OtakuBoards

PlayStation Portable or Nintendo DS?

Guest Vash331

PSP definately. There's a lot more versatility in what it can do (games, movies, music, internet), the graphics are incredible, and you don't need a stylus. The only downside is the loading time, but it's worth it.

DS seems okay when you first get it, but not too long afterwards, it looses a lot of its appeal. The graphics aren't that great compared to PSP, the functions are limited, and the stylus gameplay thing kind of bugs me.

But then again, this is just me.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DarkRed]Yes the PSP win this one. I think both of the systems games get good ratings, but nothing special. the ability to download music, watch movies and better portable online play for the PSP make it a winner in my book.

But also I have to say it is still close competition between the two. While the PSP boasts better graphics Nintendo has been able to make very good games for the DS(ex. [I]Advance Wars: Duel Strike[/I] and [I]Nintendogs[/I]). Keeping to tradition though Nintendo's selection for the DS is for a younger audience. Aslo the inability to play music or movies( like its brethern the Gamecube) it became less popular thean the PSP. Nintendo can make good( even [B]great[/B] games) but fails to market an attractive system for them. Much unlike Sony, who has a great system and games for it. After all is said and done, the PSP is for me.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Judgement][color=darkred] Keeping to tradition though Nintendo's selection for the DS is for a younger audience. Aslo the inability to play music or movies( like its brethern the Gamecube) it became less popular thean the PSP. Nintendo can make good( even [b]great[/b'] games) but fails to market an attractive system for them. Much unlike Sony, who has a great system and games for it. After all is said and done, the PSP is for me.[/color][/quote]
[img]http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/614/614464/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-20050516010031065.jpg[/img]

Sales numbers disagree with the conclusions you've drawn based upon the system's lack of multimedia capabilities and Nintendo's so-called failure to market an attractive system.

[b]As of December 25, 2005, they each stood at: [/b]

DS
software sold to date = 12.97M
hardware sold to date = 5.1M
tie ratio = 2.54
growth: 0.73 points (40%)

PSP
software sold to date = 4.75M
hardware sold to date = 2.57M
tie ratio = 1.85
growth: 0.05 points (2.8%)

[b]As of June 12, 2005, they each stood at:[/b]

DS
software sold to date = 3,967,430
hardware sold to date = 2,196,573
tie ratio = 1.81
growth = 0.43 points (31%)

PSP
software sold to date = 2,509,220
hardware sold to date = 1,390,270
tie ratio = 1.80
decline = 0.02 points (1%)

[b]As of the third week of January, they each stood at: [/b]

DS
software sold to date = 2.14
hardware sold to date = 1.55
tie ratio = 1.38

PSP
software sold to date = 1.275M
hardware sold to date = .70M
tie ratio = 1.82

Haha, the "Hold It" pic was timeless Charles.

My personal opinion is that I enjoy the DS a lot more than the PSP. I've never played a PSP, however, so perhaps I should do that at some time. It's hard to say...both systems have some good things going for them, and some bad. The DS has the stylus/ touch pad but lesser graphic capabilities, the PSP has greater graphic capabilities and doubles as other things - it can play movies, etc. The DS has some quirky titles - such as Phoenix Wright or Trauma Center: Under the Knife, and eventually the DS will have Pokemon - which I can't wait for. It all comes down to personal taste. Some would enjoy the PSP more, others not...and vice versa. One is not really greater than the other as far as I can see. Both have decent games, although I find the DS's game catalog to be better than the PSP's thus far as far as my tastes go.

Well I actually havre both of the systems, and I would have to say that both of them are almost equal.
first the nintendo ds has a touch screen, second the ds has much better games (my opinion), and third, most of the people in my school have a ds instead of a psp, and since there is game boy color, gba, and gamecube, a lot of sequels from those systems come for the ds, and the touch screen give the ds an very interesting gameplay.

now for the psp, first it has better graphics, second you can watch movies, third you can download files from the internet, I am not really very impressed about the analog stick beacuse its so small that its a little hard to use it, and to be honest grand theft outo for the psp SUCKS!, I got bored of it the first day I played it, the one for ps2 and xbox are million times better,

So if were to chose i'll go for the ds

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]An interesting topic.
I myself prefer the DS simply for the selection of games it has. It brings back many old favourites [revamped of course], as well as new games that no one thought would ever happen - some of them are crap, but hey you can't always get all the good stuff.
As for the PSP, as far as I know the games it has going for it are more along the lines of action and 'let's kill everything'. Just not a personal preference [hey, I may be 18 but at heart I'm still 6].
Not to mention that Squenix has decided to go back to Nintendo with the DS to re-release Final Fantasy III [the originally Japan-only release], Final Fantasy V and VI.
Playstation did have V and VI for a short time, and there was a tiny possibility of it being released for PSP, but according to this slip of paper I got advertising the games' Nintendo DS release sometime this year that I found in the box of FFIV: Advance that I bought last week, it is not to be.
Huzzah for the DS, I will finally be able to play all of the Final Fantasy games [FFIII is the only one I'm missing].
Slightly went off topic there, but it had to be said in defense of the DS against the PSP and any diehard FF fans who bought it instead of the DS - good on you for those who bought both.[/SIZE][/COLOR]