OtakuBoards

myOtaku v2 Wish List?

Adam

[quote name='Arkad][size=1][font=Arial][color=slategray]I dont really think thats necessary. You need some time just to look at it and figure it out. If there were to be a simple look the site would seem boring and unintresting. Its not that hard to operate the code in Theotaku. This isnt a criticism, I am just not for a simple look and I am sure there are others to agree with me.[/color][/font'].[/size][/quote] There's a fine line between interesting and eye surgery.

[QUOTE=Boba Fett][color=#008000]I'd like to see increased help with user problems. I've been trying, without success, to get help with an issue regarding my ?Edit Content? page. I simply can?t change it without getting an error message.

I?ve e-mailed Adam twice and posted on the ?MyO help thread?, but have never received a response.

So, for V2, I?d love to see increased user help for the less tech savvy crowd around here?[/color][color=black][/QUOTE]That's very true. Sorry, Adam. I know that you have to tend to Velegant, but it seems you've been disregarding your email from your anime sites lately.[/color]

[quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1][color=#8b0000]The Literature Section here is for Fanfics Nikorasu ^_^. If you write up one though that you'd like people to see, you could put it on OB and link to it through your mO Introduction if you so felt. Anyway, mO is not for fanfics as a general rule I believe. If you have any to post, whack them up in the Literature Section of OB ^_^.[/color'][/size][/quote]True, but by the same token there's an Art Section on OB, and a fanart site also. I think there was a fanfic site on theOtaku at some point many moons ago, but Adam took it off...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[size=1][color=darkred]Actually, there is a difference. The art section here is for any form of art- be it anime, digital or random. Hell, someone even put up some of their pottery one time. Whereas the mO is specifically a "fanart" site. More specifically, [i]anime[/i] fanart. So, fanfics belong here, fanart can go here or there, but mO is specifically fanart.

Now, I have a request. When you go to add a comment, sometimes you're referring to other comments...but you can't see them. If you have many windows up, by the time you get back to add your comment, you may have forgotten what you wanted to say. I think it would be great if, similar to OB, it had a list of all other comments below the typebox for your own comment.

Thanks for your time. ^_^[/color][/size]

My wish of all wishes is for either:

-A Misc. Fanart Category
OR
-A form on the Fanart submission page to submit a category for approval

It has been on my mind and it would be SUPER-AWESOME to have it in v2!

Thank you Adam for all the hard work you're putting into this!

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Narrow]Hmm... regarrding post times. I think it would be best if time was relative, like at OB. In your options it could have 'Timezone: [whatever]'. eg, I'm in 10+ Brisbane so:

Timezone: 10+ Brisbane

SO if you visted someone's page it would show what time/date they updated relative to you instead of wherever myO time is based off.

~CrH~[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=Georgia][color=blue]Better yet, forget about having this whole times and time zone thing. Instead, we should have the feature that OB has: you can see which posts/threads are new, and there's a bullet if you've posted (or, in the case of myO, commented) in the new entry.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]Plus, you could see if the entry is popular in the same fashion as OB. I'm not saying it should [i]exactly[/i] be like that, but the general function should be the same.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]I'm not sure if either of these have been said but I just thought of them:[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]I'm sure this one has been said, it'd be nice to be notified if you have a new comment on a post because my computer is very...annoying, let's call it, and when loading my myO page, it always seems to freeze and that goes for all of the other myO pages so I doubt that there's something really wrong with my page, but it's get very annoying to have to go to my site everyday to check to see whether or not there are new comments. Especially if there are no new comments and I just wasted 5 minutes that could have been put to better use.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]Also, it'd be nice to be notified of new Fan Art comments. I never even knew I had comments on my fan art until I looked at one and saw that there were a few comments.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]It'd be kind of like here on OB, I guess. When you post or comment in myOtaku, you can automatically be subscribed to that post. Of course, there could be an option asking whether or not you want to be subscribed to posts you comment in or life posts that you post.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]Those suggestions might be a little much but they are a pretty good idea. ^_^[/color][/size][/font]

You can now put things in quotes in your profile and they won't disappear. Also, I imposed a 600 character limit for introductions...Some of you with 44,000 characters might suffer as a result of this, but I think it's very necessary.

[color=deeppink][size=1]Yikes... ><;

I'm definately having a hard time trying to shorten it to 600, since I've got some html/button linking involved. ...And just my button links alone are well over twice the character limit. So I'm just wondering if there could be another way to limit the introductions...[/color][/size]

Yeah, I've noticed that images won't show for the Introduction becuse some of the image's HTML either goes over 600 characters or makes the Intro. really funny-lookin'.[that doesn't affect me 'cause I have a short intro^.^] I know I posted a long time ago when this thread first opened, but I made another wish-list that is surprisnigly short.Here goes!

- Optional Comments on posts - [If a person doesn't want comments on their post and turns comments off, they won't be able to see any of their other comments on other posts!That would really bite!]

- Graphics Manager or an Image Limit [How many images can be shown at one time. A lot of MyO sites take a [I]very[/I]long time to load due to too many images.]

- Put up an Ignore list like on the OB [If you can't really stand someone who spams on your shoutbox and won't stop, what better way to get them to stop than by putting tham on an ignore list!]

Also, I know this isn't MyO.- related, but Adam can you do something with the Submit Wallpapers?!It's only the Fruits Basket section that keeps on accepting my wallpaper as a greeting card!I tried emailing you but no reply.Well, bye!

~*dragonrose*~

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]Yes, I know this has already been said but there should maybe be something that just limits the number of images on a site, in introductions and maybe even on posts. That way, people with lots of coding in there introductions can get it all in.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]It would still be somewhat of a problem for members with buttons on there sites, though. A simple solution would be to create a webpage somewhere, (such as Freewebs or Geocities) and then put the images there, then link to that site in your introduction or something. ^_^[/color][/size][/font]

[color=indigo]Okay, that 600 character introduction limit is going to [i]really[/i] limit the use of HTML, javascript, and the like. I figured out, using Notepad set to display 100 characters per line with a fixed-width font (since I still haven't gotten around to installing MS Word), that my current introduction is probably somewhere in the 9,000-10,000 character range, including spaces. The thing is, though, my introduction isn't that big on the actual page. Most of it is HTML/javascript stuff, for the Now Playing and Midi Archive parts which take up all of five lines on the page. The buttons I don't care about so much; I could do without those easily enough. I'd just like to keep the Now Playing and Midi Archive as they are.

Now currently, I've got my little intro picture, the Now Playing and Midi Archive parts, and then the buttons. With the 600 character limit, I figured out that I'll be able to have the intro pic, the Now Playing part, and maybe a link to a page with the other midis. And that's it. All the code for the drop-down menu is just way too huge in the number of characters, even though it's only a few lines on the page itself. Even four links to the last four featured midis, which is how I was doing it before the drop-down menu, requires a lot more than 600 characters.

Basically, if the character limit stays where it is, I see everyone's introductions becoming very bland and boring. They'll all most likely just revert to an image and some plain text, because anything cool that was in them before requires too much code to fit within the character limit.

What I'd suggest instead of a straight-out limit on the number of characters allowed in an introduction is, if it's possible, put a limit on the number of images and the number of characters that aren't part of HTML or script tags. I think that would fix the problem of overly long introductions while still allowing people to do stuff with HTML and whatnot.

For a site that tries to let people highly customize their own little webpage, having a really strict character limit in introductions seems counter-intuitive. It'd be like having a 1,000 or so character limit with posts on OB, yet still not allowing people to double post. OB is supposed to be a place where people can have intelligent discussions, but then they wouldn't be able to because any decent post wouldn't fit within the limit. With myOtaku it seems like creativity in customizing one's page is encouraged, but now with the character limit, we aren't free to do anything creative in out introductions. To me at least, it seems to go against one of the main principles of the site.[/color]

[QUOTE=DDG][font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]Yes, I know this has already been said but there should maybe be something that just limits the number of images on a site, in introductions and maybe even on posts. That way, people with lots of coding in there introductions can get it all in.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]It would still be somewhat of a problem for members with buttons on there sites, though. A simple solution would be to create a webpage somewhere, (such as Freewebs or Geocities) and then put the images there, then link to that site in your introduction or something. ^_^[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
But wouldn't that require them to pay a certain amount of dollars per month. Geocities and Freewebs don't support image hosting. [Trust me, I tried.] Also, most image hosts would give 1.1 megabytes or something like that for free image hosting. I'm not sure about you guys and your images, but I have some big file sizes for some of the smallest images. :(

~*dragonrose*~

Edit: I agree with Desbreko on this one! It'd really put a lid on creativity for the sites!Try and make it 1,000 so that people can stop complaining about no images showing!

[QUOTE=dragonrose]But wouldn't that require them to pay a certain amount of dollars per month. Geocities and Freewebs don't support image hosting. [Trust me, I tried.] Also, most image hosts would give 1.1 megabytes or something like that for free image hosting. I'm not sure about you guys and your images, but I have some big file sizes for some of the smallest images. :(

~*dragonrose*~[/quote][font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]No, just sign up for a free account. I mean, use their pages to put your images on, such as quizzes and buttons, then provide a link to those quizzes/buttons/other images in your introduction.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]You wouldn't even have to use their servers to upload the images to, because as long as they have a place where you can use HTML to insert images (I know that both Freewebs and Geocities do) and you know the URL to that image, you can just use tags to insert images onto the page.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='dragonrose']Edit: I agree with Desbreko on this one! It'd really put a lid on creativity for the sites!Try and make it 1,000 so that people can stop complaining about no images showing![/quote][font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]I completely agree. Today when I went to edit my Introduction, it deleted half of it because there were too many characters. ;_; I barely even had anything there either. It was just three image tags to my buttons, one to my intro banner, and some font tags. Nothing extreme at all. Now my intro is pretty bland, it's just a sentence or two and an intro banner.[/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE=DDG][font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]No, just sign up for a free account. I mean, use their pages to put your images on, such as quizzes and buttons, then provide a link to those quizzes/buttons/other images in your introduction.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]You wouldn't even have to use their servers to upload the images to, because as long as they have a place where you can use HTML to insert images (I know that both Freewebs and Geocities do) and you know the URL to that image, you can just use tags to insert images onto the page.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]I completely agree. Today when I went to edit my Introduction, it deleted half of it because there were too many characters. ;_; I barely even had anything there either. It was just three image tags to my buttons, one to my intro banner, and some font tags. Nothing extreme at all. Now my intro is pretty bland, it's just a sentence or two and an intro banner.[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
Oh, that's what you meant. I thought you meant actually uploading the images and using the URL to post it up. Okay, I get it now. You kinda lost me on that one. I was about to ask you to pm me a translation. ^^

I won't have to edit my Intro. because it's so short, but yeah Adam should change it otherwise he will be getting lots and lots of angry emails....and for the sake of all the other people who use images and extreme HTML coding like all of my friends.

~*dragonrose*~

Hi! Ohkami desu!

Hmm... If I'm going to give a suggestion it's just 2 for now here it is:

1. In [B]Fanart voting system[/B], put a text box for "[B]NO[/B]" voters. So in that way, we'll be able to know why they don't like the pic.

Because I feel (just feel) that there are people have a characteristic called [B]CRAB MENTALITY [/B] (a bad characteristic wherein one will pull down someone who's greater than him.) I just don't like those peeps. And to keep it stirict, don'tl not count the vote until the user puts the message. I know this is a bit silly but, for me as an atist and member of MYOTAKU, I'm just concerned about the others who draw really good.

2. More [B]categories [/B] for submissions! Because I'm creating different illustrations from different titles. I just want to change history!

I'm the one who submitted the first fanarts for [B]ZENKI[/B], [B]BURN UP EXCESS[/B], [B]B't X[/B], [B]SABER MARIONETTE [/B] and [B]DEVIL HUNTER [/B] YOHKO! So put up more titles for more fun! The more the merrier!

*THROWS HIS JACKET!*

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=indigo]Okay, that 600 character introduction limit is going to [i]really[/i] limit the use of HTML, javascript, and the like. I figured out, using Notepad set to display 100 characters per line with a fixed-width font (since I still haven't gotten around to installing MS Word), that my current introduction is probably somewhere in the 9,000-10,000 character range, including spaces. The thing is, though, my introduction isn't that big on the actual page. Most of it is HTML/javascript stuff, for the Now Playing and Midi Archive parts which take up all of five lines on the page. The buttons I don't care about so much; I could do without those easily enough. I'd just like to keep the Now Playing and Midi Archive as they are.

Now currently, I've got my little intro picture, the Now Playing and Midi Archive parts, and then the buttons. With the 600 character limit, I figured out that I'll be able to have the intro pic, the Now Playing part, and maybe a link to a page with the other midis. And that's it. All the code for the drop-down menu is just way too huge in the number of characters, even though it's only a few lines on the page itself. Even four links to the last four featured midis, which is how I was doing it before the drop-down menu, requires a lot more than 600 characters.

Basically, if the character limit stays where it is, I see everyone's introductions becoming very bland and boring. They'll all most likely just revert to an image and some plain text, because anything cool that was in them before requires too much code to fit within the character limit.

What I'd suggest instead of a straight-out limit on the number of characters allowed in an introduction is, if it's possible, put a limit on the number of images and the number of characters that aren't part of HTML or script tags. I think that would fix the problem of overly long introductions while still allowing people to do stuff with HTML and whatnot.

For a site that tries to let people highly customize their own little webpage, having a really strict character limit in introductions seems counter-intuitive. It'd be like having a 1,000 or so character limit with posts on OB, yet still not allowing people to double post. OB is supposed to be a place where people can have intelligent discussions, but then they wouldn't be able to because any decent post wouldn't fit within the limit. With myOtaku it seems like creativity in customizing one's page is encouraged, but now with the character limit, we aren't free to do anything creative in out introductions. To me at least, it seems to go against one of the main principles of the site.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink][size=1]*bows to Dessy* Well said. >>;

But then, there's that issue where rather than introductions being cluttered with text, usually (from what I've seen, at least), it's like, twenty/thirty quiz results. But wouldn't those end up being counted as html, too? *scratches head*

For my intro, I had to go back and shorten all my filenames and take off the " " 's and /'s in links and such. [/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Who?]
That's very true. Sorry, Adam. I know that you have to tend to Velegant, but it seems you've been disregarding your email from your anime sites lately.[/color]
[/QUOTE]
[color=#707875]When I had a public OB email account, I was receiving up to 50 emails per day, with various requests and stuff.

Adam must receive at least double that number and probably more.

I think we must understand that there are some serious limits on service for members in those circumstances. Adam's only one guy, and he works incredibly hard behind the scenes.

I know that you're not suggesting otherwise, I'm just pointing out the reality of the situation.

This is why I recommend that people post requests for help and feedback here in this forum. That way other staff can attend to it, and Adam can view it at any time or search through topics. It's much better that way.[/color]

[QUOTE=Juuthena][color=deeppink][size=1]*bows to Dessy* Well said. >>;

But then, there's that issue where rather than introductions being cluttered with text, usually (from what I've seen, at least), it's like, twenty/thirty quiz results. But wouldn't those end up being counted as html, too? *scratches head*

For my intro, I had to go back and shorten all my filenames and take off the " " 's and /'s in links and such. [/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Now I have absolutely no introduction period. I can't do anything with the 600 character limit. What I had before was three rows of buttons, my midi archive, another site button, and my three lain buttons. With the character limit in place, I could only go as far as my three buttons, my now playing midi, and half of the code for James button. My intro wasn't cluttered at all. Maybe you could do something with the code to not allow the quizzes in the intro?

Since the update my Intro has been having "issues". I am not sure if this has something to do with the new 600 character limit. I do agree there needs to be a cap on how big an intro can be (ie the intros that have 3 million quizzes in them) but this has really caused some problems with my site.

I can use the area only for text, and when I post it all shows up in one really long thin column. It breaks up my HTML so there is no way I can even put images at all. Is this have something to do with the new update? I would like to be able to at least put all 600 characters all the way across the space available since it won't allow any HTML. The one long thin column looks a bit silly.

I do agree with those who say that this puts a cap on the creative outlet we use to have in/on our sites. I really wish I could at least put one picture in my intro.

My suggestions:

-Put a block or cap on quizes in the intro. Perhaps only one allowed in the intro. This would be similar to the only one banner in signatures on OB.

-Fix the margins so intros don't show up in one long thin column. It might just be my site but when I have gone to look at others' myO sites many have taken their intros out.

-Make the quiz section and Otaku Life the only areas you can post quiz results.

Those are my suggestions, thanks for reading them! :)