OtakuBoards

What's a Girl Gamer to Do?

just2kawaii

Hey! I got a question for ya'll. I love videogames...dang near all videogames, but I am getting just a little bit tired of so many game directed to guys and most guys thinking a girl can't be a gamer...I'm forever having to prove that I actually can play and most times beat whom ever it is I am playing! Everytime someone sees me reading my GI mag I get strange looks, like I am doing something that is forbidden... *sigh* What's a girl gamer to do?

Lataz,
Lisha

[size=1][color=darkblue]Just keep playing. As a fellow girl gamer, I know from experience on what's it like. But I've gotten used to it, I've proved to most people I'm a great gamer. You see , I have two older brothers, they got me into video games. And ha, I'm better than them, they even admit it. It seems like I can always beat a game in a matter of a few days, so they tell all their friends how good I am. When their friends hear, the friends want me to come over and beat the game for them ^^;; Lol, it's pretty funny though. I don't mind playing games directed to boys though. That is because whenever they make a game directed to a girl it's a girly girl, easy and.... weird. Yes as you can tell, I'm a tomboy. The only games I don't like are sports games, far to boring for my taste.
So my advice, just keep playing at your best. If you challenge people and so on, I bet you can prove how good you are. Plus, why should you care what others think? It's your opinion, right? Hope that helps a little! ^^[/color][/size]

Seek comfort in the fact that with your gaming skills, you can probably attract 95% of all hardcore gaming boys. If you then just weed out the smelly ones and the ones who are too scared to talk to girls and there has to be some great material there.

I always feel bad about playing too many games in front of my GF, but if we could both play it would be awesome! I don't like monopolizing the TV and usually just wait til she goes to bed.

[size=1][COLOR=darkred]I think the fact is, that since more gamers tend to be males, more of the games are directed at the male audience. . Why take a risk and start marketing more games toward female gamers when there really isn't much of a market?

I personally know of very few female gamers. . one in particular is a fan of just about every game out there. I was surprised hearing about some of the games that she played. I feel very sorry for most of the guys out there that don't give women the time of day to test their ability at playing a game. My sister, while not a very good gamer, used to always watch us play. Thinking back, I can remember how she always wanted to play in turn with all of us. But, because we were good enough to beat level after level, it was far and few between that she would be able to play (let alone some of the other brothers that wanted a turn or two, lol)

Now, I am not sure if you are specifically looking for games with a female player, but most of Nintendo's games seem to have all audience members in mind with most of their games. I know this has been posted in the Sony forum, so, I am assuming you have a Playstation (1 or 2). Playstation and X-Box seem to have blood and violence on their minds with the games the put out. Nintendo seems to go for gameplay and overall fun with their games (Ya. . if you know me, I am a Nintendo fan, but everything I said is pretty much true)

In closing. . as for every guy out there that gives you a wierd look for reading a gaming magazine, or for every guy that doesn't think that you could be a challenging gamer. . they are just afraid. Most guys don't like to admit that women can be just as good of gamers as men, and even more don't like to admit that they have been beat by them. Sooooo, keep on gaming, you will find some games with women in mind (and I am not talking about the Mary-Kate and Ashley games. . or those embarassing Barbie games. . I mean real games!). . .*bows* I respect all gamers, female and male alike. [/size][/COLOR]

I agree with him. Most the girls that i know, are more interested in makeup or something, no offense toward the girls, but most the games end up being played by males. and plus, No offense to anyone, but most of the boys don't have anything better to do. Girls on the other hand, are more "effecient", so there tend to be less girls that like to play games. Hmm...and depends what age you are, because like the teenagers, usually they are really surprised if you play games....So i guess their opinions have to go with the variables...(age, education, personality}

Ha, like everyone else said, just keep playing (and kicking other people's butts if at all possible). I'm a girl and I enjoy video games, and while boy gamers may think it's strange, they're generally impressed if I'm good at the game.

Besides, I think girl gamers are definitely not as much of an oddity as they once were. More and more girls are getting into video games, so you don't have to feel alone or anything, either.

On the girl video games topic, I'm really not sure what kind of female-directed video games you might be looking for. I mean, let's see ... the things I enjoy that generally appeal more to a girl than to a guy are, I don't know, maybe the romantic comedy genre? And it'd be pretty darn difficult to make a romantic comedy-type video game. The only "girl" video games out there are what I personally think to be idiotic games featuring the Olsen twins or Barbie's dream house. That sucks, but I can't think of any "feminine" game with a better subject. I'd much rather play the games directed toward "guys," which I think are really directed towards all older players; the stuff with guns where you kill each other (James Bond games), or RPGs, or even hack and slash (LOTR).

Heh, it's a sexist world.. we all have to live with it.

Being a guy, I don't have to deal with this, but there seem to be more and more shooters with female characters. One of my favorites (Perfect Dark) is like James Bond with a female main character. And as Terra half said, if all else fails, kick major a--, I mean butt.

Or, if even that fails, gather a bunch of your friends and run around a walmart with signs.

[size=1][color=chocolate]Well, since I am a big girl gamer and 24/7 play video games, or do some other kind of technology stuff, I am a girl gamer and all, but no one makes fun of me for it. I've been playing since I was 2, but that's not a big whoop.

But in your case, just prove them they are wrong. Face a guy in battle..try your best and beat him. But practice too.
Like terra had mentioned, the popularity of girl gamers is getting greater and greater. So I guess you could go find some friends who are girls that like video games, practice with them, and beat boy gamers ***.[/size][/color]

Well, I'm a guy gamer, but I have absolutely no problem with girls playing videogames. And if a girl came up to me and said she could wipe the floor with me on Tekken 4, I'd be up to the challenge, and if she beat the crap out of me, I'd have no problem with it.

And I've run into plenty of guys who were just like the ones described above. And when they're being complete and utter... not-nice-guys, just beat 'em up! ;)

And that's my 2 cents. (Or 118 yen, depending on how you look at it... :D )

Okay I know exactly what you are going through.
I also am forever trying to beat and prove guys that I am the ****.
Don't sweat it keep your gaming and do what ya want.
And if they still give you a hard time challange them.

Beat my friend Tamaru at Kof and Street Fighter alpha 3 in 9 out of 11 battles 6 perfects.

thats how ya do it.

Keep on playin. I rarely meet a girl who's into video games and I find that to be a good trait for girls, in my opinion at least. Some people insult guys for gettin beat by a girl but I ignore gender when it comes to competition, so if you beat me I'll say what I say to anyone, "Wanna go one more?"

• 2 months later...
I'm a girl gamer too. I don't know why some (not all) guys think that girls can't play video games. I mean, we excel in a lot of other things, why not gaming? I think that some people think that all girls are good for is cooking and keeping house. Darn sexist world... :flaming:

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Well, here's the thing. In Japan, I'm sure there are some badass girl gamers. A whole lot, probably. But here, I'm yet to meet a girl who can pose ANY sort of a threat in whatever game I play. I WISH I could meet one, so that, first of all, I'd have another person to play with, and second, there's something sexy about a girl who can kick my *** in Smash Bros Melee.

Now, I know some girls that are casual gamers, and they're cool (yes, because they play video games :mad:). But they mostly play stuff like FFX and KH and so, once again, there's not much to do with them but wait until Mario Tennis for GCN comes out (it's pick-up-and-play).

Note: my g/f beat me in DOA3, but that doesn't count because I beat her back with my eyes closed. That game takes no skill.

Guest The Silent One
[quote name='NorykoAngelcry][size=1][COLOR=darkred]. .*bows* I respect all gamers, female and male alike. [/size'][/COLOR][/quote]

As do I, if i've ever given a strange look at a female for reading or playing an RPG, its because like you said its not very often that i see one, but its not to be mean just because i don't see many females interested in playing them.

Hey, there are plenty of games directed to girls! Just check out all those awesome Barbie games or those Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen games. I'm sure that those games are designed for girls.

But seriously, My girlfriend plays DDR all the freaking time with me. She loves it, and it provides a good workout. I would also recommend Animal Crossing and FFX-2. Those games are extremely cute and girly. I would be embarrassed if I was caught playing them. Good games, though.

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Ouch SoapyShoes. . not a fan of Animal Crossing? . . It's not a girly game! And why would you be embarassed playing it? A little insecure about your sexuality? . . just kidding around. You sound like a lot of the Playstation/X-Box fanboys; if the game doesn't have tons of blood, violence and gore, then in your eyes, it's not a game worth playing.

I kind of feel sorry for people like that, your missing out on a lot of great games because you look at the violence over the gameplay, the blood over the storyline. . Whatever though, you are allowed to play whatever you want. . go freedom! -_-

I have been going through a phase where I have not played any multiplayer games lately. . It's getting rather depressing, I miss kicking the crap out of people in all sorts of games >_<. .and on a last note. . what's wrong with Mary-Kate and Ashley games?! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='ScirosDarkblade']...there's something sexy about a girl who can kick my *** in Smash Bros Melee.[/quote]
[color=indigo]Yes, yes there is. It's too bad none of the girls I know are into gaming all that much, though. I know a few guys with which I stand on even ground in SSBM, but alas. . . .

I think that when I get a girlfriend (whenever that may be), though, she's either going to get into gaming with me or be driven away by the amount of time I spend on gaming, heh. And if it's the second case, I'll just have to try again until I can find someone that fits the first case. Yes, that's right; screw love, just give me my video games. ;)[/color]

I know random girls who like games. None of them ever seem to be ones I manage to become good friends with and only one girl I've dated was even remotely interested in games. As much as I'd like having a good gaming session with a girlfriend, it's yet to happen.

However, I've played games with enough girls that just aren't into them much to figure out what is good to start them off with and what is not. Most girls who don't know much about games don't seem to care about graphics whatsoever. They simply want something they can pick up and play and do well at on their first try. I've found that if a game seems too complicated for someone to get it from the start, they lose all interest in it. That doesn't mean it cannot get deeper as it progresses, but it needs to be intuitive.

I've had more luck with girls managing to play Pac-Man or Freeway (you're a chicken and you run across the highway dodging cars - Atari 2600 game) than I have with much of anything recent. 3D seems to throw off a lot of people if they're not used to games in that dimension.

And I realize I made some sweeping generalizations in my post here, but that's just based on my experiences.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
I've noticed that tennis games work ok (girls like tennis). Mario Tennis is the only tennis game I like in the least, and it's been ok as far as keeping girls interested. Now, I make my g/f [i]watch[/i] me play Ninja Gaiden and tell her to marvel at my ninjiness, but that's me. (Well, I offer her the controller, but of course she refuses. It's Ninja Gaiden, I mean who are we kidding?)

Anyway, yeah, I can't wait until the GCN Mario Tennis comes out so my g/f will actually play something with me that she might enjoy. She doesn't mind button-mashers like DOA3 or Soul Calibur 2, but I know that they're not any more thrilling to her than watching a random Batman cartoon with me or something.

So, in closing, I'd like to say that there's very little better than a girlfriend who doesn't mind just sitting around watching you play a random video game until it's 1 or 2 a.m (that very little being a g/f who will play Halo co-op on Legendary with me until 2 a.m.). I mean, who can refuse an evening of ninja asskicking followed by a night of good lovin'? That's right, nobody.

Yeah, my sisters play video games and look for almost every opportunity they can get to have a go, but that's just the way they were brought up I guess. I happen to know a few males who wouldn't go anywhere near games and consoles, simply because to them it's a waste of time, and would much rather spread their wings in some other way...

On the other hand games [i]have[/i] been released that are aimed at specific genders, such as Barbie and what-knot, but mostly yes, game are aimed at both males and females. If anything had to be categorized I'd have to say age difference.

Though hanging and sessioning with a girl I think I can do, but with a girl[b]friend[/b] - no way, I'd much rather watch a movie or something.

Hehe, imagine - playing Final Fantasy with your girlfriend. :p

I, honestly, love that there are girl gamers out there. Hell, I wish I new half of them! We'd make great friends!

Though I think I know why the jack***es at the video game company don't release girl games. Most girls, if you're in my school, are very VERY bubbly. This'll make it difficult to make games for the small fact that most games today are rated M for blood or violence. Then again, what's an action game without violence?

With the damn steryo types going around, they'd make another barbie game....*Shudders*

[quote]Originally posted by [b]Semjaza Azazel[/b]
[i]Most girls who don't know much about games don't seem to care about graphics whatsoever. They simply want something they can pick up and play and do well at on their first try.[/i][/quote]
Ouch. Although it's true. But that's a generalization that can be made about anything. Anybody is much more likely to enjoy something that they're good at on their first try, whether its video games or sports or whatever.

[quote]Originally posted by [b]BlueYoshi[/b]
[i]Hehe, imagine - playing Final Fantasy with your girlfriend.[/i][/quote]
Actually I was kind of pissed off (at the time, I forgot about it until just now) that I wasn't home when Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles came out, because one of my boyfriend's roommates has a GameCube and was definitely going to buy it, and I have a GameCube and was definitely going to buy it, and we both have GBAs and were excited to hook it all up and play together. But we didn't get to, and by the time I get back I'm sure he'll have beaten the game (if he hasn't already), so my dream has been shattered.

[quote]Originally posted by [b]ScirosDarkblade[/b]
[i]But here, I'm yet to meet a girl who can pose ANY sort of a threat in whatever game I play.[/i][/quote]
Um, where's "here"? I'll play you. ;)

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]:nope: Okay. Tell me. [i]Why[/i] is this such a big deal?

GIRL GAMES? Video games are just video games! Christ, people! I don't keep track of how many girls I know play video games! So what if the "majority" of them don't! There's probably a reason. Either they're simply not interested, didn't grow up with them, or would rather do something else. Almost every person (girl or boy) I ask, they say they've gotten into video games because a family member did, or they just simply grew up playing them. My sister is obssessed with Tomb Raider and Donkey Kong, and she's 17. I'm 18, and I've been playing games nonstop for 15 years and counting.

And besides, not every girl likes video games, and neither does every guy. :rolleyes: And I'm sick of all this "boy vs. girl" competition. All it consists of is button-mashing, if you strip the scenario raw. I wouldn't call that an accomplishment. Just because a guy beats a girl at a certain video game, it shouldn't really mean much (unless he's got an infantile attitude about it), and just because a girl beats a guy at a video game, it doesn't mean that she's better than him at anything else.

Simple. I don't apologize if I've burst a few bubbles.

But on the other hand, I find that almost every guy assume they're better than everyone else, and most satisfying thing is taking [i]anyone[/i] down. And I don't even boast about my abilities before or after the game, especially if I've won. I make it seem like it wasn't a big deal, because it wasn't, really.

So, yeah. There's my input. See it any way you'd like. :cool:[/color][/size]