OtakuBoards

At what age did you start watching anime?

Elk

Well started watching anime since i was bout 11. I'm 15 now. i started with what was on toonami mostly DBZ and gundam. i wish they would put evangelion on Toonami and toonami on sat. nights (unedited tho).

My favorite are animes Evangelion, gundam(all series), outlaw star, Chobits and FF unlimited.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=GREEN]I think the first anime I saw was the old Sonic series. I, like many of you, didn't realize that this was anime until several years later. I was about 6 or 7 at the time. A few years later, I got into Sailor Moon. Also, I remember seeing one episode of a strange series around this time. I would find out later that this series was Dragonball Z. I don't remember exactly when I found out that these shows were anime or that they were even from Japan, but it must have happened around seventh or eighth grade, and it must not have bothered me too much.

Seventh grade led to my Pokemon phase (nearly every anime fan between the ages of 15 and 20 has had one, so no one should be embaressed). It is my opinion that Pokemon was responsible for many of today's young anime fans. From there it went to DBZ and Gundum Wing and since then, I've been hooked. So that makes 12 years of watching anime and 6 years of being an avid fan of it.[/COLOR]

I was 8 when I first stumbled across Dragonball. It was in Spanish so I kept it on that channel till it was over, then Ranma 1/2 came on after Dragonball and from there the story went on. But then I saw that Sonic was an anime so that takes me back like around when I was 6. But I watched little of Sonic so that couldn't be consider as my first anime that I actually watched. Eventually my subscription to the satallite would horrifically end and it was the end of my anime watching. Until I got Dish Network and my friends told me about Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network. Well when my old subscription ended, I was on the "Cell Games" when Gohan was getting ready to fight for the first time. Well when my friends told me about it been on Cartoon Network, it was on the Freeza Saga. The bad thing about it was that I didn't have Cartoon Network along with the package that I currently had at that time. It was a year later that I finally got Cartoon Network and watched Dragonball Z, to my surprise I didn't feel glad watching it. It was heavily edited and the dubbing was just plain horrible. I liked it better in Spanish were it was uncut and the dubbed was the same along with the Japanese dialouge. Eventually DBZ would bore me and I found other animes along, IE: Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Gundam, Transformers, Inu-yasha, etc. etc. etc.

I started watching anime when I was um... 8 years old. I watched Speed Racer on Cartoon Network. (Those were the days...) Um, but I DID watch SatAM when I was about 5 or so... (Which is the old Sonic series for you non-Sonic obsessers) I don't know if that's anime or not... *wonders* :confused:

[COLOR=Pink]I remeber always watching anime. Starting with Speed Racer. I use to watch reruns on Beta that my grandpa recorded. (I even still have them and a Beta player it looks really bad now compared to what we have now.) Than i went into transformers and than as soon as i was old enough i started ordering them straight from Japan. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=Pink]~MEW~
<((_^)>[/COLOR]

[i][font=bookantique]I started at a young age with Speed Racer and Sonic the Hedge Hog and grew up not realizing I like anime more then I thought. My brother got into Pokemon when it first came out and I was fully into Sailor Moon and started to collect anime movies and series and OVAs I see hanging around in stores. By then anime wasn't so cheap as it is today or well cheaper anyway. My first anime films were Darkside Blues and Vampire Hunter D. Awsome as ever![/font][/i]

:D

Hmh? i remember that day well. i was 13 at the time and i remember begining up late on a saturday. It was during the summer holidays and i was just flicking thought the channals and i came acroos the sci-fi channal and saw this cartoon but i reconised it as japanese cause of pokemon stlye. i thought cool but soon did i relise this was no pokemon type manga thing. This was brutal bloody anime. I didnt know what it was at first until i looked in the tv guide i saw it called geno cyber. i went to bed at 4:00 after watching that and madox 0-1. The next day i was on the net resercing that film and found that it was called anime and went on to the scifi website and found it showed em every sat nite. So the next night i saw macross 2 lovers again and the next week bubblegum crash. hat show turned me into a anime geek. I was hooked. Bubble gum took me to a whole new world. Then i found the crisis series and then a year later ad police files. So for the next 2 years i was watching all these old a some new animes. Some good some bad and some just really sick like adventure duo and return of overfiend ( No offence hentai fans). Then i became bored of these cause they were just repeating them over and over again. So for a 3 months i went with out anime and then i discovered toonami and my fav anime series eva outlaw star. :D THE END

Hmm, I start watching anime in age before I knew they was anime. In a time I didn't know a different or even cared..lol. What I used to watch may even be consider classic or anicent. Heh those Popeye cartoon use to crack me up. Mind you, no they wasn't the black and whites for I am not that old.
But at my age the most adventurious anime was Transformer Generation one. I can't say exactly how old I was, only that I loved watching them. And that what got me on the road for watching anime.

Great, something where I have to think....

Let's see, I would have to say I was about 13 and my first series was Sailor Moon. The funny thing is, I'm now 17 and I find Sailor Moon to bve more enjoyable than half the crap out there. (No offense DBZ/GT fans...)

I bought my first DVD Christmas Eve 2002, which happened to be the third voulme of Outlaw Star. 1 1/3 years later, I've blown countless amounts of cash and have acquired 55 total DVDs, including 6 full series (Boogiepop Phantom, Crest of the Stars, Outlaw Star, Noir, Excel Saga, and Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Guest jisuseru
i started watching anime when i was about five years old then i stopped and started again when i was twelve :wigout:

[quote name='jisuseru']i started watching anime when i was about five years old then i stopped and started again when i was twelve :wigout:[/quote]

Well... you answered the original question, but it'd be cool if you provided us with a better explanation of how you became a fan. For example, what was the first anime you ever saw, and what series or movie hooked you when you were twelve? Those kind of details encourage everyone to participate and make the thread more interesting for other members to read.

Feel free to PM me or one of the other moderators with any questions about how to improve your post quality. ^_^

~Dagger~

[SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkRed]Well i started watching anime when i was like 6. You know like Roman Warriors and Tranceformers. Then after my gundum wing craze i started to get into the more cool and Fictional animes like iunyasha, and FLCL, stuff like that. Now days at the age of 17 i still love all of them even the ones i liked over 11 years ago. Well i gotta go time for class.

:o "Love Is Hating Someone, That You Love" :o

Samaru[/COLOR][/SIZE]

If you mean from when you saw the very first anime of your life, then I was 4 at the time. I saw an old DragonBall episode. Bulma had to dress up in a bunny cotume due to the lack of clean clothes in the house that where made for women. However, like I said, I have an anti-anime family. So as soon as my mother walked in the door, she turned the channel...*sigh*...I wanted to see the rest of that episode!

Im not sure what age i saw my first anime. i was really young and i think it was either the guyver or battle of the planets.
The first series i watched properly was season one of sailor moon when i was about six or seven. Then i went on to watch other kids anime like pokemon, digimon and cardcaptor sakura.
The other year i discovered Sci-fi showed films and series and ive been addicted ever since.

Guest lita_lynn
[FONT=Verdana]The first anime I watched was Voltron, although at that point I did not know what anime was. So I would guess that I'd have to say the first anime i really paid attention to was Sailor Moon. Does anyone know when exactly that came to Toonami? It must have been what, 10 years ago? I got addicted and bought all the comics (except the first 1 and the prequel 3). After Sailor Moon I watched whatever anime was on Cartoon Network and have been renting, borrowing, buying and downloading ever seen. Man I miss Sailor Moon :bawl:

Lita Lynn (:[/FONT]

[color=gray]At my 8th or something there was some series on FoxKids with a bunch of Robots that were killing monsters in space. It really looked like gundam but in Gundam are no monsters -.-

But it might be that I have already seen Pokémon before that... I'm not really sure.[/color]

Guest Blue Kimono
[color=black]I started watching Anime when I was about 9 years old. ;)

[COLOR=#503F86][size=1][b]Please add more detail to your posts, Blue Kimono. This is insufficient. Put as much thought into replies as you can; which anime did you see, what did you think of it, what do you think of it now, for example. All this makes posts far more interesting to read. After all, it's what they're meant for. -Solo[/COLOR][/size][/color][/b]

[color=blue]I started watching anime, when I was a kid. I loved shows as Robotech and Voltron and Mazinger Z ans such. Seeing anime as in I knew it was anime, I started at maybe 16/17 and the shows were Angel of Darkness wich was a HEntai and Ninja Scroll. I fell in love with NInja Scroll so badly I ended up buying it and hidding it from my parents for the strong content.

Ever since them, I've been watching anime in one form or another and I am 24 right now![/color]

THe first movie I ever saw (anime of course) was "My Neighbor Tatoroe" I remember it only faintly cause I was around 5 or so. My bro said I'd seen a show once our grandma taped for us long time ago but I don't remember; however, I didn't really start watching anime til I ws .. oh... I donno,. I think it was 12 or 13. THough I allways like it deep down! :love:

Guest Spike88
I was always into the new style Japanese movies but I guess I saw my first anime episode I can ever remember at the age of like 7 or 8. It was dragonball z on a saturday morning before it was put on cartoon network. I don't remember what channel but I do remember the first episode I saw and it was when vegeta kills Napa. Anyways I was hooked form then on but I didn't think it would take to the age of 15 until I had seen the final episode of a series I started watching at the age of 7 or 8 anyways that show was drawn out way to long but anyways who cares I will always love it even though there are better ones out there now.

Started watching anime at the age of 9. My friend got me interested in it. He was a die hard fan. First one I ever saw was Slayers. Then I started hunting down other animes. I am now a die hard otaku. Other then Pokemon (no offense but it should've accepted death years ago), I watched very good anime, like Inuyasha, Trigun. I still am a die hard fan, and other then Slayers (which I cannot find) Still watch the good stuff.

I was 4 and it was Astro Boy and it was love at first sight.

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Please add more detail to your posts. Considering what I've seen of yours already this is a little odd. I know the subject matter doesn't leave a lot to actually say, but you could give details about what you thought of the anime then/what you think of it and your tastes now, etc. Just things to flesh it out a bit. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]