OtakuBoards

Chrono Trigger

Chrono Magus

T his game is my second favorite Rpg (the first being ff7). I absolutely love the characters, the battle system is great, and the graphics are pretty good for a SNES game. The double and triple techs were a really cool idea. I really do love how the enemies move in the battle system and how attacks have a certain range in whihc they hit. Now that was a good idea. Crono was definantley my favorite character. He was really strong. He, Ayla, and Frog made up the best party in the game, if you ask me.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, this game gives me bitter memories. I sold it for $40, and I found out recently that the game is worth over $300.
The game is amazing, and one of my favorite SNES games ever. I got most of the endings, except for the really good one.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Turkey [/i]
[B]I sold it for $40, and I found out recently that the game is worth over $300. [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe completely sealed... but who knows. You can't really judge the worth of a game based on some rich kid splurging on ebay or something either heh.

I remember the day I bought this game. It had just came out, and back then SNES games were expensive as hell. People try to tell you that we didn't have really expensive carts until N64, but that's a bunch of crap. Target wanted $69.99 for the thing.

Well I had the money... I asked the lady to get it out, and she rang it up. It came up for $24.99. Don't ask me why. I paid her a shut up. I thought of getting more, but I was afraid it was some fluke in the system and didn't want to take a chance.

Anyway, the game is good. One of Square's better games. I always find it interesting how many people love this game, but turn around and complain about RPG length... The game could be beaten in like 12 hours, and that's with all the side quests.

The extra endings didn't really add much incentive for me... I mean, really, most are pretty useless. I did wind up finding them all though, since it honestly was fun to just check them out for yourself.

I personally preferred Chrono Cross, and I find some of people's problems with it rather strange... but what can do you.

• 3 weeks later...
[color=indigo]I've recently started playing this game (about three or four days ago), and I'm already almost all the way through it. It's just sucked me in, and I've played for hours and hours in one sitting without even realizing it. (I've looked up from it more than once and saw that it was getting light outside, heh). Now I know why so many people love this game and say it's one of the best RPGs ever, heh.

Anyway, I really like the battle system. It's a nice change from the system in the FF games, heh. The dual and triple techs really add a lot more depth to the fights. It's also kind of nice that you don't have to go into a seperate screen for combat, too.

The story is also absolutely awesome. It really drew me in, and actually made me want to keep playing after sitting and playing for hours and hours. It's also the only game I can remember to make me laugh, cry, and cheer (besides after beating a tough boss, I mean). I don't think any other game has had all three of those effects on me.

Truly a spectacular game. I just hope Chrono Cross (which I'm going to play after I'm done with Chrono Trigger) is as good. ^_^[/color]

[color=red][font=times new roman]Well I never got to play CT...Ive always heard its an amazing game but never got the opportunity to play it...

CC on the other hand I love to death and played it way too much in the past...I loved it cause there are so many ways to win it...I forgot exactly how many alternate endings there are but theres alot and most of them are pretty enjoyable...

And the huge cast of characters is really great...Theres some really great character designs and all of the chracters are quite unique...The game definetly pulls you into its world...

Id highly reccomend this game(Fav Character has to be glenn with dual einlanzher (sp?) Wicked powerful :devil: )[/color][/font]

I've never played CT for myslef, but I've watched my step-dad play it. I saw him play from the beginning to the end. With several different endings. I'm playing CC right now. It's awesome.I'm glad they cleared up one of CT's endings. [spoiler]It was the ending where Lucca and Robo find that baby with a strange jewel in the woods. Turns out that baby is CC's Kid and the jewel is the Astral Amulet.[/spoiler] CT/CC's dual/triple techs are wonderfully powerful and beutiful to the eye (I love watching Lynx's Feral Cats).

RATINGS:
CHRONO TRIGGER:
-Sound: 10/10
-Animation: 9/10 (Good for it's age and the PS version's cutscenes are cool)
-Battle System: 10/10
-Action: 10/10
-Characters: 10/10 (Gotta love the whole Frog/Glen thing)
-Story: 10/10
-Overall: 10/10

Chrono Cross:
-Sound: 10/10 (I love the Mablue Side Quest music)
-Animation: 10/10
-Battle System: 8/10 (It's a bit confusing at first)
-Action: 10/10
-Characters: 10/10 (With over 40 playable characters!)
-Story: 8/10 (It explained some plot holes of CT, but also added a lot of nonsense)
-Overall: 9.5/10

By the way, [spoiler] is Leah the daughter of that playable cave woman from CT? [/spoiler]

• 1 month later...
I played this game for the first time last summer. It was the first original RPG I ever finished.

After I had finished, I downloaded a few other Square games for the SNES, all of which fell short of my expectations. The visuals were great, and the battle system was very fluid. I can see why CTrigger was said to have pushed the SNES to its limits. No other SNES game I've ever played has come close to that kind of quality in the overall realm of gameplay, graphics, story and music.

Oh, and you gotta love the story. I couldn't wait to see what happened next. Everything unraveled just nicely.

I didn't get all of the endings, and I stopped caring after I got the ending where [spoiler]I met the game's production team[/spoiler]. I haven't played Chrono Cross yet, and I honestly don't know if I ever will. CTrigger was so fun for me, I don't want to be disappointed by the story of CCross. Eh, who am I kidding? Bring on the Chrono Cross!

[color=indigo]Heheh, I've started playing Chrono Cross finally (ended up borrowing Star Fox Adventures from a friend in between CT and CC). I'm finding it almost as fun as CT, but not quite. The story is good, but I don't like how there are so many characters. They don't go as in-depth with their back story, and it's annoying having to change around your elements (magic) every time you want to swap one out.

The battle system is quite fun, however. I do actually like the element system; it's only annoying if you want to be swapping characters a lot. (Which I do as little of as I can). I'd say the battle system is as good as Chrono Trigger's, though it's totally different. Heck, I've never seen anything like it before--I guess that's part of why I like it.

So yeah, I'm loving Chrono Cross, but I don't think it's going to live up to Chrono Trigger. At least not for me, anyway. About half the people that I've talked to about it prefer CT, and the other half prefer CC.[/color]

Finally, someone who shares my opinion on CC (though personally, I still hold that CT is better than CC). CC's music and battle systems were great (except for the element switching, yeah), but the story line went every which way but in an understandable manner, and though it was fun with so many characters, it was also annoying (musta been during the Pokémon craze. @_@)

That Jewel ending in CT on Playstation isn't even in the SNES one. It has a few new endings, which I assume were created with CC in mind.

Anyway, you don't even need to make use of a good deal of those characters in CC. The back story of most of the characters in CT could be completely summed up in about three sentences as it is. It's not as though they're all that much deeper.

I feel that the more important ones in CC were explained plenty, while still giving you some other random characters to mess around with if you wished. Not all of them need to have a rich history of why they are willing to join your cause, in my opinion. There are about a dozen of them, at least, that are well explained and are most likely the ones you'll stick with anyway.

The story in CC made perfect sense to me, honestly. I don't get the confusion. The story is good and fully realized. You just have to look for a lot of links and extra things the game doesn't throw right into your face.

[color=indigo]Yeah, so far the story hasn't been confusing for me. It's just been leaving me with lots of questions that slowly get answered as I progress through the game. But that's part of what keeps me playing, so it's not a bad thing. ^_^

And yeah, I do try and stick with a set party of my favorite characters as much as I can, so there hasn't been too much annoyance at having to swap around Elements a lot. But still, some of the characters just feel tacked on for no real purpose. Like Poshul--I mean, what the heck is up with her? She's a pink, talking dog thing that joins your party because you give her a bone, lol. (Though I do have to admit, they did get pretty creative with some of the character designs).

Right now I'm just about to head to Marbule, and I'm using [spoiler]Lynx[/spoiler], Norris, and Radius. And I'm wishing I could get Razzly to rejoin, to replace Radius. She's the best magic user I've found so far, and I also just like fairies. Plus I find a guilty pleasure in letting her beat things to death with an Iron Rod. :naughty:[/color]

Don't get me wrong--I do like CC, but there were some elements laid on too thick, some not thick enough, and the [spoiler]mentions of the CT characters, while nice, were also tacked on.[/spoiler] Or maybe I just didn't like how they messed with them in the second game--[spoiler]it made the first game's entire storyline[/spoiler] look like the characters had done something wrong. Whoopee for Japanese dramatics, if that is it. *mutters darkly and without reserve*

Some character designs were awesome, some were strange, some we seriously could have done without *cough*KORCHA*cough*. Same as some characters were awesome, some were useful, and some were completely pointless.

Maybe it was a sluggish storyline, maybe it was a boring one. I dunno, but given what was included in it, I felt it could have gripped me a lot better than it did. I liked the two worlds, and I liked the idea of the [spoiler]"six" Dragon Gods[/spoiler] even better. My only real confusion is how Serge played a part into that whole mess at [spoiler]Chronopolis[/spoiler]. That was one of those laid on too thick moments and I got lost in all the plot hurled at me at once.

Oh yes, the constant slaughter of animals (not random monsters, but stuff like baby Komodos and [spoiler]mother Hydras[/spoiler]) and the constant tirade about nature being destroyed--irked me all the fricking way through. More Japanese dramatics? *grumble grumble*

Bweh, my thoughts. Opinions. I'm [i]allowed[/i] to have them, remember. ;)

This game is less dramatic than any FF Square has put out in recent years, I think. I still think FFX was incredibly goofy. So by comparison, I can't really jump on the writing. It explains everything well in my opinion (you mainly have to read every last text area in the game). I also thought the references to CT, while a bit sudden, were decently done and made sense. I had no problem at the time.

Personally, I thought this was the best game Square had put out in god knows how long. I prefer it to CT a great deal.

Of course, this is opinion... and if people like CT more, I think it's very understandable. They're both great games lol.

[color=#707875]I didn't play all the way through CC, so maybe my perspective isn't as well-rounded on it.

In fact, I barely even remember the story. lol

I had borrowed the game from a friend and given it back about a week later...but I was very disappointed to do so. I've never bought it, but it was an RPG that really grabbed my interest.

I must stay that I preferred CC to FFX in most ways, except the battle system. I've never played a game where I've enjoyed battles so much, as in FFX. I just feel that FFX got the formula so damn right in that regard. ~_^

Although, I preferred CC's battle system to the one in FFVII, for example. So it wasn't all negative, as such.

I agree with Tony to the extent that FFX was goofy in quite a few areas. In fact...I really didn't enjoy the FFX story at all. It just seems so cliche and boring. So many of the characters were flat and lifeless...the whole thing just seemed tired to me. I was dying to forward through a lot of the talking in the game, because it bored me to death. I actually played the game primarily for the battles and little else.

Now, if only I could get a FFVII-2 with FFVII's story, CC's music and characters and FFX's battle system. Am I crazy? Yes. Crazy like a fox.[/color]

Heh, even though everything has been said already, I can't resist posting in here because I'm a huge Chrono fan.

To me, Trigger was undoubtedly the better of the two. I loved the End of Time, for one thing. (I think that's what it was called, anyway ...) I thought it was much better than the two different worlds in Cross, because they looked so darn similar I [i]always[/i] forgot which world I was in. If I went back to Cross after a break of a couple weeks, I was generally rather lost and it took me a while to figure out what to do next. Maybe I just have too simple of a mind or something.

I also thought there were way too many characters in Cross. I mean ... it was ridiculous, plus the fact you couldn't get them all in one go. (And, it wasn't interesting enough for me to want to play the game twice in order to get the characters I'd missed.) Generally in RPGs, I like playing all of my characters equally, even if I have a few favorites, but it was impossible in Cross, not to mention the hassle of the Element-switching. I ended up just using four or five of them, which I hate having to do :p. It annoyed me when my favorite characters were the same element color, too, so I didn't want to play them at the same time.

The characters in Trigger, on the other hand, were much fewer in number, but more high-quality. The Double and Triple Techs, as previously mentioned, added a [i]ton[/i] to the game. The Double Techs in Cross (or their equivalents, I don't know what they were really called) were pretty much useless! ... at least in my experience with them.

Er ... Yeah. Hm, it ended up being a bit of a rant on Chrono Cross. My bad.

[color=indigo]You know, I'd heard that there were double tech sorts of things in CC, but I haven't gotten any yet--at least not that I know of. And I just turned [spoiler]Lynx back into Serge[/spoiler], so I figure I'm pretty far in the game. How do you get them?

And it annoys me how there are so few good characters that are innately red. I liked my team of Serge, Kid, and Razzly, with white, red, and green. Now I'm using Norris, who's yellow, instead of Kid, but I want another good red character.[/color]

Yeah, the thing about double techs in CC is that you never really find out you have them. Basically, if two characters who have a double tech together are powered up to a sufficiently high element, and both of them are ready to fight, then the Double Tech comes up as an option in their element screens.

For example, if [spoiler]Serge and Glenn are both powered up to their Level 3 element, and both are ready to fight, their Level 3 Elements instead is named "X Slash," and if you select it it's a combo.[/spoiler]

Hm, I just looked them up out of curiosity and apparently there are Triple Techs as well ... Anyway, as far as I know there's nothing in the game that tells you which characters have combos, so unless you want to semi-cheat and look them up I guess you have to try randomly. Perhaps I missed something, though ... Well, here's a [url=http://www.ffextreme.com/cc/combos.php]site with the list of combos[/url] if you're immoral like I am.

On another topic, eventually I decided the whole Elements system stopped mattering because my characters were powerful to beat bad guys even at an Element disadvantage :p. Which I also didn't like about the game.

Everything terra said I agree with. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. ^^ (Double Techs, the character problems, everything.)

The one place CC excelled over CT was the music. Oh my [i]gaw![/i] the music was beatiful! Both had very well done soundtracks, but CC was just...wow.

If there does, for some reason or other beyond imagination, turn out to be a third Chrono game, I do hope they fix the problems that CC experienced (I can't really think of any that CT had).

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I thought Chrono Trigger beat out Chrono Cross. CT is just such a unique, original game, and the battle system is a ton of fun.

My favorite part was definitely getting Magus to join the party (Dark Matter= awesome, awesome attack). I just wish that there was a Triple Tech for every single possible party.

I never played FFX, mainly because I heard that it didn't compare to any of the other Final Fantasys. So I can't really comment on its quality. Oh well.

~Dagger~

Hmm...I did enjoy both games, but like the majority of people here, I preferred CT over CC (but not by much).

CT I liked because of the notion of time travel and the changes in your past affecting the future. However, that was not given as much depth and credit as it should have, in my opinion. In CT, you do stuff like [spoiler]go to the future by accident and find out it's been destroyed, or go back in time to save Crono by replacing him with a doll,[/spoiler] but I didn't find that they had added much of a story to that.

On the other hand, I liked CC because it made the concept of changing the future into more of a story. After playing it, I found that CT did not have much history to it: [spoiler]you're just a kid caught in some unbelievable circumstance, and you learn about some of your friends being royalty, etc.[/spoiler] However, there really isn't much to know about the characters. In CC, you learn much more about Serge's and Kid's past, as well as who they really are. Also, you learn about some of the events that take place after the CT team finishes their story. (GinnyLyn's comment about the "Nadia's Bell") I didn't think it made the CT group look bad, it just showed that [spoiler]no matter what you do, wether or you believe it is for the good of humanity, there is always a consequence following your action.[/spoiler]

On the other hand, the battle system, the hidden items and weapons, the characters, everything else I prefer in CT rather than CC. The story was CC's strongest point, but everything else goes to CT.

Oh, and someone asked if Leah (CC) was related to Ayla (CT). It looks that way, but there is really no concrete evidence to prove that the two are related, they just look very, very similar.

I never thought not being able to get all the characters in one go was a big deal. It gives the game replay value, first of all. On top of that, to get some of them, you go through totally different story arcs. It's worth the time, in my opinion.

I agree about the techs to an extent. Pulling them off was almost random because unless you really paid attention, you never really knew when you'd be able to pull one off. It's like that in Persona as well... It first randomly decides if it should even give you the option, and then you can do it. Rather than likei n CT where you just could pick from a list right then and there. It was always obvious.

Otherwise, I agree with Wondershot's points honestly. They, for me, are enough to knock CT below CC. Especially the characterization. CT had almost none. It had its charm, but I think overall CC beats it out in the details it gives for the important characters. The other random guys are just for choice and fun, I don't see the big deal behind their inclusion.

I liked the element field aspect. It added a whole new tactical element to battles that I've not really seen before. It was pulled off well in my opinion, and I was able to use it to my advantage once I understood it. I don't see how you can fault the game for having monsters that you could easily beat when you obviously had them leveled up rather high. It would be the same case in almost any RPG. CT was no different.

My only problem with CC was the way the game makes you do a certain thing in the last battle to get the best ending. It's hinted to in the game, but I never felt it was made obvious enough. I did it easily, but I don't know how the average person would even know to try it.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, you really have to think outside the box, so to speak, in order to finish the last battle by [spoiler]using the Chrono Cross technique.[/spoiler]

If you pay attention, [spoiler]you hear music playing in the "crystal room" of Terra Tower, and, after you beat the water-element guy, you hear the music again, and you see the order of the colors necessary to play the music. If you take note of that, in addition to the CT group mentioning something about playing a song, then you can use the Chrono Cross to finish the game.[/spoiler] It is extremely difficult, though, since you have to [spoiler]know when to use the right elements,[/spoiler] but it does give you a different ending, and it is a challenge that most hardcore RPGers would love to achieve.

Considering when the game came out, I always thought Chrono Trigger was ahead of its time. It was so addictive, the storyline was amazing, the graphics were great, and...God. There are just no words.
Beat the pants off of Chrono Cross, that's for sure. But then, I may just be biased.

• 1 month later...
well guys this is kinda lame but the game was no chalange to me and alltho i did like it but goodness it had some good points but i loved the last fight well guys i hope to see more of chrono witch meens time i never got that well uh...................