OtakuBoards

Shounen-ai and shoujo-ai

Dagger

I've suppressed the urge to create this thread for a [i]very[/i] long time, but my resistance has finally crumbled. The discussion is intended to be all-encompassing; you can talk about everything from your favorite couples (real or imagined :P) to the pitfalls of fanfiction. I welcome dissenters with open arms... just be sure to phrase your complaints in a civil manner, okay?

Gravitation--arguably the most popular shounen-ai series of all time--is finally coming to North America on June 29, 2004. I'm immensely excited about watching its dub, and I'm sure TRSI will do an excellent job with the show's packaging and artbox (which was redesigned after the first version received some criticism).

Meanwhile, shoujo-ai is growing increasingly popular, and not just among horny teenage boys. Maria-sama ga Miteru, a sweet but quiet anime, has gained an incredibly large fanbase... an amazing accomplishment when one considers that it's only thirteen episodes long and contains not a single whit of action.

In other words, the two genres have come a long way. I don't really care where we take this; it's a pretty broad subject, to say the least. What aspect of shounen-ai/shoujo-ai would you like to discuss first?

~Dagger~

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^; ive been waiting for something like this to come up!
For shounen-ai What most people ask is WHY is it so popular...well i guess it depends on who you ask..for example fan-girls think its cute that two cute guys are in love w/ each other..and for some people its because its so very different from the norm of magical girls or action though that it does not mean shounen-ai or shoujou-ai cant contain them..for example Semiaden which is a shounen-ai with quite a bit of action or Shoujou Kakumei Utena which in esscence is a magical girl story thoguht with a complete new twist.

While its true that shounen-ai and shojou ai has become more popular in animation it still cant beat its manga counterparts...there is a butt load of yaoi or june mangas and not even a fraction of those are ever made in to anime

my faves.

Gravitation-probably one of the most well known..its cute and funny and has great music...but the manga i think is more detailed and Yuki eiri is much less of an *** in it

Fake-its a cute story..if not totatlly fictional...*sigh* if the NYPD was really like that...oh ..can't i dream

Love Mode-ahhh...i know its a manga..but its probably one of the best..though it would be more along the lines of yaoi ...

Descendants Of Darkness-yami no matsuei- ohh!! horror, magic, and the most evil villian on the face of the earth! this anime has it all and alot of homoerotic subtexts...or the more blatently obvious Muraki-sensei and his constant harassing of the main character and thers also quite a bot of blood and gore..

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]i always wonder why people think that only lustful fangirls ever watch a yaoi series (and why i get called a lustful fangirl when i talk about my favorite series). ever look at Gundam Wing? there are so many (fanfiction) stories about yaoi pairings from that series, and yet there are no hints within the series ('less you're a lust-crazed fangirl looking for any excuse to find a boy-boy pairing). Same with my favorite series, Weiss Kreuz. No yaoi pairings are even hinted. Heck, all the characters (with the possible exception of Yohji) are straight and show it plainly, yet fangirl stories are mostly yaoi pairings. (i'm not excluding my own work from this. i've written a few yaoi fics.)

so here's something i dug up from one of my favorite sites, [URL=http://www.heerosferret.com/toast.html]Heero Is Not Toast (H.I.N.T.)[/URL] . Yamato-san wrote a pretty little [URL=http://www.heerosferret.com/toast_other_rant_yaoi.shtml]rant[/URL] about why no one can be right when it comes to searching out yaoi in GW, and i think it applies to bunches of 'yaoi' series. (of course, there are series like Gravi which are very yaoi and show it, but this is for the stuff like Wing.) Take a look. i think it's well worth reading and Yamato-san is right.[/FONT]

[quote name='Balinese][FONT=Comic Sans MS]so here's something i dug up from one of my favorite sites, [URL=http://www.heerosferret.com/toast.html]Heero Is Not Toast (H.I.N.T.)[/URL] . Yamato-san wrote a pretty little [URL=http://www.heerosferret.com/toast_other_rant_yaoi.shtml]rant[/URL'] about why no one can be right when it comes to searching out yaoi in GW, and i think it applies to bunches of 'yaoi' series. (of course, there are series like Gravi which are very yaoi and show it, but this is for the stuff like Wing.) Take a look. i think it's well worth reading and Yamato-san is right.[/FONT][/quote]

It always makes me happy when people link to something worthwhile. ^_^ There's so much fun to be had with official artwork.

However, "hints" can't be entirely discounted. You won't find any overt shounen-ai (or even shoujo-ai) in series like Revolutionary Girl Utena, but the show is [i]packed[/i] with innuendo and sexual symbolism, which at times has made it somewhat controversial. Gender confusion is only the beginning.

Gravitation provides some excellent examples of different types of homosexual implications. Yuki and Shuuichi are obviously in a romantic relationship. Tohma's affection for Yuki could theoretically be overlooked, as it's never stated outright and they rarely have any physical interaction. Shuuichi and Hiro get all over each other--particularly in the manga--but this is basically fangirl fodder... unless you're reading Remix. ^_~

One of my favorite couples is also among the most hotly debated: Hiei and Kurama, from the popular anime Yu Yu Hakusho. Yoshihiro Togashi stated that although he didn't orginally intend for them to be together, fans should be able to interpret their relationship in any way they wish. He supports homosexual couples, and two of the show's characters (Sensui and Itsuki) [i]are[/i] bisexual or gay. This, at least, is canon. Everything else--even official artwork--only makes the situation more confusing.

What qualifies as canon? I have a hard time answering that question.... anyone else feel like giving it a shot? ^_^

~Dagger~

I LOVE Shounen-ai, though maybe I don't show it. Sadly, I have never read any Shounen-Ai manga, or seen any Anime.[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_13_1.gif[/img][/url] Hiei and Kurama would make a good pairing. ^_^ I do, in fact, believe that they are together, but I can't prove it. One of my favourite pairings, which would never happen, are Satoshi and Shigeru from Pokemon. C'mon, you know that'd look good. ^_^ My friend Moya, on another forum, supports Yaoi greatly. She drew me a picture of Ash and Gary together. It was so adorable! I am now currently writing a fan fiction between the two. Shoujo-Ai is also cool. I've never seen any, and don't have any pairings...[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_4.gif[/img][/url]

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]
What qualifies as canon? I have a hard time answering that question.... anyone else feel like giving it a shot? ^_^
[/QUOTE]

I've always found that to be a frustratingly vague subject, especially when trying to reconcile the claims of a creator with things that an entire fan base notices and accepts. My latest fun fact is that 51% of online Harry Potter fans think that a relationship between Sirius Black and Remus Lupin is 'practically' canon, though there has been absolutely no mention of it by the author. Weiss Kruez and Yami no Matsuei, though benefiting from very little exposure in the United States, have incredible popularity (and 'go-to reference' status) simply because they have the vaguest unconfirmed suggestions of shounen-ai. Creators of Gundam Wing (you know, the series so devoid of visible romance that one character's failures to kill another are meant to be interpreted as signs of deepest affection?) strenuously denied that there was any involvement between male characters of the series... then released official artwork showing one adolscent male holding another posessively. Clearly, silence and denial make little difference (significantly less so if mixed messages get sent) to the fans, which makes canon a less and less relevant--or definable-- phrase.

That... really didn't help at all.

[QUOTE]Weiss Kruez and Yami no Matsuei, though benefiting from very little exposure in the United States, have incredible popularity (and 'go-to reference' status) simply because they have the vaguest unconfirmed suggestions of shounen-ai. Creators of Gundam Wing (you know, the series so devoid of visible romance that one character's failures to kill another are meant to be interpreted as signs of deepest affection?)[/QUOTE]

Yami no Matsuei is a very intresting series..since the two main chracters definately "care " for each other..but they both have a lot of "issues" to come over before they can be declared as a couple
Gundam Wing- ive seen this about twice..and really i could not find much shounen-ai hints..really thats saying a whole lot coming from me

Canon-there is really no such thing...supposedly its what the suthor ment as the main pairing but saying so wont change alot of fangirl's finds and it really does not matter much

[COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Why do I like Shounen-ai?[/B]
I honestly think that it's a girl thing. I'm not gonna try and sound deep by saying that I [I]initially[/I] like it because of the story and such. I'm a chick and [although the bishies are NOT real] I get a bit turned on when I see good-looking males engage in romance. NO! I do NOT watch Yaoi--haven't gotten that far^^ . I know my limits. But what I'm trying to say is that, fundamentally, I think it's a chick thing--hormones, et al. Once the initial 'interest' has been established, THEN we start looking at the story, characters...etc.

As for Shoujo-ai [again the 'chick thing'], it doesn't interest me and...I'd rather NOT watch it. It doesn't respulse me--it's just preference [come now, how many guys do you know would sit down and voluntarily watch Shounen-ai stuff? Not many]. The only Shoujo-ai stuff I've watched is Revolutionary Girl Utena: the Movie--and it was strange.

Umm...I'm not too familiar with the Shounen-ai terminology like Canon vs. Non-canon and Slashy vs Not Slashy. Would someone like to clarify them for me?

That's all I got to say for now. *^^*

[/COLOR]

i have mixed emotions about shounen ai, usually they are bad.
I really have no problem with it as long as it isn't in your face and loud about it. Its not that i think it is wrong, just not my taste.
The only one i have seen is Descendents of Darkness, i saw the hong kong subtitled version so it was totally unedited. I won't attempt to spell yami no Matsuei correctly.

It was good and just on the brink with me, the guy stroking a wine glass stem was a bit weird but not horrible.

So i guess in short, the genre is just fine with me so i won't bash it.

[QUOTE=vegeta rocker]i have mixed emotions about shounen ai, usually they are bad.
I really have no problem with it as long as it isn't in your face and loud about it. Its not that i think it is wrong, just not my taste.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Monkey_Orange]It doesn't respulse me--it's just preference [come now, how many guys do you know would sit down and voluntarily watch Shounen-ai stuff? Not many'].[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Though my response may be a bit short [don't set me on fire or anything ^^;]--but the 2 quotes above demonstrates my point, right? It's a 'chick thing'!!!

I prefer my Shounen-ai with a dash of humor [like [B]Fake[/B]], or equally, a dash of angst [like [B]Mirage of Blaze[/B]].
[/COLOR]

[quote name='Cahoots34']My latest fun fact is that 51% of online Harry Potter fans think that a relationship between Sirius Black and Remus Lupin is 'practically' canon, though there has been absolutely no mention of it by the author.[/quote]

Haha, that's the only reason I ever venture near HP's frighteningly enormous (and surprisingly slash-friendly) fandom. At least they make a more plausible couple than, say, Harry and Draco. I can't even count how many times I've seen authors get their panties in a bunch trying to find a good reason for Draco to become Mr. Nice Guy.

[quote name='Monkey_Orange]Though my response may be a bit short [don't set me on fire or anything ^^;']--but the 2 quotes above demonstrates my point, right? It's a 'chick thing'!!![/quote]

Girls tend to accept shoujo-ai rather easily--at least in the sense that they rarely denounce it as disgusting--but guys are often much more wary of shounen-ai. While I know gay and bi males who adore shows like Gravitation, straight fans can be quite difficult to find.

I happen to like shounen-ai, shoujo-ai and everything in between.... I honestly couldn't tell you whether that makes my tastes unusual. Anyway, your attitude towards fictional lesbian relationships is perfectly understandable; I wish everyone were as accepting. It really annoys me when die-hard yaoi fans reject shoujo-ai as gross or simply the product of overactive male hormones (obviously the opposite applies to yuri lovers).

[quote]Umm...I'm not too familiar with the Shounen-ai terminology like Canon vs. Non-canon and Slashy vs Not Slashy. Would someone like to clarify them for me?[/quote]

Those terms are mainly related to fanfiction. Canon refers to anything which is explicitly stated or shown during the anime (manga, book, etc.) in question. Clearly not every relationship will be laid out in black and white, so viewers must sometimes make inferences based on subjective material such as body language, suggestive dialogue and so forth.

Here's an example based on the Yami no Matsuei television series.

Unquestionably canon: Hisoka is an empath.

Up in the air: Hisoka is madly in love with Tsuzuki.

Non-canon: Hisoka is madly in love with Muraki.

"Slash" is just a synonym for shounen-ai. It's most commonly found in non-anime fandoms such as Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Monkey_Orange][COLOR=DarkOrange']It's a 'chick thing'!!![/COLOR][/quote]
I definately agree. I once saw a definition of both yaoi and yuri as "the naiive and feminine belief that love transcends gender." While the naiivete is questionable, same-gender coupling _is_ a concept embraced predominantly by females. (Whether or not this is partially influenced by society's rigid expectations for males remains to be seen.) Even if it is a question of hormones alone, the guys are still missing out in a big way.

[quote name='Monkey_Orange][COLOR=DarkOrange]I prefer my Shounen-ai with a dash of humor [like [B]Fake[/B]], or equally, a dash of angst [like [B]Mirage of Blaze[/B]']. [/COLOR][/quote]
If you like your shounen-ai with comedy-- and I know I do-- I'd suggest Eerie Queerie. (I know, I hate the title too.) It is (surprisingly enough) a sweet, funny series that deals ever-so-lightly with death, posession, and teenage relationships. If you liked Fake, you'll probably enjoy this.

To do a _completely_ random subject change, there's been a lot of talk about shounen-ai series, but very little about shoujo-ai. Aside from the most famous (infamous?), Shoujo Kakumei Utena, I find very few series where the token lesbian(s) get(s) more of a role than the eccentric best friend or pair of mysterious yet approachable lovers, an inequality that infuriates me to no end. Would it be so hard or unsuccessful to create a witty, entertaining comedy featuring a female couple? Anyway, if anyone knows of a few worthwhile shoujo-ai series, I'd love to hear about them.

[color=green][size=1]

I have a reputation for my posting at these kinda threads. Mainly because I get in arguements about the rightness of fan fic shounen-ai/shoujo-ai pairings against the shows pairings of lovers.

I'll just say this. I'm a fan of one shoujo-ai manga that I actually havn't read, but seen several panels of. Its called HEN and its about these too girls in college who both have boy freinds, but when they meet each other and threw several mishabs and situations, they end up falling in love with each other. The main reason I like this is because I feel for the Ex's. I mean, they play a major role in the story and they go threw alot of pain, and its like a feeling of "I feel for you man". Thats really why.

But I'm not really a fan of any of the others. In fact, I havn't even read HEN, I just like the story that was told threw the panel's in japanese I saw. Its just not my thing really. I like a good love story just as good as anyone else, but falling in love with some one of the same sex isn't something I can really relate too, and the reason I like most anime is because I relate to one or more characters in the show (InuYasha I relate with Miroku or Koga)(Ranma 1/2 I relate with Ryoga). So, its not that I'm homophobic or against it. I just don't relate to it. So, I really just can't comment on fandom.

My only other opinion is that I very much so, HATE made up pairings in fan fiction using straight characters. I don't know why, it just really gets under my skin. I just hate though's Miroku/InuYasha or Vash/Wolfwood pairings so. Mainly because they are taking the characters I love so and can relate to so with their girl problems, and then making it to were they fall in love with each other after they prove their own heterosexuality and in some cases, homophobia (Vash displays this once when a drunken man clings to him, asking for a drink). But I won't get too deep into this.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Cahoots34']Aside from the most famous (infamous?), Shoujo Kakumei Utena, I find very few series where the token lesbian(s) get(s) more of a role than the eccentric best friend or pair of mysterious yet approachable lovers, an inequality that infuriates me to no end. Would it be so hard or unsuccessful to create a witty, entertaining comedy featuring a female couple? Anyway, if anyone knows of a few worthwhile shoujo-ai series, I'd love to hear about them.[/quote]

May I suggest [b]Marimite[/b]?

Maria-sama ga Miteru, otherwise known as "The Virgin Mary is Watching You" (in the realm of bizarre titles, even the much-referenced Eerie Queerie pales in comparison to this one), is a thirteen episode series that finished airing less than a month ago. Be warned that Marimite's appeal isn't entirely universal; it took me quite a while to accept its storytelling style. Only after becoming attached to a certain character did I really enjoy the show.

Idealistic and serious, Marimite has an enormous fanbase. Since I'm too lazy to write a summary on my own, here's what ANN has to say about it:

"Yumi is a first year student at the Lillian School For Girls, an exclusive all girl's catholic school. The school has a tradition that older girls take a younger girl as their little sister or "soeur" in order to instruct and look out for them.

Though Yumi admires Sachiko, a reserved second year student who is a member of the student council, she has no hopes of being chosen as her soeur. When an innocent encounter leads Sachiko to impulsively ask Yumi to be her soeur, Yumi is suddenly brought into the inner circle of the Roses, who are the members of the student council. With Sachiko at her side, Yumi begins to unravel and understand the relationships between the Roses and their soeurs and figure out her own feelings for Sachiko."

These comments are basically accurate. In terms of sheer explicitness, Marimite would fall somewhere between Yami no Matsuei and Gravitation; the girls obviously love each other but romantic physical interaction is pretty rare. If you do decide to watch this (it's been fansubbed by a number of well-known groups), I'd advise downloading several episodes before deciding how you feel about it. Episode 11 is a stunning example of shoujo-ai done well; in my opinion, the series is worth seeing for that segment alone.

~Dagger~

[color=firebrick] Yum, non-canon. Lol, [b]so[/b] many people hate non-canon shounen-ai/yaoi pairings, though.

First off, not many anti-shounen-ai/yaoi people say much about shows/mangas like [b]Graviation, Yami no Matsuei, FAKE, etc.[/b] but they do anything to protest about even the slightest non-canon.

My interests border non-canon and semi-canon, because it's not a split line. For example, probably my favorite shounen-ai pairing of all time is Kaworu and Shinji from [b]Neon Genesis Evangelion[/b], but it's such a controversial relationship that there are tons of rants/essays that try to persuade either way. Shinji shows signs of homophobia with Kaji yada yada yada Kaworu said "I love you" to Shinji blah blah blah. I've read most of them, and you can't really tell if love was intended or not. Another one I like is Satoshi/Daisuke, but [b]DN Angel[/b] shounen-ai hasn't gotten that popular...yet. I don't like any canon shounen-ai pairings...really. :/ Hey, I even got into Harry Potter stuff once. I do think that RPS sort of gets out of hand, though.

Then you can take shows like [b]Gundam Wing[/b] and [b]WeiB Kreuz[/b]. Puh-leeze. Five very handsome guys, practicaly no girls [in case you haven't noticed, a majority of GW fans [b]loathe[/b] Relena Peacecraft], and before you know it a giant mass of obsessive fangirls will jump on it and suck it for all its worth. Definately non canon, but it can't be considered way, WAY non-canon if you get what I'm saying. There's even a official picture of Heero and Duo is this bone-curnching hug [not in the friendly way] and about four Kaworu/Shinji official picture that lean toward shounen-ai. Weib Kreuz is just self-explanatory if you have the slightest idea what the anime is about.

Then there is the obvious non-canon. Some favs are Vash/Wolfwood, Inuyasha/Miroku, Kenshin/Sanoske [O_o;;]... I mean, crap, there's even Invader ZIM slash and video game shounen-ai/yaoi.

[b]*cough*FINALFANTASYSEVENANDKINGDOMHEARTS*cough*[/b]

I really like Cloud/Sephiroth now that I think of it. *coughs* You know...even though Cloud [spoiler]impaled Sephiroth[/spoiler]...but there's a perfectly good explanation! O_O I think.

I used to be this ravenous obsessive fangirl, so I don't mind definate non-canon pairings, but a lot of people mind them. I guess it's pretty silly to people to complain about it, though. We're talking about the internet here, you're not going to stop every fangroup that you dislike. It's pointless and all you're going to do is make a fool of yourself if you're flaming them. [they either attack you violently or ignore you. *shrugs*] I've seen my fair share of anti-shounen-ai FANFICTIONS on fanfiction.net [stupid, eh?].

To end my crappily put together post, I love shounen-ai to death. The only thing I'm against is yaoi. *shrugs*[/color]

[color=green][size=1]

And to think that your club used to be "Yaoi/Shounen-ai Fan Club". Huh.

You of all peole know my stand point on this situation. And your right, its pointless to flame, that why I have reframed from it and posted my opinion. Now, on the note of the Sephiroth/Cloud thing.... yeah, lovers tend to impale blades threw each other, kill their ex-lovers, and kill each other before going steady. Now, if their was a shounen-ai pairing I didn't mind and maybe even liked, its the Shinji/Kaworu pairing. Probably because one, Shinji never said he disliked him, two, Kaworu is a hermaphrodite being an angel and all (so technically, its half gay, half straight) and three, [spoiler]Shini pops his "lovers" head off like a pez dispenser[/spoiler]. Wow, what a way to end a relationship, huh?

As for the Gundam Wing pairings, I could care less because I hate that show anyways. I mean, I do dislike the Heero/Duo pairing because Duo strikes me as the womanizer type (guess he a manizer) and that Heero is pretty much in love with Relena Peacecraft (I know why the fan girls hate her, she stands between Heero and the rest of the shounen-ai fantasies they beg for). But, I don't really care anyways.[/color][/size]

[color=firebrick] O_o I'm sorry if you were offended or anything, but it was meant to be taken as a joke. The only reason that I've changed the title of my 'club' is because I didn't know the difference between shounen-ai and yaoi a long time ago. And as I wrote in my previous post, the relationship between Kaworu and Shinji is very controversial. You can take it one way or another, I could care less. Trying to disprove or persuade a fan of a pairing is basically as useless as flaming. [/color]

I recently read on ANN that a three-episode Mirage of Blaze OVA is currently being produced. Since I'm very interested in MoB and have yet to buy the series, I'd love to hear other fans' thoughts on this news.

On a side note, Reflux, most people have pairings--straight, gay, lesbian, whatever--that they find utterly abhorrent. I personally cannot stand the idea of Amon (from Witch Hunter Robin) getting together with anyone other than Robin herself. Similarly, I would have a fit if Touga and Utena (from Revolutionary Girl Utena) became a couple; in my mind, he's meant for Saionji.

I find it utterly amazing and just a little sad that hardcore yaoi OVAs like Level C were released in North America long before Gravitation, which by comparison looks no less benign than My Neighbor Totoro or Spirited Away.

~Dagger~

Maburaho is a really fun shounen anime to watch. Midori no hibi as of 2 episodes is also surprisingly funny and cute. I really do enjoy this genre and I hear ah my goddess is getting a sequel! thats the best shounen romance comedy that exists really and Im glad to see the AMG world continued with a new series. Im stoked for it.

[QUOTE=ReFlux][color=green][size=1]
.... yeah, lovers tend to impale blades threw each other, kill their ex-lovers, and kill each other before going steady. [/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Er, have you ever read X/1999?

(It's yet another series with loads of 'interesting' implications, where that actually does seem to be the standard method of courtship among the main characters. Romantic, ne? I'm speaking only from information inferred by the first eight books and a multitude of spoiler sites, though, so please excuse me if I'm taking nonsense. I tend to do that quite often, as I'm sure you've noticed.)

[QUOTE].... yeah, lovers tend to impale blades threw each other, kill their ex-lovers, and kill each other before going steady.[/QUOTE]

I Agree with Cahoots ,Clamp is known for their tortured relationships.. Fumma and Kamui [spoiler] fumma does kill kamui's first love and has impaled kamui on several occasions [/spoiler]and there hate/ love relationship. Probably the most well know is of Seishirou x Subaru [spoiler] subaru hates seishirou... he loves seishirou... they try to kill each other at every turn ....finally he does kill seishirou he has a complete mental breakdown...^^;[/spoiler]
there are 7 vol of Tokyo Babylon and 18+ vol of X for Fumma and Kamui to back up thess messed up stories.. so yes they do tend to try to kill each other sometimes..

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]I recently read on ANN that a three-episode Mirage of Blaze OVA is currently being produced. Since I'm very interested in MoB and have yet to buy the series, I'd love to hear other fans' thoughts on this news.
[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Simply to put it: I am VERY happy *^^* even though it won't come to the US for a while longer *sad*

I enjoyed watching [B]MoB[/B]. Yes, it's definitely Shounen-ai. BUT, don't think that it has comedy or anything--it's a pretty serious story with lots of Japenese history [very interesting--you better be good at keeping track of names].

*sniff* I loved the story. Sadly, the 13 episode series was just NOT enough to cover the entire story of the novels themselves. After I finished watching the series, I kept banging my head against the wall crying out loud "why oh why do I not know Chinese?!?" If so, then I could easily go out and buy the rest of the novels!

Well, I'm happy about the OVAs because hopefully it'll tell the viewers more of the story. *sighs* Of course, more Naoe is also a good thing *drools* ^^;

[/COLOR]

Anyone who likes comedic shounen-ai should get a huge kick out of [b]Kyou Kara Maou[/b], which is being fansubbed by LivE-EviL and Shoujo-Ai (oddly enough) as well as AnimeOne. Although it's still relatively new, I am confident that this series will continue to be heartwarming and hilarious. Unless something goes drastically wrong in future episodes, it's definitely a must-see.

As of now, Kyou Kara Maou's shounen-ai content is at approximately the same level as Yami No Matsuei's. I personally find KKM more satisfying even though it features less physical contact, mainly because its characters' affections are made quite clear and the script doesn't dance around the subject of homosexual relationships. For example, in episode 2 (the following isn't a big spoiler), [spoiler]the male lead accidentally becomes engaged to another boy, and learns that this is not considered unusual in the country where he has come to live.[/spoiler]

I've noticed that a surprisingly large number of guys also seem to like KKM, which just goes to demonstrate how funny it really is. If you want to learn more about the anime, PM me, ask here, or read the official Kyou Kara Maou thread. I'd post a couple screenshots, but my computer is behaving rather strangely at the moment. Suffice it to say that this is probably the best-animated shounen-ai series I've seen thus far.

[quote name='Cahoots34']Er, have you ever read X/1999?[/quote]

[i]Well[/i] said. ^_~

~Dagger~

[color=darkviolet]I've never actually watched or read any shonen/shojo ai stories. Well, maybe that's not entirely true, you'd be amazed what you can get talked into when you're drunk and tired. *cough* La Blue Girl *cough* Stupid pointless anime, but everybody has something going on.

I've seen Revolutionary Girl Utena a few times and there's always been insinutated stuff about Utena and Anthey. The movie clinched it. So I guess that counts as semi-canon shojo Ai.

Then there's thoseGundam Wing fanfic writers who pair Hiiro with Duo. Personally, I'd pair Hiiro With Trowa becuase I think they'd be least likely to kill eachother no matter what everyone else says.

Oh and this picture from (I think ) #6 of the SailorMoon manga where Takeuchi Naoko drew a rather interesting picture with Minako and Usagi holding eachother and Minako was groping Usagi. Maybe she was hinting at something? Probably not, but we can always try, right?

The only shonen-Ai I'd stay away from are those twisted slash writers who pair Sesshomaru with InuYasha. Call me closed minded, but I think [i][b]That's[/b][/i] disturibing.

I guess you can say I have no problem with it even if I don't watch it on a regular basis. and I don't think it's just a 'chick' thing. Tell teh truth, how many guys have gotten excited about the thought of two girls kissing?[/color]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet']I guess you can say I have no problem with it even if I don't watch it on a regular basis. and I don't think it's just a 'chick' thing. Tell teh truth, how many guys have gotten excited about the thought of two girls kissing?[/color][/quote]

That's true to a certain extent. However, I usually prefer shoujo-ai series aimed primarily at women (Marimite and Revolutionary Girl Utena would both fall into this category). Many shounen romantic comedies incorporate some suggestion of shoujo-ai--for precisely the reason you mentioned earlier--but I find that these anime are more concerned with fanservice and objectifying women than portraying any kind of actual relationship.

Similarly, certain shounen-ai productions come across as being rather exploitative.... yet on the whole, these are less popular than genuine romances like Gravitation. That's something to think about, I guess.

~Dagger~