OtakuBoards

-The Lord of the Rings 411-

Dragon Warrior

[QUOTE=Vash IDK]I agree, the music is SO AWESOME.

As for Boromir, I have to Agree with Dragon warrior. He wasn't an evil "person." He was corrupted, but redeemed in the end. While the ring took a hold of him, he recognized his mistake, and died with honor in the end. In the books, this was actually meant as a mirror reflection to his brother Faramir. They were completely different in the books. While Boromir became easily tempted by the ring's power, in the [i]books[/i] Faramir refused it without question stating "I would not take this thing if it laid by the roadside and I alone could save Gondor." (Or err, something like that ;) ) All I'm saying is that Boromir was freakin cool, and while he was tempted, he redeemed himself in the end.[/QUOTE]

The music calms me. I can listen to it and feel like the world has no trouble and I'm somewhere else. It almost makes me break down and feel tranquility. Kind of odd O.o

As for your thing about Faramir in the book, that's a bit odd since in the film, he (like his brother Boromir) was tempted by the ring and wanted Frodo to take it back to Gondor led by Faramir's troops (I think this was partially so he'd gain his father's respect). But as we all know, he eventually overcomes the ring and sends Frodo away since the ring must stay away from evil at all costs. Good ole Faramir.

FUN NOTE: The dude that plays Faramir (can't recall his name) also plays the friar in Van Helsing. Bwee!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior]The music calms me. I can listen to it and feel like the world has no trouble and I'm somewhere else. It almost makes me break down and feel tranquility. Kind of odd O.o

As for your thing about Faramir in the book, that's a bit odd since in the film, he (like his brother Boromir) was tempted by the ring and wanted Frodo to take it back to Gondor led by Faramir's troops (I think this was partially so he'd gain his father's respect). But as we all know, he eventually overcomes the ring and sends Frodo away since the ring must stay away from evil at all costs. Good ole Faramir.

FUN NOTE: The dude that plays Faramir (can't recall his name) also plays the friar in Van Helsing. Bwee![/QUOTE]

Believe me, I was TOTALLY upset with what Jackson did to Faramir's character. It was altered for movie purposes, but the books are the real thing. Faramir was NOT tempted by the ring. He helped Frodo and Sam from the very beginning. He filled their bags with food, gave them safe passage, and warned them of Gollum. He was a GREAT character. But the movies still did fine with him in the end. Just not the way I hope they would do it. :(

And yes, that music is the best. Especially Twilight and Shadow. I zone out whenever I listen to it. It calms me, and I can't seem to get sick of it no matter how hard I try. I love "The Fields of Pelenor" as well. Great Music. Very worthy.

ps: David Wenham ;)

David :^D

I personally enjoy Track 17 of the Fellowship soundtrack. It's pretty much a combination of a sorts of music previously used in the film (though it's actually used when Frodo and Sam are leaving and Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli set off at the end). It's so beautiful, though. My least favorite part of the song is the boy choir singing at the end, but it's pretty cool how it moves right into track 18 with Enya singing. Yay ;^D

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior]David :^D

I personally enjoy Track 17 of the Fellowship soundtrack. It's pretty much a combination of a sorts of music previously used in the film (though it's actually used when Frodo and Sam are leaving and Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli set off at the end). It's so beautiful, though. My least favorite part of the song is the boy choir singing at the end, but it's pretty cool how it moves right into track 18 with Enya singing. Yay ;^D[/QUOTE]

You know what's funny? A lot of people I know HATE Enya. (I absolutely LOVE her) But what was great when they said the vocals for the end and during parts of the movie was great, and then I got to break it to them :razz: They were all so upset, except for one.

My MOST favorite is Track 3: Minas Tirith from the Return of the King CD. The vocals from the scene where Gandalf fights off the Winged Nazgul from the fleers of Osgiliath. And then they switch to the music where he and Pippin ride up to Denethor, all in one score. It's so beautiful. It get's me going when I'm in a cleaning mood. :)

The third soundtrack is the only one I don't possess (but do plan on getting once I get a Prozzak CD). I definately like all the movies' music ^_^ As for Enya, I burned two of her CDs. I may have lost some manhood, but I enjoy celtic music. Unfortunately, Enya only sung two songs in the Fellowship soundtrack and I'm not sure if she did any for the other two. Most of those high-pitched voices were boys choir XD

For me, the third cd was the best. As for losing manliness in burning enya, I don't think that's wrong at all for you to do that. At least you admit to it right? Some guys won't admit to it at all. The celtic style of her makes it worth it to keep. She's a GREAT artist.

For me, the "boy choir," I think they add a really nice touch to the LOTR movies. But what sells it for me is the violins and harp strings. Those high pitches really get the heart pumping. Music does things to people, and most don't realize it until it's gone. If the entire LOTR movies had no music, I can't say I'd like them very much. While the storyline sells in itself, the music is what makes the heart beat in rhythm with the movie itself. Does anyone understand my reasoning? Or did I lose some readers? :razz:

I understand you completely. That's EXACTLY how I feel with this music and movies. It's so incredibly amazing, it even gives me the shivers. Have you watched the behind the scenes stuff on the 4-disc special editions and at the end of some of the things you can watch, they'll play the music and say something really sappy? That just gives me a chill and I wish I could be there with them. Now that's gotta sound weird. But it's true. I wanna be an actor and acting in LOTR would be the biggest thrill I'd ever have. What lucky punks.

As for the instruments, I personally love the flute in "Concerning Hobbits." That's just amazingly beautiful and calming. It gives a sense that this world is free and happy and nothing can go wrong, but if the hobbits just took a step away from their doors in the hills, they'd realize the world is on the brink of war, if not already in war. Amazing.

:( I wanted to be Eowyn. Darn it! If only I had known :roll:

That was a beautiful piece. Did you watch the extra's on Two Towers Special Ed. where they showed the folklore instrument used in the Rohan music? The music for the Golden Hall was gorgeous. My heart almost melted when I heard it. That instrument they used was perfect, and it rang up so many emotions. Music like that makes me want to cry and get all emotional. :cry: :)

I love the Rohan music. That song is great ^_^ And yes, I've seen all the footage of both 4-disc sets for both movies (more than once too). It's amazing what they can do. Peter Jackson had unlimited money for this movie so he went all out. I would too if I had endless cash rolling in. And they definately made more money than they spent.

And if you want your username changed to Eowyn, talk to Charles or James. They'll change it for you.

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior]I love the Rohan music. That song is great ^_^ And yes, I've seen all the footage of both 4-disc sets for both movies (more than once too). It's amazing what they can do. Peter Jackson had unlimited money for this movie so he went all out. I would too if I had endless cash rolling in. And they definately made more money than they spent.

And if you want your username changed to Eowyn, talk to Charles or James. They'll change it for you.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I didn't know they can do that? I'll talk to them thanks :)

Peter J. did a great job in casting though. The casting was dead on for every character. It fit them perfectly. I didn't have any complaints. Expecially Denethor. John Noble did such a great job. I hated his character so much, and the fact that I felt such hatred tells me something about the actor getting the audiences attention. He did very well on all of it.

[i]You misunderstand me. I didn't mean that he was actually evil like Sauron-type evil. I mean he's been corrupted by the ring and has a dark aura around him because he always wants the ring. But in TTT special scene where he's in Gondor, he hasn't been exposed to the ring and so he's a cheery, happy, friendly dude who's not corrupted.

[spoiler]And it rarely shows signs of Sam being corrupted. The time he really shows it was when Frodo was captured by the orcs in the third movie and Sam comes to the tower to save him. It shows Sam not wanting to give it back. But Sam is too loyal to Frodo. He even overcame the ring for Frodo and for the fate of Middle-Earth. Frodo's strong, but so is Sam. Don't diss the Gamgee XD[/spoiler][/i]

[color=firebrick]^_^ I wasn't really directing the post at you, your post just reminded me of it. Sorry about that.

BUT, [spoiler] Sam was ultimately corrupted by the ring. I'm just saying that Frodo is freakishly strong, something that many people fail to notice. Like I said, Sam had to leave Middle Earth in the end...the ring corrupts anyone who carries it.[/spoiler] [/color]

That it does. I'm aware of [spoiler]Sam's passing with the Elves. He became Governor of Hobbiton first, though ;)[/spoiler]

And I agree with you, Ms. Eowyn-Wannabe :D He did seem to do well with casting. But I'd like to say that whoever he did choose to be the characters, they'd seem like those characters in the book no matter who was the actor or actress. It's just that we see them on screen and that gives us a picture of what they "could" look like. But the actors chosen definately did well acting-wise.

[quote name='maladjusted]BUT, [spoiler] Sam was ultimately corrupted by the ring. I'm just saying that Frodo is freakishly strong, something that many people fail to notice. Like I said, Sam had to leave Middle Earth in the end...the ring corrupts anyone who carries it.[/spoiler'] [/color][/quote]

[spoiler]Okay, in my opinion, Sam had the "privledge" of leaving Middle Earth, [i]because[/i] he was a ring bearer. It wasn't corrupting Sam after it had been destroyed. Sam felt it's weight, but that doesn't mean Sam was corrupted. He resisted the temptations the ring put forth to him. While I agree that Frodo is the stronger of the two, I don't think Sam was corrupted. When he would die in his life, he was to go to the undying lands. That's a [i]privledge[/i] if I've ever heard one. :) [/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior]That it does. I'm aware of [spoiler]Sam's passing with the Elves. He became Governor of Hobbiton first, though ;)[/spoiler]

And I agree with you, Ms. Eowyn-Wannabe :D He did seem to do well with casting. But I'd like to say that whoever he did choose to be the characters, they'd seem like those characters in the book no matter who was the actor or actress. It's just that we see them on screen and that gives us a picture of what they "could" look like. But the actors chosen definately did well acting-wise.[/QUOTE]

Lol, a little too late now. Casting is already over. :smirk:

True, I guess I need rewording then. I mean the actors and actresses did a great job. I guess Peter J had nothing to do with that part. At least not entirely. The cast of LOTR was very well informed of their character's characteristics ;)

I actually agree with Vash here. [spoiler]I remember reading some of Tolkien's work and it clearly states that Samwise leaves Middle-Earth by the way of the Elves. But his reason wasn't because of the ring. Being in the wake of the ring gave him a little long lasting life (like Bilbo and Gollum, but less) and he believed he was over-do to pass on to the other life. That's his reason.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior]I actually agree with Vash here. [spoiler']I remember reading some of Tolkien's work and it clearly states that Samwise leaves Middle-Earth by the way of the Elves. But his reason wasn't because of the ring. Being in the wake of the ring gave him a little long lasting life (like Bilbo and Gollum, but less) and he believed he was over-do to pass on to the other life. That's his reason.[/spoiler][/quote]

[spoiler]Furthermore, Tolkein's whole purpose for Sam was bigger than merely being there for Frodo. Sam went from a feeble gardner to a courageous hero. In the books, we see Sam's growth throughout the book.[/spoiler]

[color=firebrick] I just took a three-week course on Lord of the Rings at an academic camp and the professor stated [spoiler]that Sam left Middle Earth because his heart, even though he only wore it for so long, had part of the evil. He had the leave.[/spoiler] I'm not trying to be all intelligent here because I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to know everything about Tolkien's works, but I think I trust my professor. >_>

Don't hurt me! I LOVE Samwise, his loyalty and bravery left me with a mental refreshment, but I'm just saying something that the professor said. ._.

But you guys have all chances of being correct. :)[/color]

[QUOTE=maladjusted][color=firebrick] I just took a three-week course on Lord of the Rings at an academic camp and the professor stated [spoiler]that Sam left Middle Earth because his heart, even though he only wore it for so long, had part of the evil. He had the leave.[/spoiler] I'm not trying to be all intelligent here because I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to know everything about Tolkien's works, but I think I trust my professor. >_>

Don't hurt me! I LOVE Samwise, his loyalty and bravery left me with a mental refreshment, but I'm just saying something that the professor said. ._.

But you guys have all chances of being correct. :)[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=4]BASH BASH BASH BASH[/SIZE]

jking ;) I guess it comes down to interpretations then of the ending. Everyone has their own take on it. I too, think Samwise was one of the better characters of the entire Movie :)

I think it does come down to interpretations. My professor talked a lot about Sam and she never mentioned anything about him [spoiler]getting corrupted by the Ring[/spoiler], and I definitely agree with Vash and DW on that point, [spoiler]that he got to go as a privilege/gift because he carried the Ring for a short while rather than because he had to[/spoiler]. I mean, yes, your professor is undoubtedly very intelligent, but no professor or expert on any piece of literature can really have a completely definitive say on the author's purpose (unless there's some sort of letter from the author in which he explained it explicitly).

Which, come to think of it, there just might be. I'm kind of interested to read some of the Tolkien letters, apparently they're published as a book somewhere too.

[quote name='terra']I mean, yes, your professor is undoubtedly very intelligent, but no professor or expert on any piece of literature can really have a completely definitive say on the author's purpose.[/quote]

There is ONE Professor who knows for sure :D Professor Tolkien himself ;) Teehee... I'm so silly.

And since when were there LOTR classes? ;_; I wanna take one.

[color=firebrick] No, you actually don't. O_O *is still haunted by the boy next to her who DIDN'T SHOWER FOR TWO WEEKS* And forced to read The Silmarillion. <_<

Jk, jk. Lol. I took it at an academic camp this year...it's wonderful.

I'm not saying my professor is right, I'm just saying I agree with her. *ducks random objects* But I respect everyone's opinion here. And Samwise rocks, anyway. I still like him a whole lot better than Frodo in the movie, lol. My professor also pointed out that all the main characters had blue eyes in the movie except for Sam [he has brown ones]...coolness.

Aaanyways, new topic for me. I really, [i]really[/i] love how Tolkien depicted strong female figures in the book, considering the time period he wrote it in. Eowyn=coolest female character ever. XD She's one woman you don't want to screw around with, hehe. [/color]

Females played a small role in LOTR, IMO. I'm not trying to put them down, but I found it hard to find any that Tolkien made appear often. This seemed too much like a man story because Tolkien didn't let Eowyn, Galadriel, and Arwen do anything. What's up with that? I mean, they did do important things (I think Eowyn did the most important tasks of all women), but couldn't he have made more for them?

[quote name='Dragon Warrior']Females played a small role in LOTR, IMO. I'm not trying to put them down, but I found it hard to find any that Tolkien made appear often. This seemed too much like a man story because Tolkien didn't let Eowyn, Galadriel, and Arwen do anything. What's up with that? I mean, they did do important things (I think Eowyn did the most important tasks of all women), but couldn't he have made more for them?[/quote]

Most definetely. I really didn't care for Arwen's story at all, and Eowyn's character still lacked a little substance. But that doesn't mean their storylines weren't needed. I don't think Tolkein meant for their stories to be particulaly important anyway. IMO of course ;)

Now, I've never read the books, but in the movies it seems that Arwen and Galadriel weren't even needed in the plot. What did Arwen do? She talked lovey dovey with Aragorn and agreed to die and then came back. She did help save Frodo once, but Tolkien could walk around that. But I guess she's Strider's love so she can have that much.

Galadriel... what did she do really? Give the heroes a few boats, a few gifts, shelter, directions? I dunno. Once more, it seems like their jobs were semi-useless to completely not needed. It might be just because their parts are small, though. That may be why it seems this way.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][B]Yes, and the fact the there is no female character in the fellowship itself bothered me a little. I think one strong female could be enough.

The movie made Arwen look like she's an important character but a *friend* said that she played little in the book. Anyway, I think Arwen was there so people can go "Awww... that's so romantic!". A movie like LOTR could go without romantic scenes but it really adds something for most audiences. I think they included her story to point out that behind evey successful man there's a _____ woman. (Fill that out with something crazy, heh). I didn't like Arwen so much though. ^_^x

I love Eowyn's personality. I just love strong women. Those who fight and not wait around for their knight for rescue. It just sucked that in the movie, Eowyn wasn't even recognized a lot for what she did. She played little too. :confused: [/B] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]