OtakuBoards

At what age did you start watching anime?

Elk

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']I dare you to watch one episode of Wedding Peach. If you can survive that, you are very strong. If you can find anything good about it, you are very crazy.[/quote]
I do think many anime really aren't very good, even in an objective sense, but in this case there's a good chance that the genre as a whole just isn't your cup of tea. One must accept certain things in order to enjoy series like Sailor Moon and Wedding Peach for what they are. ;)

~Dagger~

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]I do think many anime really aren't very good, even in an objective sense, but in this case there's a good chance that the genre as a whole just isn't your cup of tea. One must accept certain things in order to enjoy series like Sailor Moon and Wedding Peach for what they are. ;)

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

I dislike Sailor Moon, but I respect it because it was original and helped define shojo. Wedding Peach is just a very crappy rip-off with painful characterization (all very annoying characters without a hint of humor, dpeth, or development) and butt-ugly animation (come to think of it, the only anime I've seen that looked worse was Beyblade).

The first time this post appeard was about two or three years ago lol but i was 12ish I think and it was akira and that is one of my faverite animes :D

[color=navy][size=1]Please watch your post quality! Proper punctuation is your friend. ^_~

~Dagger~[/size][/color]

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']I dislike Sailor Moon, but I respect it because it was original and helped define shojo. Wedding Peach is just a very crappy rip-off with painful characterization (all very annoying characters without a hint of humor, dpeth, or development) and butt-ugly animation (come to think of it, the only anime I've seen that looked worse was Beyblade).[/quote]
[i]Mahou[/i] shoujo, maybe. But shoujo? Not quite. The main thing Sailor Moon did was expand & popularize the idea of a "magical girl" transforming into her alter ego for the purpose of fighting evil. Nearly all previous mahou shoujo anime had the protagonist transform in order to achieve some kind of personal dream--i.e. becoming an idol singer.

As such, I think it's unfair to characterize later series as being rip-offs, when they're ultimately just anime made in the same mold. Similarly, one could pick on RahXephon and Soukyuu no Fafner for being Evangelion clones, but at this point there are so many series which are specifically Evangelion-esque (and one or two of them even out-do Eva), that they can simply be lumped together as shows belonging to the same sub-genre or what have you.

As another example, Pretty Cure is very much like Sailor Moon, Wedding Peach and so forth, but it deserves to be considered on its own merits. And going back to Wedding Peach, I'm not saying that it's a work of philosophical brilliance, or even that it's among the better mahou shoujo anime out there. However, it accomplishes what it sets out to do, and does that in fewer episodes and with less filler than Sailor Moon. You don't have to respect it or anything, but it's possible that you're judging it by what it isn't.

Er... wow. Sorry for getting so off-topic. I suppose this is vaguely relevant in the sense that dubbed Sailor Moon was the first anime I ever saw, but that's kind of a stretch. Whoops. ^_^;;

~Dagger~

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I'd say about age 6 for me(almost 20 now). My dad and I used to watch [B]Speed Racer [/B] and [B]Robotech[/B]. Good ol' Sci-fi channel played them in the mornings before I had to go to school. Fond memories now...anime on Sci-fi...but at least its still a good channel. [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[quote name='kabapu']i first started watching anime at the age of eleven. but stuff like gundam and fist of the north satar have only just arived in england, and things like evangelion have not arrived at all. major suckiness...[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]Unfortunately you've missed the boat somewhat- all of these series have been out in the UK for quite some time- the original Fist of the North Star movie has been out on video for at least ten years and the entire Evangelion series has been shown on the Sci-Fi channel, although they never show it any more. Gundam Wing and the Endless Waltz OVA were all aired on Toonami before, but that's about it. They even showed Cowboy Bebop. The chances of anything like that happening again are very slim, though.

I first started (although I didn't know it) on the original dub of Castle in the Sky when I was incredibly young. I didn't understand it very well but I remember thinking it was quite scary. I pretty much forgot about anime as a style (well, unless you include US programmes animated by Japanese production teams and the French series Mysterious Cities of Gold) until Pokemon hit the UK like a slap in the face. From there I evolved to Digimon, Cardcaptors and managed to catch things like Nadesico, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and Evangelion when they were aired. That was about the time my anime collection started, too- I bought Princess Mononoke on DVD and was absolutely amazed, heh.

And through joining OB I've found out about many other anime series that have been worth watching- Trigun, RahXephon, Last Exile... all good stuff.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Elk']I started watching anime when i was about 10 or something and it was only DBZ and pokemon and (no offence to anyone) stupid stuff like that. My brother started watching anime when he was 4 and not the crappy stuff I watched! I think the first anime he saw was Inuyasha, then Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, FLCL, Blue Gender, and every thing that's every been on Adult Swim and Toonami, he's also lerning how to read through Manga. (He's 5 yars old.)[/quote]i'm not sure of exactly how old i was but probably around when i was ten or maybe even b4 that. i have vague memories of seeing stuff like sailor moon and tenchi muyo when i was younger and i'm thing that it was probably when i was between the ages of 5 and 10.

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Welcome to OtakuBoards, burningwater101. While your post quality is okay here, please make sure that it doesn't get any worse- copious use of abbreviations are against the rules at OB, and we do encourage members to use proper punctuation, spelling and grammar where possible. For further information, please take a look at the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?]Rules[/URL] page. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

Guest Raven and Sango
I am ten! I am very adult like(just kidding) :animesmil :animeswea and I wathced DMG. Now I watch Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, /hack legend and Teen Tiyans. I know kid like but my little sister watches it what can I say. :D :catgirl:

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Palatino Linotype]This takes me on a major flashback... I was about seven years old when I witnessed [B]Tenchi Muyo![/B] for the first time on [B]Cartoon Network[/B]. It became my favorite show and I loved [B]Ryo-oh-ki[/B]. Just because everyone called it a "cabbit" and it turned into a spaceship. I wanted to grow up and be like [B]Sasami[/B], because she cooks and takes care of everyone around her. Everyone is totally dependent on her.

My little brother came up with the idea to listen to [B]Tenchi[/B] on speed when I got my first DVD. He figured that since [B]Ayeka's[/B] voice is so high pitched, she sounded like a squirrel on speed. It was pretty funny.

I later got into [B]Dragon Ball Z[/B] but lost track of that a short time after.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
Guest Neko-chan22
I started watching anime at age 5 and the first anime I watched was Digimon
now I like InuYasha and Furuba (fruits Basket) :animesmil

[quote name='Elk']I started watching anime when i was about 10 or something and it was only DBZ and pokemon and (no offence to anyone) stupid stuff like that. My brother started watching anime when he was 4 and not the crappy stuff I watched! I think the first anime he saw was Inuyasha, then Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, FLCL, Blue Gender, and every thing that's every been on Adult Swim and Toonami, he's also lerning how to read through Manga. (He's 5 yars old.)[/quote]

I started seriously watching anime when i was like 11 or 12, i used to watch poke'mon and yu-gi-oh, but i have found alot better anime!

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Sienna]I started watching when I was around 4, but I didn't know it was anime. It was this video I always rented called "Unico the Unicorn" and I loved it. I wish I could watch it today but its not being rented out or sold in video stores I go to anymore.. There was also Samura Pizza Cats (still love that show!) and Transformers. Then came Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball when I was around 7. Then around 9-11, Pokemon, Digimon, DBZ, Gundam Wing, and Escaflowne. At one point I borrowed Slayers: The Movie from the video store and thats what actually got me into anime. I started looking for much high quality anime and the like. Jeez, glad I did that. Now I've watched so much more better quality stuff.

Yea, the audience today is a lot more lucky than we were... They have a much wider selection with better quality. Except us Canadians; we don't get Cartoon Network so we're still left with not much. ¬¬[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

The first series I actually remember seeing was Gatchaman when I was 9 years old. Though at that time it was not the same show as it was majorly edited. After that I vaguely remember seeing other stuff, but I don't remember the names of the series. It wasn't until much later in my early twenties that I got back into anime and became a huge fan. So many things they showed on TV were edited *like Sailor Moon & Yu-Gi-Oh* and I didn't like how they had been edited. One of my friends, who I teased alot for liking the shows, insisted I watch some of the shows in Japanese with the subtitles on and thanks to her I now love anime.

I started watching anime when i was 4....it started with Sailor Moon then DBZ. After that I guess more and moreanime keep coming and get eager to watch it.Now all i watch is dvd with subtitles and the very little japanese i know comes from anime

have to say I'm a very sucky translator -.-

im not exactly sure when i started watching anime. for as long as i can remember anime has been a part of my life. throughout all of elementary school i saw quite the variety of anime. back then i didnt really take it seriously cuz it was just something i was used to. it was around 6th grade where i really took an interest in anime. Ranma 1/2 was the first series i got into and im glad i started with that. it had action, comedy, nudity, + more! up to now i still watch anime and i think i will forever.

It was around 5th grade, so... about 6 years ago, maybe seven. So I was ten or eleven. I'm one of those that got into anime via Toonami's golden age. (DBZ, Sailor Moon, Tenchi, Outlaw Star... those were the good ol' days)

But I really didn't start watching anime outside of what AU and Toonami showed until about 2 years ago. Around 15 years old. Neon Genesis Evangelion was my first anime buy. I picked it up completely random too! I'd heard about an anime called Rah Xephon and went to Blockbuster to pick it up. I didn't find RX, but I saw NGE, which I had heard mentioned a few times. Good thing I rented it. After watching the first two DVDs, I bought the whole series. It never left my top 3 once it got there.

Guest Lady Eowen
I didn't start watching until I was about 16. so only about...just over a year now i have likes it. I used to hate it before, then late one night i decided to watch an episode just to see what it was about and liked it. It was Inuyasha. now i love anime. :animesmil

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=DarkGreen]lets see now...I guess I started to watch anime when i was really young, but back then I wasnt really into it and I cant even remember it that well...then when I was 12 or whenever pokemon came out I started to watch stuff like DBZ, Digimon, Pokemon, and other of the more 'kiddie' stuff.

But A couple years ago, a friend(you know who you are, again) introduced me to cowboy bebop and since then I have really liked anime. That really opened the door for other of the more adult and more japanese and lesser known here stuff. anime has become one of my favorite types of shows/movies/whatever. i think its really awesome how it can appeal to almost all audiences.[/COLOR][/FONT]

i've started watching anime ever since i was born, seriously. i know alot of people say that just because they really like anime and are hardcore anime fans. i have started watching it ever since i could watch tv.

i was born and raised in Hong Kong, so i watched a huge variety, but ever since i moved can't remember them and they haven't showed up here in North America yet.

interesting, I have lots of questions, at what age did you move here? which animes are you longing to watch but havn't been conformed and played in America? which shows that actually do play here do you think are best?

• 4 weeks later...
[COLOR=#004a6f]I've been watching anime since as long as I can remember. I was born in Saudi Arabia, and I grew up watching Captain Majid (actually Captain Tsubasa), Zeina wa nahool (Maya the bee), Lady Lady, Sinan (don't know the japanese name), Sally (anime version of [I]a little princess[/I]), and Pizza Cats, Hello Kitty, Karaoke, and some other mecca based animes I forgot the name of. All very old shows from the early 80's.

Of course I had no idea what anime was at the time, just recognised the style. It was all just cartoons to me. I used to think that captain tsubasa was chinese when I watched it, because I would always see asian looking letters, but couldn't tell specifically what language it was.

In Canada, I also watched Maya the bee, Pizza Cats, Hello Kitty and Karaoke. I got introduced to Sailor Moon and Dragonball when I was around 8, and then Pokemon, Digimon, Dragonball Z, Monster Ranchers, when I was 12. I was a huge Dragonball Z fan, and to this day I still like it (well, a little).

A friend introduced me to Inuyasha and Chobits when I was 17.

Anime, we've had some good times. ^_^[/COLOR]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Indigo] Let's see....I started watching anime ever since i was about nine. The first anime I ever watched was Sailor Moon. I like it because it had girls fighting and dressing up in cute little outfits. I really didn't know what anime was at that time until i was in 6th grade. I started hanging out with people who knew what anime was. Then I started to get obessed with anime. Now all I do is watch it and draw it. :animesmile:

BlackTigerGurl :catgirl: [/Font][/Color]

Guest ominae yu
It all started at the ripe age of 8 with a gem I call Castle of Caliostro (miyazaki) then I went on to DBZ and pokemon (forgive me for I was young and nieve.) Then when Neon Genesis was readily available all my friends started watching it which is what has today made me an anime nut.