OtakuBoards

Peace Maker Kurogane

Dagger

Yes I really do Like PMK. I saw it in an Anime magazien It was the comice and I fell in love with it. I have it now on Anime network. I also have two DVDs of it.
I would say my favorite character is Okita becaues he goes from so cute to so scary. When hes scary he looks like the teacher in my sword fighting class. I'm like the best in my class so I fight with him and it's so scary. In the end tho Okita is cute!! :rolleyes: Oh and if I messed up on anything I'm sorry I'm new here.
sea of chaos666

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to OtakuBoards, Sea of Chaos666. ^_^

Do you think Okita is putting on an act? I can't quite figure out whether he is a cheerful, happy-go-lucky person who occasionally gets taken over by his inner "demon," or a person who only behaves that way because he feels obligated to. In certain respects, he reminds me of Ginji from Get Backers.

~Dagger~

Dagger-dono

Is it possible for Okita to be putting on an act?
I believe his contrasting and polar attitudes are not a result of masking or faking his beliefs. Rather, I believe that both sides of Okita are the "real" Okita Souji.

Okita was only a child when he joined Shinsengumi was he not? His childhood life was rather, disturbing, to say the least.
The child-like (feminine?) innocent side to Okita's personality may represent the child that Okita was before he became a monster. The child was scarred and although the childhood ended, adulthood never began.
The monster-like side to Okita may show what he feels he has become. "To slay a demon, you must first become a demon." The "demon within" may exist out of necessity. Can slay a man if you are innocent? And if you can, how innocent are you?

Young Souji was so traumatized that the bi-polar personality was the only way of dealing with it. To make up for what he felt like was a horrible monster, he stayed innocent and sweet, like a child, whenever he could.

Just what I think off the top of my head. ^^ Sorry if it's innaccurate. >:o wow It felt so long ago when I wailed about these characters.

-ArV

Well Okita probly does not put on an act. He was as you said a child when he joiuned the shinsungumi. However he does not want the same thing for others especilly children so hes a softey when around others. As for his demon side I think he had guilt for thoes he had killed and did not like to admit it so it turns into anger on the battel feild. Well, that's what I think.

[QUOTE=r2vq]Dagger-dono

Is it possible for Okita to be putting on an act?
I believe his contrasting and polar attitudes are not a result of masking or faking his beliefs. Rather, I believe that both sides of Okita are the "real" Okita Souji.

Okita was only a child when he joined Shinsengumi was he not? His childhood life was rather, disturbing, to say the least.
The child-like (feminine?) innocent side to Okita's personality may represent the child that Okita was before he became a monster. The child was scarred and although the childhood ended, adulthood never began.
The monster-like side to Okita may show what he feels he has become. "To slay a demon, you must first become a demon." The "demon within" may exist out of necessity. Can slay a man if you are innocent? And if you can, how innocent are you?

Young Souji was so traumatized that the bi-polar personality was the only way of dealing with it. To make up for what he felt like was a horrible monster, he stayed innocent and sweet, like a child, whenever he could.

Just what I think off the top of my head. ^^ Sorry if it's innaccurate. >:o wow It felt so long ago when I wailed about these characters.

-ArV[/QUOTE]

Long time, no see! :)

That's an astute assessment. I especially agree with what you said about him never fully becoming an adult. It reminded me of something I read a while back--that women who were sexually or physically abused as children tend to have higher-pitched, almost girlish voices, as though time stopped for them when they were first traumatized. Obviously the situation is different with Okita, but I think the same general principle applies.

What made me question Okita was the fact that the TV series is sprinkled with random shots of him looking peculiarly melancholy, nearly always when he's alone. Of course, I suppose even cute little Oki is allowed to be pensive at times. Other than that, he seems almost scarily well-adjusted, considering his past.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
Dagger-dono,
You remember me! ^^ I'm flattered and surprised. I also kind of feel sorry for you. A waste of memory I am. I must admit that I never noticed Okita's melancholy nature when alone, but that may be a result of my watching the series only once through. I must get the DVDs to rewatch. =)
If Okita has been traumatized, it wouldn't change his character, but instead adds depth to it. This is why I liked this series so much.

Sea of Chaos666,
I have to agree with you, but with a slight twist. Where you said "he feels guilty" I would say he was more hurt and damaged from all the bloodshed. I doubt after so long he would feel guilt, but there have been many that say that every person you kill eats away at your soul.

Also, when you say that he turns his anger out on the battlefield, I would partially disagree with you. Rather, I believe that he feels not angry, but the professional swordsman is just trained to be ruthless.
A good example of this is when the eccentric swordsman who called Tetsu "dragonboy" (shame on me for forgetting his name) snuck into the Shinsengumi headquarters to recruit the T*tsunosuke brothers. Okita intercepted and although he was at first (coughing...and at second...) his usual friendly self, he quickly turned into the hitokiri mode. He wasn't neccessarily angry at...(shame on you ArV)...but he had his duty and his training... er...

>.< I lost my point. Ugh my deepest apologies. I need more sleep.
See you in a few months. ;)

-ArV

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=JazzLady22]...I've seen the Saiyuki dub. I can see why Goku might be picked for Shinpachi, them both being short and rather excitable. But I can't help but think it's a little childish for Shinpachi... then again, I'm hearing the Goku-voice in my head, and the VA will be doing something different.

And wow! I'm actually not minding the choice for Souji's VA too much. Hakkai has a very mild voice, and I'm sure with the right tone, it'd fit. Although I would have been happier if they'd cast a girl with a lower voice...

As for the rest, I haven't seen the dubs. But maybe I should look into it, I'm curious as to what they sound like (especially Suzu, since I loved the way his original seiyuu underplayed his scene in ep. 23...)

And yes, Dan Rugh, no more 'Kurogane.' It's just Peace Maker now... that's really too bad.[/QUOTE]
you've seen the Saiyuki dub????I haven't:( and they picked Hakkai's voice as Okita's???SUPERB!!!at least they didn't use a female voice for okita:)and I like Hakkai's japanese voice, I heard the saiyuki dub is quite good, so they must be pretty much the same...Goku's voice as shinpatchi's???Goku's voice is too childish for me(even though Goku is childish, his voice kinda freaked me out)Shinpatchi isn't as childish as Goku, just short, but definally not as childish as Goku

I got my friend addicted to pmk and she likes Okita and Suzu(Suzu, after his personality SERIOUSLY changed)and we, the Saiyuki and pmk otaku tag-team, slayed whoever insulted the bishies in both series(ok, there were no swords, guns or harisens involved but we used our hands to continuesly whack the enemy untill they begged for mercy)

No more 'Kurogane'??? Then can I still call it pmk???pm sounds like private message
-_- ''I went to my local manga store and they said imon peacemaker has been printed out, that means they stopped publishing it, and I was like:NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: I really wanted to read imon peacemaker, guess that's what you get for being the late manga fan :(

r2 somethingsomething:
I can't seem to remember your username, sorry 'bout that:whoops: anyway,I think that guy who called Tetsu 'dragonboy' is Sakamoto Ryouma, and he called Tetsu 'ironboy' (Tatsu was 'dragonboy', don't really know why)Although I may have got the facts wrong, if I did, someone please correct me

I watched disc 3 earlier this afternoon, and I think I enjoyed this set of episodes (9 through 12) even more the second time around. For one thing, Hotaru, like Hana, is [i]much[/i] less annoying in the English version of the show. She's played by Jessica Boone, who is rather good at that sort of character (for example, Ms. Boone also voiced Azmaria in Chrono Crusade). Though she still seems stupid and incompetent, she can also be surprisingly manipulative when the situation calls for it. She's dumb enough to fool even Ayu-nee; using her real-life crush on Okita as an excuse for virtually every suspicious activity was actually a clever move.

The comedy also becomes a lot more creative and outlandish in these episodes. I literally could not stop laughing when Hotaru went into [spoiler]rooftop-leaping ninja[/spoiler] mode, only to fall on her butt, or when Tetsu started shouting fancy attack names while hanging the Shinsengumi's laundry. Of course, the scene in which Tatsu started freaking out about Tetsu being taken to [spoiler]Shimabara[/spoiler] was also classic, and basically everything involving Ryoma and his crazy spider-hair had me in stitches. Now I'm extra excited about the next DVD, which will contain episode 15.

One more thing I've noticed while re-watching Peacemaker: the ninja battles are always exceptionally well animated, even more so than most of the regular swordfights sprinkled throughout the series. The brief skirmish between [spoiler]Susumu and Akesato[/spoiler] in episode 11 really startled me, because I didn't remember it being that good.

r2vq, another scene I took special notice of was the one you mentioned (the part where Okita suddenly attacks Ryoma). That's definitely the fastest normal --> oni transition I've seen yet, from what I've re-watched of the series so far. The whole thing is fully animated, contracting pupils and all--I'm tempted to say it's even cooler than Okita's oni bits in episode 1.

[quote name='ukoku']and he called Tetsu 'ironboy' (Tatsu was 'dragonboy', don't really know why)Although I may have got the facts wrong, if I did, someone please correct me[/quote]
Tatsu is dragon-boy because the word "tatsu" means dragon. I can only assume that the same thing applies for "tetsu" and iron. :)

~Dagger~

• 1 month later...
I just read Shinsengumi Imon Peace Maker.
In Shinsengumi Imon Peace Maker:
When Tetsunosuke was younger his parents were murdered by a Choushuu assasin right in front of him. Since then he?s vowed to take revenge, and to do this he decides the best way is to join the Shinsengumi. They aren?t too keen on having a 10 year old looking 16 year old in the group, but eventually they come around. However, Tetsunosuke wants them to take another step and teach him how to become a ?demon?.

In Peace Maker Kurogane:
he sees his parents being murdered by a Choushuu assassin right in front of him, he vows with all his heart to become strong enough to take revenge on their killer. It is now 1864, the first year of Genji. Tetsunosuke, now 15, heads to the headquarters of the Shinsengumi with his older brother Tatsunosuke, looking to join the historical group to fulfill his dreams of getting stronger. Little does he realize what he is about to experience by doing so, for in order to join this army, one must forego his humanity and become a demon.
There both great, by what i read, and there will be a other sequel when Tetsunosuke older, Right?

[QUOTE=Xx_Chaos_xX]
There both great, by what i read, and there will be a other sequel when Tetsunosuke older, Right?[/QUOTE]

Yes I'm pretty sure there is ging to be one about his older life. I saw on a Jappenies site a version of older Tetsunoske. I have seen a preview for it when he was an adult as well, it was on the same site. I'm not toatlly sure thought It my have been fake! If anyone has heard diffrent let me know! :animesmil

Guest Alchemist
[QUOTE=Xx_Chaos_xX]I just read Shinsengumi Imon Peace Maker.
In Shinsengumi Imon Peace Maker:
When Tetsunosuke was younger his parents were murdered by a Choushuu assasin right in front of him. Since then he?s vowed to take revenge, and to do this he decides the best way is to join the Shinsengumi. They aren?t too keen on having a 10 year old looking 16 year old in the group, but eventually they come around. However, Tetsunosuke wants them to take another step and teach him how to become a ?demon?.

In Peace Maker Kurogane:
he sees his parents being murdered by a Choushuu assassin right in front of him, he vows with all his heart to become strong enough to take revenge on their killer. It is now 1864, the first year of Genji. Tetsunosuke, now 15, heads to the headquarters of the Shinsengumi with his older brother Tatsunosuke, looking to join the historical group to fulfill his dreams of getting stronger. Little does he realize what he is about to experience by doing so, for in order to join this army, one must forego his humanity and become a demon.
There both great, by what i read, and there will be a other sequel when Tetsunosuke older, Right?[/QUOTE]
Wait a minute I thought it was the captain who he meets in ep 1 that [spoiler]killed his father[/spoiler] this guy [img]http://otakuboards.com/images/avatars/Hijikata01_DaggarIX1.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Sepiroth]Wait a minute I thought it was the captain who he meets in ep 1 that [spoiler]killed his father[/spoiler] this guy [img']http://otakuboards.com/images/avatars/Hijikata01_DaggarIX1.jpg[/img][/quote]
Yeah I pretty sure your right. [spoiler]Hijikata was the one who killed his parents.[/spoiler] That's why he is supprised in the anime when he heard the name Ichimura. Right?

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Added spoiler tags, just to be sure. I don't know the series at all but it's better to be safe than sorry, heh. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

[quote name='Sea Of Chaos666]Yeah I pretty sure your right. [spoiler]Hijikata was the one who killed his parents.[/spoiler'] That's why he is supprised in the anime when he heard the name Ichimura. Right?[/quote]
[i]Well[/i], there was a bit of controversy over that a while back, actually, but the man thought to have killed Tetsu's parents is [spoiler]Yoshida, Suzu's master[/spoiler].

Haven't made it onto the boards in a while. :animestun My bad! Although PMK still remains one of my favorite animes. I bought the second and third DVD when they came out and I think ADV is actually doing a pretty decent job with them, even if I still prefer the original seiyuus by far. I love the extras, though!

Guest Sojiro
yeah i fell in love with the manga and i really wanna see the anime, does it rival the marveled raport the manga has?

[quote name='Xx_Chaos_xX']There both great, by what i read, and there will be a other sequel when Tetsunosuke older, Right?[/quote]

Well, for one, this seems to be a repeat of your description of Shinsengumi Imon Peace Maker. Peace Maker Kurogane deals with the Shinsengumi and the Ichimura boys after the Ikedaya incedent.

The sequel you're talking about is the manga Peace Maker Kurogane. The english manga hasn't released Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker for some strange reason.

[quote name='sojiro']yeah i fell in love with the manga and i really wanna see the anime, does it rival the marveled raport the manga has?[/quote]

The Anime mainly follows the story of Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker but includes things from Peace Maker Kurogane, like the Samurai, Ryouma.

Speaking of which.
[quote name='Dagger']That's definitely the fastest normal --> oni transition I've seen yet,[/quote]
I'll have to rewatch that episode, it's been so long. A friend of mine would say that [i]all[/i] of Souji's scenes are cool. XP

-ArV

yeah, i've only seen the first episode, put i plan on watching the rest over the holiday.

when you said you suspected the opening theme song was going to become really popular, did you mean the japanese one with few english lyrics- gotta go, never give up or something along those lines. i honestly can't remember but i didn't really like it.

i really liked the series, especially the action.

• 3 weeks later...
I got volume 4 (episodes 13 through 15) at least a week ago, but due to various technical issues, I haven't yet been able to watch it. However, I did manage to browse through the production booklet. I particularly liked reading the interview with Takahiro Sakurai, Susumu's seiyuu, as I've also enjoyed his work in other series (it's hard to believe that he played Yuuri in Kyo Kara Maoh).

Anyway, one of the things he mentioned in the interview is that he had a difficult time nailing the Kansai dialect, and went to great lengths to make sure he spoke it properly. To me, this implies that having a noticeably different accent is a significant aspect of Susumu's character, and I think it goes a long way toward justifying the dub director's decision to use accents in the English version. I guess I just found that pretty interesting, because it wasn't something I really picked up on when watching PMK in Japanese.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']//snip// I think it goes a long way toward justifying the dub director's decision to use accents in the English version. I guess I just found that pretty interesting, because it wasn't something I really picked up on when watching PMK in Japanese.[/quote]

It'd probably be easier to notice if you spoke the language. ^^ I hear people mention that this character has an accent, or that character has an accent, but I can never tell because I don't know what it's supposed to sound like >.<.

I still can't get over the choice for Souji. I know it's [URL=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=7682]Braden Hunt[/URL], but I keep thinking it's [URL=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0567852/]Kevin McDonald[/URL], whose voice is one of the reasons I didn't watch Kids in the Hall.

I guess I can give it more time. Dagger-dono, do the voice actors do justice better or worse as the series progresses?

-ArV

[quote name='r2vq']I guess I can give it more time. Dagger-dono, do the voice actors do justice better or worse as the series progresses?[/quote]
I'll put it this way: It's not a dub I would recommend to people who are neither fans of the dub nor fans of the show (that is to say, those who haven't already seen it would be much better off starting with the Japanese track). At the same time, there are enough good performances to keep me watching, even though it isn't up to the level of some of ADV's other current & previous dubs.

While watching the latest set of episodes, it seemed to me that Braden Hunt was trying harder than in earlier volumes (which is actually a bad thing--I could swear that his voice goes much higher than Mitsuki Saiga's!). But I have renewed respect for Luci Christian as Tetsu, especially after hearing her as the title role in Princess Tutu. She definitely does a good job of staying within her male range without sounding strained. I don't like the way she pronounces some vowels (which is more of a pet peeve than anything else), but I think her performance does make the character seem a little less grating and abrasive than in the Japanese version.

Shinpachi, Heisuke and Sano are very well done, and their chemistry mirrors the dynamic between the corresponding seiyuu in the sub track. I really love Chris Patton as Susumu, and the woman who plays Ayu-nee also does a great job (although your mileage might vary, as she uses a heavy accent). It's funny--if a bit disconcerting--to hear Vic Mignogna (Tatsu) gripe and worry about his little brother, as he also plays Ed in FMA.

I believe the Kyoto dialect/accent (Kansai-ben) can be detected most easily by listening for -ya instead of -da, yakedo instead of dakedo, souya instead of souda, yanai instead of janai, etc. "S" sounds are often replaced by "h" sounds (which is why Akesato says Yamanami-han). Although it still wouldn't have the same impact as it would for a native speaker, I guess.

~Dagger~

• 4 months later...
For some reason I thought I had been the last person to post in this thread. Darn--if I'd bothered to check, I would have made some kind of reply a lot sooner.

Anyway, I recently worked my way through the last three volumes (I saw discs 5 & 6 back-to-back some weeks ago, and then disc 7 earlier this evening). On the subject of the dub, it improves quite a bit, as far as I'm concerned. What's odd is that the changes are extremely subtle, but they make a huge difference. Even Braden Hunt's Okita sounds markedly better on the last volume than in any of the preceding episodes.

God, I loved re-watching the end of this show. It helped that the English VAs absolutely slammed these three episodes out of the ballpark--I was sitting there in pure astonishment, wondering when Luci Christian's young boy voice had become so pitch-perfect. The foley in the battle scenes was very natural and enthusiastic sounding. In fact, the only dubbing choice which rubbed me the wrong way was that they changed [spoiler]Shinpachi's comedic "Heisuke!!" to "Heisuke, NO!", which completely clashed with his SD expression, haha.[/spoiler]

There were some more noticeable art improvements in certain scenes, such as when [spoiler]Hijikata rushes to Okita's side.[/spoiler] Add that to the fact that there's a lot more detail visible simply because it's the DVD version, and the length of time which has passed since I last saw this part of the series, and it's almost like a whole new viewing experience.

I almost melted into a puddle of fannish glee when I encountered one of the DVD extras: a long "side story" narrated by Mitsuki Saiga (with sepia-toned screencaps for the visuals). And the booklet stories were once again excellent. If I could change one thing about the final DVD, I'd find some way to get the last R2 cover on there--it's an awesome image of Tetsu, and there's a tiny glimpse of it on the spine, but that's it. Ah well... you can't have everything.

~Dagger~

I'm not sure about this dub.

As you know I've only seen the first few episodes and I didn't like it, so I'm still wondering if I should buy it. Maybe when the price goes down.

But Dagger-dono, do the last episodes really save the series? I really didn't like Souji's voice in the beginning. I know you say they were "out of the park"... but when does the good dubbing start?

On a side note How did they do with the Poetry episode?

-ArV

• 2 months later...
I have just recently had the enjoyment of being able to see the Peacemaker anime series and I enjoyed it very much. :catgirl:

Previously I had read the Peacemaker Kurogane manga. I was confused with this manga and even more confused at its relivance after watching the anime. Then I learned that it was a sequal to the manga the anime is based off of.

On that note I was wondering if anyone knows if they are ever planning on making a sequal to the anime using the Peacemaker Kurogane manga plotline. Personally I would love to see it in anime form. Suzu [spoiler]looses his mind[/spoiler] and he's one of my personal favorite charectors. Also some loose ends in the anime were never really tied up and I was wondering if they would in the anime.

If anyone has information on if there is one might be one or definitly isn't one please tell me. Thanks.

Sano99, welcome to OtakuBoards. =D
This is the forum I posted my first post too.

Yeah, [B]Peacemaker Kurogane[/B] (Anime) was based off [B]Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker[/B] (Manga) and some parts of [B]Peacemaker Kurogane[/B] (Manga).

There are a lot of loose ends in Peacemaker Kurogane (Anime), so if they never tie them up, I wont be very happy. I hope they do, but I haven't heard any news of it.

Where did you read PMK? Was it a scanlation or hard copy? I've been meaning to finish PMK but only got to the point when [spoiler]a lot of cats appear... I think it was right after the Suzu killed his master.[/spoiler]

-Arvi