OtakuBoards

Peace Maker Kurogane

Dagger

I've only actually read the first volume and that was when one of my friends bought it. I'm looking into reading the rest. Only volumes 1-3 are out from ADV manga. For the life of me I can't find it in scanlated form. The people that actually did scan it shut them all down after they were lisenced. Makes me sad. :animecry:

To answer a few of the previous questions the dub is definitely worth the buy. It's one of the most hillarious things I've seen in a long time. The poetry episode is possibly one of my favorites. It made me laugh alot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name='Dagger'] Its animation is as good as that of the Rurouni Kenshin OAVs (Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal and Samurai X: Reflection). ~Dagger~[/quote]

Are you serious its that good? Samurai X was the most beautiful looking anime Ive ever seen to hear PMK is just as good has got me really excited. I think Ill pick up the boxset.

[quote name='Grave Yard']Are you serious its that good? Samurai X was the most beautiful looking anime Ive ever seen to hear PMK is just as good has got me really excited. I think Ill pick up the boxset.[/quote]
Well, to clarify, the action [i]when there is action[/i] is quite well done. I was probably a little over-effusive in that post, haha, but I do think it reaches that level at certain points, particularly toward the end of the series. The art isn't nearly as detailed as Samurai X's, on the other hand.

PMK is very much rooted in character development--it's almost like a slice-of-life anime, except with the Shinsengumi. If you don't like the characters, you'll have a lot of problems with it. I didn't mind the protagonist, but there are people who find him to be overly shrill/bratty. On the plus side, I think the show works better when you have a lot of episodes at your fingertips... so if you are curious about it, the box set is the way to go.

If you're just looking for some really, really beautiful action, [b]Jubei-chan 2[/b] is a better choice. It comes with its share of silliness, but it has pretty much the best swordfights you'll see in anything. There's so much going on in them and they're so fast and fluid that you really have to watch them multiple times to catch everything.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
The protaganist in Peace Maker Kurogane is very annoying. He starts off very childish and even his voice is hard to get used to. As the series progresses, though, he grows and grows on you. Eventually he becomes a whole different person.
The focus may be on Tetsunosuke, but there are a whole lot of other characters to keep your mind off him if you don't like him. A lot of people I know, though, don't watch because they find the main character so annoying.

-Arvi

• 2 weeks later...
I feel a bit out of place considering what you guys have been saying. I just finished PMK and i was dissapointed with the outcome. The story was not completed and the characters did not reach their full potencial. This would be understanderble if there was another series but I am unaware of such an occurance. Sorry Guys but it had to be said. But if you do know of another series please tell because it will be a great relief because this show has massive potencial to be a great classic. :animeswea

[quote name='Sojio']I feel a bit out of place considering what you guys have been saying. I just finished PMK and i was dissapointed with the outcome. The story was not completed and the characters did not reach their full potencial. This would be understanderble if there was another series but I am unaware of such an occurance. Sorry Guys but it had to be said. But if you do know of another series please tell because it will be a great relief because this show has massive potencial to be a great classic. :animeswea[/quote]

This is probably because the anime PMK is based on the two manga (Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker and PeaceMaker Kurogane, but mostly SIPM... as already mentioned in this thread). There are some confusing bits because they sorta tossed the two together.

If you pick up the Peacemaker Kurogane manga, it sorta picks up where the anime left off. Only 3 volumes are out though (no idea if more are coming O_o; it's been ages since the release of the 3rd volume. Either ADV is taking forever, or it's been canned).

• 1 month later...
I just boguht the boxset and am up to episode 12. Im very impressed with the visuals its clean, detailed, and just plain gorgeous. I was going into the series expecting to hate Tetsu but I love him. You just have to admire his sprit. My only 2 complaints with the series is its hard to keep track of chacters names :animestun (for me anyway). And it can be a little slow at parts. Everything is building up to a main conflict. The action that is there is great. All in all I really like this series I cant wait to finish it.

• 2 weeks later...
I was browsing through some anime site and I came across this anime. I also remembered when I was asking some people about some ninja / samurai type animes and this was one of the animes mentioned. So I decided to do a little bit of research and I came across 2 familiar names mentioned in this anime. Saitoh and Okita. (couldn't find any pictures....)

My question(s) are: Are these the same Saitoh and Okita that're are suppose to be in Rurouni Kenshin? If so, is this suppose to be following what happened before Rurouni Kenshin took place? Like showing the aspects of the Shinsengumi's storyline of what happened after the revolution. (or before the revolution... either or)

If these questions have already been answered, sorry. I didn't read everything in this thread and I get lazy when it's late.

[quote name='Sting']My question(s) are: Are these the same Saitoh and Okita that're are suppose to be in Rurouni Kenshin? If so, is this suppose to be following what happened before Rurouni Kenshin took place? Like showing the aspects of the Shinsengumi's storyline of what happened after the revolution. (or before the revolution... either or)[/quote]Rurouni Kenshin and Peacemaker Kurogane has a very interesting relationship.

Most of RK takes place after the revolution (if I'm not mistaken, I haven't seen much of the series myself) and PMK takes place before the Tokugawa government collapsed. Since the two stories used whichever government was in power as the protagonist's side, it's fun to see the Shinsengumi as antagonists in one series, and the main characters the other.

To answer your question, the Okita Souji and Saitou Hajime from both series were based off the same people in real Japanese history. Since they live in different universes, they're not [i]exactly[/i] the same character, but since they're based off the same people, you could say they are the same people.

[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okita_S%C5%8Dji]Okita Souji[/URL]
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saito_Hajime]Saitou Hajime[/url]

-Arvi

• 4 weeks later...
Hmmm I just watched the first 4 epeisodes of this and I thought it was kind of a blow of what they did to the red headded kid. Fisrt they [spoiler]real him in by telling him that he connot join[/spoiler] then they [spoiler]screw him by making him a page and also making it so he can't leave.[/spoiler](that's gotta suck)

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][INDENT]Avenged666fold, I added spoiler tags to your post. Even if it's only the beginning of the series, spoilers are necessary when talking about plot elements and twists. For more information on spoilers [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=46199]click here[/URL]. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or any of the other moderators. -r2[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 8 months later...
I decided to take a stab and read the whole thread because I have an interest in the series.
[quote name='Dagger]I'll put it this way: [b]It's not a dub I would recommend to people who are neither fans of the dub nor fans of the show (that is to say, those who haven't already seen it would be much better off starting with the Japanese track).[/b'] At the same time, there are enough good performances to keep me watching, even though it isn't up to the level of some of ADV's other current & previous dubs. [/quote]
This is a scary comment... For me anyways, since I'm technically not a fan since I've never seen it, nor have I read the manga. I don't usually do the japanese tracks because I'm too lazy to pause and read and whatnot.

Like I said though, I took a sudden interest in the series because of the reviews at Anime on DVD, and right now it cost $8 a piece at Right Stuf (right up my alley for cheapness :animesmil ). And seeing that I'm in the need of something new (and I'm a sucker for samurai types), I want to know if I'd be wasting my time if I were to be buying it? People were saying that the voices don't match or whatever. I don't really mind them not matching at times, but what I do care about is if there are voices in it that will cause me to cringe? That's what normally turns me away from most animes.

[QUOTE=Phenom]
Like I said though, I took a sudden interest in the series because of the reviews at Anime on DVD, and right now it cost $8 a piece at Right Stuf (right up my alley for cheapness :animesmil ). And seeing that I'm in the need of something new (and I'm a sucker for samurai types), I want to know if I'd be wasting my time if I were to be buying it? People were saying that the voices don't match or whatever. I don't really mind them not matching at times, but what I do care about is if there are voices in it that will cause me to cringe? That's what normally turns me away from most animes.[/QUOTE]
It's not the worst dub ever; it's tolerable. It does have rough spots, though.

If you like ADV dubs, you'll recognize a lot of familiar voices, including many actresses and actors who are generally praised for their work. I still think the subbed version comes across much better, but if you don't like subs, I wouldn't let that totally kill your interest in the series.

Some things to keep in mind:

- PMK is a samurai series and has some fabulous action scenes, but it's not an action series like, say, Kenshin. It's mainly character-driven.

- The manga on which it's based is [i]very[/i] good and was recently licensed by Tokyopop. If you don't mind waiting, I would suggest getting the manga instead, since 1) that lets you sidestep the dub/sub issue, and 2) since you can take the manga at your own pace, its balance of slice-of-life material and drama might feel more natural to you than if you watch the anime version. (The manga currently being released by ADV under the PMK title is the sequel to the original manga. The license for that manga has transferred from ADV to Tokyopop, but TP has not put out their version of it yet. Yeah, the situation's a little complicated. :animeswea)

- The show completes a great character development arc but is in other respects pretty open-ended.

And a disclaimer: I don't want to scare you away, but I would feel guilty if the enthusiastic comments I've spewn throughout this thread prompted you to drop money on PMK. It's not a bad show, but the parts of it that held huge appeal for me may leave other people going "Eh?"

On the other hand, the AoD reviews take an extremely balanced approach to the show, and if they're the main part of what's gotten your interest going, then go for it. By the way, I should have mentioned this earlier, but you can hear some dub samples from the first DVD [url=http://www.dubreview.com/readreview.php?reviewid=00000208][u]here[/u][/url]. Hopefully that'll help.

ETA: Fixed my link.

~Dagger~

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Dagger']If you like ADV dubs, you'll recognize a lot of familiar voices, including many actresses and actors who are generally praised for their work. I still think the subbed version comes across much better, but if you don't like subs, I wouldn't let that totally kill your interest in the series.[/quote]
Hmm. Only ADV dub I'm really familiar with is Rurouni Kenshin, and I didn't mind the voices in that. Honestly, I'm pretty comfortable with most dubs. Only ones I get real fed up with are the ones that sound too... um, dull, hard on the ears. (BELIEVE IT... >_<) It's not the fact that I don't like subs, it's more like I grew up on dubs only, and can find most dubs tolerable. (Just incase we have some people here that gets offended about my subs comment. Thought I'd clear that up.)

[quote name='Dagger']- PMK is a samurai series and has some fabulous action scenes, but it's not an action series like, say, Kenshin. It's mainly character-driven.[/quote]
I see. I am an action fanatic, but I guess that can really be helped since I'm in the need of something new, and it's in my price range :D (Not having a job all year messed me up...) I thought I would try to get it before they ran out of copies. So I shouldn't expect action in every episode eh? I can deal with that, I think.

[quote name='Dagger']- The manga on which it's based is very good and was recently licensed by Tokyopop. If you don't mind waiting, I would suggest getting the manga instead, since 1) that lets you sidestep the dub/sub issue, and 2) since you can take the manga at your own pace, its balance of slice-of-life material and drama might feel more natural to you than if you watch the anime version. (The manga currently being released by ADV under the PMK title is the sequel to the original manga. The license for that manga has transferred from ADV to Tokyopop, but TP has not put out their version of it yet. Yeah, the situation's a little complicated. )[/quote]
I really don't mind waiting. (Although, I can get a little bit impatient at times when I place orders and they take more than 2 weeks to get to my house.) Anyways, is there any talk about a release date for those manga's?

[quote=Dagger]And a disclaimer: I don't want to scare you away, but I would feel guilty if the enthusiastic comments I've spewn throughout this thread prompted you to drop money on PMK. It's not a bad show, but the parts of it that held huge appeal for me may leave other people going "Eh?"

On the other hand, the AoD reviews take an extremely balanced approach to the show, and if they're the main part of what's gotten your interest going, then go for it. By the way, I should have mentioned this earlier, but you can hear some dub samples from the first DVD here. Hopefully that'll help.[/quote]
In some ways, your comments do prompted me into getting PMK (or would have me take an interest in the some series) mainly because I look for feedback at other forums, but most of the other forums I go to, the people there haven't seen it or would never respond, so I don't really have much to go on outside of this thread and the reviews at AoD. Thanks for the link as well.

Edit:
I just got the 1st three volumes yesterday, and so I thought I'd give my opinions about it so far. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Even though I was warned beforehand about it not having that much action, I did become a little skeptical since I am a vivid action fan. Nevertheless, without the action, the story itself, thus far seems pretty interesting.

About the voice acting. I didn't think it was all that bad. Like I said, I don't watch subs because it's not for me. And even so, I think people disregard dubs because they get high hopes after watching the subtitled version, and the voice doesn't turn out the way they expect it. And therefore, they think it's bad... "shrugs" If that made any sense at all. But that's for a different topic. Anyways, the voice acting was nice.

Now with all that being said, I can see why people can't stand Tetsunosuke because I can't stand him myself. And I can't stand kids, but I have seen worse. (Naruto) What can I say though, he's a kid. Sort of reminds me of Dennis the Menace in some ways. Just refuse to stay put.

So far my favorite character is.... Come to think of it, I don't really have one just yet. I am taking a liking to Hiikata. (sp?) I've always been into the more serious type characters. It's kind of hard for me to Saitoh's character at the moment because I'm so use to the Saitoh in Rurouni Kenshin.

Okita is an interesting character, it's just when he get's into this serious mode or whatever you want to call it, I was expecting something more serious, not something that looks err... weird and freakish. With that being said, I did like Okita's and Tetsu's sparring match on disc 3 I believe.

Overall, the anime so far is pretty good. Not a fave, but it's still good.

I like Hijikata as well. (Oh gosh, I can't wait for your reaction to episode 15, haha). Also, Okita's expressions are even more psychotic in the manga (!).

As for Saitou... the anime tends to deploy him for comedy, but he's a rather fascinating character beneath that. Definitely the Shinsengumi member with the biggest Zen factor. He gets used more in the manga--then again, everyone does, as the manga's story goes a lot further. In terms of personal philosphy and general attitude, Kenshin's Saitou is much more similar to Hijikata.

~Dagger~