OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist Manga

anime[blood]

I love the Manga and the Anime of FMA even if people said one better than another . But i think the book hold a little more but I still want to watch it on tv and maybe later like in to 2 year or one when it finally come out in us. The movie , I not to good with subtitle. :animedepr :animeshy:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font='Comic Sans MS']I love the Fullmetal Alchemist manga. ?Though I really don?t know which I prefer. I think I like them both equally for different reasons. Like Panda and Lindus have already said I liked the Barry the Chopper part better in the manga [spoiler] I loved how he would only listen to Riza? and I cracked up while I was on the phone talking to my friend Sam when I read the part when he said ?Bunny only wanted to have a few words with Mr. Mustang. Just to talk about me and Falman?s big event in the future! [/font][font=Webdings]Y[/font][font='Comic Sans MS']? That was really, really funny. *Laughs*. And the ?chopping up his own body? part was interesting too. [/spoiler] Then being a major Ed x Winry fan I loved [spoiler] the part where Ed saved Winry from Scar? and later when she admitted her feelings for him! *Squee*[/spoiler] of course it wasn?t as great as it would have been if I hadn?t know it would happen before hand (I?d come across some spoilers on another message board I lurk on). The part where Mei Chen?s Panda bites Al?s finger? I loved his face there XD. I was also pretty sad that they left Ling and the rest of the Xing people out of the anime? who knows maybe they?ll be in the movie (I haven?t read any info on it not wanting to spoil it)! (Yea right.)[color=white] [/color]But there where some parts I preferred in the anime like how [spoiler] Lust died. ?She ended up seeming a lot less evil when you found out that she just wanted to become human and when she offered to help Ed. And also how she was killed by another Homunculus. But then I did also like how she died in the manga? and I loved the part when Riza came in (I <3 [/font][font='Comic Sans MS']Roy x Riza!).[/spoiler] ?Actually know that I?m writing about it I think I do kid of prefer the manga? it?s just the animes ending was so good (at least IMO ?I don?t know if other hated it or what?) but then I suppose I really have to wait and see how the manga ends. Maybe it has the same twist [spoiler](the other side of the gate being our world and Ed being trapped in our world).[/spoiler] This is getting pretty long so I?m going to wrap it up. But still one question has been irking me. How did the people making the anime know how to include some things [spoiler] like how the Furher(sp?) was a homunculus, and that Sloth was the homunculus made by Ed and Al?s attempt at bringing their mom back, and what Hohenhiem(sp?) looked like and that he was immortal (kinnda). [/spoiler] I?m assuming that they made those parts before she had written them because the manga?s still coming out and they?ve been done with the anime for a long time. They probably would have already made those parts before she wrote them since that all takes place in the newer part of the manga? (But then maybe they where out when they made the series). Did she tell them her plans for the rest of the manga and how she wanted the anime to go? or did she see what they did and so added stuff like [spoiler] The Furher being a homunculus [/spoiler] because that had happened in the anime. Ok this is long enough? I?m stopping now.[/font]

I still like manga lust better. I just liked how awesomely cool she was. In the anime, all the characters were practically spouting angst near the end and I felt it was unnecessary. *shrug*.

Can't say I didn't like the anime's ending. Just that I found myself going "wtf" a little too much while watching the last few episodes. I think Arakawa did talk with the anime staff about her plans though. I *think*. I'm not 100% on that. Anyone else know for sure? But the anime did have to wrap itself up. With the manga on-going, they had to find a way to end it. The ending wasn't great, but it was decent and tolerable imo.

in my opinion on the variations between the FM manga and anime, i'd say i'd pick the manga! the manga is defnately more detailed and in most animes, they change the Japanese names to English ones, and i am mad about that! i mean, they shouldn't change the names just so ppl can pronounce them easier! that's an assumption that is not necessary, i like the original. now, the reasons why the manga of FMA is better then the anime is that the anime has filler episodes that never occured in the manga, so they are pretty much making it up. plus, you understand more of what is going on when you read the manga. and like a few of you said, the anime stops short at 52 episodes while the manga keeps going and is still being published in Japan. of course, i have only seen the first season of FMA anime, but so far, it's pretty good to see them in motion, but the manga is definately more important in my mind ^^

[QUOTE]in most animes, they change the Japanese names to English ones, and i am mad about that! i mean, they shouldn't change the names just so ppl can pronounce them easier![/QUOTE]

Is this just in general, or with fma? I really couldn't understand your whole post, but I assume you mean in general since fma uses mostly westsern names. =3

I actually don't mind some of the filler episodes.(with the exception of episode 4 and any of that Ishbal side stuff). There weren't *too* many of them and I still enjoyed watching them. At least there isn't as many as a show like Naruto :animesmil

But if you've only seen the first half of the anime series (that's how much adult swim has aired so far, right?), then you're going to notice a lot more differences between the manga and anime. After episode 25 is pretty much when the anime stems off from the manga's plot.

• 1 month later...
[color=darkslateblue] Has anyone here been keeping up with the FMA manga? [spoiler] I'm dying to read chapter 53 so we find out more about 'Father'. Of course there are obvious similarities between this guy and Hoenheim, but then again it seems pretty obvious. >_> I entertain the idea of Hoenheim having an evil twin, which would be ridiculously hilarious. But anyways, with chapter 52... I hope Ed and Ling are alright. :/ And Roy. The whole Riza getting transferred to work at Central was a bit of a surprise to me.[/spoiler][/color]

I've been keeping up with the manga! You know I can't just leave Xiao Mei! I really do love the part in chapter 52 when Al is comforting Xiao Mei, it is just so darn cute I can't help but melt over it!

This is of course completely opposite of the entire story arc going on with [spoiler]Ed, Ling and Envy. Envy's form is very disturbing and I HATE that low blow he used against Ed, the one where he says: "Let's Play" and it makes Ed think of Alexander/Nina. The other part that really bothered me was with Roy and Bradley. Bradley said it angered him when Alicia was making noise at her father's funeral! I just wanted to strangle that...argh! I can't even say what I think that "jerk" is!![/spoiler]

Just thinking about that puts me in a fighting mood! I just want to kick his butt! I better go back and look at the uber cute pictures of Al and Xiao Mei to settle me down.

[QUOTE=Panda]
[spoiler]The other part that really bothered me was with Roy and Bradley. Bradley said it angered him when Alicia was making noise at her father's funeral! I just wanted to strangle that...argh! I can't even say what I think that "jerk" is!![/spoiler]
[/QUOTE]
OMG I know! I couldn't believe he said that. [spoiler]I feel so sorry for poor Selim. Even if he's "well behaved" I bet he gets kind of nervous around his dad ;_;

That said, Envy looks really freaky. I'm really reminded of some of the later chapters of D.Gray-Man when I look at him (spoilers?) (like, around ch.50 [I THINK- it's when they fight that big thingamabob with the halo] if anyone reads it). The faces look similar and very freaky.[/spoiler]

I'm really excited for the next chapter! >w<

Oh btw, I absolutely adored Mei-chan's mental image of Al. XD cracked me up.

• 3 weeks later...
I am proud to say I own all volumes of FMA released by VIZ in USA. However, I have to say there is an edit in volume 1 which I did not like one bit (pg 89 pannel 2, there is a black/grey box added).

[spoiler]Well, now, what is your opinion in this Hikari no Hoenheime fellow... Yes, there is an uncanny resamblance from the man in that basement to Ed and Al's father. There is this chapter when he refers to Greed "My son from which I share my soul...", do you think he extracted the Seven Sins from his soul? And Ed's father warned Pinako about something terrible that would happen. I can't wait till monday.[/spoiler]

[color=darkblue][size=1][b]In the future, please remember to use spoiler tags when talking about important plot elements that others who want to read the series may not yet have come across, thanks. ^^ -Lady K[/b][/size][/color]

[quote name='MangaFan007']I am proud to say I own all volumes of FMA released by VIZ in USA. However, I have to say there is an edit in volume 1 which I did not like one bit (pg 89 pannel 2, there is a black/grey box added).[/quote]

Hm, I have the Japanese volume 1, but its pg.89 also has a gray box. Is the one in the English one put right after [SPOILER]Ed "crushes" Cornello with the stone fist? If it is, I think the box may serve to say the arm has stopped.[/SPOILER] I dunno actually...

Are they on the Greed chapters in the English version already? ^0^ I love those. [SPOILER]I'm going to stick to the theory that Father is Hohenheim because of the physical resemblence, as well as his role in the anime (as different as the story may be).[/SPOILER]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]I think they?re up to the 5th Laboratory stuff? but that?s the end of the third volume and the fourth volume might be out already (though it wasn?t two weekends ago when I was at Books A [/color][color=navy]Million). *Shrug*
[/color][/size][/font][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy][color=navy][quote name='MangaFan007'] I can't wait till monday[/quote] You?re saying that because that?s when you think the next chapter is coming out, right? Because that?s what I thought too, but the site that I get the manga from has a counter that says chapter 53 won?t be out until Friday. ?maybe that?s just when they think they?ll have it translated by?[/color][color=black][color=navy]
[/color][/color][/color][/size][/font][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy][color=black][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy][color=navy]Well whatever about what day it comes out? I can?t wait ?till it does! [spoiler] Ahhh! I really want to know what happens to Hawkeye now that she?s the Fuhrer?s(sp?) secretary? and to Roy after he pretty much told the Fuhrer that he knows he?s Wrath. *Jumps up and down in her seat excitedly*. And I really want to figure out who Father and Pride are!!!![/spoiler][/color][color=black]
[/color][/color][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][color=black][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy][quote name='Lindus] [SPOILER']I'm going to stick to the theory that Father is Hohenheim because of the physical resemblence, as well as his role in the anime (as different as the story may be).[/SPOILER][/quote][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=black][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy][spoiler] Even if Hohenhiem seems to obvious to be Father, he?s still my first guess too. Of course there?s the physical resemblance between the two (like you said), and it?s pretty suspicious that he can be shot at and not die, and (I?ve been lurking around the Fullmetal Alchemist MSN group and someone on one of the topics mentioned this) right after Father announced he was going out for a walk Hohenhiem showed up in Resembull, and also Hohenhiem seems to know something about the homunculi?s plans (he warned Pinako while he was visiting). [/spoiler]
[/color][/size][/font][/color][color=black][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]Also while lurking around the Fullmetal Alchemist MSN group, I found this topic about killing the homunculi. I?m not going to link to the topic since I think that?s against the rules, but there was an interesting link someone posted about how the seven sins would [/color][color=navy]be tortured after they die (I don?t say the word for where they go once they do die :3). The site can be found [/color][/size][/font][url="http://deadlysins.com/sins/index.htm"][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]here[/color][/size][/font][/url][/color][color=navy][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1].
[/size][/font][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]Now we know that both [spoiler]Lust and Greed have died, and if you look at the link Lust?s punishment is being smothered in fire and brimstone, and she was killed by Roy repeatedly lighting her on fire. And Greed?s punishment is being boiled in a cauldron of oil? sound familiar? Yup that?s how he was killed! (Wasn?t it by Father? ?can?t remember >.<). [/spoiler]

Edit: Oh I just saw something on one forum that said that new chapters come out on the tenth of every month... but isn't tomorrow (the day I thought it came out) the eleventh?[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Gin][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy][/size][/font][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]Now we know that both [spoiler]Lust and Greed have died, and if you look at the link Lust?s punishment is being smothered in fire and brimstone, and she was killed by Roy repeatedly lighting her on fire. And Greed?s punishment is being boiled in a cauldron of oil? sound familiar? Yup that?s how he was killed! (Wasn?t it by Father? ?can?t remember >.<). [/spoiler][/size][/font'][/color][/quote]

I came across that punishment list about a year ago, and I thought (and still think) [SPOILER]it's SO much cooler than how the anime!Sins were killed. Especially the Lust fight.[/SPOILER] That was fantastic. I'm kind of curious about what Arakawa's interpretations of Pride (broken on wheel) and Sloth's (snake pit) deaths will be like.

[SPOILER]btw, I think it *was* Father who uh..melted Greed XD He's recycling[/SPOILER]

[quote name='Gin']You?re saying that because that?s when you think the next chapter is coming out, right? Because that?s what I thought too, but the site that I get the manga from has a counter that says chapter 53 won?t be out until Friday. ?maybe that?s just when they think they?ll have it translated by?[/quote]

True, that is why I said it. The manga is supposed to come out in Japan tomorow (Nov 12), so I think they will have the raws uploaded by monday... hopefully.

In any case [spoiler]I have a hunch Pride is somebody we have heard from before, maybe the Crymson Alchemist? He had a pannel for himself in Volume 4, but has not been heard of since then. Then again, that is just speculation...[/spoiler]

[font=Times New Roman][quote name='MangaFan007][/font][color=black][font=Verdana'] True, that is why I said it. The manga is supposed to come out in Japan tomorow (Nov 12), so I think they will have the raws uploaded by monday... hopefully.[/quote][/font][/color][font=Times New Roman]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]Actually I think chapter 53 came out today (the 11th) because the raw?s already up on the MSN group. ?But is it already the 12th in Japan? I think whenever my dad went to Korea for business trips when I was younger he was a day ahead of us (and Japan is even farther away than Korea)? *shrugs*. I think I'll just wait until new chapters come out and be happy they're out instead of confusing my self with when they come out... *sigh*.[/color][/size][/font]
[/font][QUOTE]In any case [spoiler]I have a hunch Pride is somebody we have heard from before, maybe the Crymson Alchemist? He had a pannel for himself in Volume 4, but has not been heard of since then. Then again, that is just speculation...[/spoiler][/QUOTE][color=black][font=Verdana][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]Ah who?s the Crimson Alchemist again? *Feels really dumb for not being able to remember*. I think it?s Marco? Or Kimbly (if he was part of the military in the manga too)? Gosh I can?t remember any of their special state names!! And also [spoiler]about Pride: if you haven?t already noticed on page five of chapter 49 when Wrath?s talking to Pride they kind of show his face shaded. And, if the Crimson Alchemist is who I think he is (because I?m too lazy to look for the part you?re talking about in volume four^^), then the build of Pride?s body looks different than the Crimson Alchemist?s. [/spoiler] ?that?s just incase you had missed that part? it took me a couple times reading through that chapter to realize that!^^[/color][/size][/font][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]

[/color][/size][/font][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]?and I feel really dumb because one of the times I put a spoiler tag thing in I didn?t type it right and a mod had to fix it![/color][/size][/font][/font][/color]

[QUOTE][SPOILER]And also about Pride: if you haven?t already noticed on page five of chapter 49 when Wrath?s talking to Pride they kind of show his face shaded.[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]
:O I didn't notice that! [SPOILER]Too bad the silhouette is so simple, you can't get many details out of it... however! his shirt collar seems similar to the military garb. Maybe Pride is another officer? ]:O [/SPOILER]

[QUOTE]Ah who?s the Crimson Alchemist again? *Feels really dumb for not being able to remember*. I think it?s Marco? Or Kimbly[/QUOTE]
*had to look it up* It's Kimbly. [SPOILER]However, I [I]don't [/I] think he's Pride, not just because of that silhouette from chapter 49, but he was imprisoned by the state. Wouldn't/couldn't he have escaped if he were a sin? Like, Wrath could've gotten him pardoned or something. I just think he's crazy XD[/SPOILER]

FTA says the chapter should be out within the next day or so. ^0^ Not that I mind waiting (though the Ling suspense is killing me!)

Oh I don't even know what to start talking about with the latest chapter! I absolutely loved the latest release! So many things going through my mind I am just going to dive in!

Envy [spoiler]in that nasty true form is very much nightmare fuel. It disturbed me how the people from were all talking and the part when the one little arm reaches out and pats Ed on the top of the head...disturbing. Or when the voices starting saying "Thank you" to Ed when they were leaving Gluttony. Creepy![/spoiler] Very sad yet very creepy.

I really did like the part when [spoiler]Ed goes through the door and meets up with Al's body. I just kept thinking to myself Ed really needs to start chowing down and pack on some pounds if/since he is supporting Al's body on the other side. Al's little skinny body was so sad! You could see his ribs and everything. I just feel like I need to cook a huge meal for that boy![/spoiler] I love how Ed pointed at him before leaving and commanded him to wait there. I just got the feeling that he was fine waiting patiently for Ed and [spoiler]his soul[/spoiler] to return to claim him.

Oh and of course the entire storyline progression with Bradley telling Roy his past. That was sad and very messed up. [spoiler]All those guys who died just for the experiement to inject the "Stone" into living humans. Breaking them down and rebuilding them over and over until someone survived or they died a horrible death.[/spoiler] The pure evilness of that act is no wonder that Bradley is the way he is.

And the end of the chapter with the [spoiler]Elric boys, Ling, Envy and Gluttony[/spoiler] meeting up with "Father"...Oh I can't wait until January when the next installment comes out!! This last issue was amazing and I loved it. Oh the drama of it all is great. I wish there was a way to get a copy of the next issue now!!

My mind is running a mile a minute after finishing that issue. The only thing it could have used was a bit more Xiao Mei. But hey, what do you expect from me. She is so flippin' cute and she and Al are just so sweet together! I think I am going to go re-read that again. :catgirl:

Man that was great.
[spoiler]Hikari no Hoenheim seems to be pulling the strings in this homunculi business, but why would he create Wrath that way... [b]and what did he mean "Will you be the one who accepts my wrath"[/b] does this means that my theory about him extracting the sins from his soul and implanting them into the homunculi are true?[/spoiler]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=black][color=navy][font=Comic Sans MS]Grrr. My dad decided to cut off the Internet because I wouldn?t come done stairs to watch a movie with him seriously right before FTA released the new chapter. Now I?m (not so) patently waiting for it to download. But I?m probably going to be forced to go to church before I can read all of it so I think I?ll just wait ?till I get back? oh! It?s still nine not ten! I forgot I never set my clock back after daylights saving time!
*Reads it*
Blah. I really liked the fact that we got info on how [spoiler]The Fuhrer became a homunculus ?and how he didn?t kill Mustang for finding out! And I?m happy that Ling, Ed, and Envy finally got out of Gluttony. And oh no! [/font][/color][font=Comic Sans MS][color=black]Edo[/color][/font][font=Comic Sans MS][color=black] and Aru just saw ?Father?. Them meeting him just doubled my belief that he?s Hohenheim? but there?s still the slight chance he could be an evil twin? his face looks too mean and evil. ?and he doesn?t wear glasses. Darn. I?m stuck thinking of Hohenheim from the anime where he was just funny (I loved his face when Winry and Sheska ran away from him. XD[/color][color=navy][/spoiler]

Blag? I wrote that junk at nine but haven?t had a time to finish my post. >:-P
Hmmm. There was more I wanted to say [spoiler] I think Gluttony?s going to die soon for eating Ling, Ed, and Envy. ?umm Envy freaking scares me ?I wonder how many of his fangirls would like him as much if they see his true form in the manga or if the learn he kills Ed in the anime . Also I don?t really get why all those people?s souls were inside Envy. Was it because they were used to create him? So why aren?t all the other homunculi like that? ?oh! And Alphonse?s really body was so cute! ?Even if he looked like he was starving, poor thing. That scene was pretty sad but kind of sweet. And I thought all was a girl at first.^^;;[/spoiler]

Also I read on the new FTA boards that Arakawa-sensei's address is in the chapter some where...[/color][/font]

[/color][/size][/font]

I still have to get the third one... I got the second one a couple of months ago. I didn't get the first one, since I know everything that happens in it. Can any one tell me in which one does[SPOILER]Hughs die? Thats the one I want. Its so sad...I cried watching the anime of it.[/SPOILER]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Nomura]I still have to get the third one... I got the second one a couple of months ago. I didn't get the first one, since I know everything that happens in it. Can any one tell me in which one does[SPOILER']Hughs die? Thats the one I want. Its so sad...I cried watching the anime of it.[/SPOILER][/quote]

That happens in volume 4. I know what happens up to chapter 53, still, I have the manga up to volume 4, since I believe it is worth purchasing. Viz's translation is quite accurate.
[spoiler]That part is sad indeed, I cried as well. The following is quoting straight from Viz's release of the manga in the United States:
"Mama, why do they have to bury papa? Why are you guys burying my papa? No... No... If they do that, papa won't be able to go to work anymore... Papa said he had lotsa work to do! No. Please don't burry him... [b]PAPA...!![/b]"[/spoiler]

By the way, a few posts ago, I mentioned about the edit and somebody (I am too lazy to check for names now) pointed out that the japanese release had the box as well, I checked on the MSN group and they have the box there as well. I have an scanlation somewhere that does not show the box, if I find it, am I allowed to post it?

[color=darkblue][size=1]The general rule of thumb about outside links is that as long as it pertains to the subject at hand and it's not blatant advertising, it's all right.

So, in short, yes, you can post a link if you find it. Thanks for asking, heh.[/size][/color]