OtakuBoards

Kingdom Hearts 2

Rachael

[color=#4B0082]I think there's more wrong with most of the people reading the reviews than with the reviews themselves. They look at the score number and throw everything else out the window, using it to justify their argument that the game is either good or bad, when a lot of the time they've already made up their minds whether or not they're going to buy the game before any review is published. It all comes down to the petty argument of, "My opinion of a good game is right and yours is wrong."

On the other hand, the few intelligent and open-minded people reading the reviews look at the actual information given. You know, the actual review, and not only the opinionated score? (I know, this concept probably just blew some people's minds, but try to keep up.) They look at what the reviewers describe the game to be like and then decide whether or not they'd enjoy what's being described. Scores are a highly subjective thing, but unless a reviewer is flat out lying, the information given in a review will accurately depict whether or not the game aligns with your preferences.

That's why these arguments of, "This game deserves a higher/lower score because I liked it more/less," are completely pointless. Scores are subjective, and obviously the reviewer has a different opinion of the game; so what? As long as they didn't paint a false picture of what the game actually plays like there's no real problem. Saying a review is "unfair" or "unjust" just because you think your rating is more accurate is pretty egotistical, since someone else will no doubt consider your score to be just as inaccurate.[/color]

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry I wasn't here earlier to 'argue' on someone's opinion on the game. I was too busy playing it :)

In my opinion it is a little shorter between worlds but overall It is awesome.

I'm at the Timeless river level and all I can say is... wow

[size=1]Well, it is true that the overall gameplay in Kingdom Hearts wasn't as well made out as other games, but personally, I think what draws a lot of people to this game is in fact the story over the game. I think the game gives something for people to do while they are anticipating the plotline altogether.

So for people who are looking for more gameplay than storyline basis, I doubt the Kingdom Hearts games would be a good choice for them.

Right now, I am at the beginning of The Olympic Colliseium. I am inside the Cave and got to the save point.

I wonder how long it'll take to play the game? :animeswea [/size]

[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]

I understand the popularity of the original Kingdom Hearts, but even fans of the game would have to admit (at least in comparison to other titles) that the gameplay was mediocre. Yes, the cinemantics were nice and yes, the visuals and the tie-ins were well done. But the raw gameplay was certainly nothing incredible; it was a mixture of light RPG elements and semi-awkward platforming. That's really what it boils down to.
anything.[/font][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Red]Medicore? Arent you being a little harsh?I thoguht the gameplay was very well done. I had alot of fun with the gameplay. It was unique and origianl. You just got to give it time. Once you unlock the colisieum then things get alot cooler. Some of the boss fights are amazing. Yes the platforming did suck but the RPG elements were mixed in well with the combat. Yes I agree the gameplay was not revolutinary but it was fresh and unique.I will say that the gameplay is not on par with the story but its pretty damn good.

KH 2 is also an increbile game with dual wieldeing , and fusions added. My only complaint is the game is to easy. I havent gotten that far about 4 hours in. But im already loving the gameplay and the story.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Samurai Mix][COLOR=Red]Medicore? Arent you being a little harsh?I thoguht the gameplay was very well done. I had alot of fun with the gameplay. It was unique and origianl. You just got to give it time. Once you unlock the colisieum then things get alot cooler. Some of the boss fights are amazing. Yes the platforming did suck but the RPG elements were mixed in well with the combat. Yes I agree the gameplay was not revolutinary but it was fresh and unique.I will say that the gameplay is not on par with the story but its pretty damn good.

KH 2 is also an increbile game with dual wieldeing , and fusions added. My only complaint is the game is to easy. I havent gotten that far about 4 hours in. But im already loving the gameplay and the story.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I like how you completely ignore my posts that are a lot more harsh. The gameplay was lame, kid. Play other [better] games (i.e., Oblivion, Dragon Quest VIII, Nocturne, etc). You'll be enlightened.

The fact that you called the gameplay "unique" speaks volumes. From what I remember, the player was limited to heavy backtracking in extremely small, segmented worlds, collecting, sloppy platforming (due in part to a weak camera), and a combat system influenced by the 3D Zelda games. The fact that Kingdom Hearts was received as well as it was had nothing to do with unique, solid gameplay. Nope. It was released in 2002 when next generation gaming was fairly new. The high production values and use of top licenses gave the game a "gee-whiz" factor that allowed people to overlook or forgive the drawbacks in the gameplay. Now, in 2006, standards are a lot higher, which explains why the lingering flaws are more pronounced. Granted, most agree that Kingdom Hearts 2 is marketdly better than its predecessor, but in comparison to top-tier games it's nothing special.

[QUOTE=Charles]I like how you completely ignore my posts that are a lot more harsh. The gameplay was lame, kid. Play other [better] games (i.e., Oblivion, Dragon Quest VIII, Nocturne, etc). You'll be enlightened.

The fact that you called the gameplay "unique" speaks volumes. From what I remember, the player was limited to heavy backtracking in extremely small, segmented worlds, collecting, sloppy platforming (due in part to a weak camera), and a combat system influenced by the 3D Zelda games. The fact that Kingdom Hearts was received as well as it was had nothing to do with unique, solid gameplay. Nope. It was released in 2002 when next generation gaming was fairly new. The high production values and use of top licenses gave the game a "gee-whiz" factor that allowed people to overlook or forgive the drawbacks in the gameplay. Now, in 2006, standards are a lot higher, which explains why the lingering flaws are more pronounced. Granted, most agree that Kingdom Hearts 2 is marketdly better than its predecessor, but in comparison to top-tier games it's nothing special.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Red]Well I was planniing on commenting on your posts but James posted the most recent so I chose his.

I happen to own Oblivion , Nocutrne, and DQVIII. They are all great games. But they are nothing like KH. I just found the battle system like nothing I ever played. I love the combat system. Im not going to excuse the backtracking or platforming they were God awful. The camera is fine once you get used to it. But for some fights it can be a real pain.

I think KH is a top-tier game. the storyline is well done(with the exception of some really bad dialogue bits).It also has great music. Its just that no game out there like KH.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Samurai Mix][COLOR=Red]Well I was planniing on commenting on your posts but James posted the most recent so I chose his.

I happen to own Oblivion , Nocutrne, and DQVIII. They are all great games. But they are nothing like KH. I just found the battle system like nothing I ever played. I love the combat system. Im not going to excuse the backtracking or platforming they were God awful. The camera is fine once you get used to it. But for some fights it can be a real pain.

I think KH is a top-tier game. the storyline is well done(with the exception of some really bad dialogue bits).It also has great music. Its just that no game out there like KH.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Oh well okay that sounds reasonable enough. If that's your opinion then I respect it.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Indigo]Long argue here..

I agree with Samurai Mix that Kingdom Hearts 2 does have it's unique qualities. I mean sure Final Fantasy or even Dragon Quest could be better then KH 2 but like Samurai Mix said "I just found the battle system like nothing I ever played. I love the combat system. Im not going to excuse the backtracking or platforming they were God awful. The camera is fine once you get used to it. But for some fights it can be a real pain." And yeah I like Final Fantasy for it's cool story but i hate the battle system when it's like :-

Monster: My turn ! *Whack*
Tidus: My turn ! *Bash*

And then it keeps repeating itself. When I played KH 1 I was like "Wow,Square Enix finally made a game which is gonna get me even more addicted then FFX," KH1 and 2 were REALLY GOOD games. I mean who would have thought of putting almost all the famous disney shows together in 1 single game? You don't see that everyday..

Oh and i just wanted to speak my thoughts out, not to argue like mad ppl[/COLOR][/FONT] :D

[QUOTE=Samurai Mix][COLOR=Red]Medicore? Arent you being a little harsh?I thoguht the gameplay was very well done. I had alot of fun with the gameplay. It was unique and origianl. You just got to give it time. Once you unlock the colisieum then things get alot cooler. Some of the boss fights are amazing. Yes the platforming did suck but the RPG elements were mixed in well with the combat. Yes I agree the gameplay was not revolutinary but it was fresh and unique.I will say that the gameplay is not on par with the story but its pretty damn good.

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I don't think I'm really being very harsh, I mean...I think it's clear that Square Enix makes great RPGs, but whenever they stray from that formula they start to stumble. They simply aren't very good with level design or character movement/interaction in a platformer environment.

[i]However[/i], as I've said, I do believe that the tie-ins were done well and I think they handled the story and the cinematics with flair. In general I think the game is good - good, not great.

It's like Halo. I don't think anyone would argue that Halo is a [i]bad[/i] game, but it's largely derivative and it certainly isn't the best example of its genre. So it tends to be overrated. I would classify Kingdom Hearts in the same way. Yes, it's fun...and yes, it does a lot of things right. But it also contains lots of rough edges and it fumbles the ball on several fundamental elements - this keeps it from being in the same league as majorly influential titles.

But I have no problem with people liking the game. I just think that it's one of those games (like Halo), which tends to get overrated...often to the detriment of truly incredible games that tend to get overlooked.

And guys...it's fine to have a debate/discussion. That's what this place is for. It doesn't mean we're angry with each other. You guys have to lighten up a little sometimes. :catgirl: [/font]

[quote name='Samurai Mix]Yes we shall my good friend and once again I apoligize I should have read more of the previous posts.Now we have cleared that up I heard that Auron will [spoiler] be able to fight alongside you in the Hades stage is it true?[/spoiler'] If so that would be truly awesome.[/quote]

it is true but u can't [spoiler]control him but sora and auron have some awsome attacks together like they use the bushido lore from final fantas x as one of their co attacks[/spoiler]

Guest Stafal-chan
haha i've ben playin that game like non-stop but i dun wanna beat it to fast cuz i like things to last for a hwile so i'm chillin out for a little while ^_^ i'm at the Pirates of the Carribean Lvl haha i'm soo psyched i love POTC ^_^ yayCaptain Jack Sparrow fights alongside you...the worlds seem really short though like Mulan was just boom done. so was Beauty and the Beast. but otherwise i really like the game ^_^ drive modes soo cool ^_^...but [spoiler] i feel bad for Roxas in a way you know b/c he's gone now...^_^ when it all happen i was like aww poor Roxas..TT_TT[/spoiler] oh adn the skateboarding's really fun ^_^

Guest Stafal-chan
[quote name='Swedish Chef']I'm at the last boss at level 50 on proud mode but aint going after him.... Sephy is on my list[/quote]

What are u serious that's crazy...TT_TT ha and here i thought i was playin obsessivly...yet i'm only at the Pirates of the Carribean lvl...although i'm taking my time through the POTC Lvl...nyahah they did a really good job with Sparrow, Will and Barbossa ^_^ hahaha that and my friend wants to play that lvl a little too ^_^ hee hee i haven't even foudn Sephiroth yet....heyy how long have u had the game???

[quote name='Stafal-chan']What are u serious that's crazy...TT_TT ha and here i thought i was playin obsessivly...yet i'm only at the Pirates of the Carribean lvl...although i'm taking my time through the POTC Lvl...nyahah they did a really good job with Sparrow, Will and Barbossa ^_^ hahaha that and my friend wants to play that lvl a little too ^_^ hee hee i haven't even foudn Sephiroth yet....heyy how long have u had the game???[/quote]

Since last wednesday. I have 50 hours on it

Update: Selphy is hard on level 60.. going to level 100 to fight him

[size=1]Right now, in the game, I am about to revisit Twilight Town for the last time and enter [spoiler]The World That Never Was[/spoiler]!

I seriously want to glide, so I'll be needing to use final drive form plenty of times! >:[[/size]

[quote name='DNAngel360']well i finished mulan world and right now i am on the second part of beast's castle and i only have had the game for 6 days now that i think i am playing the game pretty fast :D[/quote]

Hmmm...My best friend just got the game yesterday afernoon, and he's at Beast's castle too. We were talking today....Kairi is alot hotter than she was in the first one! And Riku is like...bulk! Heh. I think Sora looks best...in Valor form, Master form and Final form. He's so darn cute in Lion form!... :animesmil

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I can't believe it actually happened to me, I didn't expect it to happen for quite some time but let me say I was quite suprised that it did happen. Well I was fighting in the Cerberus tournament and when I tried to switch modes I happened to switch into the [spoiler]Anti-form[/spoiler]. I read about it on all kinds of websites and such but when it actually happened to me I was like "OMFGLOLXDBBQQQWTF!!!!" Thats a really cool form.

Yet you all make me feel bad. I am where you are [spoiler] about to go back to twilight town and re visit all of the places again.[/spoiler] I didn't want to play the game through to fast. I wan't to be able to enjoy the ride...[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Yes...Anti form. All black Sora...Scary, but I think the Halloween form of him is even cooler and scarier. Sora and Xemnas have the same costume (almost) in final form, but Sora looks even cooler than that old guy. Sephiroth looks just as good in this game as he did in FF. (LOL, I'm the fashion critic) Will Tokyopop ever make a manga of KH2 as they did the first one? Maybe an anime will follow! :animesmil

[size=1]I was just in [spoiler]Anti-Form[/spoiler] earlier, and I noticed that Sora goes down on all fours. XD

Right now, I just got to the final world, [spoiler]The World That Never Was[/spoiler]. The part where [spoiler]Axel fought alongside with Sora, and then used all of his energy to vanquish the rest of the nobodies, only at the cost of his existance... Yeah, that made me sad. Then soon afterwards, the cutscene with Sora and Organization XIII member, aka Roxas, battle. [b]sakldjaslkdj![/b] Definatly caught my attention. I wonder what'll become of Roxas...?

And right now, I am assuming that after Roxas saw Sora in his pod, he went back to being an organization member? It is kind of vague on what happened to Roxas and all.[/spoiler]

I'll probably finish the game by tomorrow or Wednesday.

I cannot wait to see the rest![/size]

the game is pretty short and easier. that kinda sucks all the time spent and the first game was hard and the chain of memories was even harder i thought this game was gonna be hard but so far it is a breeze and i don't use valor form that much only when i am bord and feel like killing the heartless faster