OtakuBoards

Star Ocean

OmegaWeapon

When I got the game I found out it was to be cut from production. So I got a rental. Probably the reason being it was put on the greatest hits list. I traded mine in because it didn't work. But I wanted to get the greatest hits version/. So I still have 13 dollors on a card and when I see the greatest hits version I'm gonna get it.

Back to the game itself. When I found that the [spoiler]universe was a computer program I nearly crapped myself.[/spoiler] i kind of agree with the review. And that other guy was named Beelzabub. Luther was origanly Lucifer.

I like the new avi and banner SunfallE has. It's so cool. ^_^ I give the game 5 well deserved thumbs up: out of 5.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][QUOTE=Split Keyblader]Back to the game itself. When I found that the [spoiler]universe was a computer program I nearly crapped myself.[/spoiler] i kind of agree with the review. And that other guy was named Beelzabub. Luther was origanly Lucifer.

I like the new avi and banner SunfallE has. It's so cool. ^_^ I give the game 5 well deserved thumbs up: out of 5.[/QUOTE]I agree that the game is doing what the review states, what made me laugh is that they got offended by it. I mean no matter how you look at it, it's still just a game. ^_~ I guess since I'm not very religious to begin with I'm not bothered if something seems to poke fun at it, and in this case I think it was just a creative idea of what if? A way to make you think since in the end we just might be [spoiler]a computer program![/spoiler] I actually like that twist better than the first one as it made it more intestering. ^_^

Oh and I agree about SunfallE's new avi and banner. They look great! Especially since Fayt is soooo cute! :catgirl: That's what I love about others avi's and such as I can get my anime/video game fix and yet still keep the one's of my dog up. ^_~[/COLOR]

I think it's absurd that when a videogame at least [I]tries[/I] to be more philosophic and existentialist, somebody will get offended and call it blasphemous (it's the same deal with the Xenosaga-series and to certain extent Final Fantasy X as well).

It's like nobody should ever question things like "why we're here?" and "who's behind all this?"!

Pfft, I say! >:P

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Ah Sandy, it?s posts like these that just make us love you more. You know that right? ^_~ The fact that someone would be so insecure in their religion that they would feel threatened by a fictional game is just stupid in my opinion. I could write pages and pages on why I think religion attempts to take away our ability to question on all levels, but then I would need to start another thread on games that mock religion! LOL!

The ironic thing is I love games that do this sort of thing. I?ve never really believed in religion so games that present a different possibility even if it?s just a game often grab my attention quicker than the simple racing games or fighting games. Stories like this draw me in. Even when it?s obviously different like Tales of Symphonia, the religious aspect is still something I find fascinating in a game.

Anyway, more importantly, I am now to the point where I get to go and [spoiler]pick up Albel [/spoiler] I?m thinking that the game is going to get even more interesting from this point on. Even though I don?t completely get the religious part as other than the spoilers in this thread I?ve been avoiding reading too far ahead in my guide. But now that I?ve read about it I can?t wait to find out for myself. ^_~[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
I just passed the game today, and although I was amazed that the final boss actually managed to kill my party of young studs once (I didn't expect that based on [spoiler]the pathetic easiness of the string of minibosses before the final one, which was due to my awesome orichalcum-embedded Laser Weapon[/spoiler]), the conclusion was a [spoiler]horrible, [I]horrible[/I] mess of the worst clichés of videogaming, irrelevant revelations, confusing dialogue that really didn't bring anything new to the story, and an overall anti-climatic feeling.[/spoiler]

Seriously, my feelings along this game went from "hmm, I'm interested" to "yes, this is a nice change from FFs" to "now everything is just getting repetitive" to "oh life, not another inane dialogue and out-of-the-blue boss battle!!!" to "well, that was a big waste of time, money and life".

Not even Albel can ease my feeling of disappointment anymore... And speaking of which [spoiler]wtf was his ending all about?! Sheesh!!![/spoiler] Well, next week I can leave this negative RPG-experience well behind, as I dive into the world of Suikoden V! Yay! XD

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Well now that I have Albel I did what the guide suggested and powered up my weapons. I almost feel like a bully now as I just rip through the monsters. Makes me wish I had more money so I could upgrade them some more. Especially since I added 1000 attack bonus to each of the three main characters that I am using.

Also I just realized that Crispin Freeman does the voice of Albel! It?s ever so delicious to have the voice of a character done by one of your favorite voice actors. :catgirl: And you were right indifference, he does have the funniest sayings in battle. Right now my favorite is when battle starts and he says [spoiler]I?m in the mood for a little violence.[/spoiler] The first time I heard that I just died laughing! And when he?s getting clobbered it?s too funny how he gets furious and starts calling the enemy [spoiler]Worms![/spoiler] I can see that he?s going to be one of my main fighters from now on. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=RoyalBlue']Also I just realized that Crispin Freeman does the voice of Albel! It?s ever so delicious to have the voice of a character done by one of your favorite voice actors. :catgirl: And you were right indifference, he does have the funniest sayings in battle. [/COLOR][/quote]I didn't know that he was one of your favorite voice actors. If I had I would have told you that he was the one who does the voice of Albel the Wicked! ;) Which brings me to my reason for posting. If you enjoy that voice actor, then it might be worth your time to pay attention to the Personal Events section of the game. If you follow the guide and choose the answers where Albel likes your character more, then some of the things he says changes. It's only a few but if you really like his voice then you would enjoy taking the time to hear them. Or you could follow the path where you end up recruiting [spoiler]him later in the game as the things he says are quite different than if he joins you before you go to 4D space. [/spoiler] If you are like me I always like to follow all the different paths when it's a voice actor that I like in a game. [/COLOR]

If you like lots of words and simple combat I guess this game is for you. I do like the semi-unique combat and story... mostly just the story. A story doesn't even have to be that good and I get overly hooked. Square and Enix never let me down there. BEST SQUENIX game ever?? Ehh.

It's true the voice acting isnt bad though, that's often a major gripe... plus the character's personalities and costuming are strikingly familiar to friends of mine... which should lead you to the conclusion that I have strange friends. :p

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][quote name='DarkFactor]If you like lots of words and simple combat I guess this game is for you. [/QUOTE]That?s exactly how I like my games. ;) The biggest turn off in games for me is the fighting ones as I hate having tons of different moves that require exact timing for them to work. Or going through a lot of different button sequences to execute a single move. Where the games that have at least a good variety of moves that are simple to execute are far more fun. At least for me that is. I guess it just comes down to personal preference in the end. [QUOTE=DarkFactor']It's true the voice acting isnt bad though, that's often a major gripe... plus the character's personalities and costuming are strikingly familiar to friends of mine... which should lead you to the conclusion that I have strange friends. :p[/quote]You must have quite the interesting friends for their personalities to be similar to this game. Just imagining someone like Albel the Wicked is enough to make my head explode. ;)

Anyway back to attempting to beat the hardest level of the game. I think you challenged me to play that Aaryanna, just to drive me nuts. I?m not that far into the game and I?m totally getting clobbered. I can?t recall the last time I had my party wiped out completely. And the sad part is it isn't the first time.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][quote name='indifference][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue']Anyway back to attempting to beat the hardest level of the game. I think you challenged me to play that Aaryanna, just to drive me nuts. I?m not that far into the game and I?m totally getting clobbered. I can?t recall the last time I had my party wiped out completely. And the sad part is it isn't the first time.[/COLOR][/quote] :D

I?m almost ready to start my assault on the last area of the game. ^_^ I?ve been doing what the guide suggested and upgrading my weapons, armor and making the necessary food and potions to help me with the upcoming battles. What?s really fun is I finally got enough battle trophies to unlock the second costumes so I loaded the battle data and now I can have everyone in their second costume! :catgirl: And let me tell you..Albel the Wicked is deliciously smexy in his second outfit! I also like Fayt?s second costume, but I don?t care for them making his [spoiler]hair brown[/spoiler] so I switched him back to the original one.

Also I decided on Pepitta Rossetti for my other character. She?s wonderfully spunky and has really cute sayings in battle. Much better than the annoying Roger Huxley. >_< Pepitta also has an adorable second outfit with [spoiler]purple hair and purple clothing.[/spoiler] Once I beat the game I?m looking forward to doing all of the bonus dungeons and such. ^_^[/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkOrchid'] I?m almost ready to start my assault on the last area of the game. [/COLOR][/quote] I?m to that point as well. I just finished exploring the lower levels of the Mosel Ruins. The monsters in the first lower level were a total pain in the rear to beat. >_< If it weren?t for the fact that you have to get to the next couple of levels to get the [spoiler] trading cards necessary for the different costumes, well at least some of them[/spoiler] I probably wouldn?t have bothered with that area until much later in the game. But according to the guide I only need one more battle trophy to unlock being able to use both the second and third outfits and if I don?t have the [spoiler]trading cards[/spoiler] they won?t work. :animesigh At least I?m finally done with that area.

So has anyone else had trouble finding crafting materials? Now that I?m changing the upgrade on my weapons to the [spoiler]boots of prowess [/spoiler] I?ve run out of the necessary crafting materials for [spoiler] refining them twice to give them the +30% atk/def factor. [/spoiler] I was making those and putting them on the best weapons they had but I?ve only been able to fill up three of the eight slots for the three main characters. It?s kind of ironic since I can make the item, but without the materials I can?t refine them.

The guide says you can buy it in one of the bonus dungeons after you beat the game, I had wanted to upgrade them more before the final battle though. Meh! I suppose I should quit looking for the materials and just beat the game already.[/COLOR]

Guest knucklez09
I've had that game since the first day it came out and put over 115 hours in it.......... 115 HOURS! Thats the one game ive ever played that long. I got every item, weapon, food, and skill in the whole game. If anyone needs help send me a private message.

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=RoyalBlue'] So has anyone else had trouble finding crafting materials? [/COLOR][/quote]I had the same problem as well. Even doing your best and going back and getting everything once you get the [spoiler] ring for dissolving rocks so you can get to areas you couldn?t [/spoiler] still left me short on crafting materials.

And now that I?ve been playing the hardest level it?s really going to suck when it?s time to beat the game. I?ve thought about going a different route altogether and using other materials to upgrade my weapons for the final fight as some of them you can outright purchase and one of the most important ones you can fill up on just by being sure to visit enough of the levels in the Sphere company before heading for the top floor.

I?d still rather do what you are talking about and use the [spoiler]boots of prowess since they provide defense as well as an attack boost. [/spoiler] You will be able to purchase them later, but like you said, it?s after you?ve already beaten the game.

About the only other way I know to get the stuff is to get the scroll that lets you grant one of your characters the battle skill Lucky Stars. [spoiler]since getting the stars fills up your battle gauge for you. [/spoiler]It?s a pain in the butt to actually get the stars during battle though. But if you do and get a nice bonus battle gauge going, then the monsters near the town of Peterny often drop crafting materials after battle. I haven?t had much luck with that though as I tend to miss the stars. [/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
I'm so massively stuck in this that it's not even funny.
[spoiler]So I've got this boss to fight, right? Well I'm out of revival stuff, so I go back to the town to get some and then attempt to get back to the boss. I do, but by the time I get there I'M OUT OF FRESH SAGE AGAIN >.< Because the monsters are so strong that I use 20 by the time I get back to the boss that I need them for.[/spoiler]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]There are a couple of paths you can take to make getting to the boss in question easier. Besides leveling up that is and even that will only get you so far. Anyway?one would be to increase your ability to revive your characters so you aren?t dependant on recovery items. Both [spoiler]Sophia and Adray have a restoration spell that they acquire when they are leveling up. Sophia gets her?s when she hits level 22 and Adray gets his when he hits level 32. [/spoiler] If you haven?t used either one of them an easy way to [spoiler]level them up is to set their tactics to do nothing and then when in battle quickly take control of them and simply keep them out of the way while the others kill the monsters. It?s a good idea to equip them with stuff to revive them since monsters will target them if their levels are pretty low. [/spoiler] Now since both of them can use that spell regardless if they are in battle or not, now you can revive characters between battles.

Another method would be to make more recovery items. You can make a [spoiler]resurrection mists through compounding. Which during battle will revive more than one player and restore 30% of both mp/hp. You can even refine them a few times to increase the recovery. You don?t need any special inventors either as Cliff and Maria can make them. The cost is around 210 so you just keep trying until you make the mist. [/spoiler] You can also spend a little time compounding and cooking to whip up other restorative items that would be helpful for the upcoming battles. Just try different prices for original creation. So long as you are saving regularly you can just continue to re-load when you don't make something useful and therefore get the most out of your money.

Another way would be to increase the defense/attack of your fighting party through the item creation method. I?m rather fond of using the workshop in Peterny since it?s right next to the inn. That way I can save the game, attempt to create an item and if I was off I just reload the game to avoid burning through my money. If you haven?t been doing the item creation then just across the street from the Inn is the Guild where you can go sign up so you can create items.

Now the item you want to create is [spoiler]the boots of Prowess. The cost is around 2800 fol and you have to have the inventor Chilico on your team in order to actually make them. If you don?t have Chilico she can be found in Suferio inside The Faerie Tear shop. Give her 82,000 fol and she agrees to work for you. Then once you?ve assigned her to the workshop in Peterny head back to the town and then be sure to expand the workshop?s facilities so you can actually do crafting there. [/spoiler] Now just keep trying different original creations around the price range I mentioned until you create the item.

Once you?ve created it [spoiler] refine it twice and it will increase the 5% defense/attack to 30% Then turn around and use synthesis to attach it to one of your characters weapons. I like using the laser weapon for this, then everyone can use it if you need to switch party members for whatever reason. [/spoiler] At this point I?d make as many as you can afford, beefing up three weapons so each active player has the increased benefit.

One other thing that?s pretty helpful, provided you don?t have them already, is the [spoiler]symbol of regeneration as it restores mp at a fixed rated to active characters in battle if they have one equipped. If you don?t have one, go to the Duggus Forest, the same area where the flower girl collapsed and you went to rescue her earlier in the game. In the forest there are some blue or green slime type creatures, I don?t remember what the color was. Anyway, run in and out fighting them as they randomly drop a symbol of regeneration. Do this until you have enough to equip each character with one. It will greatly aid the fight by restoring your mp during battle and thus reducing the risk of being nailed by a mp kill. [/spoiler]

Anyway, hope that helps. ^_~

[B]EDIT:[/B] I forgot to mention one important aspect about the inventing. When you are trying to invent something you need to use your [spoiler]guild communicator to change the status of any inventors you have signed up with you. Put all of them on standby or else they will be using your money at the same time you are creating stuff. I made that mistake once and had to reload the game. You can take them off standby when you are finished creating stuff. [/spoiler][/COLOR]

^ I can see that if I ever get stuck all I have to do is come and ask you for help. ;)

Anyway, I got this game for Christmas and though I?ve only played it for a little bit so far it seems like it?s going to be an interesting game. Fayt?s kind of a fun character even if he seems completely naïve and Sophia though cute is giving the impression that she?s going to end up being rather annoying.

The graphics are pretty decent for when the game was released and other than some occasional static the music fits enough that it hasn?t become too repetitive yet. I?ll come back with more observations once I?ve gotten further into the game.

Well now that I?m further into the game I find that I am still enjoying it. It does have its moments that are clichéd, but in spite of that I still find it fun to play. I ran into one character that I absolutely despised and that would be [spoiler] Roger. [/spoiler] It didn?t take long for me to decide that he was one of the last people I would want in my group.

So far the character I like the most is Cliff, but then that?s because so far he has the most amusing sayings in battle. Fayt and Nel tend to be on the boring side in that department. I like their special attacks though. [QUOTE=NashvilleDream]I have a small piece of advice for you.
Your level and leveling up doesn't matter, what matters is the abilities you get.
So be careful on that.[/QUOTE]That?s what I?ve heard too from Crystia so I followed her advise and I went and picked up the guide to this game. Which actually looks like a pretty solid guide for a game. I?m getting the impression that when I really get into the customization and creation side of the game it?s going to end up being quite useful.

[COLOR=DarkRed][quote name='Rachmaninoff']That?s what I?ve heard too from Crystia so I followed her advise and I went and picked up the guide to this game. Which actually looks like a pretty solid guide for a game. I?m getting the impression that when I really get into the customization and creation side of the game it?s going to end up being quite useful.[/quote]Smart move, following my advise that is. :p And you're right, when it comes to the customization/creation aspect of the game, that guide will become your new best friend.

I've said it before, but this is one game that getting the guide really makes a difference, since I've yet to see an online guide that even does it justice. And at the same time, it's also a game that in my opinion should have come bundled with the guide in the first place since other than the easiest level customization and creation is essential in beating the harder levels and the bonus dungeons as well. And having the guide to help you with that process just makes it a hundred times more fun instead of a thousand times more frustrating. [/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Well after all this time I finally beat the game. ^_~ There?s a lot to cover so I?ll start with the bad. The biggest would be that to really get the most out of this game and have fun at the same time you need the game guide for it. The easiest level is fine, but if you want to really get into the harder levels and bonus dungeons, you need it. And even then it?s a flaw that in my opinion would have been easily solved by simply bundling the game with the guide in the first place. It turned a game that I loved but was starting to get frustrated with into a game that I totally loved again.

The next would be the dialogue, a good amount of it was cheesy and clichéd, however it was at least partially saved by having good voice actors to offset it.

Now for the more fun part and that would be the overall storyline, truthfully I loved it, even though the game had you on the [spoiler] same planet for a good portion of it. [/spoiler] I really enjoyed the religious and yet not religious twist that was used. The whole idea of the universe being nothing more than a [spoiler] computer game was fun. [/spoiler] There?s more to this that I?ll cover when I get to the ending part.

My next favorite part of this game was the battle system. I really loved how it had special moves that were easy to use and how you could focus on either moves or using the form of magic attacks in the game. The way you could easily switch characters was a plus as well. This is mostly my personal preference though as I detest games that require a lot of timing things perfectly to get a move to work, so having one that didn?t was nice. And even that is not so simple once you play on harder levels as there is still a certain amount of dodging and timing your attacks required or you get clobbered.

I enjoyed the music for the series and some of the special songs used for major boss fights were fun and zany, shaking things up. I also like the graphics, considering when it was released, I thought they were done well. The customization aspect once you got the guide was also a fun part of the game, it gave you total freedom in deciding how much you wanted to max your character out or not.

Anyway, the ending was a mix of parts I outright laughed at and others I cringed at. For starters, after hearing about so many people having trouble beating the game I ended up over customizing my party, to the point that beating the final boss was a walk in the park. I clobbered the boss in less than five minutes. I know this because I earned the battle trophy for doing so, and not one of my characters died. I was expecting it to be much harder, though I suppose the next level of difficulty will make that less likely and even the hardest one after that, which I have yet to unlock.

The part I liked best about the ending was [spoiler] how it implied that the creator of the universe as we know it could not erase our existence, or rather our souls. [/spoiler] It was interesting in how it seemed to imply that the true sin was [spoiler] God?s attempt to destroy his own creations. Something that cracked me up. [/spoiler] The dialogue was cheesy, but I found the concept at least interesting.

The following part of the ending I understand has to do with [spoiler] affection points you got depending upon interactions between characters, so apparently there is suppose to be more than one ending in that respect. [/spoiler] I was rather fond of using Albel in my party and I ended up with what is known as the [spoiler] Fayt & Albel ending. [/spoiler] The parts about the rest of the characters were a bit on the whatever side for me, but the final part right before the end where it shows you what [spoiler] Fayt & Albel are up to now that the universe has been saved was just too funny. ^_^ [/spoiler]

All in all I still adore this game and now I?m off in the first bonus dungeon the Maze of Tribulations and I?ve also started a new game on the next level of difficulty. My first complaint would be that Nel [spoiler] dies too easily as it seems like no matter what tactic I set her on, she can?t be bothered to heal herself until it?s too late. [/spoiler] That and I?ve already been completely wiped out several times. But then that makes it more fun and challenging right? ^_~[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=RoyalBlue]All in all I still adore this game and now I?m off in the first bonus dungeon the Maze of Tribulations and I?ve also started a new game on the next level of difficulty. My first complaint would be that Nel [spoiler] dies too easily as it seems like no matter what tactic I set her on, she can?t be bothered to heal herself until it?s too late. [/spoiler'] That and I?ve already been completely wiped out several times. But then that makes it more fun and challenging right? ^_~[/COLOR][/quote]If you think she?s bad now, just wait until you unlock the final level of difficulty. The real challenge will be to survive past the first battle without dying. Something that took a lot of careful planning and timing on my part. And you have to spend a fair amount of time leveling up the first chance you get, which is a pain, but if you don?t and you advance to the next section too soon. You?ll end up having to re-start the game.

If you do unlock it and eventually play it, make sure you are making save points before you head to the next area so if you get stuck you can re-load, level up a little more and then try it again. I?d be more annoyed if it wasn?t the hardest level in the game, but it is a lot harder to actually get anywhere and there?s no getting around customization, you either use it or die. ;)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Wow, so the guide is [I][B]THAT[/B][/I] important, huh... =_-

I've been kinda diving into the making stuff process, and trying to learn by trial-and-error, but from what you guys say, I'm just gonna save myself the grief and get the guide. :animeswea

Oh, and congratulations on beating the game, SunfallE. lol[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][quote name='Tatsubei Yagyu][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Wow, so the guide is [I][B]THAT[/B][/I] important, huh... =_-[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]Only if you intend on playing the harder levels. The easiest and the normal one you can get by, the normal will be a pain in the butt near the end but you can eventually win.

It?s the two remaining levels that are the killer. Easy and Normal are doable, but the Hard and then the expert (which I am currently working on) you reach the point where the lack of better armor and weapons does you in. And some of the better equipment for beating the game is made through customization since you can add effects to your weapons that improve both your attacks and your defense. There is better armor and weapons in the bonus dungeons, but if you can?t beat the game to get there, you?re stuck. ;)

And the guide takes all the guesswork out of it in that it tells you if an item can only be created by a certain inventor, it even tells you when you can recruit them and what you have to give them.

Anyway, speaking of the game, I?ve finally made it to the point where I actually can do customization again. It took me forever to get past certain points on the hardest level since I kept dying. I didn?t have tons of money but at least I was able to make better armor for Cliff and Fayt. Now I just need to survive to the point where I can recruit more inventors so I can really beef them up. I miss the more powerful weapons I had made in the previous level of difficulty. [/COLOR]