24 members have voted

1. 1. Which ones cooler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=SasukeUchiha]Who watches Naruto here ^^
Its probably my favorite anime.
Newho, I just wanted to see what other people thought about it if they had seen it. And I wanted to ask if neone knows where I can check on the licensing of the DVDS? Meaning to see if they plan to realease them.

Thnx ^^

Preston[/QUOTE]
I have to agree with you. Naruto is my favorite anime "currentally". I watched It for the first time 6 months ago and I'm on episode 100! I really want to see the rest. Its so good that I'll end up buying it in japanese.Never english, their voices suck and they cut alot of my favorite parts like the nose bleeds and blood and the KISS :animecry: ! He.. He.. I'm a yaoi fan. :animesigh

This thread is to see what style is best of Naruto. Do you like the manga style of Naruto, the Japanese anime, or the Enlish subbed version of the anime series. In my opinion I enjoy the japanese anime the best, the manga second, and English version dead [U][B]LAST[/B][/U]. After reading the manga, i checked out the japanese anime myself and i really enjoyed it. Foolishly thinking that when the American version comes out it would be equal to the japanese anime.

Little did i know they edited detail such as blood and some very inspiring scenes that give DEFINITION to the series because they show it on 'Toonami'. They could have at least depicted more detail if they played it on Adult Swim. Why couldnt they show it on adult swim :mad: ? I am EXTREMELY disappointed as far as the English version goes. I think the English version is going to help the series die, if anything will. Also, the theme songs are WAY BETTER than the English Naruto. The characters also have better voice casting, and the way they say Naruto in English makes me twitch.

Reason i dont like the manga better than the episodes is because it is more fast paced and the battle scenes are more realistic instead of scene by scene. Color and music also set a dominant enviornment that you cant get from Manga. I understand that the Manga is original, but if you want true original Manga, learn to read Japanese and read Japanese manga straight from a Tokyo bookstore. With that being said, what are others opinion on this topic?

I've never seen the Japanese version of Naruto, but I can easily say that the dubbing is better that most of what you see on Toonami. Kakashi in particular, I can't see how they could have done better.

I've also read through Vol. 6 of the manga, and I can say that the anime follows the manga closely (from what I've seen so far) and that the scenes are almost perfectly transferred from manga format to an animated style.

As for the editing--wasn't Naruto intended to be seen (by the American people) by the older children and younger teenagers? And, seeing as how nearly everything in the media is either too bloody to be scene or not violent at all, they tried to compromise.

No moving blood--understandable. No swearing--given the time slot, understandable. Some dialogue editing--I don't think any ten year old wants to hear Sasuke say 'you make me sick' to Sakura, so they changed it to 'you're annoying'. Given the circumstances, mildly irritating.

I just hope they don't edit Sasuke's condition after his fight the Haku.

[size=1]Hey man, calm down. Weather you like it or not, everyone is going to have a comment (even if they havn't seen all 3 of these). Plus, this is ganna be moved by Dagger or someone.

Anyways, I voted for the manga be cause I like the manga art better than the anime. In anime the characters can look very different from scene to scene (like Kakashi's hair, it's always looking different. Plus, it looks better in the manga.) Most animes (cartoons in general) don't have alot of detailed art (unless it is a movie). I havn't seen much of the english version, but I still enjoy it and think the voices are good (the only thing that really bugs be is when Sasuke says loser.)

Now, I havn't seen the japanese version, but even if I did I think I would still like english voices better. I can't stand having to read subtitles while listening to japanese (this is just me though). Really, I can't stand japanese female voices cause alot of the time they are way too high pitched.

Now, as far as blood being cut out and stuff. Most people saw it coming, if toonami put blood and gut spilling out of someone the parent would go crazy. I don't want Naruto to go to adultswim because I hate having to stay up late to watch stuff. Naruto at 9:30 is good to me ^^ I havn't seen enough of the english version to be able to tell how much they really edited (i'm waiting to see the part when [spoiler]Kakashi impales Haku[/spoiler]). Well, theres my oppinion.

EDIT: in the manga Sasuke tells her she's annoying too (I think)[/size]

It really seems like this thread was created just to bash the Dub of Naruto or dubs in general.

Just background info on me. I started with the Naruto Japanese Anime. I downloaded every episode and kept the highest quality ones on my harddrive, eventually filling up 30 Gigs of Naruto.
Eventually I learned the Manga was ahead so I started reading that. I now read Naruto every week on the [b]day[/b] it comes out.
I paid Fifty Dollars for a Konoha Forehead Protector because it was official.
I paid Forty Five Dollars for Naruto Manga even though it was Japanese.
I have Naruto posters on my door, and my friends call me a Narutard.
I made avatars of myself with BYAKUGAN eyes.

I read the English Naruto MANGA and I hated it.

Now on to your post.

[quote name='TailTactics']This thread is to see what style is best of Naruto. Do you like the manga style of Naruto, the Japanese anime, or the Enlish subbed version of the anime series.[/quote]
How come we can't vote for English Manga?
This is the main reason that it seems like you just want to bash the American show. You put English and Japanese, but you didn't do so for the Manga.

[QUOTE]Little did i know they edited detail such as blood and some very inspiring scenes that give DEFINITION to the series[/QUOTE]
Oh, so you mean they removed episodes?
They changed genders?
They removed vital relationships and events from the series?
Did they change the personality of any characters?
Did they ruin the names?

[QUOTE]because they show it on 'Toonami'. They could have at least depicted more detail if they played it on Adult Swim. Why couldnt they show it on adult swim :mad: ?[/QUOTE]

Depectid more detail if they played it on Adult Swim...
Yes...

Problem here is that Naruto isn't for adults. It was intended for kids in Japan, and it's intended for kids in the United States. Like I said, I love Naruto, but the series doesn't have that much plot depth. The "plot twists" can often be guessed in advance because they're overly hinted at, and the characters are extremely exagerated. Even their names are puns so that Japanese children can remember them easily.

The show being on Adult Swim may have allowed them to show a gush of blood here, and a certain scratch there, but it wouldn't have changed much. It would also have been the death of the series here.
If the show was on Adult Swim, very few children would have access to it. Naruto is a powerhorse, it was already very popular and there must have been a lot of competition to be the licensing company for something so popular. The main purpose for bringing a powerhorse over to the states would be for it to make money and if they don't sell it to the right audience, nobody will buy it.
Finally, even if it WAS on Adult Swim, you wouldn't get your precious kiss scene. Even on Adult Swim, things are editted for content. In such a time where homsexuality and gay marraiges are such a sensitive topic, no licensee in their right mind would keep that picture in. (And I say picture because that scene had pretty much no animation in it.) Parents, soccer-moms, would be calling the show evil instantaniously. Cartoon Network wouldn't be able to keep the show for a week.

[QUOTE]I am EXTREMELY disappointed as far as the English version goes. I think the English version is going to help the series die, if anything will. Also, the theme songs are WAY BETTER than the English Naruto.[/QUOTE]
Yes, the theme songs are pretty annoying for the English Series. And it just may die... except... the dub is already popular!

[QUOTE]The characters also have better voice casting, and the way they say Naruto in English makes me twitch.[/QUOTE]
Here's the thing. You a) don't speak Japanese, and b) heard the Japanese version first.
Since you don't speak Japanese, it's harder for you to catch those little nuances that Japanese people have and don't have. If nobody told you that a certain character had a Tokyo Accent, would you have known?
Since you've spoken English your entire life, you can tell that the dub characters don't speak the same way you do and seem fake.
Since the Japanese have spoken Japanese their entire lives, they can tell the same things.

I'm not saying the Japanese cast is better or worse than the English Cast. I'm saying you can't say anything unless you're fluent in Japanese.

Personally, I hate Iruka, and I'm not too happy with Kakashi yet. But I love Haku, and the Sarutobi actor is a pretty interesting choice.

[QUOTE]Reason i dont like the manga better than the episodes is because it is more fast paced and the battle scenes are more realistic instead of scene by scene. Color and music also set a dominant enviornment that you cant get from Manga.[/QUOTE]

True. The Anime has more detail in fights, as well as character development. It goes into big character stories that the Manga doesn't. Though, because it passes over these sections, the manga goes by really fast, which is a plus for me.
Sometimes the detail in the anime can be annoying because it goes sooo slow.

[QUOTE]I understand that the Manga is original, but if you want true original Manga, learn to read Japanese and read Japanese manga straight from a Tokyo bookstore.[/QUOTE]

Or you can import the books, buy them from a Japanese book store, buy them from an Anime store, or by them from conventions. I buy them from conventions. And yes, I'm taking Japanese and my eventual goal is to read the volumes that I have.

I could say the same thing about you and the Naruto Subs you've watched. Unless you've seen the raws and translated the show yourself, of course. There's a big difference with comparing "the English Official, and the Japanese Official" and comparing "the English Official, and the FANSUB of the Japanese Official".

[QUOTE]With that being said, what are others opinion on this topic?[/QUOTE]
Like I said, it seems like this topic is just an excuse to bash the dub.
Personally, I love the dub. It really is a good dub. Unless you've been watching Anime for a long enough time, you wouldn't know what real censorship and bad dubbing is.

Try watching the old ROBOTECH and compare it to the Japanese original MACROSS.
Even something more contemporary: Card Captor Sakura (Cardcaptors), Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (Sailormoon), Yuugiou (Yu-Gi-Oh! King of Games), have had major story changes, and character alterations.

When it was announced that Naruto would be dubbed, many rumours flew. One involved changing Haku's gender so that it doesn't seem like he's gay. (They did it on a hermaphrodite on Cowboy Bebop an ADULT SWIM anime)

The fact that they didn't do this, the fact that they kept the Japanese names for the Ninja Techniques (dear god... Art of the Doppleganger?!?!?!), the fact that they're not pronouncing them Narooto and Sakoora like they did with CCS is a good thing. They kept in a LOT of blood. In the first episode, Iruka had a giant shuriken STICKING OUT OF HIS BACK.

They took out the kiss scene, but they left it in the story. Everyone knows they kiss, you hear it. You just don't see it so that parents don't start phoning in asking why they're showing gay cartoons to their children. In fact, I bet they still got a lot of comlpaints about it.

Dude, they're even coming out with uncensored DVDs!!

If you don't like dubs in general, and you're against dubbing, say so. Don't bring down the name of the Naruto franchise just because you think that listening to the Japanese DUB is better than the English.

I honestly think this dub is the best dub you can get while still keeping it marketable. If you're not happy with this, I doubt you'd have been happy with any English version of Naruto.

I vote for the English.

-ArV

[color=sienna][size=1]

I consider the [B]truest[/B] form of the Naruto series to be the manga. I find it strange that I prefer the original japanese translated by fans more to my taste. I suppose it is because they curse alot more and the Jutsu's have cooler name's when translated literally. Desert Coffin sounds cooler than Imploding Sand Coffin. More intimidating to me.

The Manga is the original source material for everything that followed. There isn't any filler, probably more things contributing to the main story, and also, you get the manga sooner than the anime. In the anime, they didn't show Zabuza pulling the needles out of his neck, but in the manga, it showed it, and I was far more satisfied. Also, the shows animation is mediocre at best. But the manga's artwork is all beautiful and the details of a character are never spared. Also, the character's in the anime have strange proportions sometimes. Example, Rock Lee looks alot cooler in the manga than the anime. As does Hyuga Neji. Aswell, in the show, Naruto is just annoying. In the manga, he is bearable at least and even cool later on.

So yeah, the manga for me is the best form of Naruto.

By the way. They never changed the guy's gender in "Jupiter Jazz". They made it clear he was a man and that he had hormonal problems, and it was clear he was a hermaphrodite. They never edited it out as far as my knowledge goes. Maybe on an early version, but in the replays of the show, they deffinetly left it in. Nor did they change Haku's gender. He is still a boy and he said it in the episode that he was a boy, and Naruto even went to the extent to say that he was cuter than Sakura.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Mugen][color=sienna][size=1]
By the way. They never changed the guy's gender in "Jupiter Jazz". They made it clear he was a man and that he had hormonal problems, and it was clear he was a hermaphrodite. They never edited it out as far as my knowledge goes. Maybe on an early version, but in the replays of the show, they deffinetly left it in.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]
My bad. I was reading around on ANN one day and I came accross this.

[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/columns/edit-list.php?id=20[/url]

I don't have Cartoon Network myself, so I don't know what they aired on TV. I interpreted as well as I could, but it's not replacement for watching the thing [b]and[/b] reading the article.

[quote=EDIT LIST]
Cowboy Bebop: Jupiter Jazz (Part 1)

1) Gren's shower scene cropped and shortened to conceal his breasts.

This was rather surprising. While I didn't expect that they would actually show his breasts (though we can hope) I didn't expect they'd eliminate them completely given their importance in understanding the character...[/quote]

[quote name='Mugen][color=sienna][size=1]Nor did they change Haku's gender. He is still a boy and he said it in the episode that he was a boy, and Naruto even went to the extent to say that he was cuter than Sakura.[/color'][/size][/quote]
That's my point. They didn't change Haku's gender. They didn't change ANYTHING. That's why it's a good thing...

-ArV

[color=sienna][size=1]

My bad. I must have misread your post. As for Gren's shower scene, yeah, they cut off his breast. But that's because it's on a basic cable network, and I don't think they would show full on breasts. But it was very clear what was up with him. When he and Faye had a conversation, it was further explained, but you could see slight cleavage on him showing what had happened. Aswell, the language changes are considerable. If you watch the DVDs, then it's the same. Atleast, that's what I think, cuz Spike's language remained the same on the first volume of the DVD.

But yeah, so far I have been fairly satisfied with the anime's translation and what not, I'm just not a big fan of the animation, because it's pretty slow, considering the speed at which they supposedly react to things. That is why I like the manga, so my imagination can imagine the speed and action at which they move.[/color][/size]

[quote name='r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed']It really seems like this thread was created just to bash the Dub of Naruto or dubs in general.[/COLOR][/quote]
Ouch, dont be so hasty now. I love some dubs, such as the Full metal Alchemist and Dragonball Z serires. I just truely despise the Naruto dub.

[QUOTE=r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed]Just background info on me. I started with the Naruto Japanese Anime. I downloaded every episode and kept the highest quality ones on my harddrive, eventually filling up 30 Gigs of Naruto.
Eventually I learned the Manga was ahead so I started reading that. I now read Naruto every week on the [b]day[/b] it comes out.
I paid Fifty Dollars for a Konoha Forehead Protector because it was official.
I paid Forty Five Dollars for Naruto Manga even though it was Japanese.
I have Naruto posters on my door, and my friends call me a Narutard.
I made avatars of myself with BYAKUGAN eyes.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Wow. Its OK to be a fan but...WOW...-_-;

[quote name='r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed']I read the English Naruto MANGA and I hated it.[/COLOR][/quote]
I like the English Manga. Shows more detail than the Englsh dubbed Naruto. And its authentic.

[QUOTE=r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed]How come we can't vote for English Manga?
This is the main reason that it seems like you just want to bash the American show. You put English and Japanese, but you didn't do so for the Manga.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
First off, by manga i mean in general (English or Japanese, if you like the manga at all). I cant read japanese, so how could i understand japanese manga with no english text? I dont want to bash the show, its..decent. Im making comparisons, sorry if i offended you,#1 fan.

[quote name='r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed']Oh, so you mean they removed episodes?[/COLOR][/quote]
Never said that, they removed detail, the bases of anime.

[quote name='r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed']They changed genders?[/COLOR][/quote]
Not to my knowledge

[quote name='r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed']They removed vital relationships and events from the series?[/COLOR][/quote]
Events such as detail; 'High Powered' fight scenes.

[quote name='r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed']Did they change the personality of any characters?[/COLOR][/quote]
No. Only some voice acting takes away from personality.

[quote name='r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed']Did they ruin the names?[/COLOR][/quote]
They killed Naruto's name.

[QUOTE=r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed]Problem here is that Naruto isn't for adults. It was intended for kids in Japan, and it's intended for kids in the United States. Like I said, I love Naruto, but the series doesn't have that much plot depth. The "plot twists" can often be guessed in advance because they're overly hinted at, and the characters are extremely exagerated. Even their names are puns so that Japanese children can remember them easily.

The show being on Adult Swim may have allowed them to show a gush of blood here, and a certain scratch there, but it wouldn't have changed much. It would also have been the death of the series here.
If the show was on Adult Swim, very few children would have access to it. Naruto is a powerhorse, it was already very popular and there must have been a lot of competition to be the licensing company for something so popular. The main purpose for bringing a powerhorse over to the states would be for it to make money and if they don't sell it to the right audience, nobody will buy it.
Finally, even if it WAS on Adult Swim, you wouldn't get your precious kiss scene. Even on Adult Swim, things are editted for content. In such a time where homsexuality and gay marraiges are such a sensitive topic, no licensee in their right mind would keep that picture in. (And I say picture because that scene had pretty much no animation in it.) Parents, soccer-moms, would be calling the show evil instantaniously. Cartoon Network wouldn't be able to keep the show for a week.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
You are correct as far as that goes. Naruto is a giant 'powerhouse' and it is all about marketing because before you know it they will have naruto trading cards, video games; another fad for America. And who are going to be the 'populace' that would buty these things, yes, children. In a buisness sense they made a brilliant choice by putting the series on Toonami. But for fans it would have been better on adult swim. (the kiss scene would be shown if it was on adult swim as i said more detail, even unwanted detail)

[QUOTE=r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed]Here's the thing. You a) don't speak Japanese, and b) heard the Japanese version first.
Since you don't speak Japanese, it's harder for you to catch those little nuances that Japanese people have and don't have. If nobody told you that a certain character had a Tokyo Accent, would you have known?
Since you've spoken English your entire life, you can tell that the dub characters don't speak the same way you do and seem fake.
Since the Japanese have spoken Japanese their entire lives, they can tell the same things.

I'm not saying the Japanese cast is better or worse than the English Cast. I'm saying you can't say anything unless you're fluent in Japanese.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Yes this is true, but it still doesnt take away from the fact that the way they say Naruto is annoying, and they made Kakashi and Iruka sound like adolecents.

[QUOTE=r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed]True. The Anime has more detail in fights, as well as character development. It goes into big character stories that the Manga doesn't. Though, because it passes over these sections, the manga goes by really fast, which is a plus for me.
Sometimes the detail in the anime can be annoying because it goes sooo slow.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
It depends on how fast you read manga, then.

[QUOTE=r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed]I could say the same thing about you and the Naruto Subs you've wase. There's a big difference with comparing "the English Official, and the Japatched. Unless you've seen the raws and translated the show yourself, of cournese Official" and comparing "the English Official, and the FANSUB of the Japanese Official".
Like I said, it seems like this topic is just an excuse to bash the dub.
Personally, I love the dub. It really is a good dub. Unless you've been watching Anime for a long enough time, you wouldn't know what real censorship and bad dubbing is.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Alright, I watched the Japanese version of Naruto than the English. When I saw the English, i could say it was a bad dubbing. You could see for yourself, the emotion in the characters are hardly there.

[quote name='r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed']If you don't like dubs in general, and you're against dubbing, say so. Don't bring down the name of the Naruto franchise just because you think that listening to the Japanese DUB is better than the English.[/COLOR][/quote]
Im just bringing the name of the American Naruto francise down. They already sadly mocked the series by bringing this kind of dubbed version out. They could have done better. I woud love to see a better English version of Naruto with the same japanese theme songs.

[quote name='r2vq][COLOR=DarkRed']I vote for the English.[/COLOR][/quote]
They could have at least kept the theme songs.

[quote name='TailTactics']Ouch, dont be so hasty now. I love some dubs, such as the Full metal Alchemist and Dragonball Z serires. I just truely despise the Naruto dub.[/quote]

Dragonball Z's dub got rid of ALL of the original music, had awful voice acting, removed entire episodes, and had lots of edits for blood and "detail" (the last 2 things don't count if you're talking about the "Ultimate Uncut" DVDs and the recent run on CN, but the Naruto DVDs aren't even out yet and are going to be uncut with all of the "detail" left in). And you think THAT hackjob is better than Naruto's dub (and the UNCUT DVDs with ALL of the blood and the kiss scene intact will be DUBBED, so really your crusade against the DUB doesn't count)!?!

Also, r2vq, I like the dub and don't mind the fact the TV version editted the kiss scene, but they would be able to show the kiss on Adult Swim. They got away with an entire episode of Champloo featuring a gay Dutchman falling in love with a crossdressing male geisha with a long montage about homosexuality among samurais entirely uncut except for one muttering of the word asshole (which doesn't even have to do with the content you're talking about being editted). That scene should be no problem.

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']Dragonball Z's dub got rid of ALL of the original music, had awful voice acting, removed entire episodes, and had lots of edits for blood and "detail" (the last 2 things don't count if you're talking about the "Ultimate Uncut" DVDs and the recent run on CN, but the Naruto DVDs aren't even out yet and are going to be uncut with all of the "detail" left in). And you think THAT hackjob is better than Naruto's dub (and the UNCUT DVDs with ALL of the blood and the kiss scene intact will be DUBBED, so really your crusade against the DUB doesn't count)!?![/quote]
I was thinking about making the switch from the American DBZ to the Japanese subbed and with this being said I may as well have made my decition. Thanx for pointing that out EVA Unit 100. I am seriosly surprized so far of how many people like the dubbed version of Naruto. Once the 'uncut' english Naruto comes out i may favorite it better than the japanese version if they keep the original music from the japanese version with better english voice overs. Now let me ask this. Do you like the dubbed version of Naruto better than the Japanese version?

[size=1]I thought Kakashi's english voice was pretty good (his voice is too deep to sound like an adolecents) and I have heard the Japanese Kakashi voice, which is just a bit deeper than the american. I like Zabuza's (sp?) american voice better too, the Japanese voice sounded funny when he screams. :P I havn't heard Iruka's japanese voice and I don't remember what the english version sounds like.

I have heard the original theme songs and I like them. I'm not sure why some anime keep the songs and why some (naruto is this case) change to plain rock guitar music. I don't really mind it though, I can just listen to the song online.

I watched last nights rerun episode and noticed that blood was shown in the episode. They even showed blood spurting (is that a word) into the air. I thought that Naruto had been edited with no blood at all (like most Toonami anime). So, detail wise I think they did ok at editing. I don't mind them taking out the kiss either, i'm sure a few little boys would be asking their moms about it, who would then attack Toonami.

I heard that the anime (in Japan) was now ahead of the manga and that they have filler episode, or something like that...

Also, please don't PM me about what I post, it bugs me.[/size]

[COLOR=Navy]The manga surpasses the anime in so many ways...right after [spoiler]Naruto and Sasuke battle at the waterfall[/spoiler] it's all filler episodes. They really need to get back on track! I want to hear the Japanese voice of Sai! rawr!However, comparing the subbed vs. dubbed, personally I pick subbed because I think the voices are better matched, and it takes a while to get used to the English dubbing which is a bit annoying. The manga is amazing though. Everyone who doesn't read it should...right now....go![/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]it's one big spoiler...well more of a theory spoiler...just read -_- [/COLOR]

[spoiler]Since Sai uses illusions technique.. it might be possible that SAI has the five tail beast which is Houkou (God Of Illusions)..?? what do you think??

?? | ?? ? Five Tails (Gobi), Houkou

Tale in the Legend of the Tailed Beasts: Houkou is a bijuu which looks like a five-tailed dog. Each tail of this creature represents one elemental power: Wind, Water, Earth, Lightning and Fire. They can cause catastrophic damage when used. Houkou will willingly destroy the nature to obtain the power he desires from these elements. He was once badly injured when he and Nekomata challenged Kyuubi. Strangely enough, he is the god of Illusion. Houkou lives in a giant, ancient tree.
Situation in the Ancient War of the 9 Gods: Battled 4 times; 3 Wins, 1 Loss
Wins: Sokou, Nekomata, Raijuu
Losses: Kyuubi
Fate: After receiving a severe wound, Houkou runs away to one of Japan's islands, and hides in a place near Kyushu?s Volcano - a giant tree, to heal his wound. But the tree's concrete position is not known by anyone.
Japanese Myth Appearance: A species of dog, with 5 long tails. Has a white coloured body. Each of the tails possess one of the five elemental powers, that used simultaneously can cause a big earthquake.
Ability: Attacking using mixture of elements; Houkou is skilled in each kind of element ability, and can also create instantaneously each kind of natural disaster.
Bijuu Strength Ranking: 3rd
Bijuu Chakra/Stamina Ranking: 5th
Symbolic Element: Illusion (Being the god of Illusions)
Origin / Discovered in: Near one of Kyushu?s volcanoes (Akase Lava Volcano, probably)[/spoiler]

I prefer the subbed, manga, then dubbed.

All the Japanese voices are done really well and Dattebayo does a good sub job.

Even though I have only read one volume of the manga it is pretty good, not much else I can say about it.

The subbed version is good in one place, Kakashi's voice. Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura's voices are much different from their Japanese counterparts and are just plain annoying. Also the dialog for Sasuke is some of the dumbest stuff I have ever seen.

[quote name='TailTactics']Ouch, dont be so hasty now. I love some dubs, such as the Full metal Alchemist and Dragonball Z serires. I just truely despise the Naruto dub.[/quote]
As EVA Unit 100 was saying, it's ironic that you would like the Dragonball Z dub but not the Naruto dub. Even if you're "making the switch" to the Japanese Dragon Ball, it shows that you don't know how much they changed in Dragonball Z especially compared to Naruto.
[QUOTE]Wow. Its OK to be a fan but...WOW...-_-;[/QUOTE]
The only point to that list was to show that I care about Naruto; I care about its fate and its quality. If it was a bad dub, I would care a lot.
[QUOTE]I like the English Manga. Shows more detail than the Englsh dubbed Naruto. And its authentic.[/QUOTE]
I still have no idea what you mean by [b]authentic[/b]. If you mean they didn't change anything...
They changed stuff in the English Shonen Jump version. They also bastardized the names of the Ninja techniques. "Art of the doppleganger"? "Master Kakashi"?
The English Dub kept in "Sensei". They kept in "Shadow Clone Jutsu". They are as authentic as it can get.
What detail are you talking about? If you're talking about DRAWING, they didn't change that at all. If you're talking about STORY, they didn't change that at all. Meaning that the same differences are in the Japanese versions of both.
[QUOTE]First off, by manga i mean in general (English or Japanese, if you like the manga at all). I cant read japanese, so how could i understand japanese manga with no english text? I dont want to bash the show, its..decent. Im making comparisons, sorry if i offended you,#1 fan.[/QUOTE]My point is that you grouped the Japanese and English versions of the Manga but you didn't with the Anime. If you wanted to compare the different formats that Naruto comes in you could have done "Manga vs Anime" or "English Manga vs Japanese Manga vs English Anime vs Japanese Anime". Otherwise, it's just not fair at all.
You can read Japanese Manga the same way you watch the Japanese Anime, but FAN Translations. Anime is Fansubbed. Manga is Scanlated.

>_> How am I #1 Fan.[QUOTE]Never said that, they removed detail, the bases of anime.[/QUOTE]
They took out blood here and there, but they left in a considerable amount of blood in comparison to other dubs.
They removed the visual for a certain scene, but kept in the sound.

They used to take out entire episodes. More recent series re-released them as "Lost Episodes" like DBZ and Escaflowne but they still took out vital plot information in the initial release. With Naruto, the "detail" you're talking about is still in the story. We know it's there because we hear it. They talk about it. They just softened the blow on the audience.

[QUOTE]Not to my knowledge[/QUOTE]
Exactly. They didn't change genders.

In previous Dubbed Anime they would change genders or gender orientations from certain characters to make them more appealing to the audiences.
Cardcaptors took out vital relationships between Sakura's brother and his "friend."
Sailormoon Dub took out the cutest relationship in anime by saying that Sailor Neptune and Uranus were cousins.
Some people were afraid that they would change Haku's gender to a girl, but they didn't.
[QUOTE]Events such as detail; 'High Powered' fight scenes.[/QUOTE]
They didn't take out a single fight scene. Every fight scene in the Japanese version is in the American version.
[QUOTE]No. Only some voice acting takes away from personality.[/QUOTE]
And you like Dragonball Z?
The voices in the English Naruto are very, very close to the Japanese Naruto. The Naruto in Japanese is played by a girl and the English version didn't decide to make it more manly.
They did that in Dragonball Z. Goku in Japanese is played by a woman. It's to display innocence even as an adult. His screams are very, very high pitched. The English version changed the character a LOT to match the English standars of masculinity.
At no point did Naruto do that. Sakura's voice is still annoying, just like her character. Sasuke's voice is calm, cool, and collected. Naruto is still hyperactive, wild, and raspy.

[QUOTE]They killed Naruto's name.[/QUOTE]
OH! By changing it to Nathan! Another rumour going around was that his name would be changed to Nathan. Nobody trusted this rumour since the name of the series is Naruto, but what about Sasuke? Names like that would be in danger of being changed because kids might not be able to pronounce that.

Sailormoon changed the name of Usagi to Serena, Chibi-Usa to Rini. Cardcaptors changed the names of their main characters to be more Americanized too.
Naruto still has -all- their Japanese names.

[QUOTE]You are correct as far as that goes. Naruto is a giant 'powerhouse' and it is all about marketing because before you know it they will have naruto trading cards, video games; another fad for America. And who are going to be the 'populace' that would buty these things, yes, children. In a buisness sense they made a brilliant choice by putting the series on Toonami. But for fans it would have been better on adult swim. (the kiss scene would be shown if it was on adult swim as i said more detail, even unwanted detail)[/QUOTE]
So you're saying they should doom the series financially reduce its popularity ten-fold so that you can see just one scene which they'll have in the Unedited DVDs anyway. Fair trade.[/sarcasm]
[QUOTE]Yes this is true, but it still doesnt take away from the fact that the way they say Naruto is annoying, and they made Kakashi and Iruka sound like adolecents.[/QUOTE]
Like KKC said, Kakashi's voice is too deep to be an adolescent. Naruto's voice matches his personality. You might find the voices annoying because you're used to the Japanese voices and can't handle the switch. Your mind has already associated to the Japanese voices that you can't handle -any- other voices as these characters.
[QUOTE]It depends on how fast you read manga, then.[/QUOTE]
The Manga is faster. Compare the fights and you'll see.

Tenten vs Temari wasn't even in the Manga.
Shino vs Zaku had flashbacks in the Anime that weren't in the Manga.
Kiba vs Sakon was also interupted by flashbacks in the Anime.

The manga gets to the point without as much character definition as the Anime. This is why it goes faster, even if in the Anime the actions make it seem like the people are moving faster.[QUOTE]Alright, I watched the Japanese version of Naruto than the English. When I saw the English, i could say it was a bad dubbing. You could see for yourself, the emotion in the characters are hardly there.[/QUOTE]
Maile Flanagan has a lot of emotion. Perfectly upset when she's upset and perfectly happy when she needs to be.
Kakashi's voice actually has more emotion than the Japanese version.
And like I said, it may seem like things aren't emotional because they sound fake to you. Just as the dialogue may sound unrealistic to you, the Japanese version may sound unrealistic to the Japanese.[QUOTE]Im just bringing the name of the American Naruto francise down. They already sadly mocked the series by bringing this kind of dubbed version out. They could have done better. I woud love to see a better English version of Naruto with the same japanese theme songs.[/QUOTE]
I would definately want to see the Japanese theme songs. They kept the theme songs for Inuyasha, why not for Naruto? For everything there's room for improvement, but is the dub a joke? Definately not. Way better than DBZ, Gundam W, CCS, Escaflowne, or pretty much ANY Dub I've seen on TV.
[QUOTE]They could have at least kept the theme songs.[/QUOTE]
Definately with you on that.

-Arvie

The fact that the Houkou hid in a tree is pretty interesting. It could show that [spoiler]if Sai is the Houkou he is hiding in the Great Tree of Konoha.

If he were the Houkou, though, I doubt anybody else knows about it.[/spoiler]

It's an interesting theory and it would help progress the story of finding the Nine Beasts.
^^ I give it a 2/5 for possibility rating.

-ArV

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=2][FONT=Times New Roman]I agree it would be totally possible. Since I never knew that Sai used genjustu in the first place though. however there is just one thing that I may have just guessed at why the kyuubi may have attacked Konoha.

[spoiler] well just incase Houkou was hiding in the Great Tree of Konoha. Maby...just maby the Kyuubi, using its big demon powers and whatnot to find the Houkou. Like it thought that it needed to kill it and finish unfinished business. Then the ninjas saw this and well you have the first episiode of naruto![/spoiler]

Well It is just a theory though.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]Hmm I never thought of it like that... Oo I hope it turns out like that and they battle *continues with raging theories* u_u; I also have a couple theories about Yondaime and Naruto.. (if you've seen this text before, it's because I've posted it on about 5 different sites)

Below are just a couple of reasons why I think Naruto might be the 4th Hokage himself. They are just MY SPECULATIONS on the topic based on what I've gathered from the story so far, so don't take them too seriously. LoL. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]1. Incredible resemblence.
Blue iris, yellow hair, similar personalities (Jiraiya and gamabunta commented on this before) and so on...

2. The only "two" persons directly and very closely involved in the battle 14 years back.
No evidence showed that the 4th Hokage died in the battle (Discussed in my 4th point).
No one else really know what happened in the fight.
"The villagers said 4th died in the battle..."
"The other ninjas said 4th died in the performing the deadly jutsu...." <-- All these are from third parties who weren't at the battle scene.

3. Peforming the same jutsu as the 4th did in his "final battle", the 3rd Hokage sealed the opponent's (Orochimaru's) soul in his own body. Their souls intermingled, and were consumed by the "Death god" together. Therefore, the summoner and the opponent should perished together. <-- So if that is how the jutsu should work, then when the 4th Hokage summoned the "Death god", Kyuubi should be sealed inside the summoner's (4th Hokage's) body, where both the souls be consumed by the "Death god" together. But apparently, Kyuubi's soul still lives so perhaps the 4th Hokage's soul wasn't totally destroyed either. This explains why Naruto might be the 4th Hokage since Kyuubi is in his body.

4. There isn't any concrete evidence in the story that actually proves that the 4th Hokage is already dead. They never showed us his grave, his dead body after the battle or anything like that. The only one incident that is closest in giving us an answer to whether 4th is dead or alive was when Orochimaru summoned the 1st and the 2nd Hokage. Orochimaru wanted to summon the 4th Hokage too, but before he could do that, he was stopped by the 3rd Hokage.
(a) Of course, if the 4th Hokage was already dead, summoning his soul then wouldn't be a problem (if he hadn't been stopped).
(b) But if the 4th Hokage isn't dead (meaning his soul is living in another physical body), there's no way the summon would work because his soul was not in the underworld.
However, since Orochimaru wasn't even given the chance to completely perform the jutsu on the 4th Hokage, we'll never know the answer from here. (LoL)

There are some others points which I can hardly remember since the last time anyone discussed about this topic was so long ago. :P The one thing that opposes the above theory and I can't explain is... "How did the 4th Hokage shrink and become a baby?!?!" LoL, but i thought isn't asking that question almost like asking "how can a rotting piece of log turn into a human clone?!?!" (in kawarimi no jutsu)

===============================

Other Theories:
1. Naruto is 4th Hokage's reincarnation?
Reincarnation means to die in a lifetime and then be reborn in the next. This is highly impossible.
(a) He can't reincarnate so fast.
(b) Secondly, a baby can't be born just from outta nowhere. Unless there is a pregnant mother at the battle scene waiting for her child to be born. What's she doing in the deep forest? O.o?

2. Naruto is 4th Hokage's son?
(a) I don't know why a father should carry his baby son with him in a battle, unless he had everything planned before the battle and knew he would use that jutsu to seal Kyuubi's soul inside his baby (that is if you are even convinced that it is possible for the summoner to seal the opponent's soul in a third party body).
(b) If the summoner knew he was gonna die anyway after performing that jutsu, why don't he just die together with Kyuubi. I mean, there's no reason why he should get an innocent baby involved. O.o? Losing 2 lives is better than losing 3.

3. Naruto is just a random, unlucky baby the 4th Hokage found at the battle scene?
Same explantion as 2(b)

===============================

The above are just speculations. No one knows the answer. The author hasn't revealed the truth yet. Anyway, I doubt the author will give us the answer to this mystery. So, happy guessing. [/COLOR]

so, for those of you who watch the fansubs, what do you think of the incessent filler arcs?

Myself, I don't really hate them as much as some people. I thought the one with the lightning dude and the cripple kid and the curry was actually a really good arc. I think the filler time gives us a chance to spend time with some characters who were started to fall to the periphery of the show, and there's lots of time for the humor that originally made the show but had been lost.

On the flip side, some of the arcs suck really bad. And the forward momentum of the main story has pretty much entirely died. Character development for Naruto has come to a standstill (although some of the other characters are growing a bit). I'm all for filler episodes, but an entire seasons worth of nothing but filler arcs!?!! I have to wonder what the creators were smoking when they came up with that idea.