OtakuBoards

Harry Potter Movie 3!

Nehszriah

This movie was the best out of the three so far. I loved the affects on that bird thing (What in the world was it?)...anyways :rolleyes: It had great sounds, and still has the greatest setting. The action quality was impressive, as I had expected. My favorite part was the Quidditch scene. With all those Demntors, sucking out his life, that's just very weird. Especially when the Dementors walk past everything turns to ice and has a frost covering it. It's a very neat movie and I give it two thumbs up just as I have the other two...

Watch the fat lady float! :eek:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the movie! Yes! *hops up and down* Mr. Oldman was a very, very good Sirius. He was able to do the whole "I'm a crazy psychopathic murder" bit really well. I'm trying soooooooo hard not to spoil the movie for all those who didn't see it. *randomly spazes* DEMENTORS!!!!! GGGAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :p It was real fun. See it. The Queen of Ancient Egypt commands you to see it if you haven't already. *twitch*

[color=royalblue][size=4][font=Comic Sans MS]I love it!!! :love: [/font][/size][/color]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=royalblue]But, I only have one major problem with it. Wasn?t this the book where they went into details on the connection be Harry's father and his group of friends in school. I know they did a little about the group, but they forgot the details on the nick-names they had, right:confuse2:? I have read all the books to date, but they all became one in my mind. :huh:[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=royalblue]Plus, they forgot some details on the map and its story. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=royalblue]Oh well, movies can?t cover everything. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=royalblue]Other then that I thought it was great and very impressive; I would say thumbs up to it! :luv: [/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE=Queen Asuka][color=crimson][size=1]
Oh yes! Do you all remember the part where Arthur Weasley is in the Leaky Cauldron and he's talking to Harry about how he's going to die and all that stuff about Sirius Black? Well, in the background there were those two posters of Sirius and he was making this insane face and me and my friend Morgan could NOT stop laughing.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=plum]Ah! That's what happened to my friend and I. They moved forward and there was another poster of him! It was so funny. I couldn't stop laughing! The movie was funny, but I must say I was a little disappointed.

I think it was because how different it was to the book. I was looking forward to some things that happened in the book to be in the movie but some weren't. When Harry got his broom at the end of the movie, it made me think that Alfonso just remembered that Harry was supposed to get the Firebolt and just decided to put it there.

I wish they would have said all the insults that were on the map. I promised myself that I would not complain so Im not going to. I just wished that they would have also added Harry's Quidditch match with his new firebolt. There were just a lot of things that were different. They added a lot too. But all in all it was a pretty good movie, I guess I can only brag about the humor.

My friend Denise and I went to the movie and we were constantly saying..." Hey that doesn't happen" and... "What about the.." and "Hey! They forgot the firebolt!"
Denise started laughing when Remus turned on the music when they were practicing with boggarts.[/color]

Okay, it seems many people don't like the movies because they are not like the books enough. Well, news flash, they cannot directly adapt the novels? Why? Because it would simply be impossible for one major reason: a page in a regular book is about a minute on screen. Do you want to watch a 300/400/500 minute movie? No. My advice on the whole thing? Don't go looking to see Harry Potter as a movie. Go to see a movie. Not an adaptation, not a real-life book, just as a movie, as if it was a completely original piece. If you can do that, go see it without comparing it to the books, you'll enjoy them. I do. My friend didn't when he went to see the first one and hated it because of this. He wanted to see it directly transfered on screen, and was disappointed when it wasn't.
In any case, it was excellent. I was also disappointed by the Firebolt bit, however. And another thing bugs me too, a major continuity error, in fact.
[spoiler]What happened to the stag? There was a stag when we saw through real-time Harry's POV, but not when we saw time-travel Harry do it![/spoiler]
However, I thought they did an excellent job casting [spoiler]Peter Pettigrew/Wormtail[/spoiler] It was just so excellent seeing that guy! Also, I loved the bird-smashing the Willow did. That was greusomely hilarious. :devil:
Anyway, that's my two cents.
-ULX

[QUOTE]One thing that bugs me about the movies is that the actors aren't what I pictured them to be in the books. As mentioned before, there's that age thing where the kids are supposed to be 13 but the actors are 16 or older. It kind of throws off the movies because it's weird seeing a 16 yr old act younger than they are...Well, I'm still gonna go see it and maybe it won't be too bad.[/QUOTE][font=Arial][size=2]while the physical looks of the actors might not match the intended ages, if you get good enough actors, age wouldn't be that much of a problem, since they'd be able to act their parts well enough to the point where you actually start seeing them as 13 and 14-year olds rather than themselves.[/size][/font]

[QUOTE][size=1][color=darkred]

[b]People already have a fixed idea of what the books are supposed to be, therefore they have a set idea on what the movies are supposed to be...and everyone has a different opinion of what the correct "Potter-verse" is. There are so many factors that go into making the Harry Potter books so believable...Do you know what a major part of them makes the books so believable? Your own imagination. And if it is all put in front of you to observe and not take part in, of course you'll feel like there's something missing.[/b]

[b]Now there's one last thing I'm wondering about...Why are people who like the books not seeing the movie because they're afraid they'll be disappointed? So what? So you don't like the movie...what's the big deal? There's still the excellent book that you can enjoy... I remember being a little disappointed by the second movie, but I didn't think any less of the book after seeing it. [/b][/color][/size][/QUOTE][font=Arial][size=2]well, here are my reasons, anyway. I'm not going to spend my money to see something I know I'll be disappointed with, especially when there are plenty of other movies to see besides this one. and I would be disappointed with it for the exact reason you already wrote: I already have a set idea of what things should be what in the story, from certain mannerisms of characters to the feel of how the settings look. and I'm very happy with my take on it all, lol. yeah, the book and the movie are obviously going to be different from each other, can't be helped. but after seeing the first and second movies (which I don't particularly care for, like I've mentioned earlier), it took me ages to get my original images of the books back, because I'd forgotten what the movies were like after a while. kind of hard to remember your own view of something that did depend so much on just your imagination after seeing something more tangible in its place.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2]I'm sure if I hadn't read the books beforehand, I couldn't care less about how true to the books the movies are; I love the Lord of the Ring movies, and I haven't read any of the books, except for the first 80 or so pages of the first one. I guess in a way it just depends on what I get to first. :whoops:[/size][/font]

[font=Tahoma][/font][color=#009966]It was alright. Out of 10, I give it a 6.5, 7 at the most.

I liked the Dementors. At the beginning of the movie when the train stopped and the Dementor poked his head in the car, I burst out laughing and whispered "My Precious...." lol They looked just like the Nazgul on LOTR. The only thing that urked me in that scene was when it was when Harry first saw it. Anyone would be like :eek:, but Harry was just calm and like -_-. Then at the end [spoiler]when the Dementors were killing Sirius and Harry, he was [i][b]too[/i][/b] overdramatic. It annoyed me.[/spoiler]

Dumbledore annoyed me more than Harry though. He was too....I can't even think of a word to describe it. Instead of the calm, quiet, mysterious Dumbledore that was in the books and the other two movies, the new Dumbledore seemed noisy, less mysterious, and less subtle. If there's no other possible Dumbledore, I hope that the new one can learn to [i]act[/i] like the old Dumbledore!

But the worst part was the ending. Gah, I wanted to rip my hair out! Or at least the idiot's who came up with it. That was one of the worst endings I've ever seen. Instead of the [i]real[/i] ending when Harry's uncle finds out that Harry has a godfather who's escaped from Azkaban and that Sirius will check on Harry to make sure that he's being treated well, it ends with him flying on his broom. :bash:

Well, that concludes my rant.[/color]

[QUOTE=Deedlit][color=#009966]
Dumbledore annoyed me more than Harry though. He was too....I can't even think of a word to describe it. Instead of the calm, quiet, mysterious Dumbledore that was in the books and the other two movies, the new Dumbledore seemed noisy, less mysterious, and less subtle. If there's no other possible Dumbledore, I hope that the new one can learn to [i]act[/i] like the old Dumbledore![/color][/QUOTE][font=Arial][size=2]heh, in all the books, Dumbedore is actually quite jolly whenever there's nothing pressing happening. I absolutely HATED Dumbledore in the first two movies because he DID act so bland and old. he looked like he was about to croak over and die all the time. ...I just realized what I said, rest the guy's soul. anyways, in the first couple of books, Dumbledore seems very energetic, considering how old he is. only around the last couple of books did Harry notice how Dumbledore had started showing his age.[/size][/font]

The bigest problem with books to movies in general is every one pictures characters diferantly while Harry Potter didn't have everything perfect like Ron & Lupin looked freackshly old fashon. I did like Suris for now though because he did look old but people with a lot of stress tend to look older than people the same age whith none & lets face it even a year in Azkaban could do that to a person! The actors are a bit to old but they can't film them all at 1 time because between movies a years soposed to pass.

Also it didn't mach the movie perfect they tended to move sence around & cancle others & put oter things to close (to do the book justise the movies really needed to be longer) but at leat it was close to the book some movies like Planet of the Apes, Dune, or Time Machine are complatly diferent than there book counter parts.

The 3rd movie did look better than the firts 2 but its not just because of the new director but because well lets face it the 3rd book kicks the other 2's butts just like I think the 4th & 5th ones have been getting progressivly better!

my bigest wory with the books is that the filmmakers will start pushing the writer to write them faster because they may make them faster than she can write them whish could make shorter & not as intersiting books.

Guest Lil CheroStar
[SIZE=3][COLOR=RoyalBlue]u guys that have seen it..ur so lucky..i havent yet and I really want to! i can`t cuz my mom had foot surgery and cant be on it..my dads never home only for 2 days..and my grandma don`t drive and my grandpa is in ohio,my other uncles in ohio so im stuck! man i really realyl really want to see it! :flaming: [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue][B]The HP movies aren't really supposed to be so much like the book. Movies are a lot different since they have to take into consideration the climax and plot, and the opening and the ending. It just has to have an X factor when doing the movie. It has to appeal to both readers and nonreaders of the book.

The movie was better than the old ones since they added more humor. [spoiler]They also improved Harry's wand and I loved what they did to the Maurauder's Map.[/spoiler]

Now regarding the firebolt being shown in the end, i think they made it that way to create a more exciting ending. I mean, the ending in the book doesn't really have a say when you place it in the movie right? I think it is for those who haven't read the book. It will probably leave them with a more nice and probably amazing feeling with regards to the ending.

As for the stag, all movies have mistakes right? I have no doubt that this is one of those. For the nicknames though I'll say they made a very big mistake not showing it in the film. It is a really informative chapter in the 3rd book ne?

Dumbledore isn't that bad for me though. He was the first one i noticed. The elegance of the old Dumbledore was gone and the new one was quite more funky. I loved his line when [spoiler]Harry and Hermione came back after saving Sirius.[/spoiler] His manner of speaking also seemed to be faster than the old one. It seems like he got younger.

And by the way Amity, the birds are called Hippogriffs.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]You know, all those who are depressed about the Maraurders getting little part in the third movie can just write a Maraurder fanfic. That's what I did. I put it up on fanficton.net too. Besides, the director is already getting quite the input from the public on how bad he screwed up, so he might try to fix it. Sadly, he would be too late. :( [/COLOR]

I personally couldn't wait for this movie. I love Sirius and Lupin, and I love the third book. I was hoping the new director would be good...unfortunately I didn't think about the people who adapt the book to the screen...what idiots!!!!! They missed a lot of stuff that was important (at least in my opinion) and there was very little Sirius! How dare you! Anyway, they made Lupin out to be an idiot [spoiler]He said "Have some chocolate, it'll make you feel better" more than any other line in the whole movie![/spoiler] I would've preffered more backround info on the marauders and such, and more time in the shrieking shack. Really, I would've preffered more of everything. If I can sit through all three LOTR movies back to back, I can sit through a longer HP movie. Acting was so-so. Casting was a little odd. (yes, I too would've liked a sexy Siruis, but not Orlando clones-I hate that man) The credits were cool though. All in all, It's a movie I don't have to see again.

The music was good though. I guess that counts for something ;)

[color=crimson][size=1]I just thought of something that's really been bothering me since I watched the movie (and as I was watching it). How in the world in the beginning of the movie was Harry using magic when it's ILLEGAL for him to do so? I thought that was such a stupid blooper for whoever made THAT big mistake. That fact alone is a key concept to Harry Potter. GEEZ.[/size][/color]

I don't read the books... but in the movie it made quite a bit of sense. It's illegal to kill someone... but can you still do it? Of course. So I just figured that despite it being illegal to use magic in those areas, it's still entirely possible. It's within his power to do so. Why would it being illegal completely prevent him from being able to use it?

Maybe in the books he simply cannot do that even if he wants to? I don't know.

[color=firebrick] Well, I just watched the movie, and I think it's wonderful. Cuaron's new take on the books really made the third movie bring out the beginning of darkness and emotion come out on the movie...unlike some previous two others...*coughs*

Harry seems to have a new attitude in the third movie. In the first two he was always nice and very...well, 'tamed', I guess you could say. In a bad way. >_> And another thing, Harry [b]always[/b] seemed to be wearing black or something outfit with black. The black sweater, pants, jacket, etc. Another funny thing in the movie: Harry actually sees stuff in that seeing ball. And Trelwaney mentions Ron's 'strong aura'. >_> With the Weasely twins predicting that almost unpredictable outcome of the Quidditch Final in book 4 and such. Which reminds me. I thought it was cool that during quidditch [spoiler] Harry had that jersey like outfit. But does the number 7 have any significance?[/spoiler]

The scene where Harry and his roommates were joking around with those animal sounds and whatnot was surprising for me. I always thought of Harry as a bit withdrawn. And small examples here in there, how he stole Neville's lollipop and pushed people out of the way. *shrugs*

Snape seemed a bit out of character, too. He actually sounded concerned about Harry when [spoiler] he was talking to Dumbledore...and how he blocked the trio out of the way from the werewolf. >_> Oh yeah, and I have a funny feeling that Snape is a vampire. The way he closed all the windows when he walked into the DADA class. And remember when Harry and Hermione went back in time and were waiting for everyone to come out again? They saw Remus go into the tree, but never actually [i]saw[/i] Snape. All you saw were bats.[/spoiler]

J.K. Rowling herself said that Cuaron 'intuitively' left clues in the movie about book 6 and 7, so I guess I'll explore that.

I also enjoyed the Harry/Lupin scene when they were on the bridge. [spoiler] It was funny how Lupin didn't mention to Harry about how much he looked like James and how focused he was on talking about Lily. When he said "she had the ability to look into people and find their true beauty" or something like that, I immediately thought of Snape. [reference to the memory part in book 5 where Lily protected Snape] Then I thought of Lupin as well because of the whole werewolf thing. I dunno. He seemed very passionate about Lily to me for some reason. Maybe it's just admiration, which is what I'm betting on. I mean...I'm not going to be pleased if we all of a sudden find out he had an affair or whatever.[/spoiler]

Another funny thing. In the third book it says a werewolf will respond to only 'one of its kind'. [spoiler] How can we explain the part when Hermione 'awooed' to Lupin and he took off...really fast. O_o. It's a stretch, and it was probably just Cuaron taking the liberty of doing things. [/spoiler]

Ok, I had some mixed feelings about this. [spoiler] It seemed to me that the dementors were going more for Harry rather than Siruis. I know Dumbledore said: A dementor doesn't distinguish its victom to someone who gets in the way [or something], but when Sirius and Harry were by the lake there were like 50 dementors going after Harry and two going after Sirius, lol. Lupin's explanation says a lot ["horrors in his past that others cannot imagine."....or something. I'm not a recorder.] Seems odd, though. [/spoiler] And, man, talk about mirrors and reflection. I think I saw a mirror or relection shot of Harry in the dark about every five minutes. In the books, I don't think they pay much attention to reflections, but there were a lot in the movie. And Harry and Sirius' relfections in the water. I also noticed how many times Harry was shown without his glasses. Many times, actually. May be his weak point or something.

Another thing that sort of bugged me was the whole [spoiler] feeding of dead ferrets to Buckbeak. Malfoy=bouncing ferret. Dead ferrets. Buckbeak eating dead ferrets about a billion times in the movie. Hermione confronting Malfoy, etc. Just something to dwell on. I hope he doesn't [i]die[/i] later on. [/spoiler]

As for objects and such in the movie. I did notice the abnormal amount of crows/ravens. Usuallly, most of the time, they symbolize bad things. The amount of color in the movie sort of...lacked. There was no colorful wans spells or anything shown, and everything seemed a bit dull during the latter part of the movie. There was a huge amount of silver, though. And what's with those standing stones? Lol.

And there were so many things to do with time. I know the third book has a huge role with the time-changing thing, but there was the pendulum, the double-dorway, and the fountain all in the same scene. Another thing was the spirals in the movie. There seemed to be a lot of them. I don't know if they have any special meaning or anything...

Ok, I think I've ranted enough. >_>[/color]

[QUOTE=Semjaza Azazel]I don't read the books... but in the movie it made quite a bit of sense. It's illegal to kill someone... but can you still do it? Of course. So I just figured that despite it being illegal to use magic in those areas, it's still entirely possible. It's within his power to do so. Why would it being illegal completely prevent him from being able to use it?

Maybe in the books he simply cannot do that even if he wants to? I don't know.[/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]In the books, when he did magic outside of school, an owl was immediately dispatched warning him that doing magic outside of school again would be punished by expulsion from Hogwarts. It's not that he can't do it, it's that if he does do it, the Ministry of Magic knows immediately. I don't know if that makes much sense, but that's how it works. SO, for him to be sitting under his blanket using his want to light up his spellbooks (wherein the novel he has a flashlight), he would probably have been expelled.[/size][/color]

[font=Courier New][size=4]Personally, I think they destroyed the movie. I loved the books, but the movie was just sort of blah. They had to leave so much out. If you didn't read the books you wouln't know who Padfoot, Prongs,... were. It just seemed like they skipped too much in the story. Also, they skipped several scenes where Sirius was supposed to freak out Harry.[/size][/font]