OtakuBoards

PlayStation Portable or Nintendo DS?

Guest Vash331

Guest Vash331
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]The Nintendo DS is the next hand-held gaming unit from Nintendo, and the PSP is Sony's first try at the hand-held world, i was wondering if you were to get one which one would it be?

At this point i would have to choose the PSP. Although i kinda hope the PSP falls flat on its face, because alot of Nintendo's income is coming from its monopoly in the hand-held market, and I really don't want to see Nintendo die, as i've been a fan sinse the SNES.

Anyways if you guys don't know about the PSP or Nintendo DS go to FONT][URL=http://www.gamespot.com]www.gamespot.com[/URL]

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S_Man
The DS is awesome and all, but If I were to choose, I'd pick the PSP, just from the screenshots and all...plus it'll be just like a PS2 controller w/ an analog stick-like-thing and all.

...I want both, but I would probably buy the PSP first.

Well I've been following PSP and DS info since day 1 for each. I would have to say that I'm looking forward to PSP more, but if I have the money I will get both.

If anyone has any questions, I know tons about both of them. And the best places to find info for both PSP and DS (and a ton of videos) is Ign.com. Pspinsider is also a great another great place for PSP info.

Well, looks like I'm first in support of buying a DS.

I hope SONY burns with their PSP, in a big 'ol furnace. I don't like their portable ideas. CDs=load times=no longer portable. There are other reasons too but I'm gonna keep my post short, I don't want the SONYnuts to flame me :o

Actually, all things electronical have load times. Some just have less then others. And PSP's load times won't be any longer then say GameCube's (in fact, they're likely to be shorter on average), as the disc's radius is quite small, meaning the laser has only a small distance to travel to find the info. (The PSP doesn't use CDs, it uses a new medium thats sorta like a minature dvd encased in plasic, called the UMD) It also has a large bardwidth from the disc to the PSP, and 32 mb of RAM, so load times shouldn't be a problem.

[quote name='ZakuSage']Actually, all things electronical have load times. Some just have less then others. And PSP's load times won't be any longer then say GameCube's (in fact, they're likely to be shorter on average), as the disc's radius is quite small, meaning the laser has only a small distance to travel to find the info. (The PSP doesn't use CDs, it uses a new medium thats sorta like a minature dvd encased in plasic, called the UMD) It also has a large bardwidth from the disc to the PSP, and 32 mb of RAM, so load times shouldn't be a problem.[/quote]

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]I doubt that the PSP will load faster then the DS. . I mean, I don't care what type of new medium they have. I don't know how well the optical reader will be, that, if I am not mistaken, the PSP is goig to be using. I know that those break down pretty easy, but who knows. I think I read somewhere about them using an optical reader, but I don't really want to qoute on that, in case I am wrong. .

I think Nintendo is once again going to be hurt by the fact that they are SO commited to providing gamers with. . well, gaming machines! Sony and Microsoft seem to realize that most gamers like gadgets. . I think that with the PSP being more justly classified as a gadget over the DS being an innovative gaming machine, it is going to do well on that note alone. I am a little nervious about the screen being. . uncovered. I don't like to play my portable systems in cases. . I want to be able to toss the sucker in my pocket, go to work, and pull it out when I want to game. I keep keys, change, and other objects in my pockets. Things that normally would kill a game with an exposed screen. The DS is going to rock because, once again, they are going to have a flip open machine.

A bad thing I heard about the DS is that the touch-screen gets scratched pretty easily. Nintendo said that they are working on a solution though. I know that Nintendo has said that they are going to have a slot for both the new DS game cartridges and the old Advance and lower cartridges - saying that you could pop in old games with new upgrades. This sounds a little like the N64 Disk Drive that they were working on (except this time it's being built in), except that I still don't see them using this much.

Well, the biggest factor for most gamers is price and battery life. . I think the DS will be cheaper, and it's battery life is still going to rock. I have heard estimates of the PSP running anywhere from $200 - $300 (with the higher price being the more probable). . Anyways. . I will definitely pick up the Nintendo DS, simply because the First Party games again make a system worth getting. I am seriously hoping that a lot of Third Party software companies jump on board this system, making it even stronger then I feel the DS is. While I don't mind having re-hashes of classic games, I would hope that if Nintendo tries to make any of these for the DS, that they keep in mind a cheap price on them (I don't want to have to pay $20 for Donkey Kong for example). .

I don't know how you guys are saying that the PSP screens are so much better then the DS screens. . Your seeing totally different styles of games in screen shots. . Show me the same game, or same types on either system and how it looks, and then maybe I'll try to make up my mind. As for right now, both have some nice screens out for many of their games. . It's just a little too early to tell right now. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='ZakuSage']Actually, all things electronical have load times. Some just have less then others. And PSP's load times won't be any longer then say GameCube's (in fact, they're likely to be shorter on average), as the disc's radius is quite small, meaning the laser has only a small distance to travel to find the info. (The PSP doesn't use CDs, it uses a new medium thats sorta like a minature dvd encased in plasic, called the UMD) It also has a large bardwidth from the disc to the PSP, and 32 mb of RAM, so load times shouldn't be a problem.[/quote]

Well, all things electronical have loading times..can you think of ONE Game Boy game that had a load time? Here's the facts: Cartridges have little, or no, load time. And when your playing a PORTABLE game, you don't want to have to wait for it to load. You want to be able to pick it up and play. At least, I know I do.

[color=black][font=Arial]Don't you hate it when you type a whole post up only to have it lost because your browser didn't save it? :flaming: [/font][/color][color=black][/color]

[color=darkred]I doubt that the PSP will load faster then the DS. .[/color][color=black][/color]

[color=black][size=1] [/size][/color]

[color=black][font=Arial]It really depends on the type of game (like if your playing Pong), but on average it won't.[/font][/color][color=black][/color]

[color=darkred]I don't know how well the optical reader will be, that, if I am not mistaken, the PSP is goig to be using. I know that those break down pretty easy, but who knows. I think I read somewhere about them using an optical reader, but I don't really want to qoute on that, in case I am wrong. . [/color][color=black][/color]

[color=black][font=Arial]It will use an optical reader. However, they've become quite tough over time. Take for example that I've countless times knocked over my PS2 by accident, and it's laser still works great. Or the type of beating I've put my discman through, and it works fine.[/font][/color][color=darkred]

I keep keys, change, and other objects in my pockets. Things that normally would kill a game with an exposed screen. [/color][color=black][/color]

[color=black][font=Arial]Heres a little secret: Put them in different pockets. :P[/font][/color][color=darkred]

I know that Nintendo has said that they are going to have a slot for both the new DS game cartridges and the old Advance and lower cartridges - saying that you could pop in old games with new upgrades.[/color]
[color=darkred][/color][color=black][/color]
[color=black][font=Arial]Uh, I'd hate to break it to you but... although DS will be compatible with GBA games (as it has a highly incorporated ARM7 processor), it will not be compatible with GB/C games (as it lacks the Z80 processor that the GB/C used). The Z80 is what would make the compatibility possible, but it's not there, so you'll have to settle with just GBA backwards compatibility. On top of that, the DS doesn't have the ext. port that the GBA had, so no linking with the old games.[/font][/color][color=darkred]

I have heard estimates of the PSP running anywhere from $200 - $300 (with the higher price being the more probable)[/color][color=black][/color]

[color=black][font=Arial]Just remember that Sony intends to take a loss on hardware, and to make a profit on software. I expect $200 us dollars, but I'd say it could go as high as $250 us dollars at launch.[/font][/color][color=black][/color]

[color=darkred]I don't know how you guys are saying that the PSP screens are so much better then the DS screens. . Your seeing totally different styles of games in screen shots. . Show me the same game, or same types on either system and how it looks, and then maybe I'll try to make up my mind. As for right now, both have some nice screens out for many of their games. . It's just a little too early to tell right now. [/color][color=black][/color]

[color=black][font=Arial]It is early, but if you look at the officially released spec sheet of the PSP and compare it to the "leaked" spec sheet from Nintendo (because that's all we have to go by, although so far it's been right on the money with the little tidbits Nintendo officially released) and you'll see just how powerful PSP is by comparison.[/font][/color][color=darkred][/color]

[size=1][color=black][font='Arial Black']can you think of ONE Game Boy game that had a load time? [/font][/color][color=darkred][/color][/size]

[color=darkred][size=1] [/size][/color]

[color=black][font=Arial]Yes. All of them. Let me repeat that... ALL OF THEM. They were just really short. If they didn't load, theres no game. If you're trying to tell me theres no games playable on the GB, I'd like to hear that. I have a GB right next to me and I can prove THAT wrong right away.[/font][/color][color=darkred][/color]

[size=1][color=black][font='Arial Black']Cartridges have little, or no, load time. [/font][/color][color=darkred][/color][/size]

[color=black][font=Arial] They have little. However, there are a few N64 games that have substantial load times.[/font][/color][color=darkred][/color]

[size=1][color=black][font='Arial Black']And when your playing a PORTABLE game, you don't want to have to wait for it to load.[/font][/color][color=darkred][/color][/size]

[color=black][font=Arial]Well that?s your opinion. Personally, I'd rather wait a couple seconds every now and then to get huger worlds, more vivid characters, and more interactive... well everything. Then there?s the fact that PSP's load times on average will be quite small.[/font][/color][color=darkred][/color]

[color=black][font=Arial]Now, just for the heck of it, I'll introduce something new: the DS and PSP's medium sizes! PSP will use the UMD (a new format developed by and for sole use from Sony), which has a capacity of 1.8 Gigabytes. The DS will use a card (that?s with a D, not a cart. Think of Memory Sticks, Smart Media, and SD cards) that has a capacity of 128 Megabytes.[/font][/color]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]Nobody can say whether or not the PSP will load faster than the DS. The primary reason for this (apart from any technical concerns) is the simple fact that [i]nobody has yet played a PSP or DS game[/i]. The only "playable" things we've seen are the technology demos for DS...and a couple of very simple "demos" for PSP (namely, Metal Gear Acid and that Tales game; the name eludes me right now).[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]As far as I know, the DS demos didn't have any loading times whatsoever. PSP I'm not sure, though I haven't read any complaints about load times at all. So...I imagine that discussing the differences with loading times would be an exercise in futility at this point[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]Regarding the exposed screen...I think PSP comes with an optional screen cover (though it's not a part of the actual console, it's an attachment).[/color][/size][/font]

[quote=ZakuSage]
[font=Arial]It is early, but if you look at the officially released spec sheet of the PSP and compare it to the "leaked" spec sheet from Nintendo (because that's all we have to go by, although so far it's been right on the money with the little tidbits Nintendo officially released) and you'll see just how powerful PSP is by comparison.[/font]
[/quote][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]I think that the PSP screen is definitely superior to DS. There's no question about that. The specifications spell it out, as do the hands-on impressions from various media.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]The only thing I'll say in defense of DS is that the difference comes down to hair-splitting, mostly. DS features a superior screen to GBA SP, as well as an infinitely brighter/better lighting system. So I don't think most consumers are going to get into the nitty gritty details of which screen is better/worse.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote=ZakuSage]
[font=Arial]Yes. All of them. Let me repeat that... ALL OF THEM. They were just really short. If they didn't load, theres no game. If you're trying to tell me theres no games playable on the GB, I'd like to hear that. I have a GB right next to me and I can prove THAT wrong right away.[/font]
[/quote][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]That's kinda a cop-out. Yes, all games load. But not all games have noticeable loading times -- key distinction there. Although I don't see how this relates to DS/PSP, given what are apparently going to be fairly small load times on both machines, presuming that load times are noticeable at all.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote=ZakuSage]
[font=Arial]They have little. However, there are a few N64 games that have substantial load times.[/quote][/font]

[font=Arial][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]Very, very few. Most cartridge-based games feature immediate loading. I can't think of a single N64 game that actually had a loading screen, for example. Mostly, any transitions you see in a cartridge-based game were put there by developers simply as some kind of effect or visual cue; as opposed to disc-based machines, where these screens/animations/images are used to hold the player's attention while information streams to on-board memory.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]So, generally speaking, I don't think that load times are even an issue...on either platform.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]I'd also take this opportunity to repeat something that I mentioned earlier; PSP and DS are [i]not [/i]direct competitors. Yes, they're both portable. But that's literally about the only thing that the two have in common. Even their target markets are radically different, which is why the specifications on both machines are also quite different.[/color][/size][/font]

[/font][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]But as far as I know, that discussion has already been had here...I'm only pointing out that you guys are comparing apples to oranges here. If you want to do that, that's fine...but it should be something that prefaces the entire discussion, in my opinion. If you want a true competitor to PSP, you should wait for the next Game Boy console; apparently Nintendo [i]is [/i]making a next generation Game Boy, which has no relationship with DS (which is, as Nintendo has said a billion times, a "third pillar" in their hardware portfolio).[/color][/size][/font]

Hmmm I haven't kept tabs on these that closely maybe I shoudl have eh?

I'd like to comment of something from up top. Some one said they'd hate to see the PSP do good and kill Nintendo........Ummm let's be realistic. The PSP no matter how good it is will not ever kill off the DS market or Nintendo. As James put it so nicely they are in different markets. Besides that. DO you realize how big Nintendo is in Japan, I mean that's where it was founded and those little Japanese kids would never let it die, not to mention die hard fans since the original Nintendo.

[color=#707875]The biggest problem I see with these type of debates is that they are very two dimensional.

There is an assumption that if Sony does well, Nintendo [i]must [/i]therefore be doing badly. That's not even remotely true and it doesn't reflect the complexities of the industry or the market.

The brain wave that many might be missing is simply this; [i]there is plenty of room for PSP, DS, GBA and then some[/i]. One machine being successful doesn't necessarily kill off another.

I would suggest that PSP is not being aimed at either the DS or the GBA. It has virtually nothing in common with the DS in terms of what it represents. If anything, it's closer to GBA...and even then, that's quite a stretch. I am willing to bet that PSP will appeal to a pretty different type of customer.

So, PSP may do well...fantastic. I hope it does. The more cool gaming technology out there, the better.

But let's not get into the whole "I hope PSP fails because I love Nintendo" stuff. PSP doesn't have to fail for Nintendo to do well. I guarantee you that Nintendo will continue to do well regardless of PSP -- if they fail, it won't be a result of PSP, it'll be a result of something Nintendo itself does wrong.[/color]

[quote name='NorykoAngelcry][COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]I am a little nervious about the screen being. . uncovered. I don't like to play my portable systems in cases. . I want to be able to toss the sucker in my pocket, go to work, and pull it out when I want to game. I keep keys, change, and other objects in my pockets. Things that normally would kill a game with an exposed screen. The DS is going to rock because, once again, they are going to have a flip open machine.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Indigo]What the hell did you do before the SP then, praytell?

For me, personally, it will rest solely on the games on the system. If the PSP has more games that appeal to me than the DS, I'll probably end up getting the PSP and vice versa. I have never bought a system solely for it stats, because, at the end of they day, the stats don't make the gameplay experience, the games do.

As far as I know, no release titles have been announced yet, so I can't pass judgement, though I can see myself prefering the DS, because of its backwards compatibility, which gives it an extensive back catalogue from the getgo.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[font=Verdana][color=gray]The only "playable" things we've seen are the technology demos for DS...and a couple of very simple "demos" for PSP (namely, Metal Gear Acid and that Tales game; the name eludes me right now).[/color][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][color=black][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][color=black]Tales of Eternia. Just thought I'd let you know. ;) [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray][/color][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]The only thing I'll say in defense of DS is that the difference comes down to hair-splitting, mostly. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray][/color][/size][/font]
[size=2][font=Arial][color=black]In terms of things like size, or the light used in the screen, yes. However in terms of system power and graphical power, it's huge. Thing the differences between N64 and PS2 huge (as those are the rough areas where each systems power lay).[/color][/font][/size]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#808080][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]So I don't think most consumers are going to get into the nitty gritty details of which screen is better/worse.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]When he said screens up there, he was talking about screenshots. I almost made the same mistake too. :P[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]That's kinda a cop-out. Yes, all games load. But not all games have noticeable loading times -- key distinction there. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]Ah, but even a nanosecond is an amount of time. No matter how short it is, it's still a load time. Thats all I'm trying to say.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]Very, very few. Most cartridge-based games feature immediate loading. I can't think of a single N64 game that actually had a loading screen, for example. Mostly, any transitions you see in a cartridge-based game were put there by developers simply as some kind of effect or visual cue;[/color][/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]Yes, but they do exist, and it's because it used the higher capacity carteridges and had very large worlds. The exact name excapes me, but I've heard this from many sources who are credible enough.[/size]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]I'd also take this opportunity to repeat something that I mentioned earlier; PSP and DS are [i]not [/i]direct competitors. Yes, they're both portable. But that's literally about the only thing that the two have in common. Even their target markets are radically different, which is why the specifications on both machines are also quite different.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]Well even though Sony and Nintendo both state that they won't be competeing, they will still be stitting next to each other in the store where you're buying them. They're both portable 3D gaming systems aimed at people who buy games. Thats enough to put them in some competition.[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]
[/font][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray] If you want a true competitor to PSP, you should wait for the next Game Boy console; apparently Nintendo [i]is [/i]making a next generation Game Boy, which has no relationship with DS [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]Sorry if I'm bringing up an old debate, but... who's to say that PSP, DS and the GBX won't be competing against each other. This is the way it seems to me...[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

[color=#707875]The brain wave that many might be missing is simply this; [i]there is plenty of room for PSP, DS, GBA and then some[/i]. One machine being successful doesn't necessarily kill off another.[/color]
[font=Arial]Well I've never said it would. In fact, these portables competing against each other will bring new advancements and the best games we've seen in years as they try to out to each other. The reason portable gaming has been quite dull and advancing very little over the past 15 years is because Nintendo's held a near monopoly.[/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=#4b0082]As far as I know, no release titles have been announced yet, so I can't pass judgement, though I can see myself prefering the DS, because of its backwards compatibility, which gives it an extensive back catalogue from the getgo.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#4b0082][/color][/size][/font]
[url="http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=984&topic=14088784"]http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=984&topic=14088784[/url]

That has a complete list of the games announced. Just look nearer to the end of that topic, thats where the most recent list is.

[quote name='ZakuSage][font=Arial']Tales of Eternia. Just thought I'd let you know. ;)[/quote][/font]

[color=#707875]Ah yes, thank you. I feel like I have Tales games coming out my ears lately. ~_^[/color]

[quote name='ZakuSage][font=Arial']In terms of things like size, or the light used in the screen, yes. However in terms of system power and graphical power, it's huge. Thing the differences between N64 and PS2 huge (as those are the rough areas where each systems power lay).[/quote][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#707875]Oh yes, of course. But let's not stray from the issue; I was talking about screen quality and that's all. There isn't really much to say about hardware specs; PSP is obviously far superior to DS in every sense. So yeah...that's a non-issue. I was only talking about the screens.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][quote name='ZakuSage']Ah, but even a nanosecond is an amount of time. No matter how short it is, it's still a load time. Thats all I'm trying to say.[/quote][/font]

[font=Arial][color=#707875][font=Verdana][size=2]Of course you're right, but let's not get into semantics. We are talking about noticeable loading times.[/size][/font] [/color][/font]

[font=Arial][quote name='ZakuSage']Yes, but they do exist, and it's because it used the higher capacity carteridges and had very large worlds. The exact name excapes me, but I've heard this from many sources who are credible enough.[/quote][/font]

[font=Arial][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#707875]Yeah, they do exist, absolutely. But again...we're getting into nitpicking here. Some cartridges had very minimal loading times -- so minimal, that they are barely noticeable. And when I say "some", I'm referring to a handful at the very most.[/color][/size][/font]

[/font][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]So, therefore, loading times simply become a non-issue when one is discusisng cartridges. It becomes an even larger non-issue when you're making a comparison between the cartridge medium and the optical disc medium.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][quote name='ZakuSage']Well even though Sony and Nintendo both state that they won't be competeing, they will still be stitting next to each other in the store where you're buying them. They're both portable 3D gaming systems aimed at people who buy games. Thats enough to put them in some competition.[/quote][/font]

[font=Arial][color=#707875][font=Verdana][size=2]I guarantee you, the two machines aren't directly competing. Key word - "directly".[/size][/font] [/color]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]It could be argued that [i]any [/i]piece of game hardware competes with any other piece of game hardware. If you wanted to, you could argue that PS2 competes with GBA, simply because the two machines can be found in the same department in a store.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]But of course, that kind of logic ignores the nuances of both platforms, as well as the nuances of the market itself.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]PSP's specifications (including cost), as well as the type of games you're going to see on the platform, are what largely dictate that it won't be competing directly with Nintendo DS. On the one hand, you could say that DS is aiming at the lower spectrum of the market (by virtue of what will be a cheaper price). On the other hand, you could say that DS (by the fact that it is presenting entirely new types of games) is also attempting to attract non-gamers into the market. I think that this is a particularly accurate view of what Nintendo are trying to do.[/color][/size][/font]

[/font][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]Some have said that they are going to cannibalize their GBA market with DS. But those people do not understand the market at all -- because again, it's very easy to make a blanket claim and say "System A will compete with Sysetm B because they are both portable". But as I mentioned, that tends to ignore the complexities and nuances of both the platform itself, as well as the market. But as with all things, time will tell.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][quote name='ZakuSage']Sorry if I'm bringing up an old debate, but... who's to say that PSP, DS and the GBX won't be competing against each other. This is the way it seems to me...[/quote][/font]

[font=Arial][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]Well, I'd reference my comments above. PSP isn't competing directly with DS. That's for sure. The question now becomes whether or not GBA2 is going to compete with PSP. And this largely depends on whether Nintendo decides to start matching PSP features (in terms of gaming-specific applications). It also dependings on pricing, type of games, and a whole number of other issues.[/color][/size][/font]

[/font][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]So yeah, it's a complex question. It's not just about saying "all of these products are on the shelf, so they are automatically competing". I mean, yes...a GBA game and a PS2 game might simultaneously be competing for my attention as a consumer. But obviously it's not that simple. This is why the market tends to be divided into market segments, rather than just one big melting pot.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][quote name='ZakuSage']Well I've never said it would. In fact, these portables competing against each other will bring new advancements and the best games we've seen in years as they try to out to each other. The reason portable gaming has been quite dull and advancing very little over the past 15 years is because Nintendo's held a near monopoly.[/quote][/font]

[font=Arial][color=#707875][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]Yeah...I never said that you said it would. ~_^[/color][/size][/font] [/color]

[/font][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]Sorry about that, I wasn't referring to you really. I was referring to those who believe that PSP success automatically equals DS or GBA failure. It's a somewhat understandable reaction, considering the history of the market. But...given [i]today's [/i]market, it's not realistic.[/color][/size][/font]

Well I guess I'm just not experienced enough in the knowledge of markets, but say a few years from now I walk into EB and have $200, and am ready to buy 1 (and only 1) portable gaming device. I know that I'm going to be looking at all the ones that are available. I can imagine lots of people doing this too, although I'm not sure if this is considered competition (or more precisely [b]direct [/b]competition).

[QUOTE=Sesshomuru]I would want the Nintendo ds.I think nintendo is better then sony.
And I've mostly got nintendo things.[/QUOTE]

Please put more effort into your post quality. Your post doesn't really add very much to the discussion at hand; all you said, basically, was that you want the Nintendo DS. But [i]why[/i] do you want the DS? What is it about the DS that draws you to it over the PSP (based on the little information that's been released thus far lol)?

Well I like the nintendo ds since it's gonna have a lot more cool nitendo games.Like the legend of zelda where Link looks more mature.And I'm a big fan of nintendo and all the playstation systems have bad graphics.And another fact Veiwtiful Joe is a nintendo only product yet psp is going to get Veiwtiful Joe 2.Which they get easy mode and an unlockable character from Macross.And I'm going to stick by nintendos side.And I hope this post was a bit better.

Geez I've been getting told things a lot.......

[quote name='Sesshomuru']Well I like the nintendo ds since it's gonna have a lot more cool nitendo games.Like the legend of zelda where Link looks more mature.[/quote] [font=Arial][size=1][color=Indigo]Gamecube, dude. You're thinking of the Gamecube. The new LoZ for handhelds has exactly the same style as each handheld Zelda before it.[/color][/size][/font]
[quote name='Sesshomuru']And I'm a big fan of nintendo and all the playstation systems have bad graphics.[/quote] [font=Arial][size=1][color=Indigo]I want you to watch the movie sequences of Final Fantasy X and X-2 and tell me that again. Its great that you're sticking with Nintendo (consumer loyalty? lol) but that doesn't give you the right to make broad generalizations about another console.[/color][/size][/font]
[quote name='Sesshomuru']And another fact Veiwtiful Joe is a nintendo only product yet psp is going to get Veiwtiful Joe 2.[/quote] [font=Arial][size=1][color=Indigo]Viewtiful Joe is a Capcom product, not Nintendo. They have every right to put it on other consoles, and thus increase their profit (gotta love capitilism ;)). Besides, its coming out on PS2, not PSP. A game of that scope could never fit on a handheld.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Sesshomuru']Well I like the nintendo ds since it's gonna have a lot more cool nitendo games.Like the legend of zelda where Link looks more mature.And I'm a big fan of nintendo and all the playstation systems have bad graphics.And another fact Veiwtiful Joe is a nintendo only product yet psp is going to get Veiwtiful Joe 2.Which they get easy mode and an unlockable character from Macross.And I'm going to stick by nintendos side.And I hope this post was a bit better.[/quote]
First: Saying all Playstation systems have bad graphics is ignorant. PS2 for example is a very powerful system, and any differences graphically in the current generation of consoles is very tiny. This article is very enlightening on the power of the system: [url="http://www.cybercrash.be/xboxvsps2h.html"]http://www.cybercrash.be/xboxvsps2h.html[/url] Also, as has already been said, the PSP is a lot more powerful then the DS.

Second: Viewtiful Joe is not a Nintendo only product. Check it out: [url="http://my.ign.com/my/sb?pageID=2003&nuaction=gameSearch&gameTitleSearch=viewtiful"]http://my.ign.com/my/sb?pageID=2003&nuaction=gameSearch&gameTitleSearch=viewtiful[/url] Also the Viewtiful Joe game to be released on PSP is not confirmed to be the 2nd.

I know Veiwtiful Joe is not nintendo only.Ihad just forgotten since I haven't played it in awhile and the new zelda game isn't the same as the others.I can't wait till my freinds site is back up!I just feel like people hate me on this site.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[QUOTE=James][font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]I guarantee you, the two machines aren't directly competing. Key word - "directly".[/size][/font] [/color]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]It could be argued that [i]any [/i]piece of game hardware competes with any other piece of game hardware. If you wanted to, you could argue that PS2 competes with GBA, simply because the two machines can be found in the same department in a store.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=gray]But of course, that kind of logic ignores the nuances of both platforms, as well as the nuances of the market itself.[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

This is sort of like saying that two movies in theaters don't compete with each other just because they're different genres. Yes, Catwoman and Skipping Christmas are aimed at somewhat different audiences, but to say that the films therefore don't compete (assuming they're in theaters at the same time, which they're not but let's say they are for argument's sake) is a cop-out because the audiences still overlap.

Now, there's no way to run an experiment and say, well, this is how DS would do without the PSP out, and this is how it would do WITH the PSP out. But I think that because the target audiences overlap (examples being you and I), there will be some DIRECT competition. It's quite direct as far as I'm concerned as a buyer, that's for sure.

[color=#707875]Wait a minute. You may want to re-read what I said. I said that the two machines are not [i]directly [/i]competing. They aren't. They are going to be targeted at completely different audiences.

Does a Mercedes Benz S-Class compete with a mid-range Hyundai? No. They're both cars...and the two dealerships might be right next door to one another. But this doesn't mean that they directly compete.

The exact same principle can be applied to DS/PSP. PSP is a much more high-end machine, which Sony hopes will carve out its own top-end niche in the market.

DS is more of a mid-range product. It will be more expensive and more fully-featured than GBA, but it won't be a "multimedia" type machine, like PSP. And the pricing will reflect that.

So, this is what I'm trying to say. Yes, [i]of course[/i] there will be some overlap. That's a given. And I've mentioned that before -- there's always some level of overlapping in terms of target market. But make no mistake that the two machines are aimed at very different ends of the market, which is something that dictates their design and pricing as well.[/color]