OtakuBoards

At what age did you start watching anime?

Elk

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I first watched the Sailor Moon dub (Blech! I can't believe I liked a dub!) when I was in grade 7. So I would have been 12. And that would have been... 7 years ago. And I always got made fun of for it too, especially by my family. I'd watch my anime religiously and get extremely frustrated if I had to deal with my stupid father going on about how I have to watch my 'cartoons' every day :mad:
Thankfully I moved out 2 years ago and now those are nothing more than horrible memories. Now I can watch anime in peace. ^_^

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]weeeellllllll...lets see... i think i was around 10 when i started watching anime. it was mainly DBZ, DB, pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, (no offense) the kiddy stuff basically. well around 11 yrs old, i found adult swim. so mainly Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Family Guy, Futurama, Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed, Gundam 0080, etc... and i've basically been watching all of those for a while. I'm trying to find new stations with different types of anime but so far...:bawl:*tear*:crying: no luck... if u guys can help me plz do!!! lol. :babble: wow i keep going, and going, and going!!!lol i feel like the energizer bunny :D
:stupid: [/COLOR] [COLOR=Lime]BBBBYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!![/COLOR] :D

Mmm... now, you got me thinking! I can't really remember that... Oh! Now, I remember. ^^ I was around the innocent age of 5 or 6... or 7. Well, 7 isn't really an innocent age, but ANYWAY! Once again, my first anime was Sailor Moon. The magical, romantic, niave, childish anime. But, it's still my fave! :)

• 4 weeks later...
I started watching anime when I was 4 years old. The first anime I saw has to be Sailor Moon the first season when it first came on t.v. Then I saw Robotech and Voltron. Then when I was 5 years old I saw Galaxy Express 999, Fatal Fury, and Beautiful Dreamers when they came on the Sc-fi chanel for the first time on saturday anime. I have seen alot of anime throughtout the years and if I tell you all the anime I ever saw throughtout the years I would be boreding you. Well if you really want to know just send me a message and I'lll get back to asap. :)

I started watching anime when I was 8, I was watching Sailor Moon, I also saw anime on Sci-Fi channel when I was 10 and saw stuff like Akira and Tenchi in love. I then started watching the stupid stuff (DBZ, pokemon, etc) when the Sci-Fi channel stopped showing anime at around 13 and later watching some real stuff in Cartoon Network like Outlaw Star and Tenchi Muyo and later on at age 16 I began to watch Adult Swim anime and anime DVDs. I also rented some anime movies from Blockbuster. Right now I have Digital Cable, I watch anime on the Action Channel, International Channel, and G4TechTV. I really want the Anime Network.

hmm..probadly since i was a baby...i had lived in asien.....! :D

[color=hotpink][size=1]Welcome to the OtakuBoards! Please read our rules on post quality and try to be more coherent in your posts from now on. It is very hard to tell exactly what you are trying to say. Next time try to use correct spelling and punctuation. Further posts like this will be considered spam and will be deleted. Hope this helps! *QA*[/color][/size]

hmm...i started when i was about 5 or so (ah...it all started with sailor moon XD)

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]When someone else is given a Moderating note, make sure it might not apply to you, too. As Asuka said only one post ago to someone else, please add more detail to your posts. Replies this short are against the rules at OB and are considered spam. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

Guest Immortal_Rek
i probably saw my first anime when i was.........10 or so. It was ninja scrol (least thats the one i remember the most) ;) (parents never realised my room had a direct veiw of the tv :P) A few years later i saw Fist of the North Star and some others which i don't really remember. I really got into anime though, probably when i was 14 but couldn't really see that much due to living in the rural areas. I really started my personal collection though last year, when i started going to the city everyday and found some stores that sold it (most stores in that city didn't know what anime was....) :P

[quote name='5th Hokage']I was about 8 I started on dbz and it just grew from there[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]Please add more detail to your posts, 5th Hokage. This is spam. I understand that you're newly arrived and I don't want you to feel I'm taking it out solely on you, but this is getting to be a serious problem. The thread in question doesn't give a lot to answer, but putting in as much detail as possible would be nice, not to mention within OtakuBoards' Rules.

I would like to ask everyone to please always take note of Moderators' messages, because [i]they may well apply to you[/i]. I don't think I, Dagger, Piro or Asuka want to have to edit every other reply in a thread because other people just aren't paying attention.

If this or any other thread continues to gather numerous amounts of sub-par replies, they will be closed.[/COLOR]

I'm sure that I've answered this question before in a really old thread, but I can't seem to find it and I might as well share my experience with those of you who are newer to the forum.

I first started watching anime.. I suppose it was around the beginning of 6th grade, so I was 10 or 11. My friends had gotten me into these cards that, at the time, didn't cost much, and were fun to collect. We didn't really know how to play an actual game with them, or at least I didn't, and I slowly learned what anime was through these cards. No, they weren't Pokemon cards; they were AniMeyhiem Dragonball Z cards, and right now I have way more than I know what to do with. O_o This was back when Cartoon Network first started showing Dragonball Z on Toonami, and interest in these cards of course led me to feel the need to watch the show as well.

For the next 3 or 4 years, I was absolutely obsessed with DBZ, but still had a casual interest and respect for other anime. My obsession with DBZ led to drawing the characters constantly, and while searching on the internet for a picture to draw I found these boards. In 9th grade, I began attending my school's anime club, which introduced me to numerous animes, and I ended up losing nearly all of my interest in DBZ. From there, the rest is history, I guess.

• 1 month later...
Well lets see I watched Ronin Warriors when I was about 8 or so but ,I didn't know what anime was then.And then when I was 17 I started to watch DBZ and I loved it so from there on out I have been in love with anime.Now I have lots of anime dvd's toys and much more,anime is all I really watch now.And in the same year as watching DBZ I also started to watch Inuyasha.I think I will still watch anime when I'm nice and old, I feel in love with it and now there is no turning back.

[COLOR=Navy]For me, I was 12 years old. I can't remember whether it was Pokemon or DBZ. Though I really do think that it was Pokemon. There wasn't much of choice back in 1998 in England. When I moved back to the states, I started to watch Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, and more DBZ...oh goody. -_- I then watched countless others. There are a lot of good ones out there.[/COLOR]

[color=darkslateblue][size=1]When [b]Thundercats[/b] was around, that's when I first began to watch anime. I was always hooked on that show, and if I missed an episode, well bye bye Barbie doll. >.>

It takes me back to the good old days, when they aired Tenchi Muyo on CN. I loved that show, loved Ryoko, but now I hardly remember anything of it anymore. To tell you the truth, I don't know how I got into anime in the first place, since it was so long ago. I just remember the oldies, Sailor Moon and stuff...

My question: Would Hello Kitty tapes be considered anime? I'm not really sure of it, and if it is, well then I have been watching anime since three.[/color][/size]

I started watching anime about 5 years ago, when i was about 9 and it was all the anime i consider bad such as pokemon and the turtle one. But after i saw the anime like zoids i found out that there was much better anime that i hadn't found yet, so began my quest for better anime. My favourite anime now is Inuyasha which to my dismay have not watched it all yet, i am only up to episode 40 and cant watch anymore currently. Followed by Noir, Full metal panic and Full metal panic fumoffu.

I only started watching anime very recently: about February this year. I've been making up for lost time by having days at my and my mates' places where we watch an entire series in one sitting. I've now seen [I]Trigun [/I] and [I]Cowboy Bebop [/I] from start to finish, I've collected all of [I]Martian Successor Nadesico[/I] on DVD, and I've seen about the first 12 or 13 episodes of [I]Excel Saga[/I]. I'd recommend anime marathons to anyone.

A message to any new anime fans like me: [I]Martian Successor Nadesico[/I] is a great series to start with. It's accessible and fun, but just as rewarding as any other series. [I]Don't[/I] start with Excel Saga. In fact, don't watch it at all unless you've read the manga, as it makes, if possible, evenless sense then. I thought my friends and I were insane, but that series nearly melted my brain.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Senshi_Onigiri
I started with anime at the age of 9 with Sailor Moon and i guess anime wasn't that big at that time yet b/c i would have to wake up like at 6:30 am to watch sailor moon and i became an otaku of sailor moon until i discovered more anime like DBZ, RayEarth,Lain,Candiate for Goddess and uhhh I can't remember the other anime I used to watch in the beginning that was like about 8 years ago..oi, i have poor memory! (^.^) but now i got the anime network so I have a wider range of anime...

i started watchin anime at the age of 9 when gundam wing first came out on Cartoon Network in 2000.
i wasn't an otaku until this past spring when i started downloadin fansubs off the net via bit torrent

now i have around 60 GBs of anime on my hard drive

YAY!!!! :p

[COLOR=Blue]I think I was 5 or 6 when I started. (I'm 12 now.) My first anime was Sailor Moon. I then started to like Pokemon, (which I hate now.) Digimon, and Kiki's Delvery Service. Fastforward to 4 or 5 years later. I was 11 years old (I think.) when I saw InuYasha one night. I was hooked on it from then on. The reason that it was important for me was because InuYasha eventually lead me to other anime such as Yu Yu Hakusho, Ruroni Kenshin, and Trigun. Another important event happened this August. I had just got the Excel Saga boxset. This was also important because it's the first anime I've seen that's not on tv.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal]And that's my anime biograhpy![/COLOR]

[quote name='Kairi37']Um...probably 6. I don't really know though. It was when DBZ wasn't all reruns...[/quote][color=#503f86]Welcome to OtakuBoards, Kairi37. Please be aware that posts this short are against OB Rules (which I'd suggest taking a look at as soon as possible) and are deleted as spam, as is the posting of attachments unrelated to the thread at hand. OB is not an image hosting site, so please don't use it as one.[/color]

I've actually been watching anime since before I even knew it was anime. I was probably 5 or 6 when I started watching Speed Racer on TV. A few years after that came a brief one year Pokemon phase. It wasn't until DBZ started airing on Cartoon Network that I really began to understand what anime was. However, I didn't really expand outside of DBZ for a while. After I got out of DBZ, which was quite a while before the series finished on CN, I stopped liking anime for a few years. However, after Cowboy Bebop aired in the early days of the adult swim, I became a full-fledged anime devotee. I haven't turned my back since.