's all these people saying: Oh, that Frodo, he's such a wimp, he couldn't have done it without Sam...
[/color][/QUOTE]

You misunderstand me. I didn't mean that he was actually [i]evil[/i] like Sauron-type evil. I mean he's been corrupted by the ring and has a dark aura around him because he always wants the ring. But in TTT special scene where he's in Gondor, he hasn't been exposed to the ring and so he's a cheery, happy, friendly dude who's not corrupted.

[spoiler]And it rarely shows signs of Sam being corrupted. The time he really shows it was when Frodo was captured by the orcs in the third movie and Sam comes to the tower to save him. It shows Sam not wanting to give it back. But Sam is too loyal to Frodo. He even overcame the ring for Frodo and for the fate of Middle-Earth. Frodo's strong, but so is Sam. Don't diss the Gamgee XD[/spoiler]

NOTE: I'm currently listening to the LOTR: FOTR soundtrack XD I love this music.

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior]You misunderstand me. I didn't mean that he was actually [i]evil[/i] like Sauron-type evil. I mean he's been corrupted by the ring and has a dark aura around him because he always wants the ring. But in TTT special scene where he's in Gondor, he hasn't been exposed to the ring and so he's a cheery, happy, friendly dude who's not corrupted.

[spoiler]And it rarely shows signs of Sam being corrupted. The time he really shows it was when Frodo was captured by the orcs in the third movie and Sam comes to the tower to save him. It shows Sam not wanting to give it back. But Sam is too loyal to Frodo. He even overcame the ring for Frodo and for the fate of Middle-Earth. Frodo's strong, but so is Sam. Don't diss the Gamgee XD[/spoiler]

NOTE: I'm currently listening to the LOTR: FOTR soundtrack XD I love this music.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the music is SO AWESOME.

As for Boromir, I have to Agree with Dragon warrior. He wasn't an evil "person." He was corrupted, but redeemed in the end. While the ring took a hold of him, he recognized his mistake, and died with honor in the end. In the books, this was actually meant as a mirror reflection to his brother Faramir. They were completely different in the books. While Boromir became easily tempted by the ring's power, in the [i]books[/i] Faramir refused it without question stating "I would not take this thing if it laid by the roadside and I alone could save Gondor." (Or err, something like that ;) ) All I'm saying is that Boromir was freakin cool, and while he was tempted, he redeemed himself in the end.

NOW, as far as Sam, well, Sam is weaker than Frodo yes, but as Dragon Warrior said "Don't diss the Gamgee" (love that btw :laugh: ) meaning he is not as easily tempted as the others. Actually, I would think is second to Frodo as far as resilience goes. But that was why FRODO was chosen instead of Sam, because Sam would be tempted faster than Frodo would have. But because of Sam's Love for Frodo, (as a friend sicko's ;) ) Sam could never stab Frodo in the back. The scene was displaying how far Sam's Loyalty to Frodo went. Not how weak Sam could be. Sam gave it up in the end. While he heard the rings voice in his head promising him great powers, he wasn't lured into it's offer. He resisted because his bond was stronger than anything.