OtakuBoards

Chrono Trigger

Chrono Magus

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=1] Did I already post in this thread?

Who cares.

All that matters is this is one of the best games of all time, and I seriously mean that.

If you don't love it and worship it like a crazed pagan, then you should. And if you haven't sacrificed enough of your life playing its very granduer, then I believe you should.

I love this game. Probably love it like I'll love some good woman some day, or some good ole dog.

Great, great game.[/size]

• 2 months later...
[color=indigo]The next thing you need to do is go to Magus' Castle. To get over to the other land mass that it's on, you'll need to go through a tunnel, the entrace to which can be found in some mountains on the eastern side of the continent you're on. (Just head right from the mountains where you got the Masamune). I don't think it brings up any text when you first go up to them, but just hit the button anyway and if you're in the right spot in front of them on the overworld you'll go onto a screen with a rock wall. Frog'll then cleave open the wall with the Masamune to reveal the cave entrance.[/color]

The castle inside is hard to navigate but at lvls 20 and up, Flea (is this person a guy or woman?) is very weak against physical attacks. One hit should kill him/her. BUt then he/she uses MP Buster on the character who beat him/her the first time. He/she is then very weak against physical attacks again. Use no magic but use other techs. Against Slash, use magic. Heal when nessecary. He'll get his sword down after a bit. He gets a lot stronger then. Finally, Magus. Use Crono, Lucca, and Frog. He has a shield that is only vulnerable to one element: Fire, Lightning, Water/Ice, Darkness. When he uses a dark shield, attack him with Frog and the Masamune. His PHYSICAL defense will go down. Then he will switch shields every time you attack with a magic attack. Near his defeat, he will stick with one shield and cast magic on you. Have Frog attack while Lucca and Crono use magic, depending on the shield. Soon, he will be dead. EXTRA: Lose to him to see one of the 14 endings in Crono Trigger(Playstation ver.)

• 6 months later...
hey has any one played, beated, and REMEMBER hoe to get through Chrono Trigger because I'm soooo stuck on ONE part and It's probably the easiest thing in the world but every gamer knows that those ar ethe things that get us right? so, can anyone hep me out here?

the place is when your trying to find the ship tht goes through times and you have to go throught the sewer accsess....I can't get through the sewer........pathetic, i know.

[size=1][color=blue]I merged the threads. Next time, do a quick search before making a new thread. Thanks. - Shinmaru[/size][/color]

W00t. CT is da bomb. gattist ame evr.

Ahem. Sorry about that. CT is the greatest game ever in my opinion. I love the way how the battles worked. It was completely a choice of yours to fight any monster. My favorite part in the game is when you are [spoiler] Brought to court for kidnapping the princess. But when you are trialed you can be proven innocent. But then you suspect something fishy about the old man who says your quilty to the guard. In the end I made that old S.O.B. die in a horrific death ^_^ [/spoiler]

My favorite realisation in that game is Akira Torriamma (Sp?) is in the game as a designer. For those who do not know who that is. He is the Father of DBZ!

I love chrono trigger!

I did hear of a rumor that a title called "Chrono Break" was liscenced at the same time as FF XII. Weather it's a sequal or an entirely different game is completely guesswork, but apparently they ran into some trouble because the naem had already been liscenced. But who knows?

[color=indigo]Yeah, there's been rumors of a sequel to CT/CC called Chrono Break, but that's all they are so far. There's a thread about it which you can find [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=37259][u]here[/u][/url], that has pretty much all there is to know in it. If anyone wants to talk about the rumors or what you think about a sequel, please use that thread; this one is for discussing Chrono Trigger specifically. Thanks. ^_^[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1][color=purple]*gives Mitch a funny look* -_o ;

This game started me on RPGs back in '98-'99. Before that I just watched my brother play the SNES ones, or heard the BGM playing as I meandered about the house (he has a thing for turning up the TV). Now that I have those games myself, I get fuzzy feelings of nostalgia. #^.^# Both Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger remind me of our seemingly always-sunny living room back when we lived at our old house, and I was in grade school still playing SNES/NES games, or whatever else was on hand (but not RPGs until, like, 8th grade+).

But Chrono Trigger didn't have an impact on me like FFVII did, but what makes the game memorable for me was the graphics and the music. I'm starting to miss hand-drawn graphics, so I'm trying to get the RPGs that have'em just in case they go totally extinct. They're like valuable gems to me. ^.^ And the music is just too good to describe! :love:

But as time passed the video store quit renting out SNES games (and trust me, they had the RPGs, too) and sold them (the only RPG I managed to snag was Breath of Fire. *shakes fist*), I lost my hold on Chrono Trigger, and my mind broke away from the SNES as the PSOne started cranking out RPGs by the a**loads. Over that period of time, I kinda lost track of Chrono (about 1 to 3 years), until FF Chronicles was released and I borrowed it from a friend and behold. . .

. . .Chrono was back! :love:

As for the new cutscenes, I was not disappointed with the quality at all. In fact, I wish there were more of them. But y'know what disappointed me more than anything?!?! [spoiler]There was NO cutscene at all when Chrono was brought back to life, and Lucca was crying over him![/spoiler] T_T That's, like, the positive equivalent of [spoiler]Aerth's death!![/spoiler] ;_; Or something like that. o.O;[/color][/size]

I started playing Chrono Trigger a few days ago, and I'm just about at the end of the game. I've done pretty much everything that you can do through your first run in the game - [spoiler]I'm going to head to the Black Omen, which is the last sidequest I need to finish off. After that, I'll be fighting Lavos and I'll enjoy whatever ending I end up getting lol.[/spoiler]

Anyway, I like the game quite a bit, and of the games I've played that Square made for the Super Nintendo, it's my favorite (I've still yet to play Final Fantasy IV and Secret of Mana, for those who care). The storyline is good, the characters are decent enough, the battle system is good, the music is great. Chrono Trigger is just a good game. Like a lot of Square's games, I think it's a [i]tad[/i] overrated, but whatever. I've still enjoyed it quite a bit.

I have a couple complaints, though...I'll wait to see if anything in the Black Omen gives me a run for my money, but thus far, none of the bosses or anything has presented an exceptional challenge. A few of them take a while to beat, but there's not as much strategy involved with the fights as I would have liked, outside of deciding which tech attacks you want to use.

Also, the game is pretty short for an RPG, but I guess that's understandable, since the extra endings are meant to give the game a lot of replay value. That probably wouldn't have gone over as well if the game were a 30-40 hour epic that you had to replay every time to unlock all the endings.

As for my favorite moment...well, it's not [spoiler]Crono dying[/spoiler], which seems to be the popular choice; both of my favorite moments involve Magus. My second favorite was [spoiler]when he tells you his backstory and you realize that he's Janus. That was a genuine 'whoa' moment for me, heh.[/spoiler] I also loved the first time you fight Magus in his castle. The blue flames lighting up, the darkness gradually receding, Magus standing with his back to you, the camera pans slightly, then you battle him and Magus's awesome, awesome theme starts up. That was just a really, really cool moment, for me. If you couldn't tell, Magus is my favorite character lol. Frog is a close second. I liked the whole backstory that connects Frog and Magus.

I haven't played enough of Chrono Cross to get a really solid opinion of it. I rented it a couple of years ago, but I didn't get very far into the game, which was unfortunate. I liked what I played, though.

Chrono Cross is a FAR better game as far as I'm concerned. You'd do well to give it another chance.

The whole extra ending thing is rather lame as it is. Many of them aren't true "endings" and most of them aren't even remotely interesting. There's really only a couple that are worth even attempting to get. That whole ending thing is insanely overrated. Other games have managed to have many seperate endings and keep them interesting... I think this game failed in that regard.

[QUOTE=Semjaza Azazel]Chrono Cross is a FAR better game as far as I'm concerned. You'd do well to give it another chance.

The whole extra ending thing is rather lame as it is. Many of them aren't true "endings" and most of them aren't even remotely interesting. There's really only a couple that are worth even attempting to get. That whole ending thing is insanely overrated. Other games have managed to have many seperate endings and keep them interesting... I think this game failed in that regard.[/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=purple]I wholeheartedly agree!! Especially in Chrono Chross.

My favorite song from that game is the song you hear when you enter the magic training room at The End of Time, lol. I just think it's a cute song. That, and Robo's Theme (but it gets a bit repetitive after a while, lol). :love:[/color][/size]

[color=#4B0082]Well, the thing about getting all the endings, is that you don't have to play all the way through the game to beat it and get another ending. Actually, you can beat the game right at the very beginning on a new game + file. (Good luck if it's only your first time on a new game +, though. And there's a much easier, alternative method for getting that ending anyway.) So it's not like you even have to spend 10 or so hours for each ending.

But still, I didn't really find anything wrong with the game's length. I spent about 20 hours on the game my first time through, and another 10 or so on my second. (It does go a lot faster on a new game + file.) I think that's plenty long for a SNES RPG, though I do tend to takes RPGs somewhat slower than other people. Kept me occupied for a good few weeks, at any rate.

Oh, and Serena, did you mean [spoiler]Marle crying over Crono when he's revived,[/spoiler] or is that an alternate scenario thing that I'm not aware of? Both times I played through, it was Marle. ... But then again, I've always used Marle more than Lucca.

I mainly keep Marle in my party as much as I can because of her cure spells and haste spell. One time I pulled off three Arc Impulse triple techs with Crono, Frog, and Marle against [spoiler]the last form of[/spoiler] Lavos, uninterrupted, because of haste. I think the combined damage was somewhere around 10,000. That was just awesome, heh.[/color]

[quote name='DarknessSin']I got chrono trigger......beat it like...100 TIMES!!!! its still good :laugh:[/quote]

I think that you need to work on your post quality a bit. Merely saying that you've beaten Chrono Trigger a hundred times and that it's still good isn't really contributing to the thread in a positive manner. Perhaps you could explain exactly [i]why[/i] Chrono Trigger stays so good and fresh after you've played it so many times? We'd be getting somewhere with that.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Do to the fact that I'm a total nerd, and am obsessed with video Game history, i got my hands on a Super Nintendo, and a few games, one being Crono Trigger. So go ahead, share your memories. I haven't beaten it yet. I got to the part where you get magic, then you go to your own timeand verse the boss in that cave. After 4 hours of play, my file mysteriously dissapeared. Meh. I'll never forget the battle against the six blue robots who beat the crap out of poor Robo..... sad moment. Personally, my favorite charachter is Frog. :tasty:

• 2 weeks later...
Allrighty, I do agree that Chrono Trigger was probably ONE of the best games ever made by RPG standards. As for those of you talking about certain attributes that should've changed...

[spoiler]Chrono's death - an ending where he stays dead
Schala's life or death status proven[/spoiler]

Allright, fair enough, I can see where the brooding on this exists, however, consider this. The makers of Chrono Trigger allready had the ideas for Chrono Cross in the making. Of course it took them a long time of breaks and such, and legal mumbo jumbo with Akira Toriyama, but regardless..

Think about this:

[spoiler]Chrono Cross's series of final bosses INCLUDES LAVOS WITH SCHALA ON TOP! Clearly this is indicitive of the time cross ( hint ) in the game. Schala stayed alive because Lavos kept her for power, her being the only living source that matched the power of Queen Zeal after you chop the old hag in half.

Okay.. as for Chrono. His "meaningless death" may seem trivial, but he needed to come back in order for the situation of Fate to occur in Chrono Cross.[/spoiler]

[color=#4B0082]Added spoiler tags again. Please remember to use them in the future. You can find instructions on how to use them [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=40627][u]here[/u][/url]. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

• 3 years later...
[COLOR="Navy"]A Revival =D

I'm playing this game from the Final Fantasy Chronicles thingy. I just started really, so I'm not far at all. I just recently got Frog, and I got 2 Techs for Crono, Frog, and Lucca so far. All of them are at level 7.

I think it's pretty straight-forward so far. Storywise, I don't know, I haven't been paying much attention to it =p. I can understand why everyone likes this game, in terms of gameplay, though. It's the same as FFVII, FFVIII, but at the same time, it's really different from the FF series. (Does that make sense? lol)

I thought I would have some major issues with the graphics because I'm such a graphic freak, but that's not the case at all. The 2D sprites are actually growing onto me bit by bit. (And I should get use to it since I'm going back to play my 2D fighting games.)

I do like the anime intro. Music so far is decent. Nothing mindblowing, and a few that can put me to sleep.

Playing this game has put me in the mood to play Dragon Quest VIII. (Mainly because I like Akira's artwork and character designs) I've never played the game, although, I did have it at one point, but I got tired of RPG's and ended up trading it in. I'll get it back along with my ps2. My God brother is suppose to be giving me one of his ps2's. Lucky me =).

My only gripe with this game so far has to be the loading, and it's only a minor issue. Sometimes, it makes me think my game froze. (or is scratched)

I look forward to seeing how this game turns out.
[/COLOR]

Yeah, the loading is terrible in Chrono Trigger, and the game slows down a lot, as well. For me, the worst is when you're fighting [spoiler]Queen Zeal[/spoiler] and the battle is like five times longer than it should be, because the slowdown drags everything to a crawl.

It's much better in Final Fantasy IV, but then again, it takes 5,000 years to save in that game, so I guess there's a trade off. There are the same problems in Final Fantasy Anthology, too, unfortunately. :(

[quote name='Tombstone;800454][COLOR="Navy"]Playing this game has put me in the mood to play Dragon Quest VIII. (Mainly because I like Akira's artwork and character designs) I've never played the game, although, I did have it at one point, but I got tired of RPG's and ended up trading it in. I'll get it back along with my ps2. My God brother is suppose to be giving me one of his ps2's. Lucky me =).[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Definitely play Dragon Quest VIII, I have yet to finish it since I'm playing something else at the moment, but it's fantastic. It will be easier to simply show you this instead of typing up all the reasons why you should play this game:[QUOTE=Semjaza'][list]
[*]The game is absolutely gorgeous and captures Akira Toriyama's character designs well for the first time
[*]A lot of people hated the first person battles of the previous titles. In this game, choices are made in first person, but the battle itself is fully animated in third person. Looks great.
[*]TDungeons are large, but not needlessly mazelike. Their design makes more realworld sense than what is present in titles such as Shin Megami Tensei.
[*]The battle system is very traditional, but fast paced. The addition of a new Skill system and the Psyche Up command add to the battles, as does the fact that enemy HP is slightly randomized.
[*]The game has a full night/day cycle. It progresses at a slower rate than the past games, but you can stay at an Inn until evening if you wish. Some scenes, dialogue and so forth only occur at night.
[*]In the US version, the music is fully orchestrated.
[*]In the US version, major cutscenes have full voice overs. The Japanese version had none. The voices are great overall and suitably cartoony.
[*]The menu system has been spruced up graphically and modernized for US release.
[*]The game has an insane sense of scale and the world map and towns reflect this. In this sense, it's more reminiscent of Zelda than most other RPGs out there.
[*]The main storyline is pretty basic fare, but the pacing is very good. The characters, in turn, are just fun and likable. They develop well over time.
[/list] [/QUOTE]It's everything that says and more, which only serves to remind me that I really need to go back and actually finish this game.[quote name='Tombstone'][COLOR="Navy"]My only gripe with this game so far has to be the loading, and it's only a minor issue. Sometimes, it makes me think my game froze. (or is scratched)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]As far as I know the load time is normal, it does the same for me and for everyone I know who has the game for the ps1. After a while you just get use to it, though after playing something else for a while and coming back to it... The load time seems pathetically slow again. XP

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]*Testing to see what color I want*

Anyways, thought I'd give an update, and another opinion about the game. I'm currently at some Icy place, or rather, I have any icy map =). My current party is Chrono - 32, Marle - 30, Ayla - 30 (each one might be up 1 level... I just forgot.)

I've seen some triple tech's, and more dual tech's. All of them looks good, but I think my favorite so far is the Falcon Toss/Throw, forgot the name =p.

I fault Magus (obviously), and Dark Matter (?) is a scary attack =).

[size=1]It's official, I've fallen for this game even though I still haven't paid much attention to the storyline =D.[/size]

I know it's against some folks rule, but I wouldn't mind seeing a remake (perhaps on the PS2). Seeing how I like graphics, I would like to see some of these techs in 3D.

Edit: Oh yeah

[quote name='Rach']Definitely play Dragon Quest VIII, I have yet to finish it since I'm playing something else at the moment, but it's fantastic. It will be easier to simply show you this instead of typing up all the reasons why you should play this game:[/quote]
I've had my eyes set on DQVIII since I've read Semjaza's post last week.
[/COLOR]

EDIT 2:

[COLOR=Navy]So I just beat Chrono Trigger yesterday. I would've beaten it sooner, but I had to take a break from it for a little bit. Didn't want to tire myself out on it. It's a lot shorter than I expected, as well as easy. Then again, I did spend a lot of time leveling up.

I got the ending [spoiler]with Crono and Marle getting married and Crono's cat and mom jumping into the time gate thing.[/spoiler]

As I said, it was easy, although one boss kept getting on my nerves. That mother brain (I think.) Located in 2300 A.D. (Robo's sidequest) That's because I was trying to charm... something (can't remember) from them monitors. I know she was increasing her attacks, or was she lowering my defenses? And then I don't know if she was lowering my attacks or increasing her defenses. Either way, I wasn't doing much damage. (Until I decided to restart the fight and skip the charming altogether.)

One thing I hated, though, was once I acquired Magus, people were still talking as if he wasn't there. I would've preferred some frightening/threatening response, but I didn't get anything.

I like majority of the techs with Luminare and Dark Matter being my favorites (Triple Kick is also nice.), although I found 2 of them to be really dumb. Frog's giant frog, and Ayla's dino tail.

I like all the characters. Even though I only used Crono, Magus, Marle and Ayla over everyone else.

I may attempt Chrono Cross again some day, but at the moment, I'm not really interested in it. (That game made me lose interest in RPG's... don't ask.)[/Color]

• 1 year later...
One year later, and Chrono Trigger has been rereleased on the DS!

I just got the game this Christmas as a gift for myself, and have been playing it in my spare time. I haven't played Chrono Trigger is [i]years[/i], and I'm glad to see the Playstation's animated cutscenes have also been ported over. I played the classic SNES version, so I'd never seen the videos before.

This game is just as fun as I remember it, but I still found myself making the exact same mistake I made back then: I couldn't save Lucca's mom from the lab accident. Once again, that's a mistake I'll have to rectify during New Game +.

This is the game that got me started on playing RPGs. It is also the first RPG I bought. Every other one up to that point was just rentals.

Anyway, the game is great and I am so happy they remade it for the DS. Everyone should get to experiance this gem of a game.