OtakuBoards

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Semjaza

[color=#4B0082]You know the first thing I thought when I saw Twilight Princess being played with the Wii controller? "I'm going to rock this game." Shooting the bow with the pointer, especially, I just can't wait to do. In all the previous 3D Zeldas the bow has been one of my favorite items, and I've always been a good shot with it, and now it's going to be even better. Point, shoot, kill, repeat.

The melee combat moves controlled with the motion sensors also looks great. The special moves like the shield bash, spin attack, and down strike all looked wonderfully intuitive. No more fumbling with rotating the control stick, having to make sure you get [i]all[/i] the way around; just a quick flick of the wrist, a tap of the button, and you're kicking *** in all 360 degrees.[/color]

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can only imagine the amount of the people whom play this game and get angry and throw their Wii controlers at the tv if they can't pull off the move. As for me? I am so Wiiing it when it comes out. Screw the damn old controller. (I HAVE THE POWER!!!!) *cough* sorry about that... I'll go shoot that damn loud neighbor.

[color=#4B0082]If they do that with the Wii controller, I doubt they'd be any better at rotating the control stick on a GCN pad. I've read impressions, and while it sounded like it might take a bit to get the motion down, it also sounded easy to do once you know just what motion you're supposed to make.

Myself, I've always been good at the rotating for the spin attack anyway, so having something even simpler will be icing on the cake. I can't wait to start owning baddies in Twilight Princess. ^_^[/color]

• 4 weeks later...
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]There is no way I'm letting this thread fall of the page. Especially since I haven't posted in it yet.

Now, I'm not a [i]huge[/i] Zelda fan... but I do enjoy the series. One thing I always like about the Zelda games is the puzzles, and just by watching the trailer, you can tell there will be quite a bit of those.

As much as I'd like to think that Link swings his sword the same way you swing your controller, I don't think it works like that. By the looks of it, just a simple tap of the A button will bring the blade down. Now, I'm sure they'll bring in movements more into combos, but if you watch the trailer, the guy playing it doesn't seem anywhere near as energetic as the guy(s) playing Red Steel.

[B]And! Did anyone else notice? Link can jump![/B][/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]
[B]And! Did anyone else notice? Link can jump![/B][/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]OMG! No Wai! Wait... I though he could in the first one as well? Yet what do I know, I always got scared whenever the zombie like bones things came out of the ground and never got anywhere...

However part of me really likes the idea of having a fully movable Wiimote in the swordplay, now I mean if you actually think about it for a moment, maybe not for you people but when I think of being able to flail around the room aimlessly hoping that I am cutting something. I think fun. Yet having the A button only also will suffice...for now.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]The thing to remember is that TP isn't actually a Wii game, so you can't expect full support for the Wiimote. It's still a GCN game, so anything they add for Wii control has to be in addition to the normal GCN control scheme. Taking that into account, I'm still overjoyed simply by the fact that I'll get to shoot the bow with the pointer.

As for jumping, the only things I've seen are the standard auto-jump that's been present in all the 3D Zeldas when you run off a ledge or jump to grab an edge and pull yourself up, and the down strike which is an attack, like the jump attack, rather than an actual jump. I haven't seen or heard anything about plain, on command jumping--did I miss something?[/color]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Well, I haven't found any actual proof of Link being able to jump in Twilight Princess, however I did find something else that intrigued me while I was looking. During the "Lava Boss" trailer, near the beginning, when Link gets close to a scarecrow, this little shadow fairy thing pops out and talks to him.

It basically tells him that while there is a scarecrow there, he might aswell practice his sword skills. It continues on and tells him how to do the spin attack.

"Make a circle in the air to use the spin attack!"

That's not an accurate quote, so when I get home from school I'll post the screenshot. But it [i]does[/i] mean that the Wiimote will be used for slicing to some extent.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[b][center]EDIT:[/b]
[url=http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7177/loztp1da.png]I'm not sure if the symbol is a Wiimote or just a normal analog stick.[/url][/center]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Well those of you planning on getting ZTP for GC in PAL regions the game has been kicked and moved to the Wii. If your in the US you can still get it for GC seeing how the US has the biggest market. Sucks to be in a PAL region now you have to own a Wii to play this game.[/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]We've known since E3 that the motion sensors will be used to perform the spin attack, down strike, and shield bash. (Though I'm wondering if you can still perform them with the analog stick and buttons as well.) Pretty much all first-hand impressions articles I've read have made note of that.

Unless motion sensor control of the sword gets to the point where moving the controller directly corresponds to how you move your sword in the game (with varying levels of sensitivity, of course), I don't think I'd want the motion sensors to be used for normal swings. Using it for special attacks is fine, but having to constantly swing the controller around for your standard 1-2-3 combo would get old fast. So that's something I might expect to see in the next Zelda game, since it's being developed specifically for the Wii, but it would just get annoying in Twilight Princess.

As for the GCN version not being released in PAL regions: Where did you hear this? I haven't seen anything about that, and I find it a bit hard to believe that Nintendo would cut out all the GCN owners in Europe and Australia for such a big release.[/color]

[font=franklin gothic medium]You will not be able to control specific sword-slashes with the Wii remote. Sword-slashes will be controlled just as they have before - with a combination of button presses and analog stick movements.

But as Desbreko mentioned, you can use the nunchuck attachment to perform downward strikes and so on. The spin attack is actually not performed with the remote; it's performed with the nunchuck attachment.

In terms of more specific remote-related swordplay...you'd really have to play Red Steel for that. Whether or not the next Wii-specific Zelda game controls in this way is anyone's guess at the moment.[/font]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']As for the GCN version not being released in PAL regions: Where did you hear this? I haven't seen anything about that, and I find it a bit hard to believe that Nintendo would cut out all the GCN owners in Europe and Australia for such a big release.[/color][/quote]

[url]http://wii.ign.com/mail/2006-06-01.html[/url]

Found the link.

[color=#4B0082]You're refering to this part, correct?[/color]

[quote]Nintendo has opted to deliver a Cube version of Legend of Zelda: TP for its North American audience. The Cube version will be the only one to feature use of the traditional control, but it comes at the sacrifice of widescreen presentation.[/quote][color=#4B0082]It doesn't actually say anything about PAL releases, though, so I wouldn't take it to mean Nintendo definitely isn't going to release a GCN version in PAL regions. All this is saying is that they'll be releasing both GCN and Wii versions in North America.

So I still kind of doubt that Nintendo is going cut the GCN version from other regions.[/color]

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]You're refering to this part, correct?[/color]

[color=#4B0082]It doesn't actually say anything about PAL releases, though, so I wouldn't take it to mean Nintendo definitely isn't going to release a GCN version in PAL regions. All this is saying is that they'll be releasing both GCN and Wii versions in North America.

So I still kind of doubt that Nintendo is going cut the GCN version from other regions.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Yes thats correct. I could be wrong but those were my impressions. I think it would be a good business move for nintendo to can the GC version altogehter.The Wii would sell much better since I doubt people will actually by 2 copies of the game if it will be avaible for GC . But I would like to keep the GC controller as optional over the Wii controller.Now this isnt what I want but it might be a good move for nintendo to really push people into buying the Wii.[/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest SnakeFisherBub
Man I have had this game preordered for like so long that the receit is al lworn and faded by now. I'm a little disappointed that they are going to release two versions of this but I guess it's understandable. I just can't wait for it to finally come out already. I love this series. =D

Guest Milady
I'm excited about the game as well, especially to control it with the wii remote. However, the people who have played the demo at E3 this past year have complained how difficult it is to use the wii remote in TP. Most of the complaints have been with the bow and arrow. There is also a rumor that Miyamoto is making shooting a bow and arrow difficult on purpose.

I'm still not sure which I should get, the GC version or the Wii version. I really do not have the money to afford a Wii when it comes out, more important things to pay for, but I don't know if I can wait or not.

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=Blue]I'm going to get the GameCube version, simply because that's the one I have on pre-order. But since I plan on eventually buying a Wii, I'll most likely get the Wii version too.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]I hope Twilight Princess will be a challenging game. All the games I've played since Majora's Mask (Ocarina of Time, Minish Cap, Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventures) have been very easy and hardly challenging at all. Some had their difficult moments, but mostly beating them was a breeze.[/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Link's Awakening was the last Zelda game where the fights could be more difficult than the puzzles. Ever since Ocarina of Time, they've just been getting easier and easier, until we ended up with TWW and TMC, which I could probably beat with one hand tied behind my back. Four Swords Adventures was a pleasant return to balance between combat and puzzle solving, the likes of which we haven't seen since LttP and LA, but it was still pretty easy.

So I'm also really hoping they take the diffucult up a notch--actually, more like two or three notches--in Twilight Princess. LttP and LA set a great example of being difficult but not to the point of frustration, which I hope is followed. I would actually welcome a break in my streak of beating every Zelda game since LA with zero deaths on my first time through.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082'] I would actually welcome a break in my streak of beating every Zelda game since LA with zero deaths on my first time through.[/color][/quote]

[COLOR=Blue]You're luckier than I am with the death issue. Wind Waker was the only Zelda game in which I never died once in any of my three times playing it.
You are right, though. A dungeon boss is more impressive if it can sucessfully kill you a few times before you defeat it.

Anyway, from what I've seen of Twilight Princess, it strikes me as something easy. But, since all the gameplay that's been released so far have just been watered-down demos, it's much too soon to tell what the game's difficulty rating will be. I hope it will be five out of five stars in difficulty. Games that are challenging are more fun.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Wormmon's Tamer][COLOR=Blue']A dungeon boss is more impressive if it can sucessfully kill you a few times before you defeat it.[/COLOR][/quote][color=#4B0082]Definitely. LttP had a lot of challenging bosses that I still have fun fighting today, most of which kicked my butt the first time I fought them. Most of the bosses in the newer games, though, have been turned into just another puzzle where the main challenge is figuring out how to damage it. And once you get that down, they're a breeze. Besides the overall difficulty of the games, that's my biggest gripe with the newer Zelda games.

As always, though, I have to give props to Majora's Mask and Four Swords Adventures. They didn't fall into that rut, and their bosses are pretty fun to fight, even if they are easy.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Twilight Princess. The two bosses we've seen (the plant monster and the fiery thing with the chain whip) sound like they follow the same pattern of, "stun with secondary item, damage with sword while it can't move," which I really wish they'd do away with. But the game is supposed to be huge, so I'm hoping they're not [i]all[/i] like that.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082]I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Twilight Princess. The two bosses we've seen (the plant monster and the fiery thing with the chain whip) sound like they follow the same pattern of, "stun with secondary item, damage with sword while it can't move," which I really wish they'd do away with. But the game is supposed to be huge, so I'm hoping they're not [i]all[/i'] like that.[/color][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Although this is true, you have to remember that with the new Wiimote this won't be as average as you put it out to be. They could [i]easily[/i] take a boss like Sheba and change the way you fight her just by using the Wiimote in different ways.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Not really. They can change the way you control the action, but the gameplay itself will still be exactly the same: Stun, damage, repeat. The "stun" step can vary in how you accomplish it (whether that be with the Wii remote or not), which is the main thing that makes the boss fights fun. But, once you figure out how to do it, the damage and repeat steps are usually a walk in the park.

As long as they stick with the model they've been using in OoT, TWW, and TMC, where all that's required is a simple use of a secondary item to stun the bosses, they're going to become stale after the first or second time you beat them. The only real challenge is figuring out how to stun them. Sure, that makes them fun to fight once, but it turns the bosses into nothing more than puzzles with time limits; can you figure out how to damage them before they kill you? And after you've solved the puzzle once, the time limit is inconsequential because you know exactly what to do and there's barely any challenge in simply doing it.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Not really. They can change the way you control the action, but the gameplay itself will still be exactly the same: Stun, damage, repeat. The "stun" step can vary in how you accomplish it (whether that be with the Wii remote or not), which is the main thing that makes the boss fights fun. But, once you figure out how to do it, the damage and repeat steps are usually a walk in the park.[/color][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]True, but the Wiimote can still change that the staleness of the boss fights. With different ways of using a boomerang and slingshots, each boss fight will change a bit from the original stun-hit-repeat way of doing it.

Maybe the Wiimote can't change it [I]completely[/I], but it will certainly make things a bit more difficult.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Yeah, I expect there will be some fun new ways of fighting the bosses, both with and without the remote's functions. They always have added new ways in each game, to keep the fights interesting for at least the first play through. And I'm definitely looking forward to that, since I still enjoy fine tuning my strategies and finding all the little tricks for fighting the bosses.

I'm just saying, as long as they stick with that same basic formula, the bosses will never be as challenging or as fun to fight over again as LttP's, LA's, or MM's bosses. And I think that's a shame, since I really love boss fights like Blind from LttP or Goht from MM.[/color]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]What I would like to see is an option like in Tales of Symphonia where you can choose the level of difficulty. That way, even if the fight does fit a certain style and is easy to figure out, on the harder levels it would be more difficult as not only would it require far more hits to take them down, but even less hits on your part to end up dead. That way I could choose to have a difficult battle, or a rather simple one depending on my mood.

It would also be interesting if the toggling the difficulty level up resulted in more aspects required to defeat the boss. Like on easy, you only have three steps, medium five steps, hard 8 steps and so on. Regardless of how they decide to do it. Even though I won?t be getting the new system, I?m still looking forward to when this game is released.[/COLOR]