OtakuBoards

Crappiest Game You've Played

Guest ScirosDarkblade

Guest ScirosDarkblade
It's quite possible this topic has already been done, but what the heck.

Anyway, there's that "Best NES games" thread here that I was reading, and I got to thinking about what NES games I own. Turns out that while I do own almost all the greats, I do have quite a collection of real stinkers. And I mean they're BAD. Real bad.

So, then, what's the crappiest game you've ever played? You can go console by console just to keep it fair, because obviously the worst PC game ever is gonna be just a tad bit worse than the worst Xbox game ever. I think.

I'm first:

NES - [i]Amagon[/i]. Jesus Christ was this game horrendous. Anyone played it? It was a side-scroller where you had a lousy gun, poor jumping abilities, and were fighting snakes and bees while listening to very annoying music. One hit deaths and not enough lives to do anything. But when you got some crappy-arse powerup you became Megagon, the worst excuse for a Hercules ripoff I've ever seen. Ugh, I don't want to talk about it.

SNES - [i]Rise of the Robots[/i]. I think this means I didn't play too many bad games, because Robots did have the best SNES graphics ever, and pretty cool music. But believe me, its gameplay dragged that game into the pits of despair. It's a fighting game with, I SWEAR, seven moves: punch, kick, low punch, low kick, jump punch, jump kick, block (I think there was a block; I'm not sure). Eight if you count jump as a separate move. So there was zero strategy or skill to the game. Zero. If you played that game for a year, you'd be as crappy/awesome as you were the first time you played it. On top of that, if you played vs., player 1 could only use one character. One friggin' character. To use any character (for a grand total of 6 or something) you had to enter a secret code which I lost a long time ago. It might be on GameFAQs, but most likely not because that game deseves zero web space. On a side note, I never played Shaq Fu.

Playstation - [i]Castlevania: Symphony of the Night[/i]. Guess how many Playstation games I have played? Hehe, yeah that's right.

N64 - Ok this is a tough one, because I only have good games and I don't remember the crappy ones I played... this will be stupid. I'm gonna have to say [i]Pokemon Snap![/i] because I swear that is the crappiest game I've played on N64. It was boring as hell, and 140 of the 151 original Pokemon look really stupid.

PS2 - [i]Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution[/i]. Without a doubt. I know a lot of people liked it and EGM and IGN and Gamepro and Gamespy and every other moron reviewer out there loved it to death, but if I can beat an experienced player with my eyes closed (which I can), then it's just not for me. I want a skill-based fighter, not a "fighting game for stubborn people who refuse to play better fighting games just to spite me." Or at least a fighting game which doesn't have, exclusively, the ugliest people I've ever seen in my life. "Gritty realism" my balls. I don't remember which reviewer said that, but they can suck it. When DOA3 has been out since around the X-box launch, realism and Virtua Fighter shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

X-Box - [i]Hunter: the Reckoning[/i]. How do you make multiplayer hack-n-slash completely and demoralizingly boring? Ask the developers of this bowser, they know pretty darn well. I've never had this little fun playing a game for ten minutes. Shame on my cousing for buying it.

Gamecube - [i]Billy Hatcher[/i]. Or [i]NFL 2k3[/i]. I guess that means that if I had played a random football game on another console, I'd probably consider that the worst game I'd played there. But I haven't. Anyway, Billy Hatcher was just retarded. Horrible. The worst platformer I've ever seen, and it surprises me, because all you have to do is completely rip off something like Banjo Kazooie, stealing every idea under the sun, and you'd have a better game on all levels. NFL 2k3, I don't want to talk about. It was just too stupid. I don't like football much anyway, and this game was less fun than watching a fat guy pick at his toenails with my driver's license. I can't believe my brother paid $10 for that piece of dirt.

PC - [i]Asheron's Call 2[/i]. It's probably not the WORST game, but it's pretty darn bad. Let's start with music. There is no music. It's weird woohooowoohoo ambient noise. There's no fighting mechanic to speak of. Run up to a monster and click until you die (the monsters don't die usually). You level up by cursing at the game an indefinite amount of times. Oh oh, then there's the weapon crafting. Pure genius. Let me explain it: ok to craft a "crappy-arse sword" you need to first learn how to craft the "piece of dirt sword" but before that you need to be able to craft the "you-call-this-a-weapon?-sword." No problem, right? Well to even get an attempt at crafting something you have to collect some bullcrap rare items and about 3000 gold. This takes about a month, because each beetle or bee (the only enemies that are killable) carries about 1 or 2 gold. As for the rare items, well you get those by running through a dungeon with a shield over your arsehole and hopefully making it all the way to some treasure chest. Then, once you've killed 2000 bees and are walking funny due to your dungeon experiences, you get a chance to craft the crap sword. But the attempt fails! That's a month down the toilet! Along with $15!
And that's not all. The game also lagged like heck (I had a T3 connection at the time) and would occasionally freeze. Though it wouldn't freeze in the "game world," where I was, unbeknownst to me, attacked by a one-legged lesser goblin and unable to defend myself. So when the game would finally resume on my screen, I was on the ground dead.
On top of that, the game had the coolest habit of crashing my comp. And in wild and exotic ways. I'd be playing the game, and suddenly, without any warning, my computer would be REBOOTING!! There's no way to manually reboot your computer with the lightning speed that the game managed to. Not even if you click the power supply off-on and then immediately press the power button on your tower. Ah, I loved that game.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, you must not have played that many PSX games if you have Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as the worst lol. That game is brilliant, in my opinion...it's actually my favorite game on the PSX.

NES - I didn't really own [i]that[/i] many crappy games for the NES, but Golf was the worst game I owned. I hated that game so much. It wasn't even a matter of me being a crappy gamer when I was a kid, because I play it on Animal Crossing and it still sucks. The controls are evil. Very evil, indeed.

SNES - I have the dubious "honor" of actually owning both Home Alone games. Yes, you may start the laughing right now. Both games are pure garbage, not even worth playing to see how bad they are. The controls were horrible, the gameplay was worse and every time you died (which was often), you were treated to a soundbite of McCauly Culkin screaming. Ugh...I feel ashamed for having even touched both of those games.

PlayStation - Bubsy 3D is just one of those games that just makes you want to kill yourself. The graphics are bright to the point of destroying your corneas, the controls are dyslexic and Bubsy is an annoying character who I would not hesitate to torture and maim if he was a real person/animal/thing. I took me a couple years to regain the IQ points that I lost playing this game.

N64 - I hate Donkey Kong 64. I always have and I always will. Donkey Kong 64 [i]used[/i] to be good...when it was called Banjo-Kazooie. There was just way too much random crap to collect in DK64 and most of the odd-jobs you had to do to get all of those golden bananas were really, really boring. The last boss fight is what saved this game from being a total train wreck, for me. That was pretty fun.

GameCube - Surprisingly, I don't really have any crappy games for my GameCube, other than QB Club 2002, which my dad bought. That whole series just sucks, from the controls to the graphics to just about everything else. Luckily, everything else I have for the GameCube is pretty good.

And I don't own any crappy Game Boy games, since I don't realy have that many in the first place.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[quote name='Shinmaru']Heh, you must not have played that many PSX games if you have Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as the worst lol. That game is brilliant, in my opinion...it's actually my favorite game on the PSX.[/quote]

Yah SOTN is awesome. It's the only game I played really. ... Oh no wait! I did play Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi (or whatever the heck the title was). I guess that's the worst game I've played on PS One, then. Of course SOTN rocks it's the best Castlevania ever. I said it's the crappiest game I've played on PS One because it was the only game I could remember playing at all.

[quote name='ScirosDarkblade']Yah SOTN is awesome. It's the only game I played really. ... Oh no wait! I did play Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi (or whatever the heck the title was). I guess that's the worst game I've played on PS One, then. Of course SOTN rocks it's the best Castlevania ever. I said it's the crappiest game I've played on PS One because it was the only game I could remember playing at all.[/quote]

Ah okay. Thanks for the clarification, heh.

Teras Kasi was a pretty bad game, even for a button masher. Even made Tekken remotely playable for me lol. Luckily, I only played it once. Rented it about three years ago when I first got my PlayStation. I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan and the reviews for the game didn't make it sound [i]too[/i] bad...unfortunately, it's one of those games that is worse than reviews make it seem, though I'm sure you already knew that lol.

MegaDrive - Ooh, out of the 50 or so games I own, I would have to say that Shaq Fu was the worst. By far. I still have nightmares of that game. Oh, well, it only cost me $5, so I can't complain too much...

Dreamcast - This is a hard one, because all my games that I had played/bought on the almighty DC were all pretty good. The only one that I could consider bad on any faucet...is Shenmue. Now, Shenmue was an awesome game, no doubt. The ending, on the other hand, was crap. When I play a game for three days straight, only stopping for food, drink, sleep, and toilet breaks, I expect a decent ending. I expect to have accomplished something. [Spoiler] Ryo gets on a boat at the end. That's it. [/Spoiler] Everything on the way was (basically) worthless. [Spoiler] I bashed up some creepy guy who seemed to be in the game just for the hell of it, I spent ages lugging around damn crates, I even rescued a girl (can't remember her name) quite a few times, and didn't get anywhere near even smelling Lan Di.[/Spoiler] Shenmue 2 made up for this with an awesome ending, but it will never remove the crapiness of Shenmue 1's ending.

GameBoy Advance - Sonic Adventure. What a huge disappointment. I guess I may have been expecting too much, being a diehard Sonic fan and all. Sonic Adventure 2 was a huge improvement, and its looking like SA3 is going to be awesome, but SA1 was still disappointing.

XBox - Sonic Heroes. Need I say more?

PC - Uh, a really bad 2 player Pong game that I made in 5 minutes. Does that count?

[color=#707875]Hm, interesting thread. Lessee if I remember the worst games... *goes back in time*

[b]NES:[/b] Right now, I can't really think of a crappy game that I have played for NES. The only game that really comes to mind would possibly be Duck Tales. I'm a huge fan of the cartoon series (it's probably my favourite Disney series of all time, actually), but I had a love-hate relationship with the game itself. I can't quite explain why, either. It could be that the game seemed to bear little relationship to the cartoon, in many respects. It wasn't an altogether [i]bad [/i]game, but I think it was a bit slack in some areas.

By the way, just as a side note...does anybody remember a NES game called "Silius", by Sunsoft? That was one of my favourite NES titles ever. I barely remember it though, which is why I didn't post in the best NES game thread. But still, I'm wondering if anyone else has played it.

[b]SNES:[/b] Wow, again, I'm having trouble remembering any bad SNES games. It could be that I never actually bought games that I didn't enjoy, which is pretty lucky. Either that, or I just have a bad memory. As far as I can remember, I enjoyed everything I bought on the SNES.

Oh wait, actually, I think Mario Paint would be something that would almost classify as crappy. Not that it wasn't a cool idea at the time, but you can't really [i]do [/i]anything with your pictures and stuff. You can view them on the TV, but who wants to do that? If there were some way to print them from the SNES, I'd probably have loved Mario Paint. But as a result, the idea of sitting down and making cool Mario art just lost its appeal for me. I still have everything though; I love the SNES mouse. I want a cool grey mouse with purple buttons for my computer. It'd be cool if Nintendo would make a SNES-themed PC mouse. ~_^

[b]N64:[/b] There are two games that come to mind here. One being Donkey Kong 64. As soon as the DK rap started, I had the odd feeling that things just weren't right. lol

I think that Donkey Kong 64 certainly had its positive elements. The controls were pretty good and each character was pretty well balanced. The level designs were also mostly [i]okay[/i], though certainly not amazing -- or anywhere near Banjo-Kazooie standards.

But as Shinmaru mentioned, it was largely the collection aspect. Different bananas/coins/etc for each different character? Give me a break. The collection aspect is probably the most tedious part of most games, and DK64 made it a core feature of the experience. As a result, DK64 felt tedious and boring for the most part. I simply wasn't compelled to finish it. About halfway through I just switched it off and never put the cartridge in again.

The other game that comes to mind is Rampage: World Tour. What was it with this game? It just wouldn't die.

The original title in the arcades was okay, for a couple of minutes. But playing it on console got old fast. And the idea that the game was [i]still [/i]being ported, years after its release, was kind of laughable to me. Sure, maybe some old games are ripe for the picking; they are obvious candidates for remakes or ports. But Rampage just never stood up against any games during the 32/64-bit generation. It was the most repetitive game I've ever played, pretty much.

Another game I'd put on this list would be Cruisin' USA/World. There's one primary reason for this. The original arcade version was a timely release; it was pretty "advanced" at the time. And admittedly, it was a pretty fun game. But by the time Nintendo 64 was finally released, it seemed very old. It just didn't demonstrate the machine's capabilities and even for a racing game, it was highly repetitive.

I had some good times with it in the arcades, but I ended up selling my N64 version. It just wasn't worthwhile.

[b]PlayStation:[/b] One game comes to mind immediately; Croc.

Croc is one of those games -- it tried to jump on the Mario 64 bandwagon. In some ways, I think it was stylistically very similar to Crash Bandicoot. But it wasn't nearly as good as Crash.

The key difference is that while it was similar to Crash in a visual sense (though still not as nice), it was trying to emulate Mario 64's gameplay. And unsuccessfully at that. Yes, it did have [i]some [/i]merits (some relatively nice level designs and such), but it was still a bland game that focused heavily on collecting pointless crystals. Who cares? I certainly didn't.

Another PlayStation game that I strongly disliked was Twisted Metal 3. It was pretty awful. It wasn't designed by the original creators and if you've played Twisted Metal 2 (which I absolutely loved -- I think it was the epitome of the franchise), TM3 was just a massive let down. Not only were the levels all pretty boring, but the car physics were ridiculous. If you got bumped by a feather, your car would roll over.

"Oops, that breeze is a bit strong...better roll over!"

[b]PlayStation 2:[/b] Nothing comes to mind at the moment. I'll have to revisit this one later.

[b]Dreamcast:[/b] Sonic Adventure. Bear in mind, Sonic Adventure is [i]also [/i]the primary reason that I bought the Dreamcast in the first place. And the Sonic-related levels are great.

But all of the other stuff is terrible. The Knuckles levels are [i]all [/i]badly designed and the Tails levels are marginally worse than the Sonic levels. Then there's Big and Amy. Big's levels are probably the epitome of bad game design. Even the fishing mechanic was gross. And Amy's levels were pretty boring.

I must say something at this point; how has Sonic Team garnered a reputation as being so revered among so much of the gaming media? IGN always seems to say "If Sonic Team is behind it, we know it'll be great". What rubbish! Sonic Team was behind the two Sonic Adventure games, which in itself makes me incredibly wary of anything else they produce. If someone can destroy the Sonic franchise that much, I'm automatically a little wary/apprehensive about their other games (even though I know that their successes do outnumber their failures).

So, I'm admittedly being a bit harsh there; Sonic Adventure did have some redeeming qualities (Sonic's levels, as mentioned). But even Sonic's levels weren't done as well as they could or should have been done. I came away disappointed as a result. The first [i]true [/i]3D Sonic game, and it fell short. That sucked.

[b]Game Boy Advance:[/b] I'd have to agree about Sonic Advance. It was pretty crappy. Nice visuals, but not much else. It wasn't like the old Sonic titles, where you could often run unimpeded for a significant period of time -- or at least, you had some sense of what was coming up. So mostly you could avoid spikes or something if your timing was right. This wasn't the case in Sonic Advance. Sonic Advance seemed to deliberately place pointless obstacles in front of you every five seconds.

As soon as you build up a little speed, bang, you're dead.

Sonic Advance 2 is a seachange really. It's infinitely better; it truly feels like the classic games, but with gorgeous new visuals. The animation is stunning and the level designs are really fantastic. If you don't own it, you really should buy it.

[b]PC:[/b] There are plenty of crappy games on PC. The only one that I bought, which comes to mind, would have to be Fatal Racing. Even at the time (pre 3D video cards...or perhaps just as they were first being introduced), it was a really crappy looking game.

The cars handled like shopping carts full of concrete blocks. Yep.

It had some good ideas though. It was a racing game, but the tracks had stunt-ish elements to them, with jumps and corkscrews and stuff like that. Unfortunately it just didn't come together well at all. Fatal Racing 2 was a better game, but not [i]much [/i]better.

By the way, does anyone remember a game called Megarace? The one with Lance Boyle as the host. lol

For some reason, I really enjoyed that game. Again, I barely remember it. But I do remember that it was cool, nonetheless. I got it as a free pack-in with my very first PC. lol
[/color]

Kicking it NES style:

Karate Champ: This game is like a karate tournament where you score points with succesful hits, and its terrible! The control is bad and I usually end up facing the wrong direction trying to kick. There is so little to this game that atari games put it to shame with their depth.

Playstation:

Simpsons Wrestling: Ugh, I wish I waited for reviews on this one...it seemed too good to be true and it was. Even using Willie and bashing people with rakes wasn't fun for more than 2 minutes. You could coast the whole game with Apu anyway. Its just terrible!

You're downright insane, James. Ducktales on the NES rocks heh. I do know Silius. Let's see what I can come up with for this...

Atari 2600: Journey. This was a game based on a band that some might know of... Journey. I have no idea what is going on in this game whatsoever. I cannot figure out how to play it in any sense. I pop it in, stare at colored blocks and just wonder what the hell is going on.

NES: Super Pitfall. Apparently this was called something else in Japan and had Pitfall applied to it in the US. The game is terrible. You look like Super Mario in a blue suit. Your gun shoots the equivlent of three feet before the bullet just disappears. Some monsters are completely invulnerable, but you don't know which ones. The goals to the game are completely unclear and there's almost no way you'd know what to do because all of the items you need to collect are totally invisible until you happen to jump into their vicinity.

At the same time, the game is so lame that I find myself playing it from time to time.

SNES: Bubsy. This game was somewhat popular when it came out and I just can't figure out why. It wound up getting a sequel as well as a 3D counterpart on the PSX that was awful. The original game looked decent, but it played like crap. A cross between Sonic and Mario. If you held down a way d-padyou just ran faster and faster in that direction like in Sonic... but there were tons of platforms and other things like in Super Mario. Just bad design all around.

Playstation: Fox Hunt. I like this in some bizarre way. It's one of those FMV games where you have to press buttons at the right time to advance. It's so corny that it's lovable, but it's honestly just a pretty bad game. You even fight lol. There are worse games though. I think Darkstone is probably the worst one I've bothered to pick up.

N64: DK64. This was the height of every single problem Rare ever had. Stupid new characters, lame levels and marathon collecting. Everything in this game was collectable and almost everything had to be to make any real progress. It even put the collecting in the Banjo Kazooie games to shame. I had fun with it for awhile, until I got about two hours in any realized how lame it was.

Dreamcast: Soul Fighter. It was a budget game and somehow I got a copy from someone I knew. Awful in every sense. Looked like high res Playstation graphics. World design was atrocious. Enemies were ugly, stupid and simple. Picking a character to play as mostly just involved picking the one that was least ugly.

Playstation 2: I traded in all my bad games... I can't think of anything for this.

GameCube: Star Fox Adventures. Super high production values, I'll give it that. It's still one of the best looking console games I've yet to play. The music was orchestrated and well done. The whole thing was just really polished in that regard.

The gameplay just sucked though. More and more collecting. Running from place to place to bring some guy some pointless item so you could finally advance. The fighting was terrible. Only one guy would attack you at a time and it was all so simple that you never even risked getting hurt.

Puzzles and such were tedious most of the time and cared more about beating a clock than anything else. The flight sections were awful and too easy. The boss battles were mostly okay, but the ending sections really ruined it for me. [spoiler]The guy who is your main enemy in the entire game gets killed seconds before you actually get to fight him. And then suddenly Andross appears and you have to fight him in space. And I mean SUDDENLY. The game gives absolutely no clues of his involvement whatosever. It's like it was rammed in to complete the Star Fox license.[/spoiler]

Xbox: I've not honestly played a bad game on this yet... but I don't own many as it is. I only buy stuff like Halo and KotOR, and they can't count for this lol.

I have played a fairly bad amount of games such as

SNES: I would have to say Bubsy the Bobcat. It was very dull and difficult because I got killed every time I missed time my jump. And collecting balls of Yarn?

PSX: I hate FF8 with a venegance because it has a dull storyline, crap characters, and no armour to be purchased whatsoever. And you have to learn defend before you can start defending against attacks.

Pc: WWF Raw because the controls are really bad and although the graphics are good, the characters look like they have a stick jammed up their ***, Plus it's so damn slow. Darkened Skye comes close because to cast spells you need to collect skittles that were dropped by the great rainbow, There are glitches galore in this.

Playstation 2: BMX XXX by miles because of it not even having a way to stop. Even the jokes are pretty bad. It is also a bit perverted.

Xbox: New legends, there are too many bad glitches in this to even name. Need I say more

[img]http://www.cagames.co.uk/images/gamecube.jpg[/img]

Typically, I only bother with well-renowned GameCube exclusives. As a direct result, of not going out of my way to spend money on cult titles I haven't run into too many problems. So, some may find the games I mention a bit surprising in this context.

The first would be [b]Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes[/b]. I was a huge fan of the original PSX version, and I can't fault the GameCube iteration for offering many sweeping, detrimental changes, but Twin Snakes was just average for me. The production values were [i]incredible[/i]---at first. But, as I progressed deeper into the adventure, I became stricken by the total lack of innovation in direction. I swear, almost [i]every single[/i] action scene exploits slow motion, Matrix-inspired bullet-time effects. Again, it was cool at first, yes. However, by the time the end credits roll, I felt almost drained from watching the same redundant tricks and over exaggerated acrobatics time and time again. Yes, candy is good--but when you stuff yourself with it, you only end up feeling sick later on.

Also, Silicon Knights should have made modifications to expand the gameplay. This doesn't necessarily involve making any far-reaching changes to the story, but c'mon. Add new hallways and rooms, change item placement, add structural deviations that make use of Snake's newfound MGS2 abilities. Hell, throw in a new enemy solider type or two. I welcomed the vastly improved enemy A (although it was certainly absent during boss battles)I, that was nice. There just should have been more of it to balance out the poorly illustrated, outdated Codec narrative. Staring at the same unimproved, pixelated Codec screens from 1998 or whatever for the majority of the game was not my idea of a good time.

Lastly, the story wasn't as impressive as I remembered it, which isn't anyone's fault really. Way back when production value limitations just didn't normally allow the voice acting and presentation found in Metal Gear Solid, the plot was breathtaking--and it still is to a point. Now, I just find more of the dialogue sappy and cliché' ridden than compelling.

So yeah, I probably tend to look down on Twin Snakes harshly, primarily because of the fond memories I have of the original. Yet, I won't attribute nostalgia to all of the game's problems.

Another poor GameCube game is [b]Resident Evil Zero[/b]. A huge in-depth analysis isn't necessary here. Everything is wonderful until you get down to the fundamentals. Capcom didn't introduce anything new to the gameplay (it actually took several steps back from the Resident Evil remake). Sure, you can still change characters, and that was enough to keep me interested for a bit, but halfway through the game, when I was still collecting cranks, pushing boxes, and finding elevator batteries, I became bored and never touched the game again. I traded it in and never regretted it.

[img]http://www.smsgewinnspiele.de/images/xbox.jpg[/img]

I made the unfortunate mistake of playing [b]Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus.[/b] Big mistake.

That's not to say it was a complete wash. Some interesting elements were brought to the table--body limb damage, interactive environments, and visible damage to the models being the most notable. Also, it was certainly an impressive-looking game, technically speaking. It pushed a lot of polys, that's for sure. Sadly, Tao Feng was one of those cases where nothing came together properly.

Those impressive looking characters? Well, the generous polygons being thrown around didn't help when the art direction was abysmal. Everything about the design was just terrible. Mediocrity was apparent on both the characters and the environments. It was impossible to identify with any of it or choose a favorite. The character-types and environments were outright boring, and interchangeable with those found in any other generic fighting game.

The gameplay? Fuhgetabouddit. Tao Feng was literally an unplayable mess. Were the insanely cheap computer opponents at fault or was the unserviceable combo system suspect? Both. But, even multiplayer matches weren't fun. They were just double the misery. Instead of one person cursing at the game, you had two.

It's a universal fact: Tao Feng sucks.

So does [b]Fusion Frenzy.[/b] I received my XBox as a gift, and with it came that atrocity. I can't offer many opinions because after playing it for ten minutes I knew it was super poor and returned it.

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:TiQ-ZOLELTsJ:hogwild.net/images/Misc/playstation-2.jpg[/img]

Now, I bring to mention, [b]Devil May Cry 2. [/b]

Take the original, strip away every inkling of Dante's personality, replace the beautiful gothic architecture of the original with vapid, ugly, lifeless locales, eliminate the mythical boss characters with mutant helicopters, tone down the frequency of the action, remove a tangible plot, pull the camera very far away from what little action there is, and add an uninspired new sidekick--bam--you have Devil May Cry 2. It's that simple.

I was never more disappointed with a game. To be blunt, I can't believe Capcom allowed it to be distributed. I'll be more than wary of the next entry in the series. Hopefully they'll just pretend that Devil May Cry 2 never happened and release Devil Never Cry.

[img]http://www.cagames.co.uk/images/psone.gif[/img]

Now, I'll take the opportunity to mention a classic: [b]Bubsy 3D[/b].

[img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/games/coverg/17/635717.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.maniac.de/oldhome/reviews/ps/af/bubsy3d/b3b.jpg[/img]

Mario 64, look out!

Bubsy was nothing more than a "clever" attempt to market a "sassy" mascot during the 16-Bit generation. And, apparently a degree of success was achieved because it saw some sequels. Bubsy 3D, somehow, managed to bring the concept of a bobcat who wears an exclamation mark T-shirt and collects balls of yarn, to new lows though. Can a game get any more ugly?

Yes, I played this game (it was rented for me) and I managed not to cry. Somehow, I consider myself a better person for it. That's the only positive I pulled from this game though.

I'll have to think about the others. I did play [b]SuperMan 64[/b] so that eliminates the need for a N64 entry by default. heh

[QUOTE=Ashura]

Dreamcast - This is a hard one, because all my games that I had played/bought on the almighty DC were all pretty good. The only one that I could consider bad on any faucet...is Shenmue. Now, Shenmue was an awesome game, no doubt. The ending, on the other hand, was crap.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry about not answering the thread at the moment, my internet's messed up and won't let me post messages longer than like 300 words, but I have my post written up in Microsoft Word, I'll have it up and posted tomorrow.

Anyway, I hope you realise the Shenmue series is going to be (and hopefully will be) 6 games long. They can't just climax something in the first game if it's going to continue. I personally thought Shenmue had a better ending than Shenmue II. Don't even mention Shenmue in this thread about 'crappiest games', even with the ending, the game never dissappointed me and I loved every minute of it, heh. ^_~

(To be edited).

[quote name='Charles']Also, Silicon Knights should have made modifications to expand the gameplay. This doesn't necessarily involve making any far-reaching changes to the story, but c'mon.[/quote]

A lot of things I've read over the course of the game's development and since it's release have made it sound as if SK wasn't given a lot of creative freedom over the game at all. Apparently Konami was rather stringent about how the game should flow and what could and couldn't be changed.

I don't know how true that is, but it wouldn't surprise me.

[quote name='Zidargh']Anyway, I hope you realise the Shenmue series is going to be (and hopefully will be) 6 games long. They can't just climax something in the first game if it's going to continue. I personally thought Shenmue had a better ending than Shenmue II. Don't even mention Shenmue in this thread about 'crappiest games', even with the ending, the game never dissappointed me and I loved every minute of it, heh. ^_~[/quote]

I didn't actually say that Shenmue was crap. Out of every single game that I bought (about 25) for the ol' DC, Shenmue was the only one that disappointed me in [U]any[/U] way. The game was brilliant. I just felt that at the end of the game, you hadn't accomplished anything. The beauty of Shenmue 2 was that you felt like you were getting closer and closer to Lan Di, [SPOILER]only to have him snatched from your grasp at the end of part 2[/SPOILER]. This is one of my favorite events in any game I have ever played. Shenmue just jerked with my emotions like a game of 'keepings off' with the smallest kid not able to even reach the ball as it whizzes over his head just out of his grasp. The gameplay did not disappoint me whatsoever. And the proof of that was that I went out and bought Shenmue 2 as soon as I could afford it.

Also, from the poor sales that the Shenmue has been having (well, not really poor, but not enough to regain the amount of money spent producing it), it looks like the 14 or so chapters that Yu Suzuki wanted for the Shenmue story may all be shoved into the next 1 or 2 games, which is a sad thing to hear indeed. I have always loved the Shenmue series (and always will), but out of all the games I owned on Dreamcast, it was the only one that disappointed me in any aspect. I just want to make that clear. :)

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Hoohoo, everyone was pissed off about DK64. I think I was the only one who wasn't. Now, mind you, I didn't love the game, I just didn't hate it. It was very disappointing in the sense that it didn't come close to giving me the same "wow" feeling that DKC and DKC2 did (I only recently got DKC3, actually), but I wasn't really thrown off by the collecting. What annoyed me were the levels and WAY TOO MANY KONGS! I want Donkey, Diddy, and Dixie. That's enought.

But the final boss was awesome. It's too bad many of you quit early, because the rest of the game does suck in comparison to the K. Rool fight. One of my favorite boss fights ever, actually.

Also I don't think DK64 was as bad as, say, a hundred other games on the N64. Thinking about it, there was Battletanks, Turok (Turok 2 was sweet, but the others blew), Ready to Rumble (ugggh that's the crappiest N64 game I've played now that I think about it), Aerofighters Assault (stay away from this one too, folks), etc. Then there's Diddy Kong Racing, which is all good and fun until you remember that Mario Kart 64 exists. And Starfox Adventures on the GCN is worse in my opinion, as well.

Yeah I bought Starfox Adventures when it was released, and I still haven't beaten it. I've beaten at least 10 other games since, but I'm still about halfway through that boring piece of crap. It's the most cramped adventure game I've ever seen, with nothing original in it in the least. Every puzzle done to death, all the mechanics completely outdone by the competition, a horrendous storyline. One of Rare's worst.

Hey Ducktlaes is awesome! And hmm...I can't really remember any bad games for nes/genesis/snes. But as for the rest...

N64: Most fighting games, i.e. Dark Rift, war gods, etc. Also Quest 64 was an insult to nature.

PSX: Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories. The game follows the pre-real card game rules, and it makes it virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get any decent cards. You win between 1-5 stars per duel, and to buy any really good card, or simply a trademark card from the show, it costs 999,999 stars, ridiculous! Not only that but the computer cheats like a freaking bastard, and can throw down the strongest monsters in the game without using rituals or anything.

PS2: I guess none of you have played Unlimited Saga, because it is simply the worst excuse for a dvd EVER! The best part about the game is the FFX-2 trailer on it, because everything during the game is eye-gouging crap. There's no map or walking around, you hop around board game style from point to point and towns are just one big menu. Everything from making a single attack, to opening a door or treasure chest involves spinning a slot machine with multiple panels. Even running into an anime only presents a chance of an actual fight. The characters are ugly as hell and have a pound of makeup on each eye, and also animate like crap. The backrounds look like they're from the kids menu of a restaurant as well. This game is SO bad that it damaged my PS2. In my haste to get the game OUT of my PS2 I accidently bumped the cd tray too hard and my PS2 wouldn't play any dvds while it was horizontal for months. It just recently started working horizontally again, but I keep it vertical just in case.

NES: uhhhhhhhh..... super mario bros 2. the whole tearing out onion things to attack seemed kinda stupid to me. i rather jump on yur head thanx.
SNES: super baseball 2020. RObots swinging and pitching, no way. imagine robots as umpires (STRIKE THREE... YOU ARE OUT!) also you had to use money during the game to upgrade your players for like a n inning or so.
Playstation:WCW THUNDER. nuff said
DC: are you kidding, SEAMAN, by far. Talking to my dad didnt seem so cool as a video game.
PS2: Egg Mania, the game's concept was bad, but the game was pretty addictive.
XBOX: none.
GC: animal crossing. gay gay gay gay GAY

There ya go, my crap list. if you disagree that's ok. oh well i like video games so much that i have the mysterious power of judging games before when i buy them, then it's off to EB with the crappy ones.

[QUOTE=ScirosDarkblade]Also I don't think DK64 was as bad as, say, a hundred other games on the N64. Thinking about it, there was Battletanks, Turok (Turok 2 was sweet, but the others blew), Ready to Rumble (ugggh that's the crappiest N64 game I've played now that I think about it), Aerofighters Assault (stay away from this one too, folks), etc. Then there's Diddy Kong Racing, which is all good and fun until you remember that Mario Kart 64 exists. And Starfox Adventures on the GCN is worse in my opinion, as well.
.[/QUOTE]

For me, at least, I think a really anticipated and/or hyped game that turns out to be crap is a far bigger deal. Did anyone honestly even care about Ready to Rumble before it hit consoles? Or Battletanks? Turok was hyped, I admit... but it was decent at the time for a console FPS. It just aged horribly lol.

DK64 was massively hyped up until its release. I remember reading so much about it and all of the nonsense that came up everytime Nintendo or Rare would mention the game. Following all that and then playing a game that really just wasn't anything more than mediocre, it was just a far bigger let down than for me to play Daikatana 64 and realize that it sucked... lol.

Speaking of N64, has anyone ever played World Rally Championship? That was an awesome game.

As for the post above mine... Other than the WCW game and Egg Mania (which, as far as I know, was rental only anyway lol), I just disgree. The rest of the games you mentioned are good in their own ways. I've never understood what could be "gay" about a game in the first place, unless it features scantily clad men thrusting towards eachother.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Narrow]The crappest game I ever played was, in terms of gameplay,a horrendous PC game called 'Blue Ice'. It is a point and click thing that offered no reasonable clue on how to proceed past about... half an hour of playing. Frustrating, I assure you.

The second worst was a game called Beasts and Bumpkins. The peasants that you are 'breeding' die before your second 'night' in the game if you're not careful, and to have them not die it entails building a structure that takes two days to erect. Blegh.

Other than that I haven't had many bad video game outings, as I do the smart thing and READ REVIEWS and PLAYTEST IN STORE before I buy. Saves me buying heaps of garbage.

~CrH~[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]the crappiest game i have ever played is the legend of dragoon. There like no stroy line to and it just plains sucks. another game that sucks is turok for the pc. i really dont see the fune in shooting the crap out of dinosaurs. whoever madde that game must be an idiot.[/FONT]

[quote name='Semjaza Azazel']I've never understood what could be "gay" about a game in the first place, unless it features scantily clad men thrusting towards eachother.[/quote]
Don't waste your time. If he can't see the obvious appeal of Animal Crossing underlying the childish veneer, then it's too late for him anyway. Especially with that wonderful analysis of his.

[size=1][color=red]Okay! Here we go...

The worst game I have ever played would have to be Okage. It just starts out really slow and it has no point what-so-ever. A boy is stuck with the shadow king and its sorta like an RPG but its really crappy. DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME!

The second worst game is Spyro ... all of the Spyro games. You are in search of dragonflies... sounds like real fun! WOOH! This game did not impress me at all! The voice overs were horrible and it sounded corny.

If you're into simple, pointless, and annoying games then these are for you. But if you're like me and love the gore and action, I suggest that you just forget about games like these...[/size][/color]

[quote name='Semjaza Azazel']You're downright insane, James. Ducktales on the NES rocks heh. [/quote]
[color=#707875]It does rock, and that's my point. I couldn't think of anything on NES that I played, which sucked. So...I had to do some very feeble nitpicking. ~_^[/color]

NES: Dk Junior Math. I think this speaks for itself.

PSX: Um...Gah...I can't remember the name...It was a Star Wars game, based on Episode 1...Jedi Power Battles, that's it! Jedi Power Battles. I can't really describe in detail what I didn't like about it...It just wasn't fun...

GBA: Sonic Battle. Geez, why does everyone love that game!? It's impossible to control it!!! >_< The graphics hurt my eyes. The "3D" backgrounds look ugly, and the characters don't even have sprites for when they move up. They just run sideways up the screen. They also slide about everywhere, and when you attack, it has a 10% chance of actually hitting. It's not hard, it's CRAP. The story doesn't seem very complex either...

Various consoles: Any of the Resident Evil games. I like being able to walk around without looking like someone rammed a pipe up my ***. If Resi Evil 4 IS in full 3D like I've heard it is, I'll love it, but until then...Resi Evil games = euuugh.

GC: Turok Evolution. Eugh. No story, bad graphics, boring weapons...

Sonic Adventure 2:Battle...I spend third or so of the game speeding around with high paced music, smashing everything in my path. Fun. I spend the other 2 thirds shouting at crappy camera angles while looking for keys with rap music in the background, or mashing the B button in a crappy robot...Actually, if you include the "dark" story, you only play as Sonic for 1/6 of the game! >_< It just wasn't fun at all.

The Sonic games have really disappointed me recently. I'm not going anywhere near Sonic Heroes, for fear of a heart attack when I witness the crappyness.
-----

I'll think of more later...

[QUOTE=SephirothNIN]
PSX: Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories. The game follows the pre-real card game rules, and it makes it virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get any decent cards. You win between 1-5 stars per duel, and to buy any really good card, or simply a trademark card from the show, it costs 999,999 stars, ridiculous! Not only that but the computer cheats like a freaking bastard, and can throw down the strongest monsters in the game without using rituals or anything.
[/QUOTE]

Forbidden Memories would have been decent if they cut out all those things, add a storyline (as in proper), Put affordable cards (Who want's to pay 999,999 star chips for a Kuriboh?), Tone down the cheating of the opponents (I was versing Seto for the second time when he bought out a Blue Eyes ultimate dragon, without any rituals, twice). As I
said it could have been good but it may still give little children that cheat whenever they play the card game something to do. And has anyone noticed how crap the mmonsters look in 3D, I swear the Blue Eyes White Dragon looks like a bloody sissy.

[quote name='Dragonballzman']PSX: Um...Gah...I can't remember the name...It was a Star Wars game, based on Episode 1...Jedi Power Battles, that's it! Jedi Power Battles. I can't really describe in detail what I didn't like about it...It just wasn't fun...[/quote]

My uncle bought this game, heh. The controls were terrible and the camera was even worse, if possible. The little mini-Jedi made me laugh, though lol. But eh...still a terrible game.

[quote]Various consoles: Any of the Resident Evil games. I like being able to walk around without looking like someone rammed a pipe up my ***. If Resi Evil 4 IS in full 3D like I've heard it is, I'll love it, but until then...Resi Evil games = euuugh.[/quote]

I still dislike just about all of the other Resident Evil games, but RE4 is actually managing to capture my attention, which is practically a miracle lol. Still, I'm not a fan of the series, in general.

[quote]Sonic Adventure 2: Battle...I spend third or so of the game speeding around with high paced music, smashing everything in my path. Fun. I spend the other 3 quarters shouting at crappy camera angles while looking for keys with rap music in the background, or mashing the B button in a crappy robot...Actually, if you include the "dark" story, you only play as Sonic for 1/6 of the game! >_< It just wasn't fun at all.[/QUOTE]

Sonic and Shadow's areas are the only fun parts of Sonic Adventure 2. While fun, they definitely don't make up for the awful Rogue/Knuckles levels and the slightly tolerable Eggman/Tails levels. Searching for stuff in video games is almost never fun. Ick.