OtakuBoards

At what age did you start watching anime?

Elk

Originally I'd say I started watching Anime around 5, but a couple years ago I found out my first anime was at 2. I saw Akira for what I thought was the first time,but I kept feeling a lot of dejavu from it, later found out my mom was watching it when it first came out and I was on her lap.

My memories of when I saw these animes are in a haze between 5 and 10.

I don't know who got this channel but there was a channel called USA, it was my first source of anime at age 5 with it's morning cartoons: Voltron, Sailor Moon, and I think transformers. UPN at the time was also showing Dragon Ball,Samurai Pizza Cat, and Ronin Warriors. A year or two later I saw Robotech on what I think was Cartoon Network in it's early years from the beginning to the end of the second generation and Tekkaman Blade on I think NBC during their saturday morning cartoons. I remember seeing a lot of G-force back then,but I don't remember the channel, I think it was Cartoon Network. We also rented a lot of movies so I saw Animes like Fist of the North Star and Ninja Scroll. Also saw whatever Anime Sci Fi showed like Galaxy Express 999 and Tenchi Muyo.

Now I see whatever Animes I can lay my eyes on.

I think I'm lucky to have seen all these good Animes at a young age. I think the animes I saw when I was young played a part in shaping what I have become.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say about 9 or 11 I used to watch Samarai Pizza Cats, Sailor Moon, DBZ, Tenchi Muyo;Tenchi in Tokyo;Tenchi Universe ( I still miss Tenchi I want it to come back make new episodes a new series if you tooo!).

Yeah I loved those shows I was obsessed with Tenchi Muyo first thing I did when I got home was watch Tenchi I also miss my Toonami not that Meguzi thing or whatever but the old school toonami with the DBZ, Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo, Transformers original and the one where they turned into animals, Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star, and other animes which they got earlier.

I am 15 now I watch Inuyasha, Cowboy Beebop, Outlaw Star still a big fan, Case Closed BKA Detective Conan, Yu Yu Hakusho, Lupin the 3rd, Fooly Cooly, Wolfs Rain, Trigun, and others.

[quote name='Inuyasha7271']I also miss my Toonami not that Meguzi thing or whatever but the old school toonami[/quote]

You can still watch Toonami on Saturday nights from 7.0-11.0 PM. This Saturday they'll be airing the final 4 episodes of Samurai Jack alongside Clone Wars, though this is an event thing, and normally the schedule consists of Duel Masters, Rave Master, Teen Titans, Justice League Unlimited, MEGAS XLR, Yuyu Hakusho, Dragonball GT, and Gundam SEED. Eventually they'll be bringing back Rouroni Kenshin and add the new show Flame of Recca. Right afterwards there's an Adult Swim Saturday block including The Venture Brothers, Futurama, Inu-Yasha, Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun. In October they'll show a few movies and then in November Inu-Yasha premieres and Wolf's Rain will be replaced by the new show Full Metal Alchemist and the Ghost in the Shell series.

I first started watching anime when I was about six or seven. The first two I watched were Sailor Moon, and Dragon Ball Z. Fast Forward about eleven or twelve years, and you'll see that I've own about six or seven complete series, well over seventy-five disks, and a couple things all you kiddies don't need to know about.

To this day, I'd still watch Sailor Moon over Dragon Ball Z, and yeah I am a guy.

I began watching anime at 6. My babysitter was hardcore and would bring his anime over to watch. This was in '91, so it was 80's anime. It was my first glimpse of what would eventually envelop a over a decade of my life. I've retired my obsession and am somewhat jaded by the new generation of fans. Its nice to know that I was introduced by a first generation otaku who helped the classics become classic. I feel that the most artistic anime are overlooked by the mass media.

I started watching it about 9 years age when I was 6. I think it was Speed Racer and Robotech. My brother is the one who got me watching. THEN it was DBZ. Lesse, A little while back I was flipping through some channels and found adultswim so I watched that. THEN I branched out to more stuff. I'm really glad that I watched more stuff. I'd hate to be stuck watching DBZ all the time, I like it but not that much. :D So, at the age of 16, my brother created an anime monster, ME! (not in the insest-y way)

• 2 months later...
Hi all. Hmm...*thinks* well I'd say that I was about 10 or so when I first started watching Sailor Moon, even though I had no idea then that it was an anime, I just watched it because it was cool at the time. Actually, I started watching Sailor Moon because of my older cousin, he was kinda obsessed with Sailor Moon, and boy could he draw! But as I got older I kinda forgot about it. It wasn't till Summer of 2003, after I graduated from high school, that I turned on Adult Swim at 1:30AM on a Thursday night because I couldn't sleep, and there I saw Lupin the 3rd...well, actually it was Goemon. Yep, it was The Last Mastery that was on that night and I'll never forget the first time I saw it. From then on I was hooked. So, now, 99.9% of my life is hopelessly devoted to Lupin the 3rd, and the rest of it is devoted to school! I've been through so much in my past life that, had it not been for Lupin the 3rd, I'm not sure where I'd be now. So, yeah, I'm hooked on Lupin the 3rd and I'm a Goemon fangirl...and damn proud of it too!

Lucy.

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]I think I started watching it when I was around 8, I started with SailorMoon on toonami :D The good old days, after wards I started seeing tenchi muyo, DBZ and stuff the gave there. When my brother moved with us i started seeing the stuff he brought Tekken, Fatal Fury. And when i moved to the state I started renting anime and buying more manga since all the maga I brought was Sailormoon :rolleyes: , Even though my brother hates anime one of my best friends seems to like it alot so Im good there.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

When I started watching anime, I hadn't yet known what it was. I started with Beast Wars, one of the coolest shows ever. I loved that show to death. I later became interested in DBZ, but I wasnt much of a fan. I then discovered Pokemon, and I was and still am one of those crazy buy-all fans. Then, in 2002, my cousin started to get into anime with Cowboy Bebop. Me and him became hooked, and constanly watched Cowboy Bebop, Yu Yu Halsusho, and some of the othe Adult Swim shows. The release of Inuyasha got us really into it. My cousin began to buy the VHS movies. We watched Blood, Vampire Hunter D, X, and Ninja Scroll, and then we got so hooked, that my cousin bought a DVD player just for anime. We started buying Anime Inside, Animerica, and looking online. Now Im always up-to-date with anime. I own 36 DVDs and my cousin owns around 50. I stopped collecting a while ago because i knew that the fall would be the best months in Gaming history/

I have to say I was 5 or 6 years old when I started watching anime, It was mostly the little kid crap like DBZ, Sailor Moon and little kiddy crap. I also watched Transformers, Astro boy and Beast Wars. Those were the days that I thought that all anime was good.

As a kid I watched things like Astro Boy without having any idea they had a classification - really what kid knows the difference between anime, live action, puppets etc.

The first anime I watched that I knew of as anime that really introduced me to it was Ghost in the Shell in around 1995-6 can't remember exact date but it hadn't been out long. A friend had it sent over from Japan and we watched it in Japanese with subtitles. I was hooked. A few months later I watched the dubbed version and decided I loved it both ways.

Having also just hooked up the Internet at home around the same time I of course searched for info on it and realised there was a whole world of anime out there.

I've seen good I've seen bad, my fav's are Ghost in the Shell which started my love and Cowboy Bebop which really introduced a new group to anime, many of my friends who wouldn't consider watching "cartoons" (their words) have fallen in love with the style. I'm also a big Evangelion fan because it has kept me interested for years trying to understand it all.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]I watched Card Captors and Sailor Moon and all of the other 'old' Toonami stuff YEARS ago... I was like, 4 maybe... Yeah, 'cause my little brother grew up watching it. He never knew the difference between one thing and the next until he was older, but I was a hard-core anime fan since I could tell the difference (Maybe 6 or 7?) Yeah... It was kinda odd though, 'cause once toonami went all action-y, I still liked it... Dragon Ball and DBZ I still enjoy/collect/obsess over. Since I can no longer find a telivision station that runs Card Captors anymore, I just read the manga... Yeah, the good ol' days of racing through the bookstore to find the manga section and buying out everything we found interesting... Hmm... Well, the times have changed and now I have to scrape quarters out of my piggy bank and scrounge through my wallet for the rest of my allowance to be able to buy the next Kindaichi or Tokyo Mew Mew of Ruro. Ken or some other random thing...[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

wow thats a good question when did i start watching anime... i would have to say at around 4 or 5 years old when they brought sailor moon to america that was the kickstart to my anime obssesed life... come to think of it i might have even watched anime before that i just didnt know ... well w/e il just pretend that i got into anime at age 4 or 5 :D

i think i started watching anime about 3 years ago when i was in my freshman year of college.dbz was my first love until i began just buying random anime dvds. now i cant get enough of gundam and d.n. angel. i dont really watch dbz anymore but i still play the games.i also have a sub. to newtype usa which i think is one of the best anime magazines around.

Most of the posts in this thread have been more than adequate. However, some of the past few are a bit questionable. I'd like everyone to keep in mind that although extremely short replies are not against the rules, one or two sentence posts run a higher risk of being marked as spam, particularly if they're hard to understand (with poor grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc). This is what mods usually mean when they mention "post quality." Naturally it's desirable to remain on-topic and write something of substance, but coherently expressing your thoughts is equally important.

Thanks for keeping this in mind. ^_^

~Dagger~

I think I recall watching my first anime show when I was about six years old. My first anime was Ranma.... I was so obsessed with it. Now It's been years and years... and I'm still obsessed with anime. I love having no life... Well... besides stalking others sometimes... :shifty:

Guest BlueOreo
[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]I was in 8th grade when I really began getting into anime, I believe. Of course, it all started with DBZ, Pokemon, and Sailor Moon.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

i probably didn't really start watching anime till i was like around the age of... 12 or 13... or i think that's what my age was. i was never really introduced to it till i met some friends who were into anime. that's basically how i got started. though i haven't really watched that much anime even now. don't really have time and mostly i just draw pictures from different anime that my friends requested.

My first anime that I ever saw... it might've been Robotech. I have extremely vague memorys of the show. The first anime I can say confidently I saw was G-Force on cartoon network. The next was Speed Racer. I wasn't really addicted until my naive mind struck every little kid's dream: DBZ. That was back when it was a saturday morning cartoon for WB. I think I was about 6.

A few of my friends thought Sailor Moon was the best thing since sliced bread, but being a 6 year old, the constant action kept me glued to DBZ. Then, I eventually was Toonami, watched whatever animes were on there, and soon I started going to anime sites online. Until just recently, I had been confined to mainstream anime of cartoon network and tech-tv. Now... now there's comcast's Anime Network, which broadened by horizons tenfold.