OtakuBoards

Nintendo DS

Guest cloricus

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Well, Nintendo's release date is a bit too soon for me. With Halo 2 around(not to mention a few other games with November release dates), I'm more likely to strike oil than buy the DS any time soon. I suppose November release dates are good for the Christmas shopping season and all, but still it's a bit much.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ScirosDarkblade']Well, Nintendo's release date is a bit too soon for me. With Halo 2 around(not to mention a few other games with November release dates), I'm more likely to strike oil than buy the DS any time soon. I suppose November release dates are good for the Christmas shopping season and all, but still it's a bit much.[/quote]

I won't be buying Halo 2, but obviously there's just a metric ton of good games for all systems that month. I guess it is in Nintendo's best interest to get this thing out there before the day after Thanksgiving shopping rush. I'll be broke sadly lol.

I'll get it eventually. I'm sure it won't disappear heh.

[color=darkred]I can only hope for decent launch titles, because like everybody else, that's one of the issues that'd effect my buying the DS on the release date. The GBA's launch titles weren't very attractive... I think F-Zero Maximum Velocity was the centre of attention for me, but when that had run its course, I grew out of my GBA for a while until the next major game hit the shelves.

With that aside, it's all coming along very nicely for me, it seems. Q1 2005 doesn't seem too bad, as all the hit releases for the GCN and whatnot would have come and gone by then, so I'm happy. Metroid Prime: First Hunt has caught my eye, however, so as you can see, it's a bit give and take over here, heh.[/color]

• 1 month later...
[size=1][color=sienna]Well, it comes out November 17th, at least thats what I thought I saw on the commercial last night. I was kind of groggy. But I really looking forward to the system being released and am hoping to get it for Christmas...

If you want to find out more go here: [url]http://www.nintendo.com/ds/index.jsp[/url][/size][/color]

Frankly, I'm a bit concerned about the games. The games themselves seem great, the only problem I have is that... well, for me at least, it was the sheer simplicity of the games that made them truely enjoyable. If all we get are just simplified, smaller N64-graphic style games, then I dont think it'll be able to compete with the newer GBA, whenever that comes out. I'm hoping it wont be so, but it may very well be, which will make me sad.

Anyway, I never had a problem with the origonal GBA controls. Even though the button could only be pushed down at the edge, that didn't really bother me. I didn't ahvbe to move my thumbs or anything, I just pushed it down with the bottom of my thumb. I've always found it strange why people had trouble with them, but W/E. As for the fact that they get dirty, I had the same problem, excpet my entire system got dirty. Luckily Nintendo is imfamous for it's incredible reliabilty. I once droped my NGC (accidentily) from a high place, and the game didn't even skip.

I actualy hated the SP L/R buttons, which is why I never bought one, so I hope that the DS goes back to the good ol' GBA version. :D Regardless, I'm sure that the DS will still have the incredible reliabilty we're all fond of, and dust wont be too much of a problem.

[quote name='Sword Breaker']Frankly, I'm a bit concerned about the games. The games themselves seem great, the only problem I have is that... well, for me at least, it was the sheer simplicity of the games that made them truely enjoyable. If all we get are just simplified, smaller N64-graphic style games, then I dont think it'll be able to compete with the newer GBA, whenever that comes out. I'm hoping it wont be so, but it may very well be, which will make me sad.[/quote]

Well, if you go by Nintendo's quotes, they say this is a "third pillar" meaning it's completely independant from the Game Boy line. Now, even if the GBA2 (or whatever) comes out relatively soon, the DS still has its own quirks that make it viable in some way. Obviously any idea requiring two screens or a stylus would be impractical (more like impossible) on any normal gaming unit.

We'll see what happens. Talks of the next GBA always put it in PSP power territory, which isn't a bad thing.

[QUOTE=Semjaza Azazel]
We'll see what happens. Talks of the next GBA always put it in PSP power territory, which isn't a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]That is a really important point.

Too many people, particularly in the media, are erroneously comparing PSP and DS.

What they should (and probably will) be doing, is comparing PSP and GBA2. GBA2 will be a more direct competitor to PSP. In fact, there have been suggestions for quite some time that the machine would possibly use GCN optical discs (since they are small enough for a reasonable-sized handheld unit). Some have suggested that this was an added benefit of the format, as it could be used on more systems than GameCube alone.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
I figured I'd drop a post in this thread for no reason other than I'm bored, lol. Actually, that's not the entire reason...in fact, it's not the reason at all.

I was at Best Buy this past weekend, doing a bit of Xmas shopping and checking out the new game releases and stuff, when I turned the corner out of the PS2 aisle (don't ask me what in the hell I was doing in there, because I have no idea myself), when, suddenly, there, in the end-cap kiosk, was a peculiar-looking display of a dual screen Nintendo system. They were running a demo of Metroid Prime: Hunters. :D I literally stopped and stared. Melissa had to pinch me to get my attention, heh.

Luckily, the guy playing it there got tired of it or something, and stepped away. I furtively glanced around like Bluto in Animal House, then wrapped my hands around it and started running around, blasting Metroids.

I must say, it was [i]incredible[/i]. It's not without its little faults, though, but I blame those more on Best Buy's set-up there. The angle of the DS screens was weird, the lighting was bad, and my neck was craned at an angle. I'm incredibly impressed, though, with the DS.

The controls were actually quite good, albeit a bit weird. I was initially incredibly leery of the stylus for an FPA, but it's awesome, lol. It's literally [i]point-and-kill[/i]. Each [i]tap with the stylus on the touch screen, and you're blasting[/i]. Awesome stuff when you get the hang of it.

My criticism of this, though, is I'd have preferred being able to turn with the D-pad, instead of guiding myself with the stylus. Each time I had to turn, I shot. It's just a bit iffy...doesn't feel quite right. Strafing with the D-pad was...eh, as well. I've read there have been revamps to this, though, so that's good. ^_^

But all in all...unbelievable experience. I'm really, really impressed. :D

[color=#707875]Yeah, the problem is that you were using a different control style, Alex.

There is a scheme in Hunters that allows you to look with the stylus (ie: mouse-look), walk with the D-Pad and shoot with the L Button. ~_^

That's the cool thing about most DS games; they give you several control schemes, in both left and right handed variations.[/color]

Part of me looks at this thing and expects to be set up for disappointment. The more I read hands on impressions, though, the more I get excited for this thing. Specific game impressions at IGN, for example, just make this thing seem so fun and interesting compared to what's out there now. I look at the PSP, which is more stylish and powerful, but there's not a single game on there that really excites me. Nothing I find to be interesting or innovative, as of yet (although I want that Persona game it's getting lol).

I don't have the money right now, but I really do want to get this thing.

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1][color=royalblue]I'll end up buying the DS regardless, just not anytime soon. Most likely next year.

I dropped into GameCrazy after Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, so I could use my 17 store credits, and I almost forgot about the DS until I saw my cousin playing MP Hunters at one of the stands.

I rushed over there, watched him play it by poking his finger on the screen, then got the pen and started at it again, lol. I'm kinda-SORTA a little annoyed with that feature, because I prefer to play with my thumbs, not go on a poke-fest. (And I shudder at the thought of friends poking, prodding, dirtying my screen, lol.) :twitch:

But I liked the dual-screen, and I'm excited about the connection/multiplayer feature most. :3

But more importantly are the games. I can't wait to see if Chrono Trigger really will be released on it ! Gack...I'm getting a bit tired of that...I already have it on PSOne and SNES. x_X;; But being a lover of Chrono, I'll end up getting it anyway, lol. :p[/color][/size]

• 11 months later...
[color=darkred]The touch screen on my DS isn't working at all. Does anyone know how I can fix this without having to send it off for repairs? I tried the calibration in the settings, but since the touch screen doesn't work I can't do that lol. Also, I tried scrubbing the sides of the screen with a toothbrush as said at nintendo.com, but nothing.

The actual screen works, as games do play on it, and I can use the controller and buttons to navigate instead, but that's it.

Edit: Thank the gods for store warranty. I exchanged the broken DS for another. One problem though.... it's sliver. -_- So...

RIP Electric Blue DS (October 8th - November 19th)

I actually though ACWW would look so much better on a blue DS than a sliver. Damn.[/color]