OtakuBoards

PlayStation Portable or Nintendo DS?

Guest Vash331

[QUOTE=Charles]

[color=black]The DS just seems like a testing ground. Although it's completely different from the GameBoy line, I can't see Nintendo focusing on it once the successor to the GameBoy Advance launches to compete with PSP (if the PSP sells well enough to warrant any true competition, which should take quite a while considering how the market stands). Thus far the uses developers have found for the touch screen don't seem very innovative or fun. Obviously there are exceptions, but--drawing a pentagram to put the finishing touches on bosses in Castlevania DS? Looking at a track layout for Ridge Racer? No thank you. Currently, the only released title that interests me on the system is Super Mario 64 DS--and it's just a spruced up port of an aged game. The enhancements are excellent but hardly enough to carry the system at this time for me. Also, I would find it rather awkward using the touch screen on a bus or something, defeating its purpose as a handheld. [/color]
[color=black] [/color]
[color=black]I'd rather wait for titles like Metroid Prime: Hunters and Wario Ware. Rather than plunk down $150 I thin it'd be prudent to see how Nintendo supports it long-term. Also, I know that it'll drop in price significantly once the PSP launches despite the illusion that they're not directly competing at the moment.[/color]
[color=black] [/color]
[color=black]So, that initial must-buy impulse just isn't there for me. I can wait. Being wary is the best approach here.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=#811C3A]I agree, the launch lineup for DS is pretty average. But that's nothing exclusive to DS -- PS2 had a pretty poor launch lineup, as did PSP (in Japan, anyway).

But the launch lineup isn't the measure of the machine, in either case. The measure is what we'll see in the first year or two. And I'm sure we'll see great games for both platforms.

The thing with DS is, a [i]lot[/i] of developers have expressed great excitement over it, which has actually directly turned into development support. So while we're only seeing the very first ideas right now, we'll see more and more robust (and fun) uses for the DS's unique technology in the coming months and years.

In terms of GBA 2, I have no doubt that Nintendo will continue to support DS at that point. When they say that it's a third pillar, they really aren't joking -- one could make the argument that they should focus on DS and stop supporting GBA (because DS is a "better" or "more powerful" handheld -- so why support GBA while it's out there?)

But GBA sales have continued to climb, despite DS's early sales success. So I think the point I'd make (which also relates to DS versus PSP) is that where PSP and GBA are both much more like "TV game systems in your pocket", Nintendo DS is something entirely different -- it's like an offramp on the highway, so to speak.

Additionally, there is no illusion that these two aren't competing -- they are certainly competing indirectly, but they are [i]not[/i] direct competitors. I can't stress that enough. I do not believe that Nintendo will need to drop the DS's price when the PSP comes out, because I think that both systems can exist in two pretty different market segments (with some obvious overlap), in the same way that GBA and DS can exist together without one automatically cannibalizing the other.

I think that being wary is always the best solution though. Most people don't pick up new game systems at launch. It takes time for these systems to acquire the kind of library to justify purchase. And that's fair enough - it's the same with any system, handheld or otherwise.[/color]

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='James][color=#811C3A]Additionally, there is no illusion that these two aren't competing -- they are certainly competing indirectly, but they are [i]not[/i'] direct competitors. I can't stress that enough. I do not believe that Nintendo will need to drop the DS's price when the PSP comes out, because I think that both systems can exist in two pretty different market segments (with some obvious overlap), in the same way that GBA and DS can exist together without one automatically cannibalizing the other[/color][/quote]
I am by no means ridiculing you, but I would like to know, how would you classify the different markets that these fall into?

[quote name='natetron46']I am by no means ridiculing you, but I would like to know, how would you classify the different markets that these fall into?[/quote]

[color=#811C3A]I have gone into this before, but I'll go over it again.

It's important to recognize that two systems that are "portable" are not necessarily going to deliver the same game experience, nor will they necessarily be targeted at exactly the same audience.

A good example of this can already be found with home game systems. In the current generation, we've seen a greater divergence between the three major platforms (GameCube, Xbox and PlayStation 2). Where one consumer may buy PS2 based on its multimedia functions, another may buy Xbox because they want Xbox Live. These two consumers are both buying [b]games[/b], but they are still different types of consumers within the same market -- they are still looking for different experiences.

The same is true with PSP and DS.

Where PSP seeks to take the PlayStation brand on the road, Nintendo DS seeks to create an experience that isn't physically possible on other platforms (including GameCube).

I think that people misinterpret me when I say that. I'm not intending to suggest that DS is some groundbreaking revolution that everyone needs to love. What I'm saying, is that the entire point of DS is to deliver experiences that you simply can't have on any other game system. Those experiences come via its unique hardware (touch screen and microphone in particular).

PSP presents players with an experience that they are already having on PS2 -- that is, music, movie and game capability. Specifically, PSP's controller layout is the same as PS2. So, your interaction with PSP games will feel the same as what you've experienced on PS2 and other platforms. This doesn't mean that PSP won't have exclusive or unique games; but that is not my argument. My argument is that the physical experience you have on PSP is an experience you are going to be familiar with.

So, PSP is much more a competitor to GBA, in terms of its design and intention. GBA itself is essentially a portable SNES. So GBA itself isn't actually creating a new type of game interaction -- it is replicating what exists in game hardware and putting it in your pocket.

We have to realize that most consumers are not highly savvy "hardcore gamers". That is to say, they aren't going to go into heavy research about these systems.

Most gamers will go into a store and they will choose something by looking at the back of the box, or by asking the advice of the store clerk. In the case of PSP and DS, most consumers are going to see the DS package and look at the stylus -- when they try the system out at a kiosk, they'll be using the stylus. The touch screen is the central feature of the unit. People who want that new type of feeling are going to be attracted to DS. On the other hand, people who want to play home console games on the road will be going for PSP.

If you look at the games being made available for both systems, you are obviously going to see a small percentage that are ports and so on. But when you look at the exclusives, you're going to see massive differences. DS-specific games are physically unlike games for any other system available, which in itself ensures that the machine has a different type of appeal than either GBA or PSP.

Whether or not this difference is a good thing or a bad thing is something that only time will tell.

But the point I've been making all along is that fundamentally, DS and PSP are two quite different game systems. Their physical designs are different, the purpose behind each machine is fundamentally different and the systems are going after different consumers in general.

Yes, there'll be some obvious crossover. And yes, both systems will compete for shelf visibility in retailers -- in the same way that a GBA competes for your eye's attention over an Xbox or a PS2. All of these machines are video game systems, but it's important to recognize that two video game systems are not necessarily direct competitors. In this case, we're not even talking GameCube versus Xbox (which one could argue do not directly compete most of the time, especially if you look at the demographics that both companies target). In this case we're talking about a far more stark contrast -- a traditional, next generation handheld system versus a totally new type of game system.

As I said, whether that "new experience" is successful or not is anyone's guess. But I don't think DS's success will necessarily come from wrestling people away from PSP. Instead, a large amount of its success will come from attracting non-gamers, or gamers who may own a home system but who generally aren't interested in handhelds. In other words, Nintendo are not intending to draw users away from GBA or PSP specifically (as we've seen evidenced by GBA and DS sales results).

I know that most people don't tend to make these distinctions, which is fair -- most people aren't in a position where they need to have an understanding of this side of the subject. However, I think that the gaming media has generally been very slow on the uptake. Some media outlets are connecting the dots correctly, though, which is good to see. I think that the results that we see over the next year will help to further underline the points I've been making here (and which others in the media have made in recent times too).[/color]

Nintendo has always controlled the handheld market and I see no reason for them to give that up in the near future. The DS looks like a great product with some good games that will continue their dominance. It looks like the handheld market is all they have left though.

This is an interesting one. You see, on one hand, my loyalty lies with Nintendo, it always has and it always will, but there are a few PSP screenshots that seriously make me think. The DS has some good-looking games, but the PSP just looks downright amazing. However, the DS is striving for something new and creative, and people really black ball it because of that. It is not, by any means, a conventional console. Right now, my money is on the Nintendo DS, for three simple reasons:
[B]
1. They have name recognition in the handheld market

2. They released the DS almost six months before the PSP, and the PSP still doesn't have a solid release date.

3. Nintendo has a large and loyal fan base that is more than willing to plug $150 on a new handheld, even if only one or two of the launch titles are worth anything. [/B]

Still, I've heard a lot of talk about the PSP, and I am trying to look at both sides of this issue. The PSP has Advent Rising, and Metal Gear Ac!d, both of which look like more than amazing in terms of graphics, although MGA's card-combat system looks...questionable. Could that and a price tag only 50 dollars more than the DS make it dominate? I'm keeping an open mind, and I won;t go buying either one until the verdict on the PSP is in, and I've gotten a chance to play it (I've played a bit of DS, and I thought it was pretty good.) Until then, I'm not saying anything one way or the other, despite strong points on both sides.

[quote name='Attimus331']I'm gonna watch final fantasy advent childeren![/quote]
As will I. The difference is, of course, that I will watch it on a 30 inch screen with surround sound. You will watch it on a 5 inch screen with mono.

[quote name='Attimus331']I personally think the DS is awesome. I like the pictochat. I draw naughty pictures! HEHE. But it's just not enough. [/quote]
Awww...I thought DS had more than one game. Oh yeah, it has [B]TEN[/B] .

[quote name='Attimus331']As for the battery life, i personally think Sony will fix that problem. But it's not based on anything, i'm just being hopeful. But really though, i don't play handhelds too long, 2 hours will be enough for one sitting....for me anyways.[/quote]
It's not so much how much you use in one sitting as remembering to recharge. Besides, I've gone on trips where I'm not at an outlet for 10-12 hours, so having it always there is helpful. As for fixing it, it really doesn't work that way without buying another and/or extention Lithium-ion battery, which could be $50-$100. Sony can't just make ridge racer or any other game that accesses the UMD frequently last longer. They already have the highest capacity battery they have.

I'll say the Nintendo DS over the PSP, because Nintendo has always dominated the handheld market. Whatever competition come around to compete them, Nintendo always came out on top. So many, handheld systems have came to compete with Nintendo's Game Boy, but, none of them could bring down the Game Boy. But, Sony might come out and dominate the handheld market just like the console market. It all depends on the games that are coming out for those systems. If no good games come out for a system, it doesn't matter what specs or graphics a system has.

[quote name='jedite']...It all depends on the games that are coming out for those systems. If no good games come out for a system, it doesn't matter what specs or graphics a system has.[/quote]
true. their are good games for both handheld right now, or soon to come out. The PSP has MetalGearAcid, Need for Speed Rivals, and the DS has Mario, and some other games Im waiting for such as Veiwtiful Joe, and that game soon to come out in Japan called ShonenAnime. Well I am a loyal fan of Nintendo, but seeing this types of threads at other boards and so as this, seems childish to me. I mean, just like consoles, each and every handheld brings different experiences, just as James said on his post. Choosing which device is better, is kinda pointless...

Has anyone noticed that the psp's battery capacity(1800mah) is over twice the size of the ds's(850mah) and the maximum length of play time is a little over half that of the ds's. An important factor for my purchasing electronics is long battery life and the psp just doesn't have that at the moment. I also really enjoy the mouselike precision of the touch screen for metroid, which would make fps killer on the ds. Oh, i can only imagine!!!

• 2 weeks later...
In this thread there have been many different prices announced for the PSP...well the malarky is over...

the Base price for a PSP is $179-199
the Value Pack is between $229-249

The PSP is better for many reasons. The PSP has graphics that are much better than the DS. The PSP has a much better lineup and the Wireless & LAN will be much better than the DS. The PSP will also play and store MP3 and Movies that you can watch. The DS is very bulky and is noticable to carry around. The PSP is much thinner and is not bulky at all.

Another huge factor is that the PSP is backed by many more developers and has much more support than the DS. Over 99 developers and production companies have already signed up for PSP development.

[b]The PSP has graphics that are much better than the DS. [/b]
If Graphics were more important, Microsoft wouldn't be dead last.

[b]The PSP has a much better lineup[/b]
That means nothing. You can make a good army men game and a bad GTA game. Until we can play more than a few titles for each, we won't really know which has better software.

[b]the Wireless & LAN will be much better than the DS.[/b]
Yet again, we don't know yet. Games will dictate how good the wireless is.

[b]The PSP will also play and store MP3 and Movies that you can watch.[/b]
DS will have an adapter with cheaper media.

[b]The DS is very bulky and is noticable to carry around. The PSP is much thinner and is not bulky at all.[/b]
They are both very bulky and not meant for a pocket.

[b]Another huge factor is that the PSP is backed by many more developers and has much more support than the DS. Over 99 developers and production companies have already signed up for PSP development.[/b]
Here you are flat out wrong. Not only does DS have more support, it has created real excitement in the gaming world. That has only been done twice: 2600 and NES.

Hmmm...you think you know quite alot....well, im sorry but everything i said was true....

The graphics ARE better...The lineup, while you cant tell how good it will be, has many more well known titles that are in the works for it.The LAN will be much better because the DS is just pointless, trust me ive played my friends alot. As for movies and MP3, all i said was that the PSP can do that. As for size, the real PSP has already been made, and it is MUCH smaller and thinner than the DS. The DS is huge; the PSP can easily fit in a pocket, but not the DS! The PSP has a huge amount of support also; The list is huge!

Specs for the PSP, Just to show you that they really are good...
PSP CPU Core

PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
32MB Main Memory
4MD Embedded DRAM

Media

UMD Drive (Playback only)
Region Code
Parental Control

Format

PSP Game
UMD Audio
UMD Video

Input/Output

IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi)
USB 2.0 (Target)
Memory Stick PRO Duo
IrDA
IR Remote (SIRCS)

5V DC OUT
Terminals for charging built-in battery
Headphone/Microphone/Control connector

Control:
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Analog pad
Enter keys (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Left, Right keys (shoulder buttons)
START, SELECT, HOME
POWER On/Hold/Off switch
Brightness control, Sound Mode, Volume +/-
Wireless LAN On/Off switch
UMD Eject

Size Details

Dimensions: Approxately 170mm (L) x 74mm (W) x 23mm (D)
Weight: Approximately 260g (including battery)

Other Specifications

Screen: 4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD
480 x 272 pixel (16.77 million colors)
Max. 200 cd/m2 (with brightness control)
Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in lithium-ion battery
AC adaptor
128 bit AES encryption
Individual ID for each PSP hardware unit

Accessories

Stand
Headphone with remote commander
Headphone with remote commander and microphone
External battery pack
Case
Strap
USB Camera for PSP (E3 Prototype only)
USB GPS for PSP (E3 Prototype only)
USB Keyboard for PSP (E3 Prototype only)

PSP CPU CORE
MIPS R4000 32bit Core
128bit Bus
1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V
Main Memory :8MB(eDRAM) (**Changed to 32MB, 4MB embedded in May 2004)
Bus Bandwidth :2.6GB/sec
I-Cache, D-Cache
FPU, VFPU (Vector Unit) @ 2.6GFlops
3D-CG Extended Instructions

PSP Media Engine
MIPS R4000 32bit Core
128bit Bus
1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V
Sub Memory:2MB(eDRAM) @ 2.6GB/sec
I-Cache, D-Cache
90nm CMOS

PSP Graphics Core 1
3D Curved Surface + 3D Polygon
Compressed Texture
Hardware Clipping, Morphing, Bone(8)
Hardware Tessellator
Bezier, B-Spline(NURBS)
ex 4x4, 16x16, 64x64 sub-division

PSP Graphics Core 2
'Rendering Engine' + 'Surface Engine'
256bit Bus, 1-166 MHz @ 1.2V (**Changed to 512bit Bus in final version)
VRAM :2MB(eDRAM)
Bus Bandwidth :5.3GB/sec
Pixel Fill Rate :664 M pixels/sec
max 33 M polygon /sec(T&L)
24bit Full Color:RGBA

PSP Sound Core: VME
Reconfigurable DSPs
128bit Bus
166MHz @1.2V
5 Giga Operations /sec
CODEC
3D Sound, Multi-Channel
Synthesizer, Effecter, etc

UMD(Universal Media Disc)
60mm
Laser Diode:660nm
Dual Layer :1.8GB
Transfer Rate:11Mbps
Shock Proof
Secure ROM by AES
Unique Disc ID

AVC Decoder
AVC(H.264) Decoder
Main Profile
Baseline Profile
@Level1,Level2,Level3
2Hours(High Quality) - DVD movie
4Hours(Standard Quality) - CS Digital

I/O
USB 2.0
Memory Stick
Extension Port(reserved)
Stereo Head phone Out

Communication
Wireless LAN (i802.11)
IrDA
USB 2.0

Is the PSP more powerful? Yes.
Does that matter? Not really.

Do you known how many well know titles have been announced for DS? More than 30.
Does that affect the quality of the games? No.

You have played the DS wireless, but not the PSP's. That makes no sense. Is kool-aid better than off-brand? You don't know if you've only had one.

I understand that the PSP is more powerful. But that doesn't matter. No matter how good a game looks, it can still suck.

How can you argue that PSP is better because of music and movies if DS can do it better?

The specs you gave still make the psp bulky. You can put both in your pocket, but it's still bulky.

PSP: 6.7 in x 2.91 in x 0.91 in
DS: 5.85 in x 3.33 in x 1.13 in
They are about the same size: Bulky.

Have you TRIED putting the DS in your pocket...? I cant fit it into mine... Anywho, you keep trying to back up the DS with "oh yeah 30 titles so its better" kind of attitude, and keep saying that the PSP games might suck so I cant say I like the PSP better, but cant the same be said about the DS...? Can't I just backfire what you said, "Is kool-aid better than off-brand? [B]You don't know if you've only had one.[/B]
So, what you are arguing for the DS is the same as what I'm saying about the PSP. Don't freakin give me a lecture if you are saying the same exact thing as me and then try to play it off like your smarter than me, and what your saying makes more sense or has more evidence or meaning than what I'm saying.

[QUOTE=W00t,iM uNbAnNd]In this thread there have been many different prices announced for the PSP...well the malarky is over...

the Base price for a PSP is $179-199
the Value Pack is between $229-249

The PSP is better for many reasons. The PSP has graphics that are much better than the DS. The PSP has a much better lineup and the Wireless & LAN will be much better than the DS. The PSP will also play and store MP3 and Movies that you can watch. The DS is very bulky and is noticable to carry around. The PSP is much thinner and is not bulky at all.

Another huge factor is that the PSP is backed by many more developers and has much more support than the DS. Over 99 developers and production companies have already signed up for PSP development.[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]One thing that has to be accounted for when comparing launch line-ups and games in general, is that it's completely subjective. One person may love a lot of games for the PSP and hate a lot of the games for the DS -- the opposite is also possible. You can't argue that one system is better than the other overall just because you personally happen to like more games on one than the other. Only total sales numbers will show which games are actually more successful.

Same thing with graphics. One system may be technologically superior and can produce better graphics than another, but what happens when you get someone like me, who doesn't care about that difference? Well, that supposed advantage means nothing to me. The DS handles 3D well enough, and the PSP's graphics don't impress me. And on the other hand, there are people that won't play games if they don't look good enough, so the PSP's better graphics will be a big thing for them. It just depends.

Morpheus does have a valid point about the wireless capabilities, though: You can't know which is better without having used both. You just don't have the experience. You may not like one, but that doesn't automatically mean you'll like the other more.

And I would also argue that the DS has only been out for a couple months, so you can't expect the full potential of the DS's wireless capabilities to be used yet. Give it some time and you may see some cool things happen. Personally, I never expected it to be used for more than multiplayer games and Pictochat at launch, and I don't expect any more from PSP when it launches.

As for movies/mp3 capabilities, I don't really have any comments, since I haven't been keeping up with what all the PSP can do, and what's being planned for DS. Personally, I'm going to be buying a DS for the games, and if I ever get a PSP, it will also be for the games. Secondary functions don't interest me much.

About the systems' sizes and being able to fit into pockets. ... Well, that really depends on the size of your pockets, doesn't it? I've seen a friend's DS, and also life-size pictures of the PSP, and I don't think I'd have trouble fitting either into my jacket's inside pocket. Which is about the only place I carry my GBA SP as it is.

Something about the number of developers that I'd ask is, do you have any numbers on DS's support? If not, how can you say PSP has better support? Do you know that for a fact? And if PSP does have more support, is the difference actually a substantial amount? If you want to make an argument like that and be taken seriously, you really need numbers for both systems.

Not that I'm bashing the PSP, but your argument does have a lot of holes in it.[/color]

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]
Same thing with graphics. One system may be technologically superior and can produce better graphics than another, but what happens when you get someone like me, who doesn't care about that difference? Well, that supposed advantage means nothing to me. The DS handles 3D well enough, and the PSP's graphics don't impress me. And on the other hand, there are people that won't play games if they don't look good enough, so the PSP's better graphics will be a big thing for them. It just depends.

Morpheus does have a valid point about the wireless capabilities, though: You can't know which is better without having used both. You just don't have the experience. You may not like one, but that doesn't automatically mean you'll like the other more.

About the systems' sizes and being able to fit into pockets. ... Well, that really depends on the size of your pockets, doesn't it? I've seen a friend's DS, and also life-size pictures of the PSP, and I don't think I'd have trouble fitting either into my jacket's inside pocket. Which is about the only place I carry my GBA SP as it is.

Something about the number of developers that I'd ask is, do you have any numbers on DS's support? If not, how can you say PSP has better support? Do you know that for a fact? And if PSP does have more support, is the difference actually a substantial amount? If you want to make an argument like that and be taken seriously, you really need numbers for both systems.
[/color][/QUOTE]

For Morpheus' views of the wireless capabilities, I also agree with him and you about that you can't judge something before you've tested it. I was just putting in my [I]opinion[/I] about the DS and PSP (isn't that what a forum is about, people posting thier ideas and opinions and discussing them with others?). I have played the DS and I found it very disappointing, and so I hope the PSP is better with that. Another reason [I]I believe[/I] that the PSP with be better with wireless is that Sony has much more experience with the consumers and online play (PS2). Nintendo however, has had only 1 successful online game for GameCube (PSO) that had a short life span.

From looking at the specs of size and wieght, the PSP strongly wins in this category. Everyone can think what they want to about it, but the fact of the matter is that the PSP will always slide in easier into a pants pocket than a DS. :)

As for the support of the PSP and DS, you can surf the web and easily find out about the support for both. From what I have done, it seems that the PSP is backed by alot more support than the DS. A good website to get alot of information about both is the obvious [url]www.ign.com[/url] They have alot of good information about both, as thats where I grabbed that list of specs in my previous post from. Yes, you shouldn't judge something by its graphics and say that something with better graphics is the better of two. What many people mainly look for in games is good graphics followed by storyline. I don't care as much for graphics(I find myself playing my Zelda on NES every week), but good graphics is always a plus.

[color=#4B0082]Yeah, an opinion is fine. It's just the way you said it at first, it sounded like you were saying PSP's wireless would [i]for sure[/i] be better, without any reasons to back it up. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm curious, though, why exactly you find the wireless on the DS to be disappointing. It's probably the feature I'm most interested in, so if you have any comments, I'd really like to hear them.

And true, the PSP is a bit smaller, there's no way around that. I just wonder how big a difference it really is, when it comes to practicality. Like I said, I doubt I'd have trouble carrying either. Though then again, I never carry my GBA SP in my pants pocket unless I absolutely have to. I find even that to be too uncomfortable, so I always use either my jacket's inside pocket or just stick it in my backpack -- since school is about the only place I take it.

I have seen occasional numbers for developers supporting DS/PSP and games that have been announced, though I don't keep up with them too much. But I was just saying, it's a good idea to present both sides when making a claim, since you usually can't count on people to go look up whether you're right or not. That, and it seems like a lot of people will make claims like that without themselves actually having looked up the numbers on both sides, so I tend to be wary of that.

But still, DS is getting quite a bit of support itself. I certainly wouldn't say it's lacking in support, at any rate. Nintendo Power keeps a monthly list of games announced for it, and there are a good number of big name titles on it.

Oh, and you've instantly gained some respect by mentioning that you still play the original Zelda, heh.[/color]

I'd say a .2 inch difference in thickness won't make much difference. Also, another thing I look for in a handheld is structural integrity. I have had GBC, GBA, GBASP, and DS, and I have dropped them all at least once. I've always liked the fact that I could accidently throw my Nintendo handheld through a closed window and it would still work. My friend slammed his DS in a car door and it broke the inside lining of the top screen and the crystal leaked around, but A) The liquid never got out B) The outside was unharmed and C) He could still use it. It powered on like nothing had happened. Sony systems have always been easy to break, but we'll wait and see if this has changed with the psp.

Actually that is a good point I haven't given much thought. From what I've read, the the best thing for the PSP is to have on it a cover at all times. Apparently, from what I've read, the PSP can scratch easily. In the PSM magazine, they compared it to an iPod, and only lord knows how many scratches I have on my PSP lol :(

[color=#334366]Just to point something out on the wireless front; PSP and DS share the same Wi-Fi capability.

If anything, DS has the superior wireless function. Why? Because DS has [i]two[/i] wireless standards: Wi-Fi and Nintendo's own proprietary system.

As far as I know, PSP exclusively uses Wi-Fi. In any case, both of these systems will perform the same when it comes to wireless capability. The only difference is that Wi-Fi useage will drain the battery so, with PSP if you are using Wi-Fi all the time, your battery life will be further limited. This is obviously not such a significant problem on DS.

In regard to breakability...I'm hoping that Sony fixes some of PSP's design issues when it comes out here. Kutagari's statements don't lead me to believe that they will, but [i]hopefully[/i] they will. If not, PSP is unnecessary shooting itself in the foot. lol[/color]

[quote name='James][color=#334366]In regard to breakability...I'm hoping that Sony fixes some of PSP's design issues when it comes out here. Kutagari's statements don't lead me to believe that they will, but [i]hopefully[/i'] they will. If not, PSP is unnecessary shooting itself in the foot. lol[/color][/quote]

Maybe it was mentioned, but this reminds me of something about the PSP that was brought up recently. Apparently one of the buttons randomly sticks and it's impacting gameplay for people, obviously.

Sony's response to this was basically that it was supposed to stick and that developers would have to find a way around it. Obviously a very ridiculous and arrogant statement. I have no idea if future models will be fixed or not, but I'd hope so.

• 11 months later...