OtakuBoards

Punk Is Dead.....

TOTALIMMORTAL

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Punk is dead. Long live Classic Rock :D

Seriously, Punk is just a bunch of angry people yelling about how much they hate the establishment and never doing anything about it. As much you people like to think that you're rebels, you're not. Punk exists to sell CDs. Nothing more, nothing less. The artists write music and sell it because they want money, not so you can overthrow the government or what ever it is the advocate. Stop crying about how "punk is dead" and go listen to some real music. Maybe something has a melody, or an actual tune instead of jarring guitar chords.

[quote name='lava lamp']You're my hero. Let's elope.[/quote]
Uh...okay. Alan is the Minister, though.

Just figured I'd inject some more sanity into this thread. I was at a local mall earlier tonight--er, yesterday evening. Melissa and I had to pick up her younger sister, Ally, and a few of her friends. I'd not been to a mall in a few months, and now I remember why...because I'd be laughing too hard to do anything.

This "epidemic" of mass-marketed "punk" is not the end of the world. It's not even a threat to the social order. It's parody. It's unwitting self-mockery. That's all it is. I look at these people, dressed in pants that are five sizes too big for them, with chains, boots, knee socks, spiked hair, etc, and I laugh. I chuckle.

How is it offensive? Okay, I don't worship the "punk" movement. I don't treat it as gospel. But I don't treat it as gospel because it's merely a reaction to a previous musical movement, and the reaction to "underground punk" is the mass-marketed punk. It's a simple cycle, nothing more. In a few years, we'll see a reaction to this current trend. It's the way things work.

I really don't view the mass-marketed punk scene as having any substantial worth or value, and I don't think it's worth getting this worked-up over, quite honestly. They're not a threat to anyone's way of life. They're merely a threat to their own lives. Let's at least see the humor in that and have ourselves a laugh.

I believe an artist is by who they are. So what their music is a little pop-y oh, whoops the media twists words. I think it's wrong to judge celebrities, I mean do you know them personally? No, so, hey if you like their sound. Listen, don't go flaming things. I personally am indifferent to people like Avirl Lavinge and Good Charlotte. I mean hey, they've worked damn hard to get that far, and good for them if they can make some money.

Now, on this punk issue. You people say not to classify people, so what classify anything? Easy because you have to be organised, and by organising yer fitting into a group. By being different you are but the same. Punk isn't really a dieing class, it's simply hidden under everything else, and if people would quit bitching about how it was dead they'd relise there's still good new bands out. People take a glance and get hitched on something they don't like and think this makes what they like dead, so I say. Live and let be, they're just people trying to get by just like us.

I don't listen to punk (as I said earlier), so the fact that Good Charlotte and Avril Lavigne call themselves punk doesn't bother me. What upsets me is how Good Charlotte tries to sound rebellious, but fail in my eyes. And Avril is doing something that's already been done before (and it was done better), but she's getting my praise for it. I mean, yeah, I liked "Complicated," but it really feels like they're all trying too hard to say they're not trendy, when they know that's exactly what they are.

Not two years ago, everybody was listening to rap. You had people who'd never listened to hip-hop before in their lives praising Eminem. Rap was around [i]long[/i] before Eminem was. I liked the guy, but that got really annoying.
Five years ago, it was boybands. It was all about NSync and BSB. The moment each group cited Boys II Men as an influence, B2M's career immediately plummited, and their careers soared. This also bothered me.

But they were each trends, and they wore off when each target demographic graduated either high school, or junior high. Even Christina Aguilera was smart enough to know another "Genie In The Bottle" wasn't going to make any sales, so she made "Dirrty" in an attempt to separate herself from that trend.

If you miss the old days of punk, just hold out a little longer. This whole trend is gonna die out in the next year or so.

Er... I cant find the post I was going to quote but Oh well. What I was going to say is: Most bands these days (not all, but a lot of the popular stuff), the artists are making music for the money, so they can sit back, enjoy their "perfect life" and have girls all over them. Were ratting a lot on Good Charlotte and Avril Lavigne, so lets change artists. Brittney spears, 50 Cent, hmm... I am so not in the pop music world... who else does a lot of pop music? Anyway, people like them do music, like I said, for money. They dont do it because they like the music, per se! They go out, see that X Band is a hit, so they style their own music on that, because X Band is getting a lot of money, so they will.

That is pretty much what is happening any more. Bands basing themselves on other bands. NO ONE FEELS PASSION ABOUT THE MUSIC THEY PLAY ANYMORE! THAT is why a lot of interesting music is dissapearing and you can listen to like 4 bands that sound the EXACT same when they say they made up their own music.

On another note, I was watching Warped Tour Reunion '04 last night at my friends house, and Good Charlotte came on. You could see in their eyes that they weren't passionate about the music, but wanting to perform for money.

You could also see that they werent singiong, but "syncing."

Even I admit that the DJ's I listen to most of the time are starting to copy others work, and new DJ's are starting to copy others work. The world is getting flattened.

[font=Garamond][color=seagreen]What really kills me are the people who, get this, [i]try[/i] to be punk. As has been stated numerous times before, especially by TOTALIMMORTAL, punk is turning into a fashion style. This is what it is [i][u]not[/u][/i]. The reason punks dress "punk" is beacause they just wear what they have available. They don't go out buying clothes thinking, "Hmm...This is [i]sooo[/i] punk. I think I'll buy it." Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. If you want to buy "Punk" clothes, don't go to HotTopic, try Goodwill instead. Most punks grew up in the "slums" or in poor, broken families. You can see this in their music. Probably about 85% of all actual punk artists came from the poor sections of cities. You've got three major punk breeding grounds: The east coast (NYC, Boston), Chicago, and L.A.[/color][/font]

[font=Garamond][color=#2e8b57]Punk music is all politics. That and youth angst. Not depressing, gothic angst, but "let's do someting about it (usually rebel)" angst.. This angst, however, is usually somehow tied in with the politics. They're not it it for the money, but to get a message out.. So, if the music that you listen to and consider "punk" doesn't fall into any or all of these categories, then it most likely isn't punk.. It's probabley something along the lines of poseur punk, or pop punk..[/color][/font]
[font=Garamond][color=#2e8b57][/color][/font]
[font=Garamond][color=#2e8b57]The song "1985" is an example of poseur pop punk, which is twice as bad as either one. I absolutely hate this song with a fiery passion. So many people think that it's punk, but guess what? ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE WRONG!!! *thinks about song and shudders* *again* *and again*[/color][/font]
[font=Garamond][color=#2e8b57]One final rant (for now). Something that makes me want to go on an uncontrolable slapping spree is when a (prep) girl likes a (punk) guy, so the (prep) girl buys a bunch of ("punk") clothes, and tries to win the (punk) guy over. This happens SO MUCH at my school, and it's driving me CRAZY! What's even worse is when the (punk) guy falls for it. Oh, and don't think I'm being sexist or anything, but I have never seen it happen the other way around. I'm pretty certain that a (prep) guy would be scared of a (punk) girl. I think that proves something about preps.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Mr. Maul']One final rant (for now). Something that makes me want to go on an uncontrolable slapping spree is when a (prep) girl likes a (punk) guy, so the (prep) girl buys a bunch of ("punk") clothes, and tries to win the (punk) guy over. This happens SO MUCH at my school, and it's driving me CRAZY! What's even worse is when the (punk) guy falls for it. Oh, and don't think I'm being sexist or anything, but I have never seen it happen the other way around. I'm pretty certain that a (prep) guy would be scared of a (punk) girl. I think that proves something about preps.[/quote][size=1]You know, I can't think of [i]one[/i] coherent thing to say to that. The closest I can get is something like: kids are dating outside their clothing style now? Talk about great strides in equality and acceptance!, but that doesn't do my reaction justice.

Okay, in all seriousness, I'm having a really hard time relating to anything that's been said in this thread. The best I can come up with is an odd sort of parallel to, say, books I like.

I've been a big fan of [i]Lord of the Rings[/i] for many years. Eight, nine years; about half my life. Which makes me a nerd who started reading the books when I was eight, but whatever.

Now a few years ago, the movies started coming out, and suddently "LOTR" was the biggest thing since...*dramatic pause*...[/i]Harry Potter.[/i] Countless people who had never read the books were declaring themselves eternal fans of the, um, franchise. You had fangirls galore proclaiming their undying love/lust for Legolas and his sexy elf spandex. (Incidently, Movie Legolas and Book Legolas are [i]quite[/i] different.) You've got folders, movie posters, clothing, [i]action figures[/i] based off the movie. >:-0

So what do I, a [i]real[/i] fan, do?

Well, I could be pissed off and talk about how much I hate all the wannabe LOTR fans. How can they possibly claim to be a fan when they've never even [i]touched[/i] the books?! They're making people think [i]all[/i] Tolkien fans are obsessed over cryptic, spandex-wearing elves!

Or I could look at the situation and say, well hey--who cares? If they like something, that's awesome for them. I may or may not like it, and I may or may not think that liking the movie constitues being a "real" fan, but who am I to judge what other people like?

So they say they're LOTR fans. And it may not be the first thing I think of when the term "Lord of the Rings" comes to mind, and I might not consider the movies to be "real" Lord of the Rings material, maintaining that to really appreciate the series, you have to read the books.

But if they're genuinely fans of the movies, that's great. And I might not consider the movies "real" Lord of the Rings, but, by definition, they're still Lord of the Rings.

[quote name='Charles']I'm not a fan of the books; I've never touched them. But, I have been a devout fan of the films. Because I've not been spoiled by reading the material the movies were based on, one could argue that I can't appreciate it to its fullest. But, I beg to differ. There was nothing to influence my opinion of the trilogy in a film format. I was experiencing the magic for the first time. Y'know?[/quote]Fan of the movie, not the book. So what? he can still call himself a fan of Lord of the Rings.
-----

So what's up with things here? The genre of "punk" now includes songs you don't really feel fit the category. Well, so what? tell you what--I know [i]nothing[/i] about music. I think [i]Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous[/i] is a catchy song, and I love singing it. The first time I heard [i]1985[/i], I had to write down some of the phrases so I would be able to remember the song later--I wanted to make suure I'd be able to listen to it again, because I liked it on first hearing. I like pop-punk, soft-punk, [i]however[/i] you want to differentiate it, far more than I'll ever like "real" punk. What's that make me?[/size]

Guest lavalamp
[quote name='Lore][size=1']What's that make me?[/size][/quote]

Honest and over the immature need to make yourself feel superior to others in something insignificant like a genre of music to compensate for an inability to point out anything important you're really [i]different[/i] for.

[COLOR=Red]k well this is how i interpret what your attempting to say. you're mad because rather than just being herself to try to win the punk guys heart the girl is trying to be what she's not. would you be less mad if she just stayed herself? i mean i have a jock guy friend who is dating my other friend who's i guess a lil goth girl like me....and he just stayed his...jockish self...anmd he's not a jerk...he's actually nice...i threw a kid over my head the other day.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Mr. Maul][font=Garamond][color=seagreen]What really kills me are the people who, get this, [i]try[/i] to be punk. As has been stated numerous times before, especially by TOTALIMMORTAL, punk is turning into a fashion style. This is what it is [i][u]not[/u][/i]. The reason punks dress "punk" is beacause they just wear what they have available. They don't go out buying clothes thinking, "Hmm...This is [i]sooo[/i] punk. I think I'll buy it." Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. If you want to buy "Punk" clothes, don't go to HotTopic, try Goodwill instead. Most punks grew up in the "slums" or in poor, broken families. You can see this in their music. Probably about 85% of all actual punk artists came from the poor sections of cities. You've got three major punk breeding grounds: The east coast (NYC, Boston), Chicago, and L.A.[/color][/font]

[font=Garamond][color=#2e8b57]Punk music is all politics. That and youth angst. Not depressing, gothic angst, but "let's do someting about it (usually rebel)" angst.. This angst, however, is usually somehow tied in with the politics. They're not it it for the money, but to get a message out.. So, if the music that you listen to and consider "punk" doesn't fall into any or all of these categories, then it most likely isn't punk.. It's probabley something along the lines of poseur punk, or pop punk..[/color][/font]
[font=Garamond][color=#2e8b57]The song "1985" is an example of poseur pop punk, which is twice as bad as either one. I absolutely hate this song with a fiery passion. So many people think that it's punk, but guess what? ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE WRONG!!! *thinks about song and shudders* *again* *and again*[/color][/font]
[font=Garamond][color=#2e8b57]One final rant (for now). Something that makes me want to go on an uncontrolable slapping spree is when a (prep) girl likes a (punk) guy, so the (prep) girl buys a bunch of ("punk") clothes, and tries to win the (punk) guy over. This happens SO MUCH at my school, and it's driving me CRAZY! What's even worse is when the (punk) guy falls for it. Oh, and don't think I'm being sexist or anything, but I have never seen it happen the other way around. I'm pretty certain that a (prep) guy would be scared of a (punk) girl. I think that proves something about preps.[/color][/font]
[font=Garamond][color=#2e8b57][/color][/font][/QUOTE]

[size=1]No offence intended...but some of you sound like try-hards. To be honest.

I like lots of bands. From rock, metal, rap, techno, pop.

You declare yourself punk. You hate Avril Lavigne. If everyone hates Avril...well, it's lame.

She doesn't make that bad music. Neither does Brittney Spears. [Well, it depends on the song...]

So, stop being try hards. I can understand not liking some songs, but out-ofhand dismissals are weak and pathetic. Base your judgement on each individual song. Or keep your mouth shut.[/size]

[QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]No offence intended...but some of you sound like try-hards. To be honest.

I like lots of bands. From rock, metal, rap, techno, pop.

You declare yourself punk. You hate Avril Lavigne. If everyone hates Avril...well, it's lame.

She doesn't make that bad music. Neither does Brittney Spears. [Well, it depends on the song...]

So, stop being try hards. I can understand not liking some songs, but out-ofhand dismissals are weak and pathetic. Base your judgement on each individual song. Or keep your mouth shut.[/size][/QUOTE]

Wow, the first sign of sanity I've seen...

This reminds me of my class, actually. My friends went through a phase where they said that classic rock (a.k.a. 80's) was the only good stuff and nu-metal sucked. Well, I liked nu-metal (and I still do!) but I didn't want to make waves, so I decided to try 80's stuff. There was some songs I liked, some I didn't. My friends just couldn't understand how I could like Motley Crue but hate Van Halen. It's dumb.

I like what I like, and don?t like what I don?t like. It?s that simple. I'm not ashamed to say that I like some of Good Charlotte's stuff (not "lifestyles..." though- It's too overplayed) and I love Metallica, and Seether, and Led Zeppelin, and the Ramones, and Alanis Morrisete and...Need I go on?

By categorizing yourself, you're going to miss out on a lot of good stuff.

Oh, and if Punk is all about being yourself or something, why do you have to group yourself in with everyone else? If someone asks if me if I'm a prep/punk/goth, I don't even give them the time of day. I?m just me. I?m too unusual to be labeled. ;)

Like Baron said, "Base your judgement on each individual song." Or person, for that matter.

Oh, and punk?s not dead, it?s just evolved. (or devolved, depending on how you want to look at it.) Music style can?t stay the same forever, or you be saying ?punk is boring? instead of dead.

[color=darkviolet]Okay in all fairness I skipped to the last page

I listen to pretty much anything Country, german death metal reggae, punk, classic rock, that strange stuff they call pop (yes I like Christina Aguleria and Michelle Branch you may now throw pudding at me!) pretty much anything.

I started listening to Good Charlotte and New Found Glory before their music started playing on the radio. Actually I can remember the first song I heard by New Found Glory that I heard on the Radio: So Sorry So from their self titled album.

Their new stuff isn't too bad and I'm glad taht they're getting recognized for playing music, but I caught New Found Glory on MTv last month when they were playing a short concert and all I heard were songs from Sticks and Stones and Catalyst. I wish they had decided to play some of their older music. Aw well I still like them.

I have to agree with Baron how can you declare yourself an individual when you go along with a crowd and like or dislike what everyone else does? Isn't that somewhat self defeating to your individualaity loving clique? If it is, don't worry in another few years you'll hit your 20's and everyone will care moer about your resume than your cd book.[/color]

• 2 months later...
[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]
I have to agree with Baron how can you declare yourself an individual when you go along with a crowd and like or dislike what everyone else does? Isn't that somewhat self defeating to your individualaity loving clique? If it is, [B]don't worry in another few years you'll hit your 20's and everyone will care moer about your resume than your cd book[/B].[/color][/QUOTE]

That is pure genius.

Anyway, like some people have said, don't worry about your "classification". Hell, in high school, you'll get made fun of for whatever type of person you are.

Punk rock is good. Some punk rock songs are bad. I like the Germs and Green Day. I like Dead Kennedys and AFI. Leave people anlone, let them like what they want. Telling them their a posuer is'nt gonna change anything.

P.S. Why don't you people like the Beatles?! Their in a genre by themselves! :)

I know its sad but quit mopin, the real punk has been gone for almoast 20 years. by the mid 80s everything was turning into pop and the ninetys totally did it in not to mention the death waves of the past 4 years. Thare are still good bands classified as punk, it's not the original punk but things change with time. It cant be the same in 2004 as it was back in the 70's. it just does'nt work like that, plus there are now different classifications of punk you've got your more traditional punk, your grunge punk and even your cutsey punk as in hello kitty. Thats just the way it is it can never be like the golden age of punk agin it's some thing different but that does'nt meen it's bad. And i personaly like most punk bands of today what does every one have against Avril she does her own thing and i like that about her. The best is green day and no one can change my mind. by the way i happen to like hot topic thank you vary muchthats where i do all my shopping and i personaly don't like the acusation that every one who shops at hot topic is just a pouser who does'nt know any of the bands and their music, i'm not like that and neither are my friends, i actualy don't buy that much punk stuff, i doo have a green day shirt but i'm more into tight jeans and bands like Franz Ferdinand wich i don't think would be considerd punk any way i'm getting off subject. The point is punk is what it is now and it won't be what it was so either embrace it or look for a new look.

Why does this matter? I don't care if a band is "punk" or "pop" or anything else. If they are good, then I buy their cd. I don't see the issue. It doesn't matter who makes your food, as long as you like it. So why does it matter who makes your music, as long as it sounds good?

[quote name='Morpheus']Why does this matter? I don't care if a band is "punk" or "pop" or anything else. If they are good, then I buy their cd. I don't see the issue. It doesn't matter who makes your food, as long as you like it. So why does it matter who makes your music, as long as it sounds good?[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I have to agree with that. My CD case is a mixture of genres and has been since high school. I have everything from Reba McIntyre to Bella Fleck and the Flecktones to Good Charlotte to Michelle Branch...and some that I'm not quite sure of because I haven't looked through the big cd case in a while.

I'm not quite sure what else to say about music choices and how straying from what the rest of your group does can help you in the long run...uh...yeah...and I listen to happy punk music. :D [/color]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]I have to agree with that. My CD case is a mixture of genres and has been since high school. I have everything from Reba McIntyre to Bella Fleck and the Flecktones to Good Charlotte to Michelle Branch...and some that I'm not quite sure of because I haven't looked through the big cd case in a while.

I'm not quite sure what else to say about music choices and how straying from what the rest of your group does can help you in the long run...uh...yeah...and I listen to happy punk music. :D [/color][/QUOTE]
Yeah...Lately I have got avril, Good charlotte, matchbox twenty, Simple plan, and Black eyed peas on my mp3. The only thing That's out right now that I can't stand is JoJo. :blowup:

Same here, my music listening tastes defy genre. I like songs because I like them, not because htey're what my friends listen to, or what people think I should be into, such as....

"Barbie Girl" by Aqua? [b]WHAAT? [/b]sure, but the only reason I liked it was it was more a satirical look at the "manufactured pop" machine than anything. At least that's what I got out of the song. The lawsuit by Mattel just added to it's impact, lol.

That's one example anyway.

I'm going to admit that reading through this thread changed my mind about punk music. Not long ago I was the whole ,"Avril and Charlotte suck, dude, let's go down to Hot Topic, listen to some metal and headbang!". :D

It's nice to see people not labeling themselves. In my small, sheltered Catholic school (I'm in the 8th grade), there are about 4 or 5 people who truly like the whole punk scene. So we are now labeled as "satanist, rebel, goth freaks". And we are promptly feared.

But it's fun in a way I guess...... :rolleyes: . Sure I am mostly a metalhead, but I was ashamed of my secret...... I am a JPop lover :D . So reading this has helped me to accept all different kinds of music without being labeled.

[QUOTE=TOTALIMMORTAL][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed] I think music keeps changing too much to stay popular with the times, and that's not what music should be about. And especially not Punk Rock. Punk Rock used to actually mean something back in the day, people either loved it or hated it. Now it's actually a [B]FREAKIN CLOTHING STYLE[/B]?!!! :flaming:

I hate that. Way too many kids these days wear a Misfits shirt or something and haven't even heard a single song by them. Punk is sure as hell not about popularity, but thanks to places like Hot Topic, everybody's got a freakin studded belt and a Ramones shirt. Hot Topic is the Anti-Christ to what actually used to mean something. As much as I love Punk Rock, I can honestly say that places like Hot Topic, and those stupid "pop" punk bands like Good Charlotte, have brought about the demise of punk. Bands these days just keep becoming less and less musically talented, and more and more sing-along. Does anybody feel the same way as me, that punk has become way too popular and means practically nothing anymore? I wish it weren't so, but Punk Rock is either Six Feet Under or somewhere close to it.....[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I believe a lot of the same things. Hot Topic IS a cool store, but unfortunately, it's also a way to draw in the posers...-- It's real ******* sad, it really is.

[quote name='LPpunkrocka']I believe a lot of the same things. Hot Topic IS a cool store, but unfortunately, it's also a way to draw in the posers...-- It's real ******* sad, it really is.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Actually, I like to shop at Hot Topic, that's where I get my Happy Bunny shirts and the Emily the Strange shirts and my t-shirts with strange sayings like the fact that the world does in fact revolve around me. I don't shop there because I think it's cool, I'm 23 years old and I hope that by now I've out grown that . Besides, I also shop at Old Navy, Payless, Coach, Pac Sun, Gap and American Eagle when I go to the mall. And the anchor stores (ie JC Penny, Lord and Taylor, Sears ect).

I think for people who never had lables in high school it's a lot harder to understand why everyone wants to lable themselves now. Yeah, I like Good Charlotte and New Found Glory, I also like Fleetwood Mac, Dixie Chicks and some songs from Rush. I enjoy Flogging Molly and Tim McGraw too. So what would that make me?[/color]