OtakuBoards

Punk Is Dead.....

TOTALIMMORTAL

I should have popped back into this thread a long time ago. All of you people are doing something that really irks me .... labeling music and pigeon hoeling yourselfs into your chosen genre.

[B]STOP ![/B]

Listen to music because you like it, stop worrying about how it's classified. My collection goes from blues to alternative, punk to industrial. And I love it all, not caring if anyone else approves of my choices because after all music is art and as such it is subjective to all our individual tastes. Because I don't like someting doesn't make it bad it simply means I don't like it. And the same holds true for all of you.
Finally ... everyone please stop refering to "POP" as a genre. Look at the history of pop music and you will see a constantly changing style. Why? Because pop isn't a genre it simply means that a particular style of music has become popular (notice how pop is part of the word popular). Right now punk is pop because the masses like it, the downside to this is that the talent pool becomes diluted and you start getting a lesser quality product than what original fans of the genre were used to. Given time punk will fall out of favour and the quality will return and some other genre will face the curse of poor quality it faces now when say ... Disco becomes pop again (aren't we all looking forward to that day ... lol)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DarkRed]^ What your talking about is true, but seems to be completely different from what anyone is saying (well most people anyway). Sure people say something sucks just because they dont like it, and i agree that the deffinition of "pop" is overused, incorrectly, and i also listen to a HUGE rang of different music.

However none of that is necessarily dealing with this thread. What this is about is the fact the original conception of "punk" is infact dead. The ideals, the sound, everything that started the genre as what it is, is no more. That doesn't mean that it's bad, it just means that it has changed. I don't classify music, and defend it to the death, it is what it is. Either way, this has nothing to do with genres, or an argument over that.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Generic NPC #3]If one takes this route, then I don't understand why people don't get equally upset about rock music. Rock was just as counterculture as punk was, if not more so since there was even more to go against earlier in the century. Yet, despite only being in existance maybe 25 years prior to punk, I don't know of anyone that gets upset to the core of their being with some soft rock group that sings about love makes it somewhere. I don't see why this should be any more accepted, but it is.

To me it just makes the whole concept somewhat ridiculous. If one is not willing to find what else is out there, then anything can be "dead" to someone. The recent punk "revival" isn't something I think was meant to revive the "dead", but was more of a need to get away from the sounds that were typical in the 80s and 90s that replaced punk as a major movement. Punk, obviously had to grow up in many senses and I do agree with the idea that other politics have overwritten the idea of pure anarchy, but anarchy never works to begin with. I think it's just gotten smarter lol.

Punk died down, it never died.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]There is a lot of truth to that last statement, however, concerning why punk is more singled out as having died than most other rock, is that the ideals were different. As you said it was true that rock was just as much a rebelion against culture, but that was it. Punk was against the culture, against the government, against just about everything, which is much much more than rock. Other than that, the fans of punk were just as "hateful" towards the "system" that the ideals stuck, and were defended more to the point, for a longer time. Although by now, even here, we seem to be flogging a dead horse (pun damn well intened).

Of course if we take this all the way back to the first post, this was created due to people wearing a shirt, when they dont really believe in that. This i find to be stupid to do, no matter what the conflict is about. If that is the case, this really has nothing to do punk at all, but all forms of "posing." I simply dont like it, and avoid it as best as i can. For example, my favorite band of all time, is without a doubt, Pink Floyd. However, ther are [I]TONS[/I] of kids (at my school anyway) who have Floyd shirts, a few of which are worthy i'm sure, but many of which probably only heard Dark Side of the Moon, and went and got a shirt. For this reason, despite my love for the band (much more than one album, i might add), i dont have a Floyd shirt, nor do i intend to get one. I just dont want to be labeld as a "poser" as stupid as the concept is in the first place. Much like the original poster said, i dont at all look "punk" but i'm probably more "punk" than most people.

[B]*Note:[/B] i use quotations quite a lot. This is because i find that labeling in the first place is simply a stupid concept. Nothing more to say there...[/COLOR]

[quote name='boxybrown305][COLOR=DarkRed'] For example, my favorite band of all time, is without a doubt, Pink Floyd. However ......[/COLOR][/quote]

Sorry this will stray off topic but I have to ask for a fav song? I literally wore out "Dark Side of the Moon" (yes I had it in vinyl and for all of you post record children unlike CDs vinyl will wear out from repeated use) but I go a little more obscure with a fav song in it being "Dogs of War"

Good point made about the topic kind of straying here, you're right it was about the death of punk which originally had nothing to do with music, it was a counterculture movement. From that perspective I'll have to agree with "Generic NPC #3". Punk isn't dead, it's just not as in our face as it used to be.

[COLOR=DarkRed]A bit off topic, my two favorite Floyd songs are Time and Money, which obviously doesn't help you at all. :p Another very good song is Echos, from their album Meddle. My favorite album from them, is Wish You Were Here. You [B]must[/B] hear it, i love the whole thing from beginning to end. All i have of FLoyd on vinyl is The Wall, which is ok. I want to collect some more Floyd vinyls, like some picture discs, or something.[/COLOR]

i am a punk fan and to assure you my friend in the Southwest, Punk isn't dying, it's just appears to be. If you look around you will see a lot of Punk fans, don't worry about it, Punk isn't Dead. as a matter of fact it's growing, and it's growing quite rapidly. so don't dramatize it.

[COLOR=Navy]In my opinion, "Punk" was never alive. I don't see a reason to get attracted to it myself. "Punk" has a few good songs. That's it. There's a slew of more legendary and more thought out music than "Punk". My favorite band, [B]Dream Theater[/B], is my favorite for a reason. It's different from all of this horrible mainstream music you hear nowadays. It's music is more thought-out, and isn't, "OMFG LIFE SUCKS SUICIDE". Sure, they have some angsty songs, like "Just Let Me Breathe". But the lyrics are more insightful, and filled with understanding emotion. Something I can relate to, when overcome with stress. And he music isn't the outstanding three chords you constantly hear either. The band can play, and they flaunt it.

Here's my question to "Punk" fans. Why "Punk"? Why do you like these bands when there are ones that are so much better? Try some Rush, Tool, Kansas, Led Zeppelin, dear god, something![/COLOR]

[color=darkviolet]Honestly I think punk is like Goth. An over dramatized clothing style that is the 'in' thing at this very moment. A way for global corporations to make money on today's youth by cashing in on the trend of the moment. Yes folks, these anti-establishment people are selling out to the man. :rotflmao:

Why not take your hard earned cash other places than Hot Topic next pay day and buy something worth while... Like a pair of good running shoes, or the boxed set of Kare Kano or a new BBQ grill. Shop at Good Will and make your own clothing style.

In conclusion, punk isn't dead, it's just gone main stream.[/color]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]Honestly I think punk is like Goth. An over dramatized clothing style that is the 'in' thing at this very moment. A way for global corporations to make money on today's youth by cashing in on the trend of the moment. Yes folks, these anti-establishment people are selling out to the man. :rotflmao:

Why not take your hard earned cash other places than Hot Topic next pay day and buy something worth while... Like a pair of good running shoes, or the boxed set of Kare Kano or a new BBQ grill. Shop at Good Will and make your own clothing style.

In conclusion, punk isn't dead, it's just gone main stream.[/color][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]That's the whole point of this. There are some people such as myself, who don't look punk at all, but still appreciate the real punk music. I'm not talking about all these new "punk" bands that are sprouting up, i mean real punk, like my favorite for instance, [B]The Clash[/B]. As i've said before, by looking at me, you wouldn't see some "punk" kid, you'd see a normal kid, who one you got to know, find that i like punk.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Grammar Panzer][COLOR=Navy]In my opinion, "Punk" was never alive. I don't see a reason to get attracted to it myself. "Punk" has a few good songs. That's it. There's a slew of more legendary and more thought out music than "Punk". My favorite band, [B]Dream Theater[/B], is my favorite for a reason. It's different from all of this horrible mainstream music you hear nowadays. It's music is more thought-out, and isn't, "OMFG LIFE SUCKS SUICIDE". Sure, they have some angsty songs, like "Just Let Me Breathe". But the lyrics are more insightful, and filled with understanding emotion. Something I can relate to, when overcome with stress. And he music isn't the outstanding three chords you constantly hear either. The band can play, and they flaunt it.

Here's my question to "Punk" fans. Why "Punk"? Why do you like these bands when there are ones that are so much better? Try some Rush, Tool, Kansas, Led Zeppelin, dear god, something![/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Well, whether punk was ever alive is arguably based simply on if someone likes it. You clearly don't like it, therefore think it never was. In your case this is true. However, i don't think that someone is limiting themselves by listening to punk. For instance, i like punk music, but also very much like all of the bands you had mentioned (well excpet for Dream Theater, that rings a bell, but i've never heard anything from them). In fact Rush and Led Zeppelin are some of my favorite "older" bands, along with Floyd, The Who, Queen... i could go on.

As i said before, punk was a rebelion, a fight against the "system". No [I]real[/I] punk band i've ever heard was full of self hatred "i wanna die" kind of angst. A lot of people base their oppinion of punk simply on the newer bands, which is very bad comparisson because none of them (with the exception of underground bands) are actually good punk, that everyone here is talking about.

Based on musical talent, your absolutely right, punk has none. It [I]was[/I] three main chords over and over. That's because the focus on punk wasn't the music ability, but to get the point accross, and fast. Not to mention it brought hope to the little guys that anyone could be in a band, despite how good you really are musically. I could easily listen to punk, and then immediately turn around and listen to John 5, or Steve Vai, someone with extraordinary talent. That's because i'm not what you were probably thnking of when you posted, i like many kinds of music, as i stated numerous times earlier. In fact, i too like more obscure bands that have a lot of talent. Judging from what Dream Theater seems like, and other bands you like, you may like [B]Porccupine Tree[/B] (i think that's what they're called). A friend just introduced me to their music, and it is very good. Kind of like Floyd in some cases, i suppose it would be classified as prog rock. My whole point to that is just to say, that not everyone who likes punk music is some idoit who wants to die and only listens to half-a**ed three chord music.[/COLOR]

I'm one of the so called "sellouts" who listens to pop punk or as most people today call it...Emo Punk...However, I don't dress like the bands I listen to, nor have I stepped into a Hot Topic...

Punk has become more of a social event today than anything else...Sometimes I listen to music just so I can say that I'm a fan and go to the concerts...Some concerts I went to included Fall Out Boy, Yellowcard, Green Day, The Starting Line, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Taking Back Sunday, The All American Rejects, and My Chemical Romance...and I don't even like half the bands I named...The weirdest thing is...that some people think that those bands are "punk..." If people stopped classifying bands and just listened to what they liked, we'd be much better off...We only categorize bands so that we get an idea of what they sound like when we describe them...It's just unfortunate that today's society has classified those bands I named as "Pop Punk..." And then...people come along and insult those who listen to those bands and say that they are killing the true essence of what Punk Rock is supposed to be...So everything seems to be based on the fact that there is an incorrect definition as to what "Punk" really is...

The point is that I do things and "pose" so I can have fun and go with a group of friends to a concert featuring a band I can't stand...but it doesn't matter because I have my friends there with me...And I buy t-shirts at those concerts because I like them...not to become a punk rocker...A Fall Out Boy t-shirt I have shows a ninja fighting a panda on its back...I bought it because I thought it was humorous...if I wear it...does it make me a punk poser or one of those *aggish wannabe punks? Do people who spike their hair, wear black, get a bunch of piercings, and wear too many arm bands try to be punk posers? No...they're just trying to be like their favorite band because they support them and like the music they make...

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][QUOTE=Grammar Panzer][COLOR=Navy]In my opinion, "Punk" was never alive. I don't see a reason to get attracted to it myself. "Punk" has a few good songs. That's it. There's a slew of more legendary and more thought out music than "Punk". My favorite band, [B]Dream Theater[/B], is my favorite for a reason. It's different from all of this horrible mainstream music you hear nowadays. It's music is more thought-out, and isn't, "OMFG LIFE SUCKS SUICIDE". Sure, they have some angsty songs, like "Just Let Me Breathe". But the lyrics are more insightful, and filled with understanding emotion. Something I can relate to, when overcome with stress. And he music isn't the outstanding three chords you constantly hear either. The band can play, and they flaunt it.

Here's my question to "Punk" fans. Why "Punk"? Why do you like these bands when there are ones that are so much better? Try some Rush, Tool, Kansas, Led Zeppelin, dear god, something![/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I think it's something called 'personal taste'. You may have heard of it.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Grammar Panzer][COLOR=Navy']I gave reasons for what I like, what are your, or other Punk fans, reasons for liking Punk? [/COLOR][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]You really want to know why I like punk? Hmm....

Well, most of the songs are easy to play the bass chords for. Not that I know. But I've been told so I'm sure I can learn too.

But I guess the most important reason that I like punk music is because I just like the music. I don't care if one person or another says it's punk or not. If I can listen to it without wanting to beat myself senseless I like it.

But you shouldn't take my word for it because I like Country music too, so my opinion may not count.[/color]

[quote name='Grammar Panzer][COLOR=Navy']I believe I have. What I trying to get at, was what is there in Punk? What are the elements that people like in Punk? I gave reasons for what I like, what are your, or other Punk fans, reasons for liking Punk? [/COLOR][/quote]

The main concept you're seemingly pressing in the first section of your post is that "I don't like it so that means it was never of importance or 'alive'" and in that case I agree with Aiyisha's response. Asking why people to explain to you why they like something you already decided you won't like really doesn't get very far, I've found lol. If you want to listen to something else, be my guest, but it has as much relevence as someone saying they prefer hip hop to punk music. It really doesn't change the flow of this discussion because no one can tell you otherwise because it is your personal taste.

Otherwise, the idea that punk is now a movement of clothing fashion is saddening. As I've said before, punk has been marginalized and applied to things it shouldn't be and sold in a wrapped up package... but that's really not what it's supposed to be about. While that idea encompasses the current mainstream movement, I don't think it is something that should be thought of as encompassing [i]all[/i] of punk in its entirety.

• 6 months later...
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Welcome to OtakuBoards, crazybarrelhors. We have some rules here that we ask you read over before posting. So, please take a look at the [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?"]Rules[/url] and [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/faq.php?"]FAQ[/url] before your next post.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I deleted your last post in this thread for a couple of reasons. First of all, there is a high standard for post quality here. Your post did not follow it. More importantly though, the only purpose that post would have served was to anger other members, which we do not want to happen. So please keep this in mind for the future.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]ChibiHorsewoman, the only edit I made to your post was to remove the deleted post from your quote.[/color][/font]

Guest Heero yuy
[QUOTE=TOTALIMMORTAL][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed] As much as I'd like to deny it and wish it wasn't true, what was once punk is now honestly dead. I consider myself "punk" but most people probably wouldn't deem me so because I don't exactly dress like all the other people who do think they are. I listen to Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, and of course, Punk. But this isn't about me. I think music keeps changing too much to stay popular with the times, and that's not what music should be about. And especially not Punk Rock. Punk Rock used to actually mean something back in the day, people either loved it or hated it. Now it's actually a [B]FREAKIN CLOTHING STYLE[/B]?!!! :flaming:

I hate that. Way too many kids these days wear a Misfits shirt or something and haven't even heard a single song by them. Punk is sure as hell not about popularity, but thanks to places like Hot Topic, everybody's got a freakin studded belt and a Ramones shirt. Hot Topic is the Anti-Christ to what actually used to mean something. As much as I love Punk Rock, I can honestly say that places like Hot Topic, and those stupid "pop" punk bands like Good Charlotte, have brought about the demise of punk. Bands these days just keep becoming less and less musically talented, and more and more sing-along. Does anybody feel the same way as me, that punk has become way too popular and means practically nothing anymore? I wish it weren't so, but Punk Rock is either Six Feet Under or somewhere close to it.....[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Yeah, hottopic is cyst on the american music scene.

I don't think punk is dead, but it is becoming phased out...

I love the clash, black flag, anti flag and other bands...misfits being one of them.

*ahem* I like Hot Topic. I find it very convenient. I can find everything (well, not everything, but alot of things) that I want there. It's easier than going to a million different online places. I can just take a trip to the mall, go to Hot Topic, Spencer's, and Psycha's, and then head over to Wal*Mart. Convenience is key. Labels are not. But it is human nature to label, so whoop-dee-screw.

EDIT:
Oh, and here's something on this actual topic here: WHO CARES? As long as people are doing what they enjoy, are listening to what they enjoy, and wear and act how they want to, and enjoy it, I don't think it matters. People would label me "goth" or "rocker," but I don't even really have much of a clue what I am. I'm a smoker...I'll just go by the addiction. Punk isn't dead. You wanna see dead? Grunge is dead. Compare the deadness...hmm..Punk--Grunge? Punk--Grunge? I'll say that Punk is pretty damn alive. *kicks punk* *punk jumps* Yep, stil livin'.
Nah, but seriously, people, why argue over Punk? It's obvious that it's still alive. It's just more resserved, and not as much of a big deal. No one cares if you're punk anymore, man. Or goth. Or whatever the hell you are. As long as you are you and aren't being someone else to be "hip" or "cool" or "popular," then no one should care. I don't believe in such a thing as posers, either, because at one time in our lives, we all will be a poser. No matter when or where, we will pose, and we will love it, and then we'll get it over with, and life goes on. That's how life is. Your so-called "posers" have been around for a long time. People wanting to fit in and doing things that they wouldn't normally do so that they can fit in. It's not a new thing, and it's not about to disappear. Ok, yeah, I'm done.