OtakuBoards

Old Members

mangagod

Hey all my old buddys are gone. What is with this new generation of OB users? I mean the old days I had many o' battle scars from just one day. Nowa'days theres nothing going on. I miss syk-9 and the others. Any one else here from the old days have any thing to say?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=darkred][SIZE=1][font=verdana]Well. . I don't know if I am considered an old school member or not . . but I do remembre posting a lot more back in the day. I have been pretty busy lately with a lot of personal issues, but I still find time to come back here and check up on people here. I see way too many new faces for me to try and learn all of them, but that's the interesting thing about time and growth. .

Anyways, I do remember a different tone on the boards back from the day also, especially over now. It seems a lot of people are worried about making enemies, or getting yelled at. . maybe that's just me? *shrug* Who knows! Perhaps that's just me skimming over some topics, instead of really reading in depths or knowing what some people mean by certain posts. Well. . I don't know, but I will continue to keep up with these boards, and put a post here or there, whenever I feel it necessary. [/SIZE][/color][/font]

Guest Midnight Rush
I haven't been around for that long.... but I'm not afriad of getting yelled at or making rivalries. CHW and I have a rather intense enmity, its one of the few clashes left these days I guess.... I dunno.

I've been around since around version 1, with different names of course. Some oldies have come and gone, some are still here. Topaz was one such member. She came back briefly, but I haven't seen here since. Though, she may be here under another name. Don't know what to say, some people just move on, heh. I myself am not that big of a poster compared to what I was, I moved on as well, just not as far as some. ^_^;;

Not sure whether this is a topic you could really make much in depth conversation with. o.O

I've been around for along time aswell. Originally registered January 15, 2001.

I also miss the old days. The new OB style is awesome, and there are so many members now, but I'll never forget those fun times. There are still alot of older members that visit, but not very often. Me for example. I don't post as much as I used too. I still enjoy it here however.

Topaz was a good friend, but she stopped posting about two years ago. I still have alot of her artwork that I'd printed out to use as reference. I admired her artwork for along time.

One thing I really miss is the amount of artwork that was always posted almost daily from artists such as Kinetic, Chris, Kaisuke(Kenji, Nephroxide), GinnyLyn, etc.

Will2x's WAR is another good memory. ^_^

[quote name='Midnight Rush']I haven't been around for that long.... but I'm not afriad of getting yelled at or making rivalries. CHW and I have a rather intense enmity, its one of the few clashes left these days I guess.... I dunno.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Well, once you see the light and realize that I'm right and you're wrong.... :D

I've only been here for almost a year (5/11/04 mark that date on your calnendars) So I don't know how many other debates and arguements have gone on since before I got here. I've noticed more and more people either joining or getting name changes on here lately.

Other than that I don't know much. Well, except that I could probably beat Ken Jennings in Jeorpardy.[/color]

I've been here since Otaku[b]Boards[/b] Version 1, but I don't recall a Syk-9. Was that Syk3's original name? XD I dunno... I've always stuck with this current screen name and haven't changed it since. And now, I pretty much only post in the artistic areas (RPGs, writing, and artwork). I tend to appear in Otaku Lounge, though.

I'm a rare species ;^D

I think the lull in activity round here comes from the fact that summer is now over and everyone is far too busy getting back into the swing of normal life really. True it seemed a lot more exciting "back in the day" but that's probably because you were new and this place was different. I think I've been here for almost a year and a half now and I think it just depends on how interested you are in the place..I know my interest keeps waxing and waning from time to time.

[color=#9933ff]Yeah, I know, all the old members are like... gone. Ginny's gone, Sephiroth's gone (remember when we all said he couldn't leave? lol), and to make matters worse, half the people I've assumed are gone, are still thriving on OB, and are just being too annoying to inform everyone else of the user name they've assumed for the mext ten minutes - shorter (can you believe it), than J Lo's marriages.

I barely remember you as a vague face, and I have no idea if you've been here longer than I have. You've been gone a long time. lol. Welcome back. This place is addictive, isn't it?[/color]

I guess I couldnt be considered an old member, but I've been on for awhile. I do agree that yeah, there is a difference in the way the users interact. I myself have noticed that several of my buddies have either vanished completely, or barely maintain contact (i used to have very long conversations with PM's alone). I understand if their too busy, but it does feel...awkward...when I have tons of free time and no one to chat with. :(
Oh, and ChibiHorsewoman is always right, or so I have been told by one of my buddies... :bash:

[color=#707875]Heh, Sephiroth's not gone...he still posts now and then. But rarely, admittedly. ~_^

You might be surprised how many older members still visit, but under different names. I often find it difficult to work out who is who, myself.

If we suddenly moved back into v2 tomorrow, I think a lot of people would leave. I don't think most people remember how inactive that place was, and how incredibly spammy it was. I remember that most of the activity occurred in General Discussion (and to a lesser extent, Games & Stories). But even then, the most active threads were usually the most flame-ish ones. ~_^

G&S had a good run, but it had very few RPGs. And the best RPGs of the time are easily out-done by many of today's "lesser quality" RPGs.[/color]

It's funny, I suppose, how there are the "Old Members" here, the ones who have been visiting/registered at OB for a few versions now, but you figure that OB has only really been around since...2001? 2000? 1999? 1998? I've heard that v3 started in August 2001.

So, it's not really that long, when you think about it--in offline time, that is. I suppose online time does feel longer. Anywho, enough of my yakkin, let's boogie! (This Is Spinal Tap quote. Check it out.)

I've only been at OB for a little over a year now...probably a year-and-a-half, but my post count doesn't really reflect that. Members who joined at roughly the same time, or even a few months later dwarf me in post count, and I've always wondered why, heh. And compared to the Old Members, my post count is still Newbie.

But in some ways, I think "Older Member" means something else. I don't necessarily equate "Old" with amount of time registered, or Post Count, or anything chronological, really. It seems more to mean a maturity in the posts...post quality, I guess.

There's talk about Old Members (chronological) having a dynamic impact on the boards and such, which I do agree with, but at the same time, I don't think I'm out of line when I say that some "Newer" members, like terra, Arcadia, Drix, and Yours Truly, have had a pretty big impact on OB, sometimes on the same levels as various Oldies. Hell, terra and Arcadia rock the Adventure areas, and terra's 'stress relief' spar with myself, Wondershot, and Balmon should not be missed. There's a reason that terra was Modchipped so quickly: because she's a damn fine member, even when she had 35 posts.

So, really, when you get down to it..."Oldie" really only refers to chronological, I suppose, because there are some rocking newer members around here that can really give the old fogeys a run for their money when it comes to post quality and depth, lol. :p

I'm not sure how relevant this post was to the topic of Old Members' views on things, but it was fun to write, heh.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Well, I've been around since, like, Version 7 or something, so yeah I'm a pretty old member. I still remember back in the good old days when Spiderman 2 hadn't yet come out, that I was talking about how I was gonna see it just to bash it, heh. Yeah those were good times. Since I've joined I've had like, what, 1 or 2 screennames, something like that. It's probably been pretty hard for the mods to keep track of me. But you know, OB is just one of those places you can keep coming back to for no good reason.

[color=crimson][size=1]As far as good old days go, I remember when I first joined for sparring, that was like 2 and a half years ago now, since I joined in 2002. I remember it all quite well, but then I drifted away for a very long time. But I remember some very amazing writers in my time that aren't here anymore. This was all of course when I still used to spar anyways.

Anyways my post count is so low that you wouldn't expect someone like me to have actually been posting here for more then six months. Not only that I don't post enough to get recognized.. I just come and go usually. But I still do keep an eye on this place. Anyways, yeah, my two cents worth, just more or less rambling on about myself, with some relevance to this topic [/color][/size]

[COLOR=Teal][FONT=Arial] I really don't know how long I've been here... 1-3 years? I don't really know anymore. I don't usually have any time to post though. I'm still here, checkin out the adventure arena and Lounge now and then though. But wow, I hardly came here for like 4 months and when I checked back in there are all these new people. Kinda overwhelming, probably why I don't post much anymore (Might also be because I'm lazy :sleep: )[/COLOR][/FONT]

[size=1]I was here for a month or so in 2001 [under a different name though. I'll keep it secret in case they ever catch me and ban me >_>] but had no home PC and so left over school holidays. I have been here since May of 2003 so, thats a fairish while I guess. Though I missed out on a helluva lot.

The thing is Siren, a lot of that stuff you said isn't going to go down in the Annals of OB History. It's not big. Not like the OB Hijacking or anything ~_^

Anyway, I guess we're all weak, kow-towing milksops, and thats why it's different.

Or, rather, we've all just grown up ~_^[/size]

[size=1][color=darkblue]Well, I'm not as old as some members... but I have been around for almost two years. Before I registered on the OB, I was always on theOtaku, so I've been around theOtaku for a good three years. One of the biggest things I remember was the chat room, good times, good times. It is true that I used to post a lot more than I currently do, I just guess there aren't many interesting threads now. At least, not to me.

And of course my old name was Conna_da_fox... but I had to upgrade it to another-even-more-flashy-made-up-name and what did that equal? Lix! Whoo... anyway.. yeah.
I think I lost a good number of friends... people just stopped coming. I used to be really active with PMing my "Buddies" and stuff, but, now, I just like to be lazy and tell them to add me to messenger. XD
I don't think I'll be leaving anytime soon though, I always tried to find other forums, but none of them were as good as the OB, so I kept coming back. I have high expectations for froums now, since the OB was my first forum I had ever come to. But, I guess I'm alright with that.... it's not like I have anything better to do anyway.... >>[/color][/size]

I remember first coming here in August 2000. Googling for some pokemon info and brought me over to register back then. I was a pretty active poster then but since I entered hs back in '01, my posting amount has gone down significantly. I still check on the boards at least once a week but don't put up a post unless there's a topic i'd really like to reply to.
It's been interesting to see members come and go. I remember when IM_Gengar and dark_lugia(he changed his nick later on but I can't remember it) used to have a few flame wars but they left a few months after I came. I remember the boards weren't as strictly moderated back then so it wasn't too rare to see spam and flames.
There's been quite a bit of changes over here @ OtakuBoards but it's no surprise. Time moves on and people move on along with it.

[size=1]It's going on three years now for me...
Gods... It seems like yesterday.

I came to the boards after a friend refered me. I outstayed him, and he was dedicated.
DarkOrderKnight was me in te beginning. Then KnightOfTheRose, and finally just myself.

Time seems to take on a beat of its own here. It's not really constant at all. I can remember some of the first posts I ever made with clarity that suggests it was no more than a week ago.
And how different everything seems now. I was so intent on impressing and making a name for myself, for getting to every topic and making some earthshattering illumination. Now I'm lucky if I have a chance to skim the topics four times a week.
Times change, the world moves on.

But nevertheless, OB is a home.[/size]

I've been here for... Hm.. Can't really say. I dissapear and reappear because of my lack o internet. I've had a few diffrent names (stormwing and somthin else, my memory fails me.) and had to search through a crap ton of old posts to find my current name. Blarg, hassles. I remember when people got uber flamed for bad grammer/spelling... Oh, for the good old days... j/k. I miss some of the people that don't come around anymore... I got scared away by all the upgrades... Whenever I could get on the net the site was being upgraded... INSANITY!!!!! Meh... Well it's good to visit..

lol.. I used to sign my name Siren, but someone has that name now. That's what I get for dissapearing.

~Robin

[size=1][color=darkred]

Hmm, I really don't know how many years I've been here, but I'd have to say it might have been on and off since version 2. I remember the OB being total chaos with the spaming and nonsense topics, I can't say it wasn't fun at times, but it was really a pain too.

I remember too when the boards crashed and I lost my account, having to make a new one (this may be the very account but I wouldn't count on it.)

I do remember Sephiroth and Ginny, I also remember when Mist made frequent apperances too, man she was a good writer...

Anywho, I plan on being here for a while longer, even though I rarely post anywhere other than the RPG forums.[/size][/color]

[color=#009966]I'm an old member. In fact, I celebrated my 3rd-year anniversary a little more than a week ago. :D

If my memory is correct, I joined way back on Oct. 9th, 2001. [strike]Or was it 2000? I don't know, I'll have to check my profile after I type this post.[/strike] :p I used to be called kool_aid13 back then, but I changed my name to Deedlit, and now I can't put new names to old faces since everyone changed their name.

I joined back in version 3 (I'm 99.9999999% sure it was version 3). Ah, good times. ^____^ That was when all newbies and junior members had to earn 500 posts before they were able to customize their own avatar. Now I'm kinda annoyed that the new members don't have to earn that honor like we did....

E D I T: Yep. It was 2001. ^__^[/color]