OtakuBoards

myOtaku v2 Wish List?

Adam

[SIZE=3]Hey,

As we continue to work on myOtaku version 2.0, I'd like to open the table to user feedback. What are the additions you MOST want to see?

Ideally, I'm most interested in fixing nagging annoyances over adding huge new features. I believe strongly in the fact that great sites continually evolve and improve, rather than just mindlessly add new sections and features.

For example, one annoyance for me that I fixed in myO version 2.0 was I hated how there was a separate link to both sign and view guestbooks. It required too many clicks for my taste.

Please put as many things that 'nag' you as possible about the current site. If we make the change you put down (that we didn't think of before), you'll definitely get credit when we relaunch for suggesting that. (Good for site traffic.)

Thanks!

-Adam[/SIZE]

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been interested in having a better Comment feature, actually.

The system that is in place now is bulky when we want to quote, change font color, etc. MyO has sort of become a second OB. People have discussions through comments and everything, so how difficult would it be to incorporate the OB7 Reply Field additions into MyO V2? I would love to see the WYSIWYG editor in there. It'd be very sweet.

Just get rid of that "(no subject)" think in comments when people don't type a subject in that box. I find that most everyone just leaves that box blank as it is. It just looks kind of annoying, that's all.

I also think it'd be cool if there were other ways to sort the member list page. As far as I know, you can only do it by popularity.

In the version I currently am tinkering with, the add comments feature is pretty close to what we use with our Fan Art site (as in the comments + comment box pop up - is this cool?)

I agree, the subject feature is quite horrid and will be dropped.

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue][/color][/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]Some things I'd like to see on myOtaku v2? I've only got two things I'd like to suggest, if they're possible.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]1. Telling what [i]time [/i]the guestbook was signed, not just the day. I find it annoying to have to keep checking the guestbook several times a day just so I can see if someone new has signed it that day because it only tells you what was the last day it was signed, and not the time. If the time the guestbook was signed could be included then it would be much simpler to tell if someone new had signed the guestbook that day.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]2. Random member searches: Is there anyway that when you hit that button that it could take you to a members site who has updated in the past month or so or updates frequently. I get very tired of being taken to members sites who just sign-up and then do nothing with the site.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]That's all I can think of, at the moment. I agree with Petey, though, about the WYSIWYG editor, that'd be cool to see on myO v2 and Semjaza, about the (no subject) thing in the comments.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=#8b0000]The only thing I can think of at this moment, would be to adjust notifications of updates. As it is now, I miss several updates (because of multiple posts and time difference).[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1][color=#8b0000][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1][color=#8b0000]Just make it more noticable on the 'friends list' if someone has updated lately. It's quite easy to miss, especially if you're rushed or not focused.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1][color=#8b0000]Thank you ^_^[/color][/size][/font]

[b][font=Verdana][size=1]Whenever I need to edit a past myOtaku post entry, sometimes it deletes the post subject. Or it'll make it back to the default font. I don't know if it just happens to me, because I haven't seen anyone else mention this anywhere.[/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Verdana][size=1][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Verdana][size=1]I just find it real annoying. Like, if I make a typo and I go back to edit the post.. The post subject name disappears. I don't even bother editing posts anymore. I just copy the HTML, delete the post, and then create a new post with the deleted post fixed and pasted in.[/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Verdana][size=1]>_>[/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Verdana][size=1][/size][/font][/b]
[font=Verdana][size=1]First v7 post, lol.[/size][/font]

Guest cloricus
1) The ability to back date and restore posts; in a error instance a few months ago I lost a few posts that could not be reinserted into the db which was rather annoying.

2) I would like more control over our CSS properties. :P

The only thing I can think of is putting in an HTML or CSS section for the Introduction [or something close to that]. I've noticed a lot that when I visit a MyO site, some parts of the html code is clearly visible.I find it kind of annoying when a new member puts in a HTML or CSS effect and it doesn't work because something went wrong with coding.

If there was a manager like the color manager, people would have a [I]real[/I] easy time putting up graphics.[and not making it look like chaos.]Well, that's just my thought on the matter anyways.Bye!

~*dragonrose*~

One thing that is a real hassle for me is having to put in the same large block of html every time I post. If you're going to put in editors for things as simple as color and italics, there's certainly room for a section such as "Post Properties", where you could insert some html that would automatically appear every time you made a new post.

Also, I've noticed that some people have made extra sections in the manner of the "Introduction" and "Otaku Life" sections. Why not make extra sections an optional feature? You may want to limit the number of sections, though, to avoid another 40 pages (was it 40?) of CNN reports. ~_^

I was going to put that! -.-; Never mind.
Yeah, I think it would be great if we had something like that, but more of a "Post Properties" type things instead of a page properties one. Some people change their font colors alot.
If we can't get that, the second best things would be the OtakuBoards fashion, where you put:

[color="blah blah blah"]....and then put your stuff here. And at the end you go....[/color]

I've seen boards (and other stuff) that, instead of you having to remember, really, the tags you've used with have a star on them, signaling that the tag command has been opened but not yet closed.
Other than that, I guess myOtaku is pretty much okay. I'm not a huge blog-ing freak, so I don't use it too much. But it's nice to know it's there. ^_~

Guest Liessa Schwarz
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I know it's kind of silly, but can you please make it so that we can choose whether or not our art is voted on? It's just that I know my art's not that great, I don't need others adding to it by giving me a low vote. I just don't like it. Thank you! ^^

<3 Immer,
Liessa Schwarz[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Narrow]A feature for the button fad would be nice. And maybe you could make the recently updated people in your list bold, because I often miss it when someone updates because it just blends in and looks the same. This wouldn't have to be on the main page mind you, just the backroom.

~CrH~[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#004a6f"]I think it would be nice if we could edit our guestbook and comment entries. I noticed that you disable links in introductions and comments and I think being able to use them is necessary. The only thing links should not be allowed on is in guestbook entries. I also think we should have a feature that tells us who's online, not just when people last updated.

As for adding comments, I don't think letting it launch in a popup is a good idea. My firewall keeps blocking them even though I did set it to allow anything from your site. I always have to tinker around with it so they come up.

For fanart, I think it should be given a rating out of 10, rather than "do you like it or not" but the final results be still dispayed as percentages. I also agree with cloricus about being able to use css properties for our pages. Like scrollbar and text-area for instance.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Blue]I agree about the random member thing. I want to visit some new sites, but when I click that, it takes me to a page that either hasn't even started, or has only been updated once.

I think it would be fun if we could make the whole table set of the myO transparent, that way, if we have a background, you can acutally see what it is. I believed you mentioned making it more easier for us to "make it our own" site. I can't wait. :)[/COLOR][/FONT]

Guest beyblader
Some improvments that I have are as follows.

I would love it if people who AREN'T members are still able to acess and view fanart. Some of my friends would love that^_^

Another, there should be an online hits counter, on the site. So, anyone can see your hits, cause people like to tell everyone when they hit a milstone. It should be optional though.

Umm... when voting for fanart, there should be three choices. Yes, No, and sort of. Because people may only like a pic a little bit. So, the can vote sort of. and then the percents can either be rounded, or in decimals.

Thanks for reading these "nags". Later! :ball:

:D Yeah, I think that we should have a chat room or something. I mean we do use those shoutbox things as something close enough, but why not have a chatroom where we all could talk to each other at the same time. Plus, not everone here has IMs either. I think it would really be a good idea. :D

[size=1][color=darkred]I would like an option to choose your time. Like, it is American time, or GMT or something. And seeing as I live in Australia...well it always messes around the dates in my post and stuff. It would just be good if you could change your time settings. Maybe that way people could have it show what their time was when I posted it, and what my time was when I posted it. So it would show like.

[12:10PM, 17th March] 12:12AM 16th March

See? That might be good.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Chabichou][color=#004a6f'] I also think we should have a feature that tells us who's online, not just when people last updated.[/color][/quote][font=Verdana][size=1][color=darkred]I strongly disagree. If I want people to see that I'm online, I come here or go on AIM. The thought of being 'monitored' on MyO makes me feel very uneasy. Unless the option to be 'invisible' were included.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1][color=#8b0000]Personal space is something I crave from time to time, so having people say "hey you're online, talk to me" when all I wanted to do was post and check out friends updates, would seriously stress me out.[/color][/size][/font]

[list]
[*][b]Allow linking in comments[/b]. So I don't feel like an idiot every time I html-itize a link into a post then have to go back and just copy/paste the address into another comment so folks can actually get there.
[*]Like Tony said, [b]other ways to sort the member list.[/b] Alphabetically or by date joined woudl be good.
[*]I haven't had problems with this recently, so I don't know if it was changed or if I've just been lucky. Anyway, [b]the "recently updated" list shouldn't include people whose profiles are turned off.[/b]
[*]Again, I haven't tried this in a while, so I don't know if it's possible now, but can we [b]edit our profile picture caption seperately from our avatar[/b]? I know that last time I tried to change my caption I had to hunt around to find my avatar again so I could change it.
[*]Maybe an option on the sidebar for a discreet [b]link to your OtakuBoards profile.[/b] It would go under the contact section if people wanted to fill it out. I don't know how simple or complicated it would be to work ot, but it woud be a nice convenience. For me, anyway.

Also, I have a question: Are there any restrictions on fanart (as far as nudity and/or graphic violence go)? I've seen some images uploaded that kinda surprised me, and I was wondering.

An interesting idea would be to have a sort of myO main page--the a back room so much as...I don't know, a front porch or a parlor or something. Maybe a list of recently updated members...I don't know, people with birthdays that day, and maybe a periodic "featured member"--someone who's doing something cool or noteworthy with their site, like wrist cutter's countdown, or Someguy's Cream and Nougat sagas.

...Okay, I haven't really though that through at all. But it would be nifty.[/list]

[QUOTE=Sara][list]
[*]Maybe an option on the sidebar for a discreet [b]link to your OtakuBoards profile.[/b] It would go under the contact section if people wanted to fill it out. I don't know how simple or complicated it would be to work ot, but it woud be a nice convenience. For me, anyway. [/list][/QUOTE]

This is one I'd like to second. There's things tying Otakuboards into myOtaku, but not vice-versa. It'd be nice to at least have a box saying what their OB username is, if they even have one. People don't use the same ones for both sometimes.

Some of the suggestions thus far by some people seem a bit extreme and server intensive. Honestly, for what some people want, you might as well just download your own updating program and make your own site lol. Sure it's not free, but this isn't free for Adam either heh.

I will get stright to the point:

1 - there needs to be an otaku clock that stays the same for the users all round the world. I dont know if you get what I mean but I will try to explain it for example when I recive an comment from some ware in america being from england I can look at what time it was sent because on the otaku its all the same time.
(I know its a bit confusing but I hope you get what I mean)

2 - some sort link that will tell you who is logged on at the current time and a pop up message if anyone wants to speak with you.

3 - a monthly competition

4 - the top 10 best rated pics an the site

5 - stop the stealing of peoples art, a personal tag set to each pic that lets you know if the pic is already posted on the site

well they are my views, there is nothing wrong with the site as it is but any changers to the site will be a good thing.

I also think it would be a good idea if we could have a section where you could put your favorite art, from different artists, from the fanart sections. I mean that if you see a drawing you like, you could have it on your site so that others would know which artworks you like. Yeah... hmmm...