OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist Manga

anime[blood]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=darkblue]1) Double posting is not allowed on OtakuBoards. Please don't do it again in the future.

2) It is hard to tell when the manga will be come available, as there are many distribution companies that can catch hold of it, as is the case with anime. It's merely a wait-and-see game, unless a website somewhere has a potential release date.[/color]

• 6 months later...
Hey, I got the FMA manga not to long ago and I found it to be shockingly good. I read it a coupla times before loaning it to my usual friends so I was wondering what you guyz thought about it? I thought the story (like the anime) and the artwork were really good.

i have the scanlation volumes that toriyama's world did except for the omakes until viz picked it up.

how many volumes are there? i know there are 4 but is there more then that.

Guest Liebe ist Krieg
[COLOR=DarkRed]
Wow! Full metal has got to be the best manga ever!!!
i've been looking for an alchemy manga, you know, something that deals with magic and science stuff, and i finally found it!!
[IMG]http://www.planetzot.com/images/fma/anime_fma01.jpg[/IMG]
[FONT=Courier New]SWEEEET!![/FONT][/COLOR]
it has everything a story will ever have.

Guest Zutto hateshina
yeah ! the Full Metal Alchemist manga is so good! i don't get to watch the anime so i read the manga. there are currently 11 volumes out in Japan, but they plan on going up to 20 volumes of it ^___^

The Full Metal Alchemist manga is [B]AWESOME[/B].

I bought it a few weeks ago and couldn't put it down for the entire day, I loved it. Even got another copy for my friend's b-day. :animesmil

In personal opinion, I found it a bit more enjoyable than the anime, especially when it came to humor.

I am with all of you guys. I really love the FMA manga. This manga is the first one I have read that actually made me tear up. I enjoy the way the story line is set up in the manga more than the anime...not to say I don't like the anime because I really enjoy it. I just prefer the manga more. :)

The manga only characters like Mei Chen who is super cute with her little panda traveling companion Xiao Mei. I think it's really cute how she [spoiler]has these visions of Ed being this really tall thin typical bishonen.[/spoiler] Plus, how can you go wrong with a pet panda who protects you!

I also prefer Barry's story line more in the manga and [spoiler]how he wants to butcher his own body since he would be the only serial killer/butcher to butcher his own body! The end of his story line with his body "killing" him was an excellent end to that story arc.[/spoiler] I also found that, in a weird way, I really liked Barry's character in the manga. I think they just spent more time on his story and character developement in the manga.

I also enjoyed all the time they spent on Izumi's story too. When people ask me what I do all I can think about now is Izumi's "I'm a housewife!!" response when [spoiler]she goes to rescue Al from Greed.[/spoiler] Darn right!! I'm a housewife, get outta my way!! lol On the serious side I can relate to her being a housewife who,[spoiler]because of 'health' problems, cannot have children.[/spoiler]

There are just so many things I love about the manga like the side stories when Black Hayate shows up or the creepy Blind Alchemist story with [spoiler]the mummy girl[/spoiler]. They are just great and add so much to the total enjoyment of the manga. As well as the additional relationships and story arcs included such as Ling and his team. I haven't been disappointed yet with the manga.

Speaking of relationships I love the parts when [spoiler]Hawkeye loses hope when she thinks Mustang is killed, Ed has a moment with Winry when she was going to shoot Scar, Ling telling Fan he wasn't going to just throw her away because she was injured, Hughes' funeral, anytime Xiao Mei shows up....so many great parts!![/spoiler] Oh and of course not to mention all the great scenes between Ed and Al.

I can go on for days about all the things I love about the FMA manga, I think I will leave it at this for now. :animeswea All this talking...er....writing about FMA now makes me want to read it. I think I will go an re-read it right now.

• 3 weeks later...
i finally found it! i bought it too... the second volume is comeing out June 28. the 3rd is coming out Septenber 25, and the 4rth is coming out October 25. :animecry: i have to wait a long time before i can read the other volumes! Winrey is my favorite character and she is not even mentioned in the first volume. I let my brother read vol. 1 and here asked so many questions about how Ed got his arm coustom made and stuff like that.

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1][color=darkred]I just finished reading Volume one of this incredible manga. It is, In my opinion, funnier than its anime counterpart. The character designs are amazing, the art is right up there with all of the modern animes, and it has some phylosophical elements added into it for good measures as well. For those of you who don't know the plot, I will give a brief summary of it. The main two characters are the state alchemists Edward Elric and Alphonse Elric. Edward Elric is the comedic factor in this manga, and does a dang good job of making it incredibly funny. One of the funniest scenes in this manga is when train-jackers are taking over a train and call Edward a runt while he is sleeping. he subconciously reacts to them calling him a runt, and beats the crap out of them. He then ask's who they are. That being the punchline. I, personally, liked this manga better than the anime episode's that I have seen. I just hope this manga continus to deliver.And hopefully the rest of the series will translate well into manga format.[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1]I agree with you.I read the first volume about a month ago and I thought the artwork and the plot-line were spectacular.I especially thought the fact that they immediatly tell you why Ed and Al are the way they are instead of saving it as a big secret at the end was nice.And Ed is pretty funny.I was reading parts of the book to my mum in the car and she chuckled a bit.

I also agree that the manga is better than the anime,but they are both great.I saw only one episode (That Which Is Lost) and thought Alphonse was very funny.That little boys voice in a huge suit of armor makes me smile.

Do you have any idea when the next volume is to be released in the US if not already? I borrowed Vol.1 from a friend so I have no idea.I really don't want to miss it. :animeangr [/SIZE]

[size=1][color=darkred]The only part that made anyone I know laugh were the end strips. Especially the "Copper Alchemist" Strip. I litterally laughed out loud when I read that strip. The ending segment of that strip, were Edward makes that ridiculous face, is priceless. Edwards character is very hilarious, while most of the tiem he is serious, he occasionaly adds in some sarcastic comments, which make the series all the more better. The series is right up there with the funniest mangas, such as Azumanga Diaoh.[/size][/color]

• 1 month later...
I agree with you Panda, on many points XD Barry's story in the manga was just so much more interesting, and I really liked him as a character.[spoiler] It's so different than the anime, where they actually had Ed and Al meet him [I]before [/I]he became #66. And how he fell in love with Riza! That was so unbelievably amusing to me.[/spoiler]

I think one of my favorite parts of the manga that was sadly left out was the whole Xing portion of the story. Ling Yao is one of my favorite characters, and I was heartbroken when I saw he wasn't in the anime (I read the manga before seeing the anime in its entirety)

[spoiler]Not to mention the Roy vs. Lust fight which had me in tears over the fate of my favorite Lt. (and #1 favorite character). I was upset for a while over that ;_; [/spoiler]

The storyline of the fma manga sure is a lot different than the anime. I definitely prefer the direction that the manga took after Ed and Al's encounter with their master. The plot is much more solid, and the story moves at a comfortable pace that really allows you to really get to know the characters. I think what I like best about the manga overall is the humor. The anime started out well enough, but as it progressed, it got a little too angsty for my tastes. The manga is lighter and has great humor and I really enjoy the battles.

Shoot, there's just so many things about the fma manga that I could talk about! If only some more people here were up-to-date on the manga.

Lindus you have just made me very happy! ::huggles:: It's great to find someone who knows what I am talking about! I love the storyline with Ling and it's sad to see this missing from the anime.

I do suggest that any FMA fan buy the FMA Perfect Guide Book. It's still in the raw (not translated) and it is great, hopefully they will translate this book since there is so much in it that is interesting. There is a little section in it that is an interview with Hiromu Arakawa who likes to use a little cow avatar for herself since she was born and raised in Hokkaido, which is "rural" Japan. She grew up on a dairy farm. LOL The book also has maps of the area, character descriptions and charts on how they relate to each other. The best thing being the little side pictures and comic strips that are added in. Like the side story of Black Hayate falling down a cliff. [spoiler] Hawkeye says she will help him and she just tosses him a hand gun! Black Hayate is just thinking to himself "How the heck is a dog suppose to use this?". It just seems like something Hawkeye would do since she seems to always use her guns when she is in trouble![/spoiler]

Anywho, currently I have last read up to [spoiler] when Mei Chen fights with Ed and Al trying to protect Scar and Xiao Mei gets left behind and picked up by Al. I totally love how she (Xiao Mei) views Al as the top of her social structure and Ed below single cell organisms![/spoiler] Because of how sweet Al is with Xiao he has moved up in rank as one of my favorite FMA characters. Xiao Mei and Mei Chen being at the top of my list. I really wish they were in the anime.

Edit: Brain Fart- needed to change some info because I am a loon and said the manga-ka was a "he" not a "she". Gomen!

Ha ha! You make me just as happy. I've seen images and such from the Perfect Guide Book, and I've craved it ever since. I'm going to Chinatown this Friday, so I may be lucky and come across a copy of it.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but isn't Arakawa a she? At least, that's what I've been seeing 'round.

Ah! I just remembered!I've seen that Black Hayate short. I'm pretty sure that before the FmA manga was bought by Viz, Anime-source.com had translated that and a couple of other little comics. I seem to recall one of Hughes (was it Hughes?...shoot, it's been about six months since I've seen it XD), Armstrong, and a bathroom stall. Oh! And one where Gluttony shows Envy's head to Lust. Or something. I don't know if these were from the perfect guide book. I liked them though XD

I'm at the same point in the manga as you. *waits for the August chapter* I really was upset when I found out the guys from Xing weren't going to be in the anime. At that point, I had seen about 20 of the episodes, and I was current with the manga. I think I actually may have liked the anime less knowing that Ling, Mei, and all the rest wouldn't be making an appearance. Ah well, there's always the manga ^^

No, you are right, she is a she, not a he...blame it on the chemo, my brain is fried. I am not sure why I said he...meh. Anywho, the Guide book is a must have the pictures are great, one of my other favs is of a little dog with Al's helmet and a little voice notation coming out of it saying "Brother!". It is just too cute.

I love the FMA manga! I actually read the manga first before watching the anime and personally, I prefer the manga better. It just has more depth to the characters, and well, more characters. As Panda and Lindus have said, I enjoy how the story is told. Don't get me wrong, though, the anime is awesome too, but manga appeals to me more in general.

It's not that big of a part, but I thought it was funny when [spoiler]Ed and Al first go to meet Cieska and while she's buried underneath the pile of books, Al says that he can't imagine someone living here and then she calls out. The little chibi Al's reaction was just hilarious to me.[/spoiler] Other people probably may not find it as funny as I did, but yeah.

I wish I could buy the 11th volume in Japan, but right now it doesn't look like I'll be getting it anytime soon. Oh well.

well I readed 4 book so far i need to buy more I'm not crazy :shifty: lol well to me there almost the same but the book have some changes like things add that about it but it could change and I might be wrong i'm cheap 10.00 pus tax for a book :animedepr alwell good books any way I like them alot :animesmil

[FONT=Georgia][CENTER][COLOR=DarkRed]Oh you guys are soo lucky....I don't go to the mall as much (( Cause I have no Transportation over there. *glomps sadly* and I'm afraid to go on the bus cause the last time I took it, I ended up in Waiphu instead of Millilani :animesmil eh heh heh :animeswea )) I hope Mustang and Hawkeye get together. *snuggles mustang and Hawkeye plushies* :D [/COLOR][/CENTER] [/FONT]