OtakuBoards

At what age did you start watching anime?

Elk

I think I was about 6 or seven when I saw my first anime. It was the first season of Sailor Moon on Cartoon Network. Sailor Moon dub is really bad, but I was little, and it got me into anime. :D

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SpaceCowboy156
I watched my first aneme when i was five, i dont know what it was called and it was all in japanise but it still holds fond memories. it was a move not a show aand i saw a tape sitting on the shelf of our tv(a rented one) my mom watched it and put it in for me to watch. i sware it was about 3-5 hrs long but i sat there all day and my obsession of anime only grew sience then. now my favorite anime is FLCL or cowboy bebop, cant decide.

:babble: Well the first anime film i saw was Akira when i was about seven when my brother was watching it. I couldn't really keep up with it though becuse thhe subtitles were too fast for me :rolleyes:

Then a couple of years later i became hooked on pokemon (like every other kid on the planet :rolleyes: ) and i watched that till i was about 11 and i realised how repetitive an wussy it was. :ball:

Then i watched sailor moon one day on fox kids when my brother made me watch it and i was hooked, well on sailor moon that is. (i cried when they stopped showing it. :eek: )

I still really wasn't into anime. But then one day i saw dragonball z on toonami and i was like i like this. So i watched all of that and more like outlaw star and yu-gi-oh and now i watch lods of other stuff. I can't say i really like dbz and pokemon anymore but i wouldn't say i hate them. Oh and i'm a shameless yu-gi-oh fan (the sub, mind) so please don't kill me!
:nervous:
Wow that's the longest post i've ever posted anywhere. I'm sorry for boring you all. :blush:

[QUOTE=Adora]
[size=1]Please add more detail to your posts. Considering what I've seen of yours already this is a little odd. I know the subject matter doesn't leave a lot to actually say, but you could give details about what you thought of the anime then/what you think of it and your tastes now, etc. Just things to flesh it out a bit. -Solo[/size][/QUOTE]
Ahh, well, sorry, my bad.
"I was 4 and it was Astro Boy and it was love at first sight."

That's the truth. I got hooked very quickly on the aesthetics of the animation, since it was like nothing I had seen before, in both execution and design. I'm still horribly shallow in that respect; if the art and animation in an anime is no good, I can't watch it. No matter how good the story is. Also, I liked the stories, obviously. I've always been into SF, so that probably also explains the attraction.

There were other animes and weird cartoons on when I was that age too. Stuff like the Lost Cities of Gold and Spartacus and the Sun Under the Sea (French production) but they just didn't have that same kick (yeah, I got addicted :) ) that Astro did. Now they're showing the new Astro Boy series on TV, I'm a very happy fangirl.

So, um, is that enough?

[QUOTE=Adora]Ahh, well, sorry, my bad.
"I was 4 and it was Astro Boy and it was love at first sight."

That's the truth. I got hooked very quickly on the aesthetics of the animation, since it was like nothing I had seen before, in both execution and design. I'm still horribly shallow in that respect; if the art and animation in an anime is no good, I can't watch it. No matter how good the story is. Also, I liked the stories, obviously. I've always been into SF, so that probably also explains the attraction.

There were other animes and weird cartoons on when I was that age too. Stuff like the Lost Cities of Gold and Spartacus and the Sun Under the Sea (French production) but they just didn't have that same kick (yeah, I got addicted :) ) that Astro did. Now they're showing the new Astro Boy series on TV, I'm a very happy fangirl.

So, um, is that enough?[/QUOTE][COLOR=#503F86]That's great ^_^ Thanks.

But you remember Mysterious Cities of Gold?! That's amazing. I thought I was the only one around who knew about it, heh. That was probably the very first non-US/UK animation I'd seen. I loved the storyline and the characters- everything about it just stood out that much more than the other TV programmes that were around. I liked He-Man and Thundercats, but MCOG actually had a real, long and diverse story to it. But as it was a Franco-Japanese animation, I'm not sure how strongly it counts as anime. But there is a sequel to it currently in production...

But I know what you mean about aesthetics- I'm the same way inclined. As much as people tell me Akira's a 'classic masterpiece', I don't want to watch it because I don't really like the style it's drawn in. I was even a little cautious about Castle in the Sky, but I was glad I bought it again anyway. A lot of modern animes are going for the thinner, spikier, slightly more mature and elegant look than the older, rounded ones though, so I'm happy.

The first pure Japanese anime I was really hooked on was Pokemon- I bought an N64 Magazine one day to look at Fox McCloud and I was indoctrinated through there. All the Nintendo coverage made it hard to ignore, heh. Thakfully, before too long I moved from that to Digimon (which I think is a far more superior series), Card Captors and so-on. I've not yet seen as many as some people *coughs*Dagger*coughs* (^_~), but I'm still eager to see more.[/COLOR]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]I guess I'd have to say that I first began watching Anime when I was around 5 or so. I believe the first Anime I saw was Sailor Moon, I was really into it back then, I'm not anymore, though. I was only 5 so I had no idea what Anime even was, but I guess that was the very first Anime I saw, so that's when it sort of started.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]Then, when I was 8 or so, I began watching Digimon, which was quickly followed by Pokemon. I continued watching those and still do watch them, heh. While everyone was really into Pokemon, I was really into Digimon. I didn't really get into Pokemon until after mostly everyone else was out of it.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]Then, when I was 10 or so, I watched Cowboy Bebop on Cartoon Network. I still didn't know that I was watching Anime, but that was when I was really getting into Anime, even though I didn't know what it was.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]Then, a few months later, my friend introduced me to Trigun and Dragonball Z and the others.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]Now I'm where I am today. I watch as much Anime as I can, when I can because I know what it is now. I was young and I didn't know what Anime was, but I was around 5 when I watched my first I'd say.[/color][/size][/font]

Guest soldier1337
i was 4 or 5 when i watched my first anime. it was some gundam style show that came on sci-fi in the mornings. i don't know what it was called but it really got me hooked. and now gundam wing and seed are two of my favorite shows. :D

I started watching anime when I was in 4th grade... and it was Pokemon! Man I almost miss watching that. I remember waking up at 6:30 in the morning to watch it when it came on at 7. Some kids at school got me watching it, they were always bringing the cards. That's when I officially converted to anime fangirl-ism, and I converted my cousin too. :D

[quote name='Solo Tremaine']But you remember Mysterious Cities of Gold?! That's amazing. I thought I was the only one around who knew about it, heh. That was probably the very first non-US/UK animation I'd seen. I loved the storyline and the characters- everything about it just stood out that much more than the other TV programmes that were around. I liked He-Man and Thundercats, but MCOG actually had a real, long and diverse story to it. But as it was a Franco-Japanese animation, I'm not sure how strongly it counts as anime. But there is a sequel to it currently in production...[/quote]
OMg really? YAY FOR NOSTALGIA! I'll be interested to see how they do it.

Also, dunno if anyone here knows anything about it, but there was a "foreign" (I don't know if it was anime, specifically) cartoon when I was a kid called "The Twins of Destiny". That was another one I really liked. I think it was a part French production as well.

[quote]But I know what you mean about aesthetics- I'm the same way inclined. As much as people tell me Akira's a 'classic masterpiece', I don't want to watch it because I don't really like the style it's drawn in. I was even a little cautious about Castle in the Sky, but I was glad I bought it again anyway. A lot of modern animes are going for the thinner, spikier, slightly more mature and elegant look than the older, rounded ones though, so I'm happy.[/quote]
Yeah... it's funny that. See, I call it "shoujoisation". Which I know sounds weird, but if you see the progression of dominant styles through the history of manga and anime, the whole style and form that most Western anime fans know as "anime" now has only come about through the integration of underground shoujo styles into the mainstream since the 60's. You still get stuff that's very much the old-style stuff though, like Tenisu no Oujisama (well, the manga at least, the anime is a lot different... mmm Oshitari) and GTO, but the stuff that seems to stand the test of time (like the numerous Gundam series) is very shoujo in its art influence (especially SEED. Heh, if Kira and Arthun were any cuter, they'd give me cavities! ^^). Shows & manga like Akira very much hark back to some of the very early styles, and even Gekinga (adult, more realistic manga). I really preferred the Akira manga though, because I had issues with watching the animated style of that art, but also it just did the story SO much better (I mean, the anime left out the entire subject of the gender issues, which was a very large part of the manga). So yeah.

But anyway, a little variety never hurts anything. Maybe in another 20 or so years the art styles will change again.

Being watching anime since 1982, that means 22 years already. My first anime is Electromagnetic Warrior Voltes 5, the anime which is banned by late kleptocrat Ferdinand Marcos of Phillippines because it features overt rebeliion to overthrow a tyrannt regime.

I was 7 years old when I was introduced to Voltes 5 which subsequently lead to anime. The real first serious anime that I enjoyed immensely though, is Barefoot Gen and Akira.

Oh wow.........hm.........I started watching anime in third grade..um about 8 years old. I was a big fan of Sailor Moon and Pokemon and i remember having a huge problem with them both being on @ 6:30 am and on different channels...heehee

Guest crazygirl21986
[COLOR=DarkRed]I started reading manga last year. It was actually the first time I had ever heard of anime or manga. I then got to watching anime about a day later when I was surfing through the channels and caught Inuyasha. Ever since then I have loved anime and been a big time fan of It. i am 18 now, so I watched it and started liking it when I was 17.[/COLOR]

Guest mysticshado
I watched pokemon when I was 8 or 9, then when I was 10 they had Gundam Wing on Toonami, and my interest just sorta took off from there...

[color=firebrick] I was very, [b]very[/b] obsessed with Totoro when I was young, and I forced my mom to rent it everytime we went to blockbuster and I enjoyed very much. ^_^. It's still one of my favorite movies...not to mention I have about fifty totoro dolls sitting in my room. :P

Well, I didn't know that the movie was placed under the category anime, but I guess that doesn't matter. I started watching Pokemon in fourth grade and started watching DBZ in sixth. I sort of abandoned anime for a short while before I picked up Neon Genesis Evangelion and moved on from there.[/color]

ummmmmmmmmmm i think i have to go back into a time machine for this one. be right back.

okay back. i started at the tender age of 5 , with anime's such as sailormoon and the original dragon ball. i am an anime freak, so if it's been on tv, i've watched it. i've born witness to every gundam series ever concieved, including all of the movies. I've seen all of the dragonball Z movies, so dont try to pull a fast one on me for that. after toonami came on cartoon network, ive been hooked. i dont like this miguzi thing though, a little too soft for me. After seeing toonami for the next four or five years, i decided to expand my horizons and bought movies from suncoast and that's when i stumbled upon anime's such as pet shop of horrors and ruroni kenshin. when the first commercials for adult swim anime came on, i made the largest drool puddle ever recorded. That is when inuyasha came into play, i have not missed a single episode of yasha since it's debut (someone might want to record that), and i'm an avid fan.

Well I know it was like when I was 8 or 9. First show I saw was Dragan Ball Z and I loved it the fluid action awsome stroy line I was hooked from day one. Since then I have been watching whatever I can get my hands on, even some bad thigns. First movie I saw was Akira and I was just holy **** this is awsome. I never knew anime could be that awsome till then. I then started bying the good stuff blowing hundreds on this animated crack whenever I could. I was in bliss from it, even when I travel I will wartch the local anime chanel in whatever language like Thai, French, German, Malay. And when I come home get these things for my selfyay!. Well I guess that tells how long I have been watching anime I guess well whatever.

Guest DracOnyx
Hmmm . . . not really sure there. I guess my first anime would have been the original Voltron, and the Transformers . . . as for actual ANIME that was my first TRUE introduction . . . I guess my first year of college would have been my introduction there. I watched 'Ninja Scroll' with a couple of friends of mine and became officially hooked on anime. So that would have been . . . 1995? Yeah, 1995, so about 9 years now.

gee, i dunno when i started watching anime. when i was younger i watched totoro and stuff...but i didnt know that was anime, till now...so if u consider when i watched totoro, that would be around five yrs old...then when i finally understood what anime was...i'd be about 10... :p

Wow, you all have been rather up on the Anime scene. I started watching it way back in the day, but I don't have cartoon network, or any resources to acquire materials to watch dvds or movies. I wish I could watch a lot more. But of what I've seen my favourite thus far is Ghost in the Shell. That one was great.

at around age 5 i believe. The first thing I watched was my neighbor Totoro, and then Sailor Moon...

Too bad i don't remember what happened in Totoro, jsut a couple scnes. X_O Gawd, I need to watch that again.

of course, didn't know they were anime at the moment. I did notice however that SailorMoon didn't take place in North America, i could tell by the kanji on a billboard in one episode and figured it must've token place someplace else.

Heehee, i was a smart kid. not anymore tho. ><

I started when i was about 10 :p

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Please add more detail to your posts in future, Blackrose_. This is far too short for OtakuBoards standards- one-sentence posts are against the rules, and hence spam. I understand that the actual question might not give a huge scope for an answer, but you have to elaborate as much as possible; for example- what was your first anime, what did you think of it, etc. This all makes it much more interesting for everyone else to read. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

Guest anime fan 4 eva
i started watchin anime when i was like 4 my cuz she was like an anime fan and we would sailor moon. i learned how to speed read from watchin all this subbed anime. so if i didn't watch anime subbed when i was really young i would be a very slow reader :p