OtakuBoards

myOtaku v2 Wish List?

Adam

[QUOTE=Juuthena][color=deeppink][size=1]*bows to Dessy* Well said. >>;

But then, there's that issue where rather than introductions being cluttered with text, usually (from what I've seen, at least), it's like, twenty/thirty quiz results. But wouldn't those end up being counted as html, too? *scratches head*

For my intro, I had to go back and shorten all my filenames and take off the " " 's and /'s in links and such. [/color][/size][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Yes, the image tags used in quiz results wouldn't be counted as part of the character limit if it was done how I suggested, but that's why I also suggested a limit on the number of images allowed. That way people wouldn't be able to have a really huge intro filled with a ton of text or filled with tons of images, but people would still be free to use other types of HTML and stuff that takes a large number of characters yet is small on the page (such as my Midi Archive).

But like I said, "if it's possible." I really don't know if there's a way to limit just the number of tags and no others.[/color]

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=indigo]Yes, the image tags used in quiz results wouldn't be counted as part of the character limit if it was done how I suggested, but that's why I also suggested a limit on the number of images allowed. That way people wouldn't be able to have a really huge intro filled with a ton of text or filled with tons of images, but people would still be free to use other types of HTML and stuff that takes a large number of characters yet is small on the page (such as my Midi Archive).

But like I said, "if it's possible." I really don't know if there's a way to limit just the number of tags and no others.[/color][/QUOTE]

What about people with like three rows of buttons? That doesn't take too much space. Yet, if you limit to only to three or four images, then all of those other buttons would be lost.

[color=indigo]Yeah, if only a few images were allowed, people would have to give up most of their buttons. But that's something I'd be willing to sacrifice in order to keep other types of HTML and javascript, and it's also a lot better than what's in place now. When you have to use the entire URL of an image in the tag, you aren't going to be able to fit too many buttons in with a limit of 600 characters.[/color]

[font=Georgia][color=blue]I'm wondering... Why is there [i]any[/i] restriction placed on myO? Shouldn't every person be free to put whatever they want on their personal page? If other people don't like it, I don't think it's fair to punish the person who signed up expecting that kind of freedom. No one is forcing another person to visit their page, right?[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]I'm not a computer buff, so I might be missing something. I'm just curious since most of the problems people are now having could be solved by just removing any and all restrictions.[/color][/font]

The restrictions are for people having rediculously long intros that take forever to lode, especially for us dial up users.

Still, I think the limit is too low. I suggest that the limit not include html, just the text and images.

Also, a spell check in posts and an option to preview posts before posting them.

I've decided to significantly increase the limit to 1,500...I think this is a pretty fair number. I did a spot-check on some members with a lot of buttons and saw that they had roughly this number of characters anyway. By choosing your buttons more carefully and by limiting white space, I think hitting this target won't be difficult.

Is all well in the jungle? My concern really isn't with OB members' sites with this limit. Rather, we have a tremendous number of very young members and I want to limit the room for error with their sites. (That's part of good design.)

[quote name='AzureWolf][font=Georgia][color=blue]I'm wondering... Why is there [i]any[/i] restriction placed on myO? Shouldn't every person be free to put whatever they want on their personal page?[/color'][/font][/quote]

I completely agree. If people want to clutter up their pages with row after row of garish quiz results and animated GIFs, so be it. Other members may not wish to visit such sites, but whose fault is that?

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]I completely agree. If people want to clutter up their pages with row after row of garish quiz results and animated GIFs, so be it. Other members may not wish to visit such sites, but whose fault is that?

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

I try to avoid those pages. But there's no warning before you click on the mO that they'll be HUGE load and slow down in the computer's speed.

Now, I run some programs (At least only 1 and that is AIM), now when I run into a page with a bunch of quiz results, animated GIFs, comet cursors, marquae HTML, and other junk, do you know what happens? My computer FREEZES! But the freezing sites also includes Shinmaru's site for some odd reason O.O;;;;.

If Adam is to reset the HTML limit back to 4,000 characters, he should have a warning label or soemthing on some sites -_-.

[quote name='G/S/B Master']But the freezing sites also includes Shinmaru's site for some odd reason O.O;;;;.[/quote] [font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]It's a good thing you mentioned Shinmaru's website. On the school computers, whenever I go to Shin's website, there's a pop-up saying that there's an error, and if I want to keep running whatever caused the error.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]That might actually be the cause of your computer trouble rather than a large compilation of pictures and sounds.[/color][/font]

[size=1][color=darkred]Someone correct me if I am wrong, but those errors are caused by faulty coding somewhere in the page...it isn't enough to drastically affect the appearance of the page, but where "s have been missed or something, it will sometimes bring up an error problem. It doesn't actually affect it.

And, thankyou very much Adam. The new limit allows much fuller use of introductions, whilst not going "too far". Thankyou very, very much Adam. ^_^[/size][/color]

[size=1]The things I would like to see have pretty much already been said, but I shall merely second them.

My main vice would be with having to copy and paste the huge blocks of HTML into adding new posts. I do believe I read in an update you were working on making this so. I am pleased, and incredibly thankful.

Control of CSS properties would be nice, however I could understand if there are concerns that this might give the user a little too much control of the page. It seems to me that if a user is given more and more control, myOtaku might as well just be another free webhosting service. o_O

One thing I am definitely not a fan of is how the "Modify Posts" button has come to be at the bottom of the page, when one is editing their past posts. That page is slow enough for me as it is (for whatever reason) and it is very irritating to have to go all the way to the bottom. Perhaps the number of editable posts could be decreased per page, maybe only to two. I think most people really do not have any more than two are three posts per page on their myO, so why is it there are several editing blocks on the Modify Posts page? Though ... I do suppose some people edit more than once a day. So perhaps there could be a more "archived" format in that section. Such as "Edit Posts from April 24, 2004" ... or something.

Another problem I have with the editing posts page is that my subject is always deleted when I go to edit a post, and as I said that page is always [i]really[/i] slow for me. So it is a huge pain to have to sit and wait for my text to be typed in. I have attached a screenshot of the page so you can see what I am talking about. I know it has to do something with there being HTML in the subject title, but that is necessary since I have forced white to be the main text color because I often have dark background colors and black text would disappear against it. I do not mind having to put in the HTML for subject titles, I just hate having to retype it every time I go to edit a post ...

That is all I have, I believe.[/size]

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]It's a good thing you mentioned Shinmaru's website. On the school computers, whenever I go to Shin's website, there's a pop-up saying that there's an error, and if I want to keep running whatever caused the error.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]That might actually be the cause of your computer trouble rather than a large compilation of pictures and sounds.[/color][/font][/QUOTE]

I think my site was one of the sites that might freeze up because I used to have mp3s in my Now Playing section, but my current song disappeared after the character limit was introduced, so I've decided to just not have anything in there. I doubt many people even listened to the music, anyway lol. So, if my site continues to freeze up, then I have no idea what the problem is o_O

Anyway, I just wanted to come in here and clear that up >.>

[quote name='Shinmaru']I think my site was one of the sites that might freeze up because I used to have mp3s in my Now Playing section, but my current song disappeared after the character limit was introduced ...[/quote][size=1]Speaking of MP3's, are they a rejected file extension now? I tried putting one in to keep the theme of my changing theme, but it did not show up. MIDI's are cool and all, but it is a lot harder to get certain music in that format and WAV's are of course gargantuan in size.

Perhaps there is a whole "legal" thing, though ... but it is not like you are hosting the music yourselves. It is on the users own private server. o_O[/size]

Ah, some background on the mp3 thing.

With myO v2, we developed a script that lets the user click a button to listen to music. This is because the default control panel for music depends on whether the user has QuickTime or Windows Media Player. (And it was impossible from a design view to make the Media Player control panel look and work right...) And the button system we developed only works with midis.

Another reason I put a file extension guard was because I did some research and about half of all users who put music on their page, rather than typing out a midi, would type out things like: "theOtaku.com Midi" or "DragonBall Z Theme" or nonsense like that. (Which obviously wouldn't work.)

-Adam

I like the change youhave made to the backroom on my otaku, but Where are the buttons linking to the boards, and other sections?

Also some text is cut in half, and well, there are probs, but they don't interefere with my site, they are just annoying, is this only a temporary thing?

It works now, the text and the links are there, I like what you have done, it reallyy has added some nice touces to the site, I hope the others appreciate it, sorry for if i didturbed it at all, I do appologize if i did, but i like it, are there any other surprises or up-grades you are planning at all?

I think you are doing a good job, and with all you have to do, I applaud you, thanks for sortin the prob out, c ya later

[font=Georgia][color=blue]I think it would be cool if we could have feedback on wallpapers, maybe in the same fashion as the fanart is done. You know, I'd like to know what people think of my wallpapers, and it'd be cool to see an overall rating.[/color][/font]

Sorry I didn't get to your post Pyro,

I've disabled HTML in subjects until myO v2 goes live (because of the glitch you pointed out). With myO v2 you'll be able to specify the color/font/size properties of all your subjects. (So no more copy and pasting.)

As per your suggestion, I've also cut the number of posts in modify posts down to 5 per page. I hope this helped.

-Adam

The new restriction sucks. I barely have anything in my introduction as it is, and I can't put anything else up there now because of this restriction. Just like the restriction on signatures here on OtakuBoards most of the characters are used up by coding and spacing and not by the actual amount of content seen. The restriction is really lame in my opinion, but I doubt that really counts for much when most people seem to think it's a good idea, I guess. Eh, whatever, I'm just putting this out there even though it's pointless to do so.

I need some help, on the MyOtaku screen, this has appeared at the top
Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/theotaku/public_html/my/lab.php on line 486

and also a pic of DreanCrusher, and that is at the top of all the sites I go on, Is this just a temp prob, I would really like to know

[color=hotpink][size=1]I HATE THE NEW COMMENT SYSTEM!

Not only can you only put 250 characters, but then when that isn't long enough to make an entire post, you can't post a second post in a row to clear it up. Also, html is not working for me either. I really wish it would just not have a limit on it, as I like to leave nice and long intellectual responses instead of short and spammy replies like "wow ur so cool, dude." Please is there something we can do about this?

I'm not trying to sound brash, I'm just pretty upset.[/color][/size]