OtakuBoards

The DailyOtaku

Desbreko

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=#503F86]It's great to see The Daily Otaku back again ^_^ I loved all of the articles in it- this latest one especially, heh.

Ah, it's hard for me to describe what it is exactly I like about it when it all seems so perfect. You've really got the tabloid style down and it's incredibly funny to read. Great stuff![/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Excellent, truly enjoyable, I really enjoyed the article based on Flash since it's been years since I've seen any work from him, though Warlock will always be the memorable in my books. The whole conspiracy around the deletion of the Newbie Lounge was very gripping, to the point where I interrogated James about it for almost 2 minutes, again he denied everything.

[[I]Looks forward to the next edition.[/I]][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=KarmaOfChaos][color=deeppink][size=1]I want a spam vaccine. Spam is like the digital common cold. It follows you everywhere you go, and no matter how many times you think you've gotten rid of it, it always comes back.
[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

And I bet the spam vaccine will be as common as the cootie shot. ^_~

• 1 year later...
[size=1]
The DailyOtaku iss.5
Saturday, November 12, 2005
[/size]

[center][size=3][b]Spoiler Tags Uncovered[/b][/size][/center]
Used to black out spoilers that people may not want to read, spoiler tags allow posters to talk freely about anime, games, or anything else without fear of upsetting those who haven't yet viewed the subject in question. Such a thing is quite beneficial for OtakuBoards, where all manner of things involving spoilers are discussed, and the custom vB tag was implemented some time ago. The use of spoiler tags has even become mandatory, to protect unwary readers from prematurely finding out something they wished to discover for themselves.

All of this sounds innocent enough and in the best interest of OtakuBoards' membership but, as with so many things, it seems spoiler tags may conceal a dark secret. Everyone knows spoiler tags obscure the text enclosed in them, requiring the reader to highlight it in order to be read. But is that all they do? An investigation conducted by the DailyOtaku suggests otherwise.

Recently we received a private message from a certain member of OtakuBoards (who has chosen to remain anonymous) who had, of late, been experimenting with various uses for spoiler tags. After his prolonged exposure to the tags he recorded that he felt a strong urge to enter the Otaku Lounge and write long, detailed posts expressing his opinions. Any thread would do, even if he lacked a solid opinion on the topic at hand. He wouldn't feel satisfied until he had replied to no less than half a dozen threads. This wasn't his normal behavior and he concluded that it wasn't the tags which had been experimented on, but instead, himself.

Thereafter the DailyOtaku launched a full investigation into the effects of spoiler tags. The data uncovered evidence suggesting that, in addition to blacking out text placed between spoiler tags, they also insert subliminal messages into the text. Presumably controlled by the forum administrators from their secretive admin control panel, it is thought that these messages attempt to influence the posting habits of members who read them.

The results of the tests performed in the investigation were odd to say the least. The DailyOtaku recruited some members to help with the tests and these are just some of the results of their spoiler tag overdoses: Gavin, while not affected in any other way, has lessened the number of posts he begins with, "Interesting, most interesting." Meanwhile, Baron Samedi developed an almost obsessive urge to reply to threads in the Suggestions & Feedback forum. And though we lost track of him only a short while into the test, it is suspected that Brasil is still at large on OtakuBoards, stalking the various forums for the weak and sickly arguments which he's found renewed delight in preying on. It is not recommended that members attempt any other experiments involving large doses of spoiler tags.

Predictably, neither James, Dagger, nor Desbreko would comment on the subject when questioned. James offered a bland "No comment," while Dagger dismissed us with the roll of her eyes and the remark, "I have more important things to deal with." Desbreko laughed in our faces and told us to "Stop wasting [his] time." This reporter quickly heeded the advice, still having painful memories of a previous encounter with Desbreko fresh in my nads. As well, none of the moderators offered up any information beyond pointing us to various sticky threads detailing the use of spoiler tags.

Of course, simply using the spoiler tags to influence better posting habits wouldn't be too objectionable. But the question of just how far such influence can extend, as well as whether or not it will be abused, must be asked. It may seem absurd now, but a few versions down the road, will we see OtakuBoards members become a brainwashed mass of puppets following every whim of the administrators? Those who refuse to use spoiler tags -- or, perhaps you could say, those who refuse to be assimilated -- are already being banned in consequence. If spoiler tags have the potential for further influences they could pose a danger to the membership at large.

The DailyOtaku will continue to investigate spoiler tags, attempting to find out if anything more sinister is lurking beneath their shadowy surface. Until more conclusive findings are uncovered, however, you might just want to resist highlighting those blackened blocks of text.

[COLOR=Indigo]Well that?s interesting. I had no idea that spoiler tags were dangerous. :::chuckle::: I?ll be sure to keep that in mind the next time I feel the urge to highlight the blackened blocks of text. Wait?.I think it?s too late. I already highlighted several today.

Nicely written, I discovered this thread by clicking on your link in your signature a while ago. I hope you write more of them. I especially like the one you did about the master sword. I laughed and laughed when I read that one. Excellent work. Now if you?ll excuse me, I need to go and highlight some blackened text. Till later.
[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I had a feeling we'd be seeing another DailyOtaku issue before too long, seeing your response to my revealing the age of Enter the Net. I'm glad the nefarious mystery surrounding the Spoiler Tag has finally be thrust out into the light, as to avoid other members being affected in the same way myself, Josh and Alex were. Hopefully DailyOtaku's search for the truth behind the clandestine on OtakuBoards will continue, and provide us with plenty of laughs in the meantime.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Hehe, that was awesome. ^_^ I love the newest addition to TheDailyOtau. ^_^ I can just imagine highlighting blackend out text only to be attacked by a vicious virus intent on controling me. LOL!

That was brilliant. ^_^ And like indifference, I loved the first one with the master sword. Hehehe! I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. Excellent work and I definately hope to see more in the future. ^_^[/COLOR]

[FONT=Tahoma]Awww, Baron stole the spoilertag pun *pinches him*

Dearest Des, your writing style is so crystal clear and tongue-in-cheek that it's impossible to read it without giggling like a little school boy! The almost nonchalant way you implement humour into the posts are a breath of fresh air to read. I'm sure you [I]mean[/I] it to be funny but it doesn't feel forced ^_^

Get back in the groove and spoil us rotten again, Des![/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Hehehehe! Nice addition to TheDailyOtau! ^_^ I loved it. I've read your thread before cause I clicked on your link in your signature. Hehehehe! I laughed and laughed over the master sword entry. ^_^

I think I'm going to start a [spoiler] We Love Desbreko Fan Club! :2women: ^_~ [/spoiler] So smileys are immune to spoiler tags? That's scary! lol ^_~ [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Shinji][size=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I think that you should conduct an investigation into the side effects happening to the OBer's that weren't included into your experiment. That'd be interesting, most interesting...[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]What we really need to do is found a [B]Spoilers-Anonymous[/B] group to help people overcome their addiction, I know that I've got a serious spoiler craving going on right now man and I just need one last hit before I can get clean. [spoiler]Oh yeah man that's the stuff right there. Anyway with SA we can't all get together and take down those fascistic pigs who got us all hooked in the first place, and also I can kill Shinji for stealing part of my soul with his cheap rip-off...[/spoiler] [[I]Falls asleep on a conveniently placed couch, muttering incoherently][/I][/SIZE]

• 6 months later...
Guest ChaosRifle
it would be better if you make a video kind of this. (if anyone is really any good at imaging anyways.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
[size=1]
The DailyOtaku iss.6
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
[/size]

[center][size=3][b]OtakuBoards Evolution or Revolution?[/b][/size][/center]
In the small Suggestions & Feedback forum the sparks of civil unrest were ignited within OtakuBoards on September 30, 2007, when Japan_86 posted the thread [i]A Change If You Will[/i]. The longstanding member professed that the site was too inactive compared to years past and questioned what could be done to reverse the inactivity. James, the Site Director, quickly stepped in and dismissed the thread as whining, saying, "It's that kind of stuff which makes OB lame, not the rules or anything else." Afterwards it quickly dissolved into an inane argument about inside jokes but the wheels of something more sinister were already turning.

An increasing number of members have complained about the site becoming stale and boring, and James' promises of a new and fresh design for OtakuBoards Evolution, the next upcoming version of the site, are ringing hollow in their ears. "It's one delay after another with the same old excuse," said one member who wished to remain anonymous. Another, whose name had so many numbers after it that we don't have room to print it, questioned, "srsly i setup an ezborad in 2 dayz how hrd can it b???" It's apparent that members are getting restless and that significant progress will need to be made on the new version before they'll be satisfied.

Nostalgia is also running rampant. In the [i]Ah, The Good Old Days...[/i] thread in Otaku Lounge many older members have recalled past versions and old friends, wishing they could return to those days. "I remember KKC, my partner in crime," Vicky reminisced as she told a tale of stealing Jokopoko's pants. 2007DigitalBoy on the other hand, in the [i]Views on self pleasure[/i] thread, recalled being unable to masturbate while his brother's cat was in the room. New members are often said to be what keeps forums alive, but are OtakuBoards' oldies unwilling to move on and make new friends as others depart?

And a surprising amount of old members have returned recently. Juuthena charmed members in the [i]I Forgot What You People Look Like[/i] thread with more of her fanboy-winning, self portrait photographs; Fish made a splash in Otaku Lounge when he posted his [i]Wow...[/i] thread upon returning; The Harlequin staged an appearance in the [i]Otakupedia Entries/Suggestions/Discussion[/i] thread; JCBaggee authored the aforementioned [i]Ah, The Good Old Days...[/i] thread after a long absence; Queen Asuka also popped into the thread to surprise everyone; and ImmortalGuru, previously known as Jinzouningen17, reintroduced himself in the [i]New Members: Introduce Yourselves here![/i] thread. Such an unprecedented regrouping of so many old members in so little time is odd to say the least.

On the surface all of these recent happenings might seem like mere coincidence but the DailyOtaku took a closer look, past all the spam and game threads, and uncovered what could be the biggest OtakuBoards conspiracy since [i]The Complaint[/i]. Following a tip from a concerned member, a DailyOtaku reporter crept through the darkness of the Anime Archives late last night to witness a shocking scene. In one of the many abandoned threads, illuminated by torchlight, a gathering of hooded members rallied to cries of, "Ban the newbies!" and, "Take back OtakuBoards!" Though the reporter was unable to get close enough to hear the specifics of the meeting, even that small glimpse is enough to cause alarm.

A torch-bearing mob of disgruntled oldies rising up to overthrow the OtakuBoards administration might have sounded absurd before but now it could be all too real. From the shouting overheard at the gathering their goal is presumably to purge OtakuBoards of all members deemed to be "newbies" and return OtakuBoards to its supposed golden age. It is still unclear who and how many members are in this cult of oldies and what their plans are, and the DailyOtaku cautions all members who have been registered less than four years to remain vigilant when posting at night.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Gah! *starts to panic* I haven't been here four years yet. >_< I'm so screwed! *dies laughing* I love it. Especially the image of the mob wearing hoods and bearing torches. XP Makes me think of a KKK meeting at OB!

Oh it's been far too long since you posted in this Dessy! We need more articles! I just love reading them and laughing until I'm about to pass out! :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Hehe, Beth is right, we need more of these Des! And how ironic that this coincides with Beth's Official OtakuBoards Whine Day event no less! It's a double whammy!

And the whole conspiracy bit with the members carrying torches, wearing hoods and chanting? Oh that so brings up the image of a KKK meeting. :p Purging the boards of the element that is perceived as being inferior. Great imagery there with that, as well as once again making me laugh and laugh over the whole idea.

Great stuff Des. I hope to see another article and soon. [/COLOR]

Hahaha! So this is what you were up to Des. Once this gets out, all of us who could be deemed as 'newbies' are going to be running for cover. I'm a long ways away from being able to say I've been here for more than four years. XP I still haven't reached that I've been here for one year mark.

I can just imagine torch wielding mobs showing up out of nowhere chanting 'Take back OtakuBoards!' Hehe. Especially at night when the light of the torches and the hoods hiding their faces will make them all that more intimidating. Fun stuff!

Oh and once 2007DigitalBoy reads this? Man his ego is going to explode! :p