OtakuBoards

Star Ocean

OmegaWeapon

[COLOR=Green][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]Hey, i just got this game not too long ago and I am very impressed. It has good graphics, once you get enough skills-great (although easy to execute) combos. I think this is the best game Square-Enix has made (together).

Has anyone else played this game?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was interested in this game. The key word is "was". Square-Enix purposely delayed its US release here so they could fill in some gaps in their schedule. I had been waiting and waiting, but by the time it actually got here, I really just didn't care anymore. There was too much else out and my interest and hype in Star Ocean 3 died out.

I did play it, but I wasn't so impressed. I liked Star Ocean: Second Story, but it had a million flaws. I managed to get past them, somehow. This one fixes a few of those problems, but it has some of its own. The real time battles could have been neat, but they're really nothing special compared to the stuff in the Tales series (most recently Tales of Symphonia)... especially with the absolutely awful AI your teammates are given.

The game looks good, but I wasn't really impressed. The character models honestly right out disturb me. They're fully grown, but have faces like scrunched up toddlers.

In any case, Square and Enix didn't work together on this in a collaboration sense... It was just released by them as one singular entity. I've been very leary of this company as of late. I used to buy stuff from both of them without thinking twice about it, but not anymore.

I bought this game and love it. I don't really care that Enix didn't work with the Square side of the company as they both make awesome games. I made sure I downloaded the first game before buying this and by reading all the info in the dictionary I discovered this is set about 400 years after the first. I've never played the second so i don't know the difference in years.

I have to agree on the bad AI your teammates have, like when they repeatedly use elemental attacks or spells which the enemy ABSORBS and gains hp from, or when they just don't do anything, and just stand in a corner during the battle

My biggest gripe about SO3 though are the dungeons, it seems as though they were purposely created as to greatly anger the player, I mean too many times I end up just running around in circles because I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to be doing, and after doing this for a few hours it turns out to be something stupid, like pulling a lever which you could barely even see, and was only pulled because you got so frustrated you ended up just pressing X on everything hoping something will happen

Apart from that though, it's a good game, but not quite as good as the high recommendations its received

Guest ambulite
[QUOTE=OmegaWeapon][COLOR=Green][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]Hey, i just got this game not too long ago and I am very impressed. It has good graphics, once you get enough skills-great (although easy to execute) combos. I think this is the best game Square-Enix has made (together).

Has anyone else played this game?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Man i have it is truly good i made a post on it a few mins ago, hard to find a game with good acting isnt it and well im still in the medeval world where r u?? I hope after that world it doesnt change disk coz i would b really pissed
:(

[QUOTE=ambulite]Man i have it is truly good i made a post on it a few mins ago, hard to find a game with good acting isnt it and well im still in the medeval world where r u?? I hope after that world it doesnt change disk coz i would b really pissed
:([/QUOTE]

If you mean that the medieval world as in Elicoor II, then no because almost the whole game is set there. I think some of the problems you guys are talking about were fixed in the Australian/European version because the other party members seem to have fairly decent AI.

[quote name='Meggido']If you mean that the medieval world as in Elicoor II, then no because almost the whole game is set there. I think some of the problems you guys are talking about were fixed in the Australian/European version because the other party members seem to have fairly decent AI.[/quote]

I have the European version, still suffering from the AI problems, lol :D

I'm about 28 hours into the game, just completed the Shrine of Kaddan, game is starting to pick up, the corny voice acting can't be helped though lol, I think there's only 2 or 3 voice's which are actually decent

Why would they just set the game in elacor II that is stupid i was hoping to see futuristic cities and see aliens etc. That has made me feel quite bad now. Is the whole game from then on in just in that place??? :eek:

I HOPE NOT :flaming:

[QUOTE=faiyt]Why would they just set the game in elacor II that is stupid i was hoping to see futuristic cities and see aliens etc. That has made me feel quite bad now. Is the whole game from then on in just in that place??? :eek:

I HOPE NOT :flaming:[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure as I'm still only on disk 1. I have only just completed the Temple of Kaddan and am only 20 hours in. I haven't been levelling up much but my characters don't seem to suffer.

Of my three main characters one is at level 32 and the other two are at 31. I was wondering is this to low a level for the area I'm at which is a short stage into disk 2?
I'm only playing through the first time so I'm trying to see the game fairly quickly. I also didn't pick up Roger after he left the part the first time, am i going to miss anything important?

In contrast to the earlier criticisms about Star Ocean, I thought that Star Ocean: Second Story was one of the greatest rpgs I have ever played. Reasons? Sure there were flaws here and there, but it was very good for its time because it was the closest thing to reality in an rpg. I am of course talking about the skills system. I believe that it was a very original (and good) idea. There were characters that cooked, wrote books, customized weapons and ect. Besides the skill system, I like rpg's with real time combat. It did look kind of funny, I mean 2d characters in a 3d battle field, but it was nonetheless, a good rpg with a pretty good story too. By the way, I've never really had a problem with the ally AI. (They did what I wanted them to do)

level 30 is definatley to low for the battle arena, i was at about level 70 or so when i did it but its a great place to level up and the nice thing is when you die there you dont get a game over.youre not missing much by leavin roger. my first game i chose albel. let me know if ya need anything else

This game is giving me hours of fun and pain. I've had to start again for the second time. The first was because I started on easy and then decided to play normal mode. The recent time is because I reached the second Shrine of Kaddan visit on level 45 and was getting pounded. Still it's a great game and I've spent about 50 hours playing.

• 1 year later...
[COLOR=SeaGreen]I just got this game a few days ago and I?m absolutely loving it. So far I haven?t really noticed too many flaws and for the most part I haven?t had any trouble with the other characters not acting in battle. Occasionally they seem to hesitate when it first starts but that doesn?t seem to last as they then quickly go into battle. I really like how you can do a combination of special attacks or the Symbology attacks instead. The only thing I really dislike so far is that although you can change the direction you are looking you have little control over looking up when traveling so you are still limited to a narrow view sometimes.

So far my favorite character is Cliff. I get the biggest kick out of how he had funny little sayings when he levels up or keeps referring to Fayt as kid instead of calling him by name. I love the funny things he says in battle too. ^_^ I?m too the point where I am on Elicoor II, well a bit further than that as several events have happened since then. Though I?m still on that world and it?s looking like I will be there for a while.

Anyway, anyone else currently playing this game? [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue] [quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=SeaGreen']Anyway, anyone else currently playing this game? [/COLOR][/quote]Not at the moment but I?ve got the game and I?ve played it. It?s actually one of my favorite games as there is so much to it that you can really spend a lot of time doing different things in the game. And then once you?ve beaten it you can play it again on a harder level. I tend to start on the easiest and work my way up. Being able to choose the difficulty level on a game is one of my favorite features. I really hate games that are so hard that unless you enjoy going nuts figuring it out you end up never playing it again.

Anyway if you just got it I would advise you to get the guide to the game. I hear so many people complain about this game being too complicated but the truth is with the guide you really get to play it to it?s full potential. I think the guide is over 250 pages long so it really helps you to get the most out of your game. Especially since there is a lot involved beyond the actual story line. If I remember correctly you can get the guide at Amazon for less than $15 dollars. Trust me, it's money well spent if you like the game.

As for the characters, yeah Cliff is pretty funny. The further along the game gets the more sayings he will use when he goes up or in battle. The same for Fayt as well. So just how far into Elicoor II are you? There?s another character that I know you?ve at least seen but I don?t know if you?ve dealt with him directly yet. His name is Albel and I think you?ll get a kick out of that little warmonger. He?s pretty funny in his own way just like Cliff. I?ll leave it at that, as I don?t want to accidentally spoil it for you. [/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue'] If I remember correctly you can get the guide at Amazon for less than $15 dollars. Trust me, it's money well spent if you like the game.[/COLOR][/quote]

Pfft! Why pay for something you can get free from [URL=http://www.gamefaqs.com][B]GameFAQs[/B][/URL]? ;P

Anyways, I've played Star Ocean: Till The End of Time up to the point where you return to Elicoor II from [spoiler]the other dimension[/spoiler]. So far the game has both intrigued me with it's many plot-twists and locations, and bored me with it's countless amount of pointless cutscenes and stereotypical characters.

So yeah, the plot and the world are major pros, and the storytelling and characters are major cons.

The pacing of the game also sucks. You'll find yourself doing numerous indifferent quests fetching stuff you'll soon find needless and fighting out-of-the-blue bosses with absolutely zero background or foreshadowing. As said, I haven't made it to the end yet so I can't say anything about the conclusion, but my hopes certainly aren't very high up. :/

Then the battles... They are good in their own action-y way, but certainly not my piece of cake. My timing and hand-eye-coordination are pretty stiff, and too often I have to resort to simple hack&slashing to make it out of the battle alive. Every time I try to strategize or try something new (such as switch between characters during the battle), I suddenly have two dead allies and one near death trying to escape. XP

[quote name='indifference][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue']His name is Albel and I think you?ll get a kick out of that little warmonger. He?s pretty funny in his own way just like Cliff.[/COLOR][/quote]

Out of the massive amount of characters crammed into this game, Albel is my number one. ;D <3 He's my main battle character, and I adore his Yaoi-looks and snarky attitude. However, "funny" would be the last word [I]I[/I]'d use to describe him. [I]Pathetic[/I] in his ambition, maybe, but not funny.

Cliff is pretty much the only character who made me chuckle a bit. Peppita and Roger are funny in an annoying way, and the rest are pretty much as dull and hollow as cardboard stands. The voice-acting makes it even worse, since not nearly all dubbers put emotion to their words. And whoever voiced Farleen must die. [I]Asap[/I].

I'm sorry, but as much as I'd [I]want[/I] to like this game (afterall I'm a huge fan of J-RPGs), it's just given me too many frustrating hours that even the gorgeousness of Albel can't make me forgive. :/

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][quote name='Sandy]Pfft! Why pay for something you can get free from [URL=http://www.gamefaqs.com][B]GameFAQs[/B][/URL]? ;P[/QUOTE]Because to be blunt, most online guides suck. They do give you the basics but they are often poorly written and miss out on a lot of details. I?ve yet to see any online guide that really gives you what you need for this game. ;)[QUOTE=Sandy]The pacing of the game also sucks. You'll find yourself doing numerous indifferent quests fetching stuff you'll soon find needless and fighting out-of-the-blue bosses with absolutely zero background or foreshadowing. As said, I haven't made it to the end yet so I can't say anything about the conclusion, but my hopes certainly aren't very high up. :/[/QUOTE] Ironically that?s part of what I like best about it. The numerous different quests getting stuff. I guess it just comes down to preference. For example as much as I enjoyed Final Fantasy X it bored me to tears with the lack of additional quests as there wasn?t very many woven into the main storyline. At least not enough to satisfy me as I like a game that doesn?t rely on going forward but instead sends you all over the place a little. [QUOTE=Sandy]Out of the massive amount of characters crammed into this game, Albel is my number one. ;D <3 He's my main battle character, and I adore his Yaoi-looks and snarky attitude. However, "funny" would be the last word [I]I[/I]'d use to describe him. [I]Pathetic[/I] in his ambition, maybe, but not funny.[/QUOTE]I agree, mostly what cracks me up about him is all his sayings in battle and when he levels up. For whatever reason it always cracks me up. [QUOTE=Sandy]I'm sorry, but as much as I'd [I]want[/I'] to like this game (afterall I'm a huge fan of J-RPGs), it's just given me too many frustrating hours that even the gorgeousness of Albel can't make me forgive. :/[/quote]That?s too bad, though I suppose it all comes down to personal preference. We all have our games that we don?t really like. This just isn?t one of them, at least for me anyway. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=SeaGreen]Wow, such contrasting opinions on the same game. o_O Well since I?m still enjoying it I?m going to stick with the I love it stance. ^_~ But then I?m only to the part where Cliff and Fayt are at the training center to[spoiler] rescue the two women who were captured and to help the one who went on her own to try and rescue them. Though I?ve yet to run into her as I only just got there.[/spoiler] [quote name='indifference][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Because to be blunt, most online guides suck. They do give you the basics but they are often poorly written and miss out on a lot of details. I?ve yet to see any online guide that really gives you what you need for this game. ;) [/COLOR][/QUOTE]Well with what little gaming experience I?ve had, I agree. Though occasionally I?ve noticed that guides often miss stuff that online guides catch. Like in Tales of Symphonia, I found some side quests that weren?t in the guide but an online guide mentioned them. As for getting a guide, after doing a little research into the game I?ve decided to get one. I usually do if it?s a game I like and the company has a good reputation for making guides. That and I?m a sucker for all the details that the good ones provide. [QUOTE=Sandy] So far the game has both intrigued me with it's many plot-twists and locations, and bored me with it's countless amount of pointless cutscenes and stereotypical characters.[/QUOTE]As for them being stereotypical characters, I?ll have to take your word for it since I just don?t see it. But then to be honest until the past few years I was never into games so compared to others I?ve played very few games. In fact I only just got a Playstation 2 for the very first time this summer for my birthday so until now I hadn?t really played very many games since I didn?t have the system.[QUOTE=Sandy]The pacing of the game also sucks. You'll find yourself doing numerous indifferent quests fetching stuff you'll soon find needless and fighting out-of-the-blue bosses with absolutely zero background or foreshadowing. As said, I haven't made it to the end yet so I can't say anything about the conclusion, but my hopes certainly aren't very high up. :/[/QUOTE]Hehe I love doing lots of different quests. ^_^ That?s part of what I loved about The Wind Waker. I loved how you had to sail the seas and conquer different stuff just to finish the game and the other side stuff that you could do as well was tons of fun. Like the collecting all of the treasure chests in the sea. The ones where you had a map that is. ^_~ So if that?s true I?ll probably like it even more as I hate games that are completely linear in their plot line. [QUOTE=Sandy]I'm sorry, but as much as I'd [I]want[/I'] to like this game (afterall I'm a huge fan of J-RPGs), it's just given me too many frustrating hours that even the gorgeousness of Albel can't make me forgive. :/[/quote]Well since we are mentioning that a certain character is gorgeous, I?ll admit that so far my favorite it Fayt. I just think he?s adorable. ^_^ I love his outfit, blue hair, and the way his sword is strapped on. I read online that if you get certain battle trophies in this game you can get other outfits and I?d really like to see what other ones they have for Fayt.

As for Albel, I wondered about him as he was rather unique compared to all the other characters in the cut scene. And his whole attitude of just kill them told me that later I?d have to deal with him. Though based on what you two have said it sounds like I?ll end up with him in my party. Hehe, I can?t wait to see what his sayings for leveling up and for the basic battle scenes are. ^_~[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=SeaGreen']As for getting a guide, after doing a little research into the game I?ve decided to get one. I usually do if it?s a game I like and the company has a good reputation for making guides. That and I?m a sucker for all the details that the good ones provide. [/COLOR][/quote]I'm the same, if it's a game I really like and the company is known for making good detailed guides I always end up getting one. Which is why I recommended it for this game. I've used mine so much that it's a wonder it's still staying together. ;) But then I really enjoy playing this game. I've yet to work up the courage to unlock the hardest level since playing on the harder one has been quite the challenge and once it gets too hard I get too frustrated to continue. If you take the time to unlock everything you could easily sink over 200 hours into this game.

And just because I'm curious, how far are you now Aaryanna? [/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna][color=seagreen']Well since we are mentioning that a certain character is gorgeous, I?ll admit that so far my favorite it Fayt. I just think he?s adorable. ^_^ I love his outfit, blue hair, and the way his sword is strapped on. I read online that if you get certain battle trophies in this game you can get other outfits and I?d really like to see what other ones they have for Fayt.[/color][/quote]
[size=1][color=darkred]Fayt is my favorite character as well (I just love the name Fayt), though I think Roger is quite possible one of the cutest things alive lol. Anyways to my understanding the outfits you can get for him aren't too different for his normal except the color scemes are different, though I could be mistaken cause I've never actually got them. I had the game but I had a house fire at the beginning of the year and have yet to purchase it again (yes I know it's just $20, I've been distracted though)[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred]Lol If anyone has played Radiata Stories [spoiler]there is a Fayt Costume/Armor on the Human Path. I believe it's in Ridley's room if anyone is curious to know.[/spoiler] [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred]Anyways I think I'll be rebuying it soon though, :p .[/color][/size]

[COLOR=SeaGreen][QUOTE=indifference][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue] If you take the time to unlock everything you could easily sink over 200 hours into this game.

And just because I'm curious, how far are you now Aaryanna? [/COLOR][/QUOTE]That?s a lot of hours! o_O Still it just means I have a lot to look forward too right? ^_^ As for where I am, I finished the training center area. Hehe! Sandy was right. Albel really does have quite the yaoi look and interesting attitude. I wonder when I?ll run into him again. Not that I want anyone to tell me as I don?t mind waiting to find out myself.

Now I?m in the forest full of thieves. The one were the [spoiler]fairy helps you spot trees that are really monsters blocking your path. [/spoiler]The best part about that area is the blue slime monsters like to drop a regeneration symbol that replenishes your magic at a certain rate during battle. I?ve been running in and out of that area trying to get at least enough to equip the main three characters fighting with one as now enemies are doing mp damage along with hp damage when they attack. I have one equipped on Fayt and it makes things a whole lot easier. I?ve got two of them and I?m trying to get another one. ^_^ Once I do that there was another save point and so far every time I?ve run into another save point it has meant the boss was next, so once I get another regeneration symbol I intend to finish that area. After all I?m suppose to be looking for the [spoiler]flower girl Ameena who has supposedly collapsed on the mountain.[/spoiler]

It?s always kind of funny how a non-fighting person can end up in an area when you can?t without fighting a ton of monsters! o_O But I guess that?s just how they write games. ^_^[QUOTE=shadowofdeath13][size=1][color=darkred]Fayt is my favorite character as well (I just love the name Fayt), though I think Roger is quite possible one of the cutest things alive lol. Anyways to my understanding the outfits you can get for him aren't too different for his normal except the color scemes are different, though I could be mistaken cause I've never actually got them. I had the game but I had a house fire at the beginning of the year and have yet to purchase it again (yes I know it's just $20, I've been distracted though)[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred]Lol If anyone has played Radiata Stories [spoiler]there is a Fayt Costume/Armor on the Human Path. I believe it's in Ridley's room if anyone is curious to know.[/spoiler] [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred]Anyways I think I'll be rebuying it soon though, :p .[/color][/size][/QUOTE]They do have pictures in the little guide that comes with the game, but they are so small it makes it hard to see all the differences. I still have to earn more battle trophies to unlock it if I understand the instructions correctly. :animesigh I?m impatient as I want to check them out right now! ^_^ That?s too bad that your copy was hurt in a fire, did you lose your memory card too? Though I suppose if it?s been awhile you might want to start from the beginning anyway. Well I?m off to play it some more. Man this game is addicting! [/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue'] Ironically that?s part of what I like best about it. The numerous different quests getting stuff. [/COLOR][/quote]

Actually, I don't mind doing numerous quests outside of the story, without being overly spoilerrific FF XII's minigame is all about sidequests and I'm really looking forward to it. The quests in Star Ocean are annoying to me because:
[B]1.[/B] They're obligatory (although there are a few optional ones)
[B]2.[/B] They have little to nothing to do with the actual storyline (for example the quest in Vanguard which is just a tutorial with no connection to the story whatsoever. Why couldn't Fayt just crashland in Elicoor II to begin with?!)
[B]3.[/B] They're highly unrewarding (in most cases, the only things you get are experience and money)

When the whole game is constructed upon this sort of quests, it gets all over the place without any focus point. :/ I was also expecting more planet-jumping, but apparently Elicoor is [I]sooooo[/I] important. :P

Number 3 was 1 of my all tim favorite games of the RPG genre.

When you find out [spoiler] that our galaxy was a fake. I totaly forcefully bugged out my eyes. WHAT THE! [/spoiler] latter on I started to think maybe it was true. Sometimes you just get hypnotized by story plots and think it could be true. Albel is one of my favorite characters.

Fayt is sweet. As in cool. When you also find out that he was an [spoiler] experiment that was injected (or somethin) with a gene. [/spoiler] Plus the girl with the guns. HOTTIE!!!!!

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][QUOTE=Sandy]Actually, I don't mind doing numerous quests outside of the story, without being overly spoilerrific FF XII's minigame is all about sidequests and I'm really looking forward to it. The quests in Star Ocean are annoying to me because:
[B]1.[/B] They're obligatory (although there are a few optional ones)
[B]2.[/B] They have little to nothing to do with the actual storyline (for example the quest in Vanguard which is just a tutorial with no connection to the story whatsoever. Why couldn't Fayt just crashland in Elicoor II to begin with?!)
[B]3.[/B] They're highly unrewarding (in most cases, the only things you get are experience and money)

When the whole game is constructed upon this sort of quests, it gets all over the place without any focus point. :/ I was also expecting more planet-jumping, but apparently Elicoor is [I]sooooo[/I] important. :P[/QUOTE]Ironically I felt the same way about it until I got the game guide. Once you take the frustration out of figuring out some of the levels, it became a lot more fun. Especially the level in the [spoiler] 4D dimension as there are so many floors in that one that you can just skip as there isn?t any treasure to be had. [/spoiler] I wasted a lot of time running through that place and like you said the only good thing was the experience and money that I got. ;)

As for planet hopping, that is the one thing I found a bit disappointing. I too would have liked to see more worlds than I did in this game. They really had a lot going on Elicoor II and I would have loved to have seen the same on a couple of other worlds, but then I suppose that would have made it even longer and more frustrating, not to mention, it probably would have required three disks instead of two.

I think it?s a great game that with a little tweaking could have been even better. So I guess we can agree to disagree? ;) [quote name='Split Keyblader]When you find out [spoiler] that our galaxy was a fake. I totaly forcefully bugged out my eyes. WHAT THE! [/spoiler] latter on I started to think maybe it was true. Sometimes you just get hypnotized by story plots and think it could be true. Albel is one of my favorite characters.[/QUOTE]I admit that kind of threw me off at first as I was expecting the [spoiler]religious twist that it was appearing to follow when the Executioners first showed up. So it was nice to actually be surprised by a game for a change. [/spoiler] [QUOTE=Aaryanna][COLOR=SeaGreen'] Well since we are mentioning that a certain character is gorgeous, I?ll admit that so far my favorite it Fayt. I just think he?s adorable. ^_^ I love his outfit, blue hair, and the way his sword is strapped on. I read online that if you get certain battle trophies in this game you can get other outfits and I?d really like to see what other ones they have for Fayt. [/COLOR][/quote]Well though I like Albel?s yaoi looks the best, Fayt certainly does come in second with his more innocent boyish looks. He certainly is an adorable character, even if he is a bit naive and predictable. Cliff is funny, but I don?t really care for his looks even with his tight fitting outfit. So it really comes down to just Albel and Fayt if were talking about them being cute. I?m sure some of the girls are but that?s more of an abstract area for me as I?m not into girls. ;)[/COLOR]