OtakuBoards

At what age did you start watching anime?

Elk

the first ever anime show i saw was the episode of DBZ where goku is in HFIL playing games with the ogres trying to get out and back on snake road. when i saw it though, i didnt have any idea what it was or what channel it was on. ...i just found it really stupid (looking back, i can see why now, lol) later on in motels, i found the cartoon channels and watched that, think i found sailor moon there, and was slightly amused. my first real introduction to the genre was when i downloaded an AMV. wierd al - thats your horroscope for today. after watching it, i hunted for the anime that was in it. found it, it was Love Hina, and i was hooked, to say the least, obsessed, to say the truth, and still am. this was maby 6 years ago. so...in the age range of 10-12 would have to be when i started. from this, i downloaded the love hina series, chobits, .hack//sign, .hack//dusk, a hellovalotta inuyasha(think this was my second one...), evangelion, escaflowne. wait, memory kicked in: escaflowne was the first thing i watched on Fox Kids. it was edited for bloodyness tho. does anyone know when escaflowne first aired on Fox? THAT would be when i first started.

*starts singing the .hack//sign intro, obsession*

[color=navy][size=1]Next time try using paragraph breaks a little more liberally--it'll make your posts much easier to read. Thanks!

~Dagger~[/size][/color]

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started when watching anime when I was twelve, which is to say my brother started watching and I was choiceless. I started with Pokémon, but it was Dragonball Z that really got me hooked. ;)

The problem is over here in Holland we still have only a handfull of series and their all kiddy. :( The only show I watch regurally is Shin-Chan :D The only other series you can see here are: Pokémon and Yugioh. The rest I have to buy on DVD, but I don't have enough money :(

Some months ago they were showing cyborg 009, but the stop broadcasting before the serie finished :mad:

I want more anime on my tv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started watching anime around 12 to 15, not really sure as to the actual year. I saw DBZ on cartoon network, learned from a friend that it was anime. After that I started looking up anime and other things from the Japanese culture. I became quite hooked on anime of almost any type. My interest in anime hasn't died in the last 10 or so years, I love watching new and old series.

Back around '93, when I watched Sailor Moon for the first time. I was about 6, I thought it was going to suck at first, but, I watched more, I'm starting to like it. I felt ashamed at first, but, because I was a watching a girl's show, but, as I got older, I didn't seem to care. After I watched SM, I started to watch Dragon Ball Z, when it came onto local channels on saturday mornings. Eventually, I started to watch more and more anime, and I eventually, it's just became a hobby of mine. Most likely a hobby of mine that'll never die.

Guest icedranzer
[quote name='Elk']I started watching anime when i was about 10 or something and it was only DBZ and pokemon and (no offence to anyone) stupid stuff like that. My brother started watching anime when he was 4 and not the crappy stuff I watched! I think the first anime he saw was Inuyasha, then Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, FLCL, Blue Gender, and every thing that's every been on Adult Swim and Toonami, he's also lerning how to read through Manga. (He's 5 yars old.)[/quote]when pokemon 1st came to the UK i started to watch it, then digimon ;) but i think its a shame we don't get any other intresting anime which japan has :( i do watch a lot of anime on 2nami and i once tried to read a bit of magna my self. I still watch DBZ and beyblade and the anime on Jetix(i feel stupid, im nearly 15 :D )

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Fixed quote tags.

Welcome to OtakuBoards, icedranzer. Please try and refrain from using abbreviations in future- they're against OB's rules and aren't particularly great to have to read anyway, heh. Take care to use proper spelling and punctuation wherever you can- it's greatly appreciated. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

Guest mistyrays
I started watching anime when I was about... 4 years old? I watched Doraemon and Dragon Ball then. :laugh: Then I tumbled on the used-to-be-popular 'cartoon' Pokemon. :ball: I didn't know the difference between anime and cartoon, though. So I thought they're just ordinary every-Sunday-morning cartoons. Then my brother showed me some more anime like Neon Genesis Evangelion CDs that he bought. He also told me to read the manga Detective Conan [Mentantei Conan/Case Closed] when I was about 6 or 7. It was then that I realised that anime or manga are usually more detailed than cartoons or comic books that people made from America [like Mickey Mouse or Superman... ;) .] My interest in anime and manga began to grow as I continued to watch more anime like Rurouni Kenshin or Flame of Recca. Till now, at least half of my life have always revolved around anime and my interest is still growing!! I don't think I'll ever dislike them. :D

I started watching anime when I was...hmmm..I think I was 8 or 9. I remember I was in 3rd grade, so close enough! ^-^ I watched Escaflowne, Sailor Moon, and I remember sometimes watching Aeon Flux with my brother. Those were very fun times! Me and my friends would act out episodes and fight scenes. ^-^

Anime was very different from the cartoons I used to watch, the characters seemed real and I liked that. What those shows also had were cool fighting scenes.

I grew up spending lots of time with my brother and we'd always watch Bruce Lee and old martial art movies. It was kinda exciting to find cartoons that incorporated that kind of stuff. I have my brother to thank for turning me into an anime fan. ^-^

As time went on I started watching Toonami and Midnight Run on Cartoon Network. That was when I turned into a Gundam Wing fan and started getting into Mecha.

Today I'm still an anime and manga fan, and I don't think I'll ever stop being one! ^-^

I lucked out and have a father who, to this day, still loves cartoons and anime... so I first started watching anime when I was about 9 years old... when we moved back to the mainland and finally lived in a house with electricity and running water :D . My dad rented a few anime back then and my brothers and I really got into it after that.

lol...man i saw the other forums...you sure post a lot..anyways on with my post

....i started liking anime when i was around 10 and 11, i first watched ronin warriors with my little cousin cause i just wanted to humor him, then i became interested when i found out that they are better then most american cartoons..^_^ now i love just about every anime except..i never really liked cowboy bebop..i think it is odd..not my style at all..darkside blues is more my style though *_*:love:

• 3 weeks later...
I was pretty young at the time. The anime I watched were..let's see. The avarage stuff, everyone watched, you know G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Masters Of The Universe. But my first anime was my childhood hero, Voltron. I'm still a big fan of Voltron, and I even had the deluxe Voltron (Lion force), that no one had. When it came on, don't bother me for thirty minutes. I also liked Tranzor Z, aka Mazinger Z. Oh yeah, "Saber Rider And The Star Sheirffs". That was a cool show too. And another classic, Robotech. I still love Robotech and Macross. I even have the RPG. It's alot of fun to play. All generations, plus some stuff they made up. And Robotech II: The Sentinals was in there as well. To wrap it up, Pallidium added Macross II the RPG. It's just as cool. And I have feint memories of "Captain Harlock and the Queen Of 1,000 Years". That should be on DVD. And there was that anime mini boom back in 1995. I liked Teckno man, Ronin Warriors, and I discovered DBZ. That was win Pioneer owned the rights, and they kind of butcherd it. They spliced twelve episodes into six, and replaced the words "Die", "Died", "Killed", "Kill", "Dead", and "Death", with "Destroy" and "The next dimention". I hated that! They edited out the blood, too. But the voice acting was a little better. Thank god Funimation took it up. They fixed it. That's how I got hooked to anime.

Mike

[color=darkslateblue]Hm, I'm going to say I was about 14-15 when I first started watching anime. I started off with DBZ, naturally, then it led into Sailor Moon. I don't really watch anime any more, but I've gone from DBZ to Cowboy Bebop (which is my favorite). Man, the years fly by.

-simple as that[/color]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I probably started watching anime at like, eight or seven. I remember I used to watch Speed Racer, Robotech, Thundercats (which is still the most awesome show about cat people ever), Sailor Moon, and Dragonball. I'm not sure which of those I saw first though.

At that point I just thought they were cartoons, and I didn't really realize it was anime until my family finally got the internet (how else could I have found out?), and looked up DBZ. I got my slightly older sister into anime shortly after, and my mom (I got them both to start watching DBZ with me).

I guess that's like, almost ten years now of watching anime.[/FONT]