OtakuBoards

high school dress code

Narakou

I wore a school uniform right up until I left high school, from being four in fact. Apart from one school I was at which had a (fairly plain) uniform, but you didn't have to wear it... My first high school was the worst, you HAD, to wear a skrit, and that included for PE. Despite the fact that it frequently gets VERY cold and VERY VERY WET around here... oh, and they had a yellow and navy stripped tie, which I loathed.

My second high school would let you wear pants, as long as they weren't flares (which no-one paid any attention to, nobody got in trouble over it either) The whole school had to wear a marron jumper/cardigan and tie, apart from year 11, who wore black jumpers and ties, (Probably so the teachers could spot the lower-school student who were sneaking out at lunch-time) But I really didn't mind that uniform...

I don't think uniforms are all that bad, aside from forcing girls to waers skrits (some of us just aren't comfortable displaying our legs, me especially)

I just don't like uniform/dress-code rules that don't let you dress warmly in winter...

[QUOTE=Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]The former band teacher at my school once made my friend remove a necklace shaped like a sword because she interpreted it as a mutilation of the cross.

[i]That[/i]'s unnecessary and uncalled for on the school's part, if you ask me. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]well that depends on that person's reiligious views and other sensitive stuff like that. at my school we arent allowed to have any jewelry that has studs in it or have any necklaces that have the spikes on it . basically my school makes those prohibited because they can be used as a form of "weapon". The whole sword being mistaken for a cross may be a little too drastic, but the issue of religion could be argued either way on that. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]The former band teacher at my school once made my friend remove a necklace shaped like a sword because she interpreted it as a mutilation of the cross.

[i]That[/i]'s unnecessary and uncalled for on the school's part, if you ask me. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]I agree that what that teacher did was a bit extreme, but I'm not too suprized that a teacher decided to make someone remove a sword shapeed pendant on the grounds that he/she felt it was a mulitilation of the cross. Hell, in the United States a pharmisist can refuse to refill your birth control perscription because the use of birthcontrol goes against the pharmasists religious beliefs. They can even refuse to prescribe birth control if you're single.

Now, I'll probably get beat up for this but, I don't think that having to wear uniforms is such a bad idea. It takes the attention off who has more money than who and you can concentrate better on your school work than if you're worried about how everyone is dressed. Or even worse, if you're gonna get your rearend handed to you because someone wants your Juicy Couture jeans.

Of course, that's just my opinion on the subject. I don't know what everyone else thinks.[/color]

[quote name='Sesshomarufan][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue']well that depends on that person's reiligious views and other sensitive stuff like that. at my school we arent allowed to have any jewelry that has studs in it or have any necklaces that have the spikes on it . basically my school makes those prohibited because they can be used as a form of "weapon". The whole sword being mistaken for a cross may be a little too drastic, but the issue of religion could be argued either way on that. [/COLOR][/quote]
[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]
The public school system is not supposed to reflect any specific religion's values, or those of its individual zealots.

Enough said.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Zeta']Besides, wearing the shirt inside out is better than having to wear a white shirt with DCV in bold Orange letters on it. DCV stands for Dress Code Violation. So I think you got it pretty easy. ;-)[/quote]

I wonder if you'd get in trouble for making a blatant imitation of that shirt and wearing it to school. You know, same letters but maybe a diferent font, or maybe a black shirt or maybe different colored letters but otherwise the same... you know, almost the same, but different enough to tell that it's obviously not the real thing...

I would /so/ do that.

I too think it's one of the most idiotic things ever done. They say that HS is to prepare you for real life, yet they don't treat you like it's real life. In real life you can wear whatever kinda **** you want to wear and whatnot so let it be. that is unless it's like half nude stuff you see at the beach, then that CAN be a bit distracting and such, but as far as sensorship, it's stupid. and WHAT THE HELL is with tucking in your shirt? I'll tuck in my shirt when yu can show me a person that has ben somehow horribly mangled as a result of not having their shirt tucked in.

~Jammy

[quote name='Jamvis']They say that HS is to prepare you for real life, yet they don't treat you like it's real life. In real life you can wear whatever kinda **** you want to wear and whatnot so let it be. [/quote][size=1]Who told you HS was to prepare you for real life? [i]Mine[/i] wasn't.

In any case, as has been mentioned previously in this thread, "real life" does require uniforms/appropriate dress.

Interestingly enough, [url=http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/09/09/wear.this.ap/index.html][b]a recent news article on dress codes[/b][/url] at school and in the workplace.[/size]

[QUOTE=Jamvis]I too think it's one of the most idiotic things ever done. They say that HS is to prepare you for real life, yet they don't treat you like it's real life. In real life you can wear whatever kinda **** you want to wear and whatnot so let it be. that is unless it's like half nude stuff you see at the beach, then that CAN be a bit distracting and such, but as far as sensorship, it's stupid. and WHAT THE HELL is with tucking in your shirt? I'll tuck in my shirt when yu can show me a person that has ben somehow horribly mangled as a result of not having their shirt tucked in.

~Jammy[/QUOTE]
Hahahahah show me a work place that you can dress however you want and not tuck in your shirt please. I mean a real work place too, not some hippy new age one.

High school really does prepare you for real life. The complete lack of common sense amongst bosses. The lazy people getting ahead because they are friends with the boss. It's all the same.

[QUOTE=Harry]Hahahahah show me a work place that you can dress however you want and not tuck in your shirt please. I mean a real work place too, not some hippy new age one.

High school really does prepare you for real life. The complete lack of common sense amongst bosses. The lazy people getting ahead because they are friends with the boss. It's all the same.[/QUOTE]

That's not what I was thinking of. Hell, I'll fuggin wear a uniform for a job, at least I'm getting PAID for that. A dress code in a High School... well first of all I'd think that you should be mature enough by then to be able to chose decent attire that still expresses yourself. I'm a realy relaxed person so I wear loose jeans and a hawaiian shirt to school every day :D it irritates some of my friends, but I can express myself however I want. Hell, I have a half Irish friend that rituallistically wears his kilt to school every 2 weeks or so. o.o;

[QUOTE=Jamvis]WHAT THE HELL is with tucking in your shirt? I'll tuck in my shirt when yu can show me a person that has ben somehow horribly mangled as a result of not having their shirt tucked in.
~Jammy[/QUOTE]

Hmm, let's see... Machine shop worker and lathe operator come to mind quickly, and it probably wouldn't hurt if you were working with heavy pesticides, either. So yeah. Although at least a lathe operator has a valid reason to not wear a tie, although things like bracelets or rings can be a bad idea, too.

[quote name='DiscoSnorlax']Hmm, let's see... Machine shop worker and lathe operator come to mind quickly, and it probably wouldn't hurt if you were working with heavy pesticides, either. So yeah. Although at least a lathe operator has a valid reason to not wear a tie, although things like bracelets or rings can be a bad idea, too.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]The mechanic that work on Humvees in the military come to mind as well, my husband can't wear his wedding band when he works on those things and he can take his BDU shirt off, but has to leave his t-shirt tucked in. Actually, that part is more like military regulation. You have to tuck your pants into your boots as well then tuck your laces into your boots so you don't trip. It also works for when you run.

But that's nothing, what about all those mill girls who were killed in the 1850's because their hair wasn't pinned up? One little slip and poof...off goes your scalp. Of course, those girls lost fingers and stuff even without the help of shirts. Just gotta love the industrial age...right.[/color]

[font=tahoma][size=1][color=hotpink]We have dress codes in our public school as well. But I don't find it any fault to have a dress code. Because some girls in our school constantly expose their chest and behind, which I find is more disturbing. It's not bad to have a dress code, since I don't wear things that are prohibited on the code.

So I'm fine with it, and people seem to dress more appropriate.[/color][/size][/font]