Dragon Warrior

Do you like Star Wars??  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Star Wars??

• Yes
    • No
    • Somewhat
    • What is Star Wars?

No, I'm just an average guy who hates seeing people waste their lives complaining about useless jumbo :D

[spoiler]The "Noooo!" did strike me as retarded, though. He could've at least fell to his knees. It'd look a lot better. I mean, might as well have said "Meh, she's dead. On with the show."[/spoiler] But yes, it was a matter of taste, I s'pose. I enjoyed the movie enough to get my Star Wars fill. Oddly enough I didn't get the feeling I did when I saw the last LOTR. After watching Return of the King, I was terribly sad it was all over. But after Episode Three today, I'm not sad at all. I guess I liked LOTR more and it had more of a dramatic effect on me after seeing what they did behind-the-scenes and stuff (being an actor myself I can relate). Oh well...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that was a bit cheezy myself.

[quote] [spoiler] The Chewbacca appearance was rather ridiculous.[/spoiler] [/quote]

This may have already been replied to, but I feel that I should say that Wookies are incredibly long-lived, compared to humans. The average Wookie reaches 200 years, or better.

But the question I'm bringing up here today is this:

Super Shadiow of supershadow.com: Does anyone else, besides me, think this guy is full of crap? If you're not familiar with him, check his site out. If he's lying, he's not very good at it. If he's not, then he's not very good at telling the truth either.

-Justin

[quote name='Dragon Warrior'] (being an actor myself I can relate). Oh well...[/quote]

You're an actor, but couldn't pick up on the poor acting in this film? :animeknow

[quote name='Justin']Super Shadiow of supershadow.com: Does anyone else, besides me, think this guy is full of crap? If you're not familiar with him, check his site out. If he's lying, he's not very good at it. If he's not, then he's not very good at telling the truth either.[/quote]

It's pretty much indisputable that the guy is a hack based on things I've read from both sides of that.

Anyway, it seems like most of this thread has gotten deeply into things I don't care to know, lol. I'll be on my way.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']You're an actor, but couldn't pick up on the poor acting in this film? :animeknow: [/quote]

I wasn't being too picky on the acting. I thought it was done as it should be done (even if I admit the "Nooo!" was retarded). The only other part that I found slightly poor was [spoiler]when Anakin was talking to Obi Wan right before they started fighting. Anakin sounded very monotonous, but I am under the impression that was what they were going for.[/spoiler]

Finally, someone who agrees with me. :D Thank you, DW. :p

[quote name='Justin']This may have already been replied to, but I feel that I should say that Wookies are incredibly long-lived, compared to humans. The average Wookie reaches 200 years, or better.[/quote][spoiler]I thought the appearance of Wookies in general was alright, but even if Chewwy, age-wise, fits in there, it's the whole thing about how unnecessary it was. Like they were sticking him in there as a high-ranking general and all that for the Hell of it. It's not like it would have mattered, anyway, because Chewbacca was hanging out with Han in episode IV as just a freelancer.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior]I wasn't being too picky on the acting. I thought it was done as it should be done (even if I admit the "Nooo!" was retarded). The only other part that I found slightly poor was [spoiler']when Anakin was talking to Obi Wan right before they started fighting. Anakin sounded very monotonous, but I am under the impression that was what they were going for.[/spoiler][/quote]I definitely agree with that first Darth Vadar part, but as for the other one, I thought that Anakin did an especially good job there, haha. You could really see his anger, and his anger was justified and made sense.

I also agree that his acting was fine, except in a select few parts. I do agree with Dagger concering the whole "you are so beautiful" scene. I literally cringed and shut my eyes through that part, couldn't stand it, heh.

The conversation right before Anakin and Obi-Wan began to fight was fine, in my mind. I really liked it. But the party right before Anaking gets [spoiler]every limb other than his mechanical hand chopped off[/spoiler] by Obi-Wan was the only thing that really bothers me. His "you underestimate my power" was just so bleggh. If he had said "power" any differently, I am sure it would have been much better.

For all the EU readers out there at OB, which do you prefer, The OT books and those after, or the prequel books?

I am torn between the two. After having just read a great many prequel ones, and then picking up [i]Shadows of the Empire[/i] I don't know which I prefer. I am going to go back and read some OT books this summer, since it has been a good half a year to a year since I actually read one.

[QUOTE=Syk3]
Now for the parts that I didn?t like about the movie. [spoiler]First and foremost, I was rather disturbed at how quickly Anakin turned to the dark side after pledging his allegiance to Palpatine, which went from him just wanting to do what he can to save Padme to losing self-restraint completely. After watching the movie a second time, I noticed that the emperor had told him that he must fully immerse himself in the dark side in order to cheat death, but something still felt a little off about the whole thing.[/spoiler]
[/QUOTE]

About Anakin turning to the darkside, well [spoiler] they hinted at it in the beginning of the movie when he is rescuing Palpatine, but they gave the impression that Palpatine had been using the force to manipulate Anakins mind for quite some time. So when he went to the dark side he had already been going that way for quite some time. I think the book clarifies this a little better. Also when Anakin found his mother he killed every one of the sandpeople there, and such violence is definately going to lead towards the darkside, in my opinion[/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Syk3]At some points during the movie, I?ll agree with some of you and say that it did seem like they were trying too hard to tie things into the next one. Some of the things they did were pretty cool and helped a lot, like [spoiler]Obi-wan taking Anakin?s lightsaber away from the battle, the General Tarkin cameo, and the way that Darth Vadar got his suit, to name a few. But.. as much as I?d like to believe that putting the Death Star in there was a good idea, I don?t think it would have taken quite that long to build, yeah. Especially with being a ?new battle station? in A New Hope. The Chewbacca appearance was rather ridiculous, as well, and I thought it was kind of convenient that the only Jedi who didn?t die were Obi-wan, Yoda, and Anakin, but perhaps that?s the reason that we see them all in the future movies; we see them because there was no one left, anyway.[/spoiler]
[/QUOTE]

As for one of the ending scenes where [spoiler] Vader is watching the Death star being built. I do find it possible it could take so long to build. I mean we are talking about a station the size of a small moon! That's totally huge! As for it taking less time in The Return of the Jedi, just think about it and you'll know why. Technology improvements. So something that previously took so long now takes a lot less time to build. That's true with our technology, things take a lot less time to manufacture than they use to. [/spoiler]

Although there were things about the movie I didn't care for, overall I enjoyed watching it. And I definately think it's much better than the first two.

I agree with the "you are so beautiful" dialogue being atrocious, but I didn't find it wooden, just cheesy and clich'e. Star Wars has never taken itself ultra-serious before.

The funiest thing about that scene was seeing so many people in the cinema make gagging noises and let offf some profanity of soem sort. Right then I knew most people would not like this scene.

At least we only saw but a few moment's of Jar-Jar. Minus the lightsaber death I had hoped Lucas would throw in to satisfy the fans who have hated him so. :(

[spoiler] Vader's Noooooo! at the end, however, was quite clever. Classic Villainry. It works so well with Star Wars, because, Lucas wanted to pay homage to the Saturday matinee serials with Star Wars, so it makes sense to throw in a classic "villain-has-lost-everything-Noooooo!" [/spoiler] Yes, I think I actually burst into spontaneous applause upon hearing that.

[color=#737373]I just saw the film tonight so I thought I'd share my thoughts. Mind you, I have an inner-ear infection right now...so I'm not quite sure how coherent I can be. I'll keep it pretty short I think.

Basically, this film was as cheesy and silly as all the other Star Wars films. Although I do tend to prefer the original trilogy (primarily for the actors I think), I don't think anyone should expect these newer films to somehow be serious masterpieces. Star Wars was originally fairly plot-light and was really a showcase for then-advanced special effects. The new films are no different.

I think there are two key differences that I've noted. One is the fact that the actors often don't deliver the dialogue well. The original trilogy had equally fruity dialogue, but the actors at least often delivered it in the appropriate way. The "seriousness" of Luke Skywalker was often so over the top that it was kind of endearing and funny. It gave the movie some heart, I think. The new films seem to try too hard to be truly serious at some times...it's almost like being camp by accident. If it's accidentally camp, it comes off as jarring and annoying.

I felt that the new film was about on-par with Episode II (which was better than the first episode, I thought). That is to say, it was a little more engaging but still had some of the same issues - pacing, fairly poor performances and some jarring back-and-forth cutting (well, that relates to pacing I guess).

I have no complaints about the story. It made sense, it tied into the original trilogy...that's all peachy. It expanded on the original stories and was somewhat more complex, though still obviously pretty simplistic. But I think the attempt to flesh things out a bit more was done well and that made it more enjoyable for me.

As for the controversial stuff...I didn't really think the "You're beautiful" line was that bad. If it'd been in a Tarantino movie, it'd have stood out like a sore thumb. But in these films, it's pretty much on-par with all of the other dialogue. lol

The "Nooo!" was kind of poorly done and horribly cliche, but again, what are we really comparing it with here? There's nothing spectacular, dialogue-wise, to compare it to.

The bits that annoyed me most were probably some very small aspects, like when Vader [spoiler]stumbled off the operating table, ala-the robot from The World Stood Still)[/spoiler]. I just felt that looked pretty humorous.

Also, certain mannerisms of Palpatine...some of them were a bit random and caused my brother and I to laugh to ourselves. Again, I think it's probably the campness.

My overall view is that this film is pretty much what I expected. It wasn't as good as the original films, but it wasn't a whole lot worse. It's Star Wars...the campness, the humor and all of these things are part of the franchise. So, going in expecting that, I felt that it was relatively enjoyable. It didn't blow me away, but it made for some nice eye-candy and didn't have any glaring plot holes. So I came away satisfied.[/color]

Although I really enjoyed watching the new movie, I personally think the first Star Wars movie released in 1977 was the best out of all six movies. I'm always telling my friends that no other movie has done as well as it did, at least here in the US that is. I then get the speech about how Titanic made more money, but I remind them that they are forgetting to consider inflation since tickets were so much cheaper in 1977. I actually found a site that made a list of the top 20 movies in the US with the adjustment made for inflation and I was right. Star Wars does top the list. They even included what Titanic would have made based on inflation.

Anyway, here's the link to the site if you want to check it out. They have lots of other interesting facts about movies. ^_^

[URL=http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/index.html]Movie Charts[/URL]

• 2 months later...
My dad won't buy me any of the new Star Wars movies because he's awaiting them to come out in a trilogy boxset just like episodes 4-6 did when they came to DvD. He also wants to know if they're ever going to make a boxset with all six films. I'm sure they will, but has anyone heard anything?

*is a Necromancer, raising the dead and all*

• 3 months later...
[quote name='Dragon Warrior']My dad won't buy me any of the new Star Wars movies because he's awaiting them to come out in a trilogy boxset just like episodes 4-6 did when they came to DvD. He also wants to know if they're ever going to make a boxset with all six films. I'm sure they will, but has anyone heard anything?[/quote]

[SIZE=1]I would say chances are that at some point in the future, there'll be a full collector's set of all six films and bonus material, but given that we haven't even seen a Prequel Trilogy box set yet, a Saga box set would be an unsound move from a marketing point of view. Of course there is no doubt that eventually there will be one, but probably not in the next two years.

On a side note, has anyone else read the first two books of the new [B]Dark Nest Trilogy[/B] ? For those of you who don't know what the DNT is, it's the first book series set after the New Jedi Order, with the nine-book [B]Legacy of the Force[/B] to follow afterwards. I don't really want to go into any more detail until I can share my thoughts with others who've read to the books. [/SIZE]

• 4 months later...
[b]Dragon Warrior casts [i]Revive[/i] on [i]Star Wars 411[/i][/b]!

Basically I was having a silly discussion with my Star Wars-crazed friend the other day and we got to talking about Boba Fett. It was agreed he's the greatest bounty hunter ever [spoiler](and has yet to die in the series)[/spoiler]. Having discussed that, my other friend asked us if General Grievous could kill Boba Fett. Well, first off, we went on a rant about how Fett works for himself (despite the fact that most of his work is given by the Empire) and he'd probably never have conflict with General Grievous. I'm not sure why Grievous was the one chosen to fight Fett in our little discussion... perhaps 'cause my friend likes Grievous. Nevertheless, it was stated Fett could waste Grievous, even if Grievous had many of his guards helping (which he wouldn't anyways). [spoiler]In one of the many SW books, Boba Fett fights all the bounty hunters and wins. There's no way some half-robot/half-alien dude could defeat his skills.[/spoiler]

Having said all that now, I'm sure many of you will agree Fett is the best. I dunno how he does it, but he gets away with a lot of stuff. I wonder if George Lucas had planned for him to be a favored character in the series. He was hardly a main role in the trilogy or even in the new episodes (mainly just playing the delivery boy). After popularity soared, he got his own books and everything. He's one of the most popular characters in Star Wars now. Go figure.

[color=darkgreen][size=1]

I'm a big Star Wars movie fan. I'm particular to the Episodes 1-3, I guess because they were made for my generation, and I didn't grow up with the first ones (save Empire Strikes Back, which is actually my favorite older film). Upon watching one the many Star Wars docs which came bundled with one of the DVDs (I believe Ep.3) Lucas stated that he was suprised greatly by Boba Fett's popularity in the film's fan base. He had said something to the effect that if he had for-warning of Fett's popularity, he wouldn't have had him 'die' in such a humiliating way. (i.e. [spoiler]having his booster malfunction and launch him into the sand monster pit[/spoiler]).

Its a good thing that the books and comics kept him alive. I really enjoy Fett as a character, though I am a Sith faithful. Maul and Vader all the way, baby.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior][b]Dragon Warrior casts [i]Revive[/i] on [i]Star Wars 411[/i][/b]!

Basically I was having a silly discussion with my Star Wars-crazed friend the other day and we got to talking about Boba Fett. It was agreed he's the greatest bounty hunter ever [spoiler](and has yet to die in the series)[/spoiler]. Having discussed that, my other friend asked us if General Grievous could kill Boba Fett. Well, first off, we went on a rant about how Fett works for himself (despite the fact that most of his work is given by the Empire) and he'd probably never have conflict with General Grievous. I'm not sure why Grievous was the one chosen to fight Fett in our little discussion... perhaps 'cause my friend likes Grievous. Nevertheless, it was stated Fett could waste Grievous, even if Grievous had many of his guards helping (which he wouldn't anyways). [spoiler]In one of the many SW books, Boba Fett fights all the bounty hunters and wins. There's no way some half-robot/half-alien dude could defeat his skills.[/spoiler]

Having said all that now, I'm sure many of you will agree Fett is the best. I dunno how he does it, but he gets away with a lot of stuff. I wonder if George Lucas had planned for him to be a favored character in the series. He was hardly a main role in the trilogy or even in the new episodes (mainly just playing the delivery boy). After popularity soared, he got his own books and everything. He's one of the most popular characters in Star Wars now. Go figure.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Sienna]
I think Fett's popularity grew out of the fact that so little was known about him. He was just this cool guy with a jetpack and a spaceship who happened to be a bounty hunter. There was no fleshed out backstory, which left the door open for the subculture of Star Wars fanatics to fill the void with countless fanfictions and the like. This lead to him being insanley popular, IMO.

And yes, Bobba Fett is far and away the greatest bounty hunter ever... although he'd get his *** kicked in a fight with a jedi or sith. [/COLOR]

[quote name='The Boss][color=darkgreen][size=1]He had said something to the effect that if he had for-warning of Fett's popularity, he wouldn't have had him 'die' in such a humiliating way. (i.e. [spoiler]having his booster malfunction and launch him into the sand monster pit[/spoiler]).[/color'][/size][/quote]

The fact of the matter is [spoiler]Fett doesn't die at the Pit of Carcoon, but instead escapes his death by firing off several missiles and some other extreme stuntwork never shown on film. So fett still lives, as I stated before.[/spoiler]

And it'd be quite interesting to see Fett face a Sith of Jedi. I wonder if it has occurred in the series yet. I'm sure it has.

[color=darkgreen][size=1]

Notice this is why I put 'die' instead of die.

But yes, if those rumors of a Star Wars TV series came into fruitation, I'd like to see that match play out. [spoiler]Seeing as how his father didn't really fair that well against the Jedi, I'd think Boba would have learned from Jango's mistake. [/spoiler]You'd think he would have a deep rooted hatred for the Jedi, so I don't see why he wouldn't fight one, unless that is, he is just smarter than that.

On another note, seeing how [spoiler] Obi Wan handled Greivous with a blaster pistol,[/spoiler] I think Boba could handle him. Flamethrower, missiles and what not would probably come in handy against somebody with a weak inner core. But then again, Greivous wasn't much of a saber user. He just had his body as an advantage. If he had any real saber fighting skill, he could have handled a Jedi with a single lightsaber, seeing as how he was weilding four at a time. But a full blown force master Sith or Jedi would be a completely different story.[/color][/size]

Makes sense. I didn't really like Grievous. I did find him interesting how he was rebuilt like Darth was, though. You'd think when they rebuilt him, they'd give him better armor than that. [spoiler]I mean, Obi Wan shot him in his weak point so easily. There was barely anything covering him.[/spoiler] His heart is in plain sight, for God sakes!

I'd still like to see Fett fight a Sith or Jedi ;)

This was a timely thread revival, because.... *dramatic drumroll*

[url=http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html][u]The "Original Unaltered Trilogy" is coming to DVD in September![/u][/url]

I am [i]so[/i] getting this. I'm also absolutely stunned--but I must bow to their superior powers of franchise-milking genius. I can finally lay my VHS box set to rest.

~Dagger~

Excellent. I bought the original trilogy boxset (VHS) back when it came out (well, my parents did) and my dad insisted on waiting for the trilogy to come to DVD as its normal before he bought any new Star Wars. But in fact, I think we wanted to buy some boxset with all six episodes in it. I didn't think that'd happen for a while. Looks like I'll be an adult by the time it does :P

[SIZE=1]I swear, every time LucasArts makes an announcement I look at the stuff I've already bought from them and feel ripped-off, and sadly this latest one is no different. Yep like millions of other dedicated fans I bought the Original Trilogy Special Edition DVD boxset back when they were released and now find out that had I waited a year or two, could have got the new editions and theatrical versions together, which I have no doubt will also be released as a boxset eventually.

God help us all when Lucas decides to release the New Trilogy for the ninth time that features the ability to erase Jar Jar from The Phantom Menace...

As for the earlier question about whether or not Boba Fett would be able to defeat Grievous, well the reason Grievous' chest plates were more visible were because of an earlier battle with Mace Windu and Obi Wan's literally tearing them further open. In a straight battle, I reckon Grievous would make mince meat of Fett, I'm a Boba Fett and Clone Trooper fan, but in fairness let's not have flights of fancy here. As for Fett versus a Sith Lord, well if Grievous would have killed him, then I'd hate to see the poor SOB after a Sith Lord was finished with him. [/SIZE]

You know, that annoys me greatly. Lucas should have known to release the actual OT, remastered, on DVD [i]without[/i] pressure from the fans. What a complete douchebag, seriously.

And yet, like the Star Wars nerd I am...I'll be buying the new-old-new-old-(and so on) DVDs when they come out later this year.

Gavin, how sad is it that I'm buying them only to see Han shoot Greedo first (the way it should always be), to not have any lame Jabba insert in ANH, to see the original monkey-face Emperor in ESB, and to hear Nub-Jub in RotJ?

I think the only thing I'm going to miss from the remastered Special Edition DVDs, apart from the video/sound quality, is the little bit on the Death Star in ANH, when Han runs from an entire hangar full of Stormtroopers. That was mad crazy awesome. =D