OtakuBoards

Punk Is Dead.....

TOTALIMMORTAL

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed] As much as I'd like to deny it and wish it wasn't true, what was once punk is now honestly dead. I consider myself "punk" but most people probably wouldn't deem me so because I don't exactly dress like all the other people who do think they are. I listen to Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, and of course, Punk. But this isn't about me. I think music keeps changing too much to stay popular with the times, and that's not what music should be about. And especially not Punk Rock. Punk Rock used to actually mean something back in the day, people either loved it or hated it. Now it's actually a [B]FREAKIN CLOTHING STYLE[/B]?!!! :flaming:

I hate that. Way too many kids these days wear a Misfits shirt or something and haven't even heard a single song by them. Punk is sure as hell not about popularity, but thanks to places like Hot Topic, everybody's got a freakin studded belt and a Ramones shirt. Hot Topic is the Anti-Christ to what actually used to mean something. As much as I love Punk Rock, I can honestly say that places like Hot Topic, and those stupid "pop" punk bands like Good Charlotte, have brought about the demise of punk. Bands these days just keep becoming less and less musically talented, and more and more sing-along. Does anybody feel the same way as me, that punk has become way too popular and means practically nothing anymore? I wish it weren't so, but Punk Rock is either Six Feet Under or somewhere close to it.....[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]There'll be good bands, bad bands, and the rare band that has any amount of soul.

If you could classify them as something specific, I don't think any band or person could be considered unique and original.

Underground bands become more mainstream over time if they're any good.

It just makes sense.

That's why everybody's wearing Emo glasses now. O_o"[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=TOTALIMMORTAL][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed] As much as I'd like to deny it and wish it wasn't true, what was once punk is now honestly dead. I consider myself "punk" but most people probably wouldn't deem me so because I don't exactly dress like all the other people who do think they are. I listen to Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, and of course, Punk. But this isn't about me. I think music keeps changing too much to stay popular with the times, and that's not what music should be about. And especially not Punk Rock. Punk Rock used to actually mean something back in the day, people either loved it or hated it. Now it's actually a [B]FREAKIN CLOTHING STYLE[/B]?!!! :flaming:

I hate that. Way too many kids these days wear a Misfits shirt or something and haven't even heard a single song by them. Punk is sure as hell not about popularity, but thanks to places like Hot Topic, everybody's got a freakin studded belt and a Ramones shirt. Hot Topic is the Anti-Christ to what actually used to mean something. As much as I love Punk Rock, I can honestly say that places like Hot Topic, and those stupid "pop" punk bands like Good Charlotte, have brought about the demise of punk. Bands these days just keep becoming less and less musically talented, and more and more sing-along. Does anybody feel the same way as me, that punk has become way too popular and means practically nothing anymore? I wish it weren't so, but Punk Rock is either Six Feet Under or somewhere close to it.....[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I totally agree with everything that you said, honestly I hate those gay bands like Avril lavigne, I mean my god Avril hates everyone but she likes Jessica Simpson -.- Bands like Avril,Good Charlotte ,etc..Are pop, their music isn't punk, it's pop. Now days I can't label myself punk,people would think of me as pop punk, it's a total disgrace.

[quote name='Maggot_Juice']I can't label myself punk,people would think of me as pop punk, it's a total disgrace.[/quote][size=1]My God, I know. It is SO ANNOYING. I mean, I used to totally love punk muisc, and it's all just completely degenerated. All the new bands are complete crap, and everyone thinks they're so "cool" for listening to them. HELLO?!?! It's not punk, you morons! Why does anyone even LISTEN to that stuff?

The people who call themselves "punk" now have never even heard any REAL punk music. It's pathetic. They don't like anything that isn't watered down and pop-y. And they call themselves punk?!

And you're so right. I can't label myself punk anymore, either. People would ask me what I was, and I'd tel them I was punk, and they were all like, "Oh, so you like Good Charlotte?' NO!!! :mad: :flaming: [/size]

[font=Garamond][size=2][color=seagreen]I know what you mean. The average American high school student has no idea what punk actually is. They think that, "Oh, they spike their hair, wear bracelets and black t-shirts. They must be punk." A pair of chucks used to mean something, but now every kid and their uncle has a pair. And what's worse is people who buy generic brand chucks and call them chucks, which automatically makes them "punk."[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]I absolutely cannot stand Good Charolette or Avril Lavigne. They are the complete opposite of what punk stands for. There are only two types of punk rockers out there:[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]1. The ones who want to make a change.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]2. The ones who don't give a s[spoiler]**[/spoiler]t.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]Of these two classifications, Avril Lavigne and Good Charolette fall into neither.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]Wow! Avril's cool because she sings about a prep going out with a "punk." Plus she can speak l337. Sk8r Boi!! Maybe if she...oh wait, no, she still sucks.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]Good Charolette "rocks" because they sing about stealing from the rich. Wouldn't that mean they'd have to rob themselves? [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]I wouldn't go as far as to say that punk is dead. It's just that there are so many poseur punks out there that people get confused, stereotypes arise, and HotTopic makes a lot of money.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]The same thing applies to "Anarchists." Everyone who has ever claimed to be an anarchist has downloaded and read (most of) the "Anarchy Cookbook," most likely the one completely plaigarized by a one, mr. JollyRoger. This, in their eyes, makes them an "Anarchist."[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]Anyway, I'll save the rest of that for when it's relevant. That's my thought and your bill comes to one penny.[/color][/size][/font]

I agree, Punk is a dying genre of music, There are too many bands that are trying to get labelled as punk but they aren't. The last good Punk band that came out of Australia lately was The Living End. You see, Good Charlotte and Avril just dress punk although they're not really it. My favourite genre of music is close to punk but it is known as Rap-Metal although some of the bands that are in this genre liike Papa Roach are punk.

[QUOTE=TOTALIMMORTAL][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed] As much as I'd like to deny it and wish it wasn't true, what was once punk is now honestly dead. I consider myself "punk" but most people probably wouldn't deem me so because I don't exactly dress like all the other people who do think they are. I listen to Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, and of course, Punk. But this isn't about me. I think music keeps changing too much to stay popular with the times, and that's not what music should be about. And especially not Punk Rock. Punk Rock used to actually mean something back in the day, people either loved it or hated it. Now it's actually a [B]FREAKIN CLOTHING STYLE[/B]?!!! :flaming:

I hate that. Way too many kids these days wear a Misfits shirt or something and haven't even heard a single song by them. Punk is sure as hell not about popularity, but thanks to places like Hot Topic, everybody's got a freakin studded belt and a Ramones shirt. Hot Topic is the Anti-Christ to what actually used to mean something. As much as I love Punk Rock, I can honestly say that places like Hot Topic, and those stupid "pop" punk bands like Good Charlotte, have brought about the demise of punk. Bands these days just keep becoming less and less musically talented, and more and more sing-along. Does anybody feel the same way as me, that punk has become way too popular and means practically nothing anymore? I wish it weren't so, but Punk Rock is either Six Feet Under or somewhere close to it.....[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I would have to agree with you on everything here, except that Hot Topic isnt a breeding grounds for people to go and get clothes to make them "pretend to be punk." hot Topic is just a place for people, like me, to go and get clothing that displays the bands they like. however, on the negative side of that, what you said is true. People, not like me, go there and get shirts and all that of bands they think they might like, or that their friends like, and wear them so they can "fit into the popular crowd." I know this for a fact because, hell, just about every kid in my school wears the same shirts advertising the same goddamned bands, which all suck, by the way.

Which brings me to another point of yours. It is true that so many bands these days are talent-deprived teens who think a few stupid phrases go together with a few simple riffs. Oh, is it also no coincidence that kids like these bands more than the ones with actual talent? Probably. A simple mind only needs simple music to entertain it. Another thing that is too bad... no one has enough creativity to produce music like that of the great Hendrix, the legendary Beatles, the famed Floyd... which is bad because now people who want good music are starting to become deprived of it.

Lastly, there are a few good bands out there that do still have some talent, like Evanescence, the Distillers, Linkin Park, Rancid, etc. etc.

And along with some other posts... Finally there are some people here who understand good music and see through Avril Lavigne and Good Charlotte. f**k, if those two groups would just.... s**t I dunno, actually make some decent music, which they already... havent, then the world would be a better place. I mean, cmon! Good Charlotte... the way the people in that band act and dress just pisses me off. They cant dress like real punks, cant sing like s**t, and dont know the difference between screwing a music style and screwing themselves.

I find it funny how you go and say punk rock is dead when really, it's still alive, only hard to find.
Ever heard of the germs? Adolescents? The Briefs? Riot 99? TSOL? Anti Nowhere league?
Like...god...open your eyes, and SEARCH for punk, rather than dismiss it as dead because you can't find any real punk. Punk has just become popular is all. Deal with it. There are thousands of people out their who agree with you, and I am one of them, but punk is not DEAD. Thats a very bold and FINAL statement.

As for goodcharlotte and those idiots, don't mind them, they're doing what they love...playing music. If anyone thinks they're punk, astleast you're their to correct them, and show them real bands...AKA Misfits.

i agree with you...though i consider myself to be more of a goth...i've even seen the big hurt in the goth culture...so many teens just give into the stereotypes and just beceom all popish and gross...and they don't even know...what it is all about...they just wake up one morning...decide to get a wardrobe of black...and say they're goth...and i understand with you and punk...because i have punk friends and they all hate it too. now me i have heard some songs from the misfits and i think they're awesome...sometimes..i wish hot topic never opened...and sometimes i do..because its hard for me to make my own clothes...and i like the pants...they're comfy...

ok and to reply to myself after i realized that i forgot to type a whole bunch more stuf..o.o...have u tried searching underground bands?and i mean like in your local area....i know its hard but there are a lot of underground bands that are AWESOME. like my boyfriend he is in an underground heavy metal band in texas and he is one of the singers, and they're awesome i love hearing his songs, but maybe instead of saying your punk..perhaps emo would work so the stupid people don't think you love the lil twits we all loath good charlotte and avril...k now i am done...o.o

[size=1][color=red]EDIT: Please do not double post. Edit your original post -- double posting is against our rules. - James[/color][/size]

[font=Garamond][size=2][color=seagreen]Please do not double post. Just edit your first post.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]I agree, ::Ex-Soldier::, punk is not dead. There are plenty of legit punk bands out there. Rancid, Anti-Flag, The Casualties. They're all good bands, but it's the crap ones that give all of them a bad name.[/color][/size][/font]

Mr. Maul, don't play mod. Just report the post, and someone will handle it.

I don't claim to know anything about Punk music. I've heard a little bit of The Ramones, but that's really about it. Anything else, I'm just not sure. I do know, however, that "punk" is supposed to be about rebellion. It's about going against the grain. As I understand it, punk was [i]supposed[/i] to be an alternative to the generic, pre-packaged mess we (the public) were fed during the late 90's and the turn of the century...

So why does Good Charlotte remind me of the Backstreet Boys with instruments? I heard "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous," and my head nearly [i]exploded[/i]. The song was just too [strike]moronic[/strike] [strike]ironic[/strike] moronic. It's like in their vein attempt to sound rebellious, they forgot who they were; rich, famous, and unnervingly trendy.

And then there's Avril Lavigne. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Alanis Morisette already use the "angst-ridden young female Canadian rocker" image? With the same musical sound? And do it better? Yet somehow Avril gets labeled the "Queen of Punk Rock" and MTV proceeds to kiss [i]her[/i] rear, like she's Eminem. It's a little sickening, really.

[color=#707875]I think that the media has largely boxed in Avril Lavigne. I see a lot of venomous stuff going her way, which I don't think is too fair. She's just a kid, making music. Good luck to her if she can make some money along the way, I say.

In regard to punk, I have to say that I'm a bit like Manic, in that I'm not a big punk music person.

But I do remember a while ago when, in a lecture, my tutor (who is a big punk fan) was talking all about the history of punk and what it meant.

I think that a [i]lot[/i] of propopnents of punk music in this thread probably don't have a clue about what so-called "true punk" is. Manic's definition is probably the closest to the truth that I've seen here, I think.

As a style of music, I think you could probably argue that punk has evolved. To say that current punk bands [i]aren't[/i] punk is possibly erroneous, because the whole concept of punk seems to be outdated and redundant today (especially because punk itself has become a kind of mainstream/commonly accepted genre). Once that transition occurs (as it did with rock 'n' roll and various other genres), you see a change on various levels -- in public attitudes and in the music itself. I'm sure you could probably define various newer bands as punk, regardless of whether or not they specifically fit a particular lifestyle that once existed. Maybe they don't all share that same philosophy, but perhaps we should leave room for the possibility that punk itself -- the philosophy and the music -- has evolved, because the environment that surrounds it today is very different from what it used to be.

I remember my tutor saying that punk was about opposition to the status quo and that while it opposed everything mainstream (including fashion as well as music), it also never provided its own solution or answer to that problem. So it was an opposition, or a destruction...without any end goal, other than to do something that was the polar opposite of what was acceptable (ie: "disgusting" fashion versus "beautiful" fashion).

Perhaps this is one reason why I was never really into punk as a genre. Again, I'm definitely not an expert on the subject, but I think that philosophically, it's not something I could be in line with, because I'm more interested in the end solution or the end change, rather than the process of opposition itself.[/color]

Punk isn't dead my friend......It's just ruined and discarded...

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]In Avril Lavigne's defense, I don't see any of you making millions of dollars off of selling music when you could just as easily sell your *** and boobs.

People like to screw themselves against popular music because they think it makes them different. I don't listen to her music, but I don't go out of my way to declare her unoriginal and an embarrassment to the music industry.

That's silly.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]Punk. I'm not a major fan, but i do listen to all 'Rock' music that comes my way. For i am a fan of the 'Rock' genres - Heavy Metal, Death Metal, German Metal Anthems (lmao) and some Punk.

But for one thing, Ska could never out-grew punk. Punk is still oved by many a nation, its just not realised as much. More likely its not just Punk thats dyening, its all of the genres.

Now the world is being taken over by a Base Beat, also called Rave (Dance) Music. That is what is coming into 'fashion' now. It is the only thing being listened to in my school, and is so pathetic i wish it would burn.

But Punk being a fashion......yeh thats so true, if you see my (without a kilt Steff) i usually wear a long sleeved shirt, black t-shirt underneath the shirt, 3/4 length jeans, and a pair of skate shoes. Pulling your white socks up high would help aswell.

This is a style used by a few 'punks'. But i don't define myself a punk by clothes i wear, i define myself as a Metal Head. Worshipping bands like Slayer, Maiden, Metallica, Priest, Sabbath, Iced Earth, Alice In Chains, theres so many of them.

Punk dyeing it is inevitable, like most in the 'Rock' genre it will die out as the morons decide to listen to a constant bass beat.[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Mr. Maul][font=Garamond][size=2][color=seagreen]Please do not double post. Just edit your first post.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]I agree, ::Ex-Soldier::, punk is not dead. There are plenty of legit punk bands out there. Rancid, Anti-Flag, The Casualties. They're all good bands, but it's the crap ones that give all of them a bad name.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57][/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
Finally! Yet another person out here who understands that bands, like Anti-Flag (one of my favorite bands all together), are still out there. Honestly, I dont really consider myself to be punk, but more goth, simply because I dont dress punk, but more "freestyle", and because I dont just listen to punk, but more of anything really. However, punk does make up about 25% of my music collection.

The rest of my music mostly is Electronica, metal, goth, deathrock... Bands like Evanescence, Metallica, Pantera, Lords of Acid, The Front, Marilyn Manson (^.^), etc etc. and a whole bunch of DJ's I doubt anyone here has heard of or even cares to hear about :P.

For those who are reading this post right now, and you are looking for some decent punk bands, I can name of few, of which I listen to. Anti-Flag, the Distillers, the Ramones, Rancid, and the Misfits to name the ones that come to mind.

[QUOTE]Now the world is being taken over by a Base Beat, also called Rave (Dance) Music. That is what is coming into 'fashion' now. It is the only thing being listened to in my school, and is so pathetic i wish it would burn.[/QUOTE]

OK, i can respect your opinion, but after reading this it kinda popped an "ALERT!" sign into my head. This is also what is annoying me. you see, more than half of the music I listen to is Electronica (aka Dance). Can I ask, Have you ever tried listening to Dance music? seriously. This may not be your case, but here is a scenario which pisses me off majorly: Ok, so I am sitting at school, headphones blaring, not really talking to anyone. Some of the more "popular" kids come up to me and ask what I am listening to. I hand them my headphones and they listen for a second or two. Handing my headphones back to me, they say, "That is awesome. What is it?"
I tell them that its dance music and then they say, "Dude, f**k, that s**t sucks. I cant believe you listen to that stupid s**t."

So that is why I am probably so annoyed when people come up and say that that music sucks, because most of the time, its just what your friends say that makes sense to you, and if they say that the music sucks, you want to fit in with them and agree, therefore producing a generalizes statement when you havent actually listened.

[QUOTE=Falkon]

OK, i can respect your opinion, but after reading this it kinda popped an "ALERT!" sign into my head. This is also what is annoying me. you see, more than half of the music I listen to is Electronica (aka Dance). Can I ask, Have you ever tried listening to Dance music? seriously. This may not be your case, but here is a scenario which pisses me off majorly: Ok, so I am sitting at school, headphones blaring, not really talking to anyone. Some of the more "popular" kids come up to me and ask what I am listening to. I hand them my headphones and they listen for a second or two. Handing my headphones back to me, they say, "That is awesome. What is it?"
I tell them that its dance music and then they say, "Dude, f**k, that s**t sucks. I cant believe you listen to that stupid s**t."

[/QUOTE]
[color=#707875]Absolutely. And there are too many people (particularly in America) who think that all electronic music is "techno" or "dance" or "rave". In actuality, there are dozens and dozens of different electronic-based genres, which will generally suit almost any taste.

Moreover, electronic music has had an enormous impact on just about every other form of music that exists today.

So, let's not start attacking other genres. The fact that [i]anyone[/i] would say stuff like that simply because of the name of the genre is incredibly stupid. Rather than having a completely small-minded and closed view about music, we should instead be open to experimentation, so that our own tastes can expand. I think this applies to the newer forms of punk, as much as it applies to any other genre that you'd care to name.[/color]

I totally agree with just about everybody has said here, so I think I should revise my statement. Punk is [U]dying[/U]. And very fast too. There still is a small amount of decent popular Punk bands out there, most of which have already been named. Rancid, Anti-Flag, Casualties, Distillers, Misfits are still barely hangin on, etc. But, as I'm sure you can all agree, bands like Good Charlotte or Avril Lavigne (two generic examples) can definitely be respected for the fact that they [B]are[/B] making music, but that's about it. It's that [B]THEY[/B] consider themselves punk and try and make money off of it that really makes me mad. One thing our culture needs to learn today is to [U]just be your self[/U]. If everyone followed that simple statement then just think how much better the music world, and real world, would be. With that said, I leave it at that. If everybody was just themselves then there would never be any posers or anything, just a bunch of people "[B]keepin it real[/B]." And one more thang, go out there and support your local underground punk band! They're the real warriors in the fight to keep Punk alive. Even if it's current death might be inevitable, I, and everyone else, should still enjoy it while it last, cause really, it never will be completely dead, thanks to some of the absolutely [B]AWESOME[/B] Punk bands we've had in the past.....

[color=gray][size=1]A very vague post coming up:
I'm not very punkish and didn't read the whole thread so correct me if I'm wrong or repeating, but I would say that not everyone who listens to punk is really a punk. I myself listen to loads of music and a few songs are punk and I'm certainly not a punk. When you're punk you dress youself as one, you try to think like one and you listen to their music. Oh mein wurst! You're a punk!
Ahem so anyways. Actually, in my eyes it makes no sense to call punk dead. The people that like punk will stay listening to it, Punk isn't the same for everyone. Some people may like the poppish stuff that Avril Lavigne and Goofy Charlotte make and call it punk, some people might find bands that complaint about politics, the world, especially America (I give them big right) better.
And if they hate the 'luuk @ mi bein a sk@r!!' theme about it, try doing something about it like making your own punk band and become like uber famous so that you can bring punk back up the hit charts. Want music to change? Do your best, I'm not stopping you.
Well but right now, most people I know more belong under the term Alternative. Without putting them in different boxes.

Don't worry, the strange post is over, I hardly get my own opinion. I have a whole bunch who don't all really support eachother >>;[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=::Ex-Soldier::]I find it funny how you go and say punk rock is dead when really, it's still alive, only hard to find.
Ever heard of the germs? Adolescents? The Briefs? Riot 99? TSOL? Anti Nowhere league?
Like...god...open your eyes, and SEARCH for punk, rather than dismiss it as dead because you can't find any real punk. Punk has just become popular is all. Deal with it. There are thousands of people out their who agree with you, and I am one of them, but punk is not DEAD. Thats a very bold and FINAL statement.

As for goodcharlotte and those idiots, don't mind them, they're doing what they love...playing music. If anyone thinks they're punk, astleast you're their to correct them, and show them real bands...AKA Misfits.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Punk music is probably way better off now since the pop-punk is mainstream. Its cheesy and generic, and popular and argueably not even punk music at all. Punk music is alive with indie bands and local music scenes, which makes more sense anyway. Everyone agree's that its not all about band T-shirts, so "punk" music can now make a return to being a scene based more on live shows, crappy demo tapes and vinyls. Only major record label punk is dead, and thank god for that.

Guest lavalamp
[QUOTE=Siren]Today's Revolutionaries become tomorrow's Conservatives.

Start a Revolution, then, and start blasting Beach Boys.[/QUOTE]

You're my hero. Let's elope.

I'm totally not into musical elitism. What "real punk" is to one person may be "real ****" to another. There's no such thing as a "real" genre of music because of how subjective interpreting what you listen to is.

I always felt Spice Girls were death metal. Who are you to disagree?