OtakuBoards

myOtaku Suggestions / Features

jblessing

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=blue]How feasible is a "Allow Only People on my Friend's List to access myO" option? I've been getting some stupid and off-topic comments on my blog, so I'm grateful to have the delete feature, but those one-word comments are starting to bug me nonetheless.[/COLOR]

[color=#737373]At the moment, members have to make do with deletion. Presuming that your comments aren't being mass-spammed, that should be okay.

However, I believe that we may have an ignore feature on the new myOtaku that we're working on. Or we'll have something in that vein. So that'll allow people to block specific members, or to set viewing options. I imagine we'll have some sort of basic feature for myO 3.0, with a more advanced version for Premium. But don't quote me on that; it really depends on what Justin feels he can include.[/color]

Guest Nita-Chan
[COLOR=SeaGreen]I think that myOtaku, as a few others have said before, needs a fanfiction section. I love to write, and when I realized that myOtaku didn't have a fanfiction section, it was kinda dissapointing...I mean, a site that big without a fanfiction section is kind of sad, don't you think? ^^; Besides, I love to write, and that's one of the reasons I felt like joining up...Of course, I didn't know, but whatever. >>[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
This is something I think the website needs desparately: higher resolution wallpapers.

Nowadays 1024x768 is no longer good enough for a large portion of people. I can't make use of any wallpapers that size without them looking like crap. The ability to submit larger ones would be great.

It would also be nice if we could actually submit the different sizes ourselves if we wanted to. The resizing feature is great and all, but it winds up blurring and artifacting and making things such as text impossible to read. I'd much rather make my own 800x600 image and put that up there too than have my wallpapers resized into some mess.

[font=arial][size=1][color=darkorchid]I miss the Random Member feature. It was so nice to randomly find someone, and now it's gone. Maybe this has been discussed and I'm just tired (even though I read through this whole thread.) Would it be possible to integrate that back into myOtaku?

And by the way, this new version has me swooning with excitement. ^_^;;[/font][/color][/size]

• 2 months later...
I can't remember the reason why the limit was put into place on the intros but I am sure if you search through some of the older posts you can find an official answer about the intros.

I can give you a suggestion on how to get around it. If you put your poems/lyrics into an image...like using the text in Photoshop, then upload it to an image hosting service (Photobucket and ImageShack are free ones if you need them) you can then just put the code in for those images and be under the character limit. Instead of counting each words characters you only have the characters of the one image.

For an example look at my intro. The only characters used in the intro are the html for the one image versus typing in the text directly into my intro. Hopefully that makes sense. I have a cold and it's making my mind a bit cloudy.

Keep in mind that having a huge intro with lots of images will result in longer page load times for those with slower connection speed. This in turn may keep people with slower connects from visiting your site. Perhaps that is the reason for the limit on intro characters?

There is a[B] huge[/B] problem with Plagerism on this website.

Almost [B]every[/B] wallpaper and greeting card contains stolen art. This website says that plageism isnt tollerated, but if that were true, would you really let this happen?

:animedepr i persoanlly know some of the origional artists,so this gets to me. You can find every solen image on either [url]www.we-love-anime.com[/url] ((which contains copyrighted Official anime images)) or [url]http://deviantart.com/[/url] ((which contains copyrighted Origional images))
:animestun

Also:
PNG format is now more common, and all around better than JPEG format, becuase it doesnt distort when i convert, but its still a small size. it would be nice if you could accept that format.

Also, also:
I have a verbal disorder, much more complex than dyslexia and much worse, and i dont feel liek its fair to take away my posting privilages ecuase of it, becuase even if i double spell check every post, ill still have errors.

Now saying every wallpaper and greeting is a bit much. I do know there are people who are less than honest and steal fan art and use it to put in their work, this is not accepted. We have moderators to help monitor this but they can't be everywhere all at once. With thousands of submissions existing on the site with hundreds added each day this would be impossible. This is where the membership becomes very important. We have a "report" button there for the members to help monitor each other. We allow members to submit their own work and allow members to monitor this same work. When you see a piece that is stolen it is very important for you to report it so it can be dealt with promptly.

Use of officially licensed work is fine to use in submissions that the members have made. These pieces cannot be just wallpapers taken from other wallpaper sites and submitted here. They need to be created by the person submitting them. They also cannot contain fan art not made by the person submitting the piece.

As for the format in which submissions are allowed that is something either Adam, Justin or James might be able to answer. Sorry I can't help you there, that was in place when I joined the site.

Now to give you a suggestion on your posting issues. We do have a very high level of posting quality here on the OtakuBoards. I suggest you do what I do when I am writing my posts. I open up my email account and use the built in spell check with the program. I write up my post in an email just like I would if I were to send it to a friend but instead copy/paste it into a post. My spell check takes care of my spelling and I do double check for grammar issues. It is not 100% perfect but it does help quite a bit.

Please use the "report" button when you see a stolen piece of work. Our site is by the fans, for the fans. We need to all work together to maintain the high quality we all enjoy. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about wallpaper/greeting submissions.

Edit: Oops, I meant to say "Saying almost every..." in my opening statement. :animeswea

[QUOTE=iyami]There is a[B] huge[/B] problem with Plagerism on this website.

Almost [B]every[/B] wallpaper and greeting card contains stolen art. This website says that plageism isnt tollerated, but if that were true, would you really let this happen?

:animedepr i persoanlly know some of the origional artists,so this gets to me. You can find every solen image on either [url]www.we-love-anime.com[/url] ((which contains copyrighted Official anime images)) or [url]http://deviantart.com/[/url] ((which contains copyrighted Origional images))
:animestun

Also:
PNG format is now more common, and all around better than JPEG format, becuase it doesnt distort when i convert, but its still a small size. it would be nice if you could accept that format.

Also, also:
I have a verbal disorder, much more complex than dyslexia and much worse, and i dont feel liek its fair to take away my posting privilages ecuase of it, becuase even if i double spell check every post, ill still have errors.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Panda. Besides I find it hard to believe that you have actually gone through every single wallpaper, fan art and e-card on this site. I?m not saying that plagiarism isn?t a problem I?m just saying that your statement is an exaggeration. I say this for several reasons.

First saying you know the original artists is a bit meaningless as there really isn?t a way to prove such a thing online.

Secondly just because an image is on a particular site does not mean that they own the picture once they post it. The only one who truly owns official art is the person who created it. For example I have scanned pictures from art-books that I have bought. Since I have the book and I have posted the pictures, it still does not make the pictures mine. They rightfully belong to the original artist who created the book.

Third, since when were the sites you listed somehow free of plagiarism? I have seen wallpapers that I created and posted here at Otaku show up on deviant art. The person who stole it didn?t even bother to remove my signature from the wallpaper. Being a member of that site does not mean it is somehow free of people who steal others work. And if you are wondering I did report the stolen wallpapers and the people who run deviant art removed the wallpapers that were stolen from me from their server.

Panda is right; if you can prove that something is stolen then use the report option when viewing a wallpaper. I have used this option many times to report items that were in the wrong category as well as ones that had been stolen. I myself reported one that someone stole from a friend of mine and the stolen wallpaper was removed from this site. If you want a site or community to be better run you have to take the time to get involved in the process, sitting back and complaining accomplishes nothing.

As for your posting issues, well in addition to using a spell check in an e-mail program, and if your current e-mail doesn?t provide that service, hotmail does and it?s free. You can use a program like word as it works well too.

[COLOR=Indigo][B]Okay now that I?m doing putting in my two cents so to speak I also have a suggestion. I think I may have mentioned it before, but I think an option to have different guest book styles would be nice. Right now they are pretty set but if you are changing how your site looks you might want something different. For example I would love the option where you could change say the background color behind just the guest book entries. I?m sure you could probably do this with html or something, but for those of use who don?t really understand html very well, it would be nice to have some pre-set styles to choose from.

I also think it would be nice to have a preview entry option like you have the chance to see what your post will look like before posting it on OtakuBoards. I am forever making mistakes and it?s a bit of a pain to have to go all the way back into modify posts just to correct a simple mistake. It would make things simpler if you could look at your myOtaku entry before posting it. I've edited this entry five times before finally posting it so it's a feature I know I would use a lot.[/B]
[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial][quote=Wallpaper Submission Agreement]
Submitting a wallpaper you did not create or [b]including artwork in your wallpaper that you did not draw[/b] is plagiarism and will not be tolerated[/quote]
So, what, 99% of every wallpaper at theO is plagiarism? That's what iyami is getting at. The submission agreement flat out says the majority of the wallpapers submitted and [u]approved[/u] are plagiarism.
[quote name='eCard Submission Agreement']eCards cannot include artwork that you yourself did not draw.[/quote]
It's the same here. I'd suggest changing both the agreements, as, really, those sections of the network would be [i]dead[/i] without using art that 'you yourself did not draw', official art or otherwise. The only other alternative is deleting most of the stuff on the servers. Which obviously isn't doable.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Submission Guidelines for theOtaku.com'] * Wallpapers can consist of modified screen shots (or official artwork / manga scans) or your own artwork, but cannot include the artwork of others. This is plagiarism.[/quote]
The quote that Rene' is referring to is the reminder right before submitting work. It is there to remind you of the above rule I posted before submitting. Using officially licensed art is not the same as using someones fan art of the same work. This is saying that you can't use the fan art of artists like Druihd who does beautiful Inu Yasha fan art. You can use Rumiko Takahashi's art books, manga and the anime itself. Official = Good. Fan Art made by someone other than you = Bad.

Please keep in mind that some members have "Senior Member" abilities to submit work without going through the approval process because they have shown that they meet the quality requirements. This of course doesn't mean they won't break the rules later on. Some senior members have been banned or their account frozen for breaking the rules after they were given the trust to submit on their own. This is where the moderators and the other members come in to help monitor the site. We police ourselves.

I understand when taking the one reminder as a stand alone rule it isn't specific as to what is "fan art" and what is "official art". This, thus implying, that all submission are plagiarized. I will see if we can be more specific in that reminder note.

That last reminder rule before submitting was more like your mom telling you to "Be careful!" when leaving the house for the day. She isn't going to sit there and remind you of every single thing she wants you to be careful of since you should already know from what she has warned you about before.

• 1 month later...
You know what I would like to see come back, the Introductions/This is Me forum. I remember when we used to have this for new or returning members to say hello, give themselves a little intro, and show off pictures of themselves to try and make things a little more intimate. I also feel like this could make Panda's job a little easier, since I've noticed quite a few new members trying to introduce themselves on the Otaku Lounge. But, thats just my opinion.

Stay Strong, Live Long
And Follow the Outlaw Life

[QUOTE=Outlaw]You know what I would like to see come back, the Introductions/This is Me forum. I remember when we used to have this for new or returning members to say hello, give themselves a little intro, and show off pictures of themselves to try and make things a little more intimate. I also feel like this could make Panda's job a little easier, since I've noticed quite a few new members trying to introduce themselves on the Otaku Lounge. But, thats just my opinion.

Stay Strong, Live Long
And Follow the Outlaw Life[/QUOTE]
[font=arial][color=indigo][size=1]This comes up every few months... the latest was:

[url]http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=48350&highlight=introductions+forum[/url][/size][/color][/font]

• 1 month later...
Do you think that when we log into our usernames, when we see the page full of thumbnails, there should be the number of comments people put in each pic under the thumbnail, number of hits (how many people looked at it also under the thumbnail), and the statistic of votes. Kind of like fanfiction.net, where it's a table of statistics. That way we don't have to search through all the pics to see which one got a new comment or got an extra vote.
Please consider it. Thanks.

[quote name='freeziepleasy']Panda wrote something about senior members. How do you become a senior member? Is it determined by how long you have been a member or how many fan art submissions you have submitted?[/quote]

that is determined by how long you have been a member of the website. I don't know how long it is.

[font=Verdana][color=blue]The title you're referring to is "Senior Artist" and is based on your submissions, not the length of time you have been a member. If there is a time-based "Senior Member" title, I've yet to see it and I've been at myO for quite a while.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Petie][font=Verdana][color=blue]The title you're referring to is "Senior Artist" and is based on your submissions, not the length of time you have been a member. If there is a time-based "Senior Member" title, I've yet to see it and I've been at myO for quite a while.[/color'][/font][/quote]

Do you know how many submissions you have to submit before becoming one? What other priviledges do Senior Artists have?
Thanks. :)